Everton Independent Research Data



April 2, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 33)

Meeting between the reserves of Everton and Liverpool are always productive of keenly contested games, and with the weather all in favour of a fine struggle it was not surprising to find a large crowd at Goodison Park last evening when the teams met in the first of their Lancashire Combination fixtures of the season. The attendance's was very satisfactory indeed, there being ten or twelve thousands onlookers who were rewarded by witnessing a well contested game, in which Everton proved the superior side, the “Blues” winning by two goals to one. The fixture had a great bearing on the championship, for both sides were in the running for honours. The defeat last evening rather puts the Livers out of court however, and Everton are now well on the way to attain their desire with 46 points for 33 matches. The game itself was well contested, all though, but as is generally the case in these local battles, the play never reached a high standard. The backs on both sides for a long time held the upper hand, and the goalkeeper did not have a hard time of it, although Sloan was kept pretty well employed in the second half. Chances, however, were missed frequently, the Reds forwards being the greatest sinners in this respect. Parkinson missed very badly on two occasions when he had a clear course. The Everton forwards were undoubtedly the more dangerous lot, and Lacey tested Sloan more than once, when another drive from the same player just missed the bar. Mountford was also prominent with a couple of good shots, but Liverpool rarely tested Berry, and at the interval neither side had scored. The second portion saw the teams fighting desperately hard for the lead, and the excitement was intense. Soon after resuming the Liverpool men missed a great chance for Uren, who had been playing an intelligent game, drove across a beautiful centre, but Hunter and Parkinson both missed the ball as it went across the goal, Hunter in his anxiety to score, lung himself headlong into the net. Another similar opportunity was not accepted, and the Reds, paid the penalty for there missed chances. When play settled down the Everton men proved the cleverer team, and after Sloan had served a grand shot from Lacey the Irish international scored a brilliant goal. With his back to Sloan he wheeled round and beat the custodian with a fine drive. Buck them ran right in, but shot weakly. Clever work by Speakman resulted in Liverpool equalising, the winger sending in a well judged centre for Parkinson to touch the ball past Berry. Everton came again near the finish, and Mountford centred brilliantly. Sloan caught the ball, but fell on his knees, and Jones put the leather into the net, this being his 33 rd point in the combination. Liverpool tried hard towards the close, but they could not score. Everton were slightly the superior team. They held an advantage forward, Lacey and Mountford being the most prominent, the Irishman in particular putting in some very clever work. Berry did not have much to do, Meunier and Stevenson defending well. Rafferty was perhaps the best of the halves, although Adamson was always prominent. On the Liverpool side Crawford stood out as a fine defender, whilst Peake was always in the picture. Uren proved the best of the visiting forwards. Some of his work being very clever, whilst Speakman showed much promise. On the whole however, the Everton backs had the measure of their opponents. The following were the teams: - Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Clifford, and Adamson, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Jones White, and Mountford, forwards. Liverpool- Sloan, goal, West, and Crawford, backs, Robinson, Peake, and J. Hughes, half-backs, Speakman, Hunter, Parkinson, Goode, and Uren forwards.



April 3 1909. The Liverpool Courier.


The climatic conditions at Goodison Park on Saturday afternoon were bad enough, and the playing pitch was none of the best, but the spectators expected to have better fare provided for them than was the case in the return game between Everton and Bradford City. It was about as feeble an exhibition for League teams as could well be imagined. Such displays are certainly not calculated to maintain interest until the end of the last dying season. True Everton were weakened in attack by the absence of Sharp and Freeman, but this was no excuse for wretched forward play. Bradford City were not much better, but as they managed to find the net once they had the supreme satisfaction of securing a couple of points, which may prove of infinite value to them in their efforts to avoid relegation to the Second Division of the League.


It was through no great cleverness on the part of the Yorkshiremen that they won the game; rather was it due to the amazing weakness of their opponents. Indeed the shot with which Whittingham scored during the first half was really the only decent attempt throughout a most disappointing match. Whatever credit there was must be accorded to the representatives of Bradford City, for it must be borne in mind that they had to play for a considerable portion of the second half without the help of Farrer, who had to be assisted off the field on account of injury. Jack Taylor stood out among his confreres for good solid work. Time after time he was in the thick of the fray, and it was largely due to his efforts that Bradford City's success was not more pronounced. As for the Everton forwards, they were unable to produce anything in the nature of combination. The left wing in particular was practically useless. Lacey in the centre failed to justify his selection for that position. Coleman could do nothing right, and the only man in the front line to exhibit any dash was Buck, although he was by no means a great success. Adamson did not do badly, but nether Balmer or MaConnachie was up to concert pitch. For old association's sake one was pleased to see Harold Hardman sprinting along the right in the style which made him so popular at Goodison-Park. He and Whittingham were the best forwards on the field, but, although they won, Bradford City's exhibition suggested that they will have a difficulty in maintaining their place in the premier League. Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor (Captain), and Adamson, half-backs, Buck, Coleman, Lacey, White, and Barlow, forwards. Bradford City: - Spndiff, goal. Torrance, and Farres, backs, Robinson, Comrie, and Hanger, half-backs, Bartlett, Whittingham, Hart, O'Rourke, and Hardman, forwards. Referee J.W. Bailey.



April 5, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

The 38 th annual encounter between the Associations football representatives of England and Scotland, which was played at the Crystal Palace on Saturday, was invested with additional interest by the presence throughout the whole course of the game of the Prince of Wales. A crowd of 30,000 witnessed England winning by two goals to nil. The Line did not play to Freeman with the result that the Everton man had no opportunity of proving his scoring abilities.



April 5 1909. The Liverpool Echo.

After weeks of waiting and some anxious moments, Everton have signed up Robert Frewen Turner, a young fellow, who is twenty-one years, and great football possibilities. Turner was loth to leave his own fireside, as it were, and, as is known fully now, said he would only do so if paid well, ignoring all the rules of the Football Association, as to the £10 limitation. We all make mistakes, Turner has made one which has unlike the hundreds previously committed by seasoned players, been discovered. That is Turner's misfortune. This penalty is a heavy one, when he makes his appearance at Walton he can be assured, as all players can, of a hearty welcome. In fact, the crowd will look upon him with such generosity of heart in view of recent happenings. He weights 11 st and stands 5ft 8ins in height. On Saturday, Mr. C.Cuff informed me he was at Leicester, and duly obtained the signature, and he adds that Turner, although Fosse lost, was again the outstanding man on the side. If selected he will of course play in the great local “Derby” between Everton and Liverpool on Friday next. Turner is a winger of class, too good a man to play in second League football, and of course the Fosse are going back to the second division, Everton's new winger was, the other day, declared by a well known critic to be the best out-side left in England, and while this may be a slight exaggeration, there is no doubt, that in class company, Turner might attain absolute brilliance. He is not of big built, but is just the size which full backs find so worrying. He is fast, and centres very accurately. That be knowns where the goal lies is shown by the fact that he has three times found the net this season, and it must be remembered that a winger as a rule are not guilty of shaking the rigging. Nevertheless Turner's stering point is his centering.


Everton Reserves at Pwllheli

April 15 1909. The Welsh Coast

By Ricardo

The name Everton has a good football ring about it, and naturally the visit of their reserves team to Pwllheli on Saturday attached a big muster of enthusiasts. The teams were;- Everton; Mercer, goal; Osborne and Balmer, backs; Michads, Armstrong, and Cooke, half-backs; Evans, Chickwood, Kirby, Hudson and Keeley, forwards. Pwellheli;- Bob Williams, goal; Wm Thomas and G. Evans, backs; W. Thompson, Bob Ellis and Bob Jones, half-backs; Mosley Jones, W. Griffith, Johnnie Williams, and Ben Evans, forwards. Mr Edwards, Menai Bridge was the referee.

The visitors who were veterans on the football field, started attacking the Hellian goal, but the Penquins' backs stood their ground –more, they gave the leather to the forward line, and then matters looked dangerous for the visitors. For a moment the homesters were frustrated in their movements, but R.D. Roberts raced up the right wing, passed to the centre nicely, and J. Williams placed the sphere gracefully in the net. This was an unexpected piece of good luck for the Penquins, and it was all the more appreciated. The moment the ball was in motion again I thought R.D. Roberts would have repeated his smart performance, but Keely frustrated him. The visitors found it necessary to keep an extra eye on R.D. Roberts, who had the war-spirit in him. The visiting forwards did not hesitate attacking when they got the chance, but found Bob Jones, Rhos, G. Evans, and Thompson on the quivive. Ben Evans, the home outside left, through smart as usual, had not much to do, and Bob Ellis, always a power in any team, somehow could not get himself into trim. Moseley's little moves were brushed aside by the opposing forwards, and he did not get much of his own way during the game. A foul against Everton enabled the Helians to get up, and almost in. Instanter the home goal, became the objective of the visiting forwards, but Rhos saved finely. A foul was given, against Penquins close to the danger zone, and Cooke converted. Everton got a corner, things were serious for the homesters, Kirby fought determinedly at close quarters, and he was rewarded with a fine goal. There were hopes the next moment that J. Williams would equalizer matters. But Osborne and Balmer were too strong and firm for him.

Evertonians' Pretty Football

The right wing of the Evertonians indulged in clever passes, which was much admired. Bob Jones was frequently in the thick of the fight, and as often was cheered for the way he took the ball from his opponents' toes. At last matters came to a head within a minute of the whistle h=going. The ball was confined within a very narrow circle close to Pwellheli goal, and Cooke scored. The second half was taken up with much erratic play. A collision between Ben Evans and Cooke resulted in the latter being incapacitated. The Evertonians could not get their way as Moseley, J. Williams, Bob Ellis and Ben Evans, were dangerous quartette, and there was R. D. Roberts who would not be trusted for an instant y the visiting forwards. The first line of the Evertonians were pit-a-pot on the ball, and showed many new points in strategy to the homesters. Their kicks were solid and certain, especially at long range. Ben Evans was starved and was offered a top-coat. Nothing of note took place now, and the game closed; Everton 2, Pwellheli 1.


