Everton Independent Research Data


MARCH 1907


March 4, 1907. The Liverpool Courier



At last Everton and Bolton Wanderers have finished with each other for this season. Neither side will be disappointing, especially as in the course of eight days they have had to make each other's acquaintance on three occasions. The Wanderers can derive little comfort from their meeting with the Evertonians. Not only have they been ousted by them from the English Cup competition, but they have dropped four League points –two last Saturday –and have the rather disconcerting consolation of scoring a solitary goal during six hour's play. Well may the Bolton people be glad to welcome the fall of the curtain so far as Everton are concerned. After the storm comes a calm. This was very much in evidence in the return League match at Goodison Park. On the previous Saturday Cup-tie fever was rampant, and there was a record gate for the ground. The replay at Burden Park –again there was an unprecedented attentances for the ground –and Everton's brilliant victory took all the interest out of the third meeting of the sides in the League. Can one marvel at the comparative indifference manifested. In regard to Saturday's game, which Everton won by the narrowest possible margin?


There were notable absentees from each side. Everton suffered the most. They were short of W.Balmer, Abbott, Sharp, Settle, and Young –rather a formidable quintette. And with the exception of Abbott, who was doing duty for his country at Glasgow, all were laid aside as the result of injuries. Bolton too, contributed Stokes to the inter –League match, while Shepherd and Stanley were also on the injured list. Thus it came about that each team introduced a back new to League football –Strettell of Everton, and Slater, of the Wanderers. With so many brilliant players away it was only to be expected that the equality of the play would suffer, but even had both teams been at full strength, a doubt still remains as to weather the game would have risen above mediocrity. That, however, is mere speculation. For the most part Saturday's encounter was devoid of those thrilling incidents, which are so exhilarating to the football crowd. The first half was tame to a degree. There was absolutely nothing to rouse the spectators, from which it will be gathered that goals were wanting. After the change of ends an improvement was apparent, but still there was little about which one could enthuse. True when late on in the proceedings the plucky and versatile Hardman scored for Everton, the crowd were on better terms with themselves. Still few people were sorry when the whistle brought to an end one of the most uninteresting games seen at Goodison –Park this season.


It was not a match which require anything in the nature of serious criticism. As a counterblast to the feverish excitement of the cup-tie it was what might have been anticipated. League points were at stake, though they were not of undue importance to either side. Again Everton were unquestionably the cleverer eleven, even with their many reserves. Hardman and Wilson were the pick of the attack, the latter especially exhibiting some remarkably smart footwork. Rouse was by no means a success in the centre. Not only did he make a sad mess of several fine centres, but he failed to distribute the play as he ought to have done. The right wing –Donnachie and Graham –was good and bad by turns. The former was often beaten, but as compensation he got in some grand centres almost from the touchline. Chadwick deputised for Abbott with distinct. Indeed he is a half-back who would be heartily welcomed by many League clubs. Strettell made a fair first appearance, though under pressure he seemed to lose his head, while he exhibited a tendency to wander unduly. Taylor, Makepeace, and R. Balmer all did well, and as for Scott, he was rarely troubled. The Wanderers attack was singularly ineffective, and in defence, apart from Edmondson, who had no chance with the goal that scored, Baverstock, Clifford, and Gaskell best served them. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, Strettell, and R. Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Chadwick, half-backs, Donnachie, Graham, Rouse, G. Wilson, and Hardman, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Edmondson goal, Baverstock, and Slater, backs Gaskill, R. Clifford, and Boyd, half-backs Weaver, Cameron, Owen, W. White, and McEwan, forwards. Referee A. Green.



March 4 1907. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One. (Game 26)

By beating Bolton Wanderers at Burnden-Park, Everton Reserves accomplished a good performance for the Trotters occupy a high position in the League table. The victory was only secured by the close margin of two goals to one, but it served, and Bolton people will now have had a sufficiency of Everton football. The visitors held a decided advantage during the early stages and Jones scored his usual goal, which enabled the visitors to lead at half-time. On resuming Dempsey equalised but Everton again took the lead, which they held to the end. Considering that Everton were without five of the regular team, their win was all the more praiseworthy. Bolton made only three changes owing to League team calls, but they were beaten by a better side. Everton now have a fine chance of ousting Liverpool from the leading position, but a good deal will depend upon their visit to Oldham on the 16 th inst. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Crelly, and AN Other, backs Black, Wright, and Stevenson, half-backs, Dorward Thomas, Jones Cook, and Butler, forwards.



March 4 1907. The Liverpool Courier.

At Ibrox on Saturday English League drew with the Scottish, no goals beening the result, Abbott the only player from this district quite warranted his selection.



March 5, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.


