Everton Independent Research Data


Saturday 8 December 1906 Hastings and St. Leonards Observer
George Molyneux, the captain, Southend United's left back, was born at Liverpool in 1876, and before going to Southampton played for Everton. He gained his first International cap against Scotland in April, 1902. He had the honour of playing for England against Wales, Ireland and Scotland in 1903. He is a back who knows no fear and one of high standing in the professional ranks.

December 15, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
Whether under the name of Small Heath or Birmingham, Saturday's visitors to Goodison-Park have little cause for congratulation respecting their League engagements with Everton in this city. True, last Season they surprised the Blues, gaining the victory by two goals to one, but that had been their only success in six matches. Moreover, Everton's goal record was 17 to 4, a striking proof of the cupholders' superiority. Last year's defeat rankled in the minds of the Evertonians, and the reverse sustained on Wearside was a further incentive to them to do their utmost to please the vast army of loyal supporters of the club. So far as the result of the match-three goals to nil in favour of Everton –was concerned, the object was satisfactorily accomplished, but the general standard of play fell short of what was expected. However, goals and points are the things, which count in League football, and if Everton continue in a winning vein they will easily be forgiven if now and then their exhibitions are not of the class of which we know the players are capable.

Apart from a troublesome wind, it was an almost ideal day for football –cold enough to induce the players to give of their but, and not too chilly for the spectators. Winning the toss, Birmingham started as if they meant to repeat their solitary victory at Goodison-park. There was a method in their play, which was suggestive of danger, but happily for Everton, much good work in midfield was thrown away when near the goalmouth. The home defenders, however, soon showed that they did not intend to have their colours lowered without a great struggle, and gradually the Everton attack were seen to better advantage. At the same time the general run of the play was disappointing. Now and again Sharp run along the wing in fine style and the left pair indulged in pretty movements, but it was evident that the line as a whole was come what of gear. Doubtless this was largely due to the energy of the Birmingham halves, who were to be congratulated upon their successful policy of breaking up all efforts at combination on the part of the Everton vanguard. Just when it appeared probable that the interval would arrive without a goal, Young managed to thread his way through all opposition and to net the ball with Robinson in a helpless position, it was this stimulus of a goal which probably occupied for the improvement in play during the second half. The pace was faster and the exciting incidents of more frequent occurrence. For some offence which was not apparent to these locking on from a distance, Wigmore was penalised within the dreaded area, and Sharp by- the way he scored from a penalty kick in the inter-League match with Ireland –experienced no difficulty in placing the penalty kick , and Everton further ahead. Shortly before this Green had missed a glorious chance of equalising, but he shot straight at Scott who was deservedly applauded for a fine save. The visiting side, even when two goals behind, did not give up, but it was all over with them when, after Robinson had partially stopped a stinging shot from Sharp, the Everton centre (Young) dashed up and scored a third goal.

Everton's exhibition was scarcely value for a win by three clear goals. It was not their fault, however, if the opposing quintette failed to turn to account clever midfield play. No fault could be found either with Scott of the brothers Balmer and once again Taylor was the most conspicuous in their half-back line. Makepeace on his reappearance was responsible, for many neat touches, but either he tired or his injured leg gave away somewhat in the closing stages of the game. Abbott was always a worker, and he had a smart couple of forwards to contend with in Anderson and Green. As to the Everton front line, while at times distinguished themselves, they rarely managed to get into the swing which characteristise their efforts when at their best. Bolton perhaps was the most contestants, and on Saturday's form it is difficult to see how he can superseded. Sharp's rare turn of speed enabled him more than once to show a clean pair of heels to Stokes and the third goal was really due to great efforts on his part. While Young was a satisfactory, Settle, was judicious, albeit a trifle slow, but Wilson was not as successful as usual in centring the ball. Birmingham appear to have unearth a likely outside left in Southall, who on a first appearance gave signs of considerable promise. Glover played a great game at right back, while Wigmore, though he gave a penalty away, (Fouling Settle) was a most efficient defender. Teams. Everton: - Scott goal, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer, backs Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Bolton, Young, Settle, and G. Wilson, forwards. Birmingham City: - Robinson, goal, Glover, and Stokes, Beer, and Wigmore, half-backs, Dougherty, Tickle, Green, Glover, Jones, and Southall, forwards. Referee Mr. John.

December 3, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 13)
As the result of Everton victory at Darwen and the defeat of Oldham Athletic the Goodison-park men now hold pride of place in the competition. Their record is indeed an excellent one, and it has been earned by sound consistent football. The Everton club has turned out some capable combination team, but the present side is equal to the Reserves eleven the club has possessed the victory over Darwen was thoroughly well deserved for Everton, were full value for their three goal victory. Crelly and the latter Strettell strengthened the defence and Sloan formed an effectual barrier to the Darwen forwards. Then Rouse was at inside right, and got through much excellent work. As a result the forwards were both fast and tricky, and but for good goalkeeping by Lill, the home side would have been soundly beaten. Jones, the Everton centre, added to his crop of goals by scoring in each half, while Rouse added the third. It is worthy of note that Jones has now scored 18 goals in combination matches. Darwen made a good fight against odds but they were no match for their visitors, who have now a splendid chance of securing championship honours once more. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettall, and Crelly, backs, Black, Chadwick, and Donaldson half-backs, Donnachie, Rouse, Jones, D. Wilson, and Butler, forwards.

December 10, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
As was anticipated Everton strengthened their position at the head of the League table on Saturday. What is more, they are now have a clear lead of a point to Sheffield Wednesday. This is not much Derby County were Everton sixth successive victims at Goodison-park, and it is worthy of note that while a dozen points have been gathered in, only two goals have been given away. These were obtained by Sheffield United, who, however, had four put up against them, to the six games Everton have credited themselves with 16 goals to 2, which is something like championship form.