April 10, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.



Local football enthusiasts had a great attraction yesterday when the two rival clubs met in the return League encounter at Goodison Park. The struggles of Everton and Liverpool are always a source of unbounded interest, and on these occasions' partisanship runs exceeding high, but when the meeting occurs on Good Friday; football excitement in the city is at an unusually high pitch. So it was yesterday. The spacious ground at Goodison Park presented a very animated appearance. Many thousands of football followers frantically struggled for admission, and the officials at the entrances had a remarkably busy time. At the time for the kick off the enclosure presented a very imposing spectacle, every nook and corner apparently being occupied, and spectators were still pouring in. There were close on 50,000 spectators present, and the gate receipts were £1,290. Although this is not a record for an Everton and Liverpool match, it is very near it.

On the Everton side Turner, the ex-Leicester fosse player, who is now on the “Blues” list, made his first appearance. The Liverpool team had also undergone one or two changes, places being found for Uren at outside left, and Crawford at left back, alterations which were noted with special interest.


It was a game, which bristled with good points, and in which both sides were hard triers, and very often the football was of a high-class order. Such a wide margin as five goals to nothing with which Everton managed to win, was not generally expected, although no one will begrudge the Blues their success, as they earned it by a style and standard of play which was superior to that of Liverpool. There was scarcely a weak spot in the home eleven, all of whom, worked together with thorough understanding, with the result that for the greater part of the game they more than held their own. The front line were oftentimes brilliant, and made an emphatic impression on the Liverpool defence which was more confident and sounder than usual. Everton had the promising lead of two goals at the interval. Coleman obtaining the first and Freeman the second. The resourceful Everton centre had thus not only the satisfaction of improving his record of goals for his club this season, but for the first time of making a tangible impression on the custodianship of the international Hardy. Things went in favour of the Blues in the second half, Freeman being responsible for one of the goals, whilst White and Turner secured the other two. Evertybody was delighted with Turner's display. In him, Everton have apparently got a very useful asset. He was ever on the quiuvive, and he put in some of the loveiest centres imaginable. He and White were a very fine wing. The half-backs were exceedingly safe, Taylor never sparing himself, whilst Makepeace was nearly always too smart for Goddard. As regards Liverpool there were some very good individual efforts, but there was a lack of finish in front of goal, and an inclination to finesse too much with the ball instead of parting with it. This often lost them much ground. Uren gave a good display and centred effectively. The defence worked hard all through, and in this department Crawford did some sterling work, not only saving the situation for his side several times, but tackling with good methods and effect. But no one on the Liverpool side did better than Raisebeck, who worked very hard all through, and shared the half-back honours with Taylor.


Liverpool won the toss, and Everton started. The first thing of note was a movement by the Liverpool right wing and centre, in which Robinson had a good chance, but shot weakly, the ball going outside. Everton did the bulk of the pressing for the first five minutes, but they found the Liverpool defence very sound. The attack continued to come from the Blues, and Sharp exhibited smart work. Raisebeck putting into touch. Uren was responsible for a useful run, but the ball was cleared. Following a free kick against Chorlton, Sharp got hold and centred. Crawford missed the ball, but Raisebeck cleared. Coleman was then brought down just outside the penalty area, but the ball was sent wide of the gaol. For the next few minutes Liverpool attacked, but the defence prevailed, and clever work on the part of the home line resulted in Hardy saving from Turner. Liverpool retaliated, but Hewitt got offside. Play settled down in the Liverpool half for some minutes, Hardy saving a dropping shot from Sharp. Robinson passed well to Goddard, but the outside man on being tackled by MaConnachie sent considerably wide of the mark. Freeman made a tame effort to get through from Turner's centre, but Hardy cleared, and Liverpool went right away, Scott saving grandly from Robinson. Makepeace, who put Freeman in possession, took up the goalkeeper's clearance. The centre cleverly tipped the ball to Coleman, who ran though, and Hardy running out, the inside right tipped the ball into an open goal, giving Everton the lead 15 minutes from the start. Liverpool made a great effort to draw level, but Goddard shot over the bar when in a good position. White and Turner were conspicuous for nice combined movements, and Hardy had to save from the new forward. Liverpool lost nothing for the want of trying, and when Hewitt shot in a favourable position the whistle went for some infringement. Immediately after this Goddard shot over the bar from a fine centre by Uren. This was followed by a fine bit of play by Hewitt, who swung the ball out to Uren, but the latter's centre was cleared by Balmer. Crawford, who got in a long shot, which Scott saved robbed Coleman, and soon afterwards MaConnachie emulated the Liverpool back's performance by forcing Hardy to clear a long drive. Later Crawford pulled up Freeman when the Everton centre looked like going through on his won, and he subsequently dispossessed Sharp when the latter seemed in a likely position for scoring. For some time Everton were the more dangerous, but Liverpool presented a stubborn defence, and the pressure was eventually relieved through Freeman getting offside. The Reds had a turn, but Harris headed away Gooduard's centre, whilst Taylor twice pulled up Hewitt. Liverpool's centre forced a corner off Makepeace, from which Raisebeck headed in, the ball going out side off a defender. Taylor cleared the second flag kick, but Goddard took the ball back, and Howitt headed wide. The Reds were still playing hard, and it was only a sound defence, which kept them at bay. The Blues had an opening, and Freeman sent in, Hardy clearing. Following a collision with Chorlton, Turner retired, and afterwards Crawford was hurt in a collision with Freeman, but was able to resume. Turner was only away a couple of minutes, and during his absence Hewitt just missed with a fine screw shot. Turner signalised his reappearance with a fine centre, which looked very dangerous until Raisebeck cleared. Uren was cheered for a fine effort, which led to a corner. Goddard once more missing. In 35 minutes, Everton went further ahead. Freeman snapped up a pass, and beating Crawford, ran well into goal. Hardy came out, but as he collided with the Everton centre, Freeman touched the ball into the net. Freeman, Hardy, and Crawford were all on the ground, and the Liverpool goalkeeper evidently received a bad shaking, as he had to receive attention before he was able to resume. Freeman in this success not only added to his goal record but the first time scored against hardy. Liverpool retaliated. Hewitt missing with a good long drive, but Everton were the more dangerous side, and in the opposing defence Chorlton and Raisebeck performed well. A fine run by Goddard should have led to Liverpool scoring, but Hewitt with a grand opening responded with only a poor effort. Bradley sent wide from a corner, and then Scott cleared a header from Hewitt, following this up just on half-time by saving from Harrop. Freeman was right through, with only Hardy to beat, when the whistle sounded for the interval, the score then being Everton two goals, Liverpool nil.

Immediately on resuming Freeman ended a fine combined forward move on the part of Everton by barely shooting outside, and in less than a minute Hardy had to save from White. Liverpool new attacked in good style, and their combination at this point was very praiseworthy, Uren testing Scott with a good shot. Everton retaliated strongly and Freeman and Raisebeck had a tussle in which the Liverpool captain came off victorious, and found an opening for the Reds, but two clearances of MaConnachie neutralised matters. A fine run by Freeman looked very dangerous for Liverpool, but Chorlton robbed the Everton centre in the penalty area. Liverpool made several raids into Everton quarters, but there was a lack of finish about their work, and Turner getting away forced Hardy to gave a wonderful screw shot. Liverpool went right away, Scott clearing from Goddard, and then further fine work on the part of the Everton outside left forced Hardy to fist out. White, however, got hold, and trickling Harrop he scored with a fine drive in the top corner of the goal. Everton now led by three goals to nil, and Liverpool made a great effort to reduce the margin against them for some minutes they swarmed round the Everton goal, but MaConnachie's defence was brilliant. Once after robbing the Liverpool right wing, he put in a long shot which Hardy saved. The Reds now re-arranged their forces, Robinson going half-back, and Harrop partnering Goddard on the right. Everton, however, more than held their own, and Turner put across two grand centres which were only cleared with difficulty. The rearrangement of the Liverpool forwards having proved ineffective. Harrop and Robinson now reverted to their old position. Everton promptly forced a corner, from which Taylor sent wide. A splendid movement by Everton resulted in Turner scoring with a brilliant cross shot just after White had hit the post, this putting the Blues four goals ahead. Everton ceased up somewhat, and Liverpool pressed Scott saving from MaConnachie, who kicked into his own goal. Both Uren and Hewitt missed with long shots. Freeman, after Hardy had saved twice, added a fifth for Everton from a good run by Sharp. Liverpool made a last effort, and Scott saved from Raisebeck, after which Freeman compelled Hardy to handle a rather difficult shot. The whistle then blow, and Everton won a good game by five goals to nil. Teams : - Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris Taylor, and Makepeace, Half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards. Liverpool: - Hardy, goal, Chorlton, and Crawford, backs, Harrop, Raisebcak (Captain), and Bradley, half-backs, Goddard, Robinson, J Hewitt, Orr, and H. Uren, forwards.



April 10 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 34)

Everton tightened their grip upon their championship of the Lancashire Combination by extracting another couple of points from the St Helen Recs yesterday afternoon, the encounter attracting a large holiday crowd to the City-road enclosure, the gate receipts running, indeed into a record account. The Recs, however, did not succumb without a determined effort, but they were deserved to go under, the Blues being extremely fortunate to emerge from the contest so successfully as they did. A draw would have more fairly represented the play, but had the Recs scored as often as they should the Blues would have returned empty handled. Everton nevertheless displayed superior football, their splendid command over the ball enabling them to outwitt their opponents times out of number, the Recs on the other hand lacking essential finish in their movements.

