Everton Independent Research Data


January 2, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
It was a famous victory. Having struck the winning vein at Sunderland, the Everton directors wisely decided to rely on the same team to give battle to Bolton Wanderers at Goodison Park, and though it was only after much heartburning the Blues won in the last half-minute. Although they had dominated the play during the whole of the second half with the exception of these breaks away, defeat stared them in the face when, with only a few minutes to go, the referee decided that Jock McDonald had fouled Joe Smith in the penalty area. The latter, however, took the penalty kick , and pulled the ball of Fern's left-hand upright. Just wide. Straight from the goal-kick Everton resumed their persistent attacks, and with almost the last kick of the game Fazackerley picked up a pass from Harrison and rammed it into the net from close range. Hinton never seeing the ball. It is a traism that all successful goalkeepers are lucky, and this certainly applied to Hinton, who had not the faintest notion of what was happening when Sam Chedgzoy slashed the leather at him in the first half and the ball rebounded from the custodian's knees. It was sheer skill, however, which enabled him to go full length along the line to get his hands to a ground shot from Irvine in the second half and his anticipation of cross passes from either wing was remarkably accurate. The Bolton backs also did well in the first half, but along with the halves they collapsed under relentless pressure in the concluding period, so that the forwards rarely saw the ball. In the first half, however, the visiting attackers were very good, although both Vizard and Donaldson were inclined to hang on too long and the play into the hands of the opposition.

Regarding the visitors Fern played with all his accustomed sureness when it is remembered that he sustained a nasty strain to the right wrist in dashing out to stop a Smith rush in the first half, and although it affected his handling subsequently he kept his goal intact. Both backs showed a tendency to pass to the goalkeeper in the opening stages, but relied more upon their own efforts later and presented a sturdy front, which the Trotters could not penetrate. The bulk of the work fell upon the halves, and never this season have they been seen to greater advantage. They ran the visitors off their feet and supplied the men in front with well-judged ground passes, which were a treat to witness. Where all were so good it would be invidious to individualise and in saying that Harrison, Fazackerley and Chedgzoy were the pick of the forwards one casts no reflection on the juniors of the line, as both Wall and Irvine were good without having the polish of their partners. However, in such good company they are bound to develop, and on Saturday's display it will be difficult to displace them. The teams were: - Everton: - Fern, goal, McDonald (captain), and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Fleetwood, and Peacock, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Wall, and Harrison, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Hinton, goal, Haworth, and Jones, backs, Rowley, Seddon, Jennings, Donaldson, Jacks, Longsworth, Smith, and Vizard, forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 02 January 1922
George Beare, having a slight Injury, was unable to appear as outside right in Bristol City’s matches against Barnsley. But he played on December 24 against Nottingham Forest.  As ages are reckoned among football folks Beare is not young. Although not so full of years as Brittleton, the little man, who hails from Southampton, must be either 35 or 36—figures which are sufficiently wonderful. When he left Southampton for Blackpool in 1908 he proved himself at his ease anywhere in the forward line. But Robert Balmer and Val Harris found him such an elusive outside left in a Lancashire Cup-tie that Everton secured him and transformed him into an outside right.  His first match for Everton was on November 12, 1910, and he remained at Goodison Park for nearly four years, commencing with Cardiff City at Niuian Park in the autumn of I9I4. A few weeks ago he was transferred to Bristol City, and at once took up his position on the right wing. Like Arthur Goddard, whom he followed at outside right for Cardiff, when the ex- Stockport and "Liverpool forward had obliged by moving to inside positions, George Beare has proved good wearing material. One day some of his brother players were chaffing him about his age and his activity when Beare, with a laugh, replied, “Quite right, lads. The day will come when you will pay a ‘bob' to see me play." That sally became a standing joke in the club.  Of course Fred Stewart the manager of Cardiff was pleased to have a chat with Cassidy, now residing at South Shields.  Mr. Stewart asked him if he went to see little George Beare play with Bristol City at South Shields ground on November 19. "No,” said Cassidy. I remembered what Beare used to say; no shilling from me to see him play, and let him crow about it."Some jests, some passing words, are remembered for years. Beare has a nimble wit, and is that type of player whose flashing repartee and light badinage help to keep a team merry and bright.  Said Fred Stewart; “I was sorry to part with George Beare –a nice little chap.”  A lubricant is welcome in every dressing room for there is plenty of drab about the life of a player, especially when defeats arrive too often. 

