Everton Independent Research Data


Burnley Express - Wednesday 02 March 1904
Saturday Nelson journeyed to Everton. The ground was covered with snow and the Seedhillites had the misfortune to lose the toss. Nelson had the better of the first few minutes' play. Whitley had twice to save, while Balmer put good defensive work, was conspicuous with fine work, and a clever run and centre should have been improved upon, but three other forwards missed the ball, and Wilkinson cleared. Hodgkinson called upon Whitley with a beauty, the custodian turning the ball over the bar, and from the ensuing corner Hindle grazed the bar. Collin ran to the Nelson goalmouth, where Roberts shot wide, and Cowell and Derbyshire defended well during pressure. The Scedhillites again took up the running, and Kay followed a grand dash shooting inches wide. Then from centre from Simpson, Sheridan scored for Everton, the visitor; appealing strenuously against the point. They got on terms, however, a few minutes later, Hodgkmson beating Whitley with a splendid shot. Nelson continued to show fine form, and Morris should have scored, but shot yards too high. Derbyshiore followed with a" brilliant clearance, and Walker saved well from Chadwick. Nelson defended grandly on Everton pressing, but O'Hagan headed through from a corner after Walker had once saved. 'Nelson made fine effort to getting on terms again, and forced corners without result. At half-time Evetrton led by two to one, but the play Nelson were somewhat unfortunate in being behind at the interval. In the second half Nelson for while had the bettor of the exchanges, and Walker equalised the scores with a capital shot. After this success, however, the visitors fell away again, and taking the running, added through Sheridan and O'Hagan. Eventuaily Everton ran out winners by four to two.

March 7 1904. The Liverpool Courier
The only game of any importantance in the Liverpool district on Saturday was at Goodison park, and that was only a friendly between Everton and Aston Villa. There was only a meagre attendance at the start, nor more than 2,000 spectators being present. The teams were: - Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Gordon and Crelly, backs, Wolstenholme, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs Sharp, Taylor, Young, McDermott, and Rankin forwards. Aston Villa: - George, goal, Noon, and Miles backs, Wilkes, Wood, and Leake, half-backs, Clarke, Hall, Watkins, Matthews, and Lockett, forwards.
Everton kicked off, and play opened quietly, but nice passing between Young and McDermott gave the former a grand chance of scoring, but the centre's final shot was weak. Everton, who had commenced with ten players. Were now joined by Taylor, the absentee from the advertised side being Hardman. The Everton goal was subjected to considerable pressure, but the defence prevailed, Rankin carried the ball down, and centring cleverly Young called upon George, who saved all the expense of a corner. This was well placed by Rankin, and McDermott tipping the ball forward, Young dashed in and scored. The Villa quickly retaliated, and succeeded in obtaining an equalising point Kitchen in clearing from Lockett slipped, and only placed the ball a few yards away, with the result that Watkins easily placed the leather in the net, Kitchen fisted away from Clarke and from Watkin's pass Lockett was offside. The Villa pressed for some time, and Kitchen made an excellent save from Watkins. Young had another attack on the Villa goal, but the attempts to capture it were by no means such as to cause the visiting defence much anxiety. Booth tried his luck with a shot from thirty yards range, only to send the ball wide of the upright. The Villa quite held their own, but it was obvious that the earnestness of a serious encounter was sadly lacking. Smart work by McDermott, Young, and Taylor resulted in the latter putting in a capital shot, which George cleared splendidly. Everton now had two or three fine chances to gain the lead. Which were thrown away, and a passage in arms between Leake, and McDermott amsued the crowd, if it did stimulate the interest in the game, while there were other incidents which were provocative of laughter. Having defended for some time the Villa attack had a look in, and Kitchen fisted out from Lockett. Following this Crelly, through fiddling with the ball, presented a nice opening to Hall, whose shot, however, was very wide of the mark. Half-time Everton 1, Villa 1.
In the second half, by which time the attendance had increased to about 4,000. Everton started off with great dash, and George successfully repelled all sorts of shots. Everton however, he was beaten by a brilliant effort on the part of Taylor. The Villa improve, but their attack was not particularly strong, and as a rule, the home defenders had little difficulty in clearing. They forced a corner from which Wood placed behind, and following the Everton again got away, their shooting, however, being faulty. There was more “friendly” football, and the spectators were amused at any rate, Everton forced three successive corners without anything tangible, and then the Villa coming away Hall sent the wrong side of the upright. Play ruled pretty even, and there were cries of “play up” Taylor responding to the invitation by banging in a stinging shot, which smartly cleared, Hall equalising for the Villa, who had the best of the game to the finish. Final result Everton 2, Villa 2.

