Everton Independent Research Data


MARCH 1906


March 5, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.


Truly the unexpected close happen in League football. When the composition of the Everton team to do duty against Bolton Wanderers at Burnden-park became known the general opinion was that the “Blues” would be hopelessly beaten. Victory was declared to be absolutely impossible. Five-nothing or six to nothing against was the mournful cry. Yet in the event the belittled Everton side were only beaten in the last few minutes by an odd goal on a ground where the home side have been pretty well invincible this season. It was an eye-opener to the croakers to find the reorganised team giving such a plucky and wholehearted display. Although the odds were against them they never gave up hope, and so gallantly did they stick to their work that the 22,000 spectators were heartily glad when the end came with their favourites gaining the verdict by the narrow margin of three goals to two. It was something altogether novel to see an Everton forwards line without such noted forwards as Sharp, Settle, and Hardman. Four of the forwards certainly had played in one of more League matches, but apart from Bolton not one of them was a recognised member of the League team, while Wright, who filled the centre forward position, made his first appearance in a League match. True the defence was composed of tried men, and doubtless it was the feeling that in this respect the side was all right, which spurred on the practically untried men to their best efforts.


The ground itself was in a terribly soft state, and hardly a blade of grass was visible. For all that the spectators were treated to a really interesting and dashing display. In the early stages the Wanderers sharp shooters were seen in an aggressive mood. Shepherd one of the best centre forwards in the county was soon in evidence, and for his clearance of one terrific shot, Scott was cleared to the echo, as he well deserved to be. However after 15 minutes play, the Everton custodian had to acknowledge himself beaten. But it was through no fault of his Stokes sent across a capital centre, which went out to White, who, with no one to disturb him, scored with a fast oblique shot. In no way dismayed Everton kept begging away, and their reward came when after Davies fell full length in attempting to stop a shot from Bolton, Cook rushed up and placed it into the net. Indeed, Bolton had proved himself to be one of the smartest forwards on the field, as Ostick could testify. The struggle continued at a ding-dong pace, with the Wanderers being the better side, a fact which was emphassed when McEwan somewhat luckily obtained a second goal. In the second half of the game, the visiting side were seen to even greater advantage. Following a corner, nicely placed by Donnachie, the veteran Taylor secured possession and equalised with a shot which the goalkeeper never seen until the ball was right on him. Everton played up in such surprising fashion, that it was distinctly hard lines when five minutes from the finish White obtained the deciding goal with a really brilliant shot. Still they did not give up hope, and just as the whistle went, Makepeace appeared bent on repeating his previous week's performance.


Although the new forward line more than exceeded expectations, it was in the matter of defence that Everton excelled. Some captions critics might be inclined to blame Scott for allowing the second goal, but if he were at fault in any degree it was a very slight blemish on a really brilliant exhibition of goalkeeping. Several of his saves being exceptionally clever. Both Hill and Crelly rendered admirable assistance, but it was in the half-back line, that Everton tower of strength lay. There was little to choose between Booth, Taylor, and Makepeace. Each played up to the top of his form, and it was in the main owing to their untiring efforts that the strong Wanderers quintette were for such demon scorers comparatively ineffective. Wright in the centre forward position worked hard, but was outclassed, and by far the most successful part of the visiting attack was the right wing. Bolton in particular distinguishes himself. On the Wanderers side, White was the outstanding forward. Shepherd brings watched too closely to permit him to display his usual brilliance. There was nothing special about the defence and Davies in goal does not appear to be a very safe custodian. Teams: - Bolton Wanderers: - Davies, goal, Baverstock, and Ostick, backs, Robertson, R.Clifford, and Boyd half-backs, Stokes, Marsh, Shepherd, W.White, and McEwan, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goals, Hill, and Crelly, backs, Booth (Captain), Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Birnie, Bolton, R.Wright, Cook, and Donnachie, forwards. Referee R.J.Johns.



