Everton Independent Research Data


Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 01 December 1902
The Everton teem managed to scrape in the points against Derby on Saturday. They had Settle and Sharp reappearing, and these two men, who played remarkably well, made a tremendous difference in the Blues attack. The Derbyshire team played a capital game, and the fact that Everton claims the points shows most conclusively that they were in good form, for the Derby defence, usual, was fine.

London Daily News - Monday 01 December 1902
A crowd of about twelve thousand people gathered to watch this match on the ground of the Evertom club, and amongst the spectators the Lord Mayor of Liverpool. Sharp and Settle reappeared in the Everton team, and Middleton played instead of Davis for Derby County. The game opened in sensational style. Settle scoring for the first minute from a penalty kick. Subsequently Fryer kept goal for Derby in marvellous fashion, and prevented Everton from gaining any further success, while just on the interval Richards equalised for the visitors, the score change ends being one goal each. In the second half the Everton forwards played brilliantly, and maintained an almost continuous pressure. Bell scored from a free kick, and Everton won by two goals to one.

December 1, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
These teams met for the first time this season at Goodison-park on Saturday. The fixture was an attractive one as the visitors have been showing fine form, and occupied second position in the League table. Settle reappeared in the Everton team, Brearley going centre, while Davies was absent from Derby. The teams were: - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer, and Crelly, backs, Taylor Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Sheridan, Brearley, Settle, and Bell, forwards. Derby County: - Fryer, goal, Methven, and Morris, backs, Warren, Goodall, and J.May, half-backs, Turner, Bloomer, H.May, Richards, and Middleton, forwards, Referee R.Rodgers. The weather kept fine, and the attendance, which included the Lord Mayor and representative citizens, numbered about 12,000. Everton kicked off, and the start was quite sensational. The home left dashed down in great style, and Bell forced a corner Archie Goodall to concede a corner. The ball was well placed, and in the course of an exciting struggle with the twelve yards limit, the ball was handle by one of the Derby defenders. The inevitable penalty kick followed, and the kick was entrusted to Settle, who made no mistake. Everton thus opened the scoring in the first minute of play. The home team again pressed severely, and lighting shot from Booth just topped the bar. Then the County representatives made an incursion into the home half, Midleton getting in a clever centre, which Kitchen fisted out. Again Everton returned to the attack gallant style, and Brearley called forth all Fryer's resource with a grand shot, which the length custodian tripped away at the expense of a corner, following which Taylor tried his luck with a swift shot, which went just too high. Play now opened more, and once the Everton goal narrowly escaped captures, first Balmer, and then Kitchen using their feet to great effect. H.May was ruled offside, thereby spoiling a good effort by the County forwards, and the next item of interest was another brilliant onslaught by the Evertonians, in the course of which Settle sent in a magnificent shot, which Fryer very cleverly saved. Morris, who gave the Everton flyer few chances of distinguishing, closely attended to sharp. Play was extremely interesting, and the County were now having more of the play. From Brearley's pass Sharp ran through in brilliant style, and twice in rapid succession Fryer had to use his hands. There was no holding back the home front line, who were giving a fine exhibition. Another centre from Sharp was troublesome, and it was lucky for the County that Brearley headed just a little too high. Turner beautifully tricked Abbott and sent across cleverly centre May having an opening goal. Taylor however, came to the rescue of his side, and literally took the ball from the toss of the visiting centre-forward. At the other end a shot from Settle passed just outside, and then Kitchen fisted away from Middleton. The Everton forwards continued to play a fine game, and a tricky centre from Sharp was spoiled through Settle shooting wildly over the bar, Sheridan was applauded for his cleverness in tricking Archie Goodall, but the effort came to nothing, the shooting at this stage not being so effective as earlier in the game. A moment later Fryer effected a marvelous save from Settle when another goal seemed almost a certainly. Booth indulged in some high kicking which was of no service to his side. Just before the interval the County dashed off to the Everton goal, and following a centre by Middleton, Richards shot the ball into the corner of the net, Kitchen hurting himself in his efforts to save. The whistle blew almost immediately afterwards. Half-time Everton 1 goal, Derby County 1. The attendance had increase to at least 15,000 when the game resumed. The home forwards were the first figure prominently, but the opposing defence held them in check. Crelly neatly broke up a threatening attack by the visiting right wing, and after another spell of pressure on Fryer's charge Bloomer fastened on to the ball and dashed away despite appeals for offside, finishing up with a fast shot, which Kitchen diverted in fine style. This was followed by a period of terrific pressure on the Derby goal, which had some wonderful escapes, Fryer playing a great game. Brearley was pushed down in the penalty area but the offence passed unnoticed, and then a question arose as to whether a Derby defender in kicking back had sent the ball into the net. However the referee after consulting the linemen, decided that it had not been over the line. At last the determined efforts of the home side were rewarded, as they richly deserved to be. A free kick was awarded them close in, and Bell scored amidst tremendous cheering. The game in the later stages was played with great determination, but Everton thoroughly deserved their victory. Final result Everton 2, Derby County 1.

December 1, 1902. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination (Game 12)
At Black lane. Makepeace scored first for Everton, but one of the visiting backs missing his kick, Cranna equalised. Bennett scored again for the home side, who led at the interval by 2 goals to 1. In the second half Everton scored on three occasions, one from Rankin, and to one by their opponents. Result Everton 4, Blank lane 3. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Wildman, and R.Balmer, backs, C Clark, J Russell, and Makepeace half-backs, Rankin, McDonald Broadman Dixon, and T Dilly, forwards.

December 1, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
After a hard struggle, towards the close of which it almost appeared as if they would let victory slip through their grasp, Everton defeated Derby County, and to some extent made amends for their failure against Stoke the previous week. In the absence of Young and Bowman through injuries, it was decided to give Brearley a trial in the centre, and the local lad did not shape at all badly. Those who expected he would display ideal centre form would no doubt be disappointed, but considering the conditions, under which he was participating in such an onerous post for the first time in the Everton rank, he was certainly not a failure. In fact, the home forwards division shaped better than in any previous match at Goodison Park this season, and a little looseness in shooting alone prevented them from securing a more decisive triumph. Everton commenced in sensational style, for following a corner forced by Bell, a penalty was given against one of the visitors, who in a bully near goal knocked down the ball, and Settle signalised his reappearance in the team by converting. Beyond a temporary incursion by Middleton and Richards, on the Derby left wing Everton monopolised the bulk of the attacking, but Fryer, but Fryer preserved a skilful defence in goal, Brearley and Settle testing him with tremendous shots. Then a miss kick by Balmer let in the Derby centre-May- who however, shot very erratically with only Kitchen to beat, and Sharp recovering from the return, raced clean past Morris, and when close to Fryer seemed a certain scorer, but the custodian effected a brilliant save. Thus the fray continued. Everton causing Fryer constant anxiety, but nether Sharp nor Settle, each of whom plied him with fine shots, could again beat him. Turner got the better of Abbott, but the attack was quickly repelled through an equalised came when Middleton who all along had been the most dangerous forward in the visitors ranks, whipped across a grand centre, for his partner Richards to drive into the net, Kitchen in clearing, falling heavily against the upright and causing a slight cessation of hostilities. In the second half Bloomer got away, but Kitchen finely saved, and after a series of attacks, Bell secured the winning goal. Then Derby had more of the game, but the Everton defence proved exceedingly sound, and after the pressure had been relieved the home forwards again went away, and Fryer had to fall full length to clear from Settle. Although winning only by the bare majority of a goal, Everton deserved a more pronounced success for they were attacking during the greater part of the 90 minutes, but found Fryer equal to most of their incisive attempts to score. Settle was the most conspicuous feature in the forward line, and the same inside left showed no trace of the ill effects of the injury, which has kept him so long out of the team. His deft touches to his partner were exceedingly tricky, and near goal he was in a dangerous humour Sheridan also proved a serviceable partner fort Sharp, and gave the latter innumerable chances of displaying his speed, his transference to the right wing apparently causing him to inconvencies. Bell did well in the first half, but in the second he roamed about, with his arm hanging limply by his side, which rendered him almost useless. Taylor best represented the halves, and the manner in which he repeatedly dispossessed the opposing wing was only equalled by the assiduous attention he paid to his own front rank. Abbott and Booth were scarcely less prominent, though when it came to a question of shooting some most ambitious attempts were made, which only lacked accuracy, the goals stand being too frequently the receptacle of their efforts. Balmer gave an excellent display, barring one mistake, which however, did not end disastrously, and his partner Crelly shaped well against such a tricky wing as Bloomer and Turner. Kitchen kept a capital goal, and in fact the defence all round acted in very sound fashion. Derby impressed one as being dangerous side, but they were allowed little latitude in this match. Bloomer was rarely in evidence, and was the least effective of the front line, which caused Turner's play to suffer also, and what over the outside man accomplished was due principally to his own individual efforts. The left wing, however, was seen to more advantage, and in Richards the Midlanders possess a remarkably clever player, dashing and skilful. Middleton ran and centred very cleverly, and it was fitting that the only goal scored by the visitors should emanate from the quarter. In the half-back line, Warren was the most aggressive, Goodall being less effective than he usually the case, but both Methven and Morris presented a sound defence, their returns being cleanly and judiciously accomplished. Fryer in goal gave another extremely creditable display, and it was entirely due to his valiant clearances that the Everton victory was kept down to such a narrow margin. All kinds of shots came alike to him, but the way Settle out maneuvered him with the penalty kick. Such a custodian must inspire confidence into the backs in front of him and on Saturday's exhibition Fryer has no superior in the county.
By invitation of the Everton directors, the Lord mayor and Lady Mayoress, and a number of the city councillors witnessed the match, which proved sufficiently interesting to death them till the finish.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Saturday 06 December 1902
Dilly, the ex- Arbroathian, is-again included in the Everton team to-day vice Bell, who stands down. He dislocated his shoulder in the second half of the match with Derby County, though he never left the field. Bell has consulted a specialist, but his left arm bangs in a sling, and is very sore. The match is against Sheffield Wednesday at Sheffield.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 06 December 1902
Derby County having defeated Liverpool, and Everton having defeated Derby County, Everton, on paper, are superior to Liverpool. I think their position in the League is a more reliable test, and judged by that standard Liverpool are the better team. Their defeat at Derby, the other week, as I said before, ought to have been a draw, if not a win, for them; and it was one thing, a much more difficult thing, to tackle the Peakites at Derby than to be tackled' by them at Goodison. It was a bare win for Everton, and but for that penalty which Settle converted early on, points would have been divided, for there was nothing to choose between the teams afterwards.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 06 December 1902
Settle signalised his reappearance for Everton last week, after having been off since Sept. 13th, by scoring the first goal of the match. One would have expected him scarcely to knew what a goal was, after eleven weeks' absence; but though he showed all his old skill, I am afraid that his record for the season as a sharpshooter is ruined. It is Everton's loss, as well as his; how many goals have they lost, how many matches, during the time that he was in retirement? Is their record for the season ruined, well as his? Everton are not, perhaps, a one-man team—a single "star,” with a cluster of "sticks" —still, it is significant that victory should have returned to them with the return of Settle, and he is either a consummate player, a tower of strength, or a mascotte. Everton could do with both just now, plenty of skill, and plenty of luck; Settle, we know, brings one; let us fervently hope, " "Dicky Sams,” that he brings the other also.