March 7, 1904. The Liverpool Courier
Lancahire Combination “A” Division.
No details in local papers.
Everton: - Whitley goal, Wildman, and Murray, backs, Clayton, Chadwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Dilly, Sheridan, Roberts, O'Hagan, and Simpson, forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 07 March 1904
By Junius
The Goodison Park enclosure was the scene of an amicable encounter between Everton and Aston Villa and it was little wonder that only 3,000 people put in an appearance.  Friendly matches are doomed in this city.  Young scored for Everton after about ten minutes play, but Watkins equalized before the interval.  In the second half Taylor secured another goal, but Hall easily made the score equal after a weak save by Kitchen and though the home goal had a wonderful escape, relieved by a smart bit of work on the part of Wolstenholme, the game ended with the score two goals each.  The result was only in accord with the general character of the play.

Wattie White of Bolton Wanderers Eventually signs for Everton During the Season of 1908-09 to 1910-11

Athletic News - Monday 14 March 1904
By Tom Tiddler
Glorious weather favoured the meeting of Sunderland and Everton at Roker Park on Saturday, and the 13,000 spectators saw the Wearsiders victorious by two goals to nothing.  There were several changes on both sides from their previous League contests.  Sunderland were compelled to make a couple owing to Farquhar being on the injured list-his first miss of the season, Buckle was away assisting his country against that of his adoption; Fullarton and Bertram were dropped, and Barrie and Jackson returned to their places in the half-back line.  Watson, jun., so called to distinguish him from the back, appeared at right half, and this was his first league match at Roker.  Bridgett filled the vacancy at outside left, and Miller was brought into the team again, partnering Craggs.  Everton had to take the field without Wolstenholme, who was on internationally engaged, and Taylor took his place.  In the forward line McDermott filled the opening caused by the moving of Taylor, and on the other wing Settle displaced Rankin.
The contest opened in brisk fashion, each defence being called into action early on.  The visiting forwards soon dropped into a nice style of footwork, and receiving excellent support from the middle line, the home defence came in for some heavy pressure.  For fully twenty minutes Everton more than held their own despite the efforts of the home men to break through.  Then Sunderland had a brief turn, and during a hot struggle right on the threshold of the visitors’ goal Crelley had to retire for repairs.  He soon reappeared, and it was pleasing to note that the spectators did not forget to give him a welcome.  The fortunes of the game again veered round to the Lancashirians, and up to five minutes of the interval things were gloomy indeed, from a Sunderland point of view.  Then a remarkable change took place.  The home forwards broke away, and Miller, from a distance of several yards, sent in which appeared to be a very simple shot.  Kitchen got the ball in his hands and held it for a second or so, and then dropped it into the net, thus opening the score.  Barely had the crowd recovered from their astonishment when the forwards came away again, and Hogg passing back to Craggs, who was claimed, but the referee had no doubt about the matter, and Sunderland crossed over leading by two to nothing.  Straightaway on the resumption Everton attacked and Doig had to go full length to clear from Settle.  Shortly afterwards Watson went off the field hurt, but returned in a few minutes.  For fully half an hour both teams went as hard as they could, Sunderland, by their rushing tactics, being much more the aggressive side.  The Evertonians were not able to get in many of their clever touches, nevertheless they were frequently very dangerous and, indeed, it was due to superb goalkeeping at both ends that there was no further score.  Play showed considerably in the closing stages, and a blank second half left the Wearsiders winners of the points.
Sunderland must be accounted a lucky team to lead by two to nothing at the interval, as they were clearly overmatched quite four-fifths of that period.  Five minutes from the interval Sunderland’s prospects were anything but bright and no one would have been surprised if they had been in arrears when the cross over took place.  Then the flash in the pan occurred, and the game was won.  Still, in the second half Sunderland were the smarter side.  They slung the ball about with greater freedom and were quicker at following up than their opponents and only the latter’s fine defence saved them from a heavier beating.  On the whole however, there was not more than a goal between them.  The Everton team was quite as good as one would expect from their position in the table.  In Kitchen they have a very fine custodian, for he saved many better shots than those that beat him. Both backs were good, more particularly Balmer, whilst the middle men played the right sort of game, Booth being the shining light.  The forward line was distinctly good, and displayed sound football. Sharp and Hardman were speedy and clever and they received valuable support from their partners, while Young kept both wings going admirably.  On the home side Doig gave one of his best Roker exhibitions of the season.  Rhodes was the better all-round back, although Watson played well.  The middle men were not so effective as usual, and were unable until the second half to give the forwards much assistance.  The right-wing pair were the best, Miller playing a fine game, his shooting being superior to any of the others.  Hogg was too well watched, yet he brought off some very serviceable runs.  Bridgett was disappointing, and neither he nor Gemmill were very prominent.  Still we must not overlook the fact that Sunderland were meeting one of the best teams in the League.  Sunderland; Doig; Rhodes, and Watson; Watson (jun), Barrie, and Jackson; Craggs, Miller, Hogg, Gemmill, and Bridgett.  Referee; Fred Sheffield.  Everton; Kitchen; Balmer, and Crelley; Taylor, Booth, and Abbott; Sharp, McDermott, Young, Settle, and H.P. Hardman.  Referee; Fred Bye, Sheffield. 

