Everton Independent Research Data




December 6, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.



The game between Everton and Middlesbrough on the Ayresome Park enclosure, resulted in a draw, though on the general run of the play Everton were fortunate in securing a division of points. It was remarkable, however, that Middlesbrough obtained a goal was in the nature of a grit. This services to emphisize the fact that while the spoils do not always go to the better team a lucky chance may eventually play a great part in the distribution of honours. The home team were the greater aggressors, and on the chance that came their way it would not have occasioned surprise had they won in comfortable fashion. At the same time the value of the defensive work of the Everton team could not possibly be over estimated. When at times all seemed hopeless there was a resource forthcoming that levelled up matters, and provided a stimulus sufficiently encouraging to any set of forwards. There were several instances of clever anticipation, and daring dashes by the Everton rearguard, and none caught the eve more than a challenge by Harris to Hall, who had completely run through the defence, and was about to apply the finishing touch to what must have resulted in a certain goal. The half-back took a great risk, and was damaged but he accomplished his object and saved his side.


During the early portion of the game there was little difference in the style of play adopted by both sets of forwards. As attacking lines they indulged in some clever footwork in their progess towards goaL, but both met with sturdy opposition when it came to close quarters. It was obvious that methods should be varied and while Everton continued the short passing style of play, the home forwards changed their tactics and in the later stages especially commanded the situation in the only possible way. They swung the ball from wing to wing in a manner that quite upset the methodical calculations of the Everton half-backs and one result of their persistent attack almost brought about a leading point close on time when a drive from Thackeray rebounded from the crossbar. The goals that were recorded may be briefly alluded to. The game had only been four minutes in progress when call put out to common. The latter tipped the ball over Balmer's head, and following up, sent in a slow ground shot, which Scott reached. The ball however, slipped though his hands, and recovering it, he cleared, but the referee ruled that it had crossed the line. Twenty minutes later Coleman, with splendid judgement slipped the ball between Verrill and Watson, and evading a charge pounced upon the leather and gave Williamson absolutely no chance of clearing. It was a brilliant effort and quite the tit-bit of the game.


As may be gathered, there was little room for adverse criticism in Everton's back play. The work of Clifford and Balmer was most effective, although in the closing stages, when the Middlesbrough forwards were desperate for a leading point, they were somewhat over run. Still Scott was there, and those, and though he presented the home side with a point, he kept an otherwise good goal. The half-backs played a hard, untiring game, and more was kept more busily employed than Harris, who looked well after Hall and Thackeray. Borthwick continue to improve, and played by no means a small part in the proceedings, while Makepeace completed a most successful half back line. The forwards were best represented on the right, with Coleman as the star visit of the line. His goal was a beauty, with a least one other effort merited a tangible point. Freeman was unlucky, in spite of being well shadowed, and one of his efforts, immediately after the resumption was useless ordinary circumstances full value for a goal. Left wing play was somewhat discounted by the ineffectiveness of Turner, who rarely seemed to let himself go, though frequently plied with opportunities by Young, who was as clever as he was unselfish. Teams : - Middlesbrough: - Williamson, goal, McLeod, and Watson, backs, Aitken, R. Young, and Verrill, half-backs, Bloomer, Common, Cail, Hall, and Thackeray, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goals, Clifford, and R Balmer, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young, and Turner, forwards. Referee T. Rowbotham.



December 6, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 14)

By the odd goal in three Everton accounted for Southport Central at Goodison Park on Saturday. The proceeds of the match were set apart for the benefit of the widow and family of the late Tom Marriott, but unfortunately the attendance like the game was feeble in the extreme. In the initial half the Blues enjoyed the bulk of the play, and White twice pierced the Sandgrounders goal. After the interval Southport showed a vast improvement and although Berry was only once defeated by Starbrick (W), they had innumerable opportunities, which were usually lost through indifferent shooting and lack of the necessary dash at close quarters. The only interesting item of the match was the display of Maconnachie, who throughout played a dashing and scientific game and was undoubtedly in a class by himself. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie, backs, Allen, Webster, and Weller, half-backs, Michael, Lacey, Jones, White, and Mountford, forwards .



