Everton Independent Research Data




February 1, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.



Everton left a proud record at Manchester on Saturday. They had fulfilled several League games on foreign soil this season, which opened in September and escaped defeat. But their meet their match at Hyde-road on Saturday. It was a matter of hard luck either. They were not only beaten but absolutely outplayed. How to account for such a rout as four goals to nil. It was not even that Manchester City played extraordinary brilliant football. Nothing more worse has been stirred up by Everton since there miserable exhibition against Woolwich Arsenal and Preston North End early in September at Goodison Park. It was all the more deplorable too seeing the players had enjoyed the tonic afforded by Blackpool's balmy breeze. There was no excuse for their display. The ground was hard, with plenty of ridges that had not been attended to before the frost came, but for all that it was a playing pitch with which great fault could be found. Were the men reserving themselves for the still more important engagement at Clayton in the second round of the English cup-tie. That of course is likely to be suggested as the cause of their feeble exhibition. Certainly their form was altogether too bad to be true, and one must reasonable hope for something very different this week-end.


The game calls for little in the way of detailed description. For the first quarter of an hour or so there was nothing to suggest the server reverse which followed. Indeed, with a slice of good fortune Everton might have taken the lead. However, would have been one of their opponents who would have scored for them. From Coleman's centre the ball was intercepted by Buchan, who banged it against the crossbar. It was a lucky escape for the City, who afterwards held the upper hand throughout. Half an hour elapsed before Scott was beaten. He had kept out some stinging shots, being wonderfully well supported by McCannachie, but eventually Stewart centred from near the line, Wilkinson crashing the ball into the net, with a hard oblique drive. Nearly all the play was at the Everton end, and just before the interval, Holford with a capital screw shot, placed the City two goals to the good. Whatever hope there might have been that Everton would put a different complexion on the proceedings in the second half was soon dispelled. The front line could make no headway, and in ten minutes Holford had converted a clever centre from Conlin. Everton never looked like rubbing off any of the adverse margin, and Jones was the only forward, who really troubled Smith. The spectators were beginning to leave the ground when Manchester City's rejoicing were complete, for Holford credited himself with his third goal of the afternoon.


It can well be imagined that very little in the nature of favourable comment can be written about the Everton representatives. Scott was all right in goal, and the defeat could in no degree be ascribed to any fault on his part. MaConnachie although suffering from neuralgia, was the outstanding figure on the side. He played a sterling game, and Balmer, too did good work, especially in the later stages. As for the halves and forwards they had an off day completely. The middle line signally failed to hold the City attack on check and on the other hand the home halves nearly always had the measure of the Everton forwards. Sharp, suffering from a cold, had Jones as his deputy, and the Prescot youth was by no means the worst of the quintette. Indeed he might have been given the ball oftener with better results to his side. Although Holford, the old Stoke centre half-back, credited himself with the “hat-trick” for the third time in four matches, the one player on the winning side who stood out above his confreres was the tall centre-half. Wilkinson, who simply allowed Freeman no chance to shine. All round the City men were livelier than their opponents, and without being anything great were full value for their four clear goals victory. Teams: - Manchester City: - Smith, goal, Kelso, and Burgess, backs, Buchan, Wilkinson, and Blair, half-backs, Stewart, Jones, Holford, Ross, and Conlin, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and McConnachie, backs, Harris, Clifford, and Makepeace, half-backs, Jones, Coleman, Freeman, White, and Barlow, forwards. Referee J.H. Pearson.



February 8, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.



In their cup tie at Clayton, on Saturday the Everton team had the disappointing experience of having to disconnection with the English competition after enjoying the greater share of the game. The early stages of play, the Evertonians cut out the pace, distributed the work and, indeed, did everything that was necessary, except score. It was in front of goal where they were mainly at fault, and had the dashing methods that led upto their repeated onslaught been continued when within ranges, there could have been only one conclusion arrived at and that was a fairly pronounced victory. There was too much finesse within the shooting area, and this desire to make things easy was pretty general among the forwards, who laid themselves upon to the nick or nothing tactics of the United defenders. For all that upto the closing stages of the first half of the game there was an all round superiority prevalent that even the most biassed United followers could not fail to observe. It was just before the change of ends that a chance shot decided the issue to the great discomfiture of the Evertonians. The ball had apparently been cleared after heavy pressure on Scott's charge, when Halse met it in the air and flashed it into the net, to the surprise alike of himself and spectators. Having thus got a grip of the scoring, the home players never relaxed their hold, and entered the third round of the competition by the narrowest possible margin. Taking the game all through, it was far removed from the ordinary. There was absolutely no suggestion of the typical cup-tie wrangle, and the big crowd not a few of whom hailed from Liverpool, had a most profitable afternoon's sport.