January 2 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
At Burden Park Everton participated with Bolton Wanderers in a draw of one goal each, both points being scored in the second half. Play opened at a rattling pace, and the Blues immediately worried the home defence. Bolton replied with a couple of shots, with which Salt successfully dealt, and after that the visitors were continually attacking. Pym, the Bolton keeper had quite a warm time, and with a little bit of luck came out well, so that at half-time there was no score. The Wanderers were quickly aggressive in the second stage, and Jones gave them the lead in the first two minutes. The Blues pegged away and obtained the equalising though McGiveney after twenty minutes.

January 3 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton go form success to success in a manner which thoroughly delights their supporters, and having secured seven points out of a possible eight in their last four matches are now able to look forward to their cup-tie engagement with quantity to beat Bolton who are so high in the table, and follow this up by a victory of three clear goals against Sunderland is “the stuff to give em,” to use Army language. They thoroughly deserved their success, as all through they were the more finished team. Play had been in progress over half an hour, however, before they took the lead, Wall, with his head converting a free kick nicely placed by Chedgzoy. The second half had only just opened when Irvine was given a great chance. He was half a dozen yards from goal with only Dempster in front of him. The keeper dropped to his knees and threw up his hands as though praying for help, but Irvine drove straight at him. However, a couple of minutes later the home centre forward was placed again, and this time made no mistake. Last in the game Fazackerley made assurances doubly sure with a capital goal, this completing the scoring.

Salt, who was deputising for Fern, suffering from a wrist injury, had very little to do, thanks to the efficiency of McDonald and Livingstone. The back pair also had to be thankful to the halves, who played storming football, and besides subduing the Sunderland defence, were able to see that the men in front were well supplied with takeable passes. As a result the forwards were continually in the picture, and Chedgzoy particularly in the first half was a host in himself. He had not so much to do in the second half, for then Harrison took up the running, keeping the ball dropping in the centre where the middle men bustled the Sunderland backs unmerefully, all three, as stated, finding the net. On the form the Blues are one of the most dangerous combinations in the country, and with luck in the draw should go far in the Cup competition. Dempster kept a good goal for the visitors, but the backs and halves were overplayed, and the over-elaboration of the forwards led to little being seen of Buchan, who was a failure as a leader of the attack. Teams : - Everton: - Salt, goal, McDonald (captain), and Livingstone backs, Brown, Fleetwood, and Peacock, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Wall, and Harrison, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Dempster, goal, Hobson, and England, backs, Parker, Kasher, and Poole, half-backs, Stephenson, Moore, Buchan, Hawes, and Ellis, forwards.

January 3, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton's match with Leeds produced some interesting football, and a division of the points represented the merits of the eleven. Although Everton were without the services of Garrett, during part of the first half, having injured himself in scoring they leaded at the cross-over. The visitors lost the lead in the second half, and got behind, but again got level by sheer pluck. Scorers for Everton were Garrett, Jackson, and Grenyer, and for Leeds Poyntz (2), and Powell.

The Era -Wednesday 04 January 1922
There was something like a record crowd at the Granville, Walham Green, on Monday evening, at thye debut on the variety stage of Jack Cock, the Chelsea International centre forward.  Mr. Cock is the possessor of a very pleasing baritone voice, which, combined with an easy and natural manner, stood him in good stead in a couple of ballade.  "Smiting Through," by Mr. Arthur A. Penn, and the ever-popular "Old Pat."  At the end  there were curtain calls in  plenty.  The act, which is under the personal direction of Mr. Frank Rubens, is proceeded by a film showing Mr. Cock in training, signing contract, and other incidents, which were eagerly followed by the audience.  he is also depicted visiting the publishing firm of B. Feldman & Company, who publish all the numbers used.  Mr. Jack, who is assisted at the piano by Mr. Don Hatton, was accorded a very hearty reception. 