Jack Hillman an Ex Everton Player who played for the Toffees Between the Seasons 1894/95 to 1895/96

March 14, 1904. The Lancashire Evening Post
wretched weather prevailed at Deepdale thisn afternoon, when the leaders of the Combination opposed North End. It had been expected that Lyon would again be given a trial at full back, but unfortunately the former had to stand down through a slight injury to his ankle, with the result that a rearrngement because necessary. Everton were strongly represented, including Sheridan, who on Saturday appeared against England in the international at belfast. teams; North End Reserves; Taylor, goal; Warnr and Dobson, backs; Tickle, Rowe, and Ted, half-backs; Maher, Edmonds, McKie, Newman, and Danson, forwards. Everton; Whitley, goal; Gordon and R. Balmer, backs; Chadwick, Russell, and Makepeace, half-backs; Rankin, Sherdian, Roberts, O'Hagan, and Dilly, forwards. The ground was fearfully heavy and rain was falling when McKie kicked off towards the town goal. The Prestonians were at first placed on th defensive, but Warner and Rowe were prominent, and the homesters were quickly pressing the Blues and Whites, Maber put in a magnificent centre, from which the goal was seriously threatened Chadwick eventually coming to the rescue. Everton retaliated and Dilly on the left wing did capital work, and swung the ball right across the front of the goal. Rankin failed to avail himself of a promising opening, and subsequently Dilly after a first run shout outside. A spirited effort by Maher and Edmonds came to nothing owing to the former's handing on the ball rather too long. Considering the heavy ground the pace was excellent, and the play full incident. Warner twice headed out of the goalmouth, from centres by Rankin and Taylor easily picked up a soft shot from Roberts, Mckie put in several clever hits of play, but was inclined to be selfish, Taylor got a long shot from the visiting right and cleared in clean style. Warmer took a free kick 15 yards inside the Everton half, and his shot for goal was strong and not far off the target. The game was slightly in favour of the visitors but in a while the North Enders got away dangerous and following smart work by Ted and Rowe, the left wing got well down, and Danson sent only just over with a grand shot. At the other end Taylor effetced another smart save, and then Newman was robbed when in a good position. The Preston forwads were exceedingly clever, but played rather too close a game. A long shot by Rowe was saved at the cost of a corner, and a drive by Warner for a free kick was within a very short space of goal. As half time approached North End had the better share of the play, and Balmer was several times prominent with strong kicks. Rowe, , Mckie, and Edmonds won a corner, and from this a second flag kick resulted. This was cleared, but Rowe placed the home forwards on the attack again. A nasty foul on Meber by Makepeace brought a free kick from which Whitley cleared.
Half-time; Preston North End Res 0, Everton Res 0
Rain was still falling smartly when play was resumed. A run by newman and Danson brought a swift shot from the latter, this leading to a couple of unproductive corners. There was far too much dribbling by both sides, and it was some time before Chadwick brought danger with a long shot, which however, went over. A spint by Maher was followed by a capital centre, and North End were having the advantage, though unfortunately McKie did not pass to the outside wing man. Rowe and Ted were prominent for hard work, but on one occasion Roberts broke away in capital style only to finish with a very weak shot. The pace began to tell, and the game became even. Both goalkeepers were called upon and proved perfectly safe. Rowe worked like a nigger at centre half, but in the later stages Everton took up the attack, and Taylor saved in first rate style from Gordon. He had no chance, however, withn a swift drive by Dilly, who scored the first goal with only 10 minutes to play. The Prestonians pressed vigorously, and penned their opponents in but they could not equalise, and were unluckily beaten. Result; Everton reserves 1, Preston North End Reserve 0.