Saturday's game was played in wet and miserable weather, and it was not surprising that the attendance was the lowest which has been seen at a League encounter at Goodison-park this season. Probably the unfavourable conditions affected the standard of the play. It was by no means a great game, and what is more Everton's two goals victory was obtained against ten men. The chances are that even if Ransford had remained on the field the whole ninety minutes, instead of being compelled to retire before the interval, the cupholders would still have proved successful. The fact remains that when both sides were at full strength Everton failed to score. The Derby representatives made a brave show against their formidable rivals. The home forwards had the more chances and the better of the play, but they were met by a stubborn defence, and the nippiness of the visiting attack might easily have proved dangerous, if excellence in midfield had not been nullified by lamentable when within reasonable distance of the goal. It was about ten minutes before the interval when Ransford was injured in a collison with W. Balmer just after he had lifted the ball tamely over the bar. Despite the loss of their pivot, the Derby players worked with commendable spirit, and did not even even adopt the one back game –at least until near the end. But class and numbers were bound to tell, and the result was a goal to their credit of Wilson. It was beautifully worked for, Sharp took the ball down nicely and crossed Wilson receiving and scoring with a grand shot, which Maskery could scarcely have dealt with even if he had not been momentarily unsighted by Morris. This success led to severe bombardment of the Derby goal, which had several narrow escapes, especially once when Abbott banged the ball against the upright and Morris cleared the rebound. Still Derby came near equalising, but the issue was definitely set at rest, when in the semi-darkness the ball was rushed into the net. It was impossible to see from the heights of the press-box, how it happened (Young), and the referee had some doubts for he consulted one of the linesmen before allowing the point.

Whatever chance Derby County might have had of reversing last season's verdict was gone when they lost the services of their dashing centre forward, Ransford, it upset their attack, although not to as great an extent as might have been expected. On the slippery ground the Evertonians played a pretty and correct football, and the fault –due no doubt to the bad foothold , it was in the all-important matter of shooting. For all that Maskery will admit that he had a particularly warm time of it. The outside men Sharp, and Hardman provided numerous openings for their colleagues which were not availed of an satisfactorily as once could have wished. Young had not his day out, but he was not the only failure, when it came to shooting. Both Wilson and Bolton got through a great deal of work with credit to themselves. The halves were in rare trim, but the brothers were scarcely as reliable as usual. Scott once more boasted of an unbeaten certificate. The feature of Derby's display was the brave defence of Maskery and his back. Morris being a tower of strength. Warren was not in international form, and the forwards had little notion of where the goal lay. Teams : - Everton: - Scott, goals, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Bolton, Young, G. Wilson, and Hardman, forwards. Derby County: - Maskery, goal, Nicholas, and Morris, backs, Warren, Hall, and A. Wood, half-back, J.W. Davies, Ransford, J. Wood, and G. Davies, forwards. Referee F. Gardiner.

December 10, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 14)
It is seldom indeed that a club losses at home by eight goals to nothing, but this was the outcome of the meeting of Nelson and Everton Combination. But even this extraordinary result was not so remarkable, at the performance of Jones, Everton centre-forward, to whose goal-scoring abilities reference was made in these note's a week ago. Jones had the reputation of being a successful shot, but his feat of putting on no fewer then seven goals in one game will probably stand as a record in a match were points were at stake. The ex-Prescot player- who last week attained his majority –put on the first two goals, while Wright scored the third. Everton leading at the interval by three clear goals. In the second half Jones added goal after goal with remarkable regularity until he had added five more to his account. He showed a rare turn of speed and splendid shooting abilities, and has evidently a liking to East Lancashire , has he obtained a hat-trick against Blackburn Rovers a couple of weeks ago. The performance is not a record one in Association football, however, for Earns of Tottenham help himself to seven against the Northern Nomads. With Jones in such form on Saturday the other Everton forwards gave him every opportunity while the defenders had an easy time. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettall, and Crelly, backs, Black, Booth, and Chadwick, half-backs, Donnachie, Rouse, Jones, D. Wilson, and Butler, forwards.

" White-Washed" Professionals.
Dundee Evening Telegraph - Monday 17 December 1906
Richard Boyle
The Scottish Football Association " whitewash" professionals twice every year. The list of 43 names just issued includes large number of local players, who have been reinstated as amateurs. Prominent amongst the lot is R. H- Boyle, who after brilliant career with Dumbarton, Everton, and Dundee, retires from professionalism. " Dickie" can hardly even yet said to be done, and the suggestion has been made that in view of the long association has had with Muir, Liverpool as well Dundee, might be included in the Dundee team play against Aberdeen on 2d January for Muir's benefit. Boyle has many friends in the city who would like to see him honored with place in the team on that occasion.

December 17, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
The Arsenal's match with Everton is regarded as one of the tit-bits of the season at Woolwich, and on Saturday the Arsenal brought off an unexpected victory over the cupholders by 3 goals to one. Both clubs were able to place practically their best sides in the field, but as an exhibition of high class football the game was somewhat spoiled by the thick fog for which hung over the ground, so much so that at times it was impossible to get across the field, let alone follow the play. Generality speaking it was a most interesting game that 15,000 people witnessed. The Arsenal have been disappointing their friends in their last few matches, but after their display in the opening half against the Everton men, there is little doubt that they gave their best display this season. There was one period in the match when they were brilliant, in the space of ten minutes they registered all their three goals, which remained one of some of their work when they were in the second Division, and were named the famous “Whirlwainds.” Everton put up a great fight, but on the run of the play they were beaten by a better team, so far as accepting opportunities is concerned. There might have been a different tale to tell it Everton had shot with the same accuracy as the homesters. This was especially noticeable in the first ten minutes of the second half, when they put in some desperate attacking movements, but somehow they could not direct their shots at the target, and Ashcroft was seldom called upon to negotiate anything very difficult.

All the goals were scored in the opening half, and the first was obtained after ten minutes play. The Arsenal forwards had been combining very prettily, and after Garbutt and Coleman had executed a grand run the former centred to Scatterwaite, who aiming in a swift low shot, flashed the ball past Scott, without any hesitation. A few minutes later Kyle was responsible for a second goal. Taking up a forward pass from McEnchrane, sent the ball nicely into the corner of the net. The crowd had hardly got over this unexpected success, before Coleman responded with a third goal, and this point was the result of some splendid combined play. Scatterwaite commenced the movement, and after nearly all the forwards had a hand in working the ball down, Neane sent across a nice centre. Little Coleman pounced on this, and getting within about five yards of the Everton goal easily beat Scott, who appeared to stand helpless. All this happened in the first twenty minutes of the game, and everyone were preparing for the interval, when Sands brought down either Rouse of Young rather badly in the penalty area, Mr. Barker, the referee pointed for a penalty kick , and Sharp came up and scored with a shot which Ashcroft could hardly have seen, so the Arsenal crossed over on good terms with themselves, and with a confident lead of a couple of goals. . As already mentioned Everton commenced the second portion in promising style, but they failed to sustain their attacks, and the game was not nearly so exciting as in the early stages. There was one exciting incident, however, and it happened this way, Scatterwaite dispatched a scoring shot towards the Everton goal, which struck W. Balmer, and Neare obtained possession, scored. The referee at once pointed to the centre for a goal, but it was noticed that one of the linesman was furiously waving his flag, and most of the Everton men were appealing and as a result Mr. Baker consulted his men on the line, and finally disallowed the point for what presumably must have been a foul by one of the Arsenal forwards.

