Everton Independent Research Data




December 2, 1908. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 13)

At Goodison-Park yesterday in foggy weather Everton defeated Colne by 6 goals to 2. It was almost impossible at times to follow the progress of the game from the press box, and little could be seen of the play towards the finish. Everton were the better side, and with more steadiness near goal would have piled up a big score. On the slippery turf, however, it was not an easy matter to shoot with precision, and all the goals were put on at close quarters. Everton scored soon after the start through Chetwood as the outcome of a fine run by Crews, and just before the interval Jones put on a second goal. Colne's forward were only moderate this half, but they were unlucky in not scoring. The visitors claimed that a shot from Lewis had crossed the line before being sent behind. All they got was a corner, from which they hit the bar. Early in the second half, Timmins scored for the visitors. Chetwood replying with another goal, for Everton. Timmins once more hit the bar, but Colne scored again from a penalty taken by Lee. Jones then put on a fourth for Everton, who added two more in the closing stages, though who scored it was not possible to tell owing to the fog. A feature of the play was the capital work of Crews who at outside left made many fine runs and centred accurately every time. Two of the goals were from his centres, and more would have resulted but, for bad shooting by the other forwards. Evertom had a big advantage forward, while Borthwick played a capital game at centre half. Despite the score against him, Bairstow kept a good goal for Colne, while Leak at back, Neild at half, and Timmins the inside right rendered good service. The following were the teams: - Everton: - Berry, goal, Osborne, and Strettell, backs, Pratt, Borthwick, and Rafferty, half-backs, Buck, Chetwood, Jones, Bolton, and Crews, forwards. Colne: - Bairstow, goal, Lowe, and Leah, back, Nield, Lee, and Plews, half-backs, McGrain, Timmins, Danson Lewis, and Tracy, forwards.



December 3, 1908. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.


At the Lancashire Football Association meeting at Preston last night, a letter of explanation was read from Everton Football Club as to a weak team played in the Semi-Final of the Lancashire Senior Cup-tie against Liverpool. Medical certificates were sent regarding certain players, it was considered that the certificates, did not explain the whole of the absentees, and it was unanimously decided that Everton Football Club be fined £100; and also forfeit to the Association their shares of the gate receipts of the match. This represents £90 to £100, so that Everton's total penalty is nearly £200. It will be remembered the Association only recently fine Everton for playing a weak team in a previous tie against Blackpool.



December 7, 1908. The Liverpool Courier .




The League leaders and the champions gave an exhibition worthy of their high reputations at Goodison-park on Saturday Everton prevailed by three goals to two, and not even the most ardent supporters of Manchester United could begrudge the Evertonians their victory. They were always the better team, even though the champions did open the score, but there was so little in it that interest was maintained right to the end. It was a great struggle, befitting the occasion of a benefit to two Everton's most faithfully servants –Harry Makepeace and Robert Balmer. The prospect of witnessing two of the finest teams in the country fighting for points would, under any circumstances, have attracted a big crowd, but it was particularly pleasing on account of the beneat to find that the gate realised upwards of £1,000. As a matter of fact, the amount of the cheque which each received on Saturday night was £500 10s 6d. The Everton directors never do things in half-hearted fashion. They arranged a little dinner, to which all the club's players, and officials were invited, and it fell to Mr., E. A. Bainbridge the chairman to hand over cheques to the amount stated to the grateful beneficiaries.


But to the game itself, it started as it finished with rare determination on both sides. Right away Young tested Moger with a terrific shot, and only four minutes had elapsed when the champions were a goal to the good. Harold Hardman raced past Harris, and middling the ball in his old style, Halse had Scott beaten, though apparently ere it reached the net, the ball glided MaConnachie. The success had no depressing effect upon the Evertonians, whose brilliant work roused the enthusiasm of the crowd, Young was a hest in himself, but it was from a pass by Sharp that Freeman fastened onto the ball, and in his own characteristic manner raced past all opposition, and scored a great goal. Incident followed incident, and though no other goals were forthcoming before the interval, Everton, on the play, certainly deserved to lead. The resumption partook of the sensational order. A raid on the Everton goal was soon repelled, and in a twinkling the home side were one ahead. This time Barlow did the trick. Taking the ball from Freeman, he put in a tremendous drive, and following up he caused Moger to drop the ball, with the result that the amateur tipped it over the line. The Manchester men never gave in, and following a throw in a magnificent shot by Bannister again equalised matters. Then it was a fight for a deciding goal, and this welcome reward came the way of Everton, who had to thank Freeman once more for a fine effort. It was a desperate struggle to the finish, a really grand game ending in favour of the Evertonians by three goals to two.