The Everton players left Liverpool yesterday by the Great Central route for their training quarters at Chingford. They however, stayed at Sheffield in order to bring off the postponed League match with the United at Bramell –Lane. The afternoon turned out beautifully fine after the fog in the early morning. Hardman were unable to play, and the Everton directors decided not to select the team until just before the match. There were hopes that David Wilson might have reached Sheffield in time to take his place in the forward line, but as he did not put in an appearance, the Everton directors a quarter of an hour before the time for starting had to pick the team without him. In addition to Hardman, Everton were short of Young, Settle, Abbott, and R. Balmer. The teams were - Everton: - Scott, goal, Strettell, and W. Balmer, backs Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Chadwick, half-backs, Sharp, Graham, Rouse G. Wilson, and Donnachie, forwards. Sheffield United: - Leivesley, goal, Benson, and Johnson, backs W. H. Wilkinson, B. Wilkinson, and Needham half-backs, Thompson, Bluff, Brown, Drake, and Lipsham, forwards. Referee P. Heath. The home team was the same as that which defeated Woolwich Arsenal on Saturday. Although the weather was spring like, there was only a moderate attendance. Taylor lost the toss, and this meant that Everton had to play with the sun in their faces. Rouse kicked off, and the United immediately made tracks for the Everton goal, Balmer prevented Brown getting in a shot, but a moment later the centre forward head the ball into Scott's hands. The Blues could not get over the half-way line and Strettell was weak in his kicking though fortunately nothing came of one bad mistake. A hugh kick by Balmer set Everton going, but Graham in passing back to Sharp, sent out of play. Taylor was prominent, and from one of his passes Donnachie had a chance of making progress, but Johnson dispossessed him. Sharp although not in condition put in some neat touches, and on the left Donnachie displayed tricky footwork. Still the Sheffield goalkeeper was not troubled so far there was not much of interest in the play mistakes being made by both sides. At length Rouse had an opening and he shot in low and hard, Leivesley stopping the ball at the corner of the net. Them Rouse's pass Sharp shot across the goalmouth, Needham conceding a corner, from which Leivesley saved cleverly from Graham. Lipsham, when apparently offside, ran well down only to be beaten by Strettell, but the United continued to attack, Scott being twice called upon. The home right was showing up well, and from their work, Brown had a chance, Scott however, was too good for him and the Irish International also saved neatly from Drake. The United were doing all the pressure and when within the penalty area, Taylor came under the ban of the referee for tripping Brown. The referee awarded a penalty kick , and the kick was entrusted to Brown, who shot into the corner of the net, quite out of Scott's reach. Neither side unduly exerted themselves, and for the most part play favoured the home lot. Once Sharp got in a lovely centre, and it was not without great difficulty that Leivelsey successfully defended his charge. Throws –in, were unusually numerous, and there was little to excite the spectators, B. Wilkinson called upon Scott with a long shot, and at the other end effective work between Rouse, Graham and Sharp ended in the latter having a pop at Leivesley. Eventually Everton showed some of their true form, the whole front line combining with rare effect. Johnson when hard pressed by Sharp, kicking out, and from the throw in, the ball went to Rouse, who scored a really clever equalising goal. Sheffield quickly retaliated and there was an appeal against Strettell for handling within the penalty area, but the referee was in favour of the Everton men. Next Thompson shot over, and Scott throwing himself full length on the ground just managed to divert a dangerous shot from Brown at the expense of a fruitless corner. At the other end Sharp, forced a corner, but Chadwick shot over the bar. Strettell was compelled to concede a corner which again was badly utilised, and Bluff was too high with a hot shot in the course of further pressure, Strettell rendered his side good service. Thompson was injured in contact with Balmer, but he soon returned. Pretty passing by the Evertonians carried the ball well into the Sheffield half, G. Wilson shot over, and Graham had a splendid opportunity of scoring when close in, but shot weakly at Leivesley. Another onslaught by Everton was unproductive and the next item of interest was a capital attempt by Needham, whose shot was fisted away by Scott. Brown too, with a fast low shot, only missed the post by inches. Sharp cleverly outwitted a couple of opponents, but nothing came of his centre, and the change of ends came with the score level. Half-time Sheffield United 1, Everton 1.

In the second half play was much livelier, and the home team did the bulk of the pressing, but they missed many chances. Somehow or another Everton could not get into their stride. On the other hand the United forwards were on the alert, and once Brown placed them ahead, was no holding them. Meanwhile Chadwick had been in the wars, receiving a nasty kick on the leg, and it was no great surprise when Brown added a third goal about which there was more than a suspicious of offside. The “hat-trick” accomplished by Brown seemed to spare his colleagues, and the United made their position even more secure when Bluff added a fourth. After this Everton put fourth desperate efforts to assert themselves, but it was too late, and even then was unsuccessful. several corners fell to them, and on one occasion Needham's judgement in falling back into the goalmouth saved a certain goal. However, the end came with Everton well beaten. Final Sheffield United 4, Everton 1.

There was no doubt that Sheffield United on the day's play were the better side. Everton were sadly handicapped on account of injuries to several of their regular players, and four hard games in the course of ten days naturally told a tale. The first half was pretty even, without producing any exciting episodes, but later until Sheffield United had made their position secure Everton was never in the hunt. The “Blues” came again in the last ten minutes of so of the game, but the United prevailed. The Everton players will now have a rest until Saturday and it is to be hoped that the stay at Chingford will find the regular members of the team fit for the fourth round tie against Crystal Palace.



March 5, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.

Wales played Scotland at the Racecourse Ground yesterday afternoon, in presence of 8,000 spectators. Wales winning by a goal to nil.



March 11, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.

Fa Cup Round Four.


The match between Crystal Palace and Everton on Saturday, on the ground of the Glaziers, was a true game of Cu- -tie football –more rough and tumble or rush and smush than anything else. True football, as it is seen in the best League games, was nearly an entire absentee. Such of it as there was Everton was responsible for, and more by far in the second half than the first. Looking back on the game, one cannot help but wish that the Crystal Palace goal had been secured by other means than an accident. But of such is the game of football. The two Balmers are usually as safe as houses, but why they should collide with each other at a critical moment and leave the Glaziers' right wing men free –very much to their surprise –is a mystery that will take a deal of fathcoming. Of course, when the ball had been passed back to Astley and Scott (who did everything he ought to have done in leaving his goal) charged him the home centre scored. There lay the crux of the game, and it was this goal which makes it necessary for the teams to meet each other again to settle their differences before either can enter the semi-final.


The homesters fully deserved their respite. They had worked hard and had proved the surprise packet of the South. All the better known Southern clubs had gone down, with the single exception of Woolwich Arsenal, and yet the perky Glaziers still came up smiling to tackle the redoubtable Cup-holders, and so they deserved to get another chance. They played much better football than they have done since they beat Newcastle United. They were cheered by having a large gate –a record. In fact, on their ground, apart from a Cup-final –and their supporters were buoyed up by a confidence, which was certainly not warranted on form. Determination was the note with which they entered on the conflict, and it was evidently the spirit with which they fought the game.