December 6, 1902. Lancashire Daily Post
Mr. Walter Chadwick and His Work
Few families have so closely associated themselves with the association game as the Chadwicks, of Blackburn, and it may with perfect truth be added that the pastime is all the better for their connection with it. Mr. Chadwick, the father, has closely followed the fortunes of the old Blackburn Olympic and the Rovers almost from their formation, and it is a striking testimony of the regard Everton have always had for East Lancashire players that four of his sons-Alfred, Edgar, Walter, and Arthur –should have worn the dark blue jersey. Of this quanette, Edgar has been the only one to gain real distinction in the playing fields, and since his opening season with the famous Hole-in-the-wall Light blues, and throughout his association with the Blackburn Rovers, Everton, Burnley, Southampton, and Liverpool clubs, he has shown a brilliancy and consistency of form which could only have been maintained by a player of such steady and temperate habits. Every distinction in English football-dom has fallen to his lot –bar one. He has never yet earned an English cup gold metal although on several occasions he has participated in the final tie. With Liverpool in their present mood it is possible that he has not yet made his last appearance at the Crystal Palace, but, however, that may be, he will never have a better chance of earning a gold metal than he had with Everton came such an unexpected cropper at Fallowfield in the spring of 1893. Alf, a strongly built full back, possessing unusual tackling abilities, looked like proving a really tip-top defender when an accident decisively check his playing career. Still, with the whistle and on the line he is gradually coming to the front. Arthur, a younger member of the family, has shown good form whilst with Everton, but with so many class men in the ranks of the Toffeeites he has not been able to force his way into first division football. Walter Chadwick, the subject of the present sketch, who comes next to Edgar in point of age, is a sportsman of the very first water. Perhaps no gentleman in North-East Lancashire has done so much to foster local junior football, and he promises to loom largely in the future in the legislative councils of the game. As a player he did not fulfill the expectations formed of him in his youth, and after playing in Everton ranks a couple of seasons he threw himself whole=heartedly into promoting the interests of the rising juniors of Blackburn Sunday School League he was enabled to sign quite a number of youth for the Rovers, many of whom have since made a name for themselves in footballdom; indeed, two of them – Bob Crompton and Fred Blackburn –have risen to international honours. At the present time he is a referee under the auspices of the English, Lancashire, and –to come down the scale –the Blackburn and District Sunday School and Amateur Leagues, being rarely without an engagement of one kind or another. He is officially connected with the Sunday School League, the Amateur League, and the Blackburn Schoolboys, Competition, which has done so much to foster a love for the winter game amongst the boys attending the elementary schools of the town. Indeed, Mr. Chadwick was the originator of this competition, and during the first two years in which he held the secretarial reins, no less than £80 was raised in aid of local charities. In conjunction with Mr. J. Lewis, he has been responsible for the revival of the East Lancashire Charity Shield Competition, which is now participated in by the Sunday School League clubs, and is responsible for the raising of a fair sum annually in aid of local charities. Mr. Chadwick has not confined his efforts solely to football, for he is the originator and present secretary of the Blackburn School Boys and School girls' swimming Association. Through his instrumentality the Association has obtained free bathing facilities for the school children of the town with professional instructors in the natatory art for both boys and girls. Children attend the Corporation Baths in Freckleton-street in parties every 40 minutes throughout the week, a couple of galas winding up the season. The Corporation of Blackburn may be lacking in some respects but for the bathing facilities they have granted to school children they take a leading place. Mr. Chadwick holds that Blackburn is the first town in England in this respect, and states that last year the Association “bathed” 37,000 boys and 8,000 girls, and turned out 400 proficient boy and 160 girl swimmers, over 500 certificates being granted and 160 prizes being given at the galas. Himself a school-master, Mr. Chadwick has not spared himself in order to inculcate a love of honest sport and athletics in the hearts of the schoolboys of the town. He had a hand in establishing the sprint handicap for schoolboys at the annual infirmary gala and has therefore his hands pretty full. Going further afield, Mr. Chadwick is pretty certain to work his way up the football legislature ladder and promises to establish himself a sound, competent referee, of whom there are none too many at the present moment. A fortnight ago he made his first appearance at Deepdale in the centre if the field, and gave satisfaction to Prestonians and Burtonians alike. Though one of the youngest of League referees, he has for a number of years actively associated himself with the organizing of his fellow officials; indeed the Blackburn and District Referee Association has been mainly raised to its present high standard through his efforts. When Mr. Chadwick took over the secretarial reins the Association was in extremely low water, but it can now boast of something like 60 members, headed by such football “notabilities” as Mr. John Lewis, Mr. D.B. Woodfall, and Mr. R. P. Gregson, and Mr. J.J. Cooper. The syllabus is arranged so that some influential gentlemen will address the members at the end of each month, and the Association benefits its members not so much in the way of obtaining for them appointments as in equipping them with a better and more correct knowledge of the laws of the game. At such meetings there can be no doubt that a referee can learn more in an hour than he could derive from a book in a month. Mr. Chadwick deems that each affiliated Referee's Association should take steps to secure representation on the executive of the Lancashire Association, in order that their interests might be attended to Referees pay a registration fee to the Association and are constituted members thereof, thus being entitled to have representation. “I am of the opinion,” remarked Mr. Chadwick the other day, “that referees should rise by merit. I don't believe in anyone being pushed into first class football without going through the mill. A referee should first be capable of managing a junior match, and then rise by degrees. I contend that if a man can handle a game between juniors he is capable to officiate in almost any match.” Mr. Chadwick admits that he owes a great deal of his knowledge to the instruction given him by Mr. J. Lewis, of whom he is a keen follower. He holds that those who follow the “Penalty King” as Mr. Lewis is termed in the South –cannot go far wrong.

Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 08 December 1902
In the game at Owlerton on Saturday, Sheffield Wednesday secured a well-merited victory over Everton. The Mersey men made a far better fight than might be gathered from the score. Indeed, during the first 60 minutes they had as much of the play as their opponents. During the remainder of the contest, however, the home men attacked with such spirit and persistency that their superiority became very pronounced.

London Daily News - Monday 08 December 1902
The weather was beautifully fine at Sheffield for this match, and the only drawback was that the ground had been rendered rather hard by frost. The game was started in the presence of some 10,000 spectators. The play at the outset was even in character. Kitchen saving from Wilson, and Lyall from Settle. Wilson scored for Wednesday at the end of thirty minutes; but few minutes later Settle equalised for Everton from Sharps centre. However. Wilson scored again for who led at the interval by two goals to one. On resuming the play was fast and interesting. Spikesley receiving the ball from Malloch, headed a third goal for Wednesday, and before the end was reached Wilson obtained a fourth from a corner. Sheffield Wednesday winning by four goals to one.