The Recs close to play against the bright warm sun in the first half, and commenced by forcing a corner, but play soon settled down to the end to end, each goal undergoing some narrow escapes. Roberts had hard lines in not finding the net on several occasions, he being hurt on trying to turn a corner to account. Meunier effecting a lucky clearance. Buck, Lacey, and Young on the other side, frequently tested Doig, but the veteran goalkeeper accomplished all that was expected of him. The interval arrived without either side having netted. Lens Woods, who had to retire during the first half came on again after the resumption, and thought he could only limp along he was instrumental in bringing the opening which ended in Everton securing the only goal of the match. The ball had travelled from one end to the other in rapid succession, and Berry had just managed to prevent his charge from falling, when away went the Blues, and Woods beat a half-back, and the back and passed on to Young, who centred, Buck after failing at a first attempt beating Doig a second sharp Shot. Far from demoralising the Recs, the reverse but stimulated them to renew effort, but their weakness in front of goal let not a few chances go abegging. Just on time Roberts would have scored, had the ball not been travelling too fast for him to get up to it, but as it was Berry had to give a corner. Stevenson and Meunier, the visiting backs, were chiefly responsible in keeping the homesters at bay Result St Helens Rec nil, Everton 1. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Clifford, and Adamson, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Young, Woods, and Mountford forwards.



April 12, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.



Notwithstanding the summerlike conditions, which prevailed, a fast interesting game was witnessed at Clayton on Saturday between Manchester United and Everton. No one could cavil at the result of the encounter –a draw of two goals each. In one respect, however, the issue was disappointing to Everton supporters inasmuch as it was fondly hoped that League revenge would have been taken for the unfortunate Cup tie dismissal. However, the point is most valuable to Everton, for it emphasises their claims to be honourable position of runners up of the League championship. Saturday's contest was brimful of interest from start to finish for there was absolutely no suggestion of an end of the season game. Indeed, towards the end of the struggle the best efforts of the players were seen, and though many chances of scoring were allowed to go abegging, a division of the spoils was a satisfactory finish.


The game had only been four minutes in progress when the United opened the scoring. This success came from a corner kick nicely placed by Ford to Turnbull, who gave Scott no chance of saving. Following upon this the Everton forwards went off at a great pace, but they could not do everything but score, and following another return by United Turnbull took full advantage of a slip by MaConnachie and registered his second goal. These early reverse to Everton did not damp their spirits, for they fully extended their opponents and eventually reduced the lead. Coleman had made headway and flashed the ball across the goalmouth. Moger failed to reach the leather, but not so Turner, who passed back the ball to Coleman, with a resulting goal from the inside right. After this success Everton's prospects brightened considerably, and when the equalising goal came within the first minute after the restart there was every indication of a fierce tussle for supremacy. Coleman, who took advantage of hesitancy on the part of the home back and drove past Moger, recorded this second success. It was from this point onward that the spectators had full value for their support, for the players never relaxed their efforts, and a smart pace was maintained to the close. There was several lucky escapes on both sides, and remarkable indeed were Meredith's ill luck when he twice in succession drove hard against the upright.


The Everton forwards on the whole gave a satisfactory display. They made for goal in refreshing style, and but for the close attentions of the United defenders must have opened the scoring quite early in the game. Freeman was well shadowed, and was rarely allowed to put in a parting shot, but the wingmen had more scope, and generally made the most of their opportunities. Makepeace gave Turner every chance of displaying his skill, and the ex-Fosse player in conjunction with White formed a powerful left wing. Harris also kept Coleman and Sharp well employed, but Clifford was none too successful in his bouts with Turnbull. At full back Balmer was the more resourceful. He tackled and kicked well, and at times covered MaConnachie, who was none too reliable. Scott kept a good goal, as also did his vis-a-vis Moger. Stacey and Hayes put up a solid defence and at half-back Duckworth and Downie contributed good work against the Everton wingmen, and Currry, a reserve player, filled Roberts position with a fair amount of success. Turnbull was an energetic centre forward, and kept his wings well employed. Pickin and Ford on the left supplied many fine touches of play, and in the latter the club have a player who, with experience, should make his mark, for he has good command of the ball and centres well. Meredith, except in the latter stages, was rarely in evidence, as Makepeace was a close attendant. Teams: - Manchester United: - Moger, goal, Stacey, and Hayes, backs, Duckworthy, Curray, and Downie (captain), half-backs, Meredith, Halse, J Turnbull, Picken, and Ford, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Clifford and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards. Referee J. Mason.



April 12, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 35)

By Defeating Blackpool at Goodison Park on Saturday by one goal to nil, Everton further strengthened their championship prospects. The game could not by any means be termed exhilarating, for it was not until five minutes from the finish that the Blues scored. The first half was noticeable for the inaccurate marksmanship of both sets of forwards. Time and again the ball would be worked into splendid positions only for the opportunities to be frittered away in a most unaccountable manner. The second moiety had only been in progress about ten minutes when Rogers, the visitors inside left was injured, and had to retire. With depleted opposition, the home team were more aggressive. Tillston cleared his lines on many occasions in a splendid fashion. However, nearing the finish Lacey gave Buck a well-judged pass, and the little outside right, quickly covering the ground, centred for Young to score from close range. Teams: - Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson and Meunier backs, Rafferty, Borthwick, and Adamson, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Younger, Woods, and Crews, forwards. Blackpool: - Tilleston, goal, Dale and Miller, backs, Clarke Murphy, and Swan, half-backs, Stirling, Rogers, Whalley, Livesley and Swarbrick, forwards.



April 13, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.



The League Championship was definitely decided yesterday, when Newcastle United obtained the claim to the leadership in defeating Everton at St. Jame's Park by three goals to nil, this being the second victory of the season over the Goodison Park men. Newcastle are now not only undisputed champs but they have a lead of seven points to their nearest rivals, and with an 51 points for 34 games are certain to record points scored in a season. The record is 52 points, which Manchester united, did last season. There was a terrific downpour for a before the game started, and, them there was sun shine afterwards, the ground was not at its best, but Newcastle overcome the occasion better than the visitors, and their position as League champions for the third time is now assured.


Everton made only one change from the side, which drew at Manchester United on Saturday. Taylor appearing once more for Clifford; but Newcastle had Carr and Higgins for Whitson and Shepherd. Newcastle had a strong wind in their favour in the first half, but Everton were the more dangerous side in the early stages, and Sharp and Makepeace tested Lawrence. Freeman made a couple of good runs, but was beaten at the finish by Veitch, and afterwards the United attacked heavily. Several corners were forced, but all proved fruitless. Scott beautifully cleared a great shot by Wilson through a crowd of players. But the latter had no chance when a penalty kick was awarded Newcastle for Higgins being brought down near goal (By Taylor-Post) McCracken scoring with a hot low shot. This goal came in 37 minutes, and the home side deserved the lead on the run of the play. Afterwards Freeman put in a fine run, but failed to control the ball at the finish, and McCracken who had been left behind, managed to catch up and dispossess him. Newcastle led at the interval by a goal and it was thought that Everton with the wind in the second half would put up a better fight. But with the turf drying under the influence of the powerful sun, the United gave a fine display after the change of ends. At first Everton attacked strongly and the United had to defend for all they were worth. Anderson got away cleverly, but Scott effected a marvellous save as he was bundled into the net. Everton responded with a strong attack, but Veitch kept out a fine drive from Makepeace, and Balmer fouling Anderson, Stewart scored a second goal from a mix-up in goal following a free kick. Soon afterwards the same player added another goal, and try as they would Everton could not overcome the opposing defence.


Considering the conditions, especially in the first half play was wonderfully fast and exciting, and the 30,000 spectators had full value for their money. The Novcastrians, however, displayed the superior form, their forwards not only combining cleverly, but making for goal, with a dash and precision, which were bound to prove successful. Everton on the other hand, were prone to indulge in too much passings, while there was at times a fatal hesitancy about their work when near goal. Scott did well, and had no chance with the shots that scored. The backs were a busy pair, and on the whole rendered fine services. While Taylor played with rare skill and Power all through. The forwards were disappointing against a robust defence, but had none the best of luck with their shots, and were unfortunate in not scoring. For Newcastle, McCracken was a fine defender, while Veitch gave a polished display at centre half alike in attack, and defence. Wilson gave a good show against his old club, but Stewart and Anderson, who were, very fast and clever, did the best forward work. Still Newcastle were rather fortunate to secure such a pronounced victory. Teams were as follows: - Newcastle United: - Lawrence, goal, McCracken, and Carr, backs, Howrie, Veitch (Captain), and McWilliams, half-backs, Rutherford, Stewart, Higgins, Wilson, and Anderson, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards. Referee J.T. Ibbotson.