Everton are usually a little too good for the Arsenal, but in the game under notice they did not play such attractive football as in previous visits. The forwards were disappointing. With the exception of Sharp's lighting runs, there was nothing particularly smart in their attacks, but the vigorous methods of Sands upset Young a trifle, and consequently the other forwards had to suffer. There was no fault to find the defence, and throughout the game Scoot kept a good goal although beaten three times. The Brothers Balmer compared fabvourably with the Arsenal backs, but Roberts showed just a shade more dash and resource. The next useful part of the team appeared to be the half-backs, Makepeace, Taylor, and Abbott had a very nippy lot of forwards opposing them, but they came off the field with the highest honours, and Abbott was particularly brilliant. Taylor, for an old hand did some most effective work, and was always in the thick of the fight. As a winger Wilson was not so good as Sharp. Rouse and Settle were occasionally prominent but they wanted too many openings made for them. Crossing to the Arsenal, Ashcroft as usual accomplished some smart work under the bar, and Sharpe was the best back on the field. Gray did fairly well but he was inclined to be slow in his movements. The halves played in something like their old form, and gave their forwards splendid opportunities. Garbutt and Coleman were the strongest wing, but it is hardly necessary to individualize any single member of the attack, which had one of its best days. Teams: - Arsenal: - Ashcroft, goal, Gray and Sharp, backs Byden, Sands, and Enenchrane, half-backs, Garbutt, Coleman, Kylie, Scatterwaite, and Neare, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and W. Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Rouse, Young, Settle and G. Wilson, forwards. Referee Baker.

December 17 1906. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Comination Division One (Game 15)
The contest at Goodison-park was one of the finest and hardest fought game which have been seen this season and it was hard indeed on Oldham Athletic that, after putting up such a good fight they should be beaten in the last minute by the only goal of the match. When operations commenced Oldham at once took up the running, but Stevenson cleared, and after a period of midfield play, during which both sets of halves put in some telling work. Donnachie made tracks for Daws charge and then ensued a series of corners, no fewer than a half a dozen being forced, without any tangible result. Play veered to the opposite end, and where J. Walders was prominent with some good runs, and centres and the Everton goal had a very narrow escape. Hancock when right in front of Sloan hitting the upright with a fast shot. Butler and Cooke also kept Hudson on the alert, but the interval arrived without any score. The second half was as fiercely contested as the opening period. Play was of an exciting nature, but try as they would, neither set of forwards could get in a decent shot, and the game was shaping all over as a goalless draw, when Donnachie made a great effort. Receiving from Booth, he raced through all opposition, and sent in a correct centre. The ball came out of the ruck again, and Donnachie put it back, when Jones – it seemed so in the darkness –put the ball past Daw, the custodian being helpless. There was only one minute to play, and during that period the Oldhamites made a desperate rally, but they failed to equalise, and Everton thus proved victors by one goal to nil. The game was particularity noticeable by reason of the few shots the goalkeeper had to deal with, the only scoring attempts being practically rushed through. The winners played a grand game, Sloan had nothing to do, while Strettell kept up his form. Stevenson though opening badly, improving later. Booth was the pick of the thrice-fine halves, his breaking-up of the opposing combination being a feature. The whole of the forwards did good work. Butler gave a capital display, as did Donnachie, while the inside men worked hard to achieve a win over their doughy opponents. The Athletic certainly deserved to draw. Daw was safe, while Leigh played a good game. Hodson having more than he could manage in Butler and Cooke. Wilson was the most successful half while among the forwards J. Walders, Shadbolt, and Handcock were the best of a splendid line, their only fault being their inability to take advantage of what chances came their way to beat Sloan. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettell, and Stevenson, backs, Black, Booth, and Chadwick, half-backs, Donnachie, Graham Jones Cooke, and Butler forwards.

December 23, 1906. The Liverpool Football Echo
We hear a deal about the “good old days” when Latta, Brady, Geary were in their prime don't we? And it is questionable and certainly a matter of great argument whether the present-time footballer gives to the public as attractive a game as did the old time warriors. But there is one thing in which the younger generation cannot approach the veterans. That is, experiences. Get with a man who played ten or fifteen years ago and you will enjoy his talk of the good old days. Mine is a bad memory for either good or bad yarns but never shall I forgot the experience of some Liverpool (Everton) players one season when Nottingham was visited and the County were the opponents. It is a curious chapter of coincidence and I feel sure it will interest you. Everton were due to play County and, you know, the Nottingham cricket and football teams at that period were in their prime. The Mersey people looked upon this match with fear and trembling. There was no reasonable hope that they would win or draw. Two of their players Edgar Chadwick among the pair; used to live out of Liverpool, and when a journey to the ground of the opponents was necessary Chadwick and his fellow player would meet the team at some favourable junction and travel thence to the ground with the remainder of the players. Mr. Ramsey , the present Liverpool F.C. director, was one of the officials who accompanied the team, and he, as the rest of the party expressed surprise that Chadwick and his friend were not at the half-way station as expected and promised. What could have happened? Inquirers were quickly busy. All their efforts were without result, and the remaining portion of the journey to Nottingham was spent in wonderment. Where could the two players have got to. In those days “reserves” were almost unknown –at any rate the finances of football did not approach the princely present day height –and this occasion there was only one additional playing member with the team, and he was useless, became he had broken his arm and was in reality asked to accompany the team for the outing, and not with a view to playing. Arrived at Nottingham the Liverpool party went to their “hotel” a local licensed house, and the first request was for a timetable. It was hoped that the worst was that the missing players had been late and missed the train; further, that there would be an express train which would carry them to Nottingham in time for the kick-off. The landlord got to know the predicament the visitors were in and sympathized with them promsely. He fared that they would have to play with nine men and wished then the best of luck. The time table showed all too plainly that the late players would, with a bit of luck – making it for granted that they were going to make the journey –arrive in Nottingham at about half-time. Two things was ordered. First a cab; this was at the station ready to meet the next train, from Liverpool way, Second order; An order to the players to take their leisure in dressing, and to drive the longest way round, to the ground, in order that the kick-off might be delayed as long as possible. In that time the governing football bodies were not as particular as they are now and if spectators arrived at the ground five or ten minutes later than the advertised time of kick-off they would be in ample time to see the opening of the game. The landlord of the public house went to the trouble to order the cab, the blinds of which were drawn down so that when the missing players did arrive they would be able to jump in, change their garb and go straight on to the field. But the pair were not in the second train, from the North! This was too much for Mr. Ramsey, who had stayed behind to meet the delinquents. Mr. Ramsey I fear was inclined to return home and leave the players and others to work out of their own end. However eventually he determined to go back to the public house and await the return of the team. A telegram awaited him! The reserve man had sent it. It read;-