December 13, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Although the country had been visited by an abundant downfall of rain, only one game in the First Division of the League had to be postponed on account of the state of the ground. This was the match, which Everton should have played at Clayton. So thick was the mud that the referee was quite justified in declaring the fixture “off.” As the gates were not opened, Everton, when they revisit the home of the United club, will only be able to claim travelling expenses.



December 13, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 15)

Manchester United's visit to Goodison Park provided Everton with a couple of points, and there can be no gainsaying the fact that the home men deserved their victory by the narrow margin of two goals to one. The ground was in a very heavy state, and all against good football, consequently it was not a scientific display, but what was lacking in the finer points of the game, was fully made up by the energy the men put into their work. Early on Sheldon scored a good goal for the United. The Blues then strove valiantly for an equaliser, but the visitors managed to keep their goal intact up to the interval. On resuming Everton rearranged their forward rank, and the change was an immediate success, for a clever combined movement culminated in Lacey levelling the score. The vanguard was now irresistible, and attack after attack was hurled at the visitors' goal and eventually Jones gave Everton the lead. Subsequent play was all in favour of the home team, but nothing tangible resulted, although Barlow had particular hard lines on several occasions. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and J.H. Bardsley, backs, Allan, Webster, and Weller, half-backs, Jones, Lacey, Gourlay, Barlow, and Mountford, forwards.



December 14, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Cup Final.



Everton gained their success in the Lancashire Cup competition yesterday, when they defeated Blackburn Rovers, ten times winners of the cup and holders of the trophy, by four goals to nil. Everton's last success in the competition was gained as long ago as the season 1896-97, so it cannot be said that they have won out of their turn. Everton were the better side yesterday, and well deserved the honours of victory, but their superiority was chiefly marked in the forward line, for the Rovers' quintette did not play anything like so well as in the recent League match at Goodison Park, their finishing efforts being very poor. Still Everton took their chances –or most of them –and played capital football all round.


Goodison Park was the venue, as Everton had won the toss for choice of grounds, and an attendance of 10,000 spectators showed that the Liverpool Public will support Lancashire Cup-ties when there is a prospect of a good game. The Rovers were without Ashcroft, Bob Crompton, and “Tinker” Davies, but Everton had the same side that should have done duty against Manchester United on Saturday. The Rovers made the pace a warm one from the start, but the Everton defence was very steady and only eight minutes had passed when Coleman scored a grand goal, Sharp having centred well and Makepeace giving the inside right his chance of opening the score. Coleman only just missed adding a second goal with a grand screw shot, and then the Everton goal had a wonderful escape from a corner, Elis Crompton and Latheron clean missing the ball and Garbutt sending wide. Harris retired hurt just before the interval, when Everton led by a goal. Harris was able to resume after the change of ends, and for some time Everton pressed without avail, Murray twice running out and saving well. At the other end Latheron ran thorough, but Scott turned his shot over the bar, and when Everton pressed again Murray saved finely from Coleman. But at the end of a quarter of an hour Freeman scored a second goal from Young's centre, while a shot from Sharp was turning in off the goalkeeper when Suttie dashed in and cleared. Sharp, however, scored a third goal after a fine run twenty minutes from the end, after he had missed a rare chance from a grand centre by Young. Less than ten minutes later White cleverly added the fourth goal at close quarters, Scott made a few saves in the closing stages, and Aitkenhead missed an easy chance, but Everton won comfortably.


A feature of the game was the brilliant work of Coleman, who was the outstanding forward on the field. His tricky footwork was much too good for Bradshaw, while his passes to Sharp and Freeman were models of accuracy and good judgement. Sharp also did well, and Young and White formed a clever left wing, the former doing exceedingly well in the outside position. Freeman had more than his match in Chapman, who all through played finely, and was much the best of the Rovers' halves. Makepeace was the outstanding Everton half, but Borthwick did excellent work alike in attack and defence, and Harris worked hard and with success. No fault could be found with the backs, and Scott did his little work well. Murray, who deputised for Ashcroft, had no chance with the goals, but Bob Crompton was missed at back, though on the whole Suttie did well, and was better than Cowell, who did not shine against a grand right wing. The forwards, though doing well in the open, were very weak near goal –a failing which accounted in a great measure for the big margin between the teams at the finish. The teams were: - Everton: - Scott goal, Clifford, and R Balmer, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Young, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Murray, goal, Suttie, and Cowell, backs, Walmsley, Chapman, and Bradshaw, half-backs, Garbutt, Latheron, Crompton, Aitkenhead, and Bracegridle, forwards.