January 7, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton, who have been on the mend of late, receive Crystal Palace a club they have met previously in the Cup. A month back even the most rabid Evertonians viewed the meeting of the clubs this afternoon with anything but confidence, since then, however, the Blues have bounded into something like their best form, and the visit of the “Glass House” side is looked upon as but providing the stepping stone into the Second Round, the draw for which, by the way, will be made on Monday, and will appear in the “Express” immediately the clubs come out of the “hat.” Neither Everton nor the Palace have indulged in “away-from-home” training like some of the other sides, but they will be none the worse for that. Fern, who hurt his wrist against Bolton, is expected to resume in goal, and with the rest of the side serving up the form displayed against Sunderland, the Blues should win comfortably. They will not have to take liberties, however, for the Palace are a bustling lot if not a classy side and herein danger lies. Everton have before now been beaten by a Second Division club; let this be a warming to them and see to it that goals come early. The sides will line up: - Everton: - Fern, McDonald, and Livingstone; Brown, Fleetwood, and Peacock; Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Wall, and Harrison, forwards. Crystal Palace: - Anderson, goal, Little, and Rhodes, backs; McCracken, Jones, and Feebury, half-backs, Bateman, Connor, Menlove, Wood, and Whitley.

January 9, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton provided the sensation of the round, and have left their supporters well-nigh speechless with surprise at their inept display against a side, which was generally accepted as being a class below them. Had they been defeated by a snap goal one might have sympathised with them and put it down to the “luck of the game,” but such a margin as six clear goals needs some explaining. And only one explanation can be given. Everton adopted suicidal tactics all though, made no allowance whatever for the conditions, and even failed to take a leaf out of the palace look when it was seen that their style was bringing results. Short passing and efforts to walk the ball into the net were useless on turf saturated by rain against a defence which did not stand on ceremony, and yet the home team persisted in these methods and received a thrashing which, in view of the calibre of the opposition, must be put down as the worst in the career. Of course, it must be borne in mind that both Middlesbrough and Newcastle have had cause to remember the fierceness of the onslaughts of the Selhurst side but though beaten they were not so humiliated as the Goodison Park brigade. It was a staggering blow, and will be talked of for many a day to come.

There were two periods when Everton might have saved the situation. In the first three minutes they began as if their task would be a simple one, and a goal then might have led to the swamping of the opposition, but lack of steadiness in front of Alderson was fatal, and in the first breakaway Palace took the lead. Peacock conceded a corner, which was so accurately placed by Bateman that Whibley had no difficulty in heading out of Fern's reach. This unexpected reverse had an upsetting effect on the home eleven, whose work was spasmodic afterwards, and not equal to overcoming the rustless break-up rushes of the Palace. Just as it became fairly evident that there would have to be a drastic change in tactics if Everton were to equalise before the interval, they found themselves with two goals deficit. Menlove ran through on his own, eluded McDonald, and shot forcibly. Livingstone was racing across to intercept when the ball struck his leg and glanced in at an angle, which left Fern, helpless, as he had set himself for the original kick. The spectators, whose vociferous greeting had changed to a stunned silence, spent the time before the resumption in realising that the Blues had quite recently pulled a game out of the fire when two goals down ten minutes from time. Optimists expected than a talk in the interval would lead to a charge, and that the ball would be swung about properly, and for a quarter of an hour their hopes seemed likely to be justified. There was more purpose in the home movements, and though Harrison was woefully neglected still advances were made, but the shooting was still lacking in force and direction. Indeed, the severest test which Alderson had was from an all too fare pass to Harrison, which the winger flashed to goal, a swerving right foot attempt which Alderson stayed near the foot of the post. Twenty-five minutes of the second half had gone, and hopes were fading, when they were completely dashed to the ground. There was another Palace breakaway, this time on the left, and Whibley's pass went to Connor, who turned with his back to the gaol, and hooked the leather over his shoulder into the net. Worse was to follow, however, as five minutes later Menlove was again successful with a sudden direct drive. Immediately from the kick-off the Palace tore through again and Wood netted, the two goals coming in one minute. A few minutes later Feebury tripped Peacock in the penalty area and Fazackerley shot a yard wide with the penalty kick . The cup of bitterness was now full to the brim, but it overflown when, just before the final whistle, Connor scored again, after Menlove had a goal disallowed for offside.