“Everton 3, County 0”
Amazing score, thought Mr. Ramsey. Nine men and up at half time by such a wide margin. He could scarce believe the message. A feed and a smoke
and still no sign of the missing players. Hold! Another telegram. These were the magic words therein.
“Everton 6, County nil. Final.
Mr. Ramsey must have mused to himself, as did another man who had just come out of an operation; “Well, well, well! Isn't it marvelous” stupendous, remarkable; Mr. Ramsey told the landlord of the house that Everton had won 6-0. The landlord was flabbergasted. He doubted the genuinessess of the telegrams. At last the players returned to headquarters. Fred Geary was the first to enter. His director congratulated him on the excellent performance. “Oh” replied Fred; “Notts can't play football for nuts,” Fred Geary let me remind you, was born in Nottingham. The Landlord knew this –and that the result of the match had been truthfully told on the telegram –and he flew into a rage. It was bad enough to be beaten at home, but 6-0 was “badder,” and then to be insulted by saying Notts could not play football was “baddest.” The landlord had prepared for the visitors a fine meal, but his temper was boiling as well as the pork and pie and other tasty things. “Out you go; I won't have you in my house” he declared and frothing at the mouth, he told the party they should not eat off his tables. Poor Mr. Ramsey! Another pickle of the wrong kind. He argued with the landlord and told him he would be paid well for the meal; in fact, they insisted on him serving them. Better judgment prevailed and the party sat down and enjoyed a good mean. Ere, they left the house the landlord made apology for the conduct, and moreover confessed that finding the team was short of two of its members he slipped out the house and backed the County with £20 to win!

Can you wonder that the man turned pale when he saw that telegram? Can you wonder that he doubted the yesterday of the result? He had been sold horribly. What of the missing players? You were just asking doubtless. They were the cause of a most extraordinary misconception. Their train was late and missed the connection. This being so Edgar Chadwick with the air and apparent authority of a Prime Minister ordered the stationmaster to interview them. Edgar in common parlance, “could talk the leg off a chair.” He was capable enough of convincing the station master of many horrible consequences, if they were not carried to Nottingham in good time for the match. He pointed out that the club, the newspapers and others would take the matter up, until at last the railway official charactered a special engine and coach and the two players rode in state. Having reached Nottingham safely and in good time, they were met with a difficulty. They knew not where the players were staying and so had to get food in the nearest restaurant and proceed straight to the ground. What the landlord said when he found Everton had played a full team cannot be quoted here; and the liveliest imagination cannot, I fear, do that orator justice. I hope so, at any rate.

December 24, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
A series of misfortunes did not tend to inspire confidence in Sheffield Wednesday in their match with Everton at Goodison, and it was not surprising to find they had to return home defeated. In the first place they were without the services of their captain and crack centre half Crawshaw, who was laid up with illness. This in itself was a very serious loss to the visitors, for those who know Crawshaw's style of play will know how invaluable he is to his side. Then for a considerable portion of the first half they were deprived of the help of Ruddlesdin through an injury, which of course, brought about a weakened defence. It was rather hard on Ruddlesdin that he should be so unfortunate in this his first match since he was damaged during the game, in the early part of the season. But the Sheffielders made the best of it was not quite the form of the Wednesday which we have been accustomed to, and which has placed them in a position in the League tournament dangerously near that of Everton and Newcastle United. With the exception that Settle was unfit to play through indisposition, the Evertonians were at full strength, Harold Hardman again partnering George Wilson, a combination which apparently is one, of the most effective features of Everton' play at the present time.

The 18,000 spectators, if they did not witness one of the best expositions of football, yet were treated to a display, which had many flashes of good play and many interesting points. Under the circumstances of Sheffield's weakened constitution the Blues soon found they could hold their own without unduly exerting themselves or at any rate presenting themselves in the top of their form. There was indeed, evidence of a reserve power, which would have been there if actually wanted. The first quarter of an hour or twenty minutes was quite exhilarating –what with the exceedingly hot attentions of the home team and some remarkably fine goalkeeping on the part of Lyall. The first goal of the match –to Everton –came in five minutes from the start. Sharp crashing the ball through. Then followed a perfect fusillade in front of the Wednesday goal, and only a custodian of the fine calibre of Lyall could have saved the situation, as shots were rained in and about him by Wilson. Makepeace, Taylor, and Young, and all skillfully handled. The Sheffielders were having a very troublesome time, many corners having to be concerned to the aggressive Everton front line. The speedy and alert Hardman, ever, a thorn in the visitors' side, brought off a splendid run which enabled him, despite a foul on the part of Chapman, to place Young in possession, and that player easily turned the ball into the net. Two goals was certainly a substantial lead over a team of the reputation of Wednesday; and Everton were on good terms with themselves. Occasionally Simpson and Stewart, on the left, raced away, and looked like scoring, but they finished up badly, being harassed by the close attentions of the home defence, which was very sound. At times too, the visitors were not very particular as to their methods, and they were rather frequently penalised about this stag. To show the one-sided character of the first half, Scott was only once called upon, and that was when Layton, the full back sent in a long shot. The play after crossing over was less interesting, and attractive, both sides slackening off comparatively. Later on the Blades roused themselves to action, by which time Ruddlesdin had resumed. Scott had here to responded to his busiest part of the afternoon, and all efforts of the visitors were unavailing.

Like their opponents, the Goodison brigade considering the chances they had, did not prove themselves good shootists. True, there were some rattling shots which almost took one;s breath away, but others were wide of the mark. Never once, however, did they lose their power of holding the visitors in check, and altogether were far the better side. The combination in the earlier part of the game was very pretty to witness. Hardman and George Wilson were in rare form, thoroughly understanding each other. They frequently outwitted the opposition, Layton having an uncomfortable time. One or two dashing runs of theirs, in the second half quite non-plussed that full back, the crowd being delighted at these smart pieces of work. Sharp and Bolton were very effective on the other wing, the cricketer perhaps not being so persistently brilliant as we sometimes see him. Young was always in the thick if it, and considering that he was so well watched he may he said to have got through a lot of work, being exceptionally tricky at times. The defence was very safe, and Scott, though he had not much to do. Preformed very creditably.

