Everton Independent Research Data


April 3, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 29)
Everton at Goodison-Park on Saturday managed to avenge their defeat of the previous week at Nelson, the East Lancashire team succumbing by 2 goals to 1. As this is Everton first Combination victory since January 7, the points will doubtless be appreciated. It must be remembered, however, that the team has not been at full strength for some weeks owing to several of the players being kept in reserve for the cup ties, and it is to be hoped that the position of the club in the table will be rapidly improved. The inclusion of Tom Booth strengthened the side, and it is pleasing to note that he is sound and well again. Everton also had a new goalkeeper in kelly, and beyond being a bit risky in his methods he kept a good goal. There was nothing does in the first half, although Monks, for Nelson, once headed against the bar, but on resuming Dilly put on a couple of goals for the Blues, Monks responding with a point for Nelson. Thornburn was again in poor form, and missed some easy chances, Rankin, McLoughlin, and Dilly, being the best forwards. Booth did splendidly at centre-half, while the backs were sound. Nelson did not give a bad display. Morris being a conspicuous worker throughout. Everton: - Kelly. Goal, Wildman, and McCartney, backs, Chadwick, Booth (captain), and Hanlin, half-backs Rankin, McLoughlin Thornburn, Caldwell and Dilly forwards.

Note . After their hard work in the cup-ties, Everton players enjoyed a rest last Saturday, a friendly fixture, which had been arranged at Belfast having been cancelled.

APRIL 3, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
The 34 th International Association match between England and Scotland at the Crystal Palace ground, London on Saturday, a crowd of 50,000 strong. England winning by one goal to nil.

Dundee Evening Post - Tuesday 04 April 1905
L.R. Roose of Everton confirms the statement published here last week that he will play for Patrick Thistle in the Glasgow Charity ties. The Welsh goalkeeper joined a section of the Scottish contingents in London on Saturday night, and acted as chaperon to the innocents.

April 6, 1905, The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The visit of the Arsenal to Liverpool yesterday was the result of the postponement of the March 25 fixture, when Everton, instead of entertaining the Gunners journeyed to Stoke for the English Cup game with the Villa. The Blues paid the Londoners a visit on November 26, on which occasion fog robbed them of an apparently certain victory, as they were 3 goals to 1 when the referee terminated the proceedings. On this form, yesterday's game seemed more than likely to provide the Blues with a couple more points, and thereby consolidate their championship prospects. Such proved to be the case, for the game ended in a victory for Everton by 1 goal to nil. The Evertonians had to turn out minus Sharp, who was rendered hors de combat in Saturday's, international. His capable understudy, Rankin, Balmer won the toss, and the Arsenal started against a fitful and troublesome breeze, filled his place. Everton at once got on the right, but Jackson checked, and the visitors made rather pretty play, but Taylor broke up the movement. Rankin and McDermott returned to the attack, but Jackson was again too smart for the right wing pair, and after a short spell of midfield work the Arsenal made ground on the right, and after Taylor and Crelly had both been beaten Roose was forced to run out in order to clear from Briercliffe. The first quarter of an hour play yielded nothing of special note for although both sets of forwards attacked in turn neither showed dangerous combination, and the backs were invariably allowed to clear. The Woolwich men forced a corner off Balmer, but nothing came to this, and then a promising breakaway by the home front line was spoiled through the referee pulling Young up on the ground of being offside. Woolwich again took up the attack first on the left when Balmer cleared and then on the right when Briercliffe beat Abbott and shot, but the ball went outside. At this point the London team were having much the best of the argument, but their tactics in front of goal were woefully lacking in finish and dash and though Balmer was once of twice in difficulties he managed to scrape through. A spurt on the part of the Everton forwards put some life into the game for a few moments, but the Woolwich backs played capitally, and several dangerous rushes were safely dealt with. Gradually, however, the Everton forwards began to wear their opponents down, and an exceedingly clever bit of footwork terminated in Young shooting into Ashcroft's arms. A momentary breakaway by the visitors right gave Briercliffe a fine opportunity of scoring, but he mulled it, and for some time after this play ruled all in favour of Everton. Hardman running down screwed in nicely, but Settle shot high over the bar, and a moment later the same player headed a pass by Rankin on the wrong side of the crossbar. At this period the Evertonians were decidedly the cleverer lot, and they kept the Woolwich men continuously on the defence. Their shooting, however, lacked judgement, and twice Young shot wide. A spurt on the part of the Arsenal right ended in the ball, being swung across to Templeton with the result, that the Scottish international put in a glorious shot which scraped the outside of the upright. This was followed by a perfectly combined movement on the part of the Arsenal forwards and Ducat nipping between the backs looked almost certain of scoring, when Roose ran out and punted clear. A moment later the visitors again pressed in a business like way, and Roose in clearing was hurt of the knee, but he speedily recovered. Further pressure by Everton was discounted in their weakness in finishing, and just before the interval the visitors almost scored, through Coleman, who ran right down the wing, and finished with a low shot, which the home custodian just cleared Everton exerted renewed pressure, and after McDermott had hit the side of the net, Young shot into Ashcroft's hands from an offside position. A few seconds later the Evertonians returned to the attack, and Young working through, scored a capital goal. Half-time Everton 1 goal, Woolwich Arsenal nil.

