Everton Independent Research Data


Athletic News - Monday 02 December 1907
Everton were due to play Birmingham at Goodison Park, but the interference of the fog field prevented any football.  The referee agreed to wait until the hour of starting before coming to any definite decision. It was then impossible to see, the goal posts from the penalty line, and there was no other course available but to abandon the match.  For the first time in his career as a League referee Mr. Hammond had to acknowledge a blank day. 

December 3, 1907. The Liverpool Echo
Everton are at Newcastle on Saturday, and they will be represented by the side that beat United in the Cup with two exceptions –R. Balmer for Crelly and MaConnachie for Taylor. This is the team chosen; Scott; W and R Balmer; Makepeace, MaConanchie, and Abbott; Sharp, Bolton, Young, Settle, and H.P. Hardman. Last Saturday's Sharp, R. Balmer and Taylor were not selected they were given a rest. Fog gained the wholly of the players a rest; hence the names of Sharp and R. Balmer reappear. MaConnachie holds his place. The men leave Lime-street at three o'clock on Friday, and break the journey at Tynemouth. They are all fit and well, and no doubtful starters are expected. The kick off is very early –two o'clock. The reserve team at home to Earlestown will be; Sloan; Strettell and Crelley; Adamson, Booth and Chadwick; Rafferty, Graham, Jones, Mountford, and Woods.

December 5, 1907. The Liverpool Echo
Everton have never gained the day at Newcastle. Few teams come from St. James's Park with anything but a bad goal record, though throughout the season the visitors were better side to match victory or make honours even, owing to the long period the United took to settle down. During November the Novocastrains showed more of their knows ability and Everton are unfortunate in meeting their great rivals at a time when they are just about at the top of their form. If the Northern ground has had as great a rainfall as Liverpool has had, I shall expect Everton won win, believe that they will act better than their opponents in the heavy going. Everton have lost seven times at Newcastle and the two draws games there were registered many years ago. At Walton Newcastle have won 3 and Everton 5 and there can hardly be a club that has been more successful against Everton. Of course the defeat of the United in the Cup final two years ago is something which quite blots out the pains of League defeats. Nevertheless the time will come when the Blues will take two League points from the view to the well-appointed St James's ground and I fancy Saturday will be that occasion. Newcastle will play the same team which defeated Birmingham and drew with Aston Villa, the eleven being chosen last night; Lawrence; McCombe, and Peden; Gardner, Veitch, and McWilliams; Rutherford, Howie, Appleyard, Orr, and Duffy.

December 9, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton were decidedly unlucky not to come away from Newcastle with one point, at any rate. The United secured a win by 2 goals to 1, the winning goal being from a penalty kick just close on time. There was not a goal difference in the play, and a draw would have better represented it. Newcastle, indeed, would have been satisfield with a point. It was by no means a bad effort on the part of Everton when it is remembered that their forces were considerably weakened, whilst the Tynesiders were about at full strength, the only change being Ridley for Duffy at outside-left. Everton were without Young, Taylor, and the two Balmers, their places respectively being taken by Jones, the Prescot youth; MaConnachie, Stevenson, and Crelly, and capital substitutes they proved in what was a hot struggle with the Newcastle men, who were found in one of their best moods. Therefore, in judging of the result one must make allowance for these unfortunate circumstances incidental to the Everton team.
It was a fast and exciting game. The style of play of both teams as is well known, has many points of similarity, scientific movements being especially a prominent feature. We had some line defensive play in the first half on the Everton side, and some dazzling footwork and very finished combination in the United front line. They were very bustling and energetic throughout the first 45 minutes. It was soon evident that they means business such sharpshooters as Appleyard, Howie and Rutherford proving a source of danger before the game was a few minutes old. Scott had some regular teasers to deal with, indeed the wonder is how his goal escaped, as often as it did. The Everton forwards were not exhibiting their usual smartness in the early part of the game, and were frequently outwitted, although this did not apply to Settle, who was more effective than his colleagues, and looked well after chances. Once he nearly scored from a corner. The visitors had now a splendid opportunity. They were awarded a penalty kick in consequence of Pudan handling in the prescribed area. MaConnachie was entrusted with the kick, but he sent it just outside, to the disgust of Everton. A Shout of jubilation came from the serried ranks of 30,000 Newcastle supporters. It was a lucky let off for the Novocastrians. How valuable the goal would have been to the visitors!
During the early part of the second half the Blues had distinctly the best of the argument, the team playing with more determination and better cohesion than before. Luck, however, was not theirs. In addition, there were chances missed by Settle and Jones, the last-named having a magnificent chance. Sharp was often very dangerous, and a good watch was kept on him. A goal came at length for Everton, Settle, taking a fairly high pass from Sharp and scoring, Lawrence having no chance with the shot. The game was being waged with extra-ordinary vigour at this point, and there were plenty of exciting incidents. So it continued up to the finish, neither side showing any slackness, Scott had to save from Appleyard, who put in from short range, whilst Lawrence was found employment by Bolton and Jones. There was time for Newcastle to do mischief, and Rutherford, who equalised from a corner, demonstrated this very shortly after. The next minute it looked as if Appleyard had scored, but his shot, however, struck the side of the net. Through Crelly unfortunately fisting the ball in the penalty area, Newcastle were presented with a fine chance. Appleyard made no mistake with the penalty kick .
Judged broadly, the United were the better team, the forwards excelling in the neat, methodical way in which they managed transferred of the ball. There was completely understanding between them, and those short passes were cleverly contrived. Rutherford was a glutton for work, his running, and passing being of the best, and his was the most masterly forward display on the field. He was ably seconded by Howie, whilst Appleyards was a worker all through, although the close attentions of MaConnachie bothered him considerably. Alec Gardner played a very consistent and sound half-back game, Veitch falling off a lot in the second half, whilst McCombie was not much use after the injury to his leg. Settle played a dashing and telling forward game for Everton, taking his passes in good style. Harold Hardman did not shine with his accustomed effect, and Sharp did the best work in the second half, and occasionally pleased the spectators with some of his old-time runs. Bolton has been seen to better advantage, but he played a useful game. Jones considering that this was the first time he his figured at centre for the League team, justified his selection, and, leaving out of account one or two chances he missed, he missed, he gave a nice and effective display. He has grit in him, and should develop well. Makepeace played a very artistic game, always sound and sure, whilst MaConnachie's other wise good display was somewhat discounted by his failure with the penalty. Stevenson was far ahead of his collegue. Crelly, and gave an exhibition the value of which was getting out safely from tight corners. Scott in goal was splendid; no further comment as to him is necessary. Teams: - Newcastle United: - Lawrence, goal, McCombie, and Pudan, backs, Gardiner, Veitch, and McWilliams, half-backs Rutherford, Howie, Applleyard Orr, and Ridley, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goals, Stevenson, and Crelly, backs, Makepeace, MaConnachie, and Abbott half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Bolton, Jones, Settle, Hardman, forwards. Referee J.H.Pearson.