From soon after the start it was clear that the match was going to be a tough one. The visitors did not seen to consider their opponents were quite so doughty as they proved to be. Perhaps, however, lucky is the word to use, for while none could say that the Palace men played such good football as Everton, yet it is equally certain that they were always right on the ball, whenever their presence was most needed. The number of fouls was very large, and it was particularly noticeable that Needham the home back was in most of them, either as the aggressor or the injured party. It would scarcely be fair to say that even the worst of the fouls except perhaps one where Wilson was tripped, was at all dangerous. The most serious accident was that which occurred through a collision between Innerd, the home captain, and R. Balmer. Both players seemed to bang their heads together very severely, and the former had to be carried off the field. He did not return again, but recovered very quickly in the dressing room. This accident happened within three or four minutes of the end of the game.


The first half, and the second differed entirely from each other. In the earlier portion of the game it would be hard to say which had the better of the game except from the point of view of the score sheet. Both halves of the ground were invaded in turn, and it did not seem as if either side intended to score until close upon half-time, when the home team secured the goal before described. There were shots and shots which in second class game might have scored, but the best attempts was one by Young, which struck the cross bar and bounded over. A little lower and the result of the game might have been completely changed. The other shots – with the exception perhaps, of one by Wallace right across the mouth of the goal –were not nearly so well judged, and many were sent straight into the goalkeeper's hands. The second half was much different. It may have been the heavy rain that made the change, but whatever it was the visitors made far more of their opportunities, and had much the better of the exchanges. There had been a drizzling rain falling all the afternoon, beginning about one o'clock, but in the second half it became a steady downpour. There was little if any breeze. It was during this half that the visitors seemed to show more of their true form, and some of the passing was very pretty. The tackling too, was very neat. One especially fine bit of work was done by Makepeace, who took the ball from the toes of the opposing forwards, and after trickily evading Ryan and Forster passing to Donnachie, who centred beautifully. The effort came to nought, owing to the splendid work of Needham.


The one score by Everton was just the sort of smart play, which one likes so much to see on the part of a footballer. Taylor deserves every credit for his score. He got the leather right in the midst of an array of opponents, and without giving any one time to think his mind was made up, the ball was inside the net. Neither Needham, Edwards, nor Ryan, all of whom were near, had any chance to stop him, and he took good care to let the goalkeeper have no opportunity either. There was no further score, but it certainly seemed to the onlookers that there ought to have been, for the whole of the advantage was with the visitors. Apart from an isolated breakaway, the home eleven were kept pegging away at defence the whole of the last quarter of an hour or twenty minutes. There is little need to particularise because, generally speaking, every man in both teams did all that was required of him, and it is hard to say which was the best man. Teams: - Crystal Palace: - W. Wilson, goal, Needham, and Edwards, backs Innerod (Captain), Ryan, and Foster, half-backs, Wallace, Harker, Astley, Woodger, and Roberts, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain) and Abbott, half-back, Donnachie, Settle, Young G. Wilson, and Hardman forwards. Referee T. Kirkham.



March 11, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 27)

A Rather remarkable game was witnessed at Goodison Park on Saturday, when Everton and Manchester United were in opposition. The visitors had a very strong side out, including Berry (The old Tottenham Hotspur player) and Sager, and for some time held their own well, their half-backs in particular showing capital footwork on the muddy ground. Then, however, Thompson the United right half retired hurt, and later on Allynes one of their backs had also to leave the field. Afterwards, as might have been expected, Everton did all the pressing, and Jones the centre accomplished the “hat-trick.” He began by beating Driver just before the interval with a neat shot, and on resuming added his second goal by a remarkable effort, following a fine centre from Cooke. Then he banged the ball against the crossbar with a terrific drive, but he subsequently added his third goal, and Everton won by three to nil. Jones has now scored 39 goals for Everton, all but three of them having been obtained in Lancashire Combination games. He has a wonderful facility for turning the ball into goal from all angles and although he nips up centres and shots without hesitation, he has fine judgement in placing the ball. With luck on Saturday he accomplished the “hat-trick” in each half. It is extraordinary that Jones should not have been given an opportunity of demonstrating his goal scoring with the first team.

Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettell, and Crelly, backs Black, Booth, and Donaldson half-back, Thomas, Graham Jones Cooke and Butler, forwards.



March 14 1907. The Liverpool Courier.

Fa Cup Round Four Replay.