On the losing side, Simpson and Stewart were the most prominent and useful, the bulk of the danger being threatened by them. They got along at a good pace, and displayed neat footwork. The centre, played with any amount of dash, and his weights told on several occasions. The fault of the attack was that they did not always follow up their chances with that persistency which often results in success. Brittleton operated well at centre half, but the two backs were only mediocre; in fact Burton gave a poor display, added to which he was guilty of occasional unfair tactics.

Teams : - Everton: - Scott, goals, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer backs Makepeace, Captain (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Bolton, Young, G. Wilson, and Hardman fiorwards. Sheffield Wednesday: - Lyall, goal, Layton, and Burton, backs, Ruddledin, Brittleton, and Bartlett, half-backs Tummins, Chapman, Wilson Stewart, and Simpson, forwards. Referee C. Fallowfield .

December 26, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
This match was played yesterday at Gigg-lane, Bury, in the presence of some 15,000 spectators. The ground was hard owing to the frost, but otherwise the conditions were ideal. The teams lined up as follows : - Everton: - Scott, goal, W. Balmer and R. Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Bolton, Young, Settle, and G. Wilson, forwards. Bury: - Raeside, goal, Chorlton, and Leeming, backs, Lindsay, Dewhurst, and Davidson, half-backs Gilden Hibbert, Bevan, Kay, and Hodgkinson, forwards. Everton won the toss, and Bevan kicked off prompt no time. The home side at once made for goal, and Bevan was penalised for fouling Scott. Continuing top press, Hodgkinson, when in a good position, put tamely behind. The Toffee men now asserted themselves, and Sharp was applauded for some clever work. In a melee Bevan was hurt, but was able to resume after receiving attention from the trainer. A mistake by R. Balmer nearly ended disastrously, Hodgkinson missing by inches only. From the goal kick Wilson raced down and forced an abortive corner. Continuing to press, Sharp and Settle were prominent, but their efforts came to nought, and the Shakers coming along in good style, Dewhurst tried a long shot, which Scott cleared. The Bury forwards made the most of their opportunities, and shot whenever they got near goal. The Everton forwards later tumbled to this kind of play, and adopted somewhat similar tactics, Sharp on one occasion putting in a stringing shot, which took Raeside all his time to get rid of. One promising move by Settle and Wilson was spoiled by Dewhurst, and R. Balmer was badly beaten by Gilden, but luckily his brother came to the rescue with a hugh punt. A foul on Young close in gave the Evertonians a chance, but Bolton allowed the ball to roll over the line, Sharp a moment later being guilty of the same fault. He, however, made amends by putting in a perfect centre, which both Young and Bolton were too slow to reach. A splendid bout of passing between the whole of the Bury forwards resulted in Glides shooting into Scott; s hands, Wilson spoiled a good move of the visitors by getting offside. Sharp was displaying good form, and well fed by the inside men proved a thorn in the sides of both Davidson and Leeming. Hibbert was going through when W. Balmer robbed him, the home team vigorously appealing for a penalty. Gilden was a bit too strong for the younger Balmer, and tricking him neatly passed across to Kay, who, with an open goal, made no mistake tipping the ball into the net, and thus registering Bury's first goal. Stung by this reverse, the Blues made a raid on the home goal, and Sharp with only Raeside in front of him Mulled his chance by putting over. Abbott was evidently becoming disgusted with the inability of his forwards to score, and had a couple of shots from long range. The second of these was a magnificent attempts, beating Raeside to the world, but unluckily striking the crossbar and rebounding into play. Taylor also tried a long pot, which Raeside only just managed to clear. Wilson on several occasions spoiled chances by getting offside. Young, improved, and opened the game out beautifully for his wingmen. Hibbert badly fouled Scott, and was penalised. The foul evidently annoyed the visiting custodian, who looked like striking Hibbert, but happily refrained. Lindsay handled in the penalty area, but unfortunately to the visitors, the referee did not see the infringement, and took no notice of their appeal. The game continued, to be a ding dong one. The ball travelling from end to end. The Toffee men, however, when near goal were not so dangerous as the Bury forwards, who shot every time they got a chance. All the Everton halves were in good fettle and a pretty sequence of passing between Abbott and Taylor resulted in the latter shooting just wide. Right on half-time the Everton men went for goal, and efforts by Wilson and Sharp fully extended Raeside. Half time came with the score – Bury 1 goal, Everton nil.

Upon the restart Everton attacked strongly, relief coming at last in the home team through Abbott shooting just over the bar, Bevan was once again in the wars, and the game was delayed for a few minutes until he recovered. From the throw up Hodgkinson had a chance, but his effort was hopelessly wide. Wilson executed a glorious run along the wing, but fell when about to shoot, and Leeming nipping in, cleared. The visitors were now making their presence felt, and one time Sharp looked certain to score, but preferred to centre instead of shooing. Bury took a turn, pressing severely for some time, but their shooting this half was woefully poor. Their forwards were presented with quite a large number of chances, by which they should certainly have augmented their score, but so poor were their efforts that Scott had never to handle. Everton getting tired of this broke away, and Taylor passing out to Sharp, that player, after tricking a couple of opponents, placed right in the goalmouth for Young to head through and thus equalising the scores. Following this Young, raced away and forced a corner, which Wilson placed behind. The same player soon afterwards raced through on his own, and when a few yards from goal, Dewhurst handled. The penalty kick was entrusted to Sharp, who made no mistake, placing the ball nicely in the corner of the net. After this Bury attacked, and only sterling defence on the part of the brothers Balmer prevented a score. Young got away from a throw-in, and despite being fouled put in a stinging shot, which Raeside was lucky to fist out. Leeming almost let Sharp in again, barely recovering himself in time to kick out. W. Balmer granted a corner, and Dewhurst put in a shot, which Scott fisted out, when it appeared to be going through. The save was a marvellous one, and evoked the hearty applause of all. As time was getting on the home team made the most determined efforts to score, the Everton defence time after time having all the work cut out to prevent Bury equalising. Right on time Young got through and looked all over a scorer, but his shot was a few inches wide, and full time came with the score –Bury 1, goal, Everton 2. Everton have now met and defeated every Lancashire League club.