April 13, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 36)

At Goodison-Park. Owing no doubt to the inelemency of the weather there was only a small attendance when the following players took the field: - Everton: - Berry, goal, Strettell, and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Clifford, and Adamson, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Young, Woods, and Crews, forwards. Atherton: - Chorley, goal, Fort, Martinscroft, backs, Farrington, Madden, and Grime, half-backs, Acton, Horrocks, Brannich, Sharples, and Horrocks, forwards. The home team pressed from the start, and a fine passing movement between Young and Lacey ended in the latter player sending in a terrific shot which rebounded off Fort. The visitors then made play by way of the right wing, but Strettell and Adamson barred the way. Another raid by the homesters culminated in Rafferty heading onto Chorley's hands. The nest item was a long shot by Madden, which Berry cleared at the second attempt. After Everton had made several unsuccessful onslaughts on the Atherton goal, the visitors forced a corner, but Strettell removed the danger. A nice pass by Adamson gave Young an opening, which he was quick to seize and catching the ball on the drop, he shot into the net at lighting speed. The homesters continued to adopted aggressive ineasures, and the visitors ‘ goal was subjected to several dangerous attacks, but nothing tangible resulted. A foul against Farrington changed the venue, and the visiting forwards were working nicely down the field when offside against Horrocks stayed their progress. Everton were soon at the other end, and Young added a second from a pass by Woods. The homesters forced two corners in quick succession, but both proved abortive. Half-time Everton 2, Atherton nil. Atherton were early on the aggressive after the interval, but were easily repelled, and Everton were soon down again, Young beating Chorley from Crew's centre. Everton's superiority was most pronounced, play being confined to the visitors' portion. The home forwards attacked in brilliant style, their passing being neat and accurate, and their shooting good. Crews played a splendid game, and Lacey securing one of the centres, got Everton fourth and final goal. From a sudden breakaway Brannick scored for Atherton. Final Result Everton 4, Atherton 1. The victory ensures Everton securing the championship of the Lancashire Combination.



April 19 1909. The Liverpool Courier.


Unless something very extraordinary happens, Everton are assured of finishing the season as runners up to the champions Newcastle United. Even if they lose their concluding League fixture with Leicester Fosse this week-end, goal average should enable them to retain second position. This in itself is a creditable achievement, but if certain matches which one could easily recall had ended otherwise Newcastle United might have been fighting harder to secure a record number of points. Probably it was a feeling that the second place was theirs that effected the play of the team last Saturday, when they met Sheffield Wednesday at Owlerton Park. From an Everton point of view especially it was decidedly end of the season football. The game produced many neat movements and instances of individual cleverness, but there was a lack of that enthusiasm which one expects to be associated with league warfare. It was because the Wednesday players showed more eagerness that they were entitled to the honours of the day, which were theirs by two goals to nil.


Sheffield Wednesday obtained a goal in each half. Nearly half an hour of the first portion had elapsed before Scott was beaten, Bradshaw finishing a fine solo effort with a cross shot which gave no chance. Foxall scored the goal in the closing stages of play. It was just a question whether the full 45 minutes had not then really concluded. There was only one stoppage of any consequence during the second half, and certainly this did not account for the fact that the game was allowed to proceed for fully five minutes beyond the 45. However, as it happened, it did not effect the result in way, so that there was no grumble. As already indicated Wednesday fully deserved their success, although they had Kinghorn in goal and two or three reserves in the side. Perhaps it was the presence of the new men, which provided that stimulus to the Sheffield team, which for the part was lacking in the Everton side. Balmer was undoubtedly one of the best exponents, for throughout he played with rare determination. White and Turner too, did in fact, the former was responsible for the only troublesome shots with which Kinghorn had to deal. As for the other members of the front line –Freeman, Coleman and Sharp –they were, to say the least, off colour. The halves also were only fair, but all round end of the season slackness was too much in evidence. Teams : - Sheffield Wednesday: - Kinghorn, goal, Slavin, and Holein, backs, Lloyd, McConnell, and Taylor, half-backs, Hunter, Stringfellow, Wilson (Captain), Bradshaw, and Foxall, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and McConnachie, backs, Adamson, Harris, Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards. Referee A.W.McQue.



April 19. 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 37)


Everton gave an exhibition, which one naturally expects from champions when they defeated Bolton Wanderers at Goodison Park on Saturday by 5 goals to nil. Despite the treacherous nature of the turf, the home side cleverly adapted themselves to the conditions, and shot at every available opportunity. Young early on scored twice, the second point bring the Blues' total of goals up to the century mark. Lacey secured the third goal with a thunderbolt shot from about 30 yards' ranges. In the second moiety further goals were secured by Chetwood (2). Near the end Bolton rallied, but Berry was in his best form, and saved shots on many occasions in a very clever fashion. Everton: - Berry, goal, Strettell, and Meunier, backs, Ratherty, Clifford, and Borthwick, Half-backs, Buck, Lacey Young, Chetwood, and Crews, forwards.



April 20, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.


The annual contest for possession of the Liverpool Cup between Liverpool and Everton was played at Anfield last evening, and the Livers ran out winners of a fairly good game by 2 goals to 1. The Anfielders thus regain possession of the magnificent trophy, and the players no doubt will value the handsome medals. Last season Everton triumphed at Goodison Park, but prior to that the Liverpool club had won the cup for two or three seasons in succession. Despite the fact that the season is so far advanced great interest was taken in the contest, and quite 12,000 spectators witnessed the game, so that the local association and the clubs will benefit considerably from the match. The players on both sides were keen on winning the medals was shown by the fast play which charactised the opening exchanges, but the high class of football was to maintained to the end, the sultry weather no doubt affecting the men. Both teams were practically at full strength, and there was plenty to interest the crowd. Liverpool undoubtedly won the game in the first ten minutes, when they scored two goals, for Everton later or held the advantage in midfield, but their forwards failed to take advantage of the openings presented. This was especially noticeable in the second half, and at least on two occasions the Blues ought to have scored.


Right from the start the Livers went off with great dash, and Goddard ran up and centred finely for Bowyer to drive in a swift shot, and Balmer in attempting to stop the ball diverted it into the net. Thus Liverpool were a goal ahead in the first minute of play. It was hereabouts that the best football of the evening was shown, and within eleven minutes the three goals were scored. After Liverpool had opened with the point already mentioned, Everton became aggressive on the left, where Sandy Young (on the outside) and White were operating. Hardy saved a fast shot just at the foot of the post, and in the melee, Liverpool goal had a narrow escape. The danger was cleared but the Blues were soon back again, Freeman after a fine run, just being stopped by Bradley. However, Everton were soon on level terms, for Freeman passed out to Young, and he gave Hardy a warm handful. The ball came out to White, who lost no time in scoring for the Goodison club. Only eight minutes had elapsed, and again Liverpool worked down and after Bradley had shot wide, Goddard centred to Orr, who beat Scott with a fine shot. After this play slackened down considerably, but Scott had to save a fine long shot from Orr, and again he cleared smartly from Hewitt. At the other end Freeman had a great chance, but he lifted the ball over, and a tremendous drive from Coleman missed the mark by inches. Liverpool were leading at the interval by two goals to one.


The second half was productive of a lot of loose play, the ball being too often in the air, and there was also numerous throws in from touch, which detracted from the play. Early on, however, Sharp got clean away, and he centred accurately, but Freeman and Coleman missed the ball as it glided across the mouth of the goal –a great chance. On another occasion Young centred, but the Everton forwards were unable to take advantage of the opportunity. Play certainly fell off considerably in this half, and both sides missed chances. Hughes sustained an injury, and Raisebeck went right back, with Hewitt centre half and Hughes outside left. The latter once got away on his own, and ran half the length of the field to centre to Bowyer, but Scott saved the latter's shot with his outstretched hand. The ball was banged in again, but Scott cleared. The closing stages were fought in a very dim light, but nothing more was scored, and Liverpool won by the odd goal in three.


The Reds deserved their victory, if it was only for the fact that they took advantage of their opportunities, whilst they also defended well. Raisebeck and Crawford were always prominent in defence, and Hewitt did excellently when he dropped back to centre half. Orr, always clever, was about the best forward. Although Goddard and Bowyer also did well. On the Everton side Scott was his usual self in goal, whilst Balmer and MaConnachie defended ably. Makepeace and Taylor were fine halves. The forwards were clever in midfield, but they undoubtedly missed chances of drawing level. Col Maclie presented the cup, and Mrs. Maclie distributed the medals. Teams : - Liverpool: - Hardy, goal, J. Hughes and Crawshaw, backs, Robinson Raisebeck (Captain), and Bradley, half-backs, Goddard, Bowyer, Hewitt, Orr, and Uren, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer and McConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman White, and Young, forwards.



April 24 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo.