For the greater portion of the game there was little difference in the style of play adopted by both sets of forwards. As an attacking line the Evertonians, particularly in the first half of the game, embarked upon a promising plan of campaign. There were delighted touches in their movements towards goal, in which the half backs also played a prominent part, but as has been suggested, the forwards failed lamentably when everybody was prepared to see their efforts crowned with success. Left wing play during the initial period was very satisfactory, and except for the one defect mentioned. the work of the line as a whole left little to be desired. In the second half combined play gave place to individual effort, and in the closing stages there was a distinct favour of selfishness on the part of several of the players. Each seemed to be inclined with the idea of scoring without taking the bearings of others who were better places, and for this the club paid the penalty. The United forwards quite altered their style of procedure after obtain the lead. Under the generalship of Roberts, they swung the ball about and harassed the Everton backs to much purpose. They were ably backed up and if not as skilful in footwork as their opponents they were more robust and dangerous when close in.


With regard to the defensive portion of the proceedings, a fairly high standard was reached and maintained by both teams. There has probably never been witnessed a finer exhibition of half-back play than was served up by Everton on Saturday. Pretty triangular passing with the forwards was both frequent and effective, while at the same time there was a district understanding between the trio themselves. They anticipated the movements of the opposing forwards to a nicety, and when in difficulties relieved each other in most capable fashion. Half-back play on the United side was also satisfactory, but on analyzing their display it was more of an individual than collective character. The fact that but one goal was scored during the whole of the ninety minutes testifies to the solidify of the work accomplished by the rear guard on both sides. There were times when both goals were hotly besieged, and it was simply marvellous how the respective backs managed to keep down the scoring. In the respect the United showed a district advancement upon that witnessed at Anfield a week ago.


Coming to the players and dealing first with Everton, the whole side must be complimented upon the wholeheartedness with which they went about their work. There were many prominent figures in this respective sphere, but the outstanding player of the afternoon was undoubtedly Makepeace. His work was clean, incisive, and masterly, and the big crowd did not fail to recognise the successful part played by the popular Evertonians. Taylor filled his old position with consummate shill, and should retain his place, while Harris brought up the efficiency of the half-way line to an exceptionally creditable standard. The forwards were adepts at footwork, especially in the earlier stages when Young was quite a host in himself. He put the ball out of his wings, and trapped its return in most dexterous fashion, but he was unfortunately, the greatest delinquent when the finishing effort was required Dawson was a great success in the first half of the game, but in the second portion he betrayed inexperience, as he failed to get up in order to meet cross shots from the right wing. Sharp and Coleman were more prominent in the later stages, and with a little luck each might have scored. MaConnachie, though he accomplished much clever work, was obviously unwell, and while Balmer disported himself with rare judgement, Scott did all that was possible in goal. The United forwards were more rebust in their methods. They were, however, afforded little scope by the Everton halves, and none stood prominently above his fellows. At half-back Roberts was the centre of attraction, and in the disposition of his side when danger threatened he displayed characteristic judgement, while the dash of Stacey and the Coolness of Hayes saved Moger from many an ugly situation. It was a great game worthy of two great sides, and had the honours been divided, few would have been disappointed. Teams: - Manchester United: - Moger, goal, Stacey, and Hayes, backs, Duckworth, Roberts, and Bell, half-backs, Halse, Livingstone, J. Turnbull, A. Turnbull and Wall, forwards. Everton: - Scott goals, R. Balmer, and McConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (captain), Coleman, Young, White, and Dawson, forwards. Referee J. Mason.



February 8, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 24)

Everton credited themselves with an easy win at Colne. The margin in favour of Everton was five goals to nothing, and as the game at Goodison ended in the East Lancashire man being beaten by 6 goals to 2. Colne will no doubt fully appreciate the forward work of the Blues. Lacey was in particularly good form in Saturday's match, but everyone did well, and Colne were soundly thrashed.


BURY 2 EVERTON 2 (Game 650)

February 15, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.



