Everton Independent Research Data



February 6, 1905. The Liverpool Courier

Fa Cup Round One

The great Cup-tie between Liverpool and Everton at Anfield proved indecisive, the result being a draw of one goal each. There had been a rumour afloat during the week that a drawn game and actually been arranged. Such a story was absurd on the face of it- so absurd that it would be superfluous to set out any of the facts which could be easily and decisively adduced in opposition. No one who witnessed the natch wood need further proof of its genuine character. The game was a whole hearted and strenuous struggle for victory, not only vigorous but fierce, a typical Cup-tie game, realising to the full the expectation of what such a match would be. A draw was a fair and natural outcome. On the whole Liverpool should certainly have won. It is not only that they held a lead of a goal until eight minutes from time, but the forwards missed two or three quite easy opportunities for scoring. The opportunities were missed, and Everton were entitled to the benefit. Then again, the penalty by which the equalising goal came was the natural outcome of illegitimate play. The particular offence was not a glaring one, but it followed others of a similar kind. At that period the Reds were inviting the censure of the referee, and when judgement came it seemed quite fitting. Everton therefore, were entitled to a draw, but nevertheless Liverpool should have won.


Coming to the game in detail, it should be mentioned that Everton were without W.Balmer at back, R.Balmer taking his place, but with the exception both teams were at full strength. When they got together there would be 28,000 spectators present, the ground was crowded, and the gate money realised £1,070. This constitutes a record for Anfield. Winning the toss, Everton had the aid of a very useful breeze. In this case the luck of the toss was an undoubted advantage, for the wind was of a moderate kind, calculated to give the kicking assistance without interfering unduly with the flight of the ball. The ground was a capital conditions, just a trifle soft, but rather better than worse for that. Aided by the wind, the Blues had all the better of the play for the first fifteen minutes. During this period the Anfield defence was of a high order, Dunlop, West, and the halves, especially Raisebeck, doing grand work. The Everton forwards were skilful and tricky, but they were lacking in dash at the finish. Their fine passing always threatened danger, but danger seldom came. It came on one occasion when there was a bully in the goalmouth, but Doig tipped out dexterously with one hand a ball which McDermott had sent apparently well out of the custodian's reach. After this the game opened out, the home forwards for the first time taking up the pressure. When the Anfield quintette attacked they were always dangerous, for there was no lack on their side of dash and determination in front of goal. In 26 minutes, Parkinson received from the right wing, and shooting high up in the corner of the net, beat Roose and scored the first goal. Everton went off with a rush after this, and with a little more steadiness and methods in front of goal, they might have scored, but they over eager, and the defence was still cool and solid. Then Raybound worked through, and had a grand chance, but he lost control of the ball at the last moment, and shooting weakly Roose easily cleared. From this Everton pressed to the interval, but with the forwards content to pass and repass without any individual daring and enterprise the Anfield goal was never in real jeopardy and at half-time Liverpool still led by a goal to nil. At this time it might he said that Everton had the play, but Liverpool had scored the goal. In the second half Everton had a full share of the attack, but seldom pushed it home although Doig had to clear twice. The home side, too, were now showing greater confidence. They had fully their share of the play, and Roose was called upon more frequently, while he was a trifle fortunate more than once. On one occasion Parkinson failed to control the ball sent to him by a long punt from the backs and thus missed a chance, while later the same player received from Goddard in front of an open goal. It was only necessary to tip the ball forward. Put by some means the managed to screw it sideways to Roose, who thankfully threw away. Afterwards there were many objectionable incidents. Both sides were culpable, but Liverpool were probably the most to blame. Their tactics when Everton were closing in repeatedly called for free kicks, and at length Young was brought down in the penalty area by Raybould, Makepeace took the penalty kick , and put the teams on an equality, this being the position at the finish.


Taking the game as a whole Everton had the bulk of the play, but Liverpool had the most chances of scoring. The errors of Parkinson and Raybould alone make a replay necessary, and its therefore the weakness of their opponents rather than their own strength which saved the leaders of the First Division from defeat. Despite his slipe Parkinson played a great game for his side, although Taylor especially in the first moiety, was splendid at centre half. Liverpool's wing men were lacking, neither Cox nor Goddard doing themselves full justice. The same may be said of the Everton forward line, the best work being done by the inside men, although Young would have been more effective with holder and less “finichy” methods. Sharp was disappointing, and Hardman was not often in evidence. Settle and McDermott were the most useful of the five. Liverpool had the best halves despite anticipations, Raisebeck was better than Taylor, and Parry than Abbott, although Makepeace was cleverer than Praise may be given to both sets of backs, and to the respective goalkeepers. The Liverpool defence had the most work, and they did it splendidly, while in goal Roose would not deny that he was fortunate on those occasions to which reference has been made. The teams meet again at Goodison-park on Wednesday. It is rather singular that the course of events on 1902, the previous occasion when the local clubs met in the cup competition, should have been repeated. At the time Liverpool led at half-time by a goal to nothing, and the result was a draw, this time of two goals each. In the replay of that year Liverpool won at Goodison-park by two goals to nil. Teams: - Liverpool: - Doig, goal, West and Dunlop, backs, Parry, Raisebeck (captain), and Fleming, half-backs, Goddard, Robinson, Parkinson, Raybould, and Cox, forwards. Everton: - Rosse, goal, R.Balmer, and Crelly backs, Makepeace, Taylor (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, McDermott, Young, Settle and Hardman forwards. Referee John Lewis.


A contributor sends the following statistical details: - Roose saved on 10 occasions, 4 in the first and 6 in the second half; Dig saved on 9 occasions; 7 in the first and 2 in the second half. Everton took 7 corners kicks, 4 being in the first half, and Liverpool 3, of which 2 were in the first half. Everton had 30 “throws in” and Liverpool 46. The ball crossed the Everton line 7 times, twice in the first half and five times in the second, and the Liverpool line 16 times, 10 in the first and 6 in the second half. Liverpool took 18 free kicks, of which one was for off-side, and Everton 25, of which 4 were for off-side, in addition to the penalty kick.