To the victors the spoils and one must offer unstinted congratulations to the Palace for their great achievement. It was a triumph of direct effort. Palace concentrated on scoring goals. The finer-points of football troubled them not one bit. It was a cup-tie a knock-out game, and they went all out to achieve their object. At times they were not too scrupulous, and on three occasions, visiting players had to be cautioned by the referee for dangerous tackling. All through their play was robust and their kicking forceful, but this was essential on heavy ground, and exposed the weakness of the back passing, the side foot taps and fancy methods of the home team. The fierce energy of the Palace reduced the nervy, hesitant attacks of Everton to negligible proportions, and the rout was complete. Alderson, suffering from a heavy cold, had nothing serious to do. Little was clean and accurate in his clearances, and Rhodes was resolute. Jones held together a virile daredevil middle line which permitted no liberties and smarted up advances by sheer reckless tenacity. Once they had accomplished their object the forwards were well oiled, and with the wingers passing promptly the inside forwards had a field day, for practically everything came off for them in the shooting line, and if Fern had not made several fine clearances the adverse balance might have reached double figures. Fern was pronounced fit, and certainly used both hands in catching and driving though he seemed to “favour” the injured wrist. Even if he was not so good as usual it made no difference, because most of the scoring shots were of the impossible order which would have beaten any custodian. The home backs lacked confidence in themselves, as they showed by their poor returns to Fern, while the halves gave a very mixed display, promise rarely synchronising with performance. The forwards were also weak and ineffective in both shooting and general ball distribution, with the single exception of Harrison, who made good use of the all too few chances which came his way. The attendance was officially announced as 41,161, and the receipts £2,805. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, McDonald (captain), and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Fleetwood, and Peacock, half-back, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Wall, and Harrison, forwards. Crystal Palace: - Alderson, goal, Little, and Rhodes, back, McCracken, Jones, Feebury, half-back, Bateman, Connor, Menlove, Wood, and Whibley, forwards. Referee C. Austin- Kidderminister.

The Era-Wednesday 11 January 1922
Jack Cock, Chelsea's popular international centre forward, does not limite his :scoring" activities to the football field.  At the Granville, Walham Green, last week, he proved the hit of the bill, scoring heavily in the delightful ballards, "Smillin' Through" and "Old Pals."   The old gag, "Hundreds turned away rightly," was, for once in a while, true, and the rush for seats was undountedly due to the Chelsea man's artistic singing of suitable songs.  Result-engaged for another week. 

Val Harris
Nottingham Evening Post - Wednesday 11 January 1922
Harris, the old Everton and Irish International half-back, who received a benefit from the Goodieon Park club some years ago. will be similarly honoured the Dublin dub. Shelbourne, in the preerant season. Permission been granted by the Football Association of Ireland.

January 14, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
The extraordinary defeat of Everton by Crystal Palace has, one is glad to write, not sent the directors into a state of panic whatever effect it may have had upon the supporters. A set back as that sustained by the Blues is generally the occasion for suggesting changes here and there but the directors are confident Saturday's defeat was only a momentary lapse upon the part of the players and they are showing their confidence in them by playing the same eleven at Burnden Park. Bolton, who are making one change in the side Buchan is playing for Seddon, having during the last few days paired with a tried and trusted warrior in Baverstock, who has been given a free transfer to Blackpool. Baverstock was one of the mainstays of the Trotters but as he could not find a regular place in the side this season the directors, in view of his past services gave him a free transfer. He should prove a great help to the Seasiders, for there is still many years of football left in him. As to the outcome of this afternoon's game Everton are sure to give a much better display than they did against Palace, and it will create little surprise to find them bringing away both points. The sides will Be: - Everton, Fern McDonald, and Livingstone; Brown, Fleetwood, Peacock; Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Wall, Harrison, Bolton Wanderers: - Hinton, Howarth, Jones, Longworth, Rowley, Buchan, Donaldson, Jack, Roberts, Smith, Vizard.

January 16, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton were the unluckiest team in the League to lose, as they had much more of the play than the Wanderers at Burnden Park; indeed Hinton had three times as much to do as Salt. At times he did it very badly, for on five occasions during the course of the game he dropped shots, and twice was very lucky to scramble the ball away; but at the same time one must give him credit for clever anticipation in the way he left his goal to intercept cross passes from both wings. The conditions of play were very bad, for after the snow had been scraped off the pitch the surface was very hard and bumpy. This was naturally against accurate play, and anticipation was a difficult matter, but Salt-deputising for Fern, whose wrist was still doubtful –showed judgement in the little he had to do. At the same time he would acknowledge the excellent cover he received from his backs. McDonald and Livingstone rarely put a foot wrong on the slippery turf, and shaped much more creditably than Howarth and Jones, of whom the latter was the better, while Hinton, in goal saved well, though he did so “in twice” so often that one felt his star must be in the ascendant.