Bot sets of players are to be complimented upon a capital display of the finer points of Association football. The game, too, was contested in the best spirit. Everton undoubtedly held an advantage forward, although at times Sharp appeared afraid to let himself go, and Coleman sustained am injury, which prevented him doing himself, anything like justice. In the later stages of the proceedings these players changed places, and it was while figuring at inside right that the captain was most prominent. Apart from his two goals –they were beauties –Freeman always in the picture. Young was the most resourceful on the field. His play at times was simply bewilding to his opponents, but why didn't he walk that ball into the net when he had a glorious chance instead of lofting it over the bar. Nothing more need be said about Barlow than that he played his best game since accession to the Everton ranks. As for the halves it is no discredit to Taylor that he had to take a back seat to Makepeace and Harris. Makepeace's play was a treat to watch, and it is some time since the redoubtable Meredith had to deal with such a warm customer. Balmer and MaConnachie were both in splendid trim, and Scott kept charge with his accustomed success. Manchester United obviously missed Turnbull in the front line, although Halse was by no means ineffective in the centre forward position. Hardman was tricky now and again, but neither Balmer nor Harris allowed him much chance of shinning. Altogether man for man the winners compared favourably with their antagonists. Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman Freeman, Young, and Barlow, forwards. Manchester United: - Moger, goal, Stacey, and Hayes, backs, Meredith, Roberts, and Bell, half-back, Hardman, Livingstone, Halse, Bannister and Wall, forwards.



December 7, 1908. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 14)

While their seniors were disposing of the League champions Everton Reserves were defeating Manchester United Reserves, and thus completed the double event. The margin in favour of the Blues' second string was 3 goals to 1, and was thoroughly deserved. The forward play of Everton quite took the fancy of the Clayton crowd, and Jones in particular had reason to be satisfied with his afternoon's work, for he scored all the Everton goals. Crews, after his clever display against Colne, was given another opportunity, and performed well, as did Lacey on the other wing. The halves did well, while the defenders got through their little work with cleverness and despatch, the United scoring their goal in the last minute.



December 10 1908. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury

The question of T. Booth's transfer to Carlise was deterred until an agreement has been reached.



December 14, 1908. The Liverpool Courier.



Everton gained the narrowest possible victory over Sheffield Wednesday at Goodison Park on Saturday. Nothing could have been more satisfactory than the acquisition of a couple of points, but for all that the standard of play by no stretch of imagination could be described as above the average. It was not Everton's real form, and under the circumstances, a win by a goal to nothing was quite acceptable. Although below form, Everton were value for their victory, inasmuch' as they compared more than favourably with their Sheffield antagonists. Each attack seemed to fall to pieces when in sight of goal, and the fault was much more noticeable on the Sheffield side than on that of the home vanguard. For the first time for weeks the leaders made a couple of changes from the team which had escaped defeat since the early part of September. That greathearted player Jack Taylor was given a well-earned rest, and at the last moment it was found that Coleman's injured leg had not sufficiently recovered to allow off his taking his place on the field. Thus there was room for White, the consequence being that the two recent captures from Bolton Wanderers had their baptism under the auspiece of the new club.


The game, though fought in keen enough spirit, was unproductive so far as the nicer points of play are concerned. The Blades started against the wind in rather promising fashion, but they rarely afforded the home defenders any real anxiety, Young who was lucky though erratic had the ball in the net only to be ruled offside. White on more than one occasion caught the eye, but try as they would the Everton quintette seemed unable to produce anything in the nature of the combination of which, they are capable. For all that they always gave one the impression that they had some reserves force. Barlow just topped the bar, and Freeman, though provided with openings, was too well looked after by McConnell to do desperate deeds. The visiting forwards showed really capable form in midfield, but when nearing for goal Balmer and MaConnachie were altogether too much for them, the consequence being that Scott was only occasionally troubled. Lyall had more calls upon him than his vis-à-vis, and managed to maintain a clean record up to the interval. Hardy had the game been resumed than the one and only Freeman added to his already long list of goals. Receiving from Young, he dashed ahead, and although Lyall stopped his shot, Freeman followed up, and ere the custodian could clear the Everton centre had the ball in the net. In some respects it might have appeared a lucky point, or, rather unlucky for Lyall. For all that, there was no detraction so far as regarded Freeman from the credit, which was his due. This goal proved to be the only one of the match. True, Freeman netted once again, only to find the point disallowed. One need not suggest that the referee's ruling was wrong, but some of his decisions especially in the later stages, seemed rather curious.