Athletic News - Monday 09 December 1907
Newcastle United 2, Everton 1
By Northumbrian
At James’s Park Newcastle United defeated Everton somewhat luckily, and so for the fifth consecutive week the Novocastrians have maintained an unbeaten record. The fact that their aggregate goal average for five successive games stands at 18 to 5 in their favour emphasizes the recovery of form. Throughout their League campaign with the Tynesiders, Everton have never gained a single triumph at St. James's Park, whereas the Northerners have drawn once and won three times at Goodison Park. Indeed, Newcastle can boast of an overwhelming advantage over the Lancastrians, since of the nineteen games they have now played, they have won eleven, lost five, and drawn, three. Jones took Young’s place at centre forward in the Everton forward line, and this was the first occasion on which this promising Prescott recruit had figured in the team this season, his only previous appearance having been against Sunderland last season. Crelley was reinstated at left-back in company with a debutante in W. Stevenson, who was formerly associated with Accrington Stanley. Singularly enough, he faced another debutante in James Ridley, a tall young Novocastrian who secured his Introduction to First League football owing to Duffy not having recovered from an Injury.
Jones kicked off for Everton under ideal climatic conditions before over 30,000 spectators. For at least a quarter of an hour the Newcastle eleven completely mastered their opponents in the open, but the footwork was overdone at close quarters, and hence they could not score against the fearless and reliable tackling of men of calibre of Booth, Crelley, and Stevenson. The latter agreeably surprised by his sound resourceful craftsmanship. The United’s goal had a narrow escape from an advance by Settle and Hardman, and then Scott distinguished himself in dropping full length to a rocket-like shot from Rutherford.  Pudan was sprinting at top speed to challenge Sharp, when a swiftly driven centre from the Lancashire cricketer struck, or was handled by the back. The referee awarded a penalty kick, and Macconnachie was given an opportunity to earn distinction as a marksman, but the ex-Edinburgh Hibernian missed the objective by yards, to the extreme relief of the Tynesiders. In the parlance of the ring. Rutherford was knocked out by a kick from Abbott, and was an absentee for some minutes EVERTON IPROVE.
If Newcastle largely monopolized the ball the visitors were more enterprising and deadly marksmen, both Abbott and Jones being conspicuous for lightning volleys. Within five minutes of changing ends M’Combie was rendered almost helpless for the remainder of game by a sprain, and Everton took full advantage of their opponents' handicap. They were quicker on the ball in all departments, and Sharp successfully utilized a miskick by M’Combie transferring the ball to the centre, from whence it was driven into the net by Settle. Fifteen minutes later Ridley, and Orr forced a corner kick off Makepeace, the first named deftly piloted the flag kick in front of the posts. Scott fisted the ball on the wing, where Rutherford fastened on to it, and equalized with an oblique shot The Tynesiders thereafter revealed fine stamina and dash, and four minutes from the close Orr Headed in a centre from Rutherford. The ball was fisted out by Maconnachie and Appleyard decisively determined the argument by scoring from the penalty kick.
The performance of the Tynesiders did not entitle them to the full honour? for they were inconsistent and lacked finish. They were certainly the better side prior to the interval, but until the last fifteen minutes there appeared a very remote chance of their success. Notwithstanding poor passes by Orr, Ridley shaped in promising fashion and male a good impression. Appleyard, Howie, and Rutherford were chiefly responsible for forcing the Tyneside attack and whilst they acquitted themselves satisfactorily, it cannot be said that they ever really mastered the skillfully conceived opposition of Abbott, Maconnachie, and Makepeace. The best features of the United’s defence were the brilliant individual efforts of M William, Pudan, and Lawrence. Jones proved a successful understudy to Young, as the leader of Everton’s forward line being decisive in his movements and a good marksman. Settle and Sharp showed sterling football, but their respective partners were weak. Stevenson’s admirable defensive display fully justified his promotion to first-class company, and Crelley, if not quite up to concert pitch, effectively shadowed the United’s strongest wing. Newcastle United;—Lawrence; M'Combie, Pudan; Gardner, Veitch, McWilliams; Rutherford,  Howie, Appleyard, Orr,  and Ridley; Everton.-Scott; Stevenson, Crelley; Makepeace, Maconnachie, Abbott; Sharp, Bolton, Jones, Settle, and H. P. Hardman Referee.—J. H. Pearson. Crewe.

December 9, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 14)
Everton accomplished another big performance on Saturday in defeating Earlestown by nine goals to one, this being the second occasion this season on which the Blues have recorded this score at Goodison. No fewer than six changes in the advertised team were necessary owing to injuries, and Taylor was requisitioned to take the left back position. Earlesrtown, however, were unable to take any advantage of the mixed Everton team (who played in stripes jerseys), and were practicably outclassed from start to finish. Three goals were put on in the first half through Cook, Winterhalmer, and Chetwood, while in the second portion seven were registered, the Everton men being responsible for all, Taylor heading through his own goal, and Winterhalmer, Cook, and Chetwood each scoring twice, a singular circumstance being that the nine goals were equally distributed between these three forwards. The winners, notwithstanding they disarrangement showed good combination. Sloan had a quiet time, though Taylor did not take well to his new position. The halves were splendid, Rafferty, at left half, doing good services albert shooting erratically, while the forwards were a most dangerous lot. Winterhalmer, who took the centre position, displaying form worthy of an extended that Woods also played a capital game. The losers showed only moderate form all round . Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettle and J. Taylor backs, Adamson, Chadwick, Raffert, half-backs, Chetwood, Cook, Winterhalmer, Mountford, and Woods, forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 16 December 1907
Sunderland 1, Everton 2
By Tom Tiddler
Sunderland are making some very unenviable records this season, and no mistake.  Their latest in three consecutive defeats at Roker Park, Everton being the third winner on Saturday by 2-1.  The three victories have each been by Lancashire teams, and, curiously enough, by precisely the same score.  Taking the run of the play, Everton were certainly a little fortunate in capturing the full complement of points.  Yet one cannot overlook the fact that they were the smarter side in front of goal.  On the other hand it must not be forgotten that Sunderland were without Huggins for nearly an hour.  Clearly the luck did not come Sunderland's way.  The afternoon turned out bright and fine, although there was a heavy shower near the close, and a crowd of 12,000 spectators paid toll.
It was but natural that the Sunderland directors should rely upon the same team that served them so well at Birmingham in the previous match.  The formation of the front line was a decided novelty for Wearside folk, and included Foster, the new centre from Watford.  Everton made three changes, and Woods figuring in the position usually occupied by Harold Hardman, while at the last moment, it was decided to play Mountford instead of Settle.  Hogg winning the toss, Sunderland had the advantage of a cross breeze during the opening half.  At the outset the home men overwhelmed their opponents, and fiercely bombarded the Everton citadel.  The goal, however, could not be captured.  Occasionally, the visitors tripped away, and after less than half a dozen visits to that quarter they notched a couple of goals.  The first came fourteen minutes from the start.  Sharp had shot across to the opposing wing, and after a brief exchange of kicks on both sides Mountford pounced on the ball and sent it into the net.  Four minutes later Sharp sent straight across from near the penalty line, and Jones, without hesitation, drove the ball along the ground out of Ward's reach.  These reverses roused the home men to even greater efforts, and seven minutes from the interval Holley received from Huggins and gave Scott more than he could hold, the ball dropping through the goalkeeper’s hands into the net.
Just afterwards Huggins retired with a sprained knee, and though he pluckily returned on the cross-over it was plain to be seen that he was helpless, and he had to finally go off twelve minutes after the resumption.  Though severely handicapped, Sunderland held their ground well, but they could not draw level, a blank second half leaving Everton with the honours.  The game was contested on a ground rendered heavy by almost torrential rains, and under the circumstances the football was of a fairly high order.  Sunderland were the more noteworthy for getting over the ground, some of the movements being very smart, but they were not able to crown them with the all-desired goal.  Everton, too, were clever, and to some purpose, though they must admit that their opponents did the bulk of the pressing.  Sharp played a remarkable fine game.  Bolton was smart, and Jones did fairly well, Woods and Mountford made the better wing, the former in particular showing himself a most resourceful player.  The half-back line was as good as any seen at Roker this season.  Macconanchie bearing off the palm.  He was not surpassed, if equaled, by any half-back on the field.  Stevenson was the more reliable of the backs, not that Balmer played a bad game, while Scott kept a fine goal.
The Faults of Sunderland.
Sunderland’s most dangerous forward for the time being was Huggins.  A glutton for work, he would not be shaken off.  Holley was a valuable partner.  It would be hardly fair to expect Foster to give of his best on such a heavy ground at the outset.  Towards the finish he exhibited great form, but in the main Macconnachie is too much for him.  Hogg was not quite up to form, and Morley seemed too anxious to get rid of the ball to do himself justice.  The home middle men were a good trio.  Tait, however, was the pick of the line, and McConnell will require a little more practice to get back to his old form.  Bonthron worked like a horse, and towards the close had more than one try on his own account to net the ball.  Daykin was a fine partner, and Ward kept a grand goal.  There was a great improvement in the home display on the previous home fixture, but much more is needed if the club is to regain something of the old reputation.  There is an absence of understanding, too much keeping the ball on the wings, and too little shooting.  Sunderland; Ward; Bonthron, Daykin; Tait, McGhie, McConnell; Morley, Hogg (captain), Foster, Holley, and Huggins.  Everton; Scott; Stevenson, Balmer (R.); Makepeace, Macconnachie, Abbott; Sharp, Bolton, Jones, Mountford, and Woods.  Referee; Mr. H. Hayes, Nottingham. 

