Everton Independent Research Data


Lancashire Evening Post - Thursday 01 January 1903
At Bury, before almost 12,000 spectators. Bury played the same team as against Liverpool, and the visits were minus Settle, Sheridan crossing over and Taylor appearing. Play started in a lively manner, both custodians being tested within two minutes from the start. Everton persistently attacked, and the result of pretty combination Taylor scored after seven minutes' play. Amidst keen excitement a few minutes later Richards forced a corner off Balmer, and from the kick beautifully placed. Gray equalizing. Bury were now showing better form, and several times the Everton goal was in danger. Then followed bombardment of the Bury goal, and shot after shot was sent in only to be returned. Both sides made strenuous efforts to obtain the lead, and eight minutes from the interval Taylor again put Everton ahead. Half-time —Everton 2, Bury 1.

Lancashire Evening Post - Thursday 01 January 1903
At Goodison. McEwan, Evertons new recruit, turned out, and made a successful first appearance by scoring a goal for Everton. At the interval the home team led by one goal to nil. Subsequently Chadwick scored again, and Everton continued to have the best of play except for an occasional break-away by Bury, but the visitors could not score, and they were well beaten. Result Everton Reserve 2, Bury Reserve 0.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Friday 02 January 1903
Played at Bury, yesterday, before 14,000 people. Everton pressed at the outset, and Taylor scored after five minutes, Gray equalising five minutes later. Interesting play followed, and seven minutes before the interval Taylor again put Evertn ahead by 2 goals to Bury 1. On resuming both sides made a poor show, the home forwards being particularly faulty. matters improved, and Bury got going, Sagar again equalising after twenty five minutes' play. Some energy was now put into the play, Everton being most dangerous, but Leeming from a free kick put Bury in front ten minutes off time. Gray scoring again on time. Result; Bury 4, Everton 2.

BURY 4 EVERTON 2 (Game 429)
January 2, 1903. The Liverpool Courier
The Everton team opened the second portion of their season by visiting Bury, a centre that has not formerly been for them a happy hunting ground for League points. On arrival at the East Lancashire town there were evidences that the game would be interested with by fog which had hung ground since early morning. Unfortunately the Everton directors had perforce to after their original selection of the team, for Settle was reported unfit for play, and it was thus necessary to drop Taylor into the inside position with Sheridan completing the left wing with Rankin. The Bury team was represented by the same side that defeated Liverpool last Saturday, and the men appeared as follows: - Everton: - Whitley, goal, Henderson, and W Balmer backs, Wolstenholme, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, Brearley, Sheridan, and Rankin, forwards. Bury: - Monteith, goal, Lindsay, and McEwan, backs, Johnston, Leeming and Ross half-backs, Richards, Wood, Sagar, Gray, and Plant forwards. Referee Fred Kirkman. There would be about 10,000 spectators present. Everton having loss the toss opened play five minutes after the advertised time. Booth placed his right wing in possession and Sharp, with Wolstenholme, gave McEwan plenty of work. Eventually Plant raced off, and easily beating Henderson, swing the ball across to Wood, who tested Whitley with a swift ground shot, which the custodian got away. Play was interesting and the ball travelled speedily from end to end. Then followed some capital play by the Everton right wing and centre, and ably backed up by Booth, Sharp was enabled to get in a fine dropping shot which McEwan did well to clear. Returning again the visiting right were once more prominent, and after several passing movements, Taylor clinched matters by shooting a clever goal from fairly long range. This success came after play had been in progress six minutes, and the Bury forwards recogising the seriousness of the occasion, put in great pressure and tested Whitley with a shot that however, did not give the custodian much trouble. The home half-backs at this juncture were playing a great game and were most persistent in their attention to their forwards. At length Richard got the better of Abbott and forced a corner. This was splendidly placed into goal and Gray getting his head to the ball, diverted it into the net thus equalising point coming after twelve minutes play. Getting to work again, the Bury forwards looked like getting through when Booth and Balmer checked their movements. Then a moment later the side clamoured for a penalty against Henderson, who had tripped up Gray within the area. On consulting the linesmen. Mr.Kirkham refused the point. Then Whitley had a near squeak, as Wood stood in front with an open goal but to the disappointment of the crowd, he shot high over the bar. Everton then had a turn at pressure, the left wing this time being prominent, but unluckily for them Brearley drove over the bar. Returning again Taylor sent in a high dropping shot, which Monteith ably attended to. Then came a rasping centre from Rankin, which Lindsay did well to get away. Excitement now ran high, as the Everton forwards simply bombarded the Bury goal, which had several narrow escapes of being captured. The pressure continued with a brilliant shot from Sharp and Monteith saved on his knees, the ball taking a curious curl over the bar. The resulting corner came to nothing, and by means of a free kick against Henderson, the home side contingent took up a favourable position. McEwan tried his luck, and shot ridiculously wide. After a futile attack by the Everton left, Richards got possession on Balmer missing his kick, and with a clinking shot, just skimmed the bar, and a little later, Wood headed into Whitley's hands from a pass by Plant. There could be no mistaking the earnestness of the Bury forwards, and but for the defensive play of Balmer, Booth and Abbott, the home side must have taken the lead, at length the Everton forwards pulled themselves together, and after Rankin had sent in a couple of centres, which went astray, a third was pounced upon by Taylor, who with a lighting shot, defeated Monteith for a second time. This point came eight minutes before the interval, and the home team extended themselves to their best efforts. Bad shooting marred their otherwise good work, but danger threatened, as the result of a corner kick, given against Balmer, Johnston met the ball, but as before the finishing efforts were very futile. Half-time Everton 2, Bury 1.

Immediately on resuming Brearley led on a strong attack and after defeating the backs, was unlucky enough to find a brilliant shot almost from the line rebounded from the crossbar. A few minutes later Richards grazed the bottom of the posts with a magnificent shot, and for some time capital all-round play was shown by both teams, and success seemed assured as Brearley darted between the backs. A long kick from Balmer caused Monteith to throw away, and much of Everton's success at this juncture was due to the alertness of Booth, who was very prominent in anticipating the passing movements of the opposing forwards. Abbott just drove with terrific force, but was a trifle wide. Plant and Gray had hopelessly beaten two ugly rushes on the Everton goal was saved in plucky fashion by Balmer after Henderson. Bury were now most aggressive and a series of attacks ended in Sagar scoring after 25 minutes play, from a pass by Johnston. From this point play became keener than ever, and both sets of backs were kept fully extended. On one occasion, Sheridan had a clear course, but was unlucky enough to shoot straight at the keeper and following several sharp runs by Richards, and Plant, the ball went to Leeming, who drove hard and low into the corner of the net. There were now ten minutes left for play, and five minutes from the close, Gray added a fourth. Final result Bury 4, Everton 2.