December 8, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
Everton journey to Sheffield on Saturday to Oppose the Wednesday team at Owlerton. They made two changes from the team, which defeated Derby County. Bowman playing centre and Dilly outside left, Brearley being dropped and Bell having dislocated his collarbone, Sheffield played Thackeray for Layton. The ground was terribly hard teams: - Everton: - Kitchen goal, Balmer and Crelly, Taylor Booth (captain) and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Sheridan, Bowman, Settle and Dilly, forwards. Sheffield Wednesday: - Lyall, goal, Thackeray, and Langley, backs, Ferrier, Crawshaw, and Ruddlesdin, half-backs, Davis, Chapman, Wilson, Mutlock, and Spikesley forwards. Referee A.Kingscott. There was a fairly large crowd when a minute before half-past two, Wilson kicked off. Everton had the sun in front of them, but had the advantage of a slight breeze. Chapman and Davis immediately made play on the right, but challenged by Crelly, the ball was put out of touch. Bowman recovered ground, but Crawshaw prevented his further advance, and tripping the ball to Wilson, the latter player got within shooting distance, when he was timely hustled off the ball by Balmer. The Everton forward now settled down to some effective play, and the ball travelled from, end to end of the line. At this juncture both Thackeray and Langley were kept busy, and to prevent disaster, resorted to kicking out methods. However Settle got away, and gave Bowman a distinct chance but he over ran the ball, and then Abbott shot wide. The pace was maintained at a rapid rate, and coupled with really good play made the game very interesting. The Sheffielders now had a turn of sustained attack, and Chapman came within measurable distance of scoring with a header, the result of a smart centre from Spikesley. Balmer, and Shortly afterwards Settle and Sheridan were prominent in efforts to get the better of the home defence raised the siege. The inside left was somewhat unlucky with a terrific shot, which Langley charged down whilst Sharp was only a moment late in converting a neat pass from his colleague. At this stage Everton unfused great dash into the game, and were indisputably a dangerous side. The non-success of the Everton forwards was undoubtedly owing to the fine defensive play of Langley and Thackeray, who were ever on the ball, and anticipated to a nicety where Lyall was likely to be troubled. Then followed another breakaway by the Blades, and Spikesley's effort was only misjudged by inches. Almost immediately a corner kick was won by Dilly, but Settle received attention, when steadying himself for a shot. End to end plays followed. But only item of interest was a smart finish up by Spikesley, while Booth attended to. On a further passage of arms the Everton skipper had to concede a corner, which came to nothing. Wednesday were now distinctly dangerous, the foremost of them being Spikesley and Davis. The Blades now swung the ball about in a matter that temporarily unhinged the Everton defence, and a tussle between Crelly and Davis almost brought about disaster, as the little outside man shot narrowly wide of the mark. Getting to work again similar methods were adopted by the home centre, and on the ball being placed back to him, he had the better of Balmer and having now no opposition but Kitchen, sent in a fast shot, which struck under the bar, and entered the net with the custodian had missed his footing. This success came after the game had been in progress barley half an hour. With a couple of minutes the home lead was reduced by Settle who converted a smart pass from the right by means of a fast ground shot. Both team still strove hard for the master, and a long shot from Chapman sailed over the crossbar. The Blades were the more assertive, and twice the Everton goal had very narrow escapes indeed. On a third occasion Taylor had to concede a corner kick, which Spikesley dropped towards Wilson, who made no mistake, and from the close position to goal, Kitchen had no chance to avert Wednesday second goal. Half time Wednesday 2, Everton 1.
Wilson almost broke through in the second half in the first minute, and Sharp skimmed the Wednesday bar. Wednesday were soon attacking again. Mutlock shooting across the goalmouth, and later the same player at the end of a brilliant run by Wilson, shot magnificently, the Everton goal having a wonderfully narrow escape. Everton seldom managed to get close and several corners fell to Wednesday. Nothing came of them. Play afterwards ruled in favour of Wednesday, and Spikelsey headed a third goal. Ruddlesdin next hit the bar with a fine shot. From a corner Wilson added a fourth goal for the Blades. Result Wednesday 4, goals, Everton 1.

December 8, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination. (Game 13)
At Goodison-park, the ground being very hard. Trawden play very well, and had the best of matters at the start. Nunnick hit the bar, while Whitley saved well on several occasions. Towards the interval, Everton improved, and Broadman scored. Shortly after resuming Blackshaw equalised and although each end was afterwards visited there was no more scoring the game ending in a draw on one goal each. Everton: - Whitley, goal, Wildman, and V Harris, backs, Boardman, Ressell, and Makepeace, half-backs, McDonald, Boardman, Cullen, Dixon and Rankin, forwards.

December 8, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
The news of Everton's severe at Sheffield on Saturday created keen disappointment and surprise amongst their supporters. Still, there was no surprise for anyone who witnessed the game in which Everton sustained their most disastrous defeat of the season. Hitherto, in the eight matches, which have been lost, only one goal separated the winning and the losing side. Last Saturday's result created a new and by no means pleasant record for the Goodison Park club, and singularly enough, too, the verdict might have been much more pronounced than was represented by a score of four goals to one. There can be no doubt that in the second half of the game, not two, but possible half-a-dozen goals might have been registered by Sheffield Wednesday. This may seem somewhat peculiar when it is stated that for practically half of the game Everton was quite the equal of the Blades. It was a curious game, altogether, and up to the interval, although Wednesday were then leading, everything pointed to a fierce struggle for supremacy. On the hard, frost bound ground, the Evertonians opened in really splendid style. There was combination, there was dash in their movements, and there was an evident determination to succeed which led one to think that Wednesday would have to submit to what is a rare occurrence at Owerton Park- defeat in the presence of their own supporters. Somehow, the efforts of the visiting side could not produce the much-desired goal. Then a sudden break away gave an opening to that powerfully built centre-forward, Wilson who found the net with a shot with which Kitchen was totally unable to cope. Although a couple of minutes later Settle equalised with a fast ground shot, the Blades having tasted blood, played like quite a different team to what they were in the earlier stages of the encounter, with the result that the whistle had blow for the interval. Upto this point the game had presented more attractive feature the dashing forward play being combined with rare defensive tactics on the part of the team. But a very different story has to be told about the second portion. Right from the resumption Sharp skimmed the crossbar with a brilliant shot, but after this Everton were amply outclassed and outplayed. And it is many a long day since they had to submit to such a showing up. They seemed absolutely incapable of dealing with the remarkable clever and consistent efforts of their opponents. Under the circumstances the Blades adopted the right method of attack. They indulged in no fine short passing bouts, but swinging the ball across the field on every possible occasion, and backed up this class of play by alertness, and judgement, which every few moments threatened the Everton goal. Indeed it was quite astonishing that they were only rewarded by two goals. True, the ball on two other occasions was placed into the net, but the referee declared against them on account for offside, and through apparently one of the goals was quite legitimate it was a lucky circustance for Everton that the referee though otherwise. Such sustained pressure that the Wednesday players maintained might easily have produced a harvest of goals.

Everton made two changes from the team, which gave such a brilliant display against Derby County- a display, which led one to expect better things from the side on Saturday. In one case the alteration was unavoidable. Bell had dislocated his collarbone and therefore his place at outside left was taken by Dilly. With regard to the other change it was somewhat questionable if the directors of the club were well advised in displacing Brearsley in favour of Bowman, especially in view of the creditable performance of the ex-Middlesbrough player of the previous week. Certainly Bowman was by no means an ideal centre. He not only failed to distribute the play, but his passing was frequently very fault. Dilly too, was not a success in Bell's position, and seemed quite unable to co-operate with Settle, who throughout the game was always a trier. The right wing was the more successful and it was from Sharp and Sheridan that there was anything like an incisive attack. For once in a way the half-backs were not successful, but Abbott's ineffectiveness is probably due to a groin sprain which he sustained in the opening stages of the game. Considering the vast amount of work, which they were called upon to perform, both Balmer and Crelly did exceptionally well. Their methods were quite as safe, and effective as usual, and Kitchen certainly distinguished himself, and he could not be blamed for the big adverse margin. The Wednesday team are to be congratulated upon the wholeheartedness of their efforts. The forwards rarely allowed an opportunity of making headway to pass unheeded, and had they been at all deadly in their marksmanship the escutcheon of the Blues must have been severely tarnished. Wilson was a big success in the centre, at half-back Crawshaw played a great game, so far as breaking up tactics were concerned, and it was probably owing to his effectiveness in this respect that Bowman was unable to keep his line together. The full backs were sound, and in goal Lyall in the first half gave a display of cool custodianship, which was by no means an insignificant feature of the match.

Burnley Gazette - Wednesday 10 December 1902
Trawden Forest journeyed to Liverpool on Saturday, and encountered Everton reserve in cold weather, and on a hard ground. Blackshaw started, and at the outset the visitors showed up splendidly. They kept their feet much better than the homesters, and Nunnick fired at the bar with a beauty. Following this, Blackshaw grazed the post, and Calrk turned a dangerous rusg. Crabtree and Ashworth were too smart for the home forwards and Whitley saved a header from Grime. Then Everton had a turn, but the vsiting backs defended well, and the game was again transfered to home territory, Bowes hitting the post. For a long time Arnott had a cold experience in goal, for he had nothing to do. Later on, however, Broadman sent in a couple of shots, which he dealt with splendidly. He also saved from Rankin, and at the other end Whitley dealt with one from Robinson. Then Crabtree miskicked, and nearly gave a goal. Trawden continued to show fine form and had as much of the game as their opponents. Just before the interval, Whitley saved grandly from Blackshaw, and then Broadman scored for Everton, who at half time were leading bty one goal to nil. In the second half Trawden pressed for a considerable time, and experienced very hard lines in not equalising. Everton, too, made a vigorous effort to increase their narrow lead. The half-time score remained unaltered, and Everton thus secured the victory.

Derby Daily Telegraph - Wednesday 10 December 1902
With reference to the remarks quoted in our football notes last Saturday's " Telegraph " from Liverpool contemporary anent the conduct of certain members of the Derby County F.C'., Mr. R. Roberts, of Crewe, who officiated the match at between Derby County and Everton has written the following letter to A. L. Goodall, the captain of Derby County: "Your letter just received. I am exceedingly sorry to hear that report has appeared in one of your local papers that I had occasion caution two of your players for using obscene language in your match versus Everton on the 29th ult. On the contrary, I am pleased to say that I had no occasion to caution any of your players for either filthy language or ungentlemanly behaviour. I am sorry to say that some of the reporters these days manufacture all kinds of tales for publication. You are at liberty to publish my letter if you think fit, as think it is very unfair to have plavers slightted when there isno "occasion for it." [It should be stated that the paragraph in a Liverpool paper which was quoted in our columns referred the match between Derby County and Liverpool at Derby, and it has not been stated that the referee in the Everton match cautioned the players.—Ed. "D. D. T."]

