Everton Independent Research Data



February 5, 1906. The Liverpool Courier


In visiting Goodison-park, Chesterfield got all that they anticipated. They were defeated it is true, but they knew this would happen before they consented to change the venue of the cup-tie. But they have the supreme satisfaction of showing that their coffers have been curioned to an extent, which probably had never been their experience since the club was formed. The sum of £500 is a very handsome addition to the funds of a struggling football organisation. Chesterfield, no doubt are eminently pleased with their share. In this season's cup ties, but whether Everton can congratulate themselves upon their deal is another matter. Although they loss money over the transaction they certainly can claim that besides giving their supporters an opportunity of witnessing the team playing at home they have done the Derbyshire club a really good turn.


Whatever, chance there might have been of anything approaching a satisfactory game was spoiled by the high wind, which prevailed. At the same time the Second Leaguers offered a more stubborn resistance than had been anticipated. Indeed when the interval arrived and the Everton vanguard had failed to make any tangible impression on the Chesterfield defence, certain of the less sanguine supporters of the “Blues” were somewhat downcast. these gloomy foreboding however, were quickly dispelled after the teams had crossed over. The Everton players, who throughout had naturally been decidedly superior simply over whelmed the plucky Chesterfield defenders side with in the space of ten minutes Settle, Young, and Taylor placed the issue absolutely beyond doubt. As far as pressure was concerned Everton might easily have secured a much more decisive victory, out whether it was owing to the vagaries of the wind or to any other cause the fact remains that some of their attempts to drive the ball into the net, were ludicrous in the extreme. The play calls for no detailed criticism, as the home players were never really extended.


Although Chesterfield failed to register a goal, it must be admitted that in at least two instances a little luck might have brought about the downfall of the Everton goal. In Gilberthorpe they possess a promising centre forward, and on the left wing the veteran Monday and Handley showed some capital work. Unfortunately for Chesterfield their halves were no match for the Everton attack, but their backs defended gallantly, and as for Cope- the goalkeeper- he simply excelled himself. Evidently the Chesterfield management possess a happy knack of unearthing capable custodian. On the Everton side Cooke made a creditable debut, as partner to Sharp, who, despite one particularly bad miss was by far the most conspicuous forwards on the field. Makepeace, Taylor and Abbott, formed a trio of half-backs quite beyond the capabilities of the Chesterfield front line, and the backs accomplished all that came their way on satisfactory fashion. Teams. Everton: - Scott goal Hill, and W.Balmer backs Meakepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs Sharp Cooke, Young, Settle, and Hardman, forwards. Chesterfield: - Cope, goal, Marples, and Baker, backs, Haigh, Milnes and Thacker half-backs, Dyall, Taylor, Gilberthorpe, Monday and Handley, forwards. Referee J.Adams.



February 5, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One. (Game 25)

Everton's chances of securing championship honours have been practually settled as the result of their successive defeats at Southport and St Helens, and Accrington Stanley now hold a clear lead in the table. The match between the Leaguers reserves and St.Helens Recreation at Glassopolis on Saturday provided a keen struggle all though, and although play was somewhat interfered with by the strong wind prevailing, there were many exciting incidents. The match was set apart for the benefit of “Wick” Hunter, the St. Helens half-back, and there was a capital attendance. As the Recs triumphed by 2 goals to 1, their supporters were naturally elated, and on the run of the play the victory was well deserved. Everton had the advantage of the wind in the first half, but failed to profit by it. True, they got the only goal scored during this portion, but the home side had a fair share of the play, and on more than one occasion came near scoring. The Recs were well served by their defence, Roughley on one occasion making a fine save from Rankin. When the teams changed ends the Recs set to work in determined fashion, and Roberts equalised. The Everton backs performed will under pressure, Crelly in particular doing his side capital service, but Roberts got through again, and put on the winning goal. As Everton won the first match by 3 goals to 1, honours are now even. All round the Recs gave a good account of themselves, and their successive victories over Accrington and Everton show them to be a capable side. Everton were rather disappointing and Kelly, who kept goal in the absence of Collins, was none too safe several times fumbling the ball. Everton: - Kelly, Wildman and Crelly backs, Chadwick, Wright, and Donaldson, half-backs, Rankin McLoughlin, McCratney, Warbes and Butler forwards.