January 2, 1903. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination (Game 18)
Having defeated Liverpool at Anfield by two clear goals, Bury visited Goodison Park yesterday to oppose Everton. The home side played their new man, McEwan at inside left, the teams facing as follows: - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, R.Balmer, and Buxton, backs, Clark, J Russell, and Makepeace half-backs Wolfe, Chadwick, Morton, Dilly and McEwan, forwards. Bury: - Montgomery, goal, Hodson, and Gregory, backs, Mills, Archer, and Butterworth, half-backs, Lamberton, Ross, Storey, Booth, and Tyldesley, forwards. The weather was very dull, but there was a good attendance when Storey started the game for Bury. Even play was the order for some time, but the Bury forwards showed the smarter form, and on one occasion Balmer cleared well, after Ross had run through and dropped the ball well into the goalmouth. Everton worked their way down the other end, where McEwan forced a corner, but placed behind. From another flag kick, Wolfe nearly got through, and a little later Morton justed topped the bar with a long shot. Good play by the Bury forwards led to Kitchen having to run out to clear. A moment later Lamberton sprinted down his wing in grand fashion, and shot in hard and low. With the other forwards all in the goalmouth, Kitchen saved on the ground, the goal having a wonderful escape. The visitors attacked hotly for some time, and in quick succession Kitchen, Balmer, and Makepeace kicked away good shots. Then Everton went down on the right and Chadwick hit the bar, and on Dilly sending in from close quarters, Montgomery saved finely. This was the commencement of a warm attack on the Bury goal, but the custodian saved his shot, while the custodian also cleared from Balmer. Then Lamberton got away, Kitchen saving grandly, but from the free kick a warm shot from Storey struck the custodian, and was cleared-a lucky escape. After a lot of poor play by the home forwards, Wolfe beat Gregory and shot into Montgomery's hands. Just before the interval McEwan scored a splendidly for Everton, who led at half-time by a goal to nil.

On resuming Everton attacked for a long period. Wolfe ran right through the defence, but was unaccountably given offside. Next Montgomery saved a fine shot from McEwan. Then Bury had a turn, Booth sending close while Kitchen had to handle following a free kick. Next Lamberton scored from a corner, but the point was negatived presumably owing, to Kitchen having been impeded. Chadwick spoil good work by his partner through wretched passing on two occasions but he afterwards got in a good centre, Hodson heading away. Play was stooped for a few minutes owing to Tyldesley being winded, and on resuming Russell forced a corner, which was cleared with difficulty. Wolfe and McEwan each sent very close with cross shots, and during warm work in the Bury goal, Everton twice appealed for penalty kicks. However, Morton scored with a grand long shot. Bury were next awarded a penalty Kick, but Kitchen saved grandly. Play afterwards was keenly contested with Everton the smarter team, but nothing further was scored, and Everton won by 2 goals to nil.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 03 January 1903
Everton have made new capture -Marshall McEwan, of Ruthorglen, a Scottish Junior inside left forward, 19 years old, 5ft. 9in. high, 11 stone weight, reputably smart dribbler, fine combination player, and a grand shot goal. He played for the Reserve team New Year's Day, and will probably make his debut for the league team against Newcastle United on the 10th inst. That means the displacement of Bell, supposing that McEwan is satisfactory: and as Bell was born in 1871 has clearly passed the age limit at Goodison, which is 28. He ought have retired from football for good in May, 1898, when he left Everton to go to Celtic; had then reached the allotted span existence as footballer, at Goodison, and I cannot think what Everton were about to re-engage such an old stager last season. The new man, McEwan, is lucky to be so young. He is only 19, so that he has nine years of football in him still. It does not matter whether the football in good or bad; the age is the thing. A man has no right to play good football at Goodison, at the indecent age of 31, like Bell, and 37, like Chadwick. They ought be thinking of making their wills, and ordering their funerals as footballers, and because they did not do these things Everton reminded them of their duty, and shunted them.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 03 January 1903
Although they defeated the Trotters by three goals to one, last Saturday, the “Toffees” had no means the best of the play. Bolton ought to have broken their egg at last, in their nineteenth venture. Their defence was much superior to Everton's, and it was a sarcastic commentary on Everton's judgment that Struthers, one of the numerous rejected of Goodison. was the best back on the field. The Bolton shooting was defective, and it was here that they lost the game. What is the use of forwards who can't get goals ? The whole object of the five goal-getting, and when men fail in that, they fail in everything. It must be extremely discouraging to such backs to have such forwards in front of them. The blame, of course, falls on the backs, least in the eyes of unthinking peopte; it is, therefore, fair to the Bolton back division to point out that though 55 goals had been scored a couple of them, five of them have got only 18 goals to their credit. There ia too much defence, not sufficient defiance, in the Bolton team.

Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 05 January 1903
Everton had their revenage on Middlesbrough on Saturday. The win was not very exhilarating, and it was well that the Everton team had not to meet one of the crack combinations, for it is evident that the Everton players of the present day are not doing justice to th reputation of the club. The backs bore traces of the changes so frequently made, and the halves and forwards played variably. The old uns in the forwards came back and did good work. The Middlesbrough men lacked go at the critical moment of the game.

January 5, 1903. The Liverpool Courier.
Brearley scores hat trick in twenty-minute spell, during second half.
For the first time in their history Middlesbrough appeared in a League fixture at Goodison Park. The weather was exceedingly pleasant for the time of the year, and there was a good attendance. In the Everton, Bell re-appeared after a somewhat prolonged absence. The visitors had the assistance in the centre forward position of a well-known amateur. J.H.Gettins. Teams: - Everton: - Whitley goal, W.Balmer, and R.Balmer, backs Wolstenholme, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, Brearley, Settle and Bell, forwards. Middlesbrough: - Williamson, goals, Hogg, and Ramsley, backs Smith (captain), Jones, and Muir, half-backs, Watson, Macauley, J.H.Gettins, Goodson, and Carrack forwards. Referee C.P.Campbell. Everton won the toss, and Gettins set the ball in motion. The wind was blowing across the ground, and the spin of the coin was of no particularly advantage to either side. Play opened in interesting fashion, the first item of note being a fine attempt by Taylor. A moment later the same player and Settle indulged in some pretty passing, as the result of which Settle directed a really beautiful shot at Williams, who brought off at the expense of a corner, a wonderfully fine save. Following the corner kick, young Balmer came within an ace of opening and scoring for his side. There was no mistaking the earnestness of the Everton forwards, who kept the opposing defence, busily engaged. A long fast shot from Wolstenholme, found Williamson on the alert, but the resulting corner was feebly utilsed. Suddenly play was transferred to the other end. Watson obtained possession, and though hampered by the backs he managed to get in his shot, the ball striking the upright and going over the line. Again returning to the attack, a mistake by Ramsay boded danger to the visitors. Jones however, intervened, and kicked clear. The bulk of the attacking came from the Everton right wing. Bell at this stage scarcely having anything to do. A long shot from Abbott was wide of the mark, although Taylor forced a corner the Everton attack was unable to turn it to account. The Northerns next attacked, but the brothers Balmers defended strongly, both with regard to kicking and tackling. The play had opened out more, and the exchanges were decidedly interesting, Once Settle had a chance of a shot at goal, but Hogg beat him in the race for possession, and the danger was overcome. A good centre from bell went a begging, and then Sharp forced another abortive corner. Everton maintained Strong pressure, and the downfall of the Middlesbrough goal seemed imminent when Abbott obliged by shooting over the bar. Still the progress of the game was mostly in favour of Everton, whose halves rendered great assistance to the home front line. Bell and Brearsley tried hard to open, the score, but found the visiting backs in fine form, while Settle after smart work by the forwards, placed the ball wide of the upright. The pace seemed to have fallen off, and in the absence of goals the crowd exborted the teams to “play up” Certainly the display at this period was by no means exhilarating. After midfield play, Sharp got clean away, tricked Ramsey and running down the field, centered to Taylor, who was right in front of goal. Taylor, however, missed badly, and a moment later Brearley was equally at fault in dealing with a centre from Bell. Then the Middlesbrough forwards asserted themselves. Watson centring nicely to Macauley, who headed over from almost under the bar. The succeeding play was mostly in favour of Everton, whose attempts at goal were wretched, several nice chances being absolutely thrown away. Half-time Everton nil, Middlesbrough nil.