December 16, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Wearside has not witnessed many Everton League Successes. If memory serve only twice had they won previous in Saturday, either on the old or the new. Roker-park. Now another really creditable victory must be added to their record. It was all the more gratifying on account of the somewhat experimental side, which was either by design of, forced circumstances placed in the fields. Five players, who must be classed as reserves, appeared in the Everton teams. Stevenson, MaConnachie, and Jones it is time played in a great part in the game with the League champions on the proceeding Saturday, but to this trio against Sunderland, Mountford and Woods were added. Under such conditions it would not have been surprising if defeat had been sustained. The Everton directors, it is well known, have at command many excellent reserves, and they are to be commended upon the wise policy which they have adopted men with great reputations must continue to exhibited first class form if they are to retain their place, especially when so many young players, full of enthusiasm, are knocking at the door for the opportunity of recognition.
After the continuos downfall of rain the turf at Roker-park was relieved to something approaching swamp, but in spice of this the surface was by no means one which suggested scientific football. For all that it was surprising dashing exhibition. On their form, although, Sunderland scarcely deserved to be in a present lowly position. True, they have suffered three consecutive defeats at home, but when once the team settle down under Hogg captaincy they ought to be capable of much better things. From the manner in which they opened the game against Everton they seemed as if they might to carry everything before them. The tumbled at once to the state of the ground and kept the ball swinging about. Fortunately the Everton defenders aided by weak finishing efforts on the part of the home vanguard, prevented them finding the net. After about a quarter of an hour of this sort at work the Everton men pulled themselves together, and then was seen the difference in the methods of the sides. Sharp put in some exceptionally neat touches, and afterwards had centred to Mountford, who by a capital work scored a goal. Momentary pressure by the Sunderland forwards was neutralised. Again Everton advanced and again there was scored by Jones, Woods banged the ball right across the field, Sharp, middled, and the Prescot youth shot into the goal, with Ward helpless to avert disaster. With a two goal led, Everton played with even more confidence than before, and although Holley scored rather luckily shortly before the interval, Sunderland never looked like drawing level. The second half was non-productive in the matter of goals. For the greater part of the half, Sunderland unfortunately were without the services of Huggins owing to injury. Still they went at this with all their energy of despair. At one period the Everton defenders were very hard pressed, but then the visiting side, rubbed it in, and might easily have increased their score. Doubtless victory went to the cleverer team.
Every member of the winning side was worth the two points. They were all triers and though the conditions were rather against them they means to do all that was humanely possible to achieve success. The game did not produce much “class” football, but throughout the play, was full of interest. What the reserves may lack in science was compensated for in the main by refreshing dash and determination. Woods and Mountford were an effective left wing, and Jones in the centre was always
Ready to use an opening, but Sharp and Bolton formed were the cleverer wing, the outside man, approximating his happiest vein. The halves were as usual a strong part of the team. MaConnachie being seen to much more advantage, in the second half of the game. The backs were both good. R. Balmer was clever both by his kicking and tackling, while Stevenson improve as the game played out. Scott too did his work in capable style. The Sunderland defence was much stronger than the attack, though doubtless the loss of Huggins which serious blow to them. Even when the side was at full strength, there was ineffectiveness about their efforts, which is sufficient to explain in their defeat. Teams: - Sunderland: - Ward, goals, Bonthres, and Daykis, backs, Tait, McGhee, and McConnell, half-backs, Murley Hogg, Foster, Holley, and Huggins, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goals, Stevenson, and R. Balmer, backs, Makepeace, MaConnachie, and Abbott half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Bolton, Jones, Mountford, and Woods, forwards. Refere H Hayes