March 14, 1904. The Liverpool Courier
Everton twice hit, crossbar, before Sunderland score
The Everton team journeyed north on Friday, in order to fulfil their fixture with Sunderland on the following day. Wolstenholme was an absentee to attend Belfast for the Internation (Reserve). Taylor took his place at right half, and Settle reappeared among the forwards. The weather was fine, and the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Kitchen goal, W.Balmer, and Crelly, backs Taylor, Booth (captain) and Abbott half-backs, Sharp McDermott, Young, Settle, and Hardman, forwards. Sunderland: - Doig, goal Rhodes, and Watson, backs Watson jun, Barrie, and Jackson, half-backs, Craggs, Miller, Hogg, Gemmill, and Bridgett, forwards. Referee T.Armitt Young opened the play for Everton. Almost immediately the home left got away, and following a fine centre by Bridgett, Hogg looked like getting through, when Sharp raced back, and cleverly took the ball from his toe. Following upon another attack by the home forwards the Everton line fairly took up the running, but the greatest of ill-luck attended their efforts. Sharp was going strongly when he was pulled up vigorously within the penalty area, but nothing came of the appeal, and a moment later Settle worked his way through, a fine rising shot from him rebounding from the crossbar. A moment later Rhodes missed his kick in the goal mouth, but was covered, and Young put over the bar. Another race down ended in Settle making a fine effort to score, and this was immediately followed by a shot from Sharp, who shaved the upright. Play was not particularly brisks, and on one occasion Craggs put in a brilliant run, and centre. Fortunately for Everton, Taylor managed after a second attempt to intercept his pass to Bridgett who lay in a favourable position for scoring. Getting away again, McDermott forced a corner, which Sharp well placed and there followed a stiff bully in front of goal. Booth headed against the crossbar, and Doig rushing out, cleared, but relief was only temporary, for the Evertonians again returned to the attack. As can be gauged, the visitors were having all the better of the game, and shot often, but the players legs were more by good luck than management in the way, while Doig negotiated several good shots. By some smart combination, the Wearsiders forwards now bore down strongly and, showing to better advantage, they caused much anxiously to the Everton backs, and on two occasions Taylor kept out Gemmill and Bridgett. A stiff scrimmage ensued in front of Kitchen, who with quite a dozen other's eventually were on the ground, and the ball becoming loose, Bridgett put outside. During the melee Crelly had received an injury and left the field. Booth falling back into his position. The next item was a run down by Sharp, and McDermott forced a corner, but this came to nothing. And in a trice operations were at the other end, where Craggs and Miller were prominent. On the Wearsiders again returning Miller put in a magnificent shot, which, however, was quite equalised by a sterling save on the part Kitchen. Crelly now reappeared, and the Everton van moved in fine style, and Young tried a shot from a thirty-yard range, only to find Doig in readiness. A free kick against Taylor gave the Wearsiders a good opening, and Miller shot in. kitchen caught the ball, and on attempting to throw it out he appeared to slip slightly, and threw the ball into the net. This was a grit to the home lot, who on the play thus far did not deserve to lead, but play was scarcely going again than Hogg put across tom Craggs, and the latter gave no chance to Kitchen. Half-time Sunderland 2, Everton nil.
On resuming Everton attacked, Doig gaving from Settle. Sunderland smartly retaliated, and Hogg and Miller severely tested Kitchen, seven minutes after crossing over Watson, the back, retired hurt. Everton forced a corner, but were driven back, and Kitchen saved from Craggs. Watson returned, and the game grew fast. Play was fairly even for a while. Then Sunderland attacked hotly, but Kitchen exhibited magnificent form. Play quitetened down in the closing stages. Result Sunderland 2, Everton nil.

March 14, 1904. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 23)
No details.
Everton: - Whitley goal, W. Wildman, and Murray, backs, E.Wildman, Chadwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Dilly, McAdams, Roberts, Simpson, and O'Hagan, forwards.