In preparation for the replayed English Cup-tie at Goodison-Park next Wednesday, the Everton players are leaving this (Monday) morning for Stafford. They have previously experienced great benefits from their stay at Stafford and they are in hopes that the benefit they will deprive from the baths there will make them fit to meet Liverpool at Goodison-park next Wednesday afternoon.



February 6, 1905. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 24)

Liverpool at Goodison-park on Saturday fairly turned the tables on their local rivals and atoned for the reverse they sustained at home earlier in the season. It is somewhat singular to find a team loses at home by six goals to two, and then to win the return game by four goals to one. While the Reds did not deserve to win by so pronounced a margin they were much the better side, especially in the second half. There was a gate of fully ten thousand people, many of whom had been unable to gain admission at Anfield, and they saw a fast and vigorous game. In the first half, end to end play was the order, and the half-time score of one goal each fairly represented the run of the play. Each side had a penalty kick, and Chorlton and Rankin netted. On changing ends, however, the Liverpool forwards showed fine form, and assisted by weakness on the part of the home defence, they were not long in taking the lead through Carlin. The visiting centre forwards added two further goals the last being the result of a wretched mistake on the part of the defence. Thus Liverpool triumphed, and as a result now head the table with a capital record. On the home side Rankin was the only man to do himself justice. Time after time he beat the opposing defence single handed, but the other forwards could do nothing right, Evans in particular, throwing away some fine chances of scoring. Hanlin was the best half. Littlejohn being clever and weak in turn. The backs were uncertain and gave Scott no support, and he had no chance with the goals scored. The forwards were the strongest part of the Anfielders side, and set the opposing quintette an example, which might well have been followed. They lost no time in going straight for goal, and were well supported by the intermediate line. The backs were none too safe until Chorlton changed places with Wilson, and it fortunate for them, that the home forwards were so weak. The Liverpool custodian had little to do, but did his work well. Everton: - Scott, goal, Wildman and McCartney backs, Hanlin, Chadwick, and Littlejohn, half-back, Rankin, McLoughlin, Roberts, Dilly, and Evans, forwards.

Everton v. Liverpool.
Western Daily Press - Thursday 09 February 1905
Played at Goodison Park. Carlin played vice Robinson for Liverpool About three minutes from the start McDermott scored for Everton. Liverpool played a strong game, and effected several smart saves. Nothing more was scored, and Everton led at the interval: Everton, 1; Liverpool, nil. Four minutes after the resumption Goddard equalized with a beautiful shot right into the comer the net. The game was splendidly contested, but Roose was more frequently called upon than Doig. Five minutes from time Hardman gave Everton the lead, and line game ended in the defeat Liverpool. Everton will now meet Stoke.

Dundee Courier - Thursday 09 February 1905
This match was played at Goodison Park yesterday in fine weather before 25,000. Carlin played instead of Robinson. Soon after the game commenced M'Dermott scored for Everton. After this Liverpool played a good game, and Roose had plenty to do. Interval—-Everton, 1; Liverpool, 0. Shortly after the resumption Liverpool obtained free kick in a favourable position, and Dunlop passed to Goddard, who equalized with a brilliant shot. Play was very exciting, Liverpool, if anything, being the more dangerous side. Five minutes from the finish Hardman converted centre from Sharp, and this gave Everton the victory. Result Everton, 2; Liverpool, 1.