At the resumption there would be about 15,000 people present. The visitors were the first to exert pressure, and Whitley in the first minute had to handle from Jones, while immediately afterwards Gettins shot into his hands. Gradually play was transferred to the other end, where Settle was presented with a nice opening, but his shot was sadly lacking in direction. Similarly Gettins was at fault when he had a good chance to defeating Whitley. Next Everton attacked vigorously, but for the time being, beyond a couple of abortive corners their efforts were not rewarded. Still keeping up the pressure, Taylor after receiving from Sharp, centred from near the line, and the goalkeeper falling in clearing the ball was placed in the net by Brearley. This success imparted a little more interest to the game. The Northerners showed up prominently, and once Taylor falling back came to the rescue of his side in the nick of time. Everton, however, quickly returned to the attack, and as the result of a centre from Bell, Brearley got his head to the ball, and scored a second goal. There was now no holding in the Everton forwards, and the Middlesbrough defenders had a very anxious time. Sharp was continually a thorn in their side, and it was surprising how the visitors goal escaped further downfall. Wolstenholme made a really creditable effort to register a third goal. Williamson being lucky to effect a clearance. From a run down the wing by Bell, the Middlesbrough custodian was forced by Settle to concede a corner. In dealing with a centre from Bell, the goalkeeper failed to hold the ball, and Brearley had no difficulty in scoring his third goal of the afternoon. Everton had the best of the game to the close. Final Everton 3, Middlesbrough nil.

January 5, 1902. The Liverpool Mercury
Another moderate display of football was witnessed at Goodison park, where Middlesbrough were the visitors, due, probably, to the latter giving about as feeble an exhibition as need be desired, whilst the home side rose, just sufficiently above their opponents in point of quality as to be able to annex the much needed couple of points. Everton were certainly superior to the Teessiders, though this must be taken to convey the idea they were by any means brilliant, and a fairly average eleven would just have played havoc with either of the teams. In the first half, was this particularly the case, and such a wholesale aimless meandering in midfield was there such a monotonous succession of rapid slip shod movement that brought nothing but weariness of mind to the beholders that the interval, which arrival pointless- a fitting result to the 45 minutes' suppositious football- came as a grateful relief.

For about ten minutes after the commencement of the game, the Everton forwards gave the impression that strict business only was meant, and the Middlesbrough custodian had to be exceedingly active to avert disaster in these early stages. By degrees the quality of the play deteriorated, and whereas the visitors appeared to have no conception of the road to the Everton goal, the home forwards emulated them in most successful fashion as the game progressed. Near the interval Booth and Abbott showed what could be done by a judicious of shooting, but the half fizzled out, and its departure caused no regrets. Afterwards some slight improvement was manifest in the play of the Everton front line, but Middlesbrough went on with their dreary plodding, and finished as they had begun with nothing to their credit. Six minutes after the restart Brearley, who had up to this juncture been the most dismal failure in the Everton forward division, scored after Williamson had fallen in clearing a centre from Taylor. But fortune had not yet finished showering her favours on the Everton centre, four minutes later the same player put on a second, and a third followed from a like source. Truly, the tickle danic was in her most tickle mood, though perhaps, it was but another example of the natural sequence of things that the honours should go to the quarter least deserving of them. It would be a difficult matter to find anything in this game about which one could become enthusiastic. The forwards play on both sides was mediocre, though Everton were certainly a bit above their opponents, and the latter must have been experiencing one of their worst days, for they seemed to have no idea of scoring, and when they got the ball in midfield, were so laboured in their efforts that they made no perceptible headway. There were occasional periods when The Everton forwards showed something approaching decent form, namely, in the first quarter of an hour, and from the time they scored their first goal, to the acquisition of the third. Sharp obliged with a few capital sprints and centres, but the latter were wretchedly utilised by the inside players. The left wing was barely passable in point of merit, and the only thing that Brearley did was to score all the goals. It was not allowed to many to play so feebly, and still be the means of securing all the points gained during the game, but doubtless the centre's trio of goals, will take the possession of riches cover a multitude of sins. But, if Everton were moderate in attack, what can be said of their opponents. A feebler set of forwards could scarcely be unagined; they possessed neither “combination”, “cleverness”, nor “ability” to shot, and many a second rate them would have soundly thrashed them. Defence on both sides was of a more reliable character, Williamson, the visitors custodian saving some capital shots, though he was always at fault with the centre from Taylor and the shot from Bell, which led to the first and third goals respectively. The full backs kicked very vigorously, but why they should have resorted to the one back game in the last twenty minutes is difficult to understand. With the application of a little intelligence the Everton forwards should have made the most of a chance of this sort. The half-backs were fairly good, but as a train Middlesbrough gave the impression that they will be fortunate in escaping relegation to the Second Division, on the form shown in this match. On the Everton side Whitley had about four shots to stop, and these all came in the second half, for he only handled once in the first moiety, and that was to prevent the concession of a corner. The brothers Balmer formed a good line of defence at full back, and certainly shaped as efficiently as any combination tried in this position this season. The halves were a serviceable trio, Wolstenholme leading the way, and they easily held the ragged forwards opposed to them in check. Booth for once, sent in some good shots, which enabled the keeper to reach them, whilst Abbott was more dangerous near goal than all the remaining forwards put together. It is, however, such games as these that cause one to wonder if League football at the present is worthy to be compared with the doings of seasons gone by.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 10 January 1903
The Rovers' directorate made a happy capture when they secured Monks a few weeks ago. He is a native of Lancashire, having been born at Ashton-under-Lyne. It was there that his football enthusiasm was roused, and as a youngster he revelled in a game of socker. Assiduous practice made him a capable player, and in the course of time he joined Stalybridge Rovers, for whom he played when they won the Lancashire League Championship. Then, through the medium of Glossop, he made his debut in the Second Division; and, afterwards, when he signed for Bury, he came into the first-team company. With the Shakers he performed a short period, at the expiration of which he transferred his allegiance to Everton of whom Tom Booth, the ex-Rover. is now captain. Unfortunately for Monks the forward line was such a character as to prevent him appearing frequently. The Blackburn club, however, wanted an inside right badly, and his services were requisitioned. After one match with the Reserve he was selected to partner Arnold Whittaker, the Rovers' crack shot. That very day created favourable impression; the way in which fed the outside winger filled everybody with delight. Against Liverpool on Saturday he gave a very promising exhibition, and showed a spirit of determination.