It was a game in which there was no outstanding player. As already indicated, the work of the Everton forwards was of the scrappy order, which has not been associated with the home quintette for some weeks past. Naturally interest centred in the performance of White, who partnered Sharp. It is perhaps unfair to be too critical –a similar remark applies to Clifford –in respect of a player's first appearance with new comrades. White exhibited clever touches, which suggest that he is capable of rendering good work in the Everton front line. Certainly he fed Sharp time after time in true workman-like fashion, and there was a spirit of determination about his play, which promises to be of value to his new club. Clifford was not quite so successful. At times his headwork was really brilliant, but for effective breaking up of the opposing attack he was quite overshadowed by Makepeace and Harris. Both Balmer and MaConnachie maintained a solid defence against the erratic, though at times dangerous rushes of the Wednesday front line. Neither Scott nor Lyall had much to do, and this is testimony both to the cleverness of the defence and the comparative ineffectiveness of both sets of forwards. Altogether Everton earned their victory, though failing to give of their best. Teams: - Scott, goals, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Clifford, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), White, Freeman, Young, and Barlow, forwards. Sheffield Wednesday: - Lyall, goal, Layton and Burton, backs, Brittleton, McConnell, and Bartlett, half-backs, Lloyd, Bolland Wilson (Captain), Chapman, and Forrall forwards.



December 14, 1908. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One. (Game 15)

Few clubs return from Worthington with even a point, so that Everton did well to effect a draw at the Cumberland town. The score was two goals all –on the whole a fair reflex of a very hard game. Everton were a goal behind at the interval but had the advantage after the chance of ends, and might even have won had the Workington defenders shown any falling off. Jones got his usual goal for Everton (on this occasion from a penalty) while Bolton did the needful after the change of ends. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson and Meunier, backs, Platt, Borthwick, and Rafferty, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Jones, Bolton, and Crews, forwards.



December 21, 1908. The Liverpool Courier.



Everton have established a record for the season, of which the management players and supporters alike are justifiably proud. The “Blues” are the only club in the League, which can boast of an unbeaten “away” certificate. Until Saturday last they shared the honour with Blackburn Rovers. But, while the Rovers were vanquished by the United of Newcastle, the Evertonians visited Leicester and with consummate ease gained a victory over the Fosse by two goals to nil. Thus Everton's remarkable record. Before the end of the year they have only another match to play away from Goodison Park, and that is with Notts County on Boxing Day. It would be a pity if this were to prove their undoing. However, we have faith in the progress of the Everton team to maintain their unique record until at least the New Year is welcome. The performance in away fixtures are worth reading. Here they are: - V Woolwich Arsenal 1-0, v Bristol City 2-0, v Middlesbrough 3-2, v Liverpool 1-0, v Sheffield United 5-1, v Notts Forest 2-1, v Chelsea 3-3 v Bradford City 1-1, and V Leicester Fosee 2-0. Of the eighteen points at stake Everton have captured to and possess a goal account of 23 to 8. This is an achievement unequalled in modern League football.


It was by no means a great game at Leicester, but at no time did Everton look like losing. As a matter of fact those who have followed the Evertonians this season –barring those early finascos against Woolwich Arsenal and Preston North End –have seen them exhibit such grand football that they are inclined to expect them always to be on the top of their form. The Sheffield Wednesday game was nothing like as good as that against the League champions, and so on. Saturday the play was nothing out of the ordinary –that is from an Everton point of view. But the Leicester crowd being accustomed apparently to class football found much to admire in Everton's work. They scarcely expected their favourities to win, and though they gave them plenty of vocal encouragement they accepted the situation like sportsman, and frankly –judging by what we heard in the stand –Everton's right to the spoil. There was a suggestion that both goals were of the lucky order. And there was some justification for the comments. The goals certainly were not of the brilliant description, which we have had served up of late, and both followed free kicks. The first was the direct outcome of a free kick from just beyond the penalty area take by Sharp. The Everton skipper spotted a opening in the Fosse armour and bang went the ball in that direction. Starbuck getting his hands to the ball without being able to divert it outside the net. Young soon followed with another goal, which ensued upon another freekick. This time after some skilful manipulation, Young shot in hard, and the ball striking the underpart of the bar, found the desired haven. Twenty minutes had gone, but there was no more scoring on either side, although Everton in particular had several good chances. On one occasion Freeman worked his way through, and appeared a certained scorer, but evidently thwarted by an onrushing defender. Leicester Fosse had more of the game in the later periods, but this was due not so much to any ability they made, but to the easing up tactics of the Evertonians.