In football circles throughout the country intense interest was taken in the replayed English Cup-tie at Goodison-Park between Everton and Crystal Palace. This success of the Southerners has been the great surprise of the competition, and with a little luck they might have triumphed over the cupholders the first time of asking. However the general opinion was that in the replay Everton would prove easy winners. The Crystal Palace team, though suffering from injuries to players, was by no means dismayed at having to meet the cupholders on their own ground. Since Monday they had stayed at Southport where it may be remembered Tottenham Hotspur sojourned the year they won the cup. With fine weather prevailing before the match the chances of a big gate were all the more enhanced. Before the game started there were ominous clouds hovering around. About half an hour from the kick off there must have been fully 25,000 people within the enclosure. As previously announced Everton were able to play their full team. Sharp's injured thigh having come on all right. Crystal Palace too were not so badly off as regards the mishaps to players, and they were able to rely upon exactly the same teams as represented than last Saturday. The sides were: - Everton: - Scott, goal, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer backs Makepeace, Taylor (Captain) and Abbott half-backs, Sharp Settle, Young, G. Wilson, and H.P. Hardman, forwards. Crystal Palace: - Hewitson, goal, Needham, and Edwards, backs Innerd (Captain), Ryan, and Forster, half-backs Wallace, Harker, Astley, Woodger, and Roberts, forwards. Referee J.C. Ibbotson, Linesmen, Messrs Muir, and Stoneheaver. Rain was falling heavily when the teams appeared on the field, in the presence of some 35,000 people. Taylor beat Innerd in the spin of the coin, and Astley kicking off, the “Glaziers” at once attacked. A foul against Ryan brought temporary relief. The Palace, however, returned to the attack, and W.Blamer and Scott were responsible for a clever save from Woodger and Harker. Then the Toffee men got going, but when approaching goal, Settle spoiled by getting off side. A moment later Young should have scored, but putting the ball too far forward, Edward dispossessed him. Sharp was not too happy on the slippery turf, and on a couple of occasions was badly at fault, with his centres, Settle and Young after combining prettily put the home outside right going, but he somewhat tamely allowed Edwards to rob him and then the Palace attacked. Their efforts were good, and only sterling work by Taylor and Makepeace prevented their scoring. At last Young got away, and putting down to Sharp, that player was again in fault. Needham was damaged in a collision with the home centre forward, but soon resumed, The visitors were rather having the better of the argument, the efforts of the home forwards lacking finish. The soft ground had undoubtedly to do with this. At last, however, Wilson got through, centred across to Sharp, that player passed back to Hardman, who with an oblique shot, easily defeated. Hewiston. This early success after eleven minutes play was a staggered. But not a bit downhearted the visitors attacked vigorously, and Innerd when given a chance just put wide. A move by the right wing resulted in Edward granting a corner, this being well taken by Sharp, Settle, with an open goal, made no mistake, and scored the second goal. A moment later Hardman passed to Young, who with a low shot, missed by inches, only. A free kick to the Palace taken by Edwards looked dangerous, but in some marvellous fashion, Scott managed to clear as the ball appeared to be going through. Hardman, the humourist, caused laughter by accidentally charging the linesman. Then Settle put in a stringing shot, which fully tested Heitson. Breaking away, the Palace centre-forward beat the brothers Balmer, but Scott coming out removed danger. One again came down the rain, and Settle, who was always to the fore, put in a splendid shot which, was stopped by the visiting custodian. Everton'' commanding lead robbed the game of a lot of interest, but to the credit of the Palace side be it said, they did not display the white feather. Outplayed as regards science, they were vigorous and whole-hearted in their methods, and on one occasion Wallace called upon Scott with a grand centre. Soon the ball was at the other end, and a lively attack resulted in Wilson centring and Hewitt on conceding a corner, from which Abbott shot just over. The Palace only occasionally broke away, and another terrific burst by Everton resulted in Settle scoring a third goal. From a move by Hardman and Wilson, the ball travelled to Taylor, who taking his time and finding Sharp unmarked, placed to that player, who put back to Young. The home centre, exercising a wise discretion, retrained from shooting, but, drawing the visiting attack, placed the ball at the toes of Settle, who easily netted. Then the Palace gained their first corner, but this came to nothing, and the homesters were soon attacking again. Sharp had now got going and being allowed plenty of latitude by Foster was indulging in some nice runs and centres. Hardman was exceedingly tricky, and after one clever run gave Young the chance of a lifetime, but his shot though strong was straight at Hewitson, who rathered the leather, and punted down the field. Astley fouled Taylor, but as Everton were going for goal, Wilson got offside. A moment later when everyone expected Hardman to score, the amateur after going close in, shot too high. Everton at this period were all over their opponents. Indeed the commanding lead, which the Blues had obtained, robbed the game of a lot of interest. Another determined onslaught by the home forwards brought the Palace goal into jeopardy, but Hewitson was alert, and Young relieved the situation by shooting wide. The Everton defenders coped easily with the spasmodic attack at the Palace, and the next item of interest was a run down the wing, by Sharp, whose centre went far wide of the mark. After tricking Taylor and W. Balmer, Woodger put behind and the ball was in midfield when the interval arrived. Half-time Everton 3, Crystal Palace nil.

The first half had borne out to a nicety the general anticipation. Everton were quite three goals the better side, but from the point of view of the spectators this greatly detracted from the interest which would have accrued from a close fight. Right from the kick off Innerd and Wilson displayed temper, and the game was stopped while the referee spoke to them. Then Young got through and though badly hampered, managed to put in a shot, which went wide. Next from a corner, a melee took place in front of Hewitson, bot Wilson and Sharp putting in terrific drives. The custodian was not to be caught napping, and saved in proper fashion. Taylor handled just outside the penalty line, and from the free kick, Astley put over. The rain had now gone off, and the weather was delightful. The homesters were undoubtedly the better side, and were simply playing with their opponents. From a breakaway Woodger was given a chance, but dallying instead of shooting. W.Balmer easily dispossessed him. For a time play was in midfield, until Young, Wilson, and Hardman dashed along, the first named putting in a good shot. After this Sharp raced away and centred onto Young head. Hewitson, however, brought off a smart save and danger was removed for the time being. From a foul on Young, the Blues attacked but could not score, although they were continually hovering round Hewitson. Wilson was in one of his best moods, and continually caused amusement by the easy manner in which he non-plussed his opponents. Young badly fouled Ryan, and then Hewitson missed a shot from Taylor, but luckily Needham was behind him and cleared. After this Astley had a couple of good chances, but there was never any doubt about the result of the game, and after Young had converted a centre from Sharp, Everton ran out the easiest of winners. Final Everton 4 Crystal Palace nil.

There was a marked difference between the play of the two teams at the Palace and at Goodison Park. While Everton were somewhat lucky to draw at the Palace, they simply overwhelmed their opponents in the replay. Once Everton scored –and Hardman did the trick early on –there was only one side in it. Everton's victory by 4 goals to nil was no more than they deserved. The attendance was officially given as 34,340 and the receipts approximately £1,330.