March 14, 1904. The Liverpool Mercury
For the second time this season, Everton lost a couple of points to their old and respected opponents Sunderland. When the Wearsiders appeared at Goodison Park on the 14 November, they fully deserved their win of a goal to nothing. This however, can hardly be said about Saturday's fixture, which on paper was even more decisively in Sunderland's favour, seeing that the adverse margins was two goals to nil. The score itself would suggest that the Evertonians were completely outplayed, but for once the result of the game by no means truly reflects the varying fortunes of the side. Indeed, so clever, and determined was the attack of Everton, that it would not have been at all suprising had the visiting team credited themselves with even as many as half a dozen goals. Rank bad luck, however, attended numerous fine efforts, which, under ordinary circumstances might easily have defeated so experienced and resourceful a custodian as Doig. Time after time the ball was sent in with remarkable precision and yet so perverse was Dame Fortune that the leather either struck the cross bar or the upright, or was only inches wide of the desire haven. The ground was distinctly on the heavy side and after the game had only been in progress a few minutes it was badly cut up in place these conditions naturally having a somewhat serious effect upon Everton's style of play. Still although the Evertonians could do everything but score, they gave a very creditable exhibition of football which the most partisans Sunderland spectators could not help admiring. Quite naturally the northern crowd were delighted with the success which their team obtained during the last few minutes of the first half. On the play the goals were not deserved, but from a Sunderland point of view the great fact was that they were forthcoming. The first point accured owing to a slip on the part of Kitchen, who otherwise, throughout the 90 minutes kept a really splendid goal. With the second that Cragg secured the Everton custodian had no possible chance. During the second half, Everton's superiority and tactics were not so pronounced as in the earlier portion of the proceedings. Towards the finish both teams slackened considerably, but before this period, when Everton's defeat seemed assured, there were many interesting episodes, and both custodians were tested with stinging shots. The visitors, however, had no better luck than they had previously experienced, and the outcome of their visit to the north was the loss of a couple of points and whatever chance Everton might have had of achieving championship honours. In consequence of Wolstenholme being requisitioned as one of England's reserves at Belfast, Taylor figured in the half-back line, and the usefulness of the veteran was given evidenced by the earnest and energetic manner, in which he dealt with the smart Sunderland left wing, although it was owing to a free kick against him that Sunderland were enabled to open their account. Settle, after an absence from the football field on account of injury, took up his old position as inside left, and was probably about the best forward on the field. With even a modicum of luck, he should have scored at least a couple of goals, but the misfortune which dogged the footsteps of the whole team applied in greater measure to Settle than any to any member of the side.

March 15, 1904. The Liverpool Mercury.
Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 24)
At Deepdale in miserable weather, before 500 spectators. Despite the sloppy ground, the game was fast and full of incident. Eight minutes from time, Dilly scored for Everton with an unstoppable shot.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 19 March 1904
On the Rossendale ground, before a capital attendance. Everton were the first to atatck, and Arrowsmith cleared his charge finely. At the other end Rossendale pressed severely, and Ashworth missed a good chance. The same player made amends soon after by scoring a grand goal for Rossendale from a pass by Leather, and Hulmes added another from a penalty. Half-time; Rossendale 2, Everton 0. In the second half play opened tamely, but after 10 minutes O'Hara scored for the visitors at close quarters and from a penalty Hulmes scored a third goal for Rossendale. Hulmes and Roberts were sent off the field for fighing and the game was continued with ten men on each side. Result; Rossendale United 3, Everton Reserves 1

March 21 1904. The Liverpool Mercury
Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 25)
Although facing a strong wind, Rossendale gave their clever opponents a rare game, and Ashworth scored a beauty for the home team. Holmes added a second. At the interval the score was Rossendale 2 Everton 1. Final Result Rossendale 3 Everton 1( Note , Sheridan and Hulmes were suspended until the end of the season for fighting in this match on April 5 1904). Everton : - Whitley, Wildman, and R. Balmer, backs, Chadwick, Russell, and Makepeace half-backs, Rankin, Sheridan, Roberts, O'Hagan, and Dilly forwards.