In point of cleverness, there was no comparison between the two sides. The Evertonians did better on the narrow sticky ground than one anticipated. The defence especially was a revelation to the Leicester football public. Scott was so well covered that he had few calls upon him. Balmer kicked with judgement and tackled resolutely but MaConnachie was quite the outstanding back on the field. Alike in coolness and judgement he excelled himself and gave as fine an exhibition of left back play as one could wish to see. The halves had no great stress of work, and it was satisfactory to note that Clifford in the middle position improved upon his previous week's display. He did not loft the ball as much, and for the most part indulged in ground passes with nice discretion. There was no particular star among the forward line. Freeman failed for the first time in eleven matches to figure amongst the scorers, but this was through no want of attention on the part of his colleaguers, who afforded him openings which if he had been in form, would have been turned to account. There is this, however, to be said for him, that he was closely watched by the Fosse centre half, Webster, who for a second appearance in League football performed in very promising style. Leicester Fosse are not a good team. The latest display explains their lowly position in the League table. They want some forwards who can shot. Those who were doing duty on Saturday were hopeless when it came to put the finishing touch upon quite passable midfield play. Leicester Fosse were without their amateur goalkeeper, Bailey, but it would be unfair to suggest that his deputy, Starbuck, was responsible for the defeat. Teams: - Leicester Fosse: - Starbuck, goal, Hedley, and Mackie, backs, Pollock (Captain), Webster, and Goldie, half-backs, Dorset, Donnelly, Husband, Asowen and Turner, forwards. Everton: - Scott R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris Clifford, and Makepeace, half-backs Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young, and Barlow, forwards. Referee N. McNeil.



December 21, 1908. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One. (Game 16)

Nelson accomplished a fine performance by playing Everton to a draw at Goodison-park on Saturday, the score being three goals each. In the initial half the Blues were immeasurably the superior team, but the visitors defence played a resolute game, and only two goals were scored, Bolton, and Couper being the executants. The second half opened disastrously for the home side, Balmer turning a centre by Gow into his own goal. Jones them scored the best goal of the match, shooting from the outside line into the far corner of the net. The game then turned in favour of the visitors, who attacked with vigour, and after a splendid run and centre by Gow, Buckley scored. Barlow equalising with a long shot just on time. Jones in the unusual position of outside right, was far, and away the best man on the Everton side, but he received little assistance from his colleagues. In the defence Rafferty was the most successful performer although he was opposed to the smartest wing on view. Becton and Gow were the most prominent of the visitors forwards, the latter player, by the way, being a local ma. Nelson had a strong pair of backs, and a capital custodian. Everton: - Berry goal, W. Balmer, and Meunier, backs, Pratt, Borthwick, and Rafferty, half-backs, Jones, Bolton, Couper White, and Lacey, forwards.



December 26, 1908. The Liverpool Courier.


When the whistle went for “time” at Goodison-Park yesterday Everton's run of success had been interrupted most uncomfortably, and in the most exasperating been unbeaten, but against Notts County yesterday, though they had the bulk of the play, and most of the chances they lost by the only goal of the match. They were not defeated for want of trying, nor for want of skill in midfield. It was poor shooting and one fatal mistake by Scott that brought about the downfall. The game started briskly, and each side paid a visit to the other's end of the field. Then it seemed as if the Notts goal was going to be captured, for the visiting halves failed altogether to hold Sharp and White (vice Coleman, injured), and at close range the latter passed suddenly to Young, who screwed in a low, quick shot. The lengthy, Iremonger was taken by surprise, but just reached the ball and cleared. From this Notts were dangerous on the left, but not sufficiently so to give the home supporters any need for alarm. The County's forward work at this stage was sufficiently dashing, as, indeed, it was all, through the game, but they had not settled down to the nice combination they occasionally showed later on in the first half. Then came another tottering of the Notts goal and the crowd rose to great excitement. The incident commenced with a shot by White, and in throwing away. Iremonger, who had stepped just outside his goal was hustled over the line with the ball. From the corner kick Everton kept play for some minutes right in front, and then Balmer put to Freeman. The centre-forward was in a lovely position, and the chance was golden, but he shot high over the bar. It was the first of the series of mistakes, not to be it understood, all by him, but by others in the forward line, which continued all through the match. Before half time the County men had no occasional spell of pressure, but the bulk of the play was in the home side's favour.