In the second half the Evertonians at once went away at a great pace, and two unsuccessful corners were forced in rapid succession. These were followed by a long shot from Balmer, which heartly beat Ashcroft, and a run down by Settle and McDermott, which was spoiled by Young's supinesness. For quite a long spell the home players monopolised the play and both Settle and Rankin missed the fine chances, while on the occasion Young apparently had an open goal before him, when he shot outside. At another time he just missed converting a short pass from Settle into a second goal. A moment or two later Abbott from long range, put in a glorious fast shot, which Ashcroft tipped over the bar. Roose meanwhile was comparatively idol, but when the Arsenal did at length make ground he saved a shot from Scatterthwaite with rare cleverness. Then on another occasion tried a pop at goal at goal, but the leather went over and the next item of interest was a fine low shot by Rankin which brought Ashcroft to his knees. The closing stages of the game were fought with desperate earnestness and Everton more than once experienced a hard time in not piercing the Woolwich defence. The Arsenal on the other hand showed rare dash and determination and they also might easily have equalising through the instrumentality of Ducat and Templeton. The defence on both sides was sound, and an interesting game ended in favour of the home side, by one goal to nil. Everton: - Roose goal, W.Balmer (captain), and Crelly, backs, Makepeace, Taylor, and Abbott, half-backs, Rankin, McDermott, Young, Settle, and Hardman, forwards. Wollwich Arsenal: - Ashcroft, goal, Cross, and Jackson, backs, Dick, Birden, and McKachrane half-backs, Briercliffe, Coleman, Ducat, Scarrethwaite, and Templeton forwards. Referee .Armitt.



April 10, 1905. The Liverpool Courier


Everton on Saturday did not accomplish that which they desired at Stoke. In an English cup tie, as everyone knows, they beat the Potters hip and thigh to the tune of four goals to nil. The League fixture, however, resulted in a division of the points. This is all the more remarkable, in as much as until the last quarter of an hour of the proceedings the Evertonians were regarded as certain victors. They were leading by two goals to nil, and the chances were all in their favour. Then with the desperation of despair the Potters pulled themselves together and made several furious raids on Scott's charge. Once they obtained a goal, which by the way was only awarded by Referee Kirkham after consultation with the linesman, there was no holding them, and after a sequence of Corners R.Balmer was unlucky was unlucky enough to head the ball into his own. Although the Evertonians were naturally disappointed no impartial spectator could begrudge the equalising point. It was the outcome of splendid determination. Indeed the closing stages of the game were as exciting as one could hope to witness.


Never at any period was the sustained of play above the average. There was any amount of hard work and vigorous bustling, but of the finer points of the game little was seen. Unquestionably Everton were the clever side. At the same time their forwards had evidently left their shooting boots at home, for Whitley had very few shots of any difficulty to negotiate. During the first half the Evertonians with the sun at their backs, enjoyed the bulk of the play, but they only scored through a penalty kick , which was granted when Rankin was brought down as he was about to shot. Makepeace was the artist, who took the kick, and who succeeded despite the theatrical display of Whitley on the six yards line. The second goal which Everton secured early on in the second portion was the result of a capital individual effort on the part of Hardman, who ran clean through on his own and defeated Whitley with a shot which the custodian never attempt. Whitley came in for some censure by reason of his apparent indifference, but all the same he had never a ghost of a chance of reaching the ball. Then, when the game seemed as good as won, the Stoke players rose to the occasion in grand style. Scott kept out not a few brilliant efforts, and when he was beaten it was questionable if either the referee of the linesman consulted could tell positively whether or not he carried the ball over the line. However the goal was given, and when after repeated attempts the second arrived almost on time Stoke thoroughly deserved the point for which they had worked with such whole heartedness.


It cannot be said that either set of players reached a high standard of excellence. Their form was suggestive of the closing days of the season. At the same time, whatever superiority there was remained with Everton. Still the Evertronians did not impress one as likely candidates for the championship. Having obtained a pronounced lead- scarcely warranted on the play-they ought surely to have been able to make certain of a couple of points. Scott was in no way to blame for Stoke's couple of goals. More than once he saved in masterly fashion. The backs, however, were not at all safe when hard pressed, the younger Balmer figuring with more success than his more famous brother. Makepeace was the best of the halves, with Abbott a good second. Forward the only man to distinguished himself was Hardman. Young was sadly of colour, and though Rankin tried hard, Sharp was sorely missed. Stoke were best represented by Holford, Rouse, and Holdcroft, though the backs, Meredith and Burgess presented a vigorous front to the Everton vanguard. Teams: - Stoke City: - Whitley, goal, Meredith, and Burgess, backs, Baddeley, Holford, and Sturess, half-backs, Heshane, Rouse, Hall, Holdcroft and Fielding forwards. Everton: - Scott, W.Balmer (captain), and R.Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Taylor, Abbott half-backs, Rankin McDermott, Young, Settle and Hardman forwards. Referee Fred Kirkham.