Everton played their new left half, Hunter Hart, and even under such trying conditions he proved that, he is a great footballer, both by his tackling and calculating way in which he pushed the leather up to his forwards. With further understanding of the men in front he should make the base of a scoring triangle. Tommy Fleetwood was also a potent force in both attack and defence, while Peacock on his wrong wing, so far as Everton experience is concerned, gave his best display of the season, for he not only kept his forwards on the move, but completely blotted out Vizard, and had a couple of pops at goal, which bothered the custodian considerably. The visiting halves were much more effective than the home three, of whom only Rowley gave a workmanlike display. In the Everton attack the eye was caught chiefly by the extreme wingmen, Harrison and Chedgzoy, who initiated many raids by swerving runs. As a result all the three inside men tested the home custodian, Alec Wall, being near the mark more than once, while Irvine bustled the defence without being able to find a clear opening, and Fazackerley's sudden shots could not take Hinton unawares. On the other side Vizard had fallen off considerably. Joe Smith was entrusted with several free kicks just outside the penalty area, but made poor use of them. The line, however, was well led by Frank Roberts, who was receiving his benefit, being guaranteed £650, and it was a pity that Burnden Park housed the poorest crowd of the season, just over 17,000 paying for admission. Jack was the best of the attack, and E. Roberts made a good deputy for Donaldson, who was down with the flu.

In the first half both goals were penetrated after the whistle had gone for offside, but on the general run of the play Everton deserved to lead. However, early in the second half Bolton obtained their goal to nil victory very cleverly. Jack ran up and parted to Frank Roberts, who found himself covered by the backs, so he back-heeled to Jack, who had in the meantime run to his left, and the latter had no difficulty in beating Salt, who was helpless against a well judged drive. Several times Everton came within an ace of equalising but bad luck dogged them persistently and they forfeited two points in a game in which they deserved a draw at the very least. Teams: - Bolton Wanderers: - Hinton goal, Howarth, and Jones backs, Longworth, Rowley, and Buchan half-backs, E. Roberts, Jack, F. Roberts, J. Smith, and Vizard, forwards. Everton: - Salt, goal, McDonald (captain), and Livingstone, back, Peacock, Fleetwood, and Hart, half-backs, Chedgzoy Fazackerley, Irvine, Wall, and Harrison, forwards.

January 19 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Aston Villa visits Goodison Park on Saturday. The Midland brigade usually create a stir, and there is no doubt that the present team is full of life and vigour. The match is set apart for Grenyer's benefit, so that a popular and hardworking player is to be rewarded. Everton have been forced to make a couple of changes. John McDonald the captain, is suffering from influenza, and Downs will make a welcome return to the field as partner to Livingstone. Crossley also comes in, and Salt is given an opportunity of further distinguishing himself, while Fern is to turn out with the Reserves. The first team, therefore, will be: - Salt, Downs, Livingstone, Peacock, Fleetwood, Hart, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Crossley, and Harrison. The kick off is timed for 2.45. Great interest will be centred in Hart's debut at Goodison. He played well last week, but when the Scot settles down great things are expected of him. The Reserves meet Burnley Reserves, at Turf Moor. The party travel by the 9-45 train from Exchange. The following is the eleven –Fern, Caddick, and Weller, Garrett, Brewster, Reid, Jones, Spencer, McGivney, Wall, Alford.

January 19, 1922. The Liverpool Echo.
Everton are anxious to secure Davison, the Durham City centre half-back. A representative of the club intended being present yesterday at South Shields where the City were to have played the Shields men in a Durham Senior Cuptie, but the wintry weather caused the match to be postponed for a week. In any case Davison seems pretty certain to go to Goodison. The only question is the amount of the transfer fee. Everton, have offered £1,000 for him, but the City asked for £1,500. In the end rather than lose the money, which is a great need at present, the Everton offer will not be turned down. Another Durham player, Harry Cousins who did the hat-trick on Saturday against Crewe, is also in request by Everton. As inside right, Sunderland sought his services six or eight weeks ago, but declined to pay the £1,500 asked for him. Both Davison and Cousins are natives of Durham and have made their names with the City club.