December 16, 1907. The Liverpool Courier. .
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 15)
Rossendale United met a similar fate to that which had befallen other visitors to Goodison-park this season, in being defeated by five goals to one. The game was expected to prove a close affair, but the powerful Everton eleven –which included Taylor and Young, of the League forces, and Mason of Whitechurch, who was making his first appearance –gave their visitors little hope and for the greater part of the game Rossendale were outplayed. Some time later the scoring began, and then Young opened the play out by transferring to Mason. The debutant deceived the defence by letting the leather slip past him to Rafferty, who cleverly beaten McGregor. Rossendale then equalised. Sloan saving his charge in cool style during a hot attack, only to be beaten at close quarters by Berry. This roused the Blues, and Young and Rafferty soon put then ahead, the home central also converting a penalty kick. The second half was exceedingly tame. Near the end Crelly beat McGregor with a splendid long shot, while Young failed with another penalty kick. Sloan and his backs played a rare defensive game, while Adamson was the most published half. Taylor at centre half, was better at home than the previous week, when he played left back. The forwards got through agreat amount of good work. Rafferty and Mason at once Settled down, and played a capital game, the recruit showing arouse of being a valuable acquisition to the Blues. Young gave a good display in the first half, but the left wing was not greatly in evidences. Rossendale, who were a big lot, opened well, but fell off considerably before the game was well advance. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettell, and Crelly, backs, Adamson, Taylor, and Chadwick, half-backs, Rafferty, Mason, Young, Cook, and Winterhalmer, forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 23 December 1907
Everton 1, Woolwich Arsenal 1
By Junius
There was quite an air of good fellowship about the League game at Goodison Park, where the forces of Everton and Woolwich Arsenal opposed each other for the first time this season.  Throughout a Christmassy flavour pervaded the whole proceedings; the strenuous endeavour to secure goals and the acquisition of League points seemed a minor consideration, and if we could have only have been treated to a chorus at the finish, the whole affair must have terminated with a sense of complete satisfaction.  A draw was certainly the correct result; had either side won an injustice would have been inflicted upon the vanquished.  Pretty tracing patterns were evolved by the respective forwards, the Arsenal front rank being perhaps the more expert draughtsman, but goals were looked upon with considerable disfavor.  Occasionally one of the players would shot that he was imbued with sordid motives by endeavouring to beat the opposing custodian, but taking the play altogether there were very few instances when this charge could be laid to the account of any individual.  In the last twenty minutes, we saw League football; John sharp took the whole matter into his hands during this period and practically compelled Jones to score a goal from a centre perfectly executed.  In a minute the Southerners showed that they could also locate the netting, and this being accomplished the two teams retired to rest on their laurels. 
Sharp Practice
Quite the feature of the game, to my mind, was the tussle for supremacy between John Sharp, of Everton, and James Sharp, of Woolwich.  This pair had many stirring bouts, first one and then the other gaining the advantage.  Thus the most effective part of the Everton attack was rendered for a time abortive, and as the left wing was practically useless, no matter what opportunities came in that direction, the question of goal scoring became a very remote possibility.  Later on, the sturdy consistent and delightfully fair defender had to strike his colours, and did so like an honorable opponent.  Apart from this there was precious little to interest the onlookers.  Woods had a splendid chance of earning fame and glory by being the first to score.  Sharp eluded the opposition and sent a stinging shot against the post which rebounded to the left winger, who was unmarked and well within the penalty area.  But he did not score.  Before the interval Scott had to clear from Neare and Mordue, and this being achieved the warriors retired for a rather lengthy interval, which necessitated a special journey by one of the linesmen requesting their reappearance.
A Bright Quarter
Woolwich can only blame themselves- or, at least, one of their number-that they did not take the lead twice before the game had been five minutes resumed.  Freeman went through this number of times in rapid succession, but when goals appeared certainties he allowed Robert Balmer to rob him once, and afterwards utterly miskicked when nearly under the posts.  It was not until near the finish that really deserving efforts to score were forthcoming.  Sharp led several brilliant raids, one centre being tipped over the bar, while another which was more of a shot, cannoned against it.  Scott saved beautifully from Coleman but Sharp came again, and rounding his opponents, set accurately to Jones, who had nothing to do but divert the ball into the net.  Scarcely had the cheers subsided when Neave was seen stealing along touch, and crossing to Coleman, the latter easily equalized.  Everton made another effort, and Jones banged the ball against the crossbar the Arsenal goal having a lucky escape in the closing seconds of the game. 
Everton Entitles
As will have been gathered from the fore-going remarks, the game was not one of a blood-stirring character; enthusiasm was lacking until the final stages, and there was nothing to choose between the rivals in the matter of efficiently.  Sharp was easily the best of the Everton forwards, and his display stood out in marked contrast to the ragged efforts of the remainder of the front line.  Jones was not skillful in the centre; he was zealous and anxious but his control of the ball was often very faulty.  The left wing men were chiefly conspicuous for the number of blunders they made.  Woods gave a most disappointing exhibition; he had numerous openings, but gave not a glimpse of any ability to profit therefrom.  In the half-back line we saw a similar state of affairs.  Neither Abbott nor Macconanchie rose above an average level, and each failed to blend with that harmony which, as a rule, is a characteristic of the Everton half-backs.  The most successful performer was Adamson, a youth of some twenty-two summers, who hails from Lochgelly.  He showed a capital knowledge of the requirements of his position; passed judiciously, and kept well in touch with his forwards.  There was, however, a tendency at times to roam further afield, which he would do well to check; otherwise he certainly justified his inclusion in the team.  The full-backs were not good, and Stevenson was disappointing.
Woolwich Whispers
On the other hand, the Woolwich defence was good, and, as already stated, sharp proved himself a most capable back.  Ashcroft was excellent, for what he had to perform was done in cool yet able fashion.  Of the half-backs, Ducat was very effective, but McEachrane worked hard, and he had sterner stuff to face than his comrades.  The forwards displayed very pretty passing, which was often drawn out to a worthless limit, and many really clever sequences of passing were spoiled by over-finessing at close quarters. Neare was the pick of the line, but Freeman was not seen to advantage, and a deadly pivot might have made a vital difference to the Woolwich prospects.  Everton; Scott; Stevenson, Balmer (R.); Adamson, Macconanchie, Abbott; Sharp, Bolton, Jones, Settle, and Woods.  Woolwich Arsenal; Ashcroft; Gray, Sharp; Ducat, Sands, McEachrane; Mordue, Coleman, Freeman, Kyle, and Neare.  Referee; J.G.A. Sharpe, Lichfield. 

Athletic News- December 23 1907
Everton have signed on Harry Arnold as an amateur.  He is the son of the lessee of the Lyric Theate, and has the reputation of being a capable inside-left.  Prior to coming to Liverpool, he was stationed in Bradford, and assisted the City Reserve.  He will appear with the combination. 

December 23, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Woolwich Arsenal may be described as one of the babies of the First Division of the League. Prior to Saturday they had only made three appearances at Goodison-park in search of League points. On one occasion they were successful in every throwing the forces of Everton, and it will be remembered that not long ago a replayed match at Plumstead, after fog had caused an abandonment, lost Everton the championship. Thus the Goodison-park club had reason to treat the Gunners with respect. That was all very well, but certainly the supporters of the “Blues” did not expect their favourites to give away a point. The fact remains that Everton and Woolwich Arsenal participated in a drawn game, which was not particularly interesting. That was about the right endings. Neither side deserved to be in a position to crow over the other. For something like two-thirds of the game the proceedings were as tame as possible. John Sharp's great efforts in the later portion of the match were the redeeming feature of an otherwise colourless and lifeless exhibition.
Everton again drew upon their reserves, Settle replaced Mountford, who was on the winning side at Sunderland, but with Makepeace on the injured list a new aspirant to League honours in the person of Adamson appeared at right half-back. The first half of the game was singularly disappointing. The nicer points of the game were only occasionally in evidence, and it was little wonder that cries were heard from spectators to “play up.” The forwards on both sides had chances. For instance, on one occasion, after Sharp had banged the ball against the upright, Woods had a glorious opportunity, but there was no goal. Similarly with Woolwich Arsenal. Their forwards showed cleverer footwork than did the opposing quitette. Time after time the wingmen worked the ball down. In their case they were rather badly let down by their centre forward. Freeman. Still when all is said and done, the fare served up in the opening half of the game was nothing about which one could enthuse. The changes of ends produced some improvement, especially from an Everton point of view. This was due almost entirely to the acting captain Jack Sharp. On his favourite patch near the directors' box he gave the spectators some dashing runs which were always suggestive of a score. Unfortunately he was not as well assisted as he might have been or, rather, the Woolwich defenders were too clever to allow themselves to be beaten. At length Sharp brushed a side his namesake, and centred for Jones to score easily. Everton then seemed to have won, the game, but within less than a minute Scott was beaten. After waiting so long for a score, two goals within a minute was an eye-opener. The closing stages were full of excitement, and Jones experienced cruel luck when he sent the ball against the upright with Ashcroft in a helpless position. However, the end was a goal each.
The main cause of Everton's partial down fall was the erractic of the defence. At times their work was of the most meritorious description, at others there was a lamentable lack of understanding which, with a capable pivot in the Arsenal attack, might have been disastrous. Scott in goal could not have been better –some of his saves were of the order which one expects from a keeper of his pronounced ability. Neither of the backs was consistent, Stevenson did many smart things, and so did R. Balmer, but they were too in and out to be really effective. So with the half-back line. Adamson made a creditable debut, Macconnachie looked well after Freeman –not a very arduous undertaking –but Abbott was the good old warhorse, but somehow the backs and halves did not blend. Sharp alone of the forwards was really conspicuous. His brilliant work in the last half-hour of the game will long be remembered. Although he did not score Everton's goal the credit was hi. Jones, in the centre, was a trier throughout, but he got little assistance from either Bolton or Settle. For the matter of that, Woods especially in the second half, was left pretty much to himself. Matches cannot be won unless the best spirit prevails amongst the players, and all are determined to assist one another. Everton will have to improve on Saturday's form if they hope to finish well up in the League Competition. Teams:- Everton: - Scott, goal, Stevenson, and, R.. Balmer, backs Adamson, McConnachie, and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp (captain), Bolton, Jones, Settle, and Woods, forwards. Woolwich Arsenal: - Ashcroft, goal, Gray, and Sharp, backs, Ducat, Sands, and McLarbrane, half-backs, Murdie, J. Coleman, B Freeman, Kyle, and Jones, forwards. Referee G. A. Sharp.