February 9, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
Fa Cup Round One Replay
At the time of asking the Liverpool and Everton Football Clubs were unable to decide as to which team would participate in the Second Round of the English Cup ties. Saturday's draw of one goal each at Anfield-road necessitated a replay at Goodison-park, and in view of League fixtures at the end of the week, it was decided that the teams should meet again yesterday afternoon. Owing to the possibility of extra time having to be played the start was fixed for three o'clock. While Liverpool players had been in training at their Southport quarters, the Evertonians had spent a couple of days at Stafford. Only one alteration was made from the sides, which met at Anfield-road, Robinson, Liverpool's inside right being replaced owing to injuries by Carlin, who so greatly distinguished himself in the reserve match at Goodison-park. The teams therefore were: - Everton: - Roose, goal, R.Balmer, and Crelly, backs, Makepeace Taylor (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, McDermott, Young Settle, and Hardman forwards. Liverpool: - Doig, goal, West, and Dunlop, backs, Parry Raisebeck (captain), and Fleming, half-backs, Goddard, carlin, Parkinson, Raybound, and Cox, forwards. Referee John Lewis. The intense interest which game shown by the fact that long before the time for the kick off thousands of people made their way to Goodison-park, and when the teams made their appearance the turnstiles were still clicking merrily. There would be fully 25,000 spectators when the game started- a splendid gate for a mild-weather was nice and genial Everton won the toss, and had the advantage of a slight breeze. Parkinson started a few minutes before three o'clock, and the first aggressive movements came from the Reds. It was only momentary and when the Everton forwards tried to get away Young was pulled up for offside. Though Raisbeck was conspicuous with smart tackling, the home right became dangerous, but a shot could not be got in at Doig. Then Cox raced off in great style only to be cleverly robbed by Crelly at the critical moments. Everton again beat back their opponents, and after the ball had passed between Sharp and McDermott, the latter with Dunlop apparently at fault beat Doig all the way. This early success was greeted with tremendous cheering from the Everton section of the crowd. Liverpool, however, were not dismayed, and a smart attack ended in Carlin being adjudged off-side just as he had put in a fighting shot at Roose. Everton soon asserted their superiority and Doig and his backs had an anxious time of it, but the danger was averted. Raisebeck passing well forward, Cox festened on to the ball, and with Balmer slipping, had a clear shot at Roose, who fisted away in his best style. Each side attacked in turn, and if anything, the Liverpool forwards were the more dangerous. Roose's position was no sinecure, but he was never in difficulties. Fleming ended a rather prolonged spell of pressure by the Reds through a foul, but they were back again, and once more Roose had his work cut out to save his charge. The amateur fisted out all kicked away, with equal certainly, and it was well for his side that he was in his finest form. A dash to the right found Dunlop hard pressed, and though Sharp got in a centre, Hardman was obviously offside when he tried to intercept the pass. A period of midfield play followed with shouts from the crowd for their favourites and “play up” Sharp was too clever for Dunlop and leaving him standing still the home outside right called upon Doig with a high dropping shot. The veteran dealt with it successfully, but no persistent were the attentions of the Everton front line that the ball hovered dangerously near the Liverpool goal. Raiesbeck was the main factor in removing the venue, and from a throw-in Parkinson missed a splendid chance of equalising. A moment later an exciting bully occurred in the Everton goalmouth, and it was marvellous how the goal was not captured; Parkinson eventually shot wide. Raisebeck was a tower of strength to his side for he not only kept his eye on Young, but he fed his forwards on every possible occasion. So far the Reds had enjoyed more of the play than their First League antagonists, although they were a goal behind. Once a foul was given against Roose for putting a back to an opponent, and amid intense excitement, the ball was sent safely over the Everton line. A hugh kick by Dunlop placed Liverpool on the offensive, and after Goddard had centred. Roose effected a marvellous save, from Cox's header. Everton retaliated, and had the advantage of a free kick, but there was little sting in their efforts. Again the Liverpool forwards were swarming round Roose. Their persistency deserved to be rewarded. Crelly intercepted a lofty centre from Cox in the nick of time, and then with a long shot, Raisebeck sent over the bar. Hardman could make little impression on West, but by the aid of free kicks, and thrown-in, Everton kept the play in their opponents half. The game was temporarily stopped owing to an injury to Fleming, who, however, was soon able to resume. Abbott was prominent with fine defensive work, and the excitement was great when from a free kick, West planted the ball in dangerous proximity to Roose. Crelly at one end and Dunlop at the other attracted attention by reason of their admirable kicking, and for a time play was fairly even. Doig easily negotiated a long shot from Taylor, and once more the Liverpool forwards made strenuous, though unsuccessful, efforts to gain the equalising point. A miskick by West found Dunlop ready to cover his fault, and immediately afterwards the Liverpool left back distigusished himself. From Sharp's centre Settle headed over. Then the interval arrival with the score, Everton 1 goal, Liverpool nil.

When the game restarted the attendances was estimated at nearly 40,000. Liverpool quickly forced a corner, and from the flag kick Cox placed the ball behind the post. A run down on, the Everton right did not mareralise, and the Reds again advanced on the left. Cox was brought down, and from the free kick the ball was passed back to Dunlop, who sent the ball crosses the field to Goddard, who equalised with a capital shot, the ball finding a resting place in the corner of the net. This was four minutes from the resumption, and it had the effect of intensifying the keenest of the struggle. Each end was visited, and whilst Raisebeck shot amongst the spectators a brilliant effort by Makeapeace was only diverted by Doig at the expense of a fruitless corner. Liverpool pressed hard, Raisebeck in particular playing a grand game. At this period Liverpool were unquestionably the superior team, and Everton were fortunate in escaping further downfall. Next Liverpool were lucky, a shot from Hardman being diverted over the line by the merest chance. Both sides were straining every nerve to gain the leading point, and the incitement was maintained at fever heat Cox was winded, and was attended to by the trainer' at the side of the field. After some uneventful play Everton obtained a corner, which was not improved upon, and at the other end Roose punched away a high dropping centre from Goddard. Young was too well watched to cause much trouble, but for all that the Everton attack showed signs of improvement, both Settle and McDermott being responsible for dangerous efforts. At the other end Roose exhibited good judgement in running out to meet Parkinson. Liverpool tried desperately hard, and with a little luck might easily have scored. Abbott banged the ball against the side of the net, and then, after West had kick a cross the field, Sharp centred to Hardman, who defeated Doig five minutes from the finish. This was practically the end of the game, for though Liverpool made strenuous efforts they were unable to draw level. When the whistle blew, Everton had gained the victory by two goals to nil.


EVERTON 2 BURY 0 (Game 501)

February 13, 1905. The Liverpool Courier

Benefit Match at Goodison-Park

There was no particular satisfaction to be derived from Saturday's League match at Goodison-park beyond the fact that Everton added a couple of points to their already admirable League record, and that the “gate” is to be devoted to deserving members of the club. With characteristic generosity the Everton directors, and the season started, decided to set apart two League matches for four of their players who have served the allotted five years with the organisation. Sharp and Abbott, both having had associations with Birmingham, naturally selected the Aston Villa game, while Settle and Kitchen the other beneficiaries, chose the game with Bury. After the Liverpool public had spent upwards of £2,000 during the week in witnessing English Cup-ties, a gate of £450 in the Bury match must be considered satisfactory. At any rate, with the £800 taken at the Villa match, the quartette of deserving though fortune players, will each be able to place about £300 to his credit in the bank. After this it cannot be said that Everton are unmindful of the welfare of their servants.