March 5 1906. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One. (Game 28)

Saturday was a black day for Everton, for while the seniors were beaten at Bolton, the Trotters second string was beating the Reserves. Everton were however, considerably handicapped owing to the call made upon the regular to take part in the League match. A further trial was given to Bowser, at centre forward, while places were found for new players in Tomlin and Bannister. The new men did very little, however, and as a result the Everton forwards play was very poor. Only McLaughlin (whose appearances have been all too few of late) did anything worthy of mention, and the forward line below bar a great deal of work was thrown upon the defence. Bolton scored once in each half, and won by two goals to nil. The first point was luckily obtained, a shot from Napier turning off Hannan into the net out of Collins reach, but on the play the visitors were the better side, and deserved their success. Everton presented a stout defence. Collins, Wildman, and Hannan doing capital service, while Black at half back was always prominent. There was an entire absence of combination amongst the forwards, and Bowser displayed a great leniency to stick to the ball until dispossessed. Bolton have a capable side, some of the players showing very promising work. Everton: - Collins, goal, Wildman, and Hannon, backs Black, Chadwick, and Donaldson half-backs, Tomlin, McLoughlin, Bowser, Bannister, and Butler, forwards.



March 12, 1906. The Liverpool Courier

FA Cup Fourth Round.




Again have Everton qualified for the semi-final round of the English Cup competition. They have done more than once but have never yet lifted the trophy, which is so insignificant, but which means so much. After the shadow of a team which represented the club the previous week at Burnden park there were all sorts of gloomy foreboding as to the outcome of Sheffield Wednesday's visit to Goodison-park in the fourth round of the cup. There were views that the Blades would have an easy victory, and evidently this was the feeling which prevailed in Sheffield, for the good people of the town invaded the city in their thousands-the estimate was at least 6,000-and apart from enjoying the fresh breeze of the Mersey they turned up in full force at the Goodison-road ground. And they did make their presence felt. They did not forget to cheer their favourites, and certainly after a bad beginning they had good cause for jubilation, for no team could have played a more plucky unhill game than did the Wednesday representatives. To be down four goals to one at half-time, and in the end to give their opponents a rare fight and to only lose by the odd goal in seven is an achievement of which any team playing away from home may well congratulate themselves.


It was quite a relief to the vast majority of the crowd- the attendance by the way was at least 30,000 and the receipts £1,000- when the Everton players made their appearance on the field, and it was seen that all the old hands had sufficiently recovered to be able to assume their customary positions. That they were in good form too was early evident. Did they not score a couple of goals in five minutes from the start. And was not this enough to give the victory in a cup-tie encounter to any team? Certainly it placed the Everton supporters on quite good terms with themselves. It was little Hardman who was really responsible for both the goals, for it was following capital centres of his that Sharp and then Taylor banged the ball into the net without giving Lyall the ghost of a chance of saving his charge. Naturally with such engagement Everton gave of their best, and were undoubtedly the superior side. Young Balmer was penalised for handling within the penalty area, and great was the disappointment of the Sheffield enthusiasts when Scott brilliantly saved Davies Penalty kick . still the Blades struck to their work with the utmost determination, and it was no more than they deserved when Simpson rushed the ball past Scott. But Everton too were not content to let matters rest with a lead of two goals to one, and with nearly ten minutes to go before the interval Bolton added a third goal after some thrilling exchanges following a corner. This was not all, for less than a minute before the whistle blew for the change of ends Lyall fumbled a long shot from Booth, and Everton had the commanding lead of four goals to one.


If Everton had gathered in the plums during the first half there was a different tale to be told about the later stages of the game. The Evertonians failed altogether to reproduce their brilliant form of the opening half, and as a matter of fact Sheffield Wednesday had as much of the play as had previously fallen to Everton's lot. The important difference was that they were only able to add a couple of goals to their score. Barlett, who was one of the most conspicuous halves on the field, was responsible for their second goal, while the third accrued from a penalty kick given against Taylor. Davis on this occasion making no mistake with his shot. With only another goal to ensure a replay at Owlerton-park the Blades played for all they were worthy, and the Everton defence being exceedingly shaky, they almost succeeded in their efforts. Towards the end, however, Everton reasserted themselves, and apart from an obvious trip on Young which ought to have brought a penalty kick, the Wednesday goal escaped downfall in the last minutes of the game in wonderful fashion. Thus an exciting game, in which the interest was maintained to the finish, resulted in Everton's entry into the semi final by four goals to three.


There was a wide disparity between Everton's display in the two halves of the game. In the earlier portion they were far and away the better team, but later they failed altogether to hold the never say die representatives of the Wednesday club. In fact it was very lucky for them that their quartette of goals had been placed on the slate, and also that Davis missed the first of the two penalty kicks. Otherwise there might easily have been a visit to Owerton next Wednesday. Still all's well that ends well. Everton on the whole were the better team, although Sheffield Wednesday are entitled to every congratulation upon their meritorious efforts in playing up so strongly against great odds. Scott was safer in goal than Lyall, and the brothers Balmer were more reliable than Layton, and Burton. There was little to choose between the Everton half-backs, but unquestionably the most conspicuous forward on the field was Hardman, who had not a little to do with his side's victory. Young showed some improvement on recent displays, and with Sharp taking advantage of any openings which came his way, the inside men, Bolton and Settle, rendered valuable assistance. On the Sheffield side Simpson was probably the pick of the vanguard.