The following is a list of pass winners of the trophy: -





Preston North End




Blackburn Rovers


Blackburn Rovers




Blackburn Rovers


Newton Heath


Blackburn Rovers




Blackburn Rovers


Preston North End


Bolton Wanderers


Blackburn Rovers


Preston North End


Blackburn Rovers








Blackburn Rovers




Southport Central


Bolton Wanderers






Blackburn Rovers


Preston North End


Oldham Athletic




Blackburn Rovers




December 16, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Bolton Wanderers have secured the transfer from Everton of Hugh Adamson; the promising young half-back. Adamson has done sterling work for Everton Reserves in the Lancashire Combination, and has appeared twice this season for the senior team.



December 20, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.



Wretched weather and a saturated ground to a large extent spoiled what was expected to be a fine game at Goodison Park between Everton and Bradford City. With the heavy going mistakes on both sides were numerous, but still the teams are to be complimented upon the brave exhibition they gave under trying conditions. There was no slackening of effort throughout what must have seemed to the players a long ninety minutes. A slice of luck might have given the honours of the game to either side. As it was a division of the points was a fitting result of a strenuous struggle, in which a goal fell to both teams. After Saturday's display one can quite understand Bradford City having averted defeat since the last week of October.


The first half was fruitless in the matter of goals. In was not that no chances were forthcoming, but that openings were missed by the forwards. Whittingham usually a safe shot, was the greatest offender on the visiting side, while Freeman, Sharp, and Coleman might have scored for the Blues. The Evertonians started the second portion as if they meant to overwhelm the opposition. But the Bradford defenders are not easily overcome, while their forwards quickly showed that they, too, could be quite as troublesome as the other quintette. Nearly twenty minutes had gone when Everton's success arrival. It was a grand goal, too, for which the young amateur, G.H. Barlow, who was making a welcome reappearance, was entitled to almost equal credit with the scorer, Freeman. The centre forward received within his own half and drawing the backs sent out to Barlow, who was the only forward in position, the amateur dashed away, and when approached by Torrance passed back to Freeman, who tipped the ball past Maskrey as he came out to save. Only a few minutes had elapsed when the Tykes equalised. This also was a good goal. Bond was too nippy for Balmer, and just as the ball seemed to be going over the line he cleverly whipped it across the goalmouth for O'Rourke to head into the net. It was a hard struggle to the end, both keepers having dangerous shots to negotiate.


It was a game in which the defence shone in comparison with the attack. The home shooting was open to very considerable improvement, even admitting the treacherous nature of the ground. Sharp and Coleman were the better wing, although Barlow, who was full of go and fearless to a degree, showed that he has by no means forgotten the art of centring the ball. Freeman made up for several lapses by that delightful effort of his in conjunction with the ameteur. Borthwick again gave a capital exhibition at centre half, and indeed, little fault could be found with the defence, although Balmer at times had more than he could manage in Bond and Whittingham. Bradford City have a strong team fore and aft –just the sort of side that is likely to go far in both the League and Cup Competition. They are a bustling lot, and in a smart forward line probably no one is better than Spiers. Teams : - Everton: - Scott, goal, Clifford, and R. Balmer, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp, Coleman, Freeman, White, and Barlow, forwards. Bradford City: - Maskery, goal, Torrance, and Chaplin, backs, Robinson, Cowrie, and Lintott, half-backs, Bond, Whiitingham, O'Rourke, Spier, and Clifford, forwards. Referee HP Lewis.