The visit of the wooden spoonists to Goodison Park attracted some 10,000 spectators who were chiefly interested in the likelihood of Freeman emulating Notts Forest and running up a string of goals giving to his record, a more formidable figure than Evan. Young Jones appeared once more in the home ranks, and partnered Coleman. The teams turned out as Follows, the Fosse making their last appearance in First League company: - Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace (Captain), half-back, Jones, Coleman, Freeman, White, and R.F. Turner, forwards. Leicester Fosse: - Starbuck, goal, Blackett, and Mackie, backs, Randle, Aitkens, and King, half-backs Durrant, Shinton, Donnelly, R. W. Turner, and West, forwards. Referee Mr. H. Pollitt. The rain was coming down in torrents, when the boys turned out, and they must have experienced a discomforting drenching before the Leicester men made their appearance, and in bright red jerseys and white knickers, a la Liverpool. There was little more than a sprinkling of spectators when Donnelly commenced operations, and the start was somewhat sensational, for Coleman, Freeman, and White made straight for the Leicester goal, and Mackie gave a corner. Coleman nearly put the ball home, after which the players took their wetting in the centre of the field. By and bye the Fosse men made a strong effort, at the end of which, Donnelly found himself splendidly placed almost in the Everton goalmouth, but instead of touching the ball into the net, he sent it up towards the clouds. The game had only been in progress five minutes when fortune smiled on the Blues. The keenest of Everton was unmistakable, but the Fosse put up an unexpectedly stubborn resistance, and were evidently not in the generous mood in which Notts Forest found them (Forest beat than mid-week 12-0). Everton's persistency, however, had its reward after perplexing interchange in front of Starbuck. Jones Coleman, and Freeman passed the ball until the Fosse defenders were fairly mystified, and Starbuck quite failed to locate Coleman, when he netted. Reopening, the Blues were still out for blood, and the most anxious member of the party being Freeman, who ultimately obtained possession outside the penalty area, and manipulating cleverly, eluded the attentions of four opponents, and then piloted the sphere accurately into the corner of the net, thus bringing his total up to 37 goals. The Leicester men were far from faint hearted, and occasionally had serious designs on Scott's charge. Their visions, however, were in the main illusional, for their plan of attack was confined to spasmodic individual efforts, and had little sting in them, and were easily stalled off by the Everton defenders. During a close attack, Freeman and Coleman came to close quarters with Starbuck, but each of their shots was intercepted. A couple of corners were forced to the right of Starbuck, but their negotiation did not cause the Fosse defenders much anxiety. The doughty Borthwick was taking an outing in the centre vice Taylor, and from time to time he got in some very neat touches. White managed to upset Randle, but the consequent free kick did not prove beneficial to the visitors. White and Turner worked the leather well up the field, where it was transferred to the opposite end, and Coleman receiving from the inside left, fairly staggered Starbuck. Goals were not coming rapidly, but the aggressiveness of the Blues was obviously telling its tale on the stamina of the Fosse me. Freeman once tried a long shot, which was capitally fielded by the Leicester custodian. Durrant was the most energetic factor in the visitors forward line, and he had the satisfaction of outwitting MaConnachie and securing a corner. A sudden attack by the Fosse caught the home rearguard napping and Donnelly and Shinton both of whom failed to appreciate the glorious opportunity finally opposed Scott. A smart advance by Jones resulted in Coleman gaining a corner, and after a few exchanges the same player made a red-hot effort to beat Starbuck. Freeman was not having it all his own way, and one of other of the Leiecester backs managed to obstruct his progress at the most critical moment. Another corner was forced by the Leicester right wing, and following its negotiation Mr. Pollitt awarded a free kick. Leicester really deserved a goal, for at times their efforts were very spirited. A corner kick got the home defence in a tangle. Hard pressed Scott fisted out weakly, and Donnelly returned smartly, would have scored, had not Balmer previously dropped back judiciously into the goalmouth. Half-time Everton 2 Leicester Fosse nil. When the players resumed operations, the ground was in a bad state, and Tim Coleman bedaubed his new vigour in the first minute. Everton forced a corner, but the ball was put behind. A sudden rush of the Fosse left proved too much for Balmer, but MaConnachie came to the rescue. An Everton rush followed this, but the Blues were not allowed to settle down, for the Leicester halves were keen and alert. At last a very dangerous move came from the visitors, Donnelly hand down a short return of Balmer's. But Mr. Politt did not see the infringement, and the Leicester centre and Durrrant were left with an open goal; but once again the opportunity was not made use of. It mattered little as it happened for the Fosse forwards maintained their advantageous position, Shinton ultimately piloting the ball past Scott. The scene of attack swiftly changed, and culminated in a corner for Turner, from which White tested Starbuck with a powerful shot, but the Leicester custodian got the ball over the bar very adroitly. The work of the Leicester men was spirited and vimish, and it was obvious they intended to dispute the issue to the last ounce. It is very precliable that the heavy state of the ground put the Blues off their game. Although the Fosse men did good work in the outfield, their shooting was very poor. Still they had their dangerous moments, which usually took the form of sudden swift rushes. By such tactics they drew level. A close combined move by Turner, Donnelly and Shinton resulted in Borthwick and Balmer being eluded. Scott elected to come forth, and Shinton putting the ball past him, saw it roll slowly into the net. For some minutes after this the visitors proved so aggressive that they looked like taking the lead. At last the Blues disturbed themselves and Starbuck got down to a swift low shot from Coleman. Before the custodian could rid himself of the leather, Freeman got in and bustled him so that he dropped the ball over the goalline. Mr. Politt rightly negatived the goal. Evidently nettled, Freeman and Coleman got to work in deadly earnest and a minute afterwards Coleman, receiving from Freeman. put the Blues ahead again with a very clever shot. Following this the Leicester custodian had plenty of business to combined with. Five minutes from the finish Freeman headed the ball into the net. Final Result Everton 4, Leicester Fosse 2.


April 24, 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo

AT Hyde this afternoon before a large crowd. Play was very fast on the slippery ground, and some clever work was done by both sides. Ashworth opened the score for Hyde after twelve minutes play. Anderson made a capital attempt to put Everton level, but Ogden cleared very cleverly. Half-time Everton 2 Hyde 1, Full time Everton 3, Hyde 1.


April 26, 1909. Yorkshire Evening Post

This, the closing match of the season at Goodison Park, was played in miserable weather, and the attendance only numbered about 8,000. Everton were without Taylor and Sharp. Everton opened in aggressive style, and Coleman scored after eight minutes, whilst Freeman put on a second soon after. Fosse had a good share of the game, but like Everton were weak in front of goal. Interval –Everton 2 goals, Leicester Fosse none. Although the rain ceased before the interval the downpour recommenced on resuming, and ground was very heavy. Leicester played up well, and slackness on the part of the Everton defence allowed Shenton to score the first goal for the visitors. Shortly after the same player equalized, but Everton came again, and Coleman scored a third. Play was afterwards even, but Freeman added a fourth for Everton. Result; - Everton 4 goals, Leicester Fosse 2 goals.



April 27, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 38)


The final match at Anfield this season was invested with more than usual interest to the home side, as it decided who should be the runners up to Everton in the Combination table. It had also been set aside for the benefit of the popular Liverpool forward, Jack Parkinson. The ground was in a deplorable condition after the torrential rain of the afternoon, although happily the weather cleared just before the commencement. Parkinson started, and Sloan was quickly called upon to save from Lacey. At the other end Uren centred well after having defeated Stevenson for possession, but the ball fell on the wrong side of the crossbar. The game was contested at a rare pace, and Parkinson made several fine efforts to open the scoring, having very hard lines from a well-judged centre by Uren. Following clever work by the home forwards. Uren spoiled a grand chance by his impetuosity. Buck raced away in possession but his final effort although well directed, lacked sting, and Sloan had little difficulty in repelling the shot. However, the home custodian conceded a corner from a subsequent shot by Crews. This was safely negotiated, and Liverpool again took up the attack, Parkinson shooting inches wide. From the goal kick Crews gained possession, and after a short dribble the winger parted to Lacey, who scored with a well-judged shot, which beat Sloan all the way. The Everton forwards were now showing improved form and from Young's pass Jones hit the upright, whilst shortly afterwards Buck overran the ball when he had, but the goalkeeper to negotiate. Parry endeavoured to equalise from a foul, but his shot went over the bar. Just before the interval, Goode equalised, after Berry had fisted out from a corner well placed by Uren. Half-time Liverpool 1 Everton 1.

The attendance, which at the kick off numbered 5,000 had increased to 8,000, but the light, was rapidly falling. Liverpool quickly carried the play to the Everton goal, where the ball stuck in the mud just in front of the line. A couple of corners fell to Liverpool, and Hignett shot high over the bar. A foul against Rafferty was well placed, but Speakman made a purile attempt to turn it to good account. A goal, however, was scored shortly afterwards by Parkinson, who when Berry was in difficulties from a hot shot by Griffin, ran up and kicked the ball into the net, the custodian being on the ground. A hot fusilade on the visitors' goal followed and Berry cleared several fine shots whilst the backs charged down others. Griffin scored Liverpool's third. Young who had been limping for a considerable time, left the field and the visitors had but four forwards. This notwithstanding they attacked with vigour, and Lacey brought Sloan to his knees with a rasping shot, whilst Crews also tested the home custodian. Play was transferred to the other end, where Goode had an excellent opportunity, but shot wide. Parkinson finished up a clever sprint with a good goal, and in a bad light Speakman added a fifth.


Although there was little to choose between the teams during the initial period, Liverpool were much the superior in the second half, and fully deserved their victory. Play was interesting throughout, and had the ground been in a more fit condition the game would have been more open. The beneficiary was in grand form, and the two goals which he scored accrued from clever individual work, whilst he also had a hand in the other goals, judiciously feeding his wingmen with well-judged passes. The home side adapted themselves to the conditions, and took advantage of the opportunities which offered, whilst Everton were handicapped by the absence of Young in the second half. Teams : - Liverpool: - Sloan goal, West and Rogers, backs, Parry, Latham, and Hignett, half-backs, Speakman, Goode, Parkinson, Griffin and Uren, forwards. Everton: - Berry goal, Stevenson and Meunier backs, Rafferty, Clifford, and Asdamson half-backs, Bucvk, Lacey, Jones, Young, and Crews, forwards.



April 28 1909. The Daily Post and Mercury

These teams met on the Borough-road enclosure Birkenhead, last evening, before a good attendance (1,500 Courier), for the benefit of Jack lee, one of the Rovers backs. Everton won the toss and the Rovers started uphill. They at once made headway for the Everton goal, but Strettell relieved with a tremendous kick. They were soon back again however, but there shooting was weak in front of goal. End to end play followed, but there was not much to choose between the sides, and the interval arrived without any score. On resuming the Rovers at once attacked and Randles made a good effort, but the ball went wide. Midfield play followed for some time, and then the Everton team worked they way to their opponents goal, again without substantial result. A penalty kick, was given against the Rovers, for hands, but Strettell, who took the kick, shot high over the bar. Later a penalty kick was awarded to the Rovers, and Lee shot into Berry's hands. Good-combined efforts by the Rovers forwards resulted in Randles scoring a beautiful goal. Godwin added two more goals, to the Rovers score, who eventually ran out winners by three goals to nil.