March 12, 1906. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 29)

Everton fulfilled their return fixture at Stylebridge Rovers. The initial game had resulted in favour of Everton by three clear goals, and on Saturday they ran their opponents to a draw each side getting a goal. It was by no means a good game. Neither side drawing much method in their attack, but the visitors was the cleverer side, and wore quite worthy of a point. further changes had been made in the forwards line, but this brought very little improvement in the way of the front rank. Still, the side improved upon their previous week's performance, and better display may be looked for. All the scoring was done in the second half. Ingdon getting though for the Rovers a thin a mantle of changing ends, and Butler making the score level. The ground was on the heavy side and all though the defenders held the upper hand.



March 19, 1906. The Liverpool Courier



If ever a team was lucky in acquiring both points this certainly was the case with Everton on Saturday. On the face of it a victory at Ewood park of two goals to one looks capital performance, but no one who witnessed the game could maintain that the result in any way reflected the run of the play. For the greater part of the game the Rovers were simply all over the Evertonians and had chances galore to score. That they did no tarail themselves of the opportunities was of course their own fault. On the other hand, Everton did turn two chances to good account, and the consequence was that, although outplayed they were returned the victors of a match in which the quality of the football rarely sustained a high standard. It was an exceedingly lucky win, and enthusiasts of the club may well regard this as a happy omen in connection with the great cup semi-final, which is rapidly approaching.


Not until the team arrived in Birmingham was the constitution on the Everton from line definitely settled. It was known that R.Balmer and Booth would be a absentee, but there was a doubt as to whether Settle would be able to fill his customary position. Eventably, in view of his injured shoulder, it was decided to afford him a rest, and to give another trial to Cooke, the Seacombe recruit. In delightful weather and on splendid turf one expected from much old rivals as Everton and the Rovers a fine exhibition of football. Probably the crosswind had not a little to do with the lack of methods observable, but the game had not progressed long before it was evident that Everton were not in their Sheffield Wednesday Cup fighting form. Indeed for a long time their forwards could make no headway at all, and when with a surprise shot Cooke opening the scoring, the spectators could hardly tumble to the situation that the home side were a goal down. It was not very long before the interval and the Rovers equalised, and certainly on the play they got no more than their deserved. The second half was practically a replica of the first. The Rovers enjoyed bulk of the attack, but failed masterably in front of goal, which from a breakaway on the part of Hardman. Hardman. Bolton enabled Everton to obtain the victory in a match, which proved that after all the better side does not always win.


As will be gathered from the foregning remarks, the game was by no means of a brilliant order; yet at times there was some splendid individual work, with was really over looked in consequence of glaring ineffectiveness in front of goal. Sharp was quite overshadowed by Cowell, and the best forwards on the Everton side were Hardman and Bolton. Young was in a hesitating mood and on one occasion he mulled a fine opening, but he has this satisfaction that he was not the only culprit in this respect. Makepeace was the shinning light among the halves, and considering the pressure, to which they were subjected, it was a feature in the caps of Scott, Balmer and Crelly that only one goal fell to the lot of Rovers. The opposing forwards, it is true did not improve obvious chance but that is their own luck out. After all, considering the number of injured players on Everton's list this season, it is true they had some luck. Teams: - Blacburn Rovers: - Robertson, goal, Crompton, and Cowell, backs Wolstenholmes Berchall, Chadwick, Whittaker, Robertson, Davis and Bowman forwards. Everton: - Scott goals, W.Balmer, and Crelly backs, Black, Taylor (Captain), and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp, Bolton, Young, Cook, and Hardman forwards.