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 13 December 1902
At Heywood, before 15,000 spectators. Bowman started for Everon, and play was keenly contested. Johnson scored with a splendid shot, and at the interval Heywood led by one goal to nil. Play nin the second half was again interesting, Wolstenholmes on several occasions saving brilliantly for the home team. Longsworth added a second point for Heywood, whilst Dilly and Boardman secured for Everton. Result; Heywood 2, Everton Reserve 2.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 13 December 1902
There is much heart-searching at Goodison in consequence of Everton's downhill course. Just think that a season ago they were second in the League; now they are tweltfh. A season ago Liverpool were eleventh; now they are seventh. The change is starting, and it is all the more painful to Everton because, while they are the underdog, Liverpool are the top. There would not have been so much cause of complaint had both been down; common misfortunes would have made their lot more bearable; but when Everton are down and Liverpool up, the Toffess naturally feel envious, and their faithful followers are getting angry, and want to know, you know, the reason of their decline and fall.

Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 15 December 1902
Everton's defeat of the League leaders represented good performance. The whole of the Good!son brigade played pretty well, but the outstanding feature (says Perseus ”), was the work of the experimental left wing, Settle and Rankin. The former was, of course, in his usual position as inside left, but the latter had hitherto been looked upon in the light of reserve to Sharp at outside right. On Saturday against the Albion he appeared on the other extreme, and played a first rate game, running swiftly, controlling the ball cleverly, and finishing strongly; he sometimes shot, however, when should have centred. But the man of the whole 22 was Settle, master in making openings; he gave a lovely display. Everton had Brearley centre and Taylor was brought from half to insjde right, Wolstenholme making happy reappearance in the intermediate line. Crelly did not impress one greatly; still he played a fair game, and there was no absolutely weak spot in the eleven. Albion performed effectively at one point, but early in the second half Everton asserted their superiority, and had the game well won before Buck and Dorsett retired injured. Stevenson received nasty knock late in the first half, and did not show his best form. Buck was the smartest forward, until was irriared, dribbling smartly. In defence Kifford and Webb were not too sound.

Athletic News - Monday 15 December 1902
Prominent Liverpool Amateur
By Junius
The subject of our sketch this week is Hugh  Griffiths, captain of the Liverpool Leek F.C., and one of the best known amateurs in the district having for over fifteen years been connected with the sport.  His first club was Priory, but on the formation of the Coburg F.C., over a dozen years ago, he attained himself to the new organization.  The amalgamation of Cobury with the Oakfield F.C, followed, under the title of the Casual’s, and although his three elder brothers were members of the Leek Club.  Griffiths remained with the Causals until two seasons ago, when he went over and joined the other members of his family.  How Leek value his services may be judged from the fact that he was selected captain for the present season, a position for which his experience and abilities eminently fit him.  He can always be relied upon as a certain starter – and in amateur circles this quality alone is worthy of notable mention – for during the last eight seasons he has only disappointed his club on  two occasions when selected for League matches, a record which will require some beating.  As an outside-right he is very tricky, has great command over the ball, and a rattling good shot.  He often assisted the now defunct Bootle club when in the hey-day of its fame and has also donned the Everton colours on occasionally.  During his long career he has been the recipient of nearly all the honours that can fall to a local amateur.  He has been selected by the Liverpool and District F.A for their representative matches and has gained medals in the following competitions;- Lancashire (Amateur), Liverpool and District Junior Cup.  Liverpool and District Combination, Minor Cup, llanrwst and St. St. Asaph tournaments.  Although thirty years of age, he is still as enthusiastic as ever, and whilst a vigorous players he has the reputation of being one of the most honorable of opponents.  He is 5ft 6ins, in height, turning the scale at 13st 7lb, and it may safely be said that few amateur players in this district can boast a wider experience or age more deeply respected. 

December 15, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
Albion down to nine men, after Everton scored third goal.
The visit of the Throstles to Goodison-park on Saturday was peculiarly attractive seeing that after a season in the second Division, they were the leaders in the first Division. The Everton team underwent considerable alteration from the side beaten by Sheffield Wednesday. While the only absentee on the Albion side was Simmons. There were 12,000 people present when the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer, and Crelly, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth (captain) and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, Brearley, Settle and Rankin, forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Webb goal, Kifford, and Adams, backs, Nurse, Stevenson, and Hadley, half-backs, McLean Buck Lee, Worton, and Dorsett forwards. Referee N.Whittaker. Everton lost the toss, and Brearley kicked off the home right at once taking up the attack on the right. Sharp got the better of Adams close in, and centred, but this shot was charged down, while a moment later Webb saved splendidly from the Everton outside right. The Throstle were kept in their own half, the home lot showing smart tactics Wolstenholmes from long range dropped the ball into the hands of Webb, and then Sharp put in a stinging shot which just went the wrong side of the upright. After a brief incursion by the Throstles the Everton left wing came to the front, Settle and Rankin being conspicuous. This persistent pressure was rewarded after a little more than ten minutes play. The ball was beautifully worked down by Settle, who beat two opponents, and parted at the opportune moment to Brearley, who with his left foot shot the ball past Webb, amid terrific cheering. This success so well deserved stimulated Everton to further exertions. Indeed at this stage there was only one team in it. Kitchen's position so far having been a sinecure. Rankin forced a corner, and following this there were some exciting exchanges in the vicinity of the Albion goal. The ball was banged in towards goal, time after time, but on each occasion, one of the defending side was in the way. At last the visitors obtained a corner, but this was placed behind, and once again Everton were the aggressors, though the Albion were now seen to better advantage, Lee put in a good run, and just when about to shoot Balmer rushed up and took the ball from his toe. Next a cross from Dorsett yields a corner, and after Hadley had shot outside the game was transferred to the other end. As the result of smart and effective combination Settle found himself in a position for a shot, but was brought down by Kifford. Fortunately for the visitors the offence occurred a few yards outside the penalty line. As it was the free kick almost led to the downfall of the Throstles goal, for it was only by a wonderful effort that Webb saved a terrific shot from Settle. Immediately afterwards Kitchen was called upon, and at this period the game was intensely interesting fine efforts being made by both sets of forwards. From one of their determined attacks the Albion were rewarded with an equalising goal. The ball was passed from wing to wing until Nurse gave to Lee, who shot past Kitchen, while the latter was apparently appealing for offside. The referee, however, awarded a goal. Following even play, Rankin ran down with the other forwards, but instead of passing, he shot and a glorious chance was lost. Kitchen managed to clear a high bouncing shot from Nurse, and with each side attacking in turn the interest of the spectators was fully maintained. Just before the interval, Everton made a determined attack on the Albion goal, Webb saving marvelously from Rankin. The ball hovered near the post for some seconds, several shots being sent in, but eventually Rankin drove the ball outside. When the whistle blew for the interval the ball was in the Albion half. Half-time Everton 1, West Bromwich Albion 1. The light was not too good when the game was resumed, before 16,000 people. Right from the start the ball was run down by Rankin and crossed by Settle to Sharp, who had a fine opening, which he failed to turn to account. Still the Evertonians were as desperately in earnest as they were in the opening movements of the previous half. Balmer got a terrific shot from long range, which Webb kicked away, and then Settle had the illuck to bang the ball against the upright. There was no resisting the magnificent efforts of the home forwards, and the Albion goal succumbed. Abbott centred, Booth tipped the ball on a little, and Settle scored with a shot, which gave Webb no chance. Rankin's sprinting powers were exceedingly useful to his side, and after one fine run, he gained a hearty round of applause for a splendid oblique shot from a difficult position. Webb had his hands full, and only partially saving from Brearley, Wolstenholme beat him for a third time. The Albion for a change were being completely outplayed, and they were lucky in escaping further disaster. Putting forth a great effort they invaded Everton's half, but Kitchen was not troubled. Dorsett and Buck afterwards left the field injured, and the visitors being left with only nine men, the game was lost much of its interest. Result Everton 3, goals, West Bromwich Albion1.

December 15, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination (Game 14)
At Heywood. The home side showed up best at the start, and Joyce was beaten this being the only point in the first portion. In the second half Heywood again scored, and then Bowman retired hurt. Chadwick and Russell, however, put on goals for Everton, and the game end in a draw of 2 goals each. Everton: - Joyce, goal, Henderson, and W Wildman, backs, Clark J Russell, and TC Chadwick, half-backs, Wolfe, Boardman, Bowman Makepeace, and Dilly, forwards.

December 15, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
The visit of West Bromwich to Goodison Park proved a rare attraction, for the midlanders, who at present deservedly head the League table, had not lost a League match since October 11, when Liverpool beat them at home. Everton made several alterations in the team originally selected to do duty. Rankin playing outside left Brearley in the centre again while Taylor was brought into the front rank to partner Sharp, which let in Wolstenholmes at right half. Whatever, be the reason, there is no getting away from the fact that Everton gave a really fine display of football, outplaying their opponents at all points of the game and that their victory did not reach even greater proportions is due to a couple of unaccountable blinders by Taylor and Brearley, each of whom missed an open goal in the last ten minutes. Compared with Everton's exhibition at Owleton it was difficult to imagine that such a change in quality of play could be possible within a week, but here were the almost invincible Albion players completely vanquished by a side that had undergone a like experience only seven days before. Such irreconcilable deeds may be interesting to those who delight in pointing out the unreliability of football form, but it is scarcely the mode of procedure necessary to inspire confidence in the breasts of a club's supporters. It was early evident that the home players were in they best humours, for on the heavy ground they kept their opponents penned in their own quarter for over twenty minutes during which time the visitors scarcely got over the half-way line. This unceasing pressure was rewarded by a fine goal from Brearley, though the opening for the same was due to some excellent work by Settle, who baffled three opponents before giving his centre the pass. Then did the Albion display a little of that form which has gained for them renown this season, the ball travelling from wing to wing in orthodox West Bromwich style, though the equalising goal should have been stopped by Kitchen, who appeared to be claiming for offside, what time the leather sailed into the netting. For a time the visitors seemed like getting the lead, but just before the interval Everton put on extreme pressure, and Webb's cleverness alone-averted disaster.