April 28, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

This friendly encounter took place at the Gasworks enclosure. Hawthorne-road last evening, before about 2500 spectators. Bootle attacked early, and J. Chambers and Dempsey had hard lines. However, after some very tricky work Dempsey beat Carlise with a lovely shot. Carlisle had to concede a corner from a shot from Hall. Everton next had a spell of attacking, and after Hopkins had mulled a good chance Chetwood beat Trillo from very close range. A solo effort by Dempsey was responsible for Bootle's second goal. Bootle had easily the better of matters and after hall had tricked several players, he added a third point for the Reds. Interval –Bootle League 3, Everton A 1. On resuming Everton at once took up the attack, and Trillo saved a nice shot from Chetwood. Everton showed some tricky footwork, but Trillo was safe. After a lot of dallying in front of the Everton goal, Jones shot in, and Carlisle partially saved, but Guy secured and scored. Bootle kept up a warm attack and just before the final Dempsey scored a fifth goal.



April 29, 1909.

No details.



April 30 1909. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury

Everton have signed on a new player named Weller from Leek United, a Staffordshire club. He is twenty years of age, stands 5ft 10ins, and weights 11 st 6lbs, and plays at left half-back.




May 14, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

A goodly number of football enthusiasts including not a few of the fair sex, assembled at Lime-street Station yesterday to witness the departure of the members of the Everton team for London on route for the Argentine. The players were Berry, R. Balmer, MaConnachie, Harris, Taylor, Adamson, Clifford, Jones White, Freeman, Rafferty, Mountford and Lacey. They are accompanied by two directors Messrs A.E. Bainbridge and A.R. Wade, and Trainer Elliott, while there were also in attendance at the station: Dr. Whitford, Messrs J. Davies, and D.E.Kirkwood, and Mr. C. Cuff (secretary). To-day the party, who embark on the R.M.S.P. steamer Aregiaya at Southampton, will be joined by the members of the Tottenham Hotspur team with whom during the three weeks stay in the Argentine, seven matches will be played. It is also expected that fixtures will be arranged with South American teams.

Dundee Evening Telegraph -Thursday 3 June 1909
Hannan and Docherty-
Two very well known players in J. Hannah and J. Docherty have been secured by Dundee Hibs by Mr. P. Reilly, secretary. The former, who plays at full back, has seen service with Celtic and Everton, while laterly he has been assisting 'St Johnstone. Perth footballers will be sorry to hear that this clever player will not seen on the Recreation Ground next season-he is concerned one of the finest backs in the North. Docherty, who played for Forfar Athletic at forward, either inside rightor left is above the average.

Leigh Chronicle and Weekly District Advertiser - Friday 04 June 1909
Richard Williams Career
No member of the Leigh Cricket Club is popular among players and spectators than Richard Williams, who takes his benefit tomorrow, when Leigh meet Earlestown on the Beech Walk Ground.  This is Williams’ 14th season with Leigh, and his first season as an amateur.  He still constitutes one of the greatest assets in the team, for he possesses all the attributes that to make up the ideal cricketer.  He is a splendid all round man, for not only is he a fine batsman, but a fair change bowler; whilst in point of fielding he is second to none, and is regarded to be one of the best catches in club cricket.  How often have batsman been tempted to strike out at Turner’s lobs, only to be caught on the deep square leg boundary by Williams?  When the ball is seen going towards him the batsmen make up their minds that their presence will soon be required in the pavilion.  Williams is indeed an ideal catch.  He judges the ball to a nicely; allows his hands like a vice.  Standing half-an-inch over six feet he possesses great advantages over short batsmen, for he has a very long reach and can send good length balls to the boundary.  He seems to hit with no apparent effort.  The secret of his big hits is that he times the ball splendidly and uses his weight judiciously.  When he gets set he scores wonderfully fast, and the bowlers have to pitch the ball short and bump them to prevent them being knocked all over the field.  The on-drive is his favourite stroke, but he can also cut well.  He first became associated with Leigh cricket club in 1896.  He headed the battin averages in 1896, 1897, 1898, 1902, 1903, 1905; was third in 1899 and second in 1900, 1901, 1906, 1907, and 1908.  He headed the bowling averages in 1897, 1898, 1901, 1902, and 1903; was second in 1896, 1900, 1908, 1907, and 1908; third in 1899 and fourth in 1904.  Altogether, whilst playing with Leigh from 1896 to the end of last season he has scored 5,747 runs and taken 437 wickets, giving him a batting average of 24.6 and a bowling average of 12.6 runs per wicket.  He has on three occasions attained the century for Leigh.  He got 100 in 1897, 149 against St. Helens in 1902, at St Helens, and 114 in 1905 against Worsley at Leigh, this being the record individual first team score on Leigh ground.  He also scored 119 when playing for Stanley (Liverpool) against Birkenhead Victoria; and he had the pleasure in company with Mayall, of scoring 132 for the first wicket against Wigan in 1905; this is the highest record first wicket stand for the first team.  In 1897 he had the satisfaction of gaining the “Sunday Chronicle” guinea prize for taking six wickets for 12 runs against Tyldesley, at Tyldesley.  Formerly he bowled fast-medium, but in the last few seasons he has slowed down a lot, and now bowls from slow to medium pace, with a slight break from the off.  By birth he is a Cheshire man, for he was born at Bromborough Pool in 1863.  In his early years he developed strong proclivities for cricket and football and soon earned the reputation of being one of the best cricketers and footballers in the district.  After a season with the Mersey C.C., he became a professional for Stanley and remained with the club three years.  His cricketing abilities have for the last 13 years been at the service of Leigh.  He has also had a fine career as an Association football player.  He first learned the game with Bromborough Pool, and at the outset played full-back, but soon discovered that his best place was in goal.  During the year he was identified with Bromborough Pool he obtained three Wirral and district league medals, and his fame eventually reached Everton, and he was induced to throw in his lot with that famous organization.  Whilst with Everton he secured two Liverpool and district medals, a Lancashire Cup Final medal, and three other medals, and he had the honour of keeping goal for Everton against the Wolverhampton Wanderers at Fallowfield in the final for the English Cup, when the “Wolves” unexpectedly won by a goal to nil.  Williams, after leaving Everton joined Luton, and played with them three seasons, helping them to win the Kettering Cup and the United League championship medals.  Later he played for Glossop and it was not a little due to his good goalkeeping that the club won its way into the first division of the English League.  Altogether he has about fifteen football medals.  Of late years Williams has not played football.  He has now been settled here for some years, and it is hoped he will be able to assist Leigh for many years to come.  His many friends hope that he will have a bumping benefit tomorrow. 


July 13, 1909. The Liverpool Echo

We had a very good passage out of the Uraguay, not once did we experience a dirty sea all through the journey, and except for slight rain, which was on and off for only two days, there was nothing to mar the enjoyment of the trip. Of fine sights we saw many and the best of all I put to the harbour of Rio de Janeiro. It was a brilliant spectacle at night, and during the day in the daytime one could see the full beauty of the bay but at night when the lights added it presented a really grand spectacle. We had quite enough of the water when we arrived at Buenos Ayres on the morning of the 5 th . We had to endure the photographers pleasure (?) without opening our bags. This was a great relief we stayed at the Hotel Metropole, a French hotel, where English speaking waiters are unknown and where, I might add the cooking was calculated to make us say things. The next day, Sunday we played our first match meeting Tottenham Hotspur at Palermo, the final reading two goals each. Balmer and myself scored for Everton, and Toll and Clarke for the “Spurs.” This is a new experience for Bob Balmer scoring goals! The game was a capital one, when bearing in mind the length of time we had been aboard the ship. On Thursday we play the best team in Argentine, namely the Alumini F.C. They fought a hard, not to be beat, and play promisingly. The members are somewhat mixed. The teams included Argentines, and English, and in the first half there was not a goal scored, but eventually we ran out winners by a good margin of 4 goals to nil. I scored the first three goals and Jones the remaining point. Jack Taylor and Mountford did not play in this encounter. Last Sunday Everton played at Monte Video against the Urugays League, we left Buros Ayres on Saturday night by the Steamship “Vienna” and arrived early in the morning for the fixture with the League team. On arrival we were shown all the slights, and after four on a tramcar, we were invited to a big feed. The ground chosen was hard and rough, however Everton won again though this game, it was a narrow victory by two goals to one, Scorers Freeman and Lacey. This was the best game we had engaged in, and the opposition was the strongest we had experienced so far. After the match came another banquet, at which we were not lookers on, and we travelled eventually by the Vienna to Buenos Aryes at ten o'clock at night. Taylor and Adamson did not play in the last match. I mentioned all the players are keeping well, but we shall all be glad when we set sail for home and the season 1909-10 starts.



July 20, 1909. The Liverpool Echo


Everton travelled all night from Southampton and arrived in Liverpool at six o'clock this morning. Several of the players visited the office of the club, looking exceptionally well, and expressed themselves delighted with the tour. A warm welcome in more senses than one awaited the remembers of the Everton and Tottenham Hotspur teams on their homecoming to England, for the thermometer registered something nearing the nineties in the sun when the steamer Austurians slowly swung into Southampton docks just before six o'clock last evening, and was morred at No 26 berth. All the Everton men looked bronzed, and well after their nine or ten weeks holiday under the sunny western skies, and Messrs Bainbridge and Wade, the directors in charge of the team throughout the tour, reported a clean bill of health. The Asturians was two days overdue, but the homeward passage was a good one. Taylor, the veteran of the side, Balmer, MaConnachie, White, Freeman, and the other men all looked in the pink of health, and all spoke to having spent a highly enjoyable time. Five games were played at Buenos Ayres, Monte Video, and Chile, the Everton men winning four of five, and having a goal average of 16 to 4. An attempt on behalf of a pressman to sound the various players as to their views with regard to the question of the attitude adopted by the Football Association in reference to the Players' Union was not productive of much result. The men confessed that having been practually out of civilization for a couple of months, so far as English newspapers were concerned, the news which had reached them of the rupture between the Union, and the Association was scrappy in the extreme and they hardly felt justified to expressing a decided opinion on the merits of the dispute, until they were in possession of fuller details. One or two of the younger players, however, openly expressed their dissatisfaction and indignation at what they termed “the high-handed action of the Association.” The older men, while resolutely declining to be drawn into a definite statement as to the probable course of action they would take in the future, declared that the players would in the end be compelled willy nilly to how to the dictates of the governing body of the game, and secede from their Union. Mr. Wade one of the directors of the club, however, was a little more communicative. Declining to make any statement on the merits of the dispute, he said that nearly all the Everton team had seceded from the players' Union and declared with confidence that there was not the slightest fear of any trouble rising between the directors of the club and the men from this cause in future. The adventures of the team while not so exciting as the experience of some earlier football tourists in South America were not devoid of incident. Here is a story told by one player, which may or may not be apocryphal: - In one of the more important fixtures in Argentina the officials of the home team required a player to complete the side, and the only man good enough to fill the particular position was in prison. The President of the Republic was sought, and a reguest made that this young man might be released in order to play in the game. The request was granted, and soldiers escorted the player to the ground. So well did he play that the President, who was present at the match, ordered his release. So runs the story.