December 20, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 16)

Everton got a point where Liverpool failed a forthnight earlier, as the Blues drew 2-2 at Chorley. It was a very hard fought game, but with the chances they had Everton ought to have won. Daniels and Lacey scored in the first half, while McKie (from a penalty against Pratt, who was deputising for McConnachie) and Jones did the needful after the charge of ends. But Everton missed a couple of easiest possible chances, and had only themselves to blame for the winning. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Pratt, backs, Allen, Weller, and Rafferty, half-backs, Michaels, Lacey, Jones, Gourlay, and Mountford, forwards.



December 26, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.


Bristol City have been under a cloud with their supporters for many weeks past, for though they have picked up a few points that have kept them just clear of the last two places, they had not given a convincing display since they beat Middlesbrough by four goals to one in September at Ashton Gate until Christmas Day, when they beat Everton by three goals to one. The home side deserved to win, and the margin scarcely flattered them, yet it was not until the game was about an hour old that Bristol showed any marked supremacy. This was rather surprising, for the game was only three minutes old when Shearman swung in a centre from which Cowell beat Scott. This roused Everton at once and for many minutes they challenged the Bristol defence to their best endeavours. Cottle was dashing at full back, but Annan found the ground too heavy for him and was show. Wedlock, however, is usually anxious and able to do more than one man's work, and so he covered the discrepancies that occurred in this way more than once. Sharp was very fleet on the right wing by the touchline which was the dryest patch of the playing pitch and got the ball across square and true, but the City halves nipped in so well that the inside Everton men were repeatedly robbed of possession. Annan and another time Coleman was quite deceived by the pace of the ball in a centre by Sharp once checked Freeman in fine style, and so Cottle cleared when a fertile opening seemed certain. Barlow later got the better of Hanlin in fine style, and parted with the ball to White, but when the pass was received the outside man was ruled offside, and so a glorious opening was closed. The City forwards seemed to tire somewhat in the closing stages of the first half, but they crossed over leading by a goal to nil.


Play in the second half opened almost as dramatically as in the first half, for after the City had hemmed Everton in for five minutes the visitors broke away, and Freeman beating Annan, the latter never looked like recovering and the visiting centre going on crowned a brilliant individual effort by beating Clegg, who had not advanced to meet him. This success for Everton stimulated the home side to their best work, and Burton, their inside left, was especially effective in opening up the game for them. He repeatedly beat Harris with ease, and them when Clifford seemed likely to rob him, parted with the ball to excellent advantage, but Gilligan was very awkward in front of goal. It was he, however, who eventually recovered the lead for Bristol, though there was nothing particularly brilliant in the shot, which had been made simple by the splendid work by Cowell and Wedlock that proceeded it. Gilligan later hit the crossbar with a hard shot after clever work by Burton, and then for a spell the Everton forwards were in the picture. The right wing and Freeman were splendid, but Spear and Cottle were so dashing that they intercepted passes in quite surprising fashion. Clegg had very little to do, but once Coleman drove in a fine shot, which he fielded and cleared in great style. Spearman was much more effective at outside left for Bristol than Barlow for Everton in the corresponding position, and following good work by him and Burton, Macconnachie was compelled to put across the right wing and Staniforth there getting possession raced in and beat Scott with a splendid shot. During the last ten minutes of the game Everton made many spirited efforts on the right wing, but Wedlock so devoted himself to shadowed Freeman that the Everton centre was not able to trouble Clegg much, and the end came with the City winners of a game that had been very heavily fought, considering the heavy ground. It was a good tempered game, as well as a hard one, and referee Bamlett followed the ball well though there were occasions when his offside rulings failed to please the penalised parties. Sharp especially suffered at his hands.