December 26, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One. (Game 16)
With both Everton and Liverpool away from home, the Christmas Day attraction was the first meeting of the season of the reserves eleven's at Anfield. The game was particularly interesting by reason of the fact that both sides are making a capital fight for championship honours. The weather was fine and frosty, but the hard, and slippery ground made it rather difficult for the players to maintain a foothold. There was a splendid “gate” about 28,000 people being present. The teams were as follows: - Liverpool: - Doig, goal, Wilson, and Griffiths, backs, Hignetts, Gorman, and Hewitt, half-backs, McKenna, Carlin, Parkinson, Nugent, and Cox, forwards. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettell, and Crelly, backs, Black, Booth, and Chadwick half-backs Donnachie, Graham, Rose, Cooke, and Butler, forwards. Everton started, and Liverpool attacked, Sloan saving finely, from Parkinson, and clearing again in clever fashion from Cox following a corner to the Reds. Liverpool were very persistent, and Sloan had to repel half a dozen shots in almost as many minutes. At length Everton got away, but they failed to pass the backs. Having once gained a footing in the Liverpool half, however, Everton took some beating back, and a mistake by Wilson nearly led to a goal, Doig saving wonderfully well from Cooke. At the other end Carlin nearly got through on his own Strettell conceding a corner. From this Sloan saved from Hewitt and assisted by a free kick, Everton made progress, Chadwick sending wide from long range. Later Donnachie cleverly beat both Hewitt and Grifiths. Rouse shooting outside from his centre. Play was now of a more even character than in the earlier stages. Parkinson made a splendid effort, beating Strettell and running into goal, but Sloan with fine judgement ran out and caused the Liverpool centre to send outside. It was an exceedingly narrow escape for Everton, however, following end to end play, both Chadwick and Gorman shot over the bar, and then Butler, Cooke, and Chadwick by some pretty combination endanger the Liverpool goal, Griffiths however, clearing well. Soon afterwards Cooke was fouled close in, and from the penalty kick, Rouse scored for Everton with a terrific shot, the ball rebounding from the net almost to the foot of the kicker. Cooke was hurt and retired and Liverpool put on pressure Sloan saving finely. Cooke soon returned, and Wilson let in the visitors with a bad kick, Dig saved from Donnachie, but Rouse got hold and scored cleverly, thus putting Everton two up. Rouse soon afterwards was hurt, but quickly recovered, and Wilson fouled Cooke, just outside the penalty area, only Doig's cleverness preventing a goal as the outcome of the free kick. Liverpool then pressed, and from a good centre by Cox, Parkinson headed a capital goal for the Reds. Just before the interval Sloan once more saved well from a corner. Half-time Liverpool 1, Everton 2.

Liverpool put on pressure on resuming and forced a corner, which was placed behind Wilson got hurt in endeavouring to repulse an Everton attack, and the Liverpool goal had a narrow escape from Butler's centre. Later Doig had twice to fist away, Donnachie having dropped the ball well into the goalmouth. Wilson, who was very lame, now went off, and several free kicks were given against Liverpool, but Doig was very safe in goal. The Reds played one back and pressed. Strettell turning a shot from Mckenna over his own crossbar. Sloan saved from the corner, and Griffiths, running in, sent over. The Everton goal keeper soon afterwards saved beautifully from Parkinson at the expense of a fruitless corner, while Mckenna almost grazed the crossbar with a fine attempt. Chadwick and Carlin got at loggerheads, and clinched. The incident escaped the attention of the referee, and as the Everton man turned away Carlin hit him in the face. Chadwick retired, and the referee would have been justified had he sent Carlin off the field. Both sides were now a man short and played one back. Liverpool attacked hotly for a long time, and forced many corners, but Sloan kept goal grandly. Chadwick returned after about ten minutes absence and Butler made a grand run three-parts the length of the field. He centred well too, but Rouse failed to take the ball, and Griffiths cleared. Further corners to Liverpool were got away, and Strettell was hurt in a rush, but resumed. Everton put on pressure Doig saving from Donnachie, who later just missed with a fine shot. Doig saved luckily from Rouse, but cleared well from the ensuing corner. The Reds then took up the running, and Sloan saved finely from Nugent. At length Cox, who had gone inside left, equalised with a fine shot, and soon afterwards Carlin got hurt and had to receive attention. There was a keen struggle afterwards, but rather side could score, and a hard fought and very interesting game ended in a draw of two goals each.