December 23, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 16)
In view of the fact that Everton had beaten Earlestown at Goodison-park a fortnight previously by 9 goals to 1, they did not expect to receive a check when they brought off the return engagement on Saturday. Such was the case, however, for the Earlestown men gave a surprisingly good account of themselves, and were well worthy of the point which they secured by reason of a draw of 1 goal each. Indeed, it was only in the last minute that Everton managed to get on level terms through Chadwick, Woods having given the home side the lead during the opening half. Everton were not allowed to settle down, and if Earlestown can maintain their form they will speedily make progress in the competition. Both Topping and Sloan kept goal finely, and indeed the defenders all through held the attack in hand. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettell, and Crelly, backs, Booth, Taylor, and Chadwick, half-backs, Donnachie, Graham, Mason, Mountford, and Winterhalmer, forwards.

December 24, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
H.S.Buck, the well-known local footballer and sprinter, has signed an amateur form for Everton. His signature was secured last week, and he will probably have a trial in the first team during the holiday.

December 26, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
There was an attendance of quite 14,000 people to witness the meeting of Notts County and Everton at Trent Bridge ground, and the spectators were entertained by a capital contest, in which the home side carried off the honours and the points. Notts had their forward line strengthened by the inclusion off Dodd a new inside right obtained from Workington, who made a successful debut. Dodd is a Wallasey youth. The Everton halves and rear guard were as in recent matches, but Mountford appeared as partner for Woods on the left wing. Young came in at centre, while Jones went inside right and partnered Donnachie. The following were the teams: - Notts: - Iremonger, goal, Morley, and Montgomery, backs, Emberton, Clamp, and Craythorn, half-backs, Dean, Dodd, Tarplin, F. Jones, and Munro, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Stevenson, and R. Balmer, backs, Adamson, MaConnachie, and Abbott (Captain), half-backs, Donnachie, Jones Young, Mountford, and Woods forwards. Referee Mr. Bailey. As was only to be expected with a weakened forward line doing duly. Everton attack was neither very strenuous nor very clever, although Young played a very good game, indeed, and had to put up with some hard knocks from Morley. Just at first Everton, who had a very useful breeze behind them had an apparent advantage in the play, but 11 minutes from the start of the game Tarplin, the Notts centre, got hold of a nice middle by F. Jones, and scored goal for the home side. After this play, was pretty level for some time, but the Notts halves were the better trio. The Everton defence showed weakness on the right, where Stevenson made some miskick, but R. Balmer was great. Everton were enabled to draw level in the after about 39 minutes, owing to a mistake by Iremonger and a stroke of luck, through the ball rebounding off Jone's legs to Young. The latter had just shot and the ball came back to him of Jones with the result that he had an undefended goal to shoot at on the second attempt. Iremonger having run out. Two minutes before the interval Tarplin put Notts ahead again, receiving a centre from Munroe and trickling Balmer. The scoring of this goal made the crowd quite enthusiastic, and they were still cheering when the whistle sounded for half-time. It had been a hotly contested first half, and in its later stage full of excitement. Young and did well. Emberton, and Craythorne held up the outside men. Stevenson in the earlier stages gave Balmer considerable cause for anxiety, but played better as the game wore on. Early in the second half a prolonged and persistent attack was made on the Everton goal. Tarplin being very energetic and disturbing Stevenson repeatedly, whilst Dean, working his way into the centre shot straight and hard at Scott from 15 yards' range, the Everton custodian catching the ball cleverly. Both players were vociferously applauded, Donnachie, for Everton made some pretty runs, and Young almost got through, but Morley's head was in the way of the ball. This full back repeatedly checked Woods, and Mountford who, however, forced a corner, from which exciting pressure resulted, but the defence prevailed. The wind was rather strong hereabouts, and Everton found it a handicap. A free kick, however, fell to them just outside the penalty line, and taking it cleverly they gave Notts an anxious couple of minutes. Eventually the ball went behind, and from the kick out Notts by means of Dean and Dodd, gave Balmer, and Stevenson some work, and also got a shot at Scott. The Everton halves on the whole were not very trustworthy, but Abbott did good work. Twice Morley committed fouls on Everton men and was spoken to by the referee, whilst corners also fell to the Blues. Their shooting at goal was very poor, however, and during quite twenty minutes Iremengor did not touch the ball, except for goal kicks. Towards the end of the game the pace slackened, but Notts held their own, and a game in which they certainly showed up best on the day ended in the favour.