A Through Grafter
Always at work, he manages to secure openings which a less perservering player would fail to produce. he is never selfish, and his comrades know that he will place the leather at their disposal at the opportune moment. Dewhurst and Whittaker have between them an exponent who uses his head as well as his feet, and the goalkeeper has to be for ever on the alert when Monks approaches the haven wherein he wishes to deposit the ball. Off the field he is a quiet and retiring young fellow. Modesty is one of his chief traits. However, long one converses with him one never hears him refer to his own achievements.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 10 January 1903
Everton did not really cover themselves with glory defeating Middlesbrough Goodison last week-end. The football was slow, the proceedings deadly dull; not even the music of a capital band could prevent people from yawning. On form at 'Anfield and Gooduson the Tees-sides are the worst team the eighteen; it is a mystery to how they are among the eighteen clubs that have "sat on" the Trotters.” The old Middlesbrough amateurs were a better team than the present pros.”; the defunct Ironopoiis could have given their successors goals and a beating; and I say as though well aware that I thereby taking the shine out of Everton's victory over them. Let it be so; the Toffes have no cause to plume themselves their success, for they beat the most moderate lot of performers of the season seen at Goodison.

There is talk of more changes at Goodison. Some well-known player will be put off altogether, instead for a time only, unless they buck-up'' At Goodison, McEwen, the new outside left, made successful debut scoring the first goal for the Combination against Bury Reserve. Bell is back in his old place, which seems to indicate that McEwen will not oust him just yet, and no doubt the knowledge that McEwan is waiting to step into his shoes will stimulate Bell to do his level best. I believe the threat to sack them all would stimulate the Toffees more than any number of bonuses for a win. Provision is be made immediately Goodison and Anfield, in accordance with the League's recommendation, of baths and hot water for visiting teams. At Goodison part of the directorial stands will adapted to the purpose, and thus turned some use at the directorate no use at all.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 10 January 1903
This season it has been arranged to do away with the qualifying rounds for the the Liverpool Senior Cup and leave the result to fought out between Everton and Liverpool. It was also left to these two clubs to arrange for choice of ground, and in this respect Everton won, and the match will played at Goodison Park on Saturday, January 24th. "The proceeds of the gate will be divided into “thirds,” the Association taking one and the rest divided between Everton and Liverpool clubs.

January 12, 1903. The Liverpool Courier
At Goodison park, Everton played ten men in the first half, Boardman being the absence. Play ruled in favour of the visitors, who scored through Danson in half an hour. Good work by Wolfe resulted in McEwan equalising and at half-time the score was one goal each. In the second half, Joyce completed the home side, he took Kitchen place in goal, the latter playing at outside right. Everton had rather the best of matters in this half but neither side scored again. Everton: - Kitchen goal, (Joyce 45), Wildman, and Buxton, backs, Clark, Rissell, and Chadwick, half-backs, Rankin, Morton, McEwan, Kitchen (45), and Wolfe, forwards.

January 12, 1903. The Liverpool Mercury
It was distinctly unfortunate that Everton should have been called upon to make the long journey to Newcastle without the satisfaction of having even one kick at the ball. The conditions of the weather, however, absolutely precluded any idea of football. The team as on other occasions of their visit northward, made that favourite seaside resort-Tynemouth-their headquarters and reached Newcastle shortly afternoon on Saturday. On Thursday a keen frost was followed by a heavy downfall of snow, and in order to avoid a recurrence of the frost, the surface was covered with a liberal supply of straw. Quite a change took place on Friday night, when rain fall copiously, and this continuing during the afternoon there were then doubts as to weather play would be possible. On clearing the ground, it was found to be in a most wretched condition, and an inspection by the referee, the officials and captains of both clubs resulted in the postponement of the fixture. There could be no question that those concerned were quite justified in their decision, especially as at the time a keen northeast wind accompanied by a heavy downfall of sleet prevailed. There was a suggestion brought forward by the Newcastle United executive that the Everton team should remain over the weekend, in hope of deciding the fixture today but there was no prospect of the ground being fit for some time, and the fixture will come up for decision later in the season.

More than ordinary interest centres in Everton's game next Saturday at Goodison Park. The directors of the club have decided to devote the net proceed of the League match with Wolverhampton wanderers to W.Balmer and S.Wolstenholme, both of whom have, during their connection with the club, not only been consistent players, but have always done their utmost to raise the standard of play to the highest level. The popular full back has had seven years association with the club, and very rarely indeed has he been found wanting in the faithful discharge of his duties. Many of his best displays have been given at a time when the clubs prospects were greatly at stake and none can deny that he is worthy of the club's and the public's consideration. Of the right half-back, more can nothing be written but in terms of high commendation during the six years which he has been identified with the club, and it befit the occasion that such a statesmen of opponents of the game should be couple together as beneficiaries of what promises to be a keen and interesting match. Only have expenses will be deduced from the gate, and under these circumstances, and especially in view of the signally successful services they have rendered season tickets holders will readily paid the ordinary charge for admission on such an occasion.

London Daily News - Monday 12 January 1903
Rain fell continuously on Saturday in the Newcastle district, and in spite of every precaution the ground was flooded. It was, therefore, decided to postpone the above match.

Everton Reserves v Preston NE Reserves
Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 12 January 1903
In Everton Reserve v. Preston North End Reserve game on Saturday the North End forwards were smart, but rather weak in front of goal. Howarth and Walton were the pick. The back division had little to do, for play was of an an usually open character, and " friendly,” rather than a straggle for points. Everton played only ten men in the first half, but had their full strength afterwards; McEwan, their latest recruit, again scored for them. The peculiar decisions of the referee spoiled what would have been good game; they told especially hard on the Preston forwards, for ” offsides ” them whenever they passed the Everton backs, and once he gave a decision that puzzled players, spectators, and himself alike!

Lancashire Evening Post - Tuesday 13 January 1903
The secretaries of Everton F.C. and Blackburn Rovers F.C., which clubs are drawn against each other in the semi-final of the Lancashire Cup, had a conference yesterday in reference to the date of the match. As a result the toss Everton won. As players from both teams are likely to be engaged in the International trial match on the 26th inst, it has been arranged that the semi-final take place on Monday, 19th, Goodison Park.

Portsmouth Evening News - Saturday 17 January 1903
Arrangements for the Everton trip are now complete, the London and North-Western Railway Company will provide the carriages to go right through in each direction, two trains will run, and 20 saloon and corridor coach parties have been provided for. A 15 minutes stop will made at Rugby, both going and returning, for refreshments (hot tea and coffee. etc.). The down train arrivess at Rugby about 4.-30 a.m. 13 hours will given in Liverpool. Tickets should be secured early, or the sale will be absolutely stopped after Wednesday, February 4ih, or increased fare charged.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 17 January 1903
There was a lot of grumbling at Goodison because the League match with the Wolves was also a benefit match for Balmer and Wolstenholmes. Not that the public grudged these worthies their benefits; but season ticket admit to all matches except Cup-ties and benefits, and ticket holders objected to pay again to see a match for which they had already paid when they took their tickets out. The affair, too, was sprung on them without notice, beyond that on the placecards; many came with little or no loose cash in their pockets, and when challenged, were not able to pay had they wanted to. They contested the right of the club to charge for a match that was a League as well as a benefit match; there were big blocks before the gates, and angry scenes and the matter is not likely to end here; I hear it is to be made a test case before the League, and if necessary, carried to a Court of Law.