December 27, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
The cupholders and League Leaders had another opportunity of adding to their laurels yesterday, when they played the return fixture with Manchester City. At Goodison-park early in the season the Blues had fairly trounced the Citizens, but they met a different team yesterday. Up to the interval it appeared as if the Blues would prevail, but in the second portion their hopes were dashed, and when the whistle blew for the final the visitors had been vanquished. Everton made a couple of changes from the eleven, which gained points on Christmas Day. Abbott was hurt, and as a consequence, Black played at right half. Forward the left wing was reconstructed. Settle was dropped and G. Wilson went inside to Hardman. The City also made changes, McQustra being dropped and Conlin crossing over, Steel coming in at left half. The ground at Hyde-road was snow covered, but a gang of men had cleared the pitch, leaving a while sloppy surface with a hugh bank of snow, the touchline. There was a good gate present, and the spectators were still arriving when the teams lined up in the following order: - Manchester City: - Smith, goal Kelso, and Norgrove, backs, Steel, Eadie, and Buchan, half-backs, Stewart, Dorsett, Thornley, Jones, and Conlin forwards. Everton: - Scott goal W. Balmer and R. Balmer, backs Makepeace, Taylor (Captain) and Black, half-backs Sharp, Bolton, Young, G. Wilson, and H. P. Hardman, forwards. Referee Fred Kirkham. There would be 15,000 people present when Thornley set the ball rolling for the City, The light was getting poor, the wintry sun rapidly declining, when the start was made full five minutes after the advertised time, The City were the first to make a move, Makepeace having kick into touch from Conlin, and then a free kick from the City was sent outside by Dorsett. The home left came again, and Dorsett tried his luck with a long shot, which went wide. It was soon evident that the slippery ground would prevent any decent football, the players slippery about in helpless fashion. The Blues asserted themselves, and Young getting possession called on Smith to handle for the first time. The Custodian cleared safely, and then the Evertonians came again on the left. The ball travelled harmlessly behind, Sharp and Bolton made play, and the latter got in a good centre, but there but there was no one there to meet it, and the leather travelled to Hardman. The little winger put in across again, despite the attentions of Kelso, but Steel cleared. Then the home forwards got off in promising fashion, and although Black and Taylor stopped Thornley, Jones, dashed up and headed in, Scott clearing safely. Thornley afterwards had a shot, but missed the mark by a yard. Lot Jones and Thornley were coming again, when they were pulled up for an infringement on the rules. This was nullified by a free kick for the city, and another followed just after, when the elder Balmer handled just outside, the penalty line. Dorsett took the kick, but tamely behind. Sharp and Bolton carried play to the other end, and the former centred, Black got possession, but his shot went side, and at the other end, Dorsett skied the ball when shooting from a difficult angle. A long centre from Conlin was the next feature, Scott easily catching the ball and punting away. Play rapidly changed ends, and Sandy Young receiving a pass from the right wing had a grand centre. He shot hard in at once, and Smith was beaten, but unluckily for Everton the ball struck the upright and rebounded into play. Norgrove clearing from his kick. The home left dashed off and as the result of a nice passing movement Lot Jones had a grand chance, but he slipped in the act of shooting, and fell on the board of his back, Balmer clearing with a kick into touch. This rapid change of ends with danger threatening every time, infused plenty of excitement into the game, which was played with intense eagerness, Sharp went off the field injured but he was back again in a few minutes. The City forced a corner on the left wing, but it was hardly placed, and was easily got away. A second corner followed, but Bolton cleared the lines. Still the Mancunians stuck to their work, and play was still in the Everton half, although the goal was not endangered at this stage. The Everton right were the means or changing the venue, but Hardman could not control the ball when Bolton crossed it over, and all he could do was to send it behind. Sandy Young and Makepeace were making progress again when the former was fouled by Steel. The free kick was worked away, but Sharp gave Young possession, and the centre managing to keep his feet with difficulty, shot hard in, but Smith saved comfortably. Wilson did his best to get going, but Kelso checked him. The Blues right wing came again in good style, and the ball was swung across to the other wing. Hardman sent the leather back again across the face of the goal, and Bolton nipping in, dashed in a fast low shot well out of Smith's reach. Everton therefore took the lead after 26 minutes play. This success for the visitors rather quietened the home spectators, who had been looking for some thing different. An attack by the Blues was spoiled through Wilson getting offside. He did good work a moment later in feeding Hardman, but the latter lost control of the leather. Eadie passed out to his left wing, but Makepeace stopped them, and play was in midfield for a spell. Eadie fouled Young, but the free kick came to nothing, Sharp putting behind. The game continued fast and exciting, and was much better than the conditions would appear to allow. The Blues had the best of i. Their movements were clever and method excellent combination, being shown throughout the eleven. An offside decision was given at each end. Makepeace and Thornley being the offenders, and no further incidents took place of note until Wilson cleverly give to Hardman, and travelling down, return, sent in a grand shot from long range which missed the mark by inches. Further pressure was put on by the cupholders, Jack Taylor ending the movement by sending over. Some good kicking by the City brought them no advantage, and a miskick by Kelso looked dangerous, but Steel covered the City, and when Jones and Conlin got away Balmer and Makepeace easily dealt with the intentions. Play was now a trifle slower, and the stop when little conlin got the worse of a collison with the younger Balmer. The same wing came again, and a corner was forced, but from this the ball was headed over. Half-time Manchester City nil, Everton 1.

The initial portion had demonstrated the superiority of the Blues, who notwithstanding the conditions, prevailing had given really good exhibition the front rank, had executed splendid cohesion, and the defence was capable of dealing with the Mancunians incursion. The spectators while away the interval by snowballing the “bobbies” and rival supporters. This is soon ceased when the players reappeared. From the restart it was soon evident that the Citzens were going to make a great bid for victory. Their forwards came away in fine style, and notwithstanding good play by the Everton halves, Scott was soon in danger. The Balmers effected some clever clearance, but Lot Jones secured the leather and made the equalised goal. A spirited attempt by the Blues to obtained the lead again was repulsed, and the visitors citadel was again subjected to considerable pressure. From a corner Steel put the ball past Scott, the feat being heartily applauded by the Mancunians . having now secured the lead, Manchester determined to keep it, and it was soon perceptible that the Blues were out of it. After Everton had paid a brief visit to the City goal, there was some passing between the home right pair, and Steel centred to Thornley who beat Scott, the ball going through the goalkeeper's hand. After Everton play with tremendous energy, and for a time kept the ball within easy distance of the City goal. Their determined play, however, ended in Young shooting into the side of the net, just as Eadie bowled him over in the snow. Everton were pressing when the end of a remarkable game came with the score: - Manchester City 3, goals, Everton 1.