December 26, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 17)
There was a large attendance at Goodison-park yesterday afternoon, when Everton received a visit from Darwen. The home side was strongly represented, while Darwen had a good team doing duty. The teams were: - Everton: - Sloan, goal, W. Balmer, and Strettell, backs Booth, Taylor, and Chadwick, half-backs, Chetwood, Rafferty, Mason, C ooke, and Winterhalmer, forwards. Darwen: - Lill, goal, Smith, and Derbyshire, backs, Booth, Ducksworth, and Hollis, half-backs, Spencer, Crooks, Morton, Chadwick, and Heywood, forwards. Everton commenced operations, and pressed their opponents so hard in the first minute that Darwen defence was compelled to grant what proved an abortive corner. Then Darwen took up the running, but Crook shot wide. Darwen continued to press, and Morton was unlucky not to open the account, Sloan just saving his charge by running out. Both sides put in plenty of hard work, so that the custodian were repeatedly called upon. Winterhalmer presented Cooke with a glorious opening, but failed Mason was just inches out with a long shot. After futile pressure by the Evertonians, Spencer and Crook raced away in splendid fashion, and the latter, getting through at the right moment, rather easily defeated Sloan. A moment later Darwen obtained a penalty kick for handling by Balmer, but Heywood shot over the bar. Then Cooke shot into Lill's hands. Although Everton were now enjoying than a fair share of the attack, they exhibited a lamentable weakness with their finishing touches. After Spencer had vainly tried to beat Sloan, Mason drove in a beautifully accurate shot, which struck the crossbar. Taylor got in a similar shot a moment later, which also struck the bar. Notwithstanding this rather severe bombarding, Darwen found time to engage the home defence, and Sloan was twice called upon, but the shots were only a lukewarm character. Just as the interval approached Sloan saved a beauty from Spencer –Half-time Everton nil, Darwen nil. On resuming Everton were the first away, and Winterhalmer, from a smart pass by Rafferty shot into Lill's hands. Them Heywood had a chance of which he made poor use. For some time play centred in midfield. A mistake by Hollis who failed to clear when the opportunity occurred, led to Darwen's downfall. Winterhalmer doing the trick with a clever shot after taking up a cross kick from the Everton right wing. This success stimulated the Blues to renewed efforts, and for several minutes the Darwen defenders were in a serious position, but finally emerged successfully. From a free kick near the corner flag Duckworthy shot over. After a good attempt by Rafferty had been accounted for by Smith. Morton sent in a fast low shot, which Sloan saved cleverly. Booth (Darwen) brought off a capital save, when the Darwen defence was hopelessly beaten, conceding a corner just as the Everton front rank swooped down on the goal. Then Mason sent just over the bar with a stinging shot. Shortly afterwards Everton claimed a second success as the result of some close work near the Darwen goal. Chetwood putting the finishing touch to the movement and completely deceiving Lill. In the next minute Winterhalmer, running in from the extreme wing scored the third goal for the Blues. In the closing stages, Everton were constantly on the attack and Strettell ran through in brilliant fashion for Chetwood to again finish the movements by Defeating Lill for the fourth time.

December 27 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
For the second of their holiday matches, Everton were pitted against Bristol City at Goodison-park. The day was fine but bitterly cold, a strong southeasterly wind blowing across the ground. Several important changes were made in the Everton team from that which appeared at Nottingham, the old front line was once more seen, Sharp, Bolton, Settle, and Hardman coming in again, whilst Makepeace appeared for Abbott and W. Balmer reappeared in the place of his brother. In the Bristol team Nixon made his League debut, and it was interesting to see that two former Evertonians appeared in the City eleven, Hanlin at left half, and Lewis, who will be remembered as a former goalkeeper, was their custodian. There was about 15,000 spectators present at the commencement. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, Stevenson and W. Balmer, backs, Adamson, McConnachie, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Bolton, Young, Settle, and H.P. Hardman. Bristol City: - Lewis, goal, Annan, and Cottle, backs, Spear, Wedlock, and Hanlin, half-backs, Stainforth, Maxwell, Gilligan, Burton, and Nixon, forwards. Referee T.Armitt. The visitors won the toss, and Everton started against a strong wind. The home side tried to make progress, but first Bolton was robbed by Hanlin, while Makepeace sent outside. However, Hardman forced a corner off Wedlock, from which Settle and Young between them rushed the ball wide of goal. The City retaliated Stevenson heading away from Nixon's centre. The game was temporarily stopped through Makepeace being hurt, but he quickly resumed, and from the throw in Hanlin kicked over the line. Bolton, and Sharp were prominent, the cricketer running well, but the ball went out of play. Stainforth received the ball on the right for the visitors, but Stevenson tackled him. There were one or two good movements on the Everton right, but the opposing wing was on the line, ands the ball went out. Play was for the time in the Bristol half, and though commendable efforts were made to get away the defence of Everton was very good. Both sides were playing up with determination. Young got possession, and pulled the ball right across to the left, but no mischief occurred, and the nest minute Hardman got the ball in his own half, and running splendidly he centred, but Lewis came out and cleared before Sharp had time to get up. The City came away with a rush, and Scott had to save from Stainforth. Stevenson than cleared a dangerous looking shot, Stainforth shortly afterwards shooting wide. Great pressure was being exerted on the home goal, at this stage a fine attempt by Hanlin giving Scott some work. Everton than got away in fine style, but Settle unfortunately got offside. Later Sharp and Bolton showed some tricky play, and twice-baffled Hanlin, Burton and Wedlock. This cleverness, however, brought no tangible result. Bolton putting outside. Everton were still pressing hard, and some surprise was created at the referee adjudging Settle offside when in a splendid position. Bristol showed their appreciation of this piece of luck by going down in a body and gaining a corner. Adamson effecting a splendid clearance. The same player later robbed Burton in brilliant fashion, and subsequently repulsed a dangerous movement by the Bristol left wing. Bristol were for a few minutes having a best of it, though of course they were well assisted by the strong wind. They, however, could make little impression on the Everton defence, the halves playing an especially fine game. Makepeace now had to concede a corner, Scott being fouled as he cleared the ball at the corner of the goal. To show the force of the wind, Settle was parting with the ball when it was blown back to a Bristol player. The Reds were working very hard and were in front of the home goal, where Gilligan headed wide from Stainforth's centre, and then Nixon just put outside. Adamson was now accidentally kicked in the face, and temporarily retured to the touch line to receive attention, and then had to leave the field. Stainforth now showed his speed on the right, but Stevenson was after him in a twinkling, and also showed that he had equal powers of speed. Hardman was instrumental in suddenly removing play, and the ball coming out, Balmer kicked wide. Bolton had now gone half-back owing to Adamson's absence, and they were well holding their own. Settle gave a long pass, which was met by Spear, after which a good run by Sharp looked promising, but Spear got in his way. Then in a warm attack on the Everton goal Spear caused Scott to handle. Burton immediately following this up by shooting over the bar. Adamson had by this time returned to the field, and Gilligan made a good attempt. The Blues now looked like business, as Hardman raced down and sent in a well-directed shot, which Lewis just turned outside. The forwards were well up, and MaConnachie shot over. Everton were playing the keenest at this point, and Hanlin had to concede a corner. Time after time the Blues broke away, Sharp especially forcing the pace and giving them some trouble, but he was met by a very clever half-back in Hanlin. Nixon and Burton also showed good play the first named making a very successful debut in League football combining effectively with his colleague. Half-time Everton nil, Bristol City nil. At the resumption the attendance had increased to some 25,000. Bristol were at this stage aggressive, and Balmer and Stevenson were hard pressed to keep the visitors at bay. An incident, which greatly amused the crowd, was the kicking off policeman helmets which feat was preformed by Spear in clearing from Hardman. Play for the most part was ruling in favour of the Bristol men; their defenders, however, were in for some disapprobation for the severe manner in which they tackled the redoubtable Sharp time after time. They appeared to dread him having the ball at his toe, and seemed desirous to make him get rid of it by fair means or foul. The Everton goal at this period had several narrow escapes. Scott on one occasion brought of a superb save, while later both Maxwell, and Hanlin with open goals missed badly. The homesters then took up the running, and Hardman, after cleverly trickling Spear and Annan, finished with a terrific drive which Lewis was somewhat lucky to clear. With the exception of rare dashes by the home forwards, the visitors were proving themselves much more aggressive and should have opened their score, but for poor shooting. Time after time they got in front of Scott, but when a score seemed certain they tamely put over the bar, their forwards evidently being enable to account for the wind which was blowing. This fault was particularly noticeable in one case, Balmer slipped and fell, and Nixon travelling full speed, got the leather and had the goal at his mercy. However, to the disappointing of his comrades he shot widely, the ball landing amongst the spectators in the top decker stand. Scott was proving what a rare goalkeeper he is, one save from Gilligan evoking the heartiest of applause. That player was walking through the goal when Scott walked up to him and coolly lifted the ball from his toe, Sharp appeared to suffer from the same complaint, twice in succession, after excellent work, finishing very weakly. Unfortunately the best forward on the field was Hardman. His trickiness was always to the fore, and he continually founded Spear and Annan, and put in perfect centres, which were mulled by the inside men.