Just after the interval there came the lucky goal which sealed the fate of the match. Notts were getting nicely along, but nothing serious seemed threatened, when Walker sent in a long shot. Scott stood in the centre of the goalmouth watching it, apparently thinking the ball was going wide, and the next second it was in the net. The whole thing was so unexpected that even Notts did not at first realise that they had scored, and the Everton supporters could only marvel at what had happened. The explanation probably is that a gust of wind caught the ball and turned it into the goal, but whatever the explanation, there it was, and Everton could do was to try to get level. This they did, but Notts have a great defence, and aided by a little luck, they held out to the end. There were at least two occasions on which Everton deserved a goal. Once when Freeman hit the post with a terrific shot, with Iremonger all the time completely beaten, and later Barlow hit the crossbar.


Almost all the Everton chances in the second half came from the magnificent play of Sharp, the one forward of the home brigade who did himself justice. Had it been possible for one man alone to break down the iron defence, he must have succeeded, and it was pitiful to see his work wasted time after time. The half-backs were good, Taylor, who appeared in place of Clifford, playing with all his old skill. The backs also were sound, though their kicking was at times a little at fault. With the exception of the one mistake. Scott's goalkeeping was equal to his great reputation. As for Notts, the game was won for them by the defence. Three men have rarely worked harder and to more purpose than Morley. Montgomeryt, and Iremonger. The half-backs were good, and of the forwards, Dean and Walker were the most conspicuous. Teams : - Everton: - Scott goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs Sharp (Captain), White, Freeman, Young, and G.H. Barlow, forwards Notts County: - Iremonger, goal, Morley and Montogomery, backs, Emberton, Cramp, and Craythorne, half-backs, Dean, Matthews, Cantrell, Dodd, and Walker, forwards. Referee F.H. Dennis.



December 26, 1908. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 17)

At Southport, before about 5,000 spectators. Central started, and within the first ten minutes Graham scored for Central. For half-an-hour play ruled even, and then from a pass by Dawson Jones headed through the home goal. Everton continued to press until the interval when the teams crossed over Centrel leading by two goals to one. In the second half Gates put in a corner kick with great judgement, and Berry tipped it the wrong side of the line. With the score three to one, Centrel looked certain of a win, but Jones scored from a penalty kick from a fault by Taylor, and then in the last minute, the same player put on an equalising point, and the match ended in a draw of three each. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Strettell, backs Pratt, Borthwick, and Rafferty, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Jones, Bolton and Dawson, forwards.



December 28, 1908. The Liverpool Courier.


Everton have completed engagement for the first half of the season and have still an unbeaten “away” certificate. This is, indeed, a performance upon which Mr. Bainbridge and his colleagues in the management, the players, the trainer, and all concerned are entitled to hearty congratulations. The curious fact is that where Everton have throwaway points has been at Goodison, park. There were those two inexplicable defeats in September, when Woolwich Arsenal and Preston North End prevailed and, of course the Christmas Day reverse, administered by Notts County. Singularly enough in each of the fixtures Everton failed to score. They did likewise on Saturday when their conquerors of the previous day could no more than share the honours of a goalless draw at Trent Brigade. It is worthy of mention that in seven successive engagements Notts County have only had one goal scored against them, and that was when Bradford City drew last Saturday week at Trent Bridge. There is no doubt that the County players meant if possible to spoil Everton's “away” record, and it was certainly through no lack of energy on their part that Everton did not concede both points.


The game attracted the largest crowd that has ever been seen at a football match at Trent Bridge. The ground is not calculated to hold comfortably more than about 20,000 people, but more than that number must have been present. So great was the crush outside that certain of the gates were rushed and spectators adopted all sorts of devices –dangerous or not did not seem to matter –in order to catch a glimpse of the play. Unquestionably the game was one of the most determinedly contested in which Everton have participated this season. In sporting parlance the Notts County men were “out for blood.” In the first half they could claim an undoubted advantage. They simply tried to rush through the visiting defence. they were always looking for work, and the tactics of certain of their defenders, were by no means of a lady-like description. There was not such science about their methods, but they used their weight, and threw themselves into the fray, with wonderful enthusiasm. Fortunately, the Everton defence held out gallantly. They never lost their heads and no matters, how shots came Scott gave one the impression that he would never be beaten. His saves particularly from cantrell, Matthews, and Morley, were brilliant in the extreme. While Everton had the worse of the first half they turned the tables after the change of ends so much so that viewing the game as a whole, a goalless draw was a fair reflex of the proceedings. Both sides missed chances, and once the Notts goal had a marvellous escape. Young had banged the ball in and Iremonger was at fault. He dropped the leather, and just before an Everton man could get up Griffiths dashed in and kicked it out of danger. This was a relief to the Notts spectators. The energy of both sets of players was never relaxed to the final blowing of the whistle, which brought welcome relief to players whose stamina had been fully taxed.