Feburary 9, 1906. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury

West Bromwich Albion have signed Bruce Rankin, the Everton Player. Born in Everton twenty-three years ago, he helped such clubs as City Villa, St Luke's Bible Christ, White Star Wanderers, and Kirkdale in Youthful days. In 1902-03 he played with the first team and in all appeared fourteen times amongst the seniors. (37 apps?) Last season he scored against Newcastle with a goal that will be remembered. He has represented Lancashire has numerous times. and assisted the North versus the South at Tottenham in 1902-03.


February 8, 1906. The Liverpool Echo

Everton will be sorry to part company with Bruce Rankin. He has been transferred to West Bromwich Albion and will play against Bristol City at the Hawthorns on Saturday. Rankin will find no difficulty in falling into the Albion style, and I prophesy for him a capital time with his new masters. Rankin has many talents, and he is sure to become popular with the Albion. An understudy to Sharp or any other consistently brilliant player is to be sympathized with; he is always a stern struggle to oust someone from the senior ranks who is morally certain to be recalled to the team, even if deposed through lost of form. Born in Everton twenty-three years ago, he helped such clubs as City Villa, St Luke's Bible Class, White Star Wanderers and Kirkdale in youthful days. He helped Jack Elliott in training, and later forced his relection for the Reserves. In 1902-03 played with the first team and in all fourteen times helped the seniors. Last season he scored against Newcastle with a goal that will long be remembered. He has represented Lancashire, has numerous medals and assisted the North versus the South at Tottenham in 1902-03.



February 12, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.



Everton not only had the satisfaction of drawing the biggest League “gates” of the day but of securing a welcome victory. At the same time the two points were not forthcoming without an anxious five minutes in the closing stages of a hard fought struggle. At one period. Everton seemed to have the game well in hand, put a surprising exhibition of pluck on the part of Sheffield United considerably altered the outlook, and in the end the Evertonians were struggling hard to prevent an equalising goal. Still all's well that ends well. Victory undoubtedly rested with the better side, but the encounter only served to show the truth of the old adage that the game is never lost until it is won. Sheffield United, though represented by a team, which contained several new faces, evidently determined to make amends, if possible, for the previous week's disaster at Bramell-lane, where Blackpool unexpectedly threw them out of the English Cup competition.


The fact that in the first half United were favoured by the sun and the high wind was no means advantage to them and they made not a few clever efforts to open the score. Fortunately the Everton defence did not falter, and all the well-meant attacks of the Blades came to nought. Meanwhile Everton van-guard were by no means idle, and there was an agreeable exhibition of dash about their movements which augured well for them when ends were changed. Bolton on one occasion missed by inches only with a capital shot, and then when the opening half promised to be fruitless in the matter of goals a nice sequenced of passes led to Sharp banging in the ball at express speed for the leather to glide into the net off one of the United defenders. The Sheffielders might have been granted penalty for a foul on Brown, but the infringement, if such it was allowed to pass by the referee. When they had the wind behind them Everton soon settled down, and in less than a quarter of an hour Sharp had earned the distinction of accomplishing the “Hat-trick” on the football field. In each instance grand work by Hardman led to the points toward which first Young and then Bolton materially assisted. With a three goals' lead Everton's position appeared to be perfectly secure, but the reorganised Sheffield Brigade were in no way disheartened. Instead they rose to the occasion in a manner which compelled admiration, though Everton were somewhat handicapped by Sharp's leg giving way. Their first goal was headed through from a corner by Bluff, and during a period of temporary slackness on the part of the Everton defence, Brown was responsible for a really clever second goal. After this Everton had to fight had to retain their lead, and it was a relief to not a few of their followers when the whistle blew with Everton victorious by the narrow margin of three goals to two.