January 21, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
More than average interest attaches to the game in which Everton are concerned today. At home to Aston Villa, which include Hart, who will be making his debut before the home spectators and a success here will not only improve the Blue's position in the table, but at the same time will peg back one of the sides who are pressing Liverpool for the leadership. As regards the visitors to Goodison Park the Villa, like several other prominent teams, are at the moment suffering from the flu, and it is doubtful whether they will be at their best this afternoon. Dickson is unable to play, while Barson is a doubtful starter, and in the circumstances Walker will most likely lead the attack, enabling Stephenson to come in on the left as partner to Dorrell. On the Everton side changes are also announced from the side that last appeared here. Salt plays his third successive League game in goal while with McDonald indisposed Dicky Downs once more comes in as partner to Livingstone. The halves are the same as appeared at Burnden Park, but forward Wall gives place to Crossley. On paper the side looks good enough, and unless luck deserted them entirely should win. The Villa, however, are playing well together and will not go under without a struggle. Still, it is only rank bad luck that has brought the Everton team to its lowly position, and as this must change sometime one has every confidence in anticipating a success for the Blues today. The selected sides are: - Everton: - Salt, Downs, Livingstone, Peacock, Fleetwood, Hart, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Crossley, Harrison. Aston Villa: - Jackson, Smart, Weston, Moss, Barson, G. Blackburn, York, Kirton, Walker, Stephenson, and Dorrell.

Mr. Chapman, the ex-manager of Airdieorians, signed on many a great player when with the Lanarkshire club, and one of the best captures was when he signed Hunter Hart. Last season a great many English clubs were after the great Airdie half-back, and one well-known English First League club offered the Airdie board £5,000 for his services. The deal, however, fell through. Hart, who has displayed great form for the Airdie club this season, has followed Mr. Chapman to England, though not to the same club. Mr. Chapman has been appointed manager of the Manchester United. Although the Airdie directors are thoroughly pleased with the deal, they will gave nothing away about the terms of Hart's transfer. Scotch football followers who saw Hart play were sure that his place in the International team was secure if he had remained in Scotland. Hart is a cool and clean player, stands 5ft 9in, and tips the scale at 10st 12lb. He is a strong go ahead half back, places the ball well, besides being a capital shot and fine control of the ball. He was the best half-back in Lanarkshire. Hart, who is a Glasgow lad, played for Parkhead Juniors, and it was from that club that Mr. Chapman took him into the Airdie camp, playing his first senior game for Airdie on August 18 th . 1912, against Queen's Park as an inside forward, and the following Saturday against Clyde he turned out in the half-back position. It was then that Mr. Chapman found out that Hart was a half back and not a forward, for he had occupied that position when a junior. English football should agree with Hart, and if he displays the same form at Everton as he did in Scotland, the Scottish selectors will not overlook him when the Internationals come round.

January 23, 1922. The Liverpool Courier. ]
Everton's victory over Aston Villa is likely to be talked of for a long time to come, for nothing so dramatic has been witnessed locally for many a day. True, the Blues have been leaving it late in their League matches before getting level or in front –as instance the game in which Manchester City and Bolton Wanderers provided the opposition, but to score three goals in five minutes after being two behind is an extraordinary performance. For the first twenty minutes, it was very largely a matter of “put and take,” with Everton showing promise, Fazackerley, Irvine and Harrison all troubling the defence with sound efforts. However, after twenty minutes, Dowell centred and Salt half caught the ball, it slipped from his grasp, and Kirton, who was in the close attendance, merely had to volley it over the line. Everton made determined efforts to get on terms, Crossley coming near the mark several times, but Villa held on to the lead till the interval.

Immediately on the resumption, Kirton scored again, owing to Fleetwood allowing Walker to get in a pass in the penalty area, where the half-back might have kicked clear at once. As it was Kirton accepted another grit. Matters were looking very bad for Everton, and it seemed that their record of not being able to beat the Villa at Goodison Park –they had not done so since the 1908-09 season-was going to continue, when there came Irvine's famous five minutes, which included a nasty scene.

