Everton Independent Research Data



March 1, 1909, The Liverpool Courier.



The Villa surprised even their own followers on Saturday by a decisive 3-1 victory over Everton. There was a time –not so long ago, either –when such a result would have been regarded as nothing out of the common. But this season the Aston Villa side seemed to have gone all to piece. Prior to their meeting with Everton they could only boast of three League success at home. Just fancy such a record in respect of the most contently successful club in the history of the league. Opinion in Birmingham appeared to be all in favour of Everton, for had not the Villa “rested” the famous leftwing, and Hall and introduced recruits from the ranks of their second division neighbours. Be that as it may, the rearranged Villa brigade rose to the occasion. It may be regarded as a compliment to the prowess of a side like Everton, at the same time at was not at all pheasant that they should reserve their best home display of the season, according to Birmingham critics, for the Goodison Park contingent. The fact is that on the day's play were well beaten, especially in the opening half.


But for hard, luck in the first few minutes of the game three might have been a different tale to tell. The Villa started off in lively fashion and then from a long punt down the field, Freeman fastened on the ball about the half-way line, but Logan for speed, and getting the better of Kearne, crashed the ball against the bar, with George helpless. Sharp met the rebound, but by this time the Villa goal was protected, and the chance of opening the game had departed. After this the game practically resolved itself into a bombardment of Scott's charge. On a ground hard underneath and slippery on top, the backs made not a few mistakes and it was unfortunate for Everton that Scott who performed valor deeds, was on his best behaviour. After half an hour Hampton scored during a scrimmage following a corner, but no sooner had this success been recorded than Everton carried the ball down, and Freeman had it planted in the corner of the net far out of the reach of George. What hope Everton supporters might have possessed were soon dispelled for up to the interval the Villa penned the Blues in their own half, Hampton and Walters adding goals. There had this been four goals registered in less than fifteen minutes. The second portion was neither as exciting nor so one-sided as the earlier 45 miutes. Everton had more of the play, but although Young and White changed places there was not sufficient life in their attack to suggest that the Villa would be deprived of victory. Once, when tested by Sharp, the Villa custodian seemed to draw the fall over the line. The referee did not think so. Three goals to two would have looked better at the same time no one could begrudge the Villa their success by the margin recorded.


While the Villa representatives failed to exhibit the style of play, which for so long has been associated with the club, there was one thing about them which distinguished team from their opponents, and that was the dash and vim, which they imparted to their work. There was no half heartedness, though at times rather unnecessary vigour about their work, and the way they went for goal should have been a lesson to the opposing quintette, who with the exceptions already mentioned were never in the picture during the opening half. True some improvement was shown later, but the mischief had been done. The right wing was below its standard, and it is evident that something will have to be done with the left wing. White does not seen to possess the speed and dash requiste for an outside man, and one can hardly imagine Young in the position. The two men on the side who really played up to their reputations were Scott and Taylor. The backs and both Harris and Adamson improved in the second half, though taken as a whole the team proved fairly easy victims. For the Villa Byre and Walters constituted a clever wing. The defence, however, did not suggest that it would be anything great against energetic forwards. Teams : - Aston Villa: - George, goal, Kearns, and Miles, backs, Tranter, J. Logan, and Cornan, half-backs, Wallace, Reeves, Hampton, Walters, and Kyre, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and McConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Adamson, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young, and White, forwards. Referee J. Skyes.



March 1, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 27)

Everton reserves continue in their all conquering mood, and scored their fourth successive win by defeating Rossendale United on Saturday at Goodison Park by two goals to none. At the outside the home side demonstrated their superiority, and a sustained attack was made upon the visitors goal. For some time the United defenders managed to avert disaster until Jones seized upon a centre from Mountford and registered the first point. The second goal was also credited to Jones, who throughout shot with accuracy and precision. The feature of the game was the remarkable custodianship of Macgregor, who time after time save the downfall of his goal after his backs were hopelessly beaten. Borthwick played his best game of the season, and although some of the methods of tackling were rather unorthodox they were, nevertheless successful. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Borthwick, and Clifford, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Jones, Keary, and Mountford forwards.