Lancashire Evening Post -Saturday 17 January 1903
Next saturday Liverpool and Everton are to meet at Goodison in the Liverpool Cup Final. They have taken no part in the preliminaries; in fact, they were not entered for the Cup; their reserve teams were, though and by a novel and pleasing arrangement, unparalleled in any other Cup competition, the juniors now step aside and let their "pals" put on the gloves for the final boat. Last season's final between the reserves was a bit of a "frost” but with Liverpool and Everton in the arena, the Kudos will rattle on the plate, and local charities, will be the better by several hundred pounds -Everton are playing Blackburn in the semi-final for the Lancashire Cup at Goodison on Monday.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 17 January 1903
Curiously both Everton and Liverpool experienced wretched weather last week, thouugh playing 200 or 300 miles apart. All the other League clubs seem to have experienced nothing worse than windy weather; in a few cases it was beautifully fine; the Egyptian darkness and the deluge at Anfield were not without their compensations, for they just saved Liverpool from a sound thrashing, while at Newcastle the Toffees would have had to perform in vastly diffierent styles from the past seasons to return without the customary oair of sspectacles. I note that they resisted an inviatation to stay in Newcastle over the week-end, and play a game on Monday, or rather they were not allowed to accept it.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 17 January 1903
They are still tinkering with the Toffee team at Goodison. Settle is now centre forward -he has been in every other position forward, but of course there are several moves left, such as half-back, back or goal, and I should not be surprised if he filled all of them in success on before the end of the season. It is a grand thing to be in the Everton team; you get such varied experience. By the time the club have done with him a Toffee is an all-round man -Jack of all, but master of none. I wonder why they don't change the officials sometimes? But, of course, the officials themselves won't do so -they draw their salaries like clockwork -the public will have to, if at all, and possibly one of these days it will dawn on the intellegent frequenter of Goodison that the road to success is not by changing the team but the officials.

January 19, 1903. The Liverpool Courier
The League match at Goodison park on Saturday was set apart as a benefit for W.Balmer and Wolstenholme. Both players have rendered signal services to the club for several seasons past, and the generosity of the directors was recognised by the supporters of the club who despite the cold weather turned out in good numbers, fully 10,000 being present, when the game started. After the several frost the ground was naturally on the hard side, but it had been liberally sprinkled with sand. Teams: - Whitley, goals, Henderson and W.Balmer, backs, Wolstenholme, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs Sharp, Taylor Settle Sheridan, and Dilly forwards, Woplverhampton Wanderers: - Baddeley, goal, Jones and Betteley backs, Whitehouse, Walker and Annis, half-backs Fellows, Beats Smith, Woolridge and Miller, forwards, Referere P.R.Harrower. The Wolves started the proceedings and after some slow play in midfield Fellows received the ball, but finished feebly shooting outside the post. Then the Everton left ran down, and Dilly got in a neat centre from which Baddaley threw away. This led to further pressure on the Wolverhampton goal, and Booth eventually shot into the goalkeeper's hands. Settle was penalised for charging the custodian, but the free kick brought little relief to the visitors. Settle got in past the backs, and propelled the ball swiftly across the goalmouth, just massing the upright. Next Sharp forced a corner, which was disposed of, but a moment later he shot the ball against the upright. Then Whitley was called upon to run out and clever from fellows. But the general run of the play was in favour of Everton, whose forwards on the hard ground display “nippy” movements which were ever a source of trouble to the Wolves “defenders” The Wolves forwards also display nice passing and Miller was sadly at fault in his final attempts to open the score. Still the visiting side were smart on the ball and their efforts were eventually rewarded. As the result of a centre from Miller Beats got his head to the ball and scored a beautiful got with which Whitley had no chance. During this period Dilly had left the field, apparently to charge his boots. The Wolves continued to have a very fair share of the game and it was only through Abbott's remarkable cleverness that the threatened downfalls of the Everton goal were averted. At the other end Sheridan was at fault, but still the Evertonians put in all they knew. Sharp and Wolstenholme were prominent workers and as the outcome of skilful manipulation of the ball. Abbott banged in an unexpected bouncing shot at Badderley, who effected a marvellous save. Whitley when called upon was quite safe, and then Baddeley ran out of his goal, but Dilly was just a little too late to turn the opening account. At this stage the Wolves defence had all their work cut out to strive off disaster. Fortunately the backs were steady, while Baddeley was on his best behaviour, being applauded for a capital save from Booth. There was more nice work by the home forwards, and this time Taylor was at fault, while immediately afterwards Dilly made poor use of a fine opportunity. Everton attacked persistently they could not overcome the sterling defence of the Wolves. After all such persistent pressure as Everton maintained was bound to tell its tale. From a free kick for a foul upon Sharp the ball was placed in the goal mouth, and Dilly outwitting the goalkeeper centred neatly, only too see Sharp miss the pass. The ball, however, was returned to Abbott, who after dodging a couple of opponents sent in a shot from long range which completely beat Baddeley. The crowd received the equalising goal with hugh delight. It also had the effect of enlivening into proceedings. Both ends were visited in raid succession, and once Settle, with a fine opening shot very wide of the mark. There were other good efforts by the home front line, but for a time they were not pressed home. Just before the interval, however, Dilly got in a lovely centre, Baddeley fisted the ball away, but Settle fastened upon it, and had no difficulty in placing Everton ahead. Immediately afterwards the whistle blew for the interval. Half-time Everton 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers 1.

Smith restarted before 12,000 spectators and Everton attacked. Exciting play was witnessed in the Wolves goalmouth, and Baddeley kicked away, from Abbott's “header” Henderson got a big kick with a lot of spin on the ball, and Baddeley had to exert himself to clear. Still the Wolves were kept in their own half, and Sheridan might have done better with a fair opening than shoot yards over the bar. Next Abbott tricked a couple of opponents in clever fashion, but Dilly was robbed close in. Still the Evertonians continued to bang in all sorts of shots at Baddeley, who maintained his charge intact in very clever fashion. At this period there was only one team in it, and that was not Wolverhampton. The Everton attack were for the most part engaged in the process known as “rubbing it in.” Still the visiting defence withstood the pressure in gallant style. After a while they transferred play to their opponents half, but there was little in their attack, with the result that Whitley was in no way troubled. Aided by a free kick the Wolves made a longer stay than usual in the vicinity of the Everton goalmouth, where Fellows experienced rather hard lines with a shot, which struck one of the Everton defenders. At length the home left took up the running, and a goal seemed assured, when Dilly sent high over the bar. A corner afterward's fell to them, and a lighting shot from Abbott missed the upright by inches while a smart effort by Settle was cleverly dealt with by the Wolves custodian. Everton continued to have all the play, and the brilliant goalkeeping of Baddeley only saved the Wanderers from a more severe defeat. Result Everton 2 Wolverhampton Wandwerers 1.

Athletic News - Monday 19 January 1903
Bruce Rankin was born in Walton close to Goodison Park, some 20 years age, and was educated at the Arnott-street Board schools, which also turned out Crelley, the Everton left back, and White of Liverpool Reserve.  After leaving school he played centre forward, and at times inside right, for a junior team named St. Luke’s but later turned out for a club of higher repute in the junior world –City Villa.  He was centre forward for this eleven, and among his clubmates were Marquis and Corrin, each of whom afterwards played for Everton, whilst the latter is now at Portsmouth.  After being the inside right for Kirkdale, one of the smartest of the Liverpool junior clubs at the time, he joined Everton as assistant trainer and player.  Rankin’s display at outside right quickly obtained for him a permanent place in the reserve team, and with the League eleven he filled Sharp’s position when the latter was unable to play.  When bell was disabled Rankin was tried for the first time in his career at outside left, and played a particularly fine game against West Bromwich in mid-December.  He stands 5ft 7ins, and scales 11st.  He has a splendid turn of speed, is a good shot, centres well on the move, and has all the makings of a class man.  His selection, however, is as great a surprise as when A.C. MacLaren took Sydney Barnes to Australia as his crack bowler.  We shall see, as the French say.