Plyd. W L D F A Pts

1 Everton…………………. 30 19 6 5 58 31 43

2 Newcastle United………..30 20 8 2 61 28 42

3 Manchester City…………30 18 7 5 58 43 41

4 Sheffield United ………...32 19 11 2 63 50 40

5 Small Heath……………..31 17 9 5 53 34 39


April 10, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 30)
The meeting of Everton and Ashton Town at Goodison Park was product of a moderate game, but it served to provide a couple of much needed points to the home side. So far as midfield play went Everton held a decided advantage, but when the forwards got near goal they threw away many chances. Dilly and McLoughlin were the only forward's to do themselves justice, the former playing with great dash as centre forward, and having hard lines with his shooting. He scored the only goal of the first half from a penalty kick, while afterwards a long shot from Roberts turned into the Ashton goal off the post. McCartney, at back gave one of his best displays, while Chadwick was the better of the halves. Yerdall, a new outside left, showed plenty of pluck, but lacked experience. The visitors backs did well after an uncertain start, but asked the ball too often. Mills at centre half got through a great deal of work, while the brothers Banks and Thomas were the best of the forwards, who, but for the weakness of McKenna at outside right, would have given the home defence considerable trouble. McLoughlin was off the field for some time in the second half, and during his absence the Town pressed to some purpose, but the sound defence of McCartney could not be overcome. Everton had the somewhat unusual experience of having to change the Blues jerseys to Black and White stripes at the interval owing to the similarily of the visitors colours. Everton:- Kitchen, goal, Wildman, and Kerr, backs, Hanlin,, Booth (captain), and Chadwick,, half-backs Roberts, Caldwell, Dilly, McLoughlin, and Yerdall, forwards.

April 10, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
The last of the international games played at Belfast on Saturday, when Ireland entertained Wales, the game resulted in a draw of two goals each.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Tuesday 11 April 1905
Yesterday the Everton League team tried another course of Northwich brine baths, and followed it up with, for them, a unique experience. They were lowered in tub three hundred feet into the depths of the Barons Quay salt mine, which is forty acres in extent. The players were greatly impressed with the wonder an unfolded, and all "returned to terra firma with rock salt specimens. In addition to visiting the mine, the team also examined the working of Ashton's Salt Works.

April 17, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
Everton wound up their League season on Saturday, when they credited themselves with a victory by two goals to one over Small Heath. It was a fitting termination to successful work at Goodison-park, seeing that 30 out of 34 points have been gained, and that only one club-Sunderland- can boast of having vanquished the Blues on their own territory. This is, indeed, a capital record in these days of strenuous rivalry, and what remains now is for the Evertonians to go all the way in their matches at Manchester Woolwich, and Nottingham and make certain of the championship, which has so frequently just been snatched from them. The task is no light one, in as much as the games are to be played on Good Friday, Saturday, and Easter Monday. Still, it should not be beyond the prowess of the team if only that extra effort is put forth. It would be a great consolation for the disappointment of the semi-final ties of the English Cup competition.


By vanquishing Small Heath, Everton maintained a somewhat unique record. The Heathens have never yet beaten the Evertonians in a League match. They have had an attempts to do so, but their only success has been a couple of drawn games. However, at one period in Saturday's match it looked as if the visiting side might snatch a victory. The first half especially, as far as Everton were concerned was suggestive of the end of the season's football. They made openings enough, but apart from weak shooting with a general slackness, which, was not encouraging to their supporters. The Heathens were in vigorous mood, and the goal, which Hartwell registered from long range, was thoroughly well deserved. However, in the second half the home team imparted more life into their movements, and in the end had their opponents completely beaten. The equalising goal fell to Young, but it was really the outcome of smart tactics by Taylor, who parted with the ball to the centre, just at the right moment, Young would have obtained the second point on his own account had he not been tripped within the forbidden area. However, it mattered little, as the penalty kick being entrusted to Makepeacea a penalty goal accrued. By the way this was the seventh goal which this vastly improved right half has put on for his side this season; indeed,, only on one occasion has he been unsuccessful with a penalty kick. In the closing stages the Heathens, with a little luck, might have drawn level, but for the most part the run of play favoured the Evertonians.