Maintaining the brilliance of their attack on restarting the Albion goal in five minutes had escaped wonderfully as many times when Settle scored the second point, and after this reverse the West Bromwich star began to wane and gradually died out. The visitors first of all lost the service of Buck, and to add to their troubles, Wolstenholmes gained the third goal; while a few minutes later Dorsett was hurt in a collision with Balmer, and had to be carried off. With the one back tactics adopted, Everton singularly failed to adapt themselves to the conditions, but Brearley ran clean though, and likewise Taylor each of whom, however, was beautifully bluffed out of what should have been a certain goal by the Albion custodian. Everton gave a really capital exhibition in every department, but it was in the forward division where the greatest improvement was manifested. Brearley is not what is often glibly termed an ideal centre, but there is no getting away from the fact that he is a rare trier and on the season's form a long way superior to any player Everton have tried in this onerous position. When he can once tumble to the intricacies of the artist at inside left-Settle-and evolve on similar lines, Everton will possess a very useful centre forward. Rankin was one of the most prominent members of the front rank, and deserves an extended trial. In the first half he spoiled must good work by shooting recklessly when a timely pass to his comrades who were waiting with an almost open goal to receive the ball, would have been the correct course to adopt; but in the second moiety he discarded these useless tactics and the efficiency of his work increasing 50 per cent in value. His speed proved of great service, whilst his centres particularly after the interval, were exceedingly clever. Settle was likewise in fine trim, and with such a partner a player must aline if he has any football in him. Taylor was erratic in his passing, and Sharp after opening well was seldom in evidence after the interval. The halves were, as usual, always on the ball, and kept the front line fully employed. Wolstenholme made a most successful reappearance, and signalled the same by scoring a goal. Booth and Abbott were prominent alike in tackling and placing and no doubt the inefficiency of the Abbott front rank-otherwise such a dangerous quintet-was due to the sound work displayed by the trio of halves. Further behind Balmer was seen to great advantage and Crelly gave evidence of continued improvement, the defence in this department being so stubborn that Kitchen had little to do.

The Albion failed to impress one as a side likely to win the League Championship, though they were handicapped somewhat in the second half, when they had to battle with weakened resources. The left wing was the most dangerous part of their forward division, and it was rather curious that this pair should have to leave the held owing to injuries. Dorsett ran and centred finely, while Buck gave him every chance of displaying his sbility. Worton is a sturdy forwards, but doubtless the team is beginning to feet the strain of four months football, and the incentive offered to opponents to bring about their discomfiture. At half Hadley was the most conspicuous figure, though Nurse accomplished a vast amount of steady work, especially when his side was dimished in numbers. The two backs were not particularly noticeable, but Webb made some capital saves, and it was due to his judicious work that prevented his charge being captured when he alone faced the enemy. With the ball heavy and greasy, the custodian task was rendered doubly difficult, and he came out of the ordeal most creditably. Everton have only to reproduce the form display in this match to quickly increase their number of points, and if it be deemed advisable to gave the same combination another opportunity of showing its worth, Notts County may this week end have their victorious career checked also.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 20 December 1902
Settle's exhibition at the Everton-Albion game at Goodison emphasised again the super-excellence of this fine little fellow. How quick he is in every movement—nippy as we say in football parlance; and he preserves such a wonderful degree of coolness that he never gets himself into knot. Many men who are notably sharp and clever in point of footwork lose their value through getting mixed up, and when the point for parting with the ball arrives they have little idea as to the disposition of their fellows. Settle very seldom loses any of his splendid sang friod; and carrying in his eye the positions of his comrades he turns his fine footwork and electric like dodging to fullest advantages, knowing when and where to pass the ball and when to shoot.

He ability to initiate attacks by a skilful dribble in which he draws his opponents and then transfers to a friendly foot is altogther exceptionally; and goalkeepers at least are acquainted by painful experience with the sharply-taken shot with which he can finish a movement. He may not be quite such an expert marksman as Bloomer, but he presses pretty closely on the Derby player's heels, and like him can flash the ball in without the laboured preparatory steadying which characterises the lesser lights. This is Settle at his best -Settle very nearly as I saw him against the Throstles. In his early days Bolton allowed him to slip through their fingers. What would the Wanderers give in their present parious conditions to have James Settle, not to mention one of their last year's forwards, Barlow, who has been shinning so brightly in the South. Rankin, who played outside left as Settle's partner, gave a display which made the experiment an unqualified success. If he can maintain the standard which he set up on the occasion, he will come to be recognised as one of the leading left wingers in the League. He is fast, clever in controlling the ball, and can both centre and shoot, inclining, perhaps, overmuch to the latter method of finishing. Of course, he was well served by his experienced colleagues, and he was lucky in finding Kifford off colour; but even with these things in his favour he performed with surprising promise. Brearley, another Evertonian I saw last week, was induced to join th Mersey club largely by the present secretary of North End, Mr. W.E. Bahr, who knew the player personally, and and exerted a good deal of influence in consequence. Brearley was last season engaged with Middlesbrough, and his scoring powers had much to do with the Tees-siders' entry into a First Division, which recalls the fact that he had a hand in the return of Notts County to the select circle. Brearley has moved about the country, having played with Notts, several Southern clubs including Millwall, and with Middlesbrough and Everton. Shooting is rightly reckoned his forte, and he has a happy facility for spinning round sharply and taking a sort of "pivot" shot which comes unexpectedly and therefore with greater danger. He scored in this way against the Albion, when, by the by, he appeared in the centre.

J.D. Taylor is an ideal worker still, as energetic as ever, alwways pegging away with right good will, like another old Dumbarton man -James Stevenson Taylor was never a footballer of superlative skill, but he has always been a real good grafter blessed with fair ability, and he is a very fast shot. The way in which he revels in his work all the way through a game is a lesson to many younger players, but were it not that Everton have Wolstenholme back in the intermediate line, I would sooner see Taylor at half than in the atatck, for his ceaseless activity and strong tackling constitute him a capital breaker up.

December 22, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
After their brilliant win at the expense of West Bromwich Albion, Everton on Saturday had great hopes of securing a couple of points at Nottingham. In order that nothing should be left to chance the players travelled from Liverpool on Friday, and stayed the night in the lace capital. The weather, though threatening, was dull and probably owing to the early start there were not more than 5,000 spectators at the opening. Teams : - Notts County: - Pennington, goal, Prescott, and Swift, backs, Innes, Mainman, and Macdonald, half-backs, Joynes, Humphreys, Green, Ross, and Gee, forwards. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer, and Crelly, backs, Wolstenholme, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, Brearley, Settle, and Rankin, forwards. Referee T.Armity The spin of the coin favoured the County and Brearley opened against a slight breeze, Taylor and Sharp at once made play on the right, and Wolstenholme forced a corner off Swift. Sharp placed well, but Mainman chipped in and cleared. Again the Everton front rank returned to the attack. Eventually Gee got away and centred. With further assistance by a free kick against Settle, the cricket ground players became somewhat dangerous. Balmer was a strong harrier to their success, and then Settle tested Pennington with a swift grand shot. Then followed a smart attack upon Kitchen's charge, and following several quick passages between the centre forward and his wings Ross headed in, and the keeper cleared with a flying kick. For some few minutes the County were distinctly dangerous, and a corner kick was forced. This was well placed by Joynes to Gee, who headed in, and on the ball passing out to Humphreys, the later opened the scoring with a shot that glided off Crelly into the net. The Everton defenders were now having an anxious time, and Gee only just missed netting the ball by the nearest shave. The County right wing did clever work, and in Innes they had excellent support. Following a corner kick to Notts, Sharp and Taylor eventually got away, and when Settle looked like getting through, Mainman tackled. A smart run by Rankin was the next item, and Brearley under somewhat difficult condition sent in a shot what topped the crossbar. Again Everton returned to the attack, and some smart play was witnessed between Abbott, Settle, and Rankin. There was however, no getting the better of the home defence. A free kick against Settle for fouling Humphreys resulted in the ball being placed in the net, but it had not touched a player in its progress. Long swing passes to the wings were the method adopted by the County, and it was not surprising that on more than one occasion the visitors goal looked like being again captured. However, Everton responded gallantly and Brearley, Settle and Taylor hereabout put in much good work, and it was fortunate for the home team that Prescott and Swift were so reliable. Notwithstanding a free kick against Everton, they returned to the attack but this time they were not at all precise in their finishing movement, and a good opening was lost. The County retaliated and after Kitchen had saved while on his knees, the ball was sent the wrong side of the upright. During the next two or three minutes the home right wing toyed with the opponents. Humphreys being the more prominent by reason of tricky movements and a magnificent shot, which Kitchen cleared in good fashion. Immediately afterwards Pennington just got his toe in time to prevent Settle placing his side on level terms. Abbott finished a further attack by shooting very wide and for a few minutes the play of the Everton forwards was most attractive to follow. Mainman was the stumbling block to almost all the movements of the Everton forwards, Settle repeatedly being the object of his attention. Half-time Notts County 1, Everton nil.

Everton in the second half had at their backs the wind, which seemed to have increased in force. The crowd had also increased to about eight thousand. The County opened in more aggressive fashion than the visitors, but their shooting was not such as to trouble Kitchen. The Everton forwards smartly transferred play to the other end, when Prescott repelled an attempt by Wolsteholme. The Notts attack was clever, but Balmer was in the way on more than one occasion. Following pressure by Everton, Rankin sent behind, and a moment later from a corner the Everton outside left made a very feeble attempt to place the ball in the goalmouth. Another corner was equally abortive. Then the County assumed the aggressive, and on the occasion Balmer gave Kitchen a most awkward ball to deal with from a miskick. Settle had a good opening, but shot ridiculously wide. Booth made a good effort for a subsequently corner kick, and a moment later Sharp appeared to be going through when Pennington took the ball from his toe. In the course of further play, Green scored for Notts. Settle was injured, and though he afterwards returned, Everton failed to score. Final result Notts County 2, Everton nil.