March 6, 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo


There was desolation at Goodison Park this afternoon, for King Winter regional supreme, and as the hour for starting approached the conditions became worse. In the shadow of the vast stands two or three hundred enthusiasts could be picked out, who could not sleep without their Saturday dose of football. It was decided to play half an hour each way, and when the teams appeared Crews took up the outside left position in place of Barlow, who was reported to have a damaged knee. The clubs were represented as follows: - Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer and Clifford, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp Coleman, Freeman, Young, and Crews, forwards. Northern Nomads: - J.W.Swann, goal, Jess Jones, and C. Armstrong, backs, R. Haydon, F.W. Chapman, and J. Healey, half-backs J.G.Yuill, J. Rastall, E.Mansfield, T.C.Porters, and G.O.Salt, forwards. Referee T.E.Hargreaves. From the commencement of the game it was apparent that the proceedings were going to be little more than farcical, at the state of the ground did not allow of a safe footing for the players, who would have been better equipped for the game had they been wearing showshoes. However, they did as best they could under great difficulties, and occasionally caused great amusement to the few spectators by the involuntary antics. After sundry foundering the Blues were a penalty kick , off Jess Jones, and Scott advanced from the other end to try his prentice hand at scoring a goal from the line. Great laughter greeted his effort, which was not so bad after all, as Swann appeared to tip it over the crossbar, this had an unlucky ending from a Nomad point of view. Salt got down very nicely, and centred, Rastall capturing the leather and beating Scott, but offside beat the shooter. Freeman had what might be called a day off, for he got the ball well up the field from Young and modern long run. This was by no means thrilling, for he met with no serious opposition from either half-backs, and backs, and consequently he had nothing else to do but run right through and score very comfortable. The Blues at first did not allow their visitors much latitude, and if the Stripes wanted to have a turn with the leather they had to struggle for it. Although Everton were inclined to play it off the visitors a bit. Nomads showed no inclination to be played with; in fact they should have scored first from a very smart breakaway, but Rastall was too keen in putting in and got offside. It was certainly hard lines for Scott was beaten right enough. The other ex-Gunner soon gave the Nomads cause to think of what might not have been had it not been on account of slackness on the part of their defence, for this part alone, which enabled Coleman to go through and give Everton a further lead after the ball had hit the post. Next Swann effected a nice save from a hot shot by Freeman. Meanwhile the Nomads were by no means idle, and if their efforts did not end, successfully it was not owing to lack of endeavour. Here ended the first half. Everton 2, nomads nil, Coleman scored a third goal in the second portion, and Everton winning by three goals to nil.



March 8, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 28)

Owing to the wretched weather there were only four matches played to a finish. A start was not possible in the Liverpool v Bolton Wanderers match, but Everton managed to complete their fixture with Blackpool at the seaside town. It was not anticipated that Everton would have much difficulty in securing both points, and this proved to be the case, despite the fact that the weather conditions, and the state of the ground handicapped the visitors. Blackpool, however, put up a galliant fight and were only beaten by two goals to nil, Lacey in the first half, and Woods after the chance of ends, being the scorers. The Blues were, however, too good for the seasider's in every department, and Blackpool look like bidding good-bye to the First Division at the close of the season. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Borthwick, and Adamson half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Jones, Mountford, and Woods, forwards.



March 15 1909. The Liverpool Courier.



With Sunderland downiest after their grimious disappointment, and having nothing particularly at stake in the League, it was generally felt that Everton would prevail in the return League fixture at Roker Park last Saturday. For once in a way anticipations failed to materialise. Sunderland played with an earnestness, which deserved success, although the couple of goals which, fell to them did not accrue until the closing stages of the match. No one would begrudge the Wearsiders the spoils of victory which, on the whole were certainly theirs. Not only was the play interesting but it was commendably free from anything in the nature of bad fouls. Indeed, as Mr. J.T.Howcroft State to a “Courier” representative after the game, he never wished to referee in two cleaner games than those in which he has officiated this season between Everton and Sunderland at Goodison Park and Roker Park. This is as it should be. Unquestionably the players can do a lot to help the wielders of the whistle.