Of course the feature of the game was Sharp's success in the scoring line. It is given to few outside forwards in first League football to credit himself with three goals, but each one was thoroughly deserved. Apart from this the speedy winger was always in evidence until he was injured. He had too, in Bolton a partner after his own heart. Indeed, the Newcastle recruits has already become quite a favourites with the Goodison-park crowd. A hard worker he plays with fine judgement, and has adapted himself beautifully to Sharp's style. Young was more like his old self, and the left wing Settle and Hardman were for the most part clever and effective in their methods. Makepeace and Taylor were as usual full of resource, while Donaldson though scarcely up to the League standard of the half-backs, made a creditable first appearance. Hill and W.Balmer put in many neat touches and Scott kept a good goal, though he has given better displays between the upright. As to the Sheffield team Wilkinson at centre half was perhaps the most conspicuous member, Brown had few opportunities of distinguishing himself, Bromage and Lang, the outside forwards worked hard, but Johnson a reserve back, was no match for Sharp, and Bolton. Teams. Everton: - Scott goal, Hill, and W.Balmer, backs, Makepeace Taylor (Captain), and Donaldson half-backs, Sharp Bolton, Young, Settle and Hardman forwards. Sheffield United: - Leivesley goals, Benson, and Johnson backs, McCormick, Wilson, and Parker half-backs Lang, Patterson Brown Bluff and Bromage, forwards, Referee I.Green.



January 12, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 26)

For the third week in succession Everton, had two goals scored against them, and for the third time were defeated. These reverses have had the effect of completely altering their position in the table and instead of being at the top of the Combination they are now behind Accrington Stanley, St.Helens Rec, and Manchester United. Against the latter club on Saturday they failed to rise to the occasion and were beaten by two clear goals. The ground was in a wretched condition, and as the home players adapted themselves to the prevailing state of things more than did their visitors, they could claim a decided advantage nearly all through. Indeed, but for splendid defensive work on the part of Collins in goal, and Crelly and Wildman at back, the victory of the Manchester players could have been much more pronounced. Collins a difficult task all through his work in clever fashion. United put on a goal in each half, and in addition failed to score from a penalty kick. The forward work of the visitors was but moderate, and the Manchester defenders had a fairly easy time. As stated, Everton were finely served by the defence. The halves were uneven, Wright being the pick, while Birnie and McLaughlin were the best of a moderate forward line. Everton: - Collins, Wildman, and Crelly backs, Chadwick, Wright, and Payne half-backs, Birnie McLoughlin, Bannister, Cooke, and Dilly, forwards .



February 15, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.