Athletic News - Monday 19 January 1903
J. Whitley, who has been keeping goal for Everton in their League matches since Christmas Day, is of local extraction, and was connected in the earlier days with a junior Cheshire organization –Sercombe Swifts.  In rapid succession he assisted White Star Wanderers and Darwen, but about five years ago was signed on by Aston Villa, with whom he stayed four seasons.  Unfortunately for him he rarely got a chance with the League eleven, for the Midlanders had obtained the signature of a young man named George, whose ability was beyond question, and Whitley had to content himself with displaying his talents with the reserve eleven in Birmingham League football.  When this combination chose a side to oppose an eleven picked from the Lancashire Combination clubs, there was no doubt as to who should be selected as custodian, for Whitley had no superior in the class of teams he was brought into contact with.  One of these fixtures was played at Everton, and the Goodison Park executive had a fine sample of Whitley’s abilities, and no doubt this exhibition had its influence on them.  Indeed, so potent was his performance that Everton secured his transfer at the end of last season.  He played so well with the reserve eleven that when Kitchen was thought by some people to be showing signs of staleness; he was drafted into the League eleven, and played his first game with them at Grimsby on Christmas Day.  He has “filled the breach” since, and in the four games in which he has taken part has been beaten on five occasions, though four of these were put on during a rough experience at Bury on New Year’s Day.  He stands 6ft, and weighs 13st.  Whitley has nothing but praise to record concerning his treatment by the Villa people, and the only reason that weighed with him in severing his connection with them was the magnet of home.

January 19, 1903. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination (Game 19)
At Oswaldthwiste. At the outset Everton attacked Wolfe putting in two dangerous centres. The pressure from the visitors put on two goals, Wolfe and Makepeace doing the needful. Makepeace added a third from a penalty kick and McEwan put on a fourth. At the interval Everton were leading by 4 goals to nil. The home side scored from a penalty kick after the interval but Wolfe added another goal for Everton, who won by 5 goals to 1. Everton: - Kitchen, goal R Balmer, and W Wildman, backs Clark, Russell, and T.C. Chadwick, half-backs Rankin, McDonald, Sugden, Makepeace, and McEwan, forwards.

January 19 1903. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton gained an easy victory over Wolverhampton at Goodison Park, though the final figures only read 2-1 in their favour. They monopolised the bulk of the attack, and it was only occasionally that the visitors caused Whitley any anxiety; indeed in the second half the custodian handled the ball twice, proof sufficient of the moderate character of the Wanderers attack. Fully 12,000 spectators were present, and despite the protests of a certain section of ticket holders, Woltenholme and Balmer who share the proceeds of the gate should derive a substantial benefit. The ground was exceedingly hard, but had been plentifully besprinkled with sand, and the Everton players appeared to find little difficulty in gaining a firm foothold, though this might have been largely due to the original manner in which they were shod. They opened in sprightly fashion, Settle and Sharp respectively experiencing bad luck with shots, which whipped across the goalmouth and struck the upright. The Wanderers indulged in neat passing at times, and curiously enough, they who had been chiefly defending up to this juncture were the first to score. Miller got down on the extreme left, and centred prettily in front, where Beats jumping up met the ball and headed it into the net giving Whitley no chance of clearing. The visitors came near scoring again a few minutes later, but Abbott dashed in front and took the ball from his toes of Smith, who was just about to shoot. At this period the Midlanders were having quite a fair share of the play, but the home players eventually retaliated strongly and but for dalliance when within shooting range must have quickly equlaised. An exciting series of exchanges near Baddeley ended in Abbott receiving some distance from goal, and with a tremendous drive the left half placed matters on a level footing again. Three minutes from the interval Dilly sent across a very fine centre, which Baddeley could not get away, and Settle promptly, netted the second point. Everton opened the second half in exhilarating fashion, and fairly bombarded their opponents goal, but Baddeley defended in splendid fashion, and, as a matter of fact, was not again beaten. For a brief period during this moiety the Wanderers seemed like making a good fight of it, but they fell away as the game progressed, and it was left to Badderley to prevent the defeat from becoming a rout. He saved brilliantly from Settle, Sheridan, and Sharp in rapid succession, and near the finish the last named ran clean through, but shot outside the upright. Everton owe their victory in a great measure to the excellent display of their half-backs, each of whom showed form of the highest standard. Chief amongst the trio was Wolstenholme, whose tackling and placing of the ball to his forwards left nothing to be desired. Abbott was likewise very prominent by reason of his determined efforts at goal, and Baddeley had some rare shots to stop from this source. Booth simply paled by comparison, and thanks to the efficient work of this line, the Wolverhampton forwards could never get into their swing. In the front rank Settle did not shape badly in the centre, some of his footwork being very tricky, but he was not so dangerous with his shooting as is usually the case. Sharp displayed some sparkling work on the extreme right, his runs and centres always boding danger to the opposition, whilst of the others Sheridan and Taylor got through a tremendous amount of work, the former passing prettily but being weak near goal. The Everton defence was seldom harassed, the full backs having the measure of their opponents whenever called upon. The most prominent figure on the visitors' side was Baddeley, whose custodianship was of the highest standard. Shots were literally rained upon him, but he dealt with all alike and but for his valiant efforts the final figures would have shown a much wider margin. The rest of the side gave a very ordinary display, the full backs kicking erratically when hard pressed, whilst the halves and forwards were seldom seem to advantage. Beats worked hard at inside right, but rarely was a sustained attack witnessed, and they were unable to circumstance the opposition of the home halves. To-day the Everton League team play the Rovers in the semi-final of the Lancashire Cup competition. With the exception of Bowman in the centre, the side will be the same as defeated the Wolves Settle going inside left and Sheridan partnering Sharp in the right.

Derby Daily Telegraph - Tuesday 20 January 1903
This semi-final tie of the Lancashire Cup competition was played this afternoon, at Goodison Park, before a good attendance. The first half was hotly contested, and Brearley scored three goals for Everton, Bowman barely missing. The Rovers showed good football, but the Everton defence was too much. In the second half the Rovers pressed, but the Everton backs were safe and realible. Whitley effected fine save. Result—' Everton three, Blackburn none.

January 20, 1903. The Liverpool Mercury
Lancashire Senior Cup, Semi-Final
Everton met the holders of the Lancashire Cup at Goodison Park Yesterday, before a crowd numbering fully 5,000 persons. Both sides were well represented and a well-contested game was witnessed, which ended in the defeat of the Rovers by three clear goals. Everton quickly established their supremacy, Brearley converting a capital centre from Dilly after ten minutes play. Immediately following this, some smart passing by the home forwards ended in Brearley again scoring after which the Rovers exerted some pressure, but could not make any impression on their opponent's defence. The Everton front rank were always dangerous when in possession, and another creditable movement between Rankin and Brearley ended in the latter securing his third goal. This was the state of affairs at the interval, but on resuming the Rovers made desperate efforts to reduce the adverse margin. Whitley was called upon to clear fine shots from Bow and Whittaker, and saved in good style on each occasion. Everton however returned to the attack, and Dilly missed a fine chance of placing his side further ahead. In the closing stages the Rovers adopted the one back game, and this detracted from the interest. Nothing further was scored, Everton deservedly winning their way into the final round, when they will have to meet Bury or Preston North End. Everton: - Whitley goal, Henderson, and W.Balmer, backs, Wolstenholme, Booth (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Rankin, Sheridan Bowman, Brearley, and Dilly forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - McIvor goal, Crompton and Eastham, backs, McClure, Logan, and Jones, half-backs, Whittaker, Hoyne, Dewhurst, Bow, and F. Blackburn, forwards.