It is certainly worthy of note, -that whole-hearted player, John Taylor, reminded one of it-but Saturday's defeat was the first which the side that represented Everton on Saturday has sustained this season. With the amateur back again the team was identical with that which at Middlesbrough on the 18 th September participated in that remarkable unbeaten “away” record. However, Sunderland proved their masters. Nothing was scored in the first half of the game and this was not due to lack of opportunity. In the first minute Sunderland should have been a goal to the good, for owing to MaConnachie slipping, Mordue was presented with an open goal. Instead of tapping the ball past Scott he shot at random high over the bar. Many good attempts were forthcoming from the forwards on both sides, but some was more praiseworthy than a first effort on the part of Sharp, who crashed the ball against the upright, with at he redoubtable Roose absolutely beaten. Everton held their own in the opening half, but subsequently it must be admitted that they had to play second fiddle to their opponents. For a period of fully ten minutes Scott was peppered with shots from all quarters, and right worthily did he guard the breach. Freeman once had the ball in the net, only to find the point disallowed for interference with the goalkeeper, and when everyone though that a goalless draw would be the issue Brown, receiving from Thomson placed the ball just inside the upright with Scott unsighted. Then just on time Brown added another, and Everton discomfiture was complete.


That there were weak spots in the Everton side cannot be gainsaid. Young especially in the second half was feeble in the extreme. It was one of the popular “off” days. Then MaConnachie for a player of his resource and ability was undoubtedly much off colour. The consequence was that Makepeace had an unenviable task in dealing with Sunderland's smart right wing. MaConnachie started badly, and he never seemed to get over that initial mistake, which ought to have lead to a goal. With Young below form, it was natural that the visiting right wing stood on prominently. Freeman was ever ready to take advantage of an opening, and both Sharp and Coleman apart from clever passing did not fail to trouble Roose. Both Harris and Balmer performed creditably, and Scott although beaten twice, kept a wonderfully good goal. Without being great, the Sunderland side well balanced but no one contributed more to their success, than did Thomson, the Scottish International centre-half. Teams: - Sunderland: - Roose goal, Forester, and Milton, backs, Tait, Thomson (Captain), and Jarvie, half-backs, Mordue, Low, Brown, Holley, and Bridgetts, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and McConnachie, backs Harris Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman Freeman Young, and Barlow, forwards. Referee J.T.Howcroft.



March 15, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 29)

By defeating Accrington Stanley at Goodison Park on Saturday, by 5 goals to 1. Everton further strengthened their position in the Lancashire Combination and recorded their sixth successive victory. It was not until the second half of the game that the home side showed their superiority, as before that period Accrington played a fine game, and were rather unlucky to be a goal behind at half-time. Hewitt the visitors goalkeeper, was in fine form, and along with the backs and halves proved equal an any attack made by the Everton forwards. However, after the interval Everton had matters much their own way. Berry having hardly anything to do, thanks to the fine defensive play of Stevenson and Meunier. Jones the Everton pivot, helped himself to four of the five goals registered (one from a penalty) and now credited himself with 31 goals in the Combination fixtures this season. Carter the Accrington left back put through his own goal, but made amends later by notching the visitors only point from a penalty kick. Everton: - Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Borthwick, and Adamson half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Jones, Mountford, and Dawson, forwards. Accrington Stanley: - Hewitt, goal, Hampden, and Carter, backs, Rigby, Bradshaw, and Briggs, half-backs, Whittaker, Dempsey, Williams, Baldwin, and Bradley, forwards.



March 15, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Freeman scored for England against Wales at the Forest ground, England winning by two goals to nil. Scott, Lacey and Harris, played for Ireland against Scotland, losing by four goals to nil at Ibrox in front of 20,000 spectators.


EVERTON 3 CHELSEA 2 (Game 654)

March 20, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.




Interest to a large extent has departed from the First League tournament, but so long as such football is served up, as was the case on Saturday between Everton and Chelsea at Goodison Park there will always be something to attract spectators. Unquestionably it was one of the brightest and most enjoyable games seen at the Everton headquarters this season. It was clean, too throughout and the only regrettable feature was in injury to Makepeace, which caused him to leave the field about 20 minutes before the finish. Quite by accident Makepeace in falling injured his thumb, and left the field in evident pain. In view of his absence Everton did remarkably well to finish with a victory by three goals to two over opponents who undoubtedly gave a clever exposition of the Association code.