What was described as “ the match of the season” was played at Goodison-park yesterday, when the Everton League team was opposed by a very powerful eleven got together and captained by Mr.George Robey, the well-known pantomist, who is appearing at the Royal Court Theatre. Mr. Robey is an all-round athletic, but takes an especial interest in football. He not only indulges in his hobby, but at the same time benefit charities. The proceeds of yesterday's game are to be given to various charities, and with splendid weather favouring the game, there would be about 12,000 spectators present. During the progress of the game pictures postcards of Mr. Robey as a “half-back” were sold for the benefit of the Sandon tug disaster fund. The teams got together by Mr. Robey were a powerful one. All the players were internationals except the organiser while Mr. Robey himself has several times assisted Millwall. The cup presented for the winning team was won by Robey's eleven last year, when Manchester City were beaten by three clear goals. Apart from the cup gold medals are also presented to the players taking part in the game. The teams were as follows : - Everton: - Scott, goals, Hill, and Crelly, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Donaldson, half-backs, Birnie, Bolton, Young, Settle, and Grundy, forwards. Robey's team: - McBride (Preston) goal, Burgess (Manchester City), and Morris (Derby County), backs, Parry and Raisebeck (Liverpool), and Robinson (Chelsea), half-backs, Bond (Preston), Bloomer (Derby), Lot Jones (Manchester City), Robey (Captain) (Millwall), and Booth (Manchester City), forwards. Robey lost the toss, and Taylor set his opponent to face the wind, and sun. Jones started, and after Donaldson had robbed Bloomer, Everton pressed, Birnie sending behind the goal. Makepeace and Taylor each robbed Robey in quick succession to the amusement of the crowd. It was evident however, that the “Queen” was no novise at the game, and on one occasion he made a plucky though ineffectual attempt to get past Hill on his own. Later, Hill turned a good shot over the line, the corner being worked away. Raisebeck did his side excellent services during pressure by Everton, but once Young drove the ball against the crossbar just as the whistle sounded for offside. A few minutes later McBride saved from Birnie at the expense of a corner, which was cleared by Raisebeck. Everton however, were holding a big advantage but had very hard lines. Taylor hit the crossbar, with a fine screw shot, and then Young almost got through, McBride just scraping the ball out. The succeeding corner was again fruitless, and the visitors had a turn, Makepeace getting the ball away after Hill had miskicked. At the other end Young had a great chance through a bad clearance on the part of Burgess, but shot yards over the bar. Robey was keen enough but the spectators did not take him seriously, and derived much amusement from the manner in which Makepeace robbed him. However. However, when he opened the scoring there was great cheering. The goal followed a fine centre by Bond, and with Scott only partially clearing, Robey rushed the ball into the net. Everton again took up the attack, but twice Young shot wide when well placed. The game was well contested, and the spectators had plenty of value for their money. End to end play, was the order, some capital football being shown. Everton could claim a slight advantage on the play, but the defence of the visitors was very sound. On one occasion Raisbeck gave Robey a fine opening, but the captain sent the ball in the direction of his own goal. Settle equalised in clever fashion, taking a neat pass from Grundy and running straight up to McBride before placing the ball just inside the post. The visitors retaliated strongly, and Burgess hit the crossbar with a fine shot. Taylor clearing. At the other end McBride saved good shots from Bolton and Birnie. The visiting forwards were very clever, and kept the home halves ever at work. Bond forced a corner, from which Raisebeck dropped the ball under the crossbar, Scott having great difficulty in clearing. Everton responding well Young sending across the goalmouth and outside from an awkward angle. Another corner fell to Robey's tears and from this Scott had to punch away a shot from Burgess. Towards the interval McBride stopped a capital shot from Birnie. Considering the slippery state of the ground, the first half had been productive of some capital football. Half-time – Everton 1, Robey's X1 1.

On resuming Everton were conceded a corner but Booth made a fine run, and play settled down in the Everton half. Neat play by Birnie and Bolton enabled Everton to press again, but Young missed a couple off glorious chances in rapid success. After these escapes the visitors again attacked, and Robey once failed to accept a pass when finely placed. He, however, forced a corner off Hill, but Booth sent the ball behind. For some minutes Everton were kept on the defensive although the close attentions of the halves prevented Scott being called upon. Bolton relieved the pressure by means of a capital run and Mcbride had to save from Burgess, who sent the ball in the direction of his own goal. Then Bond made a fine run and gave his side the lead with a shot from close range. Neat dribbling by Bolton enable the Blues to assume the aggressive, and Bolton was unfortunate in a good shot being turned out of goal through striking an opponent. The subsequent corner was worked away, but the relief was only temporary, for McBride had to clear from Grundy and Bolton, the latter of whom was playing splendidly. Nicely served by his partner, Booth got away and centred finely, but Robey missed his kick when the ball was centred. The crowd were highly amused at one or two mistakes on the part of the visitors captain. During a lot of end to end play, Everton had an advantage, and at length Bolton equalised, after Makepeace had taken the ball into the goalmouth. With the sides level once more, play became keenly contested and on one occasion the home goal had a narrow escape from a fine centre by Bond. From another good run, and centre by the Preston player, Scott only partally saved and Jones netted, but for some reason the referee disallowed the goal. The visitors protested strongly, but without avail. Assisted by the wind the Internationals attack with vigour, and the Everton goal had some very narrow escapes before Bond scored from Booth's centre. Soon afterwards Bloomer added a fourth goal with a grand shot, while yet Jones put on another point. Final Robey's X1 5 goals, Everton 2 goals.