March 19 1906. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 30)

Everton who have not won a match since January 20, sustained another reverse at Goodison-park on Saturday. When Darwen beat them by the odd goal of three. Everton were not at full strength, and gave trials to two new players, a goalkeeper and a half-back, but the great weakness was among the forwards. Darwen are a well-balanced side, and are making a bold fight for championship honour, but Everton should have held their own. During the first half Everton made many mistakes, and but for weakness near goal they would have crossed over on level terms. Darwen, on the other hand, were always dangerous near goal, and it was only sound back play on the part of Hill that kept out the East Lancashire men. However, Crook scored after Depledge, the Everton goalkeeper, had failed to fist away from Booth's centre, and later the same player put on another goal. Everton afterwards improved somewhat, and shortly before the interval Grundy reduced the visitors lead. In the second half Darwen had the best of the earlier stages, but Hill kicked and tackled finely. He also made the two best attempts at scoring during this half. Lill saving in fine style. Everton tried hard to get level in the closing stages, but the effort came too late, and the visitors won as stated. Everton lost the game through their weakness close at goal for of the forwards only McNaugton and Grundy did themselves justice. Chadwick was the best of the halves. Frith, a new comer being rather slow. Hill gave a splendid display at full back, while Depledge showed promising form. Darwen had a sound defence, and Crook and Cate, on the right wing were clever forwards. Everton: - Deledge, goal, Hill, and Wright, backs, Frith, Chadwick, and Donaldson half-backs, Birnie, Butler, Bannister, Bowser, and Grundy forwards .



March 22 1906. The Liverpool Courier


The re-arranged League fixture was played at Goodison-park yesterday in bright, though rather Chilly weather. The fact that the visitors are one of the four fortunate teams in the semi-final of the English Cup rendered their presence additionally attractive, and the gate was helped by the kick off being fixed for five o'clock Sharp, owing to the death of a relative, was an absentee from the Everton team, and on the Arsenal side there were several changes, Fitchie and Sands being unable to get away from business. The teams were: - Everton: - Scott, goal, Hill and R.Balmer backs, Booth (Captain) Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Donnachie, Cooke, Young, Settle, and Hardman, forwards. Woolwich Arsenal: - Ashcroft, goal, Gray, and Cross, backs, Bigden, Theobald, and McEachrane, half-backs, Garbutt, Coleman Freeman, Scatterwaite, and Neave, forwards. Referee J.T.Howcroft.

Everton winning the toss, had the advantage of the wind. Freeman set the ball in motion, and the Arsenal left got away, but the ball rolled harmlessly behind. From the goal kick Everton came away and threatened danger, a promising move by Settle and Hardman being spoiled by the wind. Young cleverly outwitted Cross and put to Hardman, who, however, failed to reach the ball in time. Settle lost ground by needlessly fouling when well placed. Prior to the free kick a stoppage of a few moments took place while the trainer attended to Booth, and Scatterwaite. The Everton halves were holding the Arsenal forwards splendidly, but from a breakaway Neave centred and Garbutt nearly scored. So far the play had not reached a high standard, Everton with the wind helping them being unable to make any impression on the visitors defence. Young, Bolton, and Donnachie, showed some pretty passing, but when close on goal Donnachie was brought up for fouling Cross. The play was mostly about the half-way line, with Everton making spasmodic attempts at goal. Garbutt got away, and from his centre Coleman tested Scott with a stiff ground shot. Coming away Young put in a terrific drive, which missed by inches only. Hill was applauded for cleverly robbing Freeman, but the Arsenal coming along, Garbutt was allowed to score a somewhat simple goal. This success acted as a tonic to the Arsenal, who commenced to press strongly Scatterwaite and Neave always being dangerous. Settle at one time falling back alone saved the citadel. Arsenal continued to attack strongly, with the result that the Everton defence was scarcely taxed. There was certainly move method about the work of the Gunners than of their opponents, but eventually from smart tactics on the left Cooke helped in just the wrong side of the post. This was the prelude to further pressure by the Blues when display, however, did not come up to expectations. Hardman tried to go through on his own, but was bundled over unceremoniously, and the ball going to Settle, that player sent wide, a performance, which he repeated a few moments later. At the other end after a bad miskick by Taylor, Coleman put in a terrific shot which, fortunately for Everton, was lacking in direction. Neave was injured and had to be attended to by the trainer at the side of the field. Kicking out by the Arsenal backs did not meet with the approval of the crowd, and so far the quality of the football had not attainted a high standard. Ashcroft fisted away from Young, and the Arsenal custodian next had to deal with a long shot from R.Balmer. Everton were now attacking with a little more life, but their efforts in front of goal might easily have been improved upon. Neave reappeared and although Everton had the better of the argument they could not secure the equalising goal. Settle was pulled up for offside to the disastrous of the spectators, and following a corner, Booth banged the ball against an Arsenal defender with tremendous force. Miskicks were frequent on both sides, and combination in the respective forward lines was at a discount. Hardman raced away in great style, and cleverly outwitting Gray got the ball to Young, who with no one to beat missed the ball altogether. The chance was certainly one of a lifetime, and would be especially galling to Hardman, who, had he not been so unselfish, might possibly have scored himself. Half-time Everton nil, Woolwich Arsenal 1.