Seventeen minutes of the second half had elapsed when Harrison took a corner and the home leader hooked the ball into the net. Straight from the kick off he dashed away again after Barson had partially stayed his progress he dashed over the line with the ball at his feet. It then seemed that a Villa player hit him. Other players of both sides joined in, while the referee, unconscious of what was happening, walked towards the centre. The Villa trainer and a linesman both ran towards the scene of action and then the referee returned, the “Donnybrook” business coming to an end, nor were there any more signs of temper to Marian otherwise thrilling game. The spectators were naturally delighted to see Everton on level terms, but when Irvine ran straight through once more to beat Jackson for the third time the crowd rose at him and the cheering was defeatening. Afterwards Salt saved brilliantly from Moss and Crossley almost scored with a first time drive, the game ending in a fine win for the better side.

To take the winners first, Salt more than made up for his early blunder by the way he cleared his lines subsequently. Downs took the place of McDonald, who was suffering from the ‘Flu, and though his kicking was overstrong at times, as was that of Livingstone, both backs did well under pressure, and Downs once ran right through the field to shoot behind. Hunter Hart made his home debut, and though inclined to wander, he displayed splendid ball control, his passing to his forwards being very neat. Fleetwood, the acting captain, was not so accurate in this respect, but he shone when on the defensive, apart from his one error, while Peacock had a good understanding with the men in front. Harrison's shooting was as powerful as ever, and he had an excellent partner in Crossley, who was always willing to have a try at goal, but could not find the net. Irvine was a bustling leader, with a useful pass to either wing and Chedgzoy and Fazackerley served up some dainty football, which the crowd greatly appreciated. Jackson gave a splendid display in the Villa goal, and Smart was the better of two sound backs. Barson took the eye in the middle line and Kirton was the Villa outstanding forward. The match was for the benefit of Alan Grenyer, who was guaranteed £500. Teams : - Everton: - Salt goal, Downs, and Livingstone, backs, Peacock, Fleetwood (captain), and Hart, half-back, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards. Aston Villa: - Jackson, goal, Smart, and Weston, backs, Moss, Barson, and Blackburn, half-backs, York, Kirton, Stephenson, Walker, and Dowell, forwards.

January 21, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton have signed on Harry Haughley, a sixteen-year-old local boy, who has done very well for his school and his country in football. Houghton was a schoolboy Intonation in 1920, and at inside left, he scored in one season 72 goals, for his club, 15 for Liverpool representative side, and 2 for England v Scotland.

January 24, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton Reserves will play a New Scottish Goalkeeper who has been signed up, his name is Mason and comes from Burn Banks. He played for the Lanarkshire League in a presentative match, and comes to Everton on trail, and will play tomorrow at Goodison Park against Burnley Reserves

Burnley News - Wednesday 25 January 1922
Immediately Mr. Turner, the referee in the Burnley v. Everton Res fixture at Turf Moor saw the condition of the ground, on Saturday, he had no hesitation in ordering the engagement to be postponed.  A large portion of the playing pitch was covered with a thick layer of ice, which had formed under the snow during the earliuer days of the week.  The snow had been removed, but the presence of the ice rendered play impossible. 

January 26 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
The score of 5 goals to 2 by which Everton Reserves defeat Burnley Reserves, at Goodison Park yesterday by no means exaggerated the run of the play. Burnley were the superior side in the opening stages, and scored through Anderson early in the game. Towards the interval, however, Everton improved and enjoyed rather more of the play, Spencer equalising with a fine drive. There was a marked improvement in the play of the “blues” following the resumption and two goals were added in three minutes. The first goal was a rather remarkable one, Jones centred, and Brewster dashing up, met the ball with his head. The leather entered the net at a terrific speed, Page having not the slightest chance of saving. The third goal came from the foot of McGivney, and the same player added a fourth after a brilliant solo effort. Burnley, who at this period of the game were completely outplayed, eventually broke away and Lane made their total into two after receiving the ball from Anderson when almost on the goal line. Wall scored the “Blues” fifth goal almost on time. Everton's play in the second half came as a revelation, and following the goals scored by Brewster and McGivney, the issue was never in doubt. Fern gave a capital display in the home goal, and both backs were good. Brewster was the best half-back on view, though he was closely followed by Brophy, Garrett and Reid. All the forwards were good. For Burnley none did better than Jones in the defence, who got through a tremendous amount of work under pressure, while Anderson and Weaver were fine forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Caddick, and Weller, backs, Garrett, Brewster, and Reid, half-backs, Jones Spencer, McGiveney, Wall, and Alford, forwards.