The following analysis, as indicating to some extent the run of the play, was prove interesting: - Taking the goal kicks by each side as a direct guide, it will be seen that Everton had considerably the best of the argument. Corners kicks were conspicuously few, only 5 coming to both teams throughout the game. Of these Everton took 3,2 in the first moiety, from the first of which Settle scored, and 1 in the second, whilst the Glaziers were accorded 1 in each half. As far as free kicks were concerned, Everton were penalised 8 times in each half- 16 in all, the Palace coming out with the cleanest record in this respect –7 and 6, or 13 all told. Everton's undoubtedly superiority is easily seen from the goal kicks taken by the respective teams, the Blues numbers totaling 5 in the first half, and 8 in the second (a total of 13), whilst the Palace figures were 15 in the initial stages, and 13 in the second –a total of 28. It will thus be seen that Everton were considerably the more aggressive side throughout. Once in each half, the referee stopped the game, and resumed play by throwing the ball down. The first goal came to Everton after play had been in progress 11 minutes, the second in 16 minutes, and the third when the game was 29 minutes old, the fourth being registered after 31 minutes had expired in the second half.



March 18, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.



After Saturday's exhibition at Goodison-park, one can quite understand Stoke's qualifications for the position of wooden spoonists. If they should manage to escape relegation to the Second Division it would indeed be something in the mature of a miracle. Apart from the ever-versatile L. R. Roose, the team gave a sorry exhibition. They never looked like scoring, and in one of the most uninteresting League encounters seen at Goodison-Park for many a long day the Evertonians conquered with the greatest possible ease by three clear goals. The funny past of it is that all this was contrary to expectation. It was thought that with the League championship out of reach and the extra exertion, which had been necessary to make certain inclusion in the semi-finals, the Blues would not be included to go out their way to secure a couple of League points. Perhaps the better way of putting it would be to suggest that everybody anticipated that the Potters would fight with all the energy of despair to improve a position which was getting perilously near hopeless.


Yet what happened? The Potters had the first half, and even under these favourable conditions they could make no headway. They had at least a couple of chances, but their forwards were absolutely hopeless as regards turning the easiest of openings to account. The Everton men soon tumbled to the weak opposition they had to face, and, like the artists they are, they managed to manipulate the ball with an amount of cleverness which caused the spectators much amusement, even if one could only by a stretch of the imagination bring oneself to the belief that a struggle for League points was in progress. Bolton signalised his reappearance after an enforced absence by scoring Everton first goal with a well judged shot quite out of Roose's reach. Whatever chance the Potters had proceeded was gone when the chance of ends arrived. Everton with the breeze at their backs, did absolutely, as they liked. There was never any necessity to extend themselves, and it was quite a treat to watch how they toyed with the feeble opposition. At the same time, the two goals which they added to they score were beauties. The first came from a free kick given against Mullineux not far outside the penalty line, Abbott took the kick, and he did not forget to put plenty of sting into his effort. The shot went with what might be described as cannon ball force into the corner of the net. Roose being perfectly helpless in his attempt to avert disaster. The third goal too, which was claimed by Young, was another clever effort –quite after Sandy's own heart. Thus it was that Everton gained the day by three goals to nil, an exact reversal of the verdict in the corresponding fixture last season.


Everton tried a goalkeeper fresh to League football in Depledge, who hails from Wallasey. He had hardly a chance of showing his capabilities on Saturday. On one occasion, when attempting to fist out against the strong breeze, he barely escaped letting his side down, but to counterbalance this, he smartly cleared his lines when a mistake by the elder Balmer looked dangerous. Robert Balmer was easily the best back on the field, the ease and effectiveness of his kicking being particularly noticeable. The Everton halves had really little to trouble them, and the forwards had an afternoon out against a singularly weak defence. Bolton, after his long absence, was as artictis as ever in his manipulation of the ball. Incidentally be it mentioned that the sympathies of all Everton supporters go out to George Wilson in the second bereavement in the course of less than a month. As for the Stoke players, the only man to distinguish himself in any way was the international custodian Roose. Holford was the pick of the defence, but even he was unable to circumvent Young and the inside Everton forwards.

Teams: - Everton: - Depledge, goal, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Donnachie, Bolton, Young, Settle, and Hardman, forwards. Stoke City: - Roose goal, Hargess, and Mulburn, backs, Baddeley, Holford, and Sturgess, half-backs, Fielding, Gallimore, Chalmer, Badderley, and Davies forwards. Referee T.E. Campbell.



March 18, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 28)

While Liverpool were losing a point at home, Everton were having a bad time at Oldham. It was hoped that the Goodison men, who were very anxious to win, would emulate the example of the Anfielders in taking four points out of the Oldham club, but the visitors were handicapped owing to Donnachie and Bolton being required for the League team. At the same time, Everton had their usual defence, and the fact that Oldham triumphed by four goals to nil, is evidence of the dashing play and effectiveness their forwards. Indeed, but for the capital work of Sloan, Everton would have been more than a goal down at the interval, but afterwards Oldham played in irresistible form, and in the end the Goodison-park men were well beaten. It is not often that Everton fail to score, but even Jones could not accomplish this on Saturday, the Prescott lad being very closely shadowed all through. As a result he got few chances, and the best forward work was done by Graham and Rouse. Booth worked untiringly a half, and Crelly, Strettell and Sloan struggled hard to keep down the score, the goalkeeper in particular making some fine saves. It was Oldham's day out, however, and Hancock, the former Port Sunlight player, showed excellent form throughout. Oldham are very anxious to win the championship, as they desire to enter the second Division of the League next season. There is practically nothing between the three leading clubs, and there promises to be a great fight to the finish . Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettell, and Crelly, backs, Black, Booth, and Chadwick, half-backs, Rouse Graham Jones, Not-Known, Butler forwards.



March 18 1907. The Liverpool Courier.

Ireland played and lost their third match in a row by three goals to nil. Scott of Everton had to leave the field, after being injured.



March 18, 1907. The Liverpool Courier

Local footballers will regret to learn that George, and David Wilson, the popular Everton players, have lost another relative. Only a few weeks ago one of their elder brothers died, and now news comes of the death of a young brother.