December 27, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 18)
This proved an attractive holiday fixtures St Helens. The Recs played Clegg for Turner and Brown for Roberts. Brown started play, but Everton were early pressing, Woods and Mountford making an exceedingly tricky run down touch line. Woods centred well, but Clegg kicked away. Roberts made a capital run down the touchline, and centred well, but Sloan cleared Jones then broke away with a clear opening but shot the ball against Rogers, who cleared well. From the ensuing bully in the goalmouth Roberts made another run along touch, but Crelly headed behind his centre. Woods again raced off and twice centred well in front of the posts, but neither chance was taken advantage of. Clegg checked Rafferty as the latter was getting dangerous, and the Recs obtained relief through a dead ball. Clegg put across to Woods, whose shot was changed behind by Hunter. The ball was well put in, and during the melee in goal mouth, whilst Rogers was out Griumshaw took the part of the goalkeeper and stopped the shot with both hands. Jones scored from the penalty kick. Woods was then injured, and left the field. Crelly repelled the Recs right wing, but Cunliffe made way on the left and forced a corner which france had a shot charged down at close quarters. Cunliffe shot in well, but Sloan kicked well out. France had hard luck. The Recs were now having more of the play, but from a well placed corner kick by Cunliffe, France shot yards over. Everton were penalised just outside the penalty line, and Brown had a good shot charged down. A similar fate befell an effort by Roberts. Ingham tried hard to get through, but shot over, and at the other end Rogers saved from Rafferty, whilst Mountford just missed with a good grounder. Mountford made a splendid effort, beating several opponents, and after giving to Rafferty the latter just shot over. Although Everton were short handled, they were now pressing without being exactly dangerous. Clegg intercepted a pass between Mountford and Jones, and spoiled a threatening movement. Martin dropped the ball in front of the posts, but Sloan took a flying kick, and saved in brilliant fashion. Jones wriggled through the defence, and Scored again. Brown missed a good chance. Interval Everton 2 goals, St helen's Rec nil. At the opening of the second half a movement by the visitors was easily repelled. The Saints endeavored to get away, but did not make such progress. Play was uninteresting, Ingham had an open goal, but missed. However, some capital play by that player and Roberts enabled the Saints to open the score through Cunliffe. Taylor put on an other for the visitors. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Settell, and Crelly, backs, Booth, Taylor, and Chadwick, half-backs, Rafferty, Graham, Cook, Mountford, and Woods, forwards.

December 28, 1907. The Liverpool Football Echo
At Goodison Park, Teams: - Everton: - Christopher, goal, Abbott, and Crelly, backs, Black Booth, and Rafferty, half-backs, Chetwood, Graham, Mason Cook, and Winterhalmer forwards. St Helens Town: - Nisbet, goal, Yates, and Arnold, backs, Dixon, Stanton, and Talbott, half-backs, Bromage, French, Banks, Barton, and Birchall, forwards. St Helens were the first to become really dangerous, and in the first minute, French rather easily defeated Christoper. It was obvious from the start that the friendly spirit of the contest had entered into the game in no unmistakable manner. There was a marked absence of anything approaching seriousness on the part of any of the players. Mason at length aroused some slight enthusisium by sending in a fine shot, which just shaved the crossbar. Then Chetwood forced an unproductive corner. At the other end Barton shot over, and then Cooke and Booth positively refused a fine opening from a centre by Mason. By easy stages St. Helens removed the venue, and French failed to convert what appeared to be an easy chance. Barton made amends, however, shortly afterwards by beating Christopher for the second time with a beautiful shot, which gave the custodian no possible chance forwards, the interval. The Everton forwards made several attempts to score, but Nisbet's charge was never seriously assailed. Barton's got through for the third time, Christopher saving the original shot, but failing to hold the sphere in order to clear. Half-time Everton nil, St. Helens Town 3. Final Everton 1, St Helens Town 4.