Relieved from the excitement of English Cup tie, Everton can have only one object now, and that is to annex the League championship or, failing that, to finish the season as near as possible to the top of the table. They had a chance of improving their position on Saturday at Bury, where the home team earlier in the week had been vanquished in a replayed cup tie. Unfortunately they started the game in poor style, but after being a couple of goals in arrears they actually rubbed off the deficit and brought home a point which Bury could ill afford to loss. Perhaps there was some ground for the suggestion of leading Bury supporters that Everton were lucky to get a point. At the same time it was not the fault of the Evertonians that the Bury elevens failed to maintain the pronounced lead, which they established early in the game. Probably the fact that Everton equalising goal came from a penalty kick, and that a Bury goal was disallowed on account of offside had a great deal to do with the disappointment which prevailed at Gigg lane.


The game can only be described as reaching a modern standard. In the first half Bury were distinctly the better side, but it's the later stages Everton were just about value for a point. Of course it must be remembered that Everton on account of calls by Ireland for the international were not fully represented. Still they was slackness about their display for a full half-hours. The opening half which was not at all pleasing to the followers of the club who had made the journey to Bury. It was during this period that the home team scored their couple of goals. Both were unexpected, and probably on this account Berry, who deputies for Scott, might have appeared to be at faulty. The first came from a chance shot on the of Hughes. Bury outside right, the ball striking the inside of the post and glancing into the net. The second was the outcome of a fine bit of work by Duffy, one of the cleverest outside left in the League. After a good run he dashed the ball across and Hibbert running between the backs headed it into the net, Berry making an unsuccessful effort to reach the ball. Happily with the encroaching interval, the Everton attack imparted a little more energy to their play, and after one grand centre from Sharp had missed the mark, Freeman easily converted another from the same player. After the change of ends there was a well come improvement in the play, both sides, Everton in particular putting more life into their work. Coleman had the ball in the net right away, only to be ruled offside, and later McIntosh shared a similar fate, the only goal being obtained by Sharp as the result of a foul on Young in the penalty area, thus Sharp scored from a penalty kick , and the game ended in a draw of two goals each.


Berry was not a Scott, in goal. He was obviously nervous, and should have saved one of the goals, but still it would not have been the fault if his side had lost. The forwards certainly retrieved their reputation somewhat in the second half. Earlier they had exhibited something of the lackadaisical mood, which was in evidence in the Manchester City match –playing the ball, when it came to them, but waiting for it to come. Freeman again disappointed, and as a wing Sharp and Coleman were superior to Young and Barlow. The Everton captain was responsible for most of the dangerous attacks on the Bury goal, but the most consistent and successful figure in the line was Coleman. Taylor and Makepeace were the pick of the halves. Adamson did many clever things, but he did seem to stay the full ninety minutes. Balmer and MaConnachie were for the most part thoroughly reliable defenders, and it was through their efforts that Berry had a comparatively easy time. Bury did not strike one as being by any means a great side. Their defence was very shaky at times, but in Duffy and Hibbert they posses a couple of forwards who would be an acquisition to any club. Teams: - Bury: - Raeside goal, Lindsay, and Parke, backs, Humphreys, Rae, and Bullen, half-backs Hughes, McIntosh, Hibbert, Kay, and Duffy, forwards. Everton: - Berry, goal, R. Balmer and McConnachie, backs Adamson, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young, and Barlow, forwards. Referee A. Adams.



February 15, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 25)

Everton trounced Bury at Goodison Park by five goals to one. If the Blues second string can only maintain the form, they will have again to be reckoned with for championship honours. Right from the start the home forwards displayed fine combination though for some considerable time the Bury rearguard defended stubbornly. At length Buck secured possession in his own half, and sprinting past all opponents, centred beautifully to Jones, who had no difficulty in opening the score. Buck scored the second goal with a surprise shot from the touchline, the visiting custodian being deceived by the fight of the ball. Jones was responsible for the third goal, and at the interval, Everton led by three goals to none. The second half opened after the fashion of the first, with the Blues dominating the attack, and White and Mountford added further goals. From a breakaway Tufnell notched a point for the visitors with lighting drive. The features of the match was the masterly exhibition of the Everton forwards who simply walked through Bury defence, and could they have subdued a tendency to indulge in unnecessary finessing, the score might have reached double figures. Mercer, the goalkeeper secured from Prescot Wireworks, had not opportunity of proving his abilities. Everton: - Mercer, goal, Strettell, and Meunier, backs Rafferty, Borthwick, and Clifford, half-backs Buck, Chetwood, Jones, White, and Mountford, forwards.