January 23, 1903. Lancashire Evening Post
Having ten days to spare at the end of the season, Everton think of going “on the Continent” for a tour, chiefly in Austria. A picked team of internationals, it will be remembered, visited Austria a couple of seasons ago. And had some football and a lot of fun. Chadwick and Toman had offer to stay behind as trainers. Speaking of Toman, I am told that he is once more back in hospital. He has played for Everton only once since September, 1901, when he was kicked in the first match at home against the Wolves, and he has not kicked a first team ball since, for though his leg healed, and bone had become diseased again, and he is no longer able to play, and I suppose, never will do so again. The Toffees have treated him very indulgently, and he cannot complain if he is not signed on again. It is a sad ending of a brilliant career.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 24 January 1903
Trouble is brewing over the benefit match for Wostenholme and Balmer last week at Goodison. The match benefited nobody—players, spectators, or club. The rebate allowed ticket holders of one shilling to the two shilling, and sixpence to the shilling stands reduced the proceeds by just one-half, so that the 10,000 who saw the match with the Wolves were equivalent only 5.000 at a proper benefit. Would not have been much better to make the match a “ benefit ” all round, for the spectator as well as the player? Wolstenholme and Balmer would undeserving objects if they could not draw 5,000 spectators. The crowd would then have paid willingly ; last Saturday they stumped up grudgingly as the Jews did when their “ stumps ” were drawn to make them part with the shekels.« The legality of the charge is to be tested, and I suppose if the decision goes against the club, Everton will pay damages and costs out of Wolstenholme and Balmer's benefit!"

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 24 January 1903
BY Perseus
In his younger days Moses was not doing very well in Preston; indeed, he was in rather low water. The promise of a trial with Accrington was eagerely grasped, but being out of work he found it necessary to walk, at all events part of the journey. En Route he met the famous Blackburn and Everton centre, Jack Southworth. "Hello, Moses, what are young doing here?" said the crack forward. "Going to Accrington for a trial," "Why don't you take train?" "No money," said the Prestonian. With a generosity characteristic," said the man, Southworth quickly slipped a piece of gold into Sanders's hand, and wished him "Good luck," in his trial. The two actors in this little episode kept the matter to themselves until Moses told the story under curious circumstances. Southworth was always a terror in the centre, and one day when North End were playing Everton, Moses was given instructions to watch him, and bowl him over when necessary –and you know Sanderscould be energetic and vigorious when he liked. "We quite thought he would put a spoke in Southworth's wheel," remarked Drummond, "but to our surprise he gave a most ladylike exhibition, so much so that we chaffed him a good deal after the game," "Ah it is very well," said he at last, "but what would you have done with a fellow who gave you a sovereign when you were hard up and having to walk to Accrington for a trial? Would you knock him about?"

January 26 1903. The Liverpool Courier
Liverpool Senior Cup Final.
It was a happy idea, which led to the decision that the League teams of Everton and Liverpool should meet and fight for possession of the handsome cup of the local association. Not only in this way does the association get a substantial contribution to its funds but the great local rivals also have a large share in the gate. The spin of the coin decided that the match should be played at Goodison Park, and as the weather on Saturday was mild and bright there was a big gate. Mr. Watson Rutherford, M.P., accoumpared by Mrs. Rutherford and party witnessed the game and at the close Mrs. Rutherford presented the cup and medals. Teams: - Everton: - Kitchen goal, Henderson and W.Balmer, backs, Wolstenholme Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp Taylor, Brearley, Settle, and Dilly forwards. Liverpool: - Perkins, goal, Glover, and Dunlop, backs, Parry, Raisebeck, and Goldie, half-backs, Goddard, Livingstone, Raybould, E.Chadwick, and Morris forwards. Brearley kick off in the presence of at least 17,000 spectators. Liverpool immediately got down on the right and Goddard centred. Livingstone shooting the ball against Balmer. The outside man again got possession and beating Abbott put in another centre from which Chadwick shot the wrong side of the upright. From the goalkick Settle carried the ball down, and was fouled by parry. Raisebeck however, nicely cleared the free kick. After Perkins had been called upon by Taylor to handle the Liverpool front line put in some beautiful work. Twice Goddard centred gloriously. On the first occasion Raybould got his head to the ball, but sent the leather wide and next Chadwick placed the ball into his hands of Kitchen, who smartly saved. In a twinkling Everton were back at the other end. Glover was penalised for pushing, and the free kick was only got rid of with difficulty, the Evertonians making a bold effort to open the scoring. Still the exchanges were interesting by reason of the fact that first one side, and than the other assumed the aggressive. Goddard forced a corner off Balmer and following the kick from the corner flag Raisebeck headed in only to find Kitchen quite safe. As the result of another visit to Everton's half Raybould was pulled for offside, when about to shoot. The home forwards soon got into their stride again and was particularly dangerous for some minutes, being more than a match for the Liverpool defence. From a centre by Dilly Taylor headed in the ball. Perkins threw away but Booth promptly returned it, and the ball going off one of the Liverpool players. Dilly who was lying well placed on-side. The Everton outside left had a glorious chance of scoring but to the disappointment of a large section of the crowd he unaccountably missed the ball. During subsequent play Raisebeck's wonderful heading was noticeable. Brearley too was applauded for a clever individual effort, at the end of which he sent the ball wide of the upright at lighting speed. There was no deterioration whatever in the quality of the play, which had been of a very high standard throughout. For once the spectators were afforded a real treat. So far Everton were able to claim a slight superiority, but there was very little in it. Chadwick delighted his admires with a grand shot, which was splendidly dealt with by Kitchen and for some minutes the game was contested in Everton's half. Free kicks were rather frequent, although the game could by no means to be described as rough. From one of these kicks Brearley sent in the ball, and Perkins, apparently in trying to divert it round the post, threw it into the net. Fortunately for Liverpool, the whistle had just previously gone for an infringement of the rules-presumably for Brearley being offside. Liverpool carried operations into the other half, and after some exciting exchanges were awarded by a rather easy goal. Livingstone centred, and Raybould rushed up, but judiciously allowed the ball to pass him. This finesse drew off the Everton backs with the result that both Chadwick and Morris had an open goal. The latter tried his luck, and easily banged the ball past Kitchen. Liverpool, having opened the scoring, pressed vigorously, and came near registering another. Then the Everton vanguard were prominent, and profiting by Glovers miskick gained a corner, which was badly utilised. Half-time Liverpool 1, Everton nil.