February 16, 1906. The Liverpool Echo

Everton go to Nottingham to face the County, and there is a coincidence about the match. It was on October 14 that the County were beaten by 6-2 at Goodison and Oliver gained three of the goals. Simultaneously with the return fixture Oliver reappears after a long absence with the reserve team, which does duly at home to Accrington, who are making a stern struggle to win the Combination Cup this year. Stanley have a lead over Everton reserves in the matter of points, and have matches in hand as well. It is a weekly occurance which has become all too regular for the Everton directors to have to rearrange their team through injured members. After the charity match on Wednesday, Hill found both his ankles were weak, and though chosen, it is not by any means certain he will play at Nottingham. W. Balmer is sufficiently recovered and so is Abbott, and each reappears. The most serious is the inability of Sharp to assist but Birnie has but to show that vim and power of centring as on Wednesday to prove quite satisfactory. I fancy Everton will win.



February 17, 1906. The Liverpool Football Echo.



The Everton team were due to fulfil their return engagement with Notts County, at Trent Bridge to-day. The difficulty of reaching the lace capital from Liverpool may be best emphasised by the bald statement that the Goodison-park brigade left the Central Station at 9-40 under the charge of Trainer Elliott, and did not reach Nottingham until 1-35. The team was met on arrival by Mr. Cuff, the secretary, who made the interesting announcement that a new forward had been secured in the person of Donnachie, whom he signed on last evening, and whose transfer was duly registered in London, so that he might figure in the team to-day in place of Sharp, who is on the injured list. Donnachie played for Newcastle United, and is reported to be equally good at either outside right or left. In view of this capture Birnie, who travelled with the team was relieved from playing, and the Evertonians lined out as follows: - Everton: - Scott goal, W.Balmer, and Crelly backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott half-backs, Donnachie, Bolton, Young Settle, and Hardman forwards, forwards. Notts County: - Iremonger, goals, Montgomery, and Jones, backs, Emberton, Mainman, and Craythorpe, half-backs, Dean, Humphreys, Green, Tarpin, and Gee, forwards. Referee Mr.N.Whittaker.

Everton won the toss, and Notts started against a cross breeze. They immediately ran down, and Scott had to fist out a rather warm shot in the first minutes. The visitors however, speedily found their feet, and a nice combined movement promised well, but Hardman finally shot rather woefully wide of the mark. End to end play followed neither side gaining any material advantage Gee and Tarplin at length got going in good style, and the ex-Evertonian finished with a strong shot, but it went wide of the mark. More midfield work ensued and the County forwards moved in the direction of Scott, but Green was distinctly off side when he netted the ball. The whistle having already sounded, a break away by the Everton right looked bad for Notts, but Montgomery cleared his lines very cleverly, and the home side made ground on the left. On two occasions Gee ran through his field, and looked within an ace of scoring when Makepeace pulled him up. In the second instances the Evertonians did not mince matters in saving the situation, and his tactics were fully justified by the result. There was another spell of work near the centre line, and then Donnachie got going splendidly on the right. The latest acquisition looked like running through when Montogomery deliberately tripped him within the prescribed area, and the referee at once gained a penalty kick . The kick was taken by Makepeace, but to the chagrin of the Everton supporters present the popular back shot tamely into Iremonger's hands, and the Notts custodian had no difficulty in clearing. This failure to score had of course a damping effect on the visitors, and for a long time the home side had rather the best of the argument. Green brought a promising forward movement to an abrupt conclusion, in heading the ball being kicked on the head by Crelly. He received a nasty injury, and had to leave the field in order to have the curt dressed. At the same time Settle owing to something being wrong with a stocking, also retired, but the Evertonians was soon back in his place again. The game proceeded at an uneventful pace until the County left wing worked down, and Gee put in a capital shot, which was well interrupted by Abbott. After this the Everton left wing moved forward, and Bolton was in a fine position for scoring, when he shot yards wide of the mark. At the other end the County men were subsequently very busy, but their shooting was very wild and erratic, and Crelly finely cleared one dangerous rush after Balmer had failed. For some time after this play was of a distinctly desultory character, and nothing of importance accursed. The home forwards were much more aggressive, and working then their opponents, but they finished so badly that the Everton goal was rarely jeopardised, and the crowd gave vent to its disappointment when Gee, and Humphreys both missed fine opportunities of scoring. A cordial cheer greeted Green's reappearance, and with the centre forwards again in his place, the Notts attack was much better organised. The defence of the visitors, however, was thoroughly sound, and after a time Hardman and Settle made a ground but Jones dispossessed the amateur at the last moment. The home front line again took up the attack but the their shooting was arractic. The lacemen speedily returned an aggressive attitude and Gee showing a clean pair of heels to Balmer, shot right across the goalmouth but there was nobody up to take the pass, and thus a glorious change went begging. The next item of interest was a meeting between Montgomery and Donnachie, the Notts back fouling the new Evertonian and delaying the game for a few moments. Following upon the free kick Bolton worked his way nearly through, but his final shot lacked accuracy of direction, and two seconds later Hardman also missed a grand opportunity of distinguishing himself. The pace during all this time was by no means exhilarating but Notts tried to take a load through Dean, who raced down, and tested Scott with a very hot shot which the Everton custodian throw clear. The visiting were next conspicuous with a nice combined effort but it only terminated in Young heading the ball outside. Play continued to be of a scrambling character, and though Everton displayed clever footwork, the forwards always failed at the crucial moment. A collision between Settle and Jones ended in the Evertonian bowling his adversary over, and this led to some rough play for a time. Mainman being penalised for fouling the old Bury player. The County forwards gradually made ground, and Taylor was in a fine position when he shot wide of the mark. A few seconds afterwards Humphreys, from close range, put in a swift ground shot, but it passed just outside. As the end drew near Notts made renewed efforts again to lead, and Green working through, sent in a swift ground shot, but Scott was equal to the occasion, and cleared. At the other end Everton put on pressure, and after Iremonger had saved from Hardman. Taylor with a very hard drive sent the ball over the crossbar, and the game resulted in a goalless draw.