February 15, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Scott, Harris, and Lacey played for Ireland against England at Park Avenue, Bradford on Saturday, losing by four goals to nil, Scott Harris, and Lacey –did well, the first named performing wonders in goal.



February 22, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.



Sheffield United will have reason to remember –not with any, satisfaction –their League encounters with Everton during the season 1908-09. On the 17 th October, at Bramell-lane, at a time when Everton were carrying everything before them in away matches, the “Blades” suffered the indignity of being pulverised to the tune of five goals to one, and in the return engagement a precisely similar verdict was recorded against them at Goodison Park. Thus Everton have not only extracted maximum points from Sheffield United, but have enhanced their goal average by 10 to 2. There was no question about Everton's superiority on either occasion. The latest victory too, was doubly welcome, inasmuch as it is only the second League triumph, which the “Blues” have earned since the New Year. One has to go as far back as the 2 nd January for their previous win in the League tournament, and then, curiously enough, they registered five goals against Bristol City.


The form of the home side on Saturday delighted the crowd, which must have numbered a good 20,000. Sheffield United were made to appear very small fry, but this was due not so much to the weakness of the visiting eleven as to the strength of their opponents who had matters all their own way until the closing stages, when they were inclined to take matters easily. Right away the Evertonians seemed to get into their stride, for only a couple of minutes had elsaped when White centred for Coleman to convert. Sturgess was not far off equalising, but the Blues attack was irresistible, and after Coleman had enabled Freeman to smash the ball past Leivesley, “Tim” added a third on his own account. All this happened in a little over 20 minutes, and no wonder the spectators were on good terms with themselves. A fourth might have followed, for Freeman placed Coleman nicely in possession. The inside man shot hard enough, but it was too straight at Leivesley, who for all that effected a splendid clearance. Hobson and Hardringe both tested Scott, but Everton crossed over with a comfortable three goals lead. They were quickly at work again, and before many minutes had elapsed Freeman had a trio of goals to his credit. The first was the outcome of clever play by Sharp and Coleman, while largely a judicious pass contributed the other to from White. In neither instance did the centre forward forget to put plenty of power behind his efforts. Although hopelessly outclassed, the Blades, to their credit be it said, never relaxed their energy, and they deserved the one goal which fell to their lot, and which was obtained by Hardinge, after Batty had banged the ball against the upright.


For some time have the Everton front line, and halves been seen in such a brilliant form. As a matter of fact they had really eight forwards on the field, so admirably did the trio not only break up the opposing quintette, but plied their own men with judicious and well-timed passes. Off the three Harris, without the slightest disparagement to his colleagues, was distinctly the conspicuous figure. He was a rare glutton for work, which was always accomplished, in masterly style. With the halves in such effective humour it was only natural that the best efforts of the front line should have been forthcoming. Freeman returned to his scoring form with a vengeance, for he added another hat-trick to his record. Moreover he shots were the result of perfect trapping of the ball, followed by a finish and a string that put the crowd on excellent terms with themselves. For hard graft and all round efficiency Coleman was without a rival, and it befitted the occasion that two of the goals should have fallen to his credit. Sharp helped his partner with good judgement, but the veteran Needham did not allow too much latitude. Many clever things were done by Young and White though showing he was unaccustomed to the outside position, was concerned in at least a couple of the movements that directly lead upto scoring. Scott had a comparatively easy afternoon, and from this may be gathered the effectiveness of Balmer and MaConnachie. The Sheffield United attack was for the most part at the mercy of the Everton halves, and only Needham had success in stemming the tide of disaster. Leivesley was hard pressed throughout the proceeding, and nothing but a big slice of luck would had enabled him to keep the scoring down to narrowed dismensions. Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal, R. Balmer, and McConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young, and White, forwards. Sheffield United: - Leivesley, goal Benson, and Brooks, backs, Parker, Stargess, and Needham, half-backs, Hobson, Batty Pears, Hardinge, and Evans, forwards. Referee W. Chadwick.



February 22, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 26)

Everton have the honour of being one of the two visiting clubs to win. They were set a stiff task at Accrington, but once again the forwards were in fine form, and the Goodison Men credited themselves with a 4-1 victory. All the scoring was done in the second half, Chetwood (2), Buck, and Mountford doing the needful for Everton, who have now gone into second place . Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Borthwick, and Clifford, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Jones, Chetwood, and Mountford forwards.



February 1909