Perhaps it was on account of the glamour of the Cup-ties with Liverpool, but unquestionably the game with Bury was by no means satisfying. It failed to arouse that feeling of excitement, which gives zest to a struggle to the dealt between two determined sides. Incidents of real interest were few and far between, and only occasionally were the spectators genuinely pleased with the football fare provided. In some measure this was due to the disappointing show which was made by the “Shakers”. Their old Cup-tie fire, which one season carried them through to the Crystal Palace without a goal being recorded against them, was conspicuous by its absence, and somewhat naturally this had an effect upon the play of their opponents. During the first half especially Bury were weak in attack, and though Everton did the great bulk of the pressing their attempts at scoring were for the most part unaccountably feeble. It was not until the interval was in slight that the Bury goal was captured, the plucky Hardman being the one to pilot the ball into the net during a regular melee in the goalmouth. In the second portion Bury were more effective, and on two occasions a slice of luck might have given them a goal. As it was they were unable to get the better of the brilliant Welsh custodian, and with Settle doing the trick a couple of minutes from the finish the East Lancashire club had to acknowledge defeat by two clear goals.


As will be gathered from an indication of the general run of the games none of the twenty-two players engaged can be singled out for special distinction. Roose, though a trifle lucky defended his charge gallantly, but in the first half he had practically nothing to do. Montgomery too, was a reliable custodian, and could in no way be blamed for the reverse, which Bury sustained. Indeed his work and that of the two full-backs were the outstanding features of Bury's display, for although Simpson in the centre was a success the attack generally rarely rose above mediocrity. Everton had numerous chances of scoring, but their shooting was far from being accurate. Sharp and Settle were the best of the bunch, and the former; s centres ought to have been more successfully utilised. The half-backs work was only moderate for such as Makepeace, Taylor, and Abbott, while at back the younger Balmer was decidedly off colour. These signs of staleness must be got rid of before next Saturday's Cup-tie at Stoke. Teams: - Everton: - Roose, goal, W.Balmer (captain), and R.Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Taylor, and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Rankin, Young, Settle, and Hardman forwards. Bury: - Montgomery, goal, Mollinex and Slater, backs, Johnson, Thorpe, and Ross (captain), half-backs, Richards, Wood, Simpson, Sagar, and Leeming, forwards. Referee J.A.Smith

February 13, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 25)
While their seniors were going down before Everton at Goodison-park, Bury Reserves were making amends somewhat by getting the better of Everton Combination, the score in this case being also 2-0. On the play the Shakers deserved their victory. The Everton forwards missed Rankin and never settled down, while the backs were none too steady. Bury opened their score somewhat luckily, the ball going through off one of the defenders, but their other goals in the second half was the outcome of capital play. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Wildman, and McCartney backs, Hanlin, Chadwick, and F.Littlejohn, half-backs, Rankin, McLoughlin, Thornburn, Hutchinson, and Dilly, half-backs

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 13 February 1905
Fifteen thousand people witnessed this match at Goodison Park, which was set apart for the benefit of Settle and Kitchen. Everton were without Crelly and McDermott, -while Plant was replaced by Leemmg. Play fell below the ordinary standard, both sides missing easy chances. It was nearly half-time before Hardman scored for Everton, who were the better side. Interval score:—Everton 1 goal. Bury none. In the second half play was more even, but Everton had more chances of scoring, Sharp's accurate centres being feature of the game. Roose saved splendidly from Richards, although he was penalized for carrying the ball. Everton were the more dangerous side, and Settle scored again three minutes before the finish. Result:— Everton 2 goals. Bury none.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Tuesday 14 February 1905
Last night the following team was selected to represent Wales against Scotland at Wrexham March 6:— L. R. (Everton), goal H. Blew (Wrexham) and C. Morris (Derby County), backs ; M. Parry (Liverpool), M. Morgan Owen (Corinthians), and J. Hughes (Everton), half-backs; right wing. W. Meredith (Manchester City) and R. H. Atberfoo (Middlesbrough); left wing, A. G, Morris (Notts Forrest) and A. Oliver (Bangor); centre, M. Watkins (Sunderland), forwards.

Leeds Mercury - Tuesday 14 February 1905
At Liverpool, in wet weather. Everton beat Bolton Wanderers by two goals to one . Everton had the best of the opening exchanges, and McDermott scored after ten minutes’ play. The visitors occasionally got away, put could not score. Interval: —Everton one goal, Bolton nil. In the second half Everton pressed continuously, and Rankin scored a second goal. Even play followed, and just time Featherstone scored for Bolton.

February 14, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Senior Cup Semi-Final
Miserably wet weather attended this match at Goodison-Park yesterday, but there was a fair attendance a couple of thousand people turning out. Everton had only five of the first team (counting Rankin as a reserves), while the Wanderers played their second eleven and included R.Taylor and Eccles, two ex-Evertonians. The teams were as follows: - Everton: - Scott goal, W.Balmer (captain), and McCartney, backs, Makepeace, Taylor, and Chadwick, half-backs, Rankin, McDermott, Young, McLoughlin, and Dilly forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Broomfield, goal, Taylor, and Eccles, backs, Robertson, Yenson, and Freebairn, half-backs, Gaskell, Howell, Featherstone, Abbott, and R.Taylor forwards. Young started. Fairbairn clearing and Balmer shortly afterwards pulled up the Bolton left, Rankin centred well but Dilly was offiside as he headed in to Broomfield. A little later McDermott ran the ball over the line after beating Taylor, while Dilly forced a corner, from which the goal had a lucky escape. Twice Makepeace stopped the Wanderers left wing in clever fashion, and Everton resumed the attack. Broomfield saved well from McLoughlin, who headed in from Rankin's centre. A little later, however, McDermott got possession close in, and gave Broomfield no chance of saving. Everton pressed for some time after their success, but the defence held out. Then R.Taylor got away only to shoot from long range, and Scott easily cleared. Everton were, however, having much the best of matters, and Dilly gained a corner, which was worked away. Bolton rarely cross the half-way line, and once Taylor nearly scored with a fine long shot, the backs successfully negotiated Broomfield conceding a corner, which. Bolton got away, Scott saving from a corner, and the Wanderers made their best attack so far, Scott turning a fine shot from Abbott over the bar. Following the corner, Robinson handled, and the free kick led to Everton again putting on pressure, Rankin shooting across the goal, and outside. Later Rankin centred finely, McLoughlin missing a good chance of adding to the score. On the slippery ground, however, the forwards could not be blamed for missing openings. Young made a capital attempt to get through, but the only result was a fruitless corner. The Trotters made one of their brief attacks, Balmer soon sending them back again, and the visitors backs were kept busy for some minutes, Broomfield saved splendidly from Young, and near the interval Bolton put on pressure, R.Tarlor sending a fine shot on the wrong side of the post. Half-time Everton 1, goal, Bolton Wanderers nil . Everton again took up the running when play was resumed, and Dilly had a good shot charged down. Scott had to leave his goal to clear from a rush, the visitors, and then Young was going through the Wanderers defence in promising fashion when Freebairn dashed in and averted disaster. The Wanderers defended pluckily, but on one occasion Dilly and McLoughlin nearly got through, a shot from the latter being turned over the line by one of the backs. The corner was badly taken and Eccles cleared Young sending high over the bar a moment later. Another goal to Everton was not long in coming, however, passing between Young, McDermott, and Rankin led to the latter scoring an easy goal. Everton had all the game, and Rankin, made two splendid though ineffectual attempts to add to the score. The Wanderers improved and Balmer gave away a corner which, was easily cleared. Bolton held their own well for some minutes the home side taking matters rather easily, but the visitors were seldom dangerous. Everton again took up the running, Taylor trying a couple of good shots, the first being charged down, and the second going just over the bar. Just before the close, Featherstone scored for Bolton. Result Everton 2, goals, Bolton Wanderers 1.