March 25, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.

Fa Cup Semi-Final.

Well, so far everything has gone their way. It has not been altogether an easy task, but still what team fights it way into the final of the English Cup without, having numerous difficulties to surmount? When Everton were drawn to meet West Bromwich Albion in one of the semi-finals at Bolton, the bulk of football followers regarded it as practically a gift for the Cupholders. A team holding second place in the League ought to pulverise any club in the lower division. That was the argument. But we know the fallacy of such methods of reasoning, especially in regard to cup ties. True, Everton on Saturday defeated West Bromwich Albion by two goals to one, but victory was not accomplished without a really desperate effort. Indeed for half the game the Second leaguers more than held their own. In the end class told its tale. Still the Throstles by their plucky display and sportsmanship demeanor gained many friends.


The conditions for such a great event in the football world were simply perfect. Probably the sun bothered the players more than they cared about, but it was very pleasant for the spectators, whose numbers by the way, fell far short of the memorable re-play between Everton and Bolton Wanderers nearly a month ago. And evidence was not wanting that the crowd had made up their minds that the Albion should not suffer through having to play on Lancashire soil. It was a much heartier greeting which was given to the Throstles than was extended to the Evertonians, and throughout the whole of the ninety minutes' play the Midlanders never lacked encouragement from the onlookers. Of course the Blues had plenty of support, if only from the thousands who made the journey from Liverpool. It was not, however until the second half was well advanced that they were in a state of mind to indulge in the “Portsmouth Chimes.”


West Bromwich Albion in the first half of the game fairly astonished their opponents. They made the pace with a vengeance and their long swinging passes, desperate dashes for goal, and whole-hearted enthusiasm extorted well-merited approbation. Indeed, Everton, for quite a long time, had to play second fiddle. Their forwards were not allowed to get into their stride. The Albion half-backs gallantly led by the veteran Pheasant, were in no mood to allow the Everton forwards much scope, and thus it was that play for the first half hour or so was mostly in Everton quarters. Scoot, however, filled the breach in admirable fashion. The tricky Oxonian, Jordan got no change out of the Irish custodian, who, amongst other fine clearances was seen to great advantage when dealing with a nasty shot from Pheasant, which cannoned off the head of one of the Everton defenders. Still with all their pressing the Albion's colours were the first to be lowered. After a temporary respite through an injury to Taylor, the Everton front line made tracks for the goal, and the irrepressible George Wilson found an opening, and banged the ball into the net. Away went the Albion again, and in less than a couple of minutes a misunderstanding on the part of the Everton defenders resulted in Heywood equalising with Scott helpless to avert disaster. Half-time Everton 1 West Bromwich Albion 1.

Half time scarcely represented the general play when the teams restarted, there was a striking change in the situation. Once Sharp fastened onto a cross from Hardman and scored a brilliant goal, the Throstles were to all intents and purpose a beaten side. They had brought about their own undoing. Their operation evidently had been to make sure of the result in the opening half. This did not materalise, and when their opponents appeared fresh and eager they were in racing perlace unable to raise a gallop. The consequence was that the second half was as dull as the earlier portion of the game had been full of life and interest.


That Everton deserved to win, could not be questioned, although they were nothing like as effective as on their previous appearance at Burnden-Park, when they romped round Bolton Wanderers. They came successfully through a trying time when the Albion put in absolutely all they knew, and for this they have to thank Scott, in large measure. His exhibition between the sides could not be too highly praised. Worried for some time, the brothers Balmer were still a tower of strength to their side, although Pennington the young international was perhaps the most effective back on the field. Handicapped by illness –he had not tasted solid food for a couple of days –the old war-horse John Taylor was of great service to his side, while Abbott and Makepeace was as usual reliable and resourceful. The forwards were not in their happiest vein. Young had one of his off days, Settle did not shine as was expected, and the most constant of the quintette was George Wilson. Sharp and Hardman were brilliant when a chance came their way, and both had a hand in the winning goal, the forward's judgment in working his way in to meet his colleague's centre being praiseworthy to a degree. Although beaten the Albion need in no way be ashamed of themselves. They have some fine young players at their command, notably the two amateurs Jordan and Parkes. Attendance, 32,381

Everton: - Scott, goal, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott half-backs Sharp, Settle, Young, G. Wilson, and Hardman, forwards .



March 25, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 29)

Everton did not experience such difficulty in disposing of the Rovers Reserves at Goodison-park on Saturday, and this credited themselves with four points at the expanse of the Ewood-park brigade. The margin in favour of the Blues was two goals to nil, and all the scoring was done in the second half. Indeed, during the first portion the Rovers were as good as the home side but either set of forwards could get in anything like a decent shot. Smith the Rovers right-back retired just before the interval, but resumed after the change of ends and then from a penalty kick Rouse opened the scoring. Subsequently Harvey, the visitors left back had to be carried off the field, and Rouse scored a second goal after a brilliant effort. He obtain possession near the half-way line, and beating three or four opponents, finished up by banging the ball into the net as McIvor came out. Everton were value for more goals this half, but McIvor showed that he can still keep goal although he was lucky on one occasion when St.John hit the crossbar. St. John was having a trial at outside left, but did nothing sensational. Rouse was the pick of the forwards and Donnachie and Graham also did good work. Jones was too well watched to do much. Everton had a fine half-back line, Booth in particular playing well, while the defence was soundness itself. McIvor kept a fine goal for the Rovers and until they got hurt the backs did splendid services. Stevenson was the better of the halves, while among the forwards Letheron and Cunliffe did exceptionally well. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettell, and Crelly, backs, Black Booth and Chadwick, half-backs Donnachie Graham, Jones, Rouse, St.John, forwards.



March 30, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.