Bristol were better balanced as a side than Everton, for the visitors' left wing was weak, and Barlow especially so whilst his impotence was emphasied by the tendency to get offside. Freeman has usually been so effective against Bristol –he scored two goals against them last season both at Goodison and Ashton Gate –that Wedlock devoted himself largely to him, and it was a mission that paid the City, for he repeatedly broke the line of communication between Freeman and his wings. At left Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace were good without' attaining brilliance, but Borthwick was the best of the trio, for in addition to reducing the efficiency of Cowell, who was very elusive, he in the second half in particularly, was also effective in checking the clever raids of Burton when Harris was unable to hold him. All three of the Everton halves, however, were lacking in one important detail, and they did little or no shooting. With the ball greasy, as it was a long shot might often have been tried with advantage. But if they failed to shoot, they often put the ball well to their own forwards, and never tried in tracking the City quintette. Clifford and Maconnachie had a race lot to do at full-back, and did much that was good, but in the second half they were hard put to it to repel the City forwards, who were the suprisingly quick on the ball. The Bristol wingmen Staniforth and Shearman at times swerved in extraordindinary fashion, and if Gilligan –he scored the first League goal this season in the second half –had been a Coleman or a Freeman, Scott must have had a very busy afternoon. As it was Scott did not have a great deal to do, even through he had more than Clegg, but the little he was called upon to face included three shots that beat him, and for neither of which could be blamed. Although the City won by 3 to 1, local judgement gave them the credit of playing rather above their form, so that it is quite on the cards the result may be reversed to-day at Goodison Park. Teams: - Bristol City: - Clegg, goal, Annan, and Cottie, backs, Hamilton, Wedlock, and Spearman, half-backs, Staniforth, Gilligan, Cowell, Burton, and Shear, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Clifford, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman Freeman, White and Barlow, forwards. Referee HS. Bamlett.



December 26 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 17)

It was a great day for the home clubs in the First Division of the Lancashire Combination, for only one of them failed to pick up two points. Everton gained the biggest win of the day, and with Liverpool and Blackburn Rovers beaten, the Goodison Park club has now the best record. Everton's opponents were Workington, and the Cumberland men were well beaten by six goals to nil. As a game the contest was not very attractive, the ground being throughly sodden though the recent bad weather. The visitors commenced operations in a splendid fashion, and swept down on the home goal. Berry being called upon to negotiate a ticklish shot from McLean. The Blues then asserted themselves, and attack after attack was hurled at the Workington goal. Carter being eventually beaten by Mountford, who was smart to take advantage of a neat cross by Michaels. Although both custodians had several difficult shots to keep out, there was no further scoring in the initial half. In the second moiety there was only one team in it, for Everton completely outplayed the visitors. The home vanguard put in some telling work, and five times the visiting keeper had to acknowledge defeat. Gourlay and Jones, the former player securing three and the latter scored the goals two. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Bardsley, backs, Allan, Weller, and Rafferty, half-backs, Michaels, Lacey, Jones, Gouray, and Mountford, forwards.



December 28, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.



Everton on Christmas Day, at Bristol, lost two points to the City team; yesterday, at Goodison Park, the verdict was reversed. In the first case the margin was three goals to one, and in the return one to nothing. There was not much in it, and under the circumstances neither club has any reason to be dissatisfied with the division of the honours. There, was, however, a material difference as far as the management of the clubs was concerned, for whereas the Bristolians had only a moderate gate upwards of 30,000 spectators visited Goodison park yesterday. This, too, despite the absolutely depressing climatic conditions. After a fine afternoon rain fell persistently, not only bringing discomfort to onlookers, but rendering portions of the playing pitch so treacherous that real football was quite out of the question. Still the players, to their credit be it said, contested the game in admirable spirit, and with a determination which was in no way affected by frequent unpleasant contact with the mud.


While Bristol City relied on their victorious side of Christmas Day, Everton made no fewer than there change, in their ranks. Borthwick and G.H.Barlow were both on the injured list, and Macconnachie was not too well, the result being that Young figured at outside left, the veteran John Taylor as centre half-back, and Stevenson as partner to Clifford. It will be understood that the condition of the ground was altogether against securate football. In the earlier portion it was not so far, and during this period some really interesting play was served up by opposing sides who were in earnest. Everton opened strongly, Clegg saying cleverly from Coleman and Makepeace, but the visiting side soon proved it at they meant to dispute every inch of the ground. Scott on one occasion having great difficulty in frustrating the intentions of Britton. During a fairly prolonged onslaught, Everton's young back. Stevenson, showed both by his coolness and resource that his selection as Clifford's partner was not ill-timed. Largely through his efforts Everton got on the move, and Young, after several failures was himself again. He sent across the goalmouth, and Freeman, being too well watched, allowed the leather to pass to Sharp, who sent it into the net, giving the custodian no chance of effecting a save. After this Everton made matters very warm for the visiting defence without adding to their core, and Bristol coming again, had hard lines in not equalising. Scott however, was a rare stumbling block. In the second half the ground was in a worse state than ever. The players slipped and tumbled about in the mud in a manner infinitely diverting to the onlookers, though not at all pleasant to the participations. Both goals had narrow escapes, and almost in the last minute Scott, by his brilliant work, saved his side the loss of a point. On the general run of the play Everton were entitled to their victory by a goal to nil.