On resuming, in the presence of some 12,000 spectators, Everton were the first to make headway, and Ashcroft was called upon to negotiate a fine shot from Settle. Arsenal gained a corner through the instrumentally of Garbutt. but the ball from the corner flag was placed behind. Still the Arsenal right wing indulged in some pretty work, and forced the Everton defenders plenty to do to save their lines. Young at last got in a capital shot, which Ashcroft as cleverly diverted, and then the game was stopped for a few movements on account of Donnachie and Cooke coming into collision. Young apart from the one shot, had been distinctly disappointing. Coleman shot and Scott fisted out. Then Everton came along in nice style, but Donnachie's centre was cleared. Hardman when travelling up the wing was given offside a decision, which did not meet with the approval of the crowd. Coleman put in a stinger, which Scott only partially saved at his first attempt, but which he eventually cleared. Young, after some clever dribbling, again spoiled his goal, work by weak shooting. The Arsenal forwards were always dangerous when in possession and gave the Everton defence many anxious moments. For once in a way the Everton half-backs were not at their best, even Makepeace finding Garbutt and Coleman a rare handful. Loose play, by Balmer nearly let in Freeman, whose final shot, however, went wide. A dash by Settle and Young was spoiled by the wind. At no time was the game a good one, the combination of both sides being faulty. Young got the ball beautifully over and Settle just topped the crossbar with a good shot. The Gunners gained a corner, which was well placed, and in the front of goal, Makepeace was slightly injured. Everton also had a corner, but their forwards scarcely ever looked like scoring. Each goal was attacked in turn, and a disappointing game ended in a victory for the Woolwich, who got no more than their deserve. Final; Everton nil Woolwich Arsenal 1.



March 26, 1906. The Liverpool Courier.



After the wretched display which the Everton team gave against Woolwich Arsenal, givings as to the outcome of their match with Sunderland. Especially was this the case in view of the fact that for three seasons in succession the Wearsiders had triumphed at Goodison park, without the home contingent being able to score a solitary goal. Happily the Evertonians for once in a way gave of their best, and it is quite within the range of probability that if the football public had any idea of the quality of the game Everton were to play the attendance might have been doubted. The improvement too came at an opportune time, for is not the game of the season to be played at Birmingham next Saturday? Certainly Everton's latest exhibition has given their supporters additional hope for the success of their favourites in the semi final at Aston-park with their keen but friendly rivals of Anfield-road. One thing is certain, that if Youngs plays up to the standard which he attained against Sunderland the Liverpool defence, strong as it is, will have to be on their best behaviour.


The weather was scarcely calculated to bring out the best points of the Association code, for the strong wind which blow from goal to goal interforced not a little with the best intentioned efforts of the contestants, Sunderland's opportunity of repeating previous victories came to them in the first half when they had the benefit of the breeze. Unfortunately for them, but all the better for Everton, they failed to rise to the occasion, and threw away chances of scoring by resorting to the dallying tactics when in front of the goal posts. As a matter of fact, Everton opened the scoring Young being the excentant. It was a brilliant effort, too, on the part of the home centre forward, who had to thank Settle for giving him the chance as the result of a well judged pass, Sunderland although in arrears played up strongly, and when Balmer had to leave the field owing to injury one might have expected an extra efforts to be made on their part. Singularly enough it was not until Balmer's reappearance that the equalising goal arrived, Shaw netting the ball after Gemmill had tested Scott. There was quite a different story to tell of the second halt. Aided by the wind the Evertonians came out of their shell, and in the end-ran the Sunderland men off their feet. Nalsby proved a rare custodian, and certainly no blame could possibly attach to him for his failure to stop the shots with which Abbott and Young scored. Indeed, he kept out many hot attempts one from a splendid shot by Young being exceedly clever. Everton won conformably by three goals to one, and, as has been indicated afforded great delight to their followers.