Within the limits of the League no finer holiday attraction could be wished than the meeting of Everton and Liverpool. This was evident enough from the appearance of the Goodison-park ground yesterday. There were probably 50,000 people present, and more were waiting to get in at three o'clock, the time of the kick off. In the glorious weather that prevailed the scene was one of delight the eye of any football enthusiast. The playing pitch was in perfect order, and surrounding this parallelogram of green were massed half a hundred thousand of people, the mere numbers making an impressive spectacle. It only wanted the presence of the players to make the scene complete, and when the teams turned out, Liverpool in red jerseys, and Everton in blue, the sight was a pretty a one as a sporting event could be expected to furnish. Several circumstances combined to give interest to the contest, in addition to the inevitable rivalry of local eleven's, Everton are not only the cupholders and finalists for a second year, but they were challenging the position, of Newcastle as leaders of the League, while Liverpool, themselves the League champions, last week defeated the present League leaders, Newcastle United. The vast crowd was controlled by a mere handful of policemen within the enclosure, although there were several mounted men on duty in the adjoining streets. There was no disorder during the first half, and there were the usual humorous incidents to a big gathering. Anxious spectators clambered on the roofs of some of the stands to the imminent dauger of the necks. A diversion was caused when a kite fell across the ground, and the players, who were kicking the ball about had to gather up the string. All went well during the first half, but at the interval there was an ominous movement in the crowd near the town goal. Then the spectators burst through onto the playing pitch, first by couples, and then in scores and hundreds. The police were helpless in keeping them back and soon the playing pitch was encroached upon, and scores ran across the pitch to the far side. Someone produced a football, and an impromptu game was played. It looked as if the match could not continue, when in came half a dozen mounted policemen, and these soon forced the encroaching crowd beyond the touch line with the result that after an interval of fifteen minutes the second half was resumed, and continued without interruption to the close. Everton were at full strength, and Liverpool lacked McPherson, injured, Robinson again partnering Goddard. The teams therefore lined up in the following advertised order : - Everton: - Scott goal, W. Balmer and R. Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Settle, Young, G. Wilson and Hardman, forwards. Liverpool: - Hardy, goal, Saul, and Dunlop, backs, Parry, Raisebeck (Captain), and Bradley, half-backs, Goddard Robinson, Hewitt, Raybould, and Cox forwards. Raisebeck won the toss amid a loud cheer from the Liverpoolians present, and he had no hesitation in pointing to the town goal. Sandy Young started prompt to time. Dunlop had to kick away, but he kicked against an opponent, and Jack Sharp got possession from the rebound. He was nicely placed for a centre, but tamely sent behind. Cox and Hewitt tried to make headway, but the strength of the wind was miscalculated, and the ball went over the line. Raisebeck did his best to get the forwards going but failed, and then the skipper was penalised for a foul on Young. Hewitt missed a chance to get away, and then Cox and Raybould worked trickily together, and Will Balmer thinking discretion the better part of valour, kicked into touch. A grand run by Hardman electrified the crowd, but his final shot from long range comfortably caught and thrown away by Hardy. There was the first save of the game. A couple of fouls against Liverpool brought the Blues no advantage, and again the Reds' left wing was prominent, but they could not get within shooting distance and when Dunlop receiving a pass back, swung the leather to the other wing, Robinson headed wide. Jack Taylor broke up an attack initiated by Cox, but the Anfield right came again, and Robinson from long range shot over, while a moment later, following some close passing by the Reds, Hewitt narrowly missed with a fast drive. Sharp nearly work through, and Bradley had to kick back to Hardy. Play was suddenly taken to the other end, and Cox called on Scott with a long oblique shot, which the Irishman safely death with. Still sticking to their work, the Reds swarmed round the Blues and Hewitt with an overhead kick from Parry's pass shot over the bar. Saul and Hardman had a tussle, and a free kick against Liverpool took the ball to the Anfield goalmouth, where Settle sent just wide of the upright. Again play finished in a trice to the other end and Hewitt in a gallant effort was sandwiched between the backs. Taylor beat Hewitt, and feeding his forwards beautifully a dangerous attack ensued. Bradley having to give a corner, Raisebeck saved this, but another followed, from which Abbott headed over. The first quarter of an hour had been very even, there being really nothing between the teams. Saul and Raisebeck tried in succession to floor Sandy Young, and when the latter succeeded the referee promptly gave a free kick, which availed the Blues, nothing. The visiting right pressed and R. Balmer gave a corner, which was easily worked away. From another attack by the Anfield right, Robinson got in a centre, but the ball was bouncing awkwardly, and although Raybould got his head to it with an open goal, he sent straight into the hands of Scott. It was rather a lucky squeak for the Blues. A fiercer drive from Cox was charged down. Bradley beautifully fed Cox, and as a result the winger forced a corner off W. Balmer. This was perfectly placed and Raisebeck headed in, Scott saving in grand style. The Reds still pressed, and another corner accrued, again placed beautifully by Cox, but Scott rushed out and fisted clear. Just afterwards Hewitt shot inches over the crossbar. A cheer went up when Young got the better of Raisebeck, and Sharp getting in a centre Hardy saved under difficulties. At the other end the Balmers got the better of Hewitt, but the Reds were now having the best of the play. The second quarter of an hour had been decidedly in their favour, and the Blues had Scott to thank that they were not behind. Another corner to Liverpool were again placed, by Cox, with mechanical accuracy, and a hot attack on the Everton citadel ended when Robinson lifted the ball on top of the net. Raisebeck very prettily beat Wilson with a back heel, but a foul against Parry brought play to the Anfield half, where Young got off-side. Raybould was far too slow in shooting, but a pretty sequence of passing between the visiting right and centre looked promising, Hewitt however, finishing with a shot which went wide. Play continued in the home half, but the Liverpool forwards failed to gauge the wind accurately, and the Everton goal was rarely in danger. Another corner from the Reds was fiddled away –a disastrous lack of methods being shown in the attack. Parry put his leg up to Young, and a free kick was given. From this Dunlop conceded, a corner to Sharp. This was got away, and Cox was sprinting to the other end when he was unaccountably pulled up for offside. Dunlop cleared a free kick, but got hurt, and resumed with a decided limp. Play slackened at the interval approached, and the Reds had the best of matters, the two Balmers being kept busy, Scott was not troubled. A foul against Abbott resulted in one more corner for the Reds, but this time Cox put it behind. This was the last incident of the first half. Half-time Everton nil, Liverpool nil.