February 17, 1906. The Liverpool Football Echo

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 27)

The visit of the present Combination champions to Goodison Park promised to provide a keen and interesting struggle. After as absence of several weeks, Oliver appeared as pivot to the home attack. The visitors brought no less than 1,200 supporters with them, so that there was a good crowd present to witness the proceedings. Brunton commenced for the visitors, and the initial exchanges were of an even character and confined to midfield. The Accrington forwards were early prominent and some clever footwork caused no small amount of anxiety to the home defence. Wright and Wildman using their best efforts to avert defeat. The visitors vanguard was admirably placed when Brunton was brought low within the area, and Morris had no difficulty in registering the first point for the visitors front the resulting penalty. This success came after two minutes play and the Accrington supporters made themselves heard in no unmistakable manner. From the restart the Blues took up, he attack and Turner cleverly saved at the expense of an abortive corner. Some scrambling play, from which neither side gained any advantage, followed, and then the homester moved along in promising fashion. Cooke finishing a fine run with a clever centre, which McLaughlin was just a second too late to convert. There was no mistaking the earnestness of the Accrington players, who persistently troubled the Blues defence. Dempsey put in a good attempt, which Collins gave, and then Dilly got in a good run, and centre, from which Cooke compelled Turner to grant a corner, which proved unproductive. Towards the interval the Everton forwards seriously troubled Turner, Donaldson on one occasion causing the Stanley custodian to use his best efforts to uphold his colours. Morris put in a hard drive, which missed the mark by inches only. Accrington were pressing when the interval arrived. Half-time Accrington 1 Everton nil. Cooke equalised in the second portion. Final result Accrington 1, Everton 1. Everton: - Collins, goal, Wildman, and Hannon backs, Chadwick Wright, and Donaldson, half-backs, Dilly McLoughlin, Oliver, Cooke, and Grundy forwards.