December 22, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination (Game 15)
At Goodison park, a keen game being witnessed. Stanley scored luckily through Watkins in the first minute but Bowman headed a grand equalising goal. Boardman put on a second point, and Everton led by 2 goals to 1 at the interval. Soon after resuming Whitley saved in magnificent fashion, and then Sheridan hit the visitors crossbar. There was no more scoring, and Everton won by two goals to one. Everton: - Whitley goal, Henderson and W Wildman, backs, Clark, Russell, and Makepeace half-backs Wolfe, Broadman, Bowman, Sheridan, and Dilly, forwards.

December 22, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
The inconsistency, which has distinguished the Everton team this season was markedly illustrated in Saturday's game with Notts County. A week ago a reorganized side covered themselves with glory by accomplishing a feat which other clubs had vainly tried to effects, namely defeating West Bromwich Albion- the League leaders-by three goals to one. The same players represented Everton in the contest with Notts County, yet strange to relate the discrepancy between the display was most remarkable. While at Goodison park the team would probably have defeated any club in the country, their exhibition on Saturday was to say the least, not at all creditable. It is this in and out play which astonishes the supporters of the club. The fact that one game is played at home and the other on foreign ground does not furnish any real reason for the deplorable falling away of form. Everton previously have won on the County ground, and on more than one occasion this season they have played some of their best games away from home. Still, the extraordinary changes of form require some explanation, which to those not intimately associated with the management of the club, is not at all apparent. Some few seasons ago it was uncommon, when clubs from Liverpool suffered reverse at Nottingham, to put forward the excuse that the railway journey through the peak district had a deterious effect upon the conditions of the players. No such reason can be urged for Everton's defeat last Saturday. The team, accompanied by three of the directors, and the secretary, left Liverpool on Friday afternoon, and stayed the night in the lace capital, so that they were in the best of trim for giving one of their brilliant exposition of the game of which they are undoubtedly capable. Unfortunately. The hopes that had been entertained that Everton would repeat their two goals to nil victory of last season were rudely dispelled, and singularly enough, the verdicts was exactly reversed. There could be no disguising the fact that on the play, Notts County most certainly deserved their decisive success. Only very occasionally did the Evertonians suggest the brilliant combination and persistence of attack which distinguished them against West Bromwich Albion, and even then the finishing efforts were not at all what might have been expected from the self same forwards who gave Webb so much hard work to do. On the other hand, the County players were always alert, always looking for work, never waiting for the ball to come to them, but ever seeking for openings which had the least semblance of being turned to the advantage of their side. Especially prominent in this direction were the three County half-backs, and none expelled himself more than did Mainman. Singularly enough, an ex-Evertonian in Gee was the medium in bringing about Everton's downfall. He was concerned in both goals registered against the visitors, more directly the second, when a brilliant run down the wing, and an equally clever cross shot laid open a fine chance to his centre forward, and so accurate was the movement, and its finish that the Everton custodian was quite helpless. The second success of Notts occurred in the later stages of the game, but the margin was all, but reduced by Rankin and hostilities finished. The second point was recorded during the absence of Settle, who had got into collision with Swift, but apart from reduced numerical strength, the home side were at this juncture playing a grand game. From what has already been stated, it can be readilty understood that the display given by the Everton forwards reached a very low standard of efficiency. There was nothing in their movements that savored of danger, and their greatest failure was noticed when within range of the home custodian's charge. Here many of their efforts were ludicrous in the extreme, and, though the County half-backs had much to do with discomfiture, it could not be said that the altogether accounted for such a puerile display as was given. Rankin at times put in many fine sprints, Settle was always a marked man. Brearley was fitful, Taylor came conspicuously under the notice of the referee, and Sharp was only rarely dangerous. Combination there was little, and such individual efforts as were brought out on Saturday were not likely to carry then through against the least accomplished teams in the League. The best work in the half-backs line came from Booth. Abbott, for once in a way finding the wing opposed to him a most difficult pair to contend with, and Wolstenholme had also a stiff task, in hand in keeping down, the frequent demands of the County left wing forwards. Under the heavy pressure Balmer, Crelly and Kitchen got through their work in creditable fashion.

The home side as a body displayed a determination to succeed that was altogether lacking in the opposing ranks. Long swinging passes from wing to wing greatly troubled the Everton defenders, and there was an understanding between the front and half-back line that from the start of the game augured success. The wingmen were fairly good, but the best work was accomplished by Humphreys at inside right, who displayed good command of the ball, though at times he was inclined to overdo it. The half-back division played well throughout, and was best represented by Mainman, who was concerned with the breaking up of almost every attack levelled by the visitors. Prescott and Swift defended stubbornly, and though Pennington was lame, he kept his charge in safe fashion. While Notts unquestionably were the better side, the game was not of a high class character, and if Everton had only approximated to their display of the previous week, there was no reason why the issue should not have been agreeable to the followers of the Goodison Park organization.

December 25, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
The Everton football club have decided top give the net profit of the League match at Goodison Park on the 17 th proxy, to Balmer and Wolstenholme, two players who have faithfully served the club for several seasons.

December 26, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
The first League fixture proved a great attraction at Grimsby yesterday afternoon. The visitors made three changes from the side beaten by Notts County. Balmer could not play owing to a cold, Taylor was injured, while Kitchen stood down, Henderson Sheridan and Whitley playing. Grimsby had a strong team. Teams: - Grimsby Town: - Whittaker goal, McConnell, and Gardner backs, Hemmingfield, Hall, and Dunn, half-backs Fletcher, Ronaldson, Appleyard, Long, and McLathchie forwards. Everton: - Whitley goal Henderson, and Crelly, backs, Wolstenholme, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs Sharp, Sheridan Brearley Settle, and Rankin, forwards. Referee H.Ward.

The visitors won the toss and took advantage of a strong breeze. The opening stages were altogether in Grimsby's favour, and three corners were forced in as many minutes. Whitley being called upon to defend which he did in fine style. The play soon degenerated however, and for some time neither side could claim any advantage, though it was noticeable that Grimsby were maintaining their improved form, and playing with better combination. Hall, the home centre half was injured, but was only off the field a few minutes. Just after this Grimsby made a fine assault upon Whitley charge. Fletcher sending in from outside right, followed by another from the left, which the Everton custodian only just saved near the upright. From a foul the visitors had a good opening but the wind carried the ball wide of the mark. A corner fell to Everton, and though danger was temporarily cleared, the visitors returned to the attack, Sharp shot strongly for goal, and Whittaker scooped the ball out, but bouncing it struck the upright, and then the crossbar, before it was eventually placed in midfield. It was a remarkable escape when everything pointed to Whittaker's charge falling. Play was soon reversed, and the home forwards swooped down in a body. Hall, making a grand effort to score, but Whitley fisted away. With a clear field Everton got away, Brearley shooting with no opposition from about twenty yards. Whittaker met his ground shot on bended knees and the ball was thrown away. On the whole play, was not very exciting though it was well contested, and the teams appeared very evenly matched. The Everton left wing was worked most but they failed to score by halftime, when neither goalkeeper had been beaten. On resuming the home team, started strongly, and working down on the left wing, Long passed to Appleyard, who shot for goal, Whitley stopped the ball, but after clearing it was immediately returned, and again Whitley saved but at the expense of a corner, Fletcher placed the ball beautifully, and Hall headed into the custodian's hands, the position being with difficulkty saved. It was a remarkable restart, the pressure on Everton goal being very strong. Play continued fast, but for fifteen minutes the ball was never in Grimsby half. The Everton goal was in great danger from a foul close in a scrimmage resulting in the ball being skied over the crossbar. Brearley, and Sheridan getting clear away caused a complete change, and passing the home backs, met Whittaker alone. The home custodian caught the ball, however, and being impeded by Sheridan a free kick was given. Shortly afterwards Sharp made a fine effort to score, the ball just going over the bar, while a shot from Booth landed the ball right in, Whittaker's arms. Play was rapidly transferred from end to end, and each side strove hard to open the score. Fletcher almost beat Whitley, the custodian saving well. Then Appleyard shot from long distance, and to save the Everton custodian had to concede a corner. From LcLathie's flag kick, a scrimmage ensued close in, and after severe attack, and equally stubborn defence, the ball went over the line and a goal kick resulted. Long was injured, and had to be carried off the field, play being suspended for a time. A corner kick for Grimsby was badly taken by McLathie, and the ball went behind. Soon after this Henningfield placed a beautifully forward to Appleyard, who again attempted to score, but being keenly watched he failed, and injured his shoulder though a charge. All efforts to score failed on each side, the game resulting in a goalless draw. Long was unable to resume for Grimsby. Whitley kept a fine goal. Final result Grimsby nil, Everton nil.