The most pleasurable feature of the game from an Everton point of view was the capital display of Young. The Everton centre has proved disappointing practically throughout the season, but in the match under notice he showed the ability which a few years ago led to him receiving his cap against England. Apart from his judgement work in midfield he let himself go in the matter of shooting, with the result that he credited himself with a couple of goals, while other shots of his might easily have beaten a less skilful custodian than Nalsby. With Young in such form it will require a very powerful defence to overcome the Everton front line, while Sharp, Bolton, and Settle attained their usual standard, it was pleasing to note the advance made by Donnachie, who especially in the later stages of the match was singularly effective as substitute for Hardman. Abbott signallised his reappearance in the half-back line by scoring a goal- and what a terrific shot it was- on other respects he gave a sound display. Scott was safe in goal, and despite Balmer's injury, there was little fault to be found with the Everton backs. Nalsby proved himself a most capable custodian, and probably the two other prominent figures on the Sunderland side were Watson and Shaw. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, W.Balmer, and Crelly, backs Booth (Captain) Taylor, and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Bolton, Young, Settle, and Donnachie forwards. Sunderland: - Nalsby, goal, Rhodas, and Watson, backs, Farquhar, Tomlin, and Willis, half-backs Hogg, O'Donnell, Shaw (Joseph), Gemmill, and Bridgetts, forwards. Referee F.Heath.



March 26 1906. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 31)

In view of the recent moderate displays on the part of Everton Reserves, it was hardly to be expected that they could prove equal to the task of beating Nelson. They, however, put up a good fight, although they had to acknowledge another defeat. Changes were again made in the forward line, but as the team failed to score the alteration would not appear to have been altogether successful. Nelson put on a goal in each half, and at times gave the Everton defenders plenty of work, but Depledge, and his backs played well all through, and it was chiefly due to their sound work that Nelson did not score oftener than they did. One of the Everton backs was Russell a Midland player, and he showed that he has good football in him. Like Everton, the home side had a sound defence, the ready tackling of the halves and full backs preventing the visitors from getting into their stride. There was however, a lack in method near goal, and an improvement in the attack is necessary if Everton are to make any further progress in the table. They have only won two matches since the New Year, and then only by a single goal in each instance. It is to be hoped that a victory will be forthcoming on Tuesday evening when Oldham Athletic visits Goodison-Park. Everton: - Deledge goal, Wildman, and Russell, backs, Black, Chadwick, and Donaldson, half-backs, Birnie, Holmes, Bowser, McLoughlin, and Grundy, forwards.



March 28 1906. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 32)

This rearranged match was played at Goodison-park last evening, before a moderate attendance. It was the return engagement between the clubs, the initial match having resulted in favour of Oldham by a goal to nil, the point being scored from a penalty kick. Everton made several changes from Saturday's team, the elevens being as follows: - Everton: - Depledge, goals, Streetle, and Wright, backs, Frith, Chadwick, and Donaldson, half-backs, Birnie, Holmes, Bannister, McLaughlin, and Grundy, forwards. Oldham: - Wright, goals, Hobson, and Stafford, backs, Fay, McAllister, and Heywood, half-backs, Kelly, Shadbolt, Galvin, Cairns, and Tannahill, forwards. Galvin kicked off, and the Athletic were the first to show up, Wright repulsing, Everton retaliated, and Bannister tried Wright with a beauty, which the custodian cleared. Wright followed this with a long drive, but Hodson got the ball out of the ruck and cleared. The Athletic could not get away, and Chadwick forced Wright to give a corner from a long effort. This came to naught, however, for a long period the game was went in favor of the home team. Strettell, a recruit from the Lively Polly Club, showing up well in defence when the Athletic tried to break away. Bannister then beat Wright with a high shot, and opened the scoring for the home team. Thus encouraged, Everton put on further pressure, and soon afterwards McLaughlin scored a second goal with a swift drive, Wright being helpless. Oldham were never really dangerous, although once Galvin sent close with a long shot Everton, though doing all the pressure, could not beat Wright again, and the interval arrived with the score 2-0 in favour of the home side.

Everton restarted, and Oldham had a look in, McAllister sending over, McLaughlin following suit at the other end. The Athletic improved considerably on their form of the first half, Strettell clearing beautifully and Depledge saving a fine attempt by Kelly. Good work by Tannahill and Cairns was negative by Chadwick, the Athletic for some time quite as much of the play as their opponents. Galvin forced Depledge to given a corner, which proved useless. Depledge had to give another corner in order to prevent a shot from Kelly taking effect, the flag kick again proving abortive. The Athletic were trying hard to open their score, but Depledge and his backs were safe, the custodian saving well from Kelly. The closing portion of the game was evenly contested, and once Bannister nearly got through, but nothing further was scored, and Everton gained a welcome victory. Final- Everton two goals Oldham Athletic nil.





March 1906