It must be remembered when considering the players that the victors were short of three of their regular representatives-Crelly, Sharp, and McDermott. At the same time, it cannot be said that the substitutes were unsuccessful. For the first time this season the veteran Jack Taylor appeared in the forward line, Booth, who has had an unfortunate season on account of injuries, taking his place at centre half. Needless to say Taylor did his best, but he scarcely possesses now the speed requisite in a forward. At the same time many of his touches were in quite his best vein. It was also evident that Booth has lost little of his old skill, but the most effective of the halves was Makepeace. Young accomplished much good work, while the left wing was undoubtedly superior to the right, while Rankin and Taylor hardly fell into each other's style. The brothers Balmer performed creditably, and Roose in goal was always reliable. Without being showy, the Heathens both in attack and defence proved worthy antagonists, despite the fact that they turned out without such men as Beer, Wigmore, and Field.

Everton:- Roose goal W.Balmer and R.Balmer, backs, Makepeace Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Rankin Taylor, Young, Settle, and Hardman forwards. Small Heath:- Robinson, goal, Stokes, and Beers, backs, Wigmore, Dougherty, and Athersmith, half-backs, Green, James,, Jones, Wilcox, and Field, forwards. Referee Mr.Dennis.



Plyd. W L D F A Pts

1 Everton…………………31 20 6 5 60 32 45

2 Newcastle United………30 20 8 2 61 28 42

3 Manchester City……….31 18 7 6 59 34 42

4 Sheffield United……….32 19 11 2 63 50 40

5 Small Heath…………...31 16 11 4 54 39 36




April 17, 1905. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 31)

Everton cup up badly at Stalybridge where the “Wooden spoonists” inflicted upon them a 3-0 defeat. Everton played in very poor form throughout, and the defenders had a good deal of work thrown upon them. The Rovers played up wonderfully well, and the inclusion at centre of Galvin late of Brynn Central, made a wonderful difference to the forwards. The newcomers helped himself to a couple of goals in the first half, and altogether gave a capital impression. Everton: - Kitchen goal, Wildman, and McCartney, backs, Hanlin, Chadwick, and Hutchinson, half-backs, Roberts, Caldwell, McLoughlin Maguire, and Yendell forwards.



April 22, 1905. The Liverpool Courier


Yesterday at Manchester Everton commenced the very difficult task of playing three matches in four days in their quest for sufficient points to enable them to make their position as League leaders secure. They had by no means an easy task in meeting Manchester City, who themselves had a chance of securing the championship, and they were unfortunate in having to turn out with out Makepeace, their most consistent half-backs, who had to be left behind at Blackpool suffering from a severe cold. However, Sharp and McDermott were able to reappear, and with Burgess the only absentee on the City side, the teams were as follows: - Manchester City: - Hillman, goal, McMahon, and Norgrove, backs, Frost, Hynds.and Buchan, half-backs, half-backs, Meredith, Livingstone, Jones, Turnbull, and Booth, forwards. Everton: - Roose, goal, W.Balmer, and Crelly, backs, Booth (captain), Taylor, and Abbott half-backs, Sharp McDermott, Young, Settle, and Hardman, forwards. Referee J.H.Howcroft. There would be over 35,000 spectators present when Young started against the wind, and Sharp got away his centre being cleared by Hunds. Taylor and Booth did good work, and the City were kept in their own half for some time. Hynds initiated a good movement, and Meredith put the ball through but Booth had just before been penalised for offside. The City continued to press, and Roose fisted out a fine shot from Meredith. Everton at length got going on the left, only for Young to get offisde as he shot pass the post. Later Crelly cleared in fine style, and the Everton forwards dashed away, Young calling upon Hillman with a slow shot. A mistake by the referee gave Meredith a clever course, but Abbott managed to get in the way of his shot. A moment later, however, the Everton goal had a narrow escape, Livingstone driving the ball at great speed inches on the wrong side of the post. Play was fast and exciting, but so far the City had held a decided advantage. After Hillman had handled from a weak shot by Young. Booth saved an almost certain goal by knocking Turnbull off the ball when the forwards was a yard or two from Roose, Turnbull was hurt, but soon resumed, and a couple of corners to the City were unproductive. After about 17 minutes play the City opened the scoring through Hynds the goal coming as the result of a free kick awarded against Taylor. The referee was at fault in awarding the kick, as Frost when jumping at the Everton half-back. The referee (Mr.J.H.Howcroft, of Bolton) was not very happy in his decisions, and he erred again when he pulled Young up for offside after the centre had taken the ball into the goalmouth. Everton failed to make headway against the worrying tactics of the home halves and the wind, out the shooting of the City forwards was poor. On one occasion, however, Roose saved grandly from Hynds, and from the succeeding corner he fisted out in fine style. Then Everton put on pressure, and from a free kick Sharp placed to Young, who was right in front of goal, but Hillman saved when a goal seemed certain. The Everton forwards now played up in something like their old form, and from a corner, forced by Hardman, McMahon was lucky to save after Hillman had lost the ball. Later Young headed just wide, and then the City got away, and Livingstone put on a second goal with a surprise shot, which just travelled inside the post. Everton were not done with, however, and after a corner had been forced without success. Hardman shot wide when splendidly placed. Next Frost hooked out the ball from Sharp when Hillman, was helpless, and again Young, when almost under the bar, managed to send the ball over. Half-time Manchester City 2 goals, Everton nil.