December 28, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
The match between Everton and the famous amateur organisation the Corinthians, was played at Goodison-park yesterday afternoon before a very poor “gate.” The ground had been cleared of snow, but appeared to be very hard and slippery, and quite a quality of sand had to be put down in each goalmouth. In view of the fact that the Everton League team had been engaged on the two previous days, it was not possible for the Cup-holders to play a representative eleven but, the side included Bootle and Settle. The visitors were well represented the teams being as follows: - Everton: - Sloan, goal Strettall, and Stevenson backs Black Booth and Chadwick, half-backs, Donnachie, Thomas, Rouse, Settle, and Butler, forwards. Corinthians: - T.S.Rowlandson, goal, O.T. Norris and G. Witherington, backs, H. Vickers, M. Morgan-Owen, and C. D. McIver, half-backs, G. C. Vassell, A. H. Birks, N. S. Cornelius, H. Morgan-Owen, and E. G. Wright forwards. The Corinthians started, but Everton were first to get going, and Donnachie sent close with a capital long shot. Then the amateurs went down in line, and following a capital passing movement, Corclius opened the scoring with a neat shot, which gave Sloan no chance of saving. Chiefly through the instrumentality of Settle, the home side made progress, but Whitherington repelled, and the amateurs forced a corner which led to a strong attack on the home goal. Three shots were sent in at close range, but each was charged down. The Blues could make no headway, and Sloan had to clear from Vassell. At last Donnachie and Thomas got away, and the latter centred well without avail. Tricky footwork by Cornelius was applauded and the visitors centre beat a couple of opponents before sending out to Vassell, who forced Sloan to save a good high shot, just under the crossbar. Everton followed with their best attack so far, Rowlinson punched out a long shot from Donnachie, who, however, got possession once move and centred well only to see Rouse miss the ball when in the goalmouth. Settle tried to get the ball into the net without avail, and Butler slipped when he had a fair opening. For some time the Blues kept the amateurs hard at work in defence of their goal, but the home side seldom looked like scoring. On the other hand, the first time the Corinthians got going Vassell called upon Sloan, who, however, had no difficulty in clearing. A corner to Everton, led to a strong attack on the Corinthians goal, which had some exceedingly narrow escapes, until Butler finally sent across the goal, and outside. The visitors could not get away for quite a long time, and Booth tried his luck, but Rowlinson saved the centre half's shot. At length Donnachie beat Vickers and Norris very cleverly and centraining in fine style, he had the satisfaction of seeing Butler score the equalising goal with a shot, which gave Rowlinson no chance of saving his charge. Following this reverse the Corinthians attacked with vigour, and a goal seemed certain when Black cleared. More good work by Donnachie followed, but this time, Settle headed over the bar. Black was again conspicuous during another Corinthian attack, and Everton forced a corner, which was worked away. Sloan saved a good shot from H. Morgan –Owen, and Everton attacked. Rowlinson saving well from Butler, Vassell was unfortunate just afterwards for after beating three opponents, he unluckily sent the ball too far forward, and Sloan ran out and cleared. Half-time 1, Corinthians 1. On resuming Settle did good services, and Everton put on pressure, Rowlinson in saving from Butler, who afterwards made some capital runs, and centres. The Corinthian backs were sturdy, and their forwards got away, Sloan saving from H. Morgan –Owen. An exciting incidents incident followed, Rowlinson ran out some distance in order to save a corner, but was robbed by Donnachie, who beat two opponents, and shot well into goal. Norris however, fell back into Rowlinson's position, and headed out Donnachie's shot very cleverly. It was a narrow escape for the amateurs. Keeping up the pressure, Everton forced a corner through Donnachie who was playing splendidly, but the visitors dashed away. Strettell clearing well. After good work by Donnachie. Thomas threw away a fine chance of giving Everton the lead, and this was followed by a strong counter attack. Vassell twice shot wide, but later made amends by sending across a perfect centre, H. Morghan –Owen sending over the bar when only a few yard from Sloan. The home side once more put on pressure, Rowlinson saving from Settle, and Butler after the left wingers had each sent outside. Rose called upon Rowlinson with a good shot, which the custodian cleared. The visitors could seldom get away, but the home forwards generally finished badly. Rowlinson, however, cleared from Butler and Norris was hurt in a collision with Rouse. The accident unfortunate for Everton, for Donnachie had a perfect opening when play was stopped. Norris quickly resumed, and after both Thomas and Settle had missed fine openings the visitors attacked, Sloan turning a great shot from Cornelius round the post, the corner being cleared. Final – Everton 1, Corinthians 1.

December 31, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.
Few football enthusiasts –in the city at any rate –expected Everton to be seriously troubled by Middlesbrough. Had not the Tees-siders, as is their went, been floundering about the bottom of the League table since the season began? What a chance therefore had they against the club at the top of the ladder? But everyone who has closely followed Association football well know that reckoning on such basic is fallacious nine times out of ten. Often enough a club struggling for very existence has lowered the colours of presumably unapproachable opponents. It had also to be remembered that Middlesbrough during the festive season had been exhibiting form, which was to be expected from a host of internationals. With men like Brawn, Bloomer, Common, and Wilcox –all high priced transferred artists –in the forward line, anything was possible. Fortunately. Perhaps for Everton's chances of gaining more points, but disappointing somewhat to the spectators the redoubtable Common, not to mention Wilcox was an absentee. What with other changes, and with Andy Aitkens having to figure at full back, the match was a gilt for Everton. So it proved, the verdict being five goals to one in their favour –their second most pronounced victory this season.

Except in front of each goal and where the necessary lines for the guidance of referee and players had been cut out, the “field” bore a beautiful white mantle of snow. It was pretty to look at, but not quite what your football players care to display themselves upon. Still, that slight fall of snow after the ground had been cleared was a blessing in disguise. It did not prevent the men slipping about every now and them, but for all that the exhibition reached a higher standard than might have been anticipated. It was too one-sided to be really interesting –that is to the non-partisan, in the first half particularly Everton were immeasurably the better team. They were all over the Teesiders, and the wonder is that the scoring was confined to one goal, which fell to Young, off whose knees the ball bounded into the net. There was luck about it, of course, but still it was Sandy's 21 st goal of the season, and great was the rejoicing. The second portion of the game was more even, although Everton did put on four goals. Right from the kick off plucky little Hardman worked through all opposition and a glorious centre provided Bolton, with an opportunity, which he neatly utilised. It was just after this that Middlesbrough were seen to best advantage. They indulged in some really effective football and well deserved the somewhat unexpected goal, which Brawn registered with a fast low shot. However, they never looked like troubling the leaders, and once Everton took matters in hand again the fate of the Middlesbrough contingent was sealed. Bolton responded for a third goal –in the opinion of many it was offside, but the referee though otherwise –and then during a visitation of fog, which settled round the Walton end goal, and cleared as quickly, as it came, two other goals occurred. Hardman and Bolton being the execution's. Just before the finish Scott had a handful to deal with, but no one could begrudge Everton their pronounced victory on the day's play.

As has been indicated the weakened Middlesbrough were no match for Evertonians. Doubtless the absentee of the great Common had something to do with the ineffectiveness of the forwards line. Bloomer is by no means the men he was, and the only forward to shine at all –and he was variable indeed –was the old Aston Villa crack Brawn. The Halves had a sorry time with the clever Everton vanguard, and they sadly lacked the nessistance of Andy Aitken, who was not a great success at back. As for Williamson, Little fault could be found with his work in goal. Although beaten by five times, he was in no way responsible for his side's downfall. As a matter of fact, Everton were a class above the Northerners. Even the absentee of such noted exponents as Sharp, Makepeace, and Abbott was not felt. Donnachie, as Sharp's substitute showed some of the form of which he is known to be capable, and although he did make mistakes he was not the only sinner in this respect. Bolton, had a great share in their victory, seeing that he accomplished the “hat-trick” in the second half of the game, but still the left wing was more prominent. G. Wilson and Hardman being in rare form. Booth and Chadwick both distinguished themselves in the half-back line. We all known what Tom Booth can do when fit and well, and it was quite a pleasure to see a League recruit in the person of Chadwick with good judgement.

Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer, backs, Booth, Taylor (Captain), and Chadwick, half-back, Donnachie, Bolton, Young, G. Wilson, and Hardman, forwards. Middlesbrough: - Williamson, goal, Tyldesley, and A. Aitkens, S. Aitkens, and Harkins, half-backs, Barker, Brawn, Tucker, Murray, and Thackery, forwards. Referee T. Gardner.

December 1906