July 24 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo.


The following is the exhaustive diary of Mr. E.A.Bainbridge, of the Everton Football Club, who, together with Mr. A.E.Wade, was in charge of the Argentine tour. Mr. Bainbridge writes as follows: -

On the 13 th May last, numerous friends and admires assembled at Lime-street Station, Liverpool to wish bon voyage to the Everton football team and officials on their departure by the four p.m. train to play a series of matches in two of the South American Republics. The number of players including the trainer (fourteen) accompanied by Messrs, E.A.Bainbridge and AR Wade directors, were as follows: - C.H. Berry, R. Balmer, J. MaConnachie, D.Rafferty, V. Harris, R. Clifford, H. Adamson, JD Taylor, T. Jones, W. Lacey, BC Freeman, W. White, and H. Mountford, and of course the irrepressible John Elliott, who has served the club faithfully and well during the last twenty-one years. We were a very merry and comfortable party. The train steamed out of the station to quite a demonstration of good wishes. Arrived in London, buses were in readiness to convey the party to the Imperial Hotel, Russell square, where we stayed the night, and at 9.28 the following morning left Waterloo for Southampton, but, prior to our departure, we were subjected to the not uncommon process of being snapshots on the station platform as our London friends were determined to have the last impression of us before we left.


We were pleased to receive and have a chat with F.J. Wall, secretary of the English Association. He did us the honour of being included in the picture. We were much concerned by the non-appearance of our old opponents, Tottenham, who through an accident, did not catch the train, but subsequently turned up by a latter one. In fact we were on our journey down stream before Tottenham caught us up by chartering a special tug. We were glad to see our old opponents again, and everyone was in good humour in anticipation of a pleasant outing. We were most fortunate in being able to go out in such a fine ship as the Royal Mail steamer Uraguaya (meaning “Heart's Desire “) commanded by captain J. Pope, who did all in his power for our comfort and entertainment throughout the voyage of twenty-one days. In like manner we were indebted to the officers and crew, for the many acts of kindness we were the recipients of. In the evening of the day of our leaving Southampton, we arrived at Cherbourg, on the coast of France, and after taking on mail and passengers, proceeded on our trackless course and arrived, at our next port of call. Vigo on the coast of Spain, where we entered the following morning.


After a brief stay here we sailed on along the Portuguese Coast, reaching Lisbon about 8.30 a.m. we landed by steam launch on the jetty, and strolled on towards the now historical “Black Horse Square” the ever to be remembered place of the assassination of the late King Carlos. We visited the botanical gardens situation on the entrance overlooking the town, and made a halt at the Café Royal for comfort and duly presented ourselves ready to continue our journey. We weighted anchor about 6a.m. , and having taken up a good position on the observation deck. We were delighted with the natural beauty of our surrounding, and the approach to the River Tagus. The next call was Madera and we paid a visit to the cathedral, quietly strolling round and observing how native bargain. We had sufficient time to admire the liner Britain, which had just come into the bay. On Friday the 21 st , we sighted Cape de Vorde Islands, and unchored before St. Vincent on a sterious morning. We remained about three hours, and during that time were visited by a delegation of the officials of the Eastern Telegraph Company, who have about 150 employees' stationed here. We given' an exhibition of high diving and copper-diving, one of our party, who at home is somewhat careful, was so enamoured of the of the sport that he consigned to the deep his last bronze coin. We left for Percamburn, the first call in South America, and district, 1,610 miles for St. Vincent.


We were not long in settling down for a five days run across the Atlantic Ocean. We formed to various committees for sport and pastimes and suitable to the various nationalities on board. I may say that spectators at Goodison Park may look out for a variety of language and deportment this coming season. The day after leaving St Vincent, a small company organised a Derby sweep, and one of our stalwart drew a favourite and was on good terms with himself until we reached the Brazilian coast, when he found his horse had met with a serious spill. Sport on board was of the usual varied description, and was thoroughly enjoyed.


Tuesday, May 25, being the anniversary of the independence of the Argentine Republic, a grand carnival and fairly dress ball was orgainised and carried out on an laborate scale, the dresses' being most costly and magnificent and would have done justice to Covent Gardens on festival night. It was an unqualified success in every detail. Modestly alone compels me to refrain front going into particulars as to my own part. At 2.30 p.m. we all assembled for the Argentine National Anthem, the Everton directors calling for three hearty British cheers for the Argentine Republic, and an extra “Football Whisper” which almost brought the roof off. Imagine for one moment 250 ladies and gentleman in character ranges from “Bridges” to the “Merry' Widow” during and fraternising. “We paraded in pairs headed by “Miss R Balmer”as PO Peep” who appeared for this night and your humble corespondent. Dancing was indulged until 1 p.m. This was a red-letter day on board, and afforded great pleasure and fun for all.

Our first view of land after leaving St. Vincent was a passing Fernando islands sixteen hours run from the Brazilian Coast. This island, I understand is a signed station and convict settlement. We duly arrived at Pernambuco our first call in South America, and after taking on boards a quantity of fresh fruits etc, some of our boys indulged in shark fishing, but only with indifferent results. After breakfast we had to listen to one or two very fishy stories to the accompaniment of questions la Harry Tate. “Any luck.” On Friday, 28 th we duly arrived at Balia about 10 a.m., and left again at nightfall, after the usual exchanges of passengers and adding to our focks of fresh water. We were advised not to land, owing to the prevalence of fever. Numerous opportunities were afforded of studying and passing judgement on the numerous and various types of Brazilians, On Sunday June 30; we arrived at Rio de Janeiro at 7 p.m.


After dinner a small party by the kindness of the captain, visited the shore by a steam launch. We were afterwards informed there had been a fracas near the quay, two persons being dangerous wounded. All were up very early, the following morning, and Everton and Spurs players with their officials, chartered an electric car, and proceeded to Topica the antiquated, residence of the Imperator Dom Pedro the second. It is now name the Grand White Hotel. The scenery up the mountains was simply magnificent in its natural beauty, abounding with a profusion of all varieties of tropical vegetation. We were again subjected to the camera, and arrived at our ship at 4.p.m. Before sailing we had an opportunity of viewing this most magnificent natural harbour with its vast number of islands. At 6 p.m. we proceeded down the Southern seas and made for Santos, where we arrived at eight o'clock on the morning of Tuesday, June 1 st . It was a most beautiful morning. The river approach to this town is very much of a serpentine character, and is not without beauty and attraction. There was, however, a peculiar dampness in the air, and I suppose it was mainly owing to this and other causes that Santos in the past earned an unenviable name of “the white man's grave.” We strolled round the town while general cargo was being discharged and coffee –Santos and San Paul being in the heart of the coffee producing country –was taken in.


In the evening we made tracks further South and on the morrow commenced putting in good work in the way of training, which was continued each morning in anticipation of our football obligations in the Argentine. About eight o'clock on a most lovely night we arrived at Monte Video, and realised a rapid change in the temperature, which had been taking place for the last two days. We found the weather cold at Monto Video, very much like an English winter. The camera friend was again at work in a magnified form. The harbour here was very full of shipping, and moving up the river on the day of our arrival, we had perforce to plough out course through 3ft of mud, our ship responding nobly to the calls made upon her by the engineers. At last we neared the end of our journey, which had occupied a matter of twenty-three days, and had been instrumental in our making many friends on board ship. To us footballers a most pleasant feature was the fact of our landing as fit as the proverbial fiddle, and ready and willing to show the Argentine people how first-class football should be played. Buenos Ayros was reached at 8 .m., and after entering the dock awaited the Government formalies with fortitude.


On landing we were made acquainted with numerous sporting representatives. Press and public were most cordial, and the Council of the Argentine Football Association, headed by Messrs Hugo Wilson, president, and F. Williams, secretary escorted us to the Hotel Metropolis. We only remained five days, no one in the hotel being versed in English. Our stock of French and Spanish had run out. A representation to the A.F.A., however, resulted in our being transferred to the Grand Hotel Castila, immediately oppose, were we remained during our stay in Buenos Ayres. On the very day of our arrival we played Tottenham Hotspur at Palermo Park, the ground of the Sociedad Sportiva Argentina, and both teams drove down to the ground in a special reserved car. After a grand display of football, considering the teams had not regained their shore legs, the game resulted in a draw of 2-2. Balmer with a long drives scoring the first in the first half, and England's centre B.C. Freeman, scoring in the second moiety. The sincerity of both teams was a special feature, all were trier. The match was graced by the presence of the president of the Argentine Republic and his family, and various members of the Government, including the Minister of War and Agriculture, and their families, who all evinced the closest interest and enthusiasm.