Athletic News

March 28, 1904. The Liverpool Courier
Everton resumed their League programme on Saturday, when they visited Birmingham to meet Small Heath. The issue was important not only to the clubs immediately concerned, but also to other organisation who, Like Small Heath are struggling for the retention of their position in the First League next season. The weather was dull, but there would be nearly 20,000 spectators, when the teams faced in the following order: - Small Heath: - Robinson goal, Glover and Stokes, backs, Beer, Wigmore, and Howard, half-backs, Athersmith, Green, Jones, Wilcox, and Field, forwards. Everton: - Kitchen goal, W.Balmer, and Crelly backs, Wolstenholme, Booth (captain) and Abbott, half-backs Sharp Taylor Settle, McDermott, and Hardman, forwards. Referee Mr.Goldstein.
Small Heath won the toss, and elected to kick towards the town end, McDermott kicking off for the visiting side. The home right was at once prominent, but Athersmith shot wide. Then Everton dashed down to the other end, only to be pulled up through Settle getting offside. The home now made tracks for the Everton goal, but Balmer was in fine form and cleared well. Good play by Sharp was spoiled through the alertness of Howard, who prevented the Everton outside right getting in his centre. The Everton forwards got in again, and the home goal had a narrow escape from Settle. Immediately afterwards McDermott shot out, and the Everton halves, continued to hold in check the Small Heath front rank, though a moment later their forwards, aided by passes from the intermediate line, attacked hotly, but without result. Lighting shot by the visiting centre was headed clear by Stokes at the expense of a corner. Everton afterwards were very nippy, and gave the home defence much trouble. A foul against Wolstenholme saw Wigmore shoot a trifle wide. Then the Evertonians came again, but Beers kicked in safely. A dashing attack by the Heanthens caused Kitchen to run out and kick away, from Filed who looked all over scoring. Although the ball was carried from end to end, Everton were having the best of matters without, however, being able to open the score. At last Jones set his men going, and after Balmer had robbed Field, Crelly tripped Wilcox. The referee awarded a penalty kick , and Beer being entrusted with the kick shot, into the corner of the net quite out of Kitchen's reach. Stung by the reverse, the Evertonians went off in great style, and the home defenders were heavily taxed for a few minutes. At last the Heathens broke clear, but Everton were soon back again. Taylor shooting outside, Sharp dashed away, and a capital centre enabled McDermott to get possession. The Everton man utilised his chance most effectively for with a brilliant shot, he equalised the score. Encouraged by this success, and amid a storm of rain which had just to commenced the Evertoninas pressed for all they were worth, and but for the steadiness of the home backs, they must have added to the score. Green cleverly tricked Booth but Abbott was too much for him. In trying to head the ball, Field fell on his back, and was for a few moments disabled. He however, soon resumed. Wigmore held Taylor, and from the foul, Everton made desperate efforts to take the lead, but Glover cleared his lines splendidly. Settle shot wide of the post, and a somewhat disjointed attack by the home side was easily disposed of. They quickly returned, and the time Kitchen threw away from Jones. Everton then called on the Small Heath goalkeeper, who saved from McDermott. During a tremendous onslaught by the Heathens Abbott cleared in marvellous fashion when a goal seen certain. Half time Small Heath 1, Everton 1.
After a long interval, Jones restarted, and the Heathens at once attacked, Wilcox shooting wide. Again the homesters tried to get through, but Balmer and Crelly were not to be beaten. Jones headed out a foul well taken by Glover and then Hardman dashed down the wing and put the ball across the goalmouth. Stokes clearing before Settle could get to it. The game had been very free from fouls, but a couple in succession temporally stopped the progress of the play, one close in to the home side being shot over badly by Glover. Athersmith tested Kitchen with a brilliant shot, which was as brilliantly saved. Then McDermott illegitimately charging Glover spoiled a splendid attack by the Evertonians. Towards the finish the quality of the play deteriorated largely owing to the heavy ground. Nothing more was scored, and the points were divided. Result Small Heath 1, Evertion 1.

March 28, 1904. The Liverpool Mercury
Lancashire Combination “A” Division (Game 26)
At Goodison Park. Makepeace and O'Hagan scored for Everton, before the interval. Resuming, the Rovers equalised in five minutes through Kelly, and Darlington. Makepeace from a penalty kick put Everton ahead, and Roberts scored the fourth, fifth and sixth goal, and Everton won by six goals to two. Everton: - Whitley goal, Wildman, and R.Balmer, backs, Clayton, Chadwick, and Makepeace half-backs, Rankin, McAdams, Roberts, O'Hagan and Dilly, forwards.

March 28, 1904. The Liverpool Mercury
The 21 st annual International between Ireland and Scotland was played at Dalymount Park, Dublin on Saturday, in front of 5,000 spectators, the game resulted in a one goal each.