Jones restarted play and on three occasions Sharp got away only to be pulled up each time by the united efforts of Buchan and McMahon. Then the City went in front, but Crelly defended stoutly, although on one occasion Turnbull headed just over the bar from Meredith's centre. In quick succession Booth twice missed by inches, and Roose had to handle from the right wing. Crelly was hurt, but soon resumed, and Young made a good though ineffectual attempt to get through. A little later Hillman just kept Settle off the ball as the forwards dashed into goal, and the game was again stopped, this time owing to Sharp being hurt. The winger quickly resumed, however, and the City pressed, Roose fisting out from Booth. Sharp dashed away in promising fashion, and from his centre Abbott headed the wrong side of the post. Soon afterwards Hillman somewhat luckily robbed Sharp, who was running in with the ball at his toes. Everton were attacking with vigour, and Hillman had to use both hands to repel a great shot from Hardman. The City goalkeeper later saved from Taylor, conceding a corner, which was worked away. From another corner Hillman saved grandly from Taylor, and yet another corner brought no result. From a breakaway Balmer was at fault, but Booth missed an open goal.

The referee allowed quite a number of fouls to pass unnoticed, and the feeling among the players culminated in Booth knocking down his City namesake for an unfair charge on Balmer. Several of the players got to grips, and a general melee looked probable. Amid shouts off “Send him off” the referee after consulting a linesman, threw the ball up, and allowed the game to proceed. The game proceeded amid uproar, and play degenerated into a scramble. More attention was paid to the man than the ball, and although both sides were to blame the City were the greatest sinners in this respect. The referee did not improve matters by taking to Livingstone for kicking Settle, and then giving a free kick against Everton. Everton tried hard to reduce the score against them, but finished weakly, and failed to score: - Result; Manchester City 2 goals, Everton Nil.


It may be said at once that the City deserved their victory. They played with great dash, and their methods were in decided contrast to those of the Everton players, who either fiddled about with the ball until they were robbed or failed to take advantage of good openings. Sharp was, however, an exception and he gave a capital display. He, however, like Young, and Hardman missed a glorious chance. Still, the City also threw away good openings, and Booth in the respect was twice at fault. The City were lucky in securing the first goal, but the second point was the outcome of clever wing play and a fine shot. Play in the first half was a high order, the exchanges being fast throughout, but the second portion, after the first quarter of an hour or so, was a mere scramble. All through the referee was weak, and had no control over the players. Not only did he allow fouls to pass unnoticed, but he several times penalised the wrong side. It was not surprising therefore, to find the players indulging in shady tactics, and the outcome was that Booth, losing his temper, struck the City outside left for foully charging Balmer. Just before this Everton had shown splendid form against odds, but afterwards their combination suffered in the way the players went for each other, and their chances of making a good fight vanished. The home spectators became so demonstrative that a number of police were drawn up at the entrance to the Everton players dressing room, but, fortunately, their services were not required. It was a pity the Everton captain lost his temper, but a strong referee would early in the game have put a stop to any tendency to foul play. Sharp and McDermott were the best of the Everton forwards. Young made many mistake and Settle and Hardman could not overcome the attentions of Frost. Taylor was the best of the halves, while Crelly gave a fine account of himself and was probably the best backs on the field. Manchester were best served by Frost, Hynds, Meredith and Livingstone, but the last named was none too particular in his methods. Both goalkeepers did their work well, and Roose was not to blame for the goals scored against him.



April 22, 1905. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 32)

This rearranged match took place at Bolton before 4,000 spectators. Everton had the best of the attack in the first half and scored through Thornburn. The second moiety was more evenly contested. Shaw equalising from a corner, and Evans scored Everton's second goal in a similar manner. Towards the close Everton were hard pressed, but Kitchen kept a fine goal. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Wildman, and McCartney, backs Hanlin, Chadwick, and Hutchinson half-backs, Roberts, Dilly, Thornburn, Caldwell, and Evans, forwards.