January 27, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton policy of unearthed new talent is sure to be rewarded in the future. It will be remembered that the Goodison directors signed a boy international a week ago, and from what I hear Houghton is not the only boy of promise likely to be secured. The Blues are beginning to realise the value of the “A” team. They certainly have unearthed a very promising player in McGivney, who turned out for the Reserve team against Burnley. The return game with Burnley reserves will be played at Turf Moor tomorrow, when Fern will again keep goal. The full team will be: - Fern, Caddick, Weller, Jeffs, Brewster, Reid, Jones, Moffatt, McGivney, Wall, and Alford. For the friendly match at Stamford Bridge, Everton will be represented by: - Salt, Downs, Livingstone, Peacock, Leddy, Hart, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Crossley, Harrison. It will be noticed that Everton are taking the opportunity of giving Leddy a trial at centre half. Chelsea have selected the following team: - Howard Baker, G. Smith, Harrow, S. Smith, McKenzie, Langton, Bell, Finlayson, Cock, Sharpe, and McNeil.

January 30, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Without unduly exerting themselves at Stamford Bridage, Chelsea defeated Everton by three goals to one. The game, which contained few exciting incidents, proved very tame throughout, both sides being inclined to take matters very easily. The Everton forwards on occasions displayed capital combination, but they somewhat overdid the short game which did not pay on heavy ground. Chelsea swung the ball about more, Bell at outside right, being seen to considerable advantage in many fine centres. The match had a sensational start, three goals being obtained in the first none minutes. Sharp had an easy task to turn S. Smith's centre into goal three minutes after commencement. Everton immediately retaliated, and Crossley equalised from a corner. Two minutes later Bell shot through to give Chelsea the lead again. Subsequently Salt displayed much skill in saving shots from practically all the Chelsea forwards, while in the early stages of the second half, Baker saved cleverly from Chedgzoy and Fazackerley. Five minutes from the end, Bell broke away. He took the ball practically to the goalline before passing back to Cock who from a unmarked position, scored Chelsea's third goal. The crowed numbered 15,000. Teams : - Chelsea: - B. Howard Baker, goal, G. Smith, and Harrow, backs, S. Smith, McKenzie, and Langton, half-backs, Bell, Finlayson, Cock, Sharpe, and McNeil, forwards. Everton: - Salt, goal, Downs, (captain), and Livingstone backs, Peacock, Leddy, and Hart, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Crossley, and Harrison. Forwards.

January 30, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Burnley Reserves included Halley as well as Jones, of the first team, and Dobinson made his first home appearance against Everton Reserves, who had by no means an easy task, like Wednesday, and the draw of one goal each was a fair reflex of the character of the play. Burnley opened in a style that promised well, and in the first half hour were masters of the situation, but they could not drive home their advantage through bad finishing and an excellent defence by the visitors. After this Everton improved, and had the better of the game. Wall put them ahead, but the lead was lost immediately after resumption, Greenhalgh equalising. Everton, while having no real advantage in approach play, had more power in their final efforts, but both custodians were in fine form. Both sides escaped penalities for handling, Brewster was the outstanding figure, and Everton's forwards were a clever lot and had the better balance than Burnley's vangaurd, whose methods lacked openness and trustfulness. Everton: - Fern, goal, Caddick, and Weller, backs, Jeffs, Brewster, and Reid, half-backs, Jones, Moffatt, McGivney, Wall, and Alford, forwards.

January 30, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
A keenly fought game, before a good crowd at Goodison Park, was the outcome of the meeting of the above teams in the Liverpool County Combination. For the full ninety minutes the contest raged very evenly, each side attacking in turn. The Borough's defence was sound and repeatedly repelled the most dangerous attacks of the homesters, Wigan often made advances through their wings, and with a little more steadiness, in front of goal would surely have found the net, for the home custodian was at times lucky to get the leather clear. Midway through the second half the “A” team made a determined raid on Ackrod's charge, and the ball hovered about the goalmouth for some time till Barton, receiving possession practically on the line scored, Everton's orphan goal. Later Wigan were awarded a penalty, but Naylor brought off a magnificent save. A little later Collins, working his way forward drove the leather with great force for goal, and it required a magnificent effort on the part of Naylor to prevent the ball entering the net. It was a good game, and on their play Everton just about deserved the solitary goal victory. Result; Everton “A” 1; Wigan Borough Reserves nil.


January 1922