At half-time the officials and players of both clubs were presented to the President and his colleague and a hearty British cheer was raised for the president and his party. The playing area was somewhat uneven and hard, owing to recent drought, but played reasonably will. A visit to the Casino Music Hall followed dinner, the entertainment was of the usual Continental quality for want of it, the turns being of great variety, and assorted nationality. A Greece-Roman, wresting competition proved the place de resistance, among the competitors being our Old French friend Paul Pons, who a decade ago wrestled out Tom Canton at Goodison Park. Possibly some of my readers will remember the Frenchman being well beaten on that occasion. He was going strong when we left and had not raised defeat. Out twenty days journey in South America was one continuos round of pleasure, including our football matches. The A.F.A. were unremitting their attentions for our entertainment. We also met a few of our Liverpool friends now resident in Buenos Ayres and we were made honourable members of various clubs and associations. Mr. Pilling of Walton; Liverpool, introduced us to one, the English Literary Society in Calle Cangillo, and Mr. G.H.Clarke, now manager of the Gourock Rope Company in Calle Venezueia, intriduged us to the Club de Pesidentes Estranjeoiss. We were the guests of Mr. Clarke, and also spent a quiet evening in the Brunswick, the recognised English restaurant in Buenos Ayres.


It was most pleased to acknowledge the warning influence of “Hands across the sea” in every direction. The directors of Everton and Tottenham accomplished by the council of the A.F.A. were invited to meet Mr. Hugo Wilson president of the Buences Ayres Jockey Club and we spent a pleasant and profitable afternoon in the commodious and palatial building with its magnificent appointments and internal completeness. The speeches on the occasion were brief and to point being further evidence of the kindly disposition of the Football Council towards ourselves, and those we represented. Mr. WH Jordan present of the Alumni F.C. honoured us with an invitation to his country seat at Temperley, some fifteen miles from Buences Ayros. The entire Everton team and officials met, Mr. Jordan and family and were very generously received. During the afternoon we witnessed some daring feats of horsemanship (unrehearsed). The evolution of several of our famous players in the Mexican cowboy saddles was excruciating funny and grotesque. My Wallasey chum Mr. Wade, demonstrated how battles are won and lost on the tennis courts. Towards evening we were joined by the members of the Alumni Club and took mate in a Paraguayan teapot, arrangement through the spout. This is a cemony similar to the smoking of a pipe of piece. My colleague and self were called upon to visit Mr. Clarke's house in the vicinity and having ties there we had a very pleasant time, the member for Wallasey pulversing his opponents at billiards. We arrived at our headquarters and slept the sleep of the just. Among remaining invitations we all accepted was one from Mr. Fred Brown proprietor of the San Martin Circus and Theatre and enjoyed a capital show. One of the features of theatrical life here is the late start, nine of o'clock. In the present case the entertainment continued until midnight.


On June 15 th we played the Uruguayan League at Monte Video and beat them by 2 goals to 1. JD Taylor (“Our Jack”) refereed, but I do not recommend his being placed on the League list at present unless he can get a move on. Our team did full justice to a substantial lunch prior to the match being started. It told its tale. The “Gate” was splendid. Something like £800 being taken. The result of ours matches was four won and one drawn. The fixture on June 19 th - Everton v Tottenham –was the tit bit of the tour, and both sets of players were in real earnest and bent on victory. There was keen rivalry between the teams for gold medals of the Maltese cross pattern, and, after a most exciting contest, Everton ran out easy winners by 4 goals to nil. Freeman did the hat trick, scoring the first three goals, the third from a penalty. W. Lacey got the last point by a surprise shot. It is strange coincidence that Everton and Tottenham Hotspur should be the pioneers in Continental football and in South America. These clubs are the first to play against each other in two hemispheres. Result up to date against Tottenham as follows: -

1905 at Vienna, Everton won …………2-0

1905 at Prague, Everton won …………1-0

1909 at Buenos Ayres a draw ………………..2-2

1909 at Buenos Ayres Everton won …………4-0

Thus Everton have won three, and have a goal average of 9-2. From an Everton point of view the foregoing results make a pleasant reading proving the club's consistency. They have yet to know defeat on foreign soil after playing thirteen matches. Below are other results of the Argentine tour: -

June 10 v Alumni at Buenos Ayres Everton won………….4-0

June 15 v Uraguayan League at Monte Video Everton won ……….…2-1

June 20 v Argentine League at Buenos Aryes Everton won ………….4-1

During a lull of football we were invited to a day's racing at Palermo. This and other kindred sports gave great pleasure to both teams. Previous to leaving South America we were informed that our visit had been entirely successful. The profit was £300. It is to as a most pleasant reflection that we have contributed something to sport in South America and we venture to hope and trust that our visit will not have been in vain, and that a spirit of emulation will not only be maintained but persevered with. No doubt it will be with such an intelligent class of players, who only require development.


On the eve of out departure from Buenos Ayres we duly recongnised by letter to the A.F.A. our thanks for their kindness. One ventures to predict a progressive time for football at this, the centenary of the Argentine Republic's independence. One is deeply impressed by the wealth and enterprise everywhere manifest. From the present rate of advancement, a twenty days observation of Brazil, Uruguay and Argentine reveals a great future for the Republic. On Friday, June 25 we took up our berths aboard the Royal mail steamer Asturals, commander W. J. Dagnall, having said, good-bye to a large number of friends, including Mr. Hugo Wilson and his Council. Contrary to expectation, we did not sail that day owing to the tide. Indeed it was not until Sunday that we moved down the River Plate homeward bound, in a dense fog, which we slowly left behind, arriving at Monte Video, a distance of 109 miles from Buenos Ayres, the next morning. In the harbour at Monte Video was H.M.battleship Amethyst. To us Britishers the preponderance in this and other ports of the British flag was most gratifying. After a stay of about eight hours we stood out for Santos. Here we passed an excursion party up the mountains to San Paul but, owing to the cloudy weather and other climatic difficulties, got only as far as Alto de Siessia. We returned in quite a downpour of rain. By the way, we were hauled up the mountains by steel cables. On our return the Asturias dropped down the river in charge of a pilot.


We deemed at wise to have another look at the town of Rio, so, R. Balmer, Clifford, Freeman and myself chartered a launch, after much bargaining they expect a lot of money here, and made for the principal streets. The day being exceptionally fine, we thoroughly enjoyed the outing. When we came aboard ship again we were in readiness for dinner in our cosy corner of the saloon. In the evening we departed from this modern city, and arrived at Bahia, 749 miles from Rio de Janeiro. As on the outward journey fever was prevalent and the passengers were advised to remain on board. Still a grand display of fireworks from a most beautiful white building on shore lasted till 11.p.m. At four o'clock the following morning, I believe we again did the anchor trick, and departed for Pernamtrico 387 miles from Balia, and our last all on the Brazilian coast, where we presented ourselves early in the morning, going on deck at nine o'clock and being regaled with the usual shark and whale storiers. The English centre forward was most profuse in his description of his share of the “catch.” The methods of landing the passengers are here, a most novel one. Owing to the heavy surf they were put in large square baskets, and swing into mid air and then lowered into primitive barges and hauled to the town beyond.


We received some spendid samples of Brazilian fruit, and left with a complement of passengers of quite twenty different nationalities, including Val Harris's parrot. We had 2,734 miles to cover before we reached our next port of call. Madeira, a journey of eight days. We settled down for a good time as on the outward journey. July 9 th being the anniversary of the Constitution of the Argentine Republic, our commander proposed, in a speech, Long Life and Prosperity. Dr. Drago replied, I am told. His language was too rapid and complex for our newly acquired tastes. The rest of the evening was spent, as usual in, music and songs. We had the customary carnival, which was voted a great success, although not so well attended as on the outward trip. It had one most gratifying result, J.S. MaConnachie winning second prize, as a Highlander, in a costume made entirely by himself. He looked really what he is every inch a Scotsman. The character was distinctly unique and original. Messrs Wilkes and Tull, of the Spurs, the latter a gentleman of colour won third prize as Cruson and his man Friday. They really deserved their ward. In the sports department Mr. Wade was again among the prizes. He won three on his own, and Messrs. Freeman, Balmer, Mountford, Berry, and MaConnachie also won a few prizes. Last but not least mention must be made John Elliott, our evergreen who was in grand form at the shuffleboard and contended against Mr. Mie the trainer of Tottenham in the final. John rose to the occasion and won hands down. There was a collection of £130 for the purpose of sport, and we were fully in it regarding prizes. We arrived at Madaira and enjoyed a brief stay, and a bullock sleight tide, and then got under way for Lisbon.


We arrived there just too late for the ten o'clock Paris express train. We landed and a few of our people visited the Bull arena. Going on to Vigo we stayed a few hours for the customary giving and taking of passengers. We experienced some fog crossing the Bay of Biscay, which made us late at Cherbourg. From this port we made good progress to Southampton, and thence reached London. (Waterloo). We caught the midnight train for good old Liverpool, where we arrived about six o'clock a.m. In a summary of our ten weeks' tour we are pleased to say Everton Football Club has contributed something to the sport of nations, and in a measure, has broken down many of the old standing prejudice peculiar to foreigners. We were visitors in 1905 to Budapest, Vienna, and Prague, and last year to Haarlam in Holland. Undoubtedly our latest visit –to South America –has been the brightest in our wandering. Where we may find ourselves in future years we cannot tell, but a visit to Jerusalem would not be too much to contemplate. When a team has travelled 14,000 miles in ten weeks to introduce and develop first class football, and returns with a clean bill of health, and a clean slate, and at no cost (Our guarantee being ample), it has something to be proud of.


10, Wembley-garden, Orrel Park, Liverpool.








April 1909