March 28. 1904. The Liverpool Mercury
The rest, which the Everton League obtained by reason of the semi-final at Goodison Park, seems to have done them good, for on Saturday they gave a bright display at Coventry-road, and shared the honours of a really excellent game with Small Heath. Since the New Year the “Heathens” have had considerable leeway, so much so, that they now appear to be assured of escaping relegation to the Second Division. In the earlier months of the season they dropped point after point even on the own enclosures, but for some weeks past the team have been able to present a bold front to the strongest sides in the League. Their ability was clearly evident in the game under notice, for although Everton undoubtedly were the cleverer combination, still, Small Heath gave one the impression that they are decidedly a difficult team to overcome. That nothing succeeds like success was manifest from the large crowd, which assembled to see how the locals would fate with the skilful Evertonians. Quite 20,000 spectators were present, and witnessing a game, which throughout always presented interesting features, awarded them. The ground was on the heavy side, and not long after the proceedings had commenced rain fell heavily, but these conditions had little, if any appreciable effect upon the earnestness of the opposing sides. Play started at a wonderfully fast pace, and in the earlier stage Everton was unquestionably the smarter combination. Their forward work was especially good, Sharp on more than one occasion electrifying the spectators by his brilliant runs down the wing. Under the pressure to which they were subjected, in speaks well for the soundness of the Small Heath defence that they were able to avert disaster. As a matter of fact it fell to the lot of the “Heathens” to score the first goal. This resulted from the always more or less unsatisfactory penalty kick, but still it counted, and served to make the play if possible keener than ever. It was not long however, before Everton found themselves on level terms McDermott it was who headed the ball past Robinson, but the chief credit for a magnificent goal must be ascribed to Sharp seeing that it was due to a brilliant run, and centre by the Everton sprinter that McDermott was afforded his chance. The teams crossed over without any addition to the score, and certainly it was by no means due to any falling off in the standard of play that the second half was profitless. Right to the finish the teams contested in splendid spirit every inch of the ground, and desperate capital forwards play, the respective defences succeeded in holding the upper hand. A feature of the game which one could not help noticing was the effective work of the half-back line. Small Heath. Like Everton are favoured in possessing a trio of halves who never know when they are beaten, and who never give quarter to the opposing forwards, and in no small degree was the paucity of goals one to the untiring efforts of the half-backs. Although Crelly gave away the penalty kick, and Balmer were successful in dealing with the attacks of the Small Heath forwards, but more work felt upon the home backs, for whom the old Liverpool player Glover was at the top of his form. Neither custodian was really troubled though each dealt with one or two ticklish shots, which might easily have beaten less experienced keepers. Although Small Heath no doubt would have been delighted with a win at the same time, in view of the actual run of play, they were quite content with a draw, for when the general reckoning comes that one point may prove extremely useful to the Midland club.

Athletic News - Monday 28 March 1904
By Shamrock
Ireland finished her international campaign at Dublin on Saturday by following up her victory of Last year at Glasgow by taking points out of a strong Scottish side.  Nature smiled on Saturday’s match, but the crowd which assembled at Dalymount Park to greet the Scots on their debut before the Dublin public was disappointing in numbers.  The official figure did not transpire, but although the attendance was the largest seen at the park, it could not have exceeded 5,000 or 6,000 against the 9,000 which witnessed the only other international ever played in Dublin, that on march 17, 1900. 
Ireland;- Scott (Linfield); McCracken (Distillery), and McCartney (Linfield); Maginnis (Linfield), Milne (Linfield) (captain), and McConnell (Cliftonville); Campbell (Cliftonville), Sheridan (Everton), H. Reilly (Freehooters), Sloan (Bohemians), and Kirwan (Tottenham).  Scotland- Rennie (Hibernians); Jackson and Cameron (St. Mirren); Henderson (Rangers), Thomason (Hearts), and Robertson (Rangers); J. Walker (Rangers), R. Walker (Hearts), Hamilton (Rangers), Wilson (Third Lanark), and Smith (Rangers).  Referee Fred Kirkham, Preston. 