Plyd. W L D F A Pts

1 Everton…………………32 20 7 5 60 34 45

2 Newcastle United………31 21 8 2 65 29 44

3 Manchester City……….32 19 7 6 61 34 44

4 Sheffield United……….33 19 11 2 63 54 40

5 Small Heath…………...32 17 10 5 54 36 39




April 24, 1905. The Liverpool Courier


Woolwich is not a pleasant place, and an afternoon's sojourn there was fraught with disaster on Saturday for Everton for Everton, who brought good weather and a bad record from Manchester, and left with the latter still further besmirched. When the teams first met in November, Everton were romping home to the spirited tune of three goals to one. In the home fixture at Goodison-park a fortnight ago this was reduced to the slower measure of a goal to love, and on Saturday the song of victory was on the other side. It is only necessary to recent this three-fold experience, however, to show how hard was the luck which dogged Everton's footsteps, and at a moment when a point probably means the honour of championship it is natural to call attention to the hardship of the rule regulating re-played matches in totally ignoring the points of the unfinished game. Under the circumstances Sunderland's victory at Newcastle was an act of poetic justice to Everton, and it only remains for the toffees to take advantage of this unlooked for result by chewing up Notts Forest to-day. The victory was a splendid item for the foot of the Arsenal's programme and completely removed the nasty impression left the week before by the wooden spoonists.


Everton were said to be a trifle jaded after their misfortune in Manchester and the railway journey south, and the services of precisely the same team that did duty on Good Friday were relied upon. The men, however, looked sprightly enough, and the contest was keen from beginning to end. In the opinion of local critics no faster or more exciting game had been played on the Arsenal ground during the season. Woolwich, having lost the toss, kicked off, and almost immediately Everton assumed a threatening aspect. Young with the first of many praiseworthy individual efforts, had worked through to a likely position for his shot when he was tipped. Fouls were prolific, and it was from a penalty some time later the Everton drew first blood. The incidents leading up to this goal were somewhat sensational, Sharp had picked up a good pass from McDermott and sent in at lighting speed, the ball striking the cross bar, and dropping in the mouth of the goal. The visitors claimed to have scored, but the referee decided against them, and a scrimmage ensuing one of the Arsenal men handled. A Penalty kick was given and Settle without a vestige of uncertainty found the net.


Up to the point the fortunes of the game had been peculiarly even. Each side had quite breathless escapes, the ball on several occasions travelling either over or outside the desired opening. Little surprise was occasioned when Ducat, receiving from a good centre by Templeton, beat Roose with a shot which left no chance for a save.


Having drawn one plum apiece, the teams crossed over, and the second half proved an almost exact replica in general features of the first-play continuing fast and the ball turning with wonderful rapidity the hopes of the spectator to anxiety and anxiety to hope. It seemed as though the result was to fairly indicate the character of the game, for until five minutes before the close of play the half-time score stood unaltered. Then a hope was suddenly realised. Scattethwaite receiving after some good combined work by Bellamy, Hunter, and Ducat, and overpowering Roose with a magnificent shot high up in the corner of the net. This proved to be the last event of any importantance, and the crowd dispersed with satisfaction.


As the game can only be described as anybody's, there is no need to apologies for the Evertonians. Although not quite as ready and successful on one or, two occasions in front of goal as is their wont, the forwards played a good game throughout. Young had particular hard lines more than once in not doing the necessary after excellent preliminary performances, and he was well supported on the wings. The halves were usually alert and effective, and Balmer and Crelly always managed to make capital out of rushes, which were not planned with discretion. Roose frequently had to negotiate with smartness and firmness, and without a successful combination of his qualities Everton would have found, themselves in a much bigger minority. Teams: - Woolwich Arsenal: - Ashcroft, goal, Cross, and Jackson, backs, Dick, Sand, and Ducat, half-backs, Hunter, Bellemy, Templeton, Scatterwaites, and Linwoody, forwards. Everton: - Roose, goal, W.Balmer, and Crelly, backs, Booth (captain), Taylor, and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, McDermott, Young, Settle, and Hardman, forwards.



Plyd. W L D F A Pts

1 Everton…………………33 20 8 5 61 36 45

2 Newcastle United………32 21 9 2 66 32 44

3 Manchester City……….32 19 7 6 61 34 44

4 Sheffield United……….33 19 11 2 63 54 40

5 Small Heath……………33 17 11 5 54 37 39




April 24, 1905. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 33)

The second string of Manchester City appeared at Goodison-park on Saturday, and Everton Reserves were given an opportunity of avenging the defeat of their seniors on the previous day. They succeeded in reversing Friday's result but had all the chances been utilised the score in their favour would have been considerably more than 2-0. Right from the start, Everton attacked. The forwards showed decided improvements up in recent displays and, well backed up by the halves, they gave the City defenders plenty of work. Edmondson kept a good goal, and although Everton had considerably the best of the opening half only one goal was scored. Caldwell obtained this, but it was only weak finishing to otherwise good forward work, which prevented Everton from establishing a useful lead. In the second half Everton again held the upper hand, and Dilly added a second goal in brilliant fashion after a grand run. One of the visitors retired hurt, and the City, playing one back were able to prevent their goal being captured again. The visitors custodian dealt with some good shots in clever fashion, but the home forwards should have given him more work to do. Kitchen had a fairly easy time throughout, but he was lucky on one occasion when he fisted the ball against the upright, the leather going outside. For Everton, Dilly, Evans, Chadwick, and Wildman all did well, the visitors being best represented by Edmondson, Christie, Dearden, and Bannister. Everton: - Kitchen goal, Wildman, and McCartney, backs, Hanlin, Chadwick, and Hutchinson half-backs, Roberts, Dilly, McLoughlin, Evans, and Caldwell, forwards.