Lancashire Evening Post - Thursday 16 February 1905
McEwan. The Blackpool outside left, was transferred last night Bolton Wanderers. McEwan came Blackpool last season from Everton, his transfer being part of the arrangement for Hardman going Everton. Whilst Blackpool he has played at times magnificent game, but others his efforts have been most disappointing, and he has not been doing so well late, the regret his departure from the Blackpool team will not so great would have been earlier the season. McEwan perhaps the best paid player the Blackpool club has ever had. And was in receipt of summer pay: but in Blackpool's position could not continue this, and it had been anticipated for some time past that would transferred. Blackpool have received a handsome fee for transfer. Several clubs were after McEwan. And it was generally thought he would have gone to North End.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 18 February 1905
At Stoke, before 20,000 spectators. Stoke had the wind at the start, and Whitehouse tested Roose with a long shot. After seven minutes' play, however, McDermott shot in just inside the Stoke post, and scored with a shot which Whitley ought to have saved. Even play followed, but after 23 minutes Makepeace scored a second point from a penalty. Makepeace saved grandly from under the bar with Roose out of goal. Half-time; Stoke 0, Everton 2.
On resuming, Stoke attacked, but were obtained, Hardman and Settle ran beautifully. The former placed the ball forward for his partner, and Settle went on and scored. Hartshorage and Whitley thinking he was offside, and making no attempt to stop him. The point was allowed. Everton attacked again, the forwards playing brilliantly, and Hardman hit the post, Sharp nearly scored after grand passing, McDermott scored. Result Stoke City 0, Everton 4

STOKE CITY 0 EVERTON 4 (Fac Game 48)
February 20, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
Fa Cup Round Two
There was just a little trepidation in Liverpool as to the outcome of Everton visit to the Potteries. Everyone admitted that in the ordinary way the Blues were much the better side; a glance at the League table shows the disparity between the teams, for while Everton are leaders with 34 points for 25 matches, Stoke have but 19 points for 24. But cup-ties are not League matches, and there was the same wide gulf between the teams when Stoke pulled off the event on that famous occasion's ten years ago. The event showed that all fears were groundless, for the Blues ran out the easiest of winners by 4 goals to nil. The result afforded huge delight to hundreds of habitues of Goodison park, who formed a not in considerable proportion of the 20,000 spectators. Trains loads of them travelled into Stoke, and during the drenching downpour of the second half their gainty of spirit was expressed in good cup-tie fashion by the chanting of means of praise. The game was rather a curious one.


It was fought out entirely in the first half, which was a good deal more even than the score of 2-0 for Everton suggests, but in the second half the Potters took it lying down, the victors merely toying with their opponents winning the toss, Stoke had what advantage there was in a wind blowing diagonally across the ground. The pace at once became a warm one, and the Everton left wing, moving along in business like fashion, soon threatened danger. Checked once or twice, they came again persistently, and when Hardman centred across to McDermott, the inside man shot past Whitley into the net, the game being only seven or eight minutes old. After this the game was all in favour of Stoke, but try as they would they could not get through the defence. The Everton halves were in splendid trim, and the backs were sturdy and reliable, although Crelly was occasionally in difficulties with the smart right wing of the Potters. Dashing off to the other end, Evertom were awarded a penalty kick , Benson having kicked Young. Makepeace for a wonder missed, the leather striking the upright and rebounding into play, Abbott pounced on it, and sent in a fierce shot, which Whitley repelled brilliantly. Then there was trouble amongst the spectators, for the referee Mr. P.R.Harrower ordered the kick to be taken again, on the dual ground that the ball had been kicked before he had given the signal, and that Whitley was standing over the line. This time Makepeace scored. This was a disheartening business for Stoke, but they played up manfully, and more than once the Everton citadel was not assailed.


On one occasion Roose had left his charge, and a shot was sent in during the absence, but Makepeace had dropped into goal, and he managed to keep the ball out. Give and take play of a rousing kind followed, but nothing further happened before the interval. Heavy rain now descended, and continued for the major portion of the second half, Everton had matters all their own way. The Stoke team fell to pieces, and the Everton forwards and halves gave an exhibition of scientific and pretty football, highly delightful to the Goodison-road contingent, but as far removed as possible from the accepted of a cup-tie. But of decent opposition there was none, and for the rest of the game, Everton amused themselves almost, as they liked on turf now sudden and slippery. Settle scored a goal very prettily worked for, and a few moments from the finish McDermott put on the fourth.