Sheffield Evening Telegraph- Saturday 24 February 1906

Percy Hill, who is the latest addition to the ranks of the Everton team, has proved such a capable player at full back that he appears t have assured a permanent place in the team. Hill's first appearance in the team was due to illness and injury, and he has justified his inclusion to an unexpected degree. It was on the recommendation of Alfred Milward, Hill was introduced to Everton, for whom he first appeared against the Wolves on December 2 nd , playing also on New Year's Day ay Hyde Road against Manchester City. He again came into the team against Preston at Goodison Park, and has been in the team ever since. Hill was born at Salisbury in 1885, and was educated at King Edward's Grammar School, Southampton. At 11 he gained his place in the school team, and even in those early days played right back. After a season in the second eleven he was promoted to the first team, and during the last three year of his stay at the colleague was captain. After leaving school, Hill became connected with Southampton Cambridge, and was chosen skipper of the minor team, a position he held for three successive years. Several honours in local competition were secured by the club, and Hill found time during this same period to assist the Civil Service eleven, who gained first place in the Southampton and District Wednesday League. A year later he was promoted to the Southampton Cambridge junior team, where further honours were gained. He was frequently selected to represent his League against the chosen of other district Leagues, and was often appointed as captain of the side he assisted. Hill is a capable cricketer, and stands 5ft 10in. His weight is 11st.


February 26, 190. The Liverpool Courier


It was a remarkable match, which was seen at Goodison-park on Saturday. In view of the positions when the clubs hold in the football world, one would have imagined that Everton would have had no difficulty in winning the English Cup tie with Bradford City. Yet they only gained the verdict by a goal to nil- a goal too scored in the last minute of play. Admittedly Bradford City seen decidedly unfortunate in being deprived of the opportunity of playing the match on they own ground. The Second Leaguers are to be long remembered for their gallant fight when they made Everton. For practically 89 minutes succeeded in their objective, they should have been eventually beaten.


Bradford City brought with then a large number of supporters, who made their presence heard for some time before the match begin. A events turned out, they had numerous opportunities of displaying their vocal vigour, for they neglected no chance of encouraging their favourites in their commendable efforts to share the honours with the Evertonians. The game commenced under unpleasant atmospheric conditions, and at one time the fog was so intense that it appeared probable that the match would not be contested. Happily the fog cleared away as quickly as it came, and brilliant sunshine prevailed during the rest of the proceedings. Quite early on it was evident that Bradford City meant to die game. They had little hope of victory, but their one aim was to keep the Blues from finding the net. They defended with the utmost gallantry, and as a matter of fact, if they had taken advantage of opening they might have caused very considerable trouble to the home defence. The Everton attack was much below par, and some of their efforts were quite unworthy of a team of their pretensions. It was disappointing to their supporters that no score was forthcoming at the interval, but, remembering the Chesterfield experience, they fondly hoped that the second half would see the Yorkshire swamped. This however, was far from being realised, for Bradford City quite as many chances as Everton. Sharp and Oliver for a time changed places without any additional left being imparted to the Everton attack, and when a draw seemed almost certainty it fell to the lot of one of the half-backs- Makepeace- to score what was so valuable a goal for his side.


The match was throughout disappointing, certainly as far as Everton were concerned. The teams have given not a few indifferent displays this season, but it is questionable if they have been seen to such disadvantage, as was the case on Saturday. The forwards never settled down to really effective work, and Oliver's re-inclusion in the front line was by no means success. He failed lamentably to control the wings, and even when he changed places with Sharp he was no better. Still, he was not the only sinner, for the line as a whole was completely out of gear. Hardman owing to injury, was not able to do himself full justice, and Sharp was not as usual, while the inside men,Bolton and Cook, only attained moderate standard. The half-backs too, failed to reach their customary excellence, Makepeace being the best of the trio. Crelly was more resourceful than Balmer and Scott accomplished all that was required of him in finished style. Bradford City were especially strong in defence, Carter probably being the most resourceful back on the field. The halves did capital work, and while Conlin give a dashing display on the outside left, it would probably have been better for Bradford City if Clarke's fine turn of speed been more frequently requisitioned. Teams Everton: - Scott goal, W.Balmer and Crelly, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Bolton, Oliver, Cook, and Hardman, forwards. Bradford City: - Daw, goal Carter, and Roberts, backs, Robinson, Kirk, and Miller, half-backs, Clarke, McLean Smith, McMillian, and Conlin forwards. Referee A.E.Conlin.






February 1906