As already indicated, Scott in goal was in his happiest mood. He picked up and fisted away in the manner of a\ born goalkeeper. Though MaConnachie was suffering from a painful injury to his foot he played a rare good game. His partner Stevenson –R. Balmer at the last moment was unable to make the journey to Nottingham through illness, -also acquitted himself most creditable. Ever alert, he anticipated danger, and though he made mistakes, his display proved to be a right back of merit. Indeed on one occasion his judgement in running across the goalmouth and taking the ball from Dean's toe prevented an almost certain score. The halves –Harris, Clifford, and Makepeace –were all good, the centre man continuing to show improvement. Young was the outstanding figure in the attack. Freeman was not as successful as usual, either in distributing the play or in his own individual efforts. Barlow, despite the close attentions of Emberton displayed wonderful pluck, and white was an effective partner to Sharp, putting in one of the finest shots of the match. Notts County certainly possesses a strong defence. With Morley and Montgomery in front of Iremonger one can understand the fact that the County have had fewer goals scored against them than any other club in the League. The team do not play a scientific game, but they never miss a chance of going for the ball. Hence their recent successes. Teams: - Notts County: - Iremonger, goal, Morley, and Montgomery, backs, Emberton, Clamp, and Craythone, half-backs, Dean, Matthews, Cantrell, Dodds, and Walker, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, Stevenson, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Clifford, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), White, Freeman, Young, and Barlow, forwards. Referee P.H. Dennis.



December 28, 1908. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 18)

Everton Reserves succumbed top St Helens Recs, at Goodison-park by three goals to one. At the opening the Glassmen displayed fine combination and dash. The game had only been in progress five minutes when Hamlett defeated Berry with a well-judged header from a corner taken by Cunliffe. This early reverse had a stimulating effect on the home team, and shot after shot was rained at Doig, but the ex-Liverpool custodian was not to be defeated. After changing ends the visitors had matters all their own way, and Wildman scored on two occasions. In the concluding stages of the game Jones got away and defeated Doig from close range. The feature of the game was the magnificent custodianship of Doig, the old international saving shots innumerable in his own inimitable style. Hamlett was also conspicuous in the defence, while Wildman proved himself to better marksman of the side. The home team exhibited very poor form, and with the exception of Lacey no player was worthy of mention. Everton: - Berry, goal, W. Balmer, and Strettell, backs, Pratt, Borthwick, and Rafferty, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Jones, Bolton, and Dawson, forwards.



December 31, 1908, The Liverpool Echo.


Hugh Bolton leaves us this day, and tomorrow turns out for a new club. Everton having transferred him yesterday to Bradford Park Avenue, who have been really lacking a class forward. Hugh Bolton came to Everton at a critical moment. McDermott had been transferred, and the club could find no one to take the little dribbling teaser's place. All and sundry were tried, but it was of no use. Everton had to search elsewhere than Walton way for a suitable partner to Jack Sharp. Bolton fitted the position like a glove. I remember well the day he was signed on, nearly three years ago. Mr. Cuff had tried his pervasive powers effect upon the Newcastle United executive. The player, however, was playing billiards and positively refused to leave his game for anyone who was desiring his services. However, later on (I am not sure whether an other journey to the North was necessitated) Bolton decided to come to Everton to fill the breach, in which it may be mentioned. Harry Makepeace had been tried! He did fill it, and with immense satisfaction. His Newcastle style just suited Sharp, and praise was showered upon him, he helped Everton to win the Cup, against his old side, Newcastle United and has played many very bright and useful games for the club. His best scoring work was seen when the club played Oldham Athletic, “down here” (thanks to Settle's ninetieth minute miss at Oldham's charming ground). Bolton had a day out that day, and popped on three or four, the latter, if I remember rightly. He is small of stature, and has a capital idea of forward work. Latterly, however, he hasn't shown his best form, and once Coleman was signed on the inside right position was lost to the ex-Novocastrian. He was transferred to inside left, and there did much good work. This season he was crowded out again, owing to the excellent displays of “sandy “ Young at inside left. Bolton manner causes no one to eavil, but his shooting hasn't enough boot in it.





December 1908