As already indicated, there was not a great deal between the teams in the first half, but the advantage decidedly lay with Everton, and especially in their front line. The visiting forwards were more effective than the home quintette, and the left wing was much the better. Settle played a brilliant game, the inside men generally being the best of the line, although Hardman put in much clever work. The halves played in splendid style, and their combination with the vanguard was at times as near perfection as needs be. All three earned high praise, but Taylor bore away the palm, his tackling and placing being of a high order. Balmer was the better of the backs, although it was a faulty kick from him nearly let in the Potters. Roose in goal effected some smart saves, but he showed rashness more than once in leaving his goal. The Stoke team were overmatched, chiefly in the front division, their backs were very capable, and Whitley in goal was more unfortunate than efficient on the whole, it must be admitted that Everton were in luck in the first half, their superiority not being value for two goals, but a match is for 90 minutes and taking the game through, 4 goals to nil was a fit reward for their merits.

Teams: - Stoke City: - Whitley, goal, Benson and Harts backs Horne, Baddeley, and Holford half-backs, Bradley, Whitehouse, Rose, Gallimore, Holdcroft, and Fielding forwards. Everton: - Roose, goal, R.Balmer, and Crelly backs, Meakepeace, Taylor (captain), and Abbott, half-backs Sharp, McDermott, Young, Settle and Hardman, forwards. Referee P.R.Harrower



February 18, 1905. The Liverpool Football Echo.

There was an absence of first class engagements at both of the premier football enclosures to-day, but a couple of thousand spectators turned up to support Everton Reserves contingent against Northern Nomads, who are on means exponents of the football art. The men were programmed as follows:- Everton: - Kitchen goal, Kerr and Rothwell, backs Stott, Chadwick, and Evans half-backs, J.L.Jones, G.Rankin, Thornburn, Dilly, and Phillips, forwards. Northern Nomads:- Wilson goal, Bucknall, and Gow, backs, Littleton, Brown and Taylor, half-backs, R.Lloyd, Edwards, Stephension, Gillmore, and Another, forwards. The Nomads led off, in good style and put in some pretty work, which took the Everton defence by surprise. Stott and Keer were immediately in difficulties, and a smart pass at close quarters by Stephenson to Gillmore led to the defeat of Kitchen by the latter in the first few minutes. Restarting the Blues did not make a special effort to amend this intrusion, but after a number of mild exchanges, Jones, Rankin, and Thornburn worked together smartly, eluded Littleton, Bucknall and Brown to turn and Wilson made hardily an effort to oppose Rankin, who netted. The Blues were not long after restarting in assuring the upper hand once more. Littleton and Brown made a feeble effort to oppose a smart advance of the home right and centre, and Buchnall was equally unfortunate in misjudging his header, for Jones whipped round him, and Thornburn racing up at full speed met his centre, and Scored with a fine straight drive, Wilson again succumbing in gloriously. The game was well contested for sometime after Everton's second goal. Wilson ran out and made a capital save from Thorburn when he looked dangerous. Jones proved a capital partner for Rankin, and his wing worked well with Thorburn. Taylor was the most tenacious of the Northern halves, and worried Caldwell and Phillips considerably. The Nomads shooting and kicking was erratic, and Kitchen had an easy time, being well covered by Kerr and Rothwell. After the Nomads had taken a corner, Scott fouled, and from the ensuing free kick, Kitchen was hotly pressed. Half-time Everton 2 goal, Nomads 1. Five thousand spectators were present after the interval, and Everton's success at Stoke was enthusiationally cheered. The Nomads were the first to advance, but Evans back up the attack, and then a fine dash by Jones was foiled by Littleton, and the Leather was carried off, without due exertion. The Everton forward' work was very tricky, but the defence of the Northerns were very strenuous. Fifteen minutes was put to waste, in mild exchanges, neither side making any really dangerous moves. At last a foul gave the Nomads an opening, which Chadwick utilised smartly. At last a foul gave the Normads an opening, which Chadwick utilised smartly. Some capital forward work brought a couple of corners to the Nomads whose outside right managed to equalise very cleverly. Final score Everton 2, Nomads 2.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Thursday 23 February 1905
Negotiations have been pending for month between representatives of the leading clubs Vienna and Everton with respect to the Goodison Park team paying visit to the Austrian capital. Already the preliminary arrangements have been agreed on. Everton open their programme on April —they leave Liverpool on the 28th—and conclude on May 21. Seven matches will be played during the three weeks in Vienna, Prague, and Budapest, and on one day they meet Tottenham Hotspur, who are touring there at the same period, in exhibition game.
Dent signs for Southport
Southport Central have secured the transfer of F. Dent, of Everton, and he is to appear for his new club Saturday, when they play Rossendale United. Dent was tried by the Central at the beginning of the season, but subsequently went to Everton.

February 23, 1905. Manchester Courier
J.L. Jones who played for Everton Reserves on Saturday last has been signed on by the St. Helens Town Club. He will figure for his new club in their match with Accrington Stanley on Saturday.

F. Dent signs for Southport
Southport Central have secured the transfer of F. Dent, of Everton and he is to appear for his new club on Saturday when they play Rossendale United. Dent was tried by the Central at the beginning of the season, but subsequently went to Everton.

February 23, 1905. The Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser
J.T.Jones, who played for Everton Reserves on Saturday last, has been signed on by the St. Helen's Town Club. He will figure for his new club in their match with Accrington Stanley on Saturday.
Southport Central have secured the transfer of F. Dent of Everton, and he is to appear for his new club on Saturday, when they play Rossendale United. Dent was tried by the Central at the beginning of the season, but subsequently went to Everton.