After a long interval owing to the crowd breaking in, as already described, Hewitt set the ball rolling against the wind and sun, Settle nearly work through in the first minute, but Hardy ran out and cleared, Cox then dribbled half across the field and swung the leather across to Goddard. R. Balmer kicked into touch, but Hewitt received and centred. Scott clearing comfortably. Sharp easily out raced Dunlop, and although Saul dashed across and cleared the Reds were penalised close in. a corner kick followed, but another infringement of the rules brought relief to the Reds. It was only for a moment as the Blues vanguard got up and a foul was given against the defence close in, the leather ultimately going behind. Sharp forced a corner of Bradley, and from this Young narrowly missed the mark with a fierce drive. Nice work by the Everton right wing, and centre ended in Young putting in a pretty centre, which Hardman made a galliant effort to convert. Hardy saving cleverly. The Blues were now having the best of matters, and their methods near goal looked promising. From a free kick close in Makepeace found himself with an opening, but his shot went wide. W. Balmer missed his kick when Cox was getting dangerous, and the right winger gaining possession, dribbled into grand shooting position, but there was no sting in his shot and Scott saved although three or four Liverpool forwards tried to dispossess the custodian before he could get rid of the ball. Then play veered at once to the other end, and a corner was forced on the right from which Harold Hardman hit the upright, the ball glancing behind. A long shot from Cox, was safely got away by Scott, and the next incident was a foul by Sharp on Dunlop. Hewitt was working well into position when Bob Balmer floored him in very questionable style within the penalty area. Play now rapidly changed ends. Sandy Young sent in a beautiful centre, which went begging and then Cox put in a lovely one on the ground. Robinson dashed out, but managed somehow to muff a glorious chance by skying the ball. The game was stopped for a moment when Robinson accidentally received R. Balmer's foot in his face. A long centre from Sharp was generally in the Anfielders half. Abbott, who drove along the ground at a terrific pace put in a fine shot, just by the corner flag. The spectators had “goal” on their lips, when Hardy flung himself at the ball and brought off a magnificent save. Dunlop completing the clearance by kicking away. Hardy's feat was deservedly applauded. A few moments later he kept out another that appeared to be going wide from Young. The Reds paid a visit to the other end, but it was of brief duration. With half an hour gone the score sheet was still clear and the crowd was getting anxious for goals. Cox and Raybould missed a perfect chance from Robinson's centre. Cox got the ball, but in his haste he headed over. It was a shocking miss. At this stage, Hewitt, who had never recovered from Balmer's charge, went outside-left. Cox going inside and Raybould centre. In a further attack by the Reds, Cox was entirely unsupported but the visitors were now making their presence felt. Dunlop tried to place Sharp offside, but failed, and Hardy had to fist out the winger's centre. The Blues, however, forced a corner, which was got away. Makepeace brought Cox down accidentally the ball being afterwards thrown up, and Liverpool's left winger had to leave the field. He returned in a moment or two apparently little the worse. Play was afterwards in the Liverpool half, but the desired goal never came. Dunlop gave a corner with a wild kick but from this the ball was sent over from a cluster of attackers. Then Liverpool broke away on the right, and obtained a corner, but this was easily dealt with, and just afterwards the whistle sounded. Result, Everton nil, Liverpool nil.


Liverpool threw the match away. With the enormous advantage of sun and wind they should have made the issue safe in the first half, but sheer ineptitude near goal, and glaringly missed chances in this and the second half spoiled them of victory. The Reds had the bulk of the play in the first half, and the Blues in the second moiety, but the pressure of the Blues was more sustained than that of the Reds. They too, failed by poor shooting, although one or two shots were exceptionally good. The defence on both sides was the best part of the teams the forwards being somewhat uneven. The Everton wingmen were very good at times, but it was by fits and starts, and there was very little of that combination throughout the whole quintette which is so effective. Of the Liverpool front rank the same may be said. The left wing over shadowed the rest, and Cox was perhaps the best forwards on the field. Jack Taylor had Hewitt well under control, and Robinson and Goddard were not a perfect wing. Raybould was painfully slow at times. Of the two sets of halves, the Blues were the better trio by reason of their more accurate serving of the forwards, and at back the Balmers would be preferred, although both Dunlop and Saul did uncommonly well. Both goalkeepers showed themselves classmen. While a draw leaves little to complain of –although it seriously jeopardises any chance of the championship Everton might have had –it was the winning of easy chances that cost Liverpool a point.


Yesterday's attendance constitutes a record for the ground. It is estimated that there were 52,000 people present and the gate receipts amounted to £1,460.



March 30, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 30)

This match which was of special importance to Everton in their struggle for championship, was played at Southport yesterday. The weather was splendid, and there was a good gate. Southport won the toss, and set the Blues to face the sun. Play was fast and even throughout the first half, and from a nicely worked breakaway by Everton, Roused scored after twenty minutes. Central tried hard to draw level, and obtained two fruitless corners in succession. Another following shortly afterwards Bullivant was hurt, and left the field, his place in goal being taken by McWhan. Central then reverted to the one-back game, which somewhat disorganised the play. Half-time Southport Central nil, Everton 1.

In the second half, Bullivant re-appeared, and Alexander equalised, after about a quarter of an hour's play. The referee cautioned two of the Blues after this for rough play. Central made another effort, and Aaron scored a second goal, amid great enthusiasm. Result Central 2 Everton 1






















March 1907