Under the circumstances full allowance must be made for repeated mistakes on the part of the players. Often enough it was a lottery whether the ball would stick in the mud bound forward, or screw away at a most disconcerting angle. From the point of view of Everton a gratifying feature of the game was the admirable exhibition of Stevenson at left back. His kicking was well timed, and while he placed the ball with judgement his tackling was most effective. With Clifford also in form the display of the back division was as convincing as in any game this season. The only hope is that the injury, which Stevenson sustained in the closing stages of the match, will only be a temporary nature. “Jack” Taylor, after his enforced absence was not the least effective of the half-back line, in which as usual, Harris and Makepeace rendered good service. Sharp and Coleman were rather inclined to attempt too much short passing, and while Freeman was allowed few opportunities of shining, the left wing was not conspicuously successful although it was Young's characteristic work which led up to Everton's goal. Scott kept a fine goal, and so, too, did Clegg. Indeed the defence on both side deserved commendation. Wedlock again proved an adept in defensive tactics as also in feeding his forwards, among whom none worked harder or was more conspicuous than Burton. Teams : - Everton: - Scott goal, Clifford, and Stevenson, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Young, forwards. Bristol City: - Clegg, goal, Annan, and Cottle, backs, Hanlin, Wedlock, and Spear, half-back, Staniforth, Gilligan, Cowell, Burton, and Shearman, forwards. Referee –Mr. H.S. Bamlett.



December 28, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 18)

This interesting holiday fixture was played at St Helen before a good gate. The Town were short of E. Stauton, their captain, Hall filling the vacancy. Teams: - St.Helens Town: - H. Stanton; goal, Yates, and Potters, backs, Morris, Hall, and Scott, half-backs, Barton, Bluff, Langford, Tudor, and Bromage, forwards. Everton Reserves: - Berry goal, Pratt and Bardsley, backs Allen, Weller, and Rafferty, half-backs, Michaels, Lacey, Jones, Gourlay, and Mountford forwards. The town won the toss, and Everton started uphill. The opening exchanges favoured Everton, who were unlucky, Lacey sending inches wide. Weller, the visiting centre was injured through being struck with the ball, but resumed. Through Bromage the Town got dangerous, but Pratt got up and kicked out. St. Helens continued to hold the visitors in check, Barton sending wide with a grand opportunity. Barton tricked Rafferty, but he was whistled back for offside. Everton opened out with neat footwork, Michaels spoiling a grand movement through fouling Peters. Everton passed in front of Stanton, Jones heading into the keeper's hands from Lacey's centre. St. Helens broke away and forced a corner from which Barton put behind. Play veered from end to end, the respective backs kicking with excellent judgement. Everton asserted themselves. Scott kicking away from Jone's toes. Even midfield play followed, and from a hot attack by Everton. Jones failed to find the net. At the other end Bromage had a glorious opening presented, but he shot ridiculously wide. Weller burst away and had a fine opening, but Stanton was able to clear. The interval arrived with a clean sheet.

Langford started the second portion of the game, Michaels over-running the leather. Everton got aggressive through Jones, who eventually netted, but the point was disallowed for off-side. After a spell of even midfield play Jones again threaded his way through and forced a corner, which proved fruitless. Everton forced a corner off Yates, and from Michael's centre the ball struck Yates on the back, and from the rebound Jones rushed up and opened the score for his side. After this reverse the Town asserted themselves, but the Everton defence prevailed. In the closing stages Everton attacked desperately, but Stanton defended well. Mountford got away and scored with the custodian out. Final; Everton 2 St Helens nil.




December 1909