London Daily News - Saturday 25 February 1905
The series of this season’s international matches under Association rules commences this afternoon at Middlesbrough, where England and Ireland meet for the twenty-fourth time. Recently the game has made rapid strides in Ireland, but as usual most of the visiting eleven to-day belong to big professional clubs in England. At present no changes have been announced in either side, and it may hoped that the elevens will appear just originally selected. The Football Association chose team representing the strength English football, and no doubt can be felt to the ability of England to win. Teams: England: Williamson (Middlesbrough): W. Balmer (Everton) and Carr (Newcastle Unitea); Wolstenholme (Blackburn Rovers). Roberts (Manchester United), and Leake (Aston Villa); Bond (Preston North End). Bloomer (Derby County). V. J. Woodward (Tottenham Hotspur), 8. 8. Harris (Corinthians) (captain), and Booth (Manchester City). Ireland: Scott (Everton); McCracken (Newcastle United) and McCartney (Everton): Darling (Linfleld), Connor (Gientoran), and Nickel (Celtic); Murphy (Queen’s Park Rangers). Sheridan (Stoke), Shanks (Brentford). O’Hagan (Tottenham Hotspur), and Kirwan (Tottenham Hotspur; (captain). Referee: Mr. T. Robertson (Scotland). Drizzling rain fell at Middlesbrough yesterday. But expected that the ground will excellent condition unless the downfall should become heavy. Both teams arrived yesterday evening, and it is expected that they will take the field as selected, though Sloan (Bohemians) may replace O'Hagan, who is troubled by an injury to one of his knees, on the Irish left wing.

London Daily News - Saturday 25 February 1905
During May the Everton team will play a number of matches in Vienna, and will there meet Tottenham Hotspurs. Settle, Sharp, Abbott and Kitchen, the Everton players, will each receive about $320 as a result of their joint benefit matches.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 25 February 1905
Nearly 3,000 spectators witnessed this match at Ewood Park, in fine weather. The home team included a new centre forward from the Glasgow district, whilst Everton had a strong combination. Teams; Rovers Reserve; Penston, goal; McDonald, and Riley, backs; Birchall, Shutterworth, and Brindle, half-backs; Duckworth, Turner, McAllister, Watson, and Dawson, forwards. Everton; Kitchen, goal; Wildman, and Kerr, backs; Hanlin, Chadwick, and Littleton, half-backs; Roberts, Rankin, Thornburn, Cauldwell, and Dilly, forwards. Although the Rovers had the advantage of a slight breeze they failed to make much headway in the opening stages, Dawson the Crosshill youth was several times conspicuous and he tested Kitchen with a well-placed shot. Everton then retaliated, and Rankin sent in a fine ground shot, but Penston was ready. Thornburn, however, got possession in a good position. He took a big lunge, but his effort was inaccurate. The visitors left wing pair combined with marked precision but Thornburn fouling Riley., play was transferred, and from Dawson's centre Kitchen had to kick away. The Rovers outside left continued to be dangerous and they had hard lines in a shot which struck the upright. Watson and Kitchen straggled for possession and the custodian came out on top. Everton then started off in real earnest and Dilly beat Preston after 20 minutes play. From the knick-off the visitors were again dangerous and a miskick by McDonald gave Thornburn a fine opening, which he soon converted. These revers tended to put more vigour into the Blue and Whites, and they took up the aggressive. Duckworth was making rapid progress towards goal, when he was brought down by Wildman just outside the penalty area. McDonald took the free kick, and called upon Kitchen to negotiate an awkward shot. The pressure still continued and the good play of the Rovers' extreme end was causing much.
Anxiety to the visitors Defenders
Watson made a brilliant attempt and finished up by passing to Turner who opened the Rovers account. The homsters seemed like equalizing, but Kitchen saved in fine style from Duckworth, Birchall, and McAllister. Everton then made some headway but Cauldwell kicked over with a glorious chance. Just on the interval Kitchen was loudly cheered for a miraculous save from a grand low shot from the foot of Hodgson.
Half-time; Everton Reserve 2, Rovers Reserve 1
The opening of the second half was characterized by the activity of the Rovers who immediately took up the pressure and continued to have the best of matters. Dawson at close quarters cleverly beat Wildman and shot well from an awkward angle. Kitchen however, was keeping up his form of the first half, and did not allow himself to be beaten easily. The Rovers were just as eager to prolong bombardments and for fully ten minutes shot after shot was sent in by the home quintette. Some were well saved and others cannoned against opponents. It was evident to all that the pressure could not long continue without success. The Everton forwards did once break away, and Preston had to clear, but then the Blues and Whites returned to the other charge and the equalizer came. Davidson centred, and the ball was returned to him. Then he headed right in and the ball was forced through by his colleague, Duckworth seeming to earn the credit of the point. The Rovers were now anxious to get the lead, and McAllister tried hard to gain this end, but Kitchen made another brilliant save. Everton then got more dangerous than at any other period in the second stage. Hanlin finishing up with a fine low punt which Prenston only saved at the expense of a fruitless corner. Result; Rovers Reserve 2, Everton Reserve 2

February 27, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
Everton are still in the proud position of topping the League. They advanced another couple of points as a result of their meeting with Blackburn Rovers at Goodison-park. True, it was a victory snatched with no small amount of difficulty- it was a goal to nothing in their favour- and at one period of the game it looked great odds against anything being scored at all. However, their supporters were satisfied at any rate so far as the result was concerned, if they were not compensated with a display of the highest class, the points were there, and that is the main consideration. In coming off victors, Everton were thus enabled to wipe out the defeat they sustained at Ewood-park in October last by a goal to nothing. Everton's prospects of retaining their present enviable position are decidedly improved by the misfortune that happened to Small Heath, who up to Saturday were only a point behind the Goodison team, with a match in hand.