There would be upwards of 20,000 spectators when the game was resumed after a rather prolonged interval. Liverpool went off in rare style, and in the first minute Chadwick experienced the mortification of missing a lovely centre from Goddard. The Evertonians were kept on the defensive for some time, though Kitchen was not seriously troubled. A foul against Goldie enabled Everton to exert pressure, which was only neutralised when Raisebeck's clever back heeling again placed his forwards in possession. This time Balmer was to the fore, and the Liverpoolians were soon defending their goal. The attack was not sustained, and midfield play became the order until Chadwick afforded an opportunity to Morris, which was not accepted. Moment later the ex-Evertonian gave the ball to Morris, who this time sent in a nice centre, which called for Kitchen's best efforts. The Everton forwards now put in some fine work, and Sharp sent in a magnificent shot, which, Perkins handled in masterly style. Play changed rapidly from end to end, and there was plenty of excitement for the spectators. Another fine centre from Sharp sailed across the goalmouth, the Everton right wing, at this stage being most conspicuous. Parry was penalised for fouling Settle a few yards away from the penalty line and following the free kick, Sharp shot ridiculously high. Then for Liverpool forwards returned the compliment and Kitchen and his backs were kept busily engaged. A corner was forced, and after some clever movements Glover sent at lighting speed over the bar, Livingstone though hampered by Balmer tested Kitchen and at the other end Brearley brought Perkins to his knees with a fine efforts. A moment later the same player was again in evidence, but this time he shot was not so difficult. The game continued to be most exciting and enjoyable, both sides putting forth their best efforts. Everton came near scoring but they found the Liverpool defence too much for them. Five minutes from the finish, Goddard scored a second goal as the result of a beautiful centre from Chadwick. Final result Everton nil, Liverpool 2.

January 26, 1903. The Liverpool Courier
At Chorley, on a heavy ground. The home side played a strong game throughout. In the opening half they scored four goals, Everton replying through Rankin and Wolfe. Chorley continued to have the best of matters after the interval, and added three more goals. Everton: - Joyce, goal, W Wildman, and Crelly, backs, Clayton, Clark, and Chadwick, half-backs McDonald, Boardman, Young, Wofle, and Rankin, forwards.

January 26, 1903. The Liverpool Mercury
The final tie in the Liverpool Cup Competition which was brought together the Everton and Liverpool teams at Goodison Park, proved an immense success, not only from a spectators, but likewise a pecuniary, point of view and whilst both clubs and the local association will do well of it, everyone who witnessed the encounter could not fail to be delighted with the exhibition given by the respective sides. In fact a new lease of life should be given to the competition; and with the Shield tourney in favour with the junior clubs and the senior trophy left to the premier teams of the city, the association should be fully relieved of its financial difficulties in the future, With the players on both sides entering into the game under notice with genuine enthusiasm, all doubt as to the success of the innovation was set at rest, and the struggle for possession of the handsome cup and medals should become one of the chief features of the local season. There was no mistaking the earnestness of the two teams, and viewing a contest that reminded one of a stubborn League engagement, so fiercely was the contest waged rewarded the crowd, which numbered over 20,000 persons. Liverpool scored once in each half thus retaining possession of the trophy, and they may fairly be said to have deserved their success, for taking the play all round, they were the better side. There was nothing to choose between the teams in the first half, but after the interval there could be no mistaking the superiority of the Anfielders, who displayed from which was distinctly in advance of that shown by Everton.

In the early stages it appeared as if the home forwards would lead the way in the matter of scoring, and Dilly missed a glorious chance when only a couple of yards from the goal post by completely misjudging the course of the leather. The custodians on both sides were frequently tested, and Perkins on one occasion threw the ball into the net, in the act of cleaning, but the referee Mr.J.Adams, Birmingham disallowed the point and awarded Liverpool a free kick close to the goalline. It was close on the interval when Livingstone dashed down the right and centred to Raybould, who appeared as if he were going to shoot, but instead he allowed the ball to pass onwards, where Chadwick and Morris were unmarked, and the latter had no difficulty in registering the first goal. Immediately on resuming, Chadwick obtained an open goal from a splendid centre from Goddard, but mulled the chance, and the game waged more and more in favour of the visitors, until the inside left made amends for his previous failure by flashing across a beautiful shot, and Goddard, coming up at full speed, headed the second goal. This decided the game completely, and though in the short time remaining for play, Everton made desperate efforts to reduce the margin against them they could not get the better of the sturdy defence shown by Perkins, Glover, and Dunlop.

Speaking of the victors first, little but praise can be awarded to them, for their defence was remarkably sound, while their forwards were more dangerous, and displayed better combination than the home quintette. Raybould led the van in good style but the most effective work came from Goddard who put in some excellent runs and centres. Chadwick and Livingstone rendered useful service, the former giving Morris numerous chances, of which however, the outside man did not take the fullest advantage, and this was the least successful branch of the Liverpool front line. Further behind Raisebeck was a host in himself, and his defensive work was particularly fine; Goddard accomplished a vast amount of quiet work, but Parry spoiled his play in the first half by indulging in illegal tactics, though it is only fair to add that after the interval no fault could be found in this direction. Glover was the better of the backs, his clean kicking and powerful returns being a conspicuous feature of the play of the Liverpool rear division while Perkins kept a good goal, though the occasion, when he flung the ball into the net was a decidedly curious one.

Everton were not particularly happy in the forward division, but their defence was very line, particularly in the intermediate line. The front rank adopted the long kick and rush methods, Brearley hanging as closely to the Liverpool full backs as it was possible to get; consequently the work of this line was not so pleasing to witness neither was it as effective as that of their opponents' attacking line. Taylor infused any amount of energy into his play, and Brearley adapted himself to the prevailing methods very well but he was rarely able to shake off the attentions of the Liverpool centre half. The extreme wingmen were not very prominent and Dilly was not marked success, while Settle has been seen to greater advantage. Booth and Abbott were the pick of the home halves, the latter achieving some very tricky work, but he was not allowed to indulge his shooting propersities. Henderson and Balmer proved a capital pair of backs, and Kitchen was never at fault in goal for the shots, which beat him, gave him no chance of clearing. After the match, Mrs.W.W.Rutherford, wife of the newly elected members for the West Derby Division, presented the cup and medals to the winning team. The proceeds of the gate amounted to £530.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 31 January 1903
At Rossendale before good gate. The visitors won the toss and played with the wind. Rossendale began well, Cox heading brilliant goal after seven minutes' play. The visitors tried hard to get on even terms, but the Rossedale defence prevailed. The United made matters warm at the end, and Kitchen saved three wonderful shotrs. Half-time— Rossendale 1, Everton 0. Rossendale put Everton on the defensive at the opening of the second half, and Crelly saved smartly from Walker. Cunliffe sent through for Rossendale, but was ruled offside. After 15 minutes Young eualised. Kitchen had several warms shots. Cunliffe scored again for Rossedale, after half an hour and Everton again equalised from a corner. Result-Rossedale 2, Everton Reserves 2

Dundee Evening Post - Saturday 31 January 1903
At the end of the season, when Everton played Dundee, a representative of Dundee approached the Everton secretary re Muir's transfer, but the price asked, viz., was out of question far as Dundee was concerned. Muir, hearing this, appealed to the League, and they ordered to put him on the transfer list at £100. A slight reduction, wasn't it? Dundee lost no time in arranging matters, and wisely so, as the day Muir travelled from Liverpool to arrange terms with Dundee a wire, was despatched to him by the 3d L.R.V. offering substantial terms, but he preferred Dundee. Dicky Boyle was strongly recommended by Muir, and had the benefit of tree transfer matters were soon arranged, and also adhibited his signature to the necessary forms.



January 1903