Athletic News - Monday 30 December 1907
Sheffield Wednesday 1, Everton 2
By Tityrus
Amid the “bleared white visage of a sunless winter day,” with patches of snow on the ground, with players manifestly tired, Sheffield Wednesday and Everton met for the first time since their final battle for the Association Cup last April. But the Sydenham struggle was not refought. In the first place, George Simpson, the man whose head caused the Cup to go-visit Sheffield, found that an injured ankle would not allow him to run. I have seen footballers go through a game with a presence of pace, but Simpson is a man of another stamp. As Chapman had been indisposed he felt too weak to rouse us with his wonderful vitality. Thus the wing forwards were not the regular men; indeed. They were quite irregular. But the Everton eleven was a curiosity. So many of the familiar faces and figures were missing owing to casualties and illness. As Sloan was in goal and his backs were Stevenson and Strettle, the defence was that of the reserve team who rank first among the clubs in the Lancashire Combination. Macconnachie was at right half-back, and Donnachie at outside right, and Mountford at inside left. Thus six members of the party did not play at the Crystal Palace.  If Adamson and Jones, the Prescot pivot, had been able to take their places as expected we should have seen a new Everton. Nevertheless, there was an agreeable spice of novelty.
The game was quite of a common-place description, although Hardman commenced as if he intended to atone for the absence of Settle and sharp. His desire to be three single gentlemen rolled into one did him credit. He played vivacious football and gave Brittleton and Layton every opportunity to show their skill. Layton embraced the chance. Hardman was well supported by Mountford and Young. On the other side Andrew Wilson with long passes was crashing the ball out to the wings, but he might as well have tried to force his own way through the serried ranks in blue.  But Wilson did another thing. He gently nudged Young in the back. And the referee saw him do it, so that there was a free kick. Makepeace placed the ball nicely, and near the penalty line Young took possession and with a lightning shot struck the underside of the cross-bar and gave his side the lead at the end of twenty-eight minutes. Wilson’s was a very small sin, and the retribution was swift and devastating, especially as Wednesday could not get on terms prior to the interval. Following a grand piece of play by Wilson;  Bradshaw made a deadly drive which Sloan was glad to tip over the bar. On yet another occasion, in the midst of a fierce attack, Sloan picked the ball as it was likely to curl inside the post. The Hibernain-Scotsman who is a rare custodian, had not much to do, but they were teasing shots that he did field. Nor was Lyall a spectator, for Donnachie, Hardman, and Macconnachie tested his ability.
In the second half Wednesday disputed the issue rather better and both custodians showed their mettle. At the end of twenty-four minutes Wednesday equalized. A free kick was given for a contravention of the rule as to a throw-in Macconnachie. Bartlett dropped the ball right in the goalmouth and Napier headed into the net—so that the first goal of each side was of a very similar character and was the sequel of a free kick from the same locality. There were times when Wednesday were so penned in their own danger zone that they were glad to concede three corner kicks in' succession, and Mountford once looked like scoring, bat the ball struck a defender. However, four minutes from the finish Taylor made a neat pass on the ground to Donnachie, who made such a nice centre that Bolton was able register the winning goal.
Beyond ail question Everton deserved to win because they had the more effective forwards and a defence which resisted considerable pressure at one period in the second half.  It was a triumph for the young men from the Combination, and if the standard of football in that federation produces men of the stamp I saw on Saturday then the matches must be worth seeing. Sloan is a finished goalkeeper. We saw that when he appeared for the Irish League at Manchester. Stevenson and Strettle are sturdy and reliable young backs. Without any unnecessary show they are quite strong. Nor were they flurried when Andrew Wilson bore down upon them. Neither his weight nor his reputation as a shot and Scotland's last centre disturbed the equanimity of these youths. I do not want to rush into any extravagant praise after seeing them on one occasion, as I would like to see them against bolder forwards, but I liked them. Strettle had the more opportunity, but I was pleased with the way Stevenson covered his goal and kept an eye on Wilson. I was disappointed with Macconnachie.  Surely a half-back of his fame in Scotland ought to know the law regulating a throw-in.  He was actually penalized three times for not placing both feet on the touch-line in the act of throwing, and his third offence produced the only goal Sheffield obtained.  Moreover, while Macconnachie was time and again most serviceable in defence there was a lack of finish, of placing power and life about his game that surprised me considering the way he was be lauded before he left Scotland. Evidently he has a praiseworthy partiality for a shot at goal—an excellent trait in a half-back. He must surely be a better player than I feel warranted in saying on his exhibition in the only match that I have seen him play. Makepeace, in spite of a bound-up ankle and a knee recently injured, was the cleverest half-back on the field, for he gave his wing every opportunity, and had too much pace for either Maxwell or Bradshaw. Hardman was in wonderful form, and the best forward on view.  He has all the reasserting properties of a piece of elastic web. Mountford is a capital inside left who is very loyal to his partner and equal to taking the ball as it comes and making good use of it All the same he should practice drawing the defence. Young, Bolton, and Donnachie were all worthy off commendation-and for an outside right Donnachie has a telling left foot.
Lyall was the best man in the Wednesday team.  Of that I have no doubt –even though he could gather the ball. It is questionable if there be at this time a safer goalkeeper than Lyall.  The backs were sound.  Even admitting that Layton was lucky once or twice in his rushes his tactics were excellent, his returns of nice distance, and occasionally he came through with the ball and placed it with advantage. The half backs were serviceable, but not in their happiest vein. Napier, who is quite a Stripling, from Wallsend Park Villa, is one of the fourteen Northern men on the books of the Wednesday. He had a clinging affection for Young, but he has to learn, the grand secret of opening out the game.  He should remember that a centre half back should be the flywheel, and set the whole machine in motion. Neither Maxwell nor Foxall finished their runs well, and both were accorded many opportunities. I sighed for the regular men. If the Everton eleven were satisfied with the understudies. Bradshaw was about the moat penetrative and dangerous forward, for Wilson did little beyond feeding the weak wings. But no amount of feeding could make them wrong. Stewarts shooting was never in evidence, and he appeared to me feeble at close quarters both with ball and man. Wednesday seem as if they want a tonic, although the loss of Simpson and Chapman was appalling.  Sheffield Wednesday; Lyall; Layton, Burton; Brittleton, Napier, Bartlett; Maxwell, Bradshaw, Wilson, Stewart, and Foxall.  Everton; Sloan; Stevenson, Macconanchie; Taylor, Makepeace, Strettle; Donnachie, Bolton, Young, Mountford, and H.P. Hardman.  Referee; A.E. Farrant, Bristol.  

December 30 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Though disappointment have been experienced Everton wound up the first half of the season with a decidedly creditable performance. They visited Owlverton-park and returned with a couple of points. By two goals to one they had some revenge on Sheffield Wednesday for the English Cup-tie reverse last April. The victory too was all the more acceptable, inasmuch as injuries illness and other causes prevented some of the regular League players from assisting the club. That with so many reserves the Cupholders should have been vanquished on their own enclosure speaks well for the ability, which is at the command of the Everton directors. The position of the reserve team at the lead of the Lancashire Combination is pretty good evidence of the strength of the youngsters, many of whom are undoubledy fir for any League team in the country. The elder players who have rendered the club valuable service cannot be expected to last forever, and it is satisfactory to find that there are good young men to take their players when the necessity to call upon them arises.
It was an ideal day for football though bitterly cold from the point of view of the spectators. Instead of the mud and slush of the last few weeks the ground was hard, with a thin mantle of snow covering it. Naturally the ball was livelier than usual but after all it was the same for both sides. The Everton representatives fumbled to the situation at once, and from the start there was a liveness and a method about their movements, which certainly was not suggestive of defeat. On the other hand there was little cohesion among the Sheffield attack, while the Everton reserves defence were rarely in difficulty. The game had been in progress half an hour before the first goal arrived. The Evertonians had been responsible for the bulk of the pressure, and it was only right on the run of the play that the efforts should have been rewarded. It was moreover, an excellently worked for goal, Strettell kicked well up the field, Taylor seized upon the ball, and passing at the right moment to Young, the centre forward put some power behind his shot, Lyall was taken unawares, and the ball striking the under part of the crossbar and passed into the net. This was the only score upto the interval. In the earlier portion of the second half the cupholders, because more aggressive, and Sloan and his backs had an opportunity of proving their worthy. The custodian was eventually beaten by a header from Napier, but for this he could in no way be blained, Instead of discouraging them this seemed to give additional impetus to the visiting team, whose forwards were exceedingly energetic. Three minutes from time, after good work by Donnachie, Bolton obtained the last and the winning goal for his side.
As already indicated the win was thoroughly warranted by the general run of the play. Everton were successful on their merits. The played the smarter football. Though the scoring was done by two old hands in Young and Bolton, the younger players had no small share of the honours. The combination defenders- Sloan, Stevenson, and Strettell –passed through a trying ordeal with infinite credit. Everton are fortunate in possessing such an efficient understudy to Scott. Stevenson and Strettell know each other's play, and though on Saturday the former was the more effective back, his partner was responsible for much successful tackling and kicking. The halves -MaConnachie, Taylor, and Makepeace –were an excellent trio. It seems as if the proper position for MaConnachie has been found. He played really fine game at right half, attendency to break the rule as to throws-in being a fault, which can easily be remedied. The forward line was full of go, and the whole five worked well together. Young was in a happy humour, and football spectators know what that means. Hardman up to the time he was injured in a collision with Lyall, played a fine game, and he was usefully assisted by Mountford, Donnachie and Bolton on the right were always in the picture, the former improving as the game progressed, and the latter having the honour of scoring the winning goal. Teams: - Sheffield Wednesday: - Lyall, goal, Layton, and Burton backs, Brittleton Napier, and Bartlett half-backs, Maxwell, Bradshaw, Wilson Stewart, and Foxhall, forwards. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Stevenson and Strettell, backs, McConnachie, Taylor (Captain), and Makepeace, half-backs, Donnachie, Bolton, Young, Mountford, and Hardman, forwards. Referee A.H.Farrent.



December 1907