December 26, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination (Game 16)
This return match was played at Goodison park, the initial game having ended in a draw two goals each. Teams: - Everton: - Kitchen goal, R.Balmer, and W Wildman backs, Brown, J Russell, and TC Chadwick, half-backs, Wolfe, Boardman, Bowman Makepeace, and Bates, forwards. Heywood: - Wolstenholme, goal, Eckersley, and Hodkiss, backs, Holden, Walden, and Oldham, half-backs, Johnson, Taylor, Patterson, Scotson, and Barlow, forwards. Bowman started against a strong wind, and play ruled in favour of the visitors for a time. Kitchen at once ran out and saved well, and play was taken to the visitor's end, where Brown sent a splendid long shot just over the bar. Heywood retaliated on the left, and Barlow tried a long shot, which sailed across the goal, and into the corner of the net. Kitchen making a very poor attempt to clear. With the wind behind them the visitors continued to attack, and Johnson with a clear course shot wide, while Kitchen had to run out top avert disaster. Russell was a conspicuous defender, and Everton dashed away only for Bates to get offside. Heywood showed much the better form, and were very dangerous near goal. Kitchen punched away a good shot from Taylor, while Patterson was only a foot too high with a good screw shot. At length Everton got going, Wolfe, Boardman, and Bowman combining well, and Bates made two good attempts to net through, the wind each time carrying the ball back. After this play ruled in midfield for along time. Heywood were first to become dangerous, but Balmer and Wildman robbed the forwards in great style, the right wing taking up the running Hodgkiss and Oldham, however, pulled them up, and though Bates tried hard on the other wing, Wolstenholme ran out and kicked away. The Heywood attacked strongly, Kitchen saving from Barlow and Walkden. A splendid run by Bates and Boardman followed, the latter sending just outside. In quick succession Kitchen twice saved grandly from Patterson and Scotson. Bowman retired hurt, but Everton kept their goal from further downfall. Half-time Heywood 1, Everton nil. Bowman was still absent when play was resumed, and in the first minute Wolstenholme saved from Bates. Then Wolfe dropped in a beautifully centre, but the custodian cleared Boardman's header. Everton kept up a continuous pressure, and from a corner well taken by Bates, Boardman headed just over the bar. The home side had bad luck on more than one occasion. Wolfe having one very hot shot charged down. By means of free kicks Heywood got into the home half, Wildman clearing finely. First Wolfe and then Holden were hurt, but both resumed and Wolstenholme saved a beauty from the former. Following a free kick, Taylor hit the Everton post with a fine shot. Then the Heywood custodian saved from Makepeace and Russell, and the backs frequently kicked outside as time drew near. Makepeace made a great effort to equalise, but an abortive corner was the only result. Then Barlow scored again for Heywood, Kitchen being at fault, and Everton sustained their first home defeat. Heywood 2, Everton nil.

December 26, 1902. The Glasgow Herald
At Grimsby, before 3,000 spectators Everton, winning the toss, had the advantage of a good wind in the first half, but were unable to attack. Grimsby facing several abortive corners. Play was largely in the visitor's territory, the Grimsby right wing scoring very smart, but towards the interval Everton attacked, and Whittaker had to deal with some capital shots. The game was however, one of splendid defence on both sides, the attack being inferior. In the second half Grimsby forced the play, but the Everton defence scored impregnable. Whitting giving a capital display in goal. Towards the finish play was of a fast character. Everton defence was bombarded Whitley saving a splendid shot from Appleyard in the last few minutes. Long retire injured, but Grimsby pressed up to the finish result Grimsby 2 Everton 0

December 26, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
These teams met on the former's ground in a friendly before a very good attendance. The Star went away with great dash and three minutes from the start, McGuffe scored a capital goal. Everton who were a man short, and had to battle against a strong wind strove hard to make headway, but the capital defence of the Star was far too good, although the narrow ground was very much against them. McGuffe was next offered a good opportunity to increase the home side's lead and them Stainton rushed away, but shot over the bar. Fouls were frequent, the Star being the greatest aggressors in this respect. A couple of corners fell to the Wanderers without result, and then Joyce, in taking a goalkick, sent the ball strongly against Mawdsley, and from the rebound, he was lucky to get back and scoop the leather outside. The corner was cleared, and Crosbie checked a move by Davlin and Mainman. McGuffe sent in a beauty, which Joyce finely accounted for, the Everton custodian immediately afterwards being twice called upon. The Star were having all the play at this period, but there was no getting through the Everton defence although a long shot by Hardaker skimmed the bar. At half-time the Star led by a goal to nil. With the change of ends, and the wind in Everton's favour, the ball was soon in the home goal, and after Stainton had sent in a fast low shot, which just missed the mark. Mainman made a wretched attempt with an open goal. However, matters were not allowed to be one sided, and play opening out the game was splendidly contested, the Star front rank giving a fine exhibition, and on several occasions deserved to score. From a penalty Crosbie added a second point for the Wanderers, and then Morton scored a simple goal for Everton. final result Wanderers 2, Everton 1.
Note , L.Bell, missed a penalty for Bolton Wanderers again, this time at Anfield.

Lancashire Evening Post - Friday 26 December 1902
At Grimsby, before 8,000 spectators. The feature of the game all through was the splendid defence on both sides, which prevented any scoring. Everton had the advantage of a strong wind at the outset, but Grimsby did most of the atatcking, and forced several unproductive corners. The home right wing proved very troublesome, but Whitley did well in goal, whilst at the other end Whittaker brought off several good saves. The game was very fast in the second half, Grimsby again doing the bulk of the pressing, without result however. In the last few minutes Long retired injured, but Grimsby more than held their own up to the finish. Result-Grimsby 0, Everton 0.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 27 December 1902
The poor form of Everton late has canscd much discontent in the ranks of the Goodison crowd. The cry for a sacrifice, a director or two and few players, is being raised again. In October Mr. Cuff, secretary, came back after his suspension, and the club began to win games; he was praised up to the skies and too much could not be said in his praise. Now'they point out that Mr. Cuff is a solicitor, and ask what can he know about football, &c., Again in quiet corners one hears the name of Mr. Molyneux mentioned, and it has been predicted that this gentleman will go back to his old office again before long.

December 27, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
The principal attraction locally in football circles for Boxing Day was a friendly fixture at Goodison-park, between Everton and Glasgow Rangers. Although the weather was dull, the rain held off, but at two o'clock, when the game was announced to commence, there was only a moderate attendance, “friendles” having apparently lost a great deal of their old interest. Everton placed a curious side in the field. The usual league players, who only arrived after a tiring journey from Grimsby late on Thursday were given a rest, and a experiments on a proceed scale were made. Three of the Nomads players, Thomas and Elston (Liverpool Leek) and Lawrence (Blackburn Etrurians) were included. It had also been intended to try Walmesley of Blackburn Etrurians at left back, but during practice he had the misfortune to break his leg. The visitors, who had been beaten the previous day at Preston, were not strongly represented. It was nearly a quarter past two when the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Henderson, and Clark, backs, Makepeace, Thomas, and Russell, half-backs, Lawrence, Boardman, Sheridan Dilly, and Elston, forwards. Glasgow Rangers: - Dickie, goal, Speedie, and Drummond, backs, Gibson Neill, and Robertson half-backs, Bennie, W Walker, Hamilton, J.Walker, and A.Smith, forwards. Referee J.McGill. The Rangers kicked off and at once asserted superiority Kitchen being called upon to handle. The Scotchmen continued to monopolize the play, some of their passing being exceedingly effective. Shortly afterwards however, Elston ran the ball down cleverly, and Dilly put in a shot which Dickie dealt with smartly. The Rangers, however, were quickly back at the other end, when Bennie was prominent with a fine try, Kitchen bringing off a good save. A corner, forced by the right wing, was not turned to advantage, and offside spoiled a decent attempt on the part of the Everton front line. Neill was penalised for tripping and following the free kick, which was taken close in Russell called upon the custodian. It was difficult to arouse much interest in the play, which was mostly in favour of Rangers. The old Liverpool winger, shot into the hands of Kitchen, while Hamilton sent wide. Better combination by the Everton front line yielded two successive corners, which were not ultised, and then J.Walker had an open goal, but feebly shot the ball against the side of the net. Dilly made a nice opening for Sheridan, but before the latter could get in his shot he collided with the goalkeeper, and the ball rolled harmlessly over the line. Another corner fell to Everton, chiefly as the result of smart work by the left wing, Elston creating a favourable impression. A swift shot from Sheridan went over the bar, while a moment later Dilly was at fault. The Rangers indulged in some pretty short passing, but their shooting was faulty, and altogether the play was tame and generally in favor of the Rangers who by no means over exerted themselves. Hamilton headed a nice centre from Bennie into goal from short range, but Kitchen was on the alert and saved his charge. More smart play by Elston resulted in a corner, but from the corner flag the Liverpool Leek representative placed the ball behind. The Rangers continued to have the bulk of the play, but at half-time neither side had scored.

In the second half, which was witnessed by some 9,000 people, the Rangers opened strongly, and Kitchen saved grandly from Hamilton. Then Everton broke away, and Dilly scored a capital goal. This had the effect of enlivening the game, and a miskick by Clark left in Hamilton, who cleverly equalised. A really beautiful shot from A.Smith placed the Rangers ahead. The visitors for the most part toyed with their opponents, and might easily have added to their score. However, towards the close Everton put on pressure, and Dickie saved cleverly from Lawrence, while Elston narrowly missed the mark. However, the end arrived with Everton beaten. Final result Glasgow Rangers 2, Everton 1.