Athletic News - Monday 28 March 1904
By Brum
Small Heath are a capable side at the present time, but they met their match on Saturday. Everton are one of the smartest elevens in the country when they are at the top of their form, but they have an awkward knack of going: off their play at various periods. It was certainly not one of their off days on Saturday, for they provided the Coventry-road crowd with one of the greatest treats of the season. The teams were at full strength, and with the meteorological conditions reasonably favourable at the start there was a capital crowd. The weather served them some natty tricks later, but that did not matter, they were there, and they had paid their money. There were about 15,000 of them all told, and they had the satisfaction of witnessing some real football. The ground was a trifle greasy, but this did not seem to trouble the players, for the Everton men in particular were full of virility, and their combination was as fine as need be desired. John Sharp evidently getting into fine fettle for the cricket reason, for he was fleet and nippy, and Howard found him more than he could manage. For a considerable time it seemed likely that the Liverpudlians would gain an advantage; indeed, they seemed too many to be playing a winning game.
Then Small Heath put a smart piece of work, and Wilcox as was bursting through Crelly brought him down within the fatal area. Mr. Boldison promptly blew a fierce blast to mark his indignation. It may have sounded like a mean of triumph to Small Heath, but it was a funeral dirge to Everton, and very down in the mouth they looked over it. It is a bit rough when you are really having the better of the game for an incident of this kind to occur. With a face wreathed in smiles the sprightly Beer, who is an adept at everything appertaining to football, put the bail in position, and with hard, straight drive, put it past Kitchen. ‘‘That's well into the Kitchen,”' said a hard-faced man in front of me. ‘‘Yes, it’s into the scullery, I should think." I retorted. Everton, however, got level, and they richly deserved to do. Sharp made a clever run, and wound up with a fine centre, which McDermott took in hand so well that before the game was half an hour old the scores were on an equality. Then there was a ding-dong struggle, until the whistle came as a relief to the players, if not to the spectators. The game deteriorated in quality just a trifle towards the close, for both were keen on getting the winning point, but it did not come, and the game was drawn.
Small Heath were undoubtedly the cleverer side in this portion. They had twice as many shots at a goal as their rivals, the latter owing many thanks to Kitchen, who defended his charge with signal ability. All kinds of shots came to hand, but he disposed of them all with marked skill. Dealing with the individual players.  Sharp stood out in the forward line, he has not played many better games this season.  He shot off like a shaft from a bow, and very few of his centres went astray.  Hardman did well, and Settle and McDermott were always useful, while as a quintette the forwards created a big impression, and you could hear the crowd speculating to whether Small Heath could possibly beat such a side. The half-backs were all in good trim, and Balmer, Crelly, and Kitchen were rarely at fault. Small Heath have a remarkable defence now. It is the best defence in the Midlands I think.  Stokes and Glover have settled down to each other’s play nicely, and I do not desire to see a better pair. At half the “Heathens” were strong, too, although Beer was not quite at his best, which was a pity, as I heard that he was under special observation. In the forward line there were no shirkers, and if the brilliant tactics of last week were not in evidence the reason probably was that Everton played a more effective sporting game than the “Wolves” did. Green was again full of enthusiasm, and was never off the ball, while Field and Wilcox made an effective wing. Altogether, it was a match such as every intelligent spectator yearns to see each week. Small Heath; Robinson; Glover, and Stokes; Beer, Wigmore, and Howard; Athersmith, Green, Jones, Wilcox, and Field.  Everton; Kitchen; Balmer, and Crelley: Wolstenholmes, Booth and Abbott; Sharp, Taylor, Settle, McDermott, and Hardman.  Referee; H. Boldison, Stockton. 

Athletic News - Monday 28 March 1904
By Junius
In view of the excellent form which Small heath have displayed since January it must be reckoned a fine performance on the part of Everton to share the points at Birmingham.  As they won the first game of the season by 5 goals to 1, they have had a decided pull in their fixtures with the Midlanders.  Everton have had quite a long spell of away matches and owing to the fact that two of their League matches have had to be re-arranged on account of cup-ties, there has not been a League game at Goodison Park since January 23, when, curiously enough, the Villa were the visitors.  The dates of the return games with Sheffield Wednesday, West Bromwich and Manchester City have been decided upon, and the leaders will appear on Easter Monday at Goodison Park, the Combination match between Everton and Liverpool have been settled to take place on the morning of that day.  West Bromwich will come down here on the 18th prox., and Manchester on the 25th, each of these being Monday matches, and the City, it will be seen, will have to tackle Everton two days after the final-tie at the Crystal palace. 

Athletic News - Monday 28 March 1904
By Junius
In the Lancashire Combination match with Oswaldtwistle, the Everton second string secured a ready victory by 6 goals to 2.  Makepeace and O’Hagan scored in the first half but afterwards Kelly and Darlington defeated Whitley and made matters level.  Makepeace gained the lead from a penalty and in quick succession the Everton centre-forward put on three goals, in good style.  As the final figures show, the game went all in Everton’s favour and they thoroughly deserved their decisive victory.  In the forward line, about the constitution of which there was some mystery in advantage, and the centre-forward, who credited himself with three goals, deserves no slight mead of praise.  Makepeace and the young Balmer were the pick of the backs, who were not, however, very seriously harassed by the visitors’ front line.  For the latter Kelly, on the extreme left, showed good form, and Blackshaw, on the opposite wing, rendered useful service.  Hindle kept goal well, including the saving of a penalty kick and Hargreaves was the better of the full backs. 


March 1904