April 26 1905. The Liverpool Courier

Everton wound up their League season yesterday at Nootingham. At one time it was though that the match might have settled not only the League championship, but also the question of the Forest's position next season. however, Bury have kindly relieved any anxiety which Notts Forest might have had, but still this match was important to Everton seeing that it was their last chance of acquiring points to keep them in the running with Newcastle United and Manchester City for the championship. The Everton players travelled from London on Sunday afternoon, and stayed at the Victoria Hotel. Three alterations had to be made in the team- Roose, Crelly, and Young being absent owing to injuries. The consequence was that R.Balmer, Scott and McLoughlin came into the side. The Forest had their best available side. The players lined up as follows:- Everton:- Scott, goal, W.Balmer, and R.Balmer, backs, Booth (captain), Taylor, and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, McDermott, Settle, McLoughlin, and Hardman, forwards. Notts Forest:- Linacre, goal, Craig, and Dudley,, backs, Forman, Henderson, and Timmins, half-backs, Davies, Shearman, Lessons, Morris, and Spouncer, forwards. Referee T.Armitt. The Forest won the toss, and Settle kicked off against a pretty stiff breeze. Everton were the first to show up, but the game hardly been started when Booth received a bit of a shaking. From the free kick Everton forwards went for goal in praiseworthy style, and twice the Forest goal luckily escaped, once from Settle and the next time from Sharp, who forced a corner off Dudley. The pressure however, was not maintained, and by pretty footwork the Forest attack seriously troubled the Everton defenders. They compelled Abbott to grant a corner, and from this Morris move in at terrific pace. Scott tipping the ball over the bar in great style. This corner led to further pressure by the Reds. Young Balmer tried hard to get the ball through a ruck of legs, but he failed, and the tension was only relieved when Forman shot just over the crossbar. The wind bothered Everton a good deal and the play perhaps naturally was in favour of the Reds, whose forward work was particularly smart, Spouncer in attempting a centre placed behind, and the same player a moment later was palpably offside when he fastened upon a pass from Forman. Scott had to run out to a long shot from Henderson, and then Booth was applauded for a singularly clever clearance when Morris apparently had the goal at his mercy. So far the game had pleased the crowd, who numbered about eighteen thousand. Everton could make little impression, on the home defence, and once Lessons, by pretending to play the ball, trickily left an opening for Morris, who brought Scott to his knees with a fast shot. Taylor opened out the play, but Settle got offside, and again the Reds pressed Everton hard. There was a hesitancy however, when in the vicinity of goal, consequently Scott was rarely troubled with anything like a difficult shot. By way of diversion Hardman raced down the wing and Linacre fisted a fine dropping centre out. They were soon defending again, and with the backs not too safe it was rather remarkable how the Everton goal escaped capture. Suddenly the Evertonians changed the scene. They made play on the right., and Sharp, after taking the ball down beautifully, passed it back. Settle could not quite reach it, but McLoughlin was at hand, and beat Linacre with a shot, which gave the custodian no chance. Immediately afterward the Forest goal was almost captured as the result of a similar movement initiated by Sharp. This time Linacre was better supported, and the ball was got away. Everton, However, were now playing in, more like their best form. Neat work by Abbott placed Hardman on the go, and the amateur flashed in a centre which Linacre and threw away, Sharp was injured in a collision with Dudley, but though he limped a little he quickly resumed. Forest recovered somewhat, and invaded Everton's half, but their forwards were still in a hesitating mood. It was by no means a game to grow enthusiastic over, there being frequent mistakes on both sides. Scott ran out to Shearman, and only just managed to divert his shot at the expense of a fruitless corner. Offside on the part of McLoughlin neutralised otherwise good work by the visiting left wing, and at the other end Spouncer headed right into Scott's hand. The quality of the play if anything deteriorated, and it was not surprising that the crowd encouraged their favourites to play up. Craig was penalised for an unfair charge. And although young Balmer from the free kick landed the ball in the goalmouth Everton failed to turn it to account. The ball was in the Forest half when the interval arrived. Half-time Everton 1 goal, Notts Forest nil. In the second half the Forest played very pluckily against the wind and sun and gave Scott a great deal of work to do, but he saved from Morris and Frank Forman. After some tricky play by McDermott and McLoughlin Settle, sprinted away to the other end, and the centre forward getting his foot to the ball beat Linacre from long range with a beautifully judged shot, which the goalkeeper never saw. Sharp made strenuous efforts to increase the lead of the visitors, several times beating Timmins for speed. Play was very scrappy in the concluding stages, and nothing more was scored. Final :- Notts Forest nil, Everton 2.