December 29, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
With a re-arranged side Bolton wanderers appeared at Goodison-park on Saturday in the return engagement with Everton. On the home side changes had also to be made. On the Everton side Balmer was absent owing to illness, and in his place Wolstenholme appeared, while Taylor resumed his old place, and Sheridan was brought in as inside right. The weather was beautifully fine, but there was not a large “gate” when the game was commenced. The teams were: - Everton: - Whitley goal, Wolstenholme, and Crelly, backs, Taylor Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Sheridan, Brearley, Settle, and Rankin, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Thompson, goal, Ostick, and Struther, backs. Greenhalgh, Hanson, and Boyd, half-backs, Bell, White, McKee, Strang, and Wright, forwards. The visitors kicked off with the sun in their faces. In the early stages Taylor was endeavoring to headed the ball when his cranium came in contact with an opponent's foot, and the game was stopped for a little while. Then Everton pressed vigorously and Thompson stopped a good shot by Sheridan. A centre by Sharp resulted in a corner, from which there was a bully in the goalmouth, the ball eventually being kicked away. The Wanderers could not get over the half-way line, and after smart lackling by Abbott, that player sent in a terrific shot, which just went over the crossbar. A sudden breakaway by the Trotters yielded an abortive corner and Everton were again aggressive, though their efforts were not very dangerous, Settle on one occasion being greatly at fault with his marksmanship. The game continued to favour Everton until, suddenly, the Wanderers halves became prominent. McKee out-maneuvered Crelly and, passing to Bell, that player centred cleverly, and McKee banged the ball past Whitley, who had no chance of saving. This was by no means in accordance with the expectations of the spectators, who, however, applauded the efforts of the visitors. The reverse seemed to rouse the Evertonians to greater exertions, and only a few minutes had elapsed when, after Struthers was penalised for tipping Rankin, the ball was nicely placed in the goalmouth by Abbott, with the result that Sheridan headed the equalising goal. The Everton forwards were smarter on the ball than their opponents. Another miskick by Crelly boded danger but this time the ball was passed too far, and Whitley running out of his goal kicked clear. For some time the visiting left wing were very lively, and Wolstenholme and Taylor had all they could do to keep them out. Bell, too, was a conspicuous figure, and more than once held Crelly in difficulties. At this stage the Wanderers were fully holding their own. Then Sharp dashed off on his own, and centred brilliantly, Settle however, shooting wildly over the bar. In a twinkling play was at the other end, and the downfall of the Everton goal appeared imminent, Strang. With a practically open goal, missing a glorious chance. The Wanderers were playing a remarkably, good game, their form at this period not being suggestive of what might be expected from a club that had not won a match during the season. Taylor left the field evidently to have his injury attended to. In spite of his absence the Evertonians carried the ball into their opponents quarters, but Thompson had little to do. Sherdian dashed off, and was going straight for goal when Ostick, but the referee awarded a free kick outside the limits for a previous infringement brought him down within the prescribed area. With Taylor back Everton asserted themselves, and Rankin headed over when right under the bar. Settle also missed a nice opening, while Thompson cleverly negotiated a capital attempt by Sharp at the expense of a fruitless corner. Settle followed with one of his shots. Both ends were visited. Once nice passing between Settle and Brearley gave a beautiful chance to Taylor, who with an open goal lifted the ball high over the bar. Half-time Everton 1 goal, Bolton Wanderers 1. Those who expected a runaway victory for Everton must have been surprised at the game played by the “despised” Wanderers. They had quite as much of the play as Everton and indeed were more dangerous in front of goal. There would be fully 14,000 spectators present when the game was resumed. It was noticed that Taylor and Wolstenholme had charged places. The Wanderers first pressed, but without troubling Whitley. Everton kept their position in the Wanderers half for some time, but the visiting defenders were most tenacious. Gradually the “Trotters” removed the scene of operations and White had a rare chance. Instead of shooting he dribbled the ball over the line and the opportunity was gone. Sharp was getting away on his own, when he was badly tripped by Struthers and the resultant free kick led to a vigorous onslaught on Thompson charge, which had a narrow escape of being captured. Free kick were pretty plentiful, and the quality of the football suffered in consequence, the exhibition being by no means exhilarating. At last Booth was the medium of giving an opening to Sharp, who raced between the backs and finished by planting the ball in the net, quite out of Thompson's reach. This success was received with deafening applause. Struthers again tripped Sharp and was booted by the crowd, Sheridan scored a third goal ten minutes from the finish, and Everton monoplised the play until the end. Final result, Everton 3, Bolton Wanderers 1.

December 29, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination (Game 17)
At Burnden Park. In the first half the home team played against the wind, Knowles succeeded in beating Kitchen. Boardman equalised, and at the interval the game was 1 goal each. Both sides showed plenty of vigour and Kitchen was severely tested by a shot from a forward and Wolfe and Boardman added goals, and Everton winning by 3 goals to 1.

December 29, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
After a very moderate display of football, in which the vanquished quite as capable tactics as the victors, the unfortunate Wanderers of Bolton were beaten for the second time within three days in Liverpool. Neither at Anfield on Christmas Day, nor at Goodison Park, two days later did the Bolton team deserve to be overthrown by such decisive margins as did actually occur, for up to a certain point they were equal in ability to their opponents, but could not make the most of their chances near goal. Against Everton, the Wanderers team was completely re-arranged from that which had been trounced at Sheffield the previous day, while owing to the indisposition of Blamer, and the injury to Henderson, Everton had to reorganise their rear division. The Wanderers were the first to score a capital centre from Bell who easily rounded Crelly, being prettily headed into the net by McKee. Their exuberance was however, but short lived, for five minutes later Sheridan similarly beat Thompson from a free kick well placed by Abbott. Strang, who was presented with an open goal, what time Whitley had been drawn out with the Bolton right wing, made a bad blunder, and a glorious chance was allowed to pass inheeded. But the visitors did not despair, and had quite as much of the play at the home side, Whitley saving splendidly from bell, at close quarters. At the interval the teams were even and curiously enough, this had been the state of affairs at Anfield also. The second moiety destroyed every hope that the Wanderers would gain a victory this year-their first of the season-for Sharp managed to get round Struthers, and racing close in placed his side ahead. Misfortune, as usual began to dog the steps of the Wanderers, for in a tussle near Whitley during which the Everton gaol marvellously escaped capture, White was injured, and was useless for the rest of the afternoon. Sheridan placed the issue which had been hanging in the balance for some time, beyond doubt by scoring the third goal, and thus the Wanderers ended the first half of their League campaign as they had began it, without a solitary victory to their credit, and thereby hange a record, which must require some beating.

Everton's performance was not indicative of much merit, and the half-backs practically saved the situation. The forwards were ragged in their movements, and the most disappointing player in the whole line was Settle, whose performance can be most aptly described as being of a decidedly holiday character. One consequence of his weakness was that Rankin obtained but few opportunities of demonstrating his ability, and the left wing was comparatively a useless appendage to the team. Near goal, the inside player was more remiss than in midfield, and the harmonious working of the front line was thus entirely destroyed. Brearley shaped fairly well in the centre, and Sheridan infused any amount of energy into his work. While Sharp when he could steer clear of the deliberate and often-repeated fouls of Struthers was always dangerous. So persistently did the full back- himself a Liverpool youth-adopt illegal methods to check the speedy right wings that Referee Campbell had to caution him, and whilst not desiring to condone the determined attempt of Sharp a few minutes later to repay his opponent his charge with interest, there was no doubt that the Everton player's patience had become exhausted by the continued hacking be received. There was little about the play of the forwards as a body to excite enthusiasm, and it was only at rare interval that a more than moderate standard was reached. The half-backs, as already stated, were seen to greater advantage, but much of their efficiency was neutralised by the unsatisfactory manner in which the forwards replied to their efforts. The trio were, as a matter of fact, placed between two feeble lines, for they had an even weaker division behind them than in front. The absence of Balmer was severely felt and in the early stages Crelly was beaten with consummate ease by the Bell, who rounded him just when he felt inclined, without apparent difficulty. This part of the team was decidedly mediocre in ability, their tackling being exceedingly weak and their returns by no means well timed or vigorous. Whitley kept goal unfairly good style, but on one or two occasions allowed his zeal to outrun his discretion. Of his earnest intentions there could be no doubt, but it will be necessary in facing a more incisive set of attackers to develop the latter equality. Bolton played surprisingly well considering their hopeless position in the League, but their incessant run of ill fortune must have taken all the heart out of them. Their forwards displayed good combination at times, Bell and Wright being the most conspicuous, though McKee accomplished a vast amount of hard work in the centre. Their halves were only moderate, but the backs kicked sturdily Ostick being the better of the pair for Struthers spoiled his play by resorting to illegal methods of bringing up an opponent. Thompson kept a good goal and really on comparing the team, division by division it is difficult to see where Everton's superiority to the extent of three goals to one, existed. The holiday fare at Goodison Park has been of a decidedly poor character, for the reserves eleven was beaten for the first time at home this season in a combination match, while on Boxing Day, Glasgow Rangers took pity on a wonderful combination which the Everton directors thought fit to place on the field, and were satisfield in winning by a goal.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 29 December 1902
This League match at Goodison Park attrached 12,000 spectators. At the outset Everton pressed, but the Wanderers were the first to score, McKee converting Bell's centre. A moment later, following a free kick Sheridan equalised. Afterwards the Wanderers had as much of the play as Everton, but at the interval the score was one all. Play opened pretty even in the second half, until Sharp as the result of a clever individual effort, scored for Everton. During the absence of White, who was injured, Sheridan put on another goal for Everton, who now had by fare the best of play, and won easily by 3 goals to 1.

Marshall McEwan
Nottingham Evening Post - Tuesday 30 December 1902
As the result of the Christmas visit of Mr. W. C. Cuff, the secretary of the Everton Football Club, to the North, Marshall M'Ewan, of Glen Cairn, has signed for the Goodison Park Club. He is regarded the finest junior outside left in Scotland, and one of the best Scottish junior internationals. He is 19 years of age. 5ft. 9in. height, and approaching 11st, in weight. He is a smart dribbler, a splendid man in combination, and a grand shot at goal. On New Year's Dayhe will figure on trial with the Everton second team, and may appear in the ranks of the premier eleven on Saturday next or the Saturday following. It is known that the Everton Club is looking out for new blood, and no doubt the capture M'Ewan is only the first of several to follow.

December 30, 1902. The Liverpool Courier
The directors of the Everton Football club are on the look out for new talent, to strengthen their team. Mr.W.C.Cuff the secretary, who spent Saturday watching over a player and been successful on a new outside left, Marshall McEwan of Rutherglen. McEwan is described as one of the best Scottish junior internationals. He is only 19 years of age, and has played for Rutherglen as an amateur; he has now appended his signature to a professional form at Everton. Be side's being a smart dribbler, he centres well, while on the run and is also said to be a fine shoot on goal.







December 1902