The 20,000 or so spectators were not rewarded with a brilliant exposition of the game. Anticipation were in the direction of the Dark Blues on their own ground romping round the Rovers, but as it proved there were entirely dispatched. Balmer was away at Middlesbrough playing in the international match, his brother filling his place, whilst Blackburn could not avail themselves of either Wolstenholmes who was also playing for England, or Crompton, who was still on the injured list. With two such experienced footballers away, the Rovers were, if anything, in a worse plight than their opponents. Settle's inability to play at the last moment through his injury caused vacancy on the home side, which McLoughlin was called upon to fill.


It was soon apparent that the Evertonians were not going to have matters their own way, and after the opening stages there were promising attacks by the visitors. Roose was twice called upon, and it was at this point that signs of weakness were first seen in the home defence, though it improved later on. After this the game was fought on fairly even lines for a time, though if anything, the Reds (The Rovers had donned red jerseys) were the more dangerous in their rushes. There were occasions when through the persistent efforts of Sharp, Young, or McDermott, the Rovers goal was placed in extreme jeopardy, but somehow or other the necessary goal never came. The latter portion of the first half was in favour of Everton, who however, failed to turn the advantage to good account. The game worked its weary length along for some time after the teams had crossed over with nothing scored. McLoughlin put through from McDermott's centre, but to the chargin of the home supporters he was offside. The Dark Blues did not seem to be playing with the smoothness and efficiency which, one expects from them, much of it was erratic, and invariably made absortive when the Rovers halves came to be encountered. In the last ten minutes, however, they asserted themselves, pressing forward several hot attacks on McIvor, and at length Sharp gave the Everton supporters a welcome parting tit-bit with a splendid goal, he having niceltly taken the ball from the foot of Cameron.


Sharp's customary brilliance had only really shown itself in the closing stages of the contest. The goal he obtained seemed to inspire him, and from then until the final whistle blew he was a thorn in the Rovers side. Before, this, however, he was not so effective as usual, allowing himself more than once to be easily robbed of the ball by Dewhurst and Cameron. About the Everton forward play as a whole was a lack of cohesion, the passing was capable of improvement, whilst the shooting was capable of improvement, whilst the shooting was never deadly. Hardman on the left put in some nice touches, and McDermott occasionally got in some pretty centres. The Rovers halves seemed to be a more effective set on the day's play than the Everton trio. They checked many a promising move, and allowed their opponents little latitude. Makepeace however, tackled in splendid style, a fort also applicable tom Crelly. R.Balmer also proved his usefulness. The Rovers forwards were neither better nor worse than the home quintette. Whittaker was one who exerted himself most, and required watching, and Bowman was oftentimes effective. Roose was never seriously tested, his vis-à-vis McIvor having a far more anxious time. Teams: - Everton: - Roose, goal, R.Balmer, and Crelly, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (captain), and Abbott half-backs Sharp, McDermott, Young, McLoughlin, and Hardman, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - McClure, goal, Cameron, and Moir, backs, Dewhurst, Bradshaw, Whittaker, Pentland, Bowman, Smith, and F.Blackburn, forwards. Referee Fred Kirkham



February 27, 1905. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 26)

In view of Blackburn Rovers lowly position in the table it was expected that Everton would secure both points as the result of their visit to Ewood-park. They did fairly well, however, in dividing the points, considering they were not at full strength. Dilly and Thornton early gave Everton a two goal lead, but Turner scored for the Rovers before the interval. In an even second half Duckworth secured the only goal, and placed his side on level terms. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Wildman, and Kerr, backs, Hanlin, Chadwick, and F.Littlejohn, half-backs, Rankin McLoughlin, Thornburn, Caldwin, and Dilly forwards.

February 27, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
Ireland played England, and have yet to defeat in an Association game. On Saturday game at Middlesbrough, they did the next best thing to winning, they managed to draw 1 goal each. Everton players figured in the match, While Balmer and Ex-Evertonian wolstenholmes appeared for England, the sister Isle had the assistance's of Scott, and McCartney, aswell as Sheridan, and Kirwan the ex-Evertonian. More over Sheridan scored for Ireland, while an experienced judge expresses the opinion that Scott was the best man of the field. Yet of the six men named, Balmer is now the only regular member of the Everton League team.

Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 27 February 1905
Blackburn Rovers only secured a draw against Everton Reserve consequent upon an indifferent opening. For the first 20 minutes the visitors had all the best of matters, and by that time had obtained a lead of two goals. It is true one of their points came from a miskick by McDonald, but not until then did the Blue and Whites start seriously. After this stage they never looked behind, and right up to the finish, Kitchen and his colleagues had an anxious time. But only twice were they beaten, and the game ended in a draw. Kitchen was the savoir of the visitors, for he made numerous brilliant saves. The Rovers tried a new centre in McAllister but through he played a fearless game, he did not show good form. The most conspicuous attackers on the Rovers side when the two extreme men. Duckworth on the right, and Dawson the Crosshill amateur, on the left both of whom shot and centred well, and were always too good for the Evertonians, Watson was also good in shooting. The halves worked well together, and the defending trio, apart from the miskick by McDonald were reliable.

Lancashire Evening Post - Tuesday 28 February 1905
Yesterday, Everton in the course of their preparation for their English Cup-tie with Southampton visited Northwich, and again indulged in a brine bath. Twelve players and their trainer made the journey being accompanied by Dr. Whitford. Settle, who is nursing an injury, was an absentee.

Portsmouth Evening News- Tuesday 28, February 1905
Alfred Milward, the ex-Everton, Southampton, New Brompton, and Reading player, is now located at Southampton. He is playing for the Southampton Cambridge F.C., the leading team in the local junior League.

February 1905