April 26, 1905. The Liverpool Courier

Fine weather favoured this match at Goodison-park yesterday, and about 5,000 people were present at the start. The teams were: - Everton: - Kitchen goal, Wildman, and McCartney backs, Hanlin, Chadwick, and Ritchie, half-backs, Roberts, Dilly, Thornburn, Cook, and Evans, forwards. Clifton Ville: - McFee, goal; Seymour, and McIlroy, backs, Wright, Cochrane, and D.Smith, half-backs, Blair, Scott, McComb, Thompson, and H.Martin forwards. Thornburn started, and Everton at once went to the front, Cook shooting wide. In quick succession Dilly tried a couple of shots, the first just missing, while the second was stopped by McKee. A somewhat questionable free kick against the Irishmen put a stop to what promised to prove a good piece of combination, and Everton returned to the attack, McFee saving from Evans. The visitors responded in fine style, and after Kitchen had saved well from McComb, H.Martin headed the ball into the net very neatly. For some reason or other than goal was disallowed, but the visitors continued to press for some minutes. They were eventually driven back, and Dilly had hard lines with a fine shot, which beat McFee and hit the post. A corner followed, from which McFee saved from Cook. The Itishmen played with commendable spirit, and their backs worked with success against the home forwards, who were inclined to indulge in too much passing when near goal. Once, however, Dilly hooked the ball into the net following good work by Cook, but this goal also was disallowed for offside. A neat bit of play by McComb gave Blair a chance, but the outside man shot wide. Following a lot of end to end play Dilly, beat McFee with a surprise shot. Later Dilly ran through, but when close to the goalkeeper, he missed his kick. At half-time Everton led by a goal to nothing. Everton pressed on resuming, and Roberts looked like getting through when he was fouled. The referee pointed for a penalty kick, but as the offence took place outside the penalty area, he altered his decision, and gave a free kick. From the ball was placed over the bar, and the visitors attacked, Scott sending wide. Chadwick was kicked in the face and retired, and during his absence Thornburn missed an open goal, an example followed by McComb at the other end. Cliftonville had the best of matters for some time, but shot, wretchedly. Chadwick returned, and then two of the visiting forwards missed an open goal. Thornburn was at fault on several occasions, but once McFee saved very well from Dilly. The visiting forwards often got away, but were either offside or shot wildly, Everton did not over-exert themselves, but had little difficulty in holding their opponents in check. Thornburn retired before the close, and Everton won by a goal to nil.

Everton and Their Players.
London Daily News - Thursday 27 April 1905
The statement that Scott and Rankin, of Everton were going to Newcastle and Woolwich respectively is shown to be inaccurate, reason of the fact that both have been re-engaged by the Goodison Park club. The other old players engaged William Balmer. Crelly, Taylor, Booth. Makepeace. Young. Settle. Robert Balmer. M'Lougblin. And while R. Roose and H P. Hardman, the amateurs, are expected to turn out again next season. Sharp and Abbott have not yet signed, but are expected to do so. Everton leave to-day for a tour in Austria-Hungary, where they play six matches, including one against Tottenham Hotspur

Everton and Their Players.
London Daily News - Thursday 27 April 1905
The statement that Scott and Rankin, of Everton. Were going to Newcastle and Woolwich respectively is shown to be inaccurate, reason of the fact that both have been re-engaged by the Goodison Park club. The other old players engaged William Balmer. Crelly, Taylor, Booth. Makepeace. Young. Settle. Robert Balmer. McLaughlin. And while R. Roose and H. P. Hardman, the amateurs, are expected to turn out again next season. Sharp and Abbott have not yet signed, but are expected to do so. Everton leave to-day for a tour in Austria-Hungary, where they play six matches, including one against Tottenham Hotspur

April 28, 1905. Liverpool Echo
“Admirer” brings to the notice of the public an Everton supporter's bravery by the following letter; - “On Monday, at Nottingham, I witnessed a brave act by an Everton supporters. Two little boys fell into the river Trent, and this Liverpool youth threw off his overcoat and dived in and handled one and then the other to his chum, who was on the bank. Then he had to stand in his wet clothes for about fifteen minutes, until a gentleman took him to his house. I saw the two at the match later, so I think the gentleman must have given him new and dry clothes. I could not get the youth's name, but his chum called him “Bob,” and said he lived in the Southend, I trust that if he sees this he will publish his name, and then the local secretary of the Humane Society could try to get some reward for this brave act.”


April 1905