The match will long be remembered on account of it having been the medium of Freeman creating a record in the history of First League football. Hitherto Raybould in palmy days with Liverpool, made his name famous by scoring 31 goals during a season . On Saturday Freeman went one better. Not only did he accomplish the “hat-trick” for the fourth time since September, but he brought his aggregate to 33. His first success came early in the game. MaConnachie, who gave one of his finest exhibitions, placed the ball well forward. White helped it on, and Freeman supplied the finishing touch from long range. Chelsea by beautiful combined work fought every inch of the ground, but their equalising goal was the outcome of a somewhat doubtful Penalty kick, doubtful as to whether the offence was committed within the penalty area –given against Balmer for a foul on Windridge. Hilsdon it was who took the penalty, and gave no chance to Berry, who was deputising for Scott. In a few moments Freeman after grand work by Sharp and Coleman gave his side the lead, only a matters to be again equalised by Windridges, whose shot might have been saved by a custodian of the class of Scott. In the second half there was little indeed to choose between the sides, and it was a compliment to the dexterily of Chelsea's left wing. Fairgrey and Windridge that Makepeace changed places with Rafferty. As will be gathered, the only goal fell to Freeman, who from Coleman's pass hooked the ball into the net in grand style.


While Freeman was responsible for the whole of the scoring, he was admirably supported, the only weak spot in the line being Barlow, who quite failed to come up to the standard of his colleagues. Sharp and Coleman constituted a sparkling wing, and White was throughout clever and resourceful. Of the half-backs Taylor stood out prominent, for it was mainly due to his untiring efforts that Hilsdon was rendered comparatively ineffective. Rafferty was quite unable to deal with such a capable wing as Fairgrey and Windridge, and it was a good move on the part of Sharp to bring Makepeace to the other side of the field. Both MaConnachie and Balmer were in fine fettle, the former playing a game, which was infinitely superior to that which, the displayed the previous week against Sunderland. Berry improved upon his initial appearance with the League team a few weeks ago at Bury, and showed every sign of being a capable substitute for the Irish international custodian. Teams: - Everton: - Berry, goal R. Balmer, and McConnachie, backs, Rafferty, Taylor and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman White, and Barlow, forwards. Chelsea: - Whitley, goal, Walton, and Cameron, backs, Henderson, Warren, and Birnie, half-backs, Brown, Bridgeman Hilsdon, Windridge, and Fairgrey, forwards. Referee F. Heath.



March 22 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 30)

Everton credited themselves with their seventh successive victory on Saturday, when they defeated Darwen by four goals to nil. So for this year Everton have taken part in 12 games and have dropped only four points, while the goals average for these matches stands at 40 goals against 10. This is the kind of form that secures championship honours, and Everton may be relied upon by “get there” now. At Darwen on Saturday the team played with refreshing energy, and though there was not a great deal between the sides in the first half, the blues showed their superiority afterwards. Young scored the only goal of the first half, while Jones, Mountford and Crews did the needful after the change of ends. Everton: - Mercer, goal, Strettell, and Meunier backs, Adamson, Borthwick, and Clifford, half-backs Buck, Jones, Young, Mountford, and Crews, forwards.



March 22 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Ireland have cut a sorry figure in this season's international. England at Bradford beat them, by Scotland at Glasgow, and on Saturday at Belfast Wales won by three goals to two. Everton contributed their usual share to Ireland Scott, Harris and Lacey playing.



March 25 1909. The Liverpool Courier

In the ordinary course of events, Nottingham Forest should have played the return League fixture with Everton at Goodison road on the 6 th March. On that day the Foresters were engaged in an English Cup tie, and an arrangement was come to whereby the Nottingham team visited Liverpool yesterday. It was unfortunate for them from the point of view of making up the “average gate” and also for intending spectators that the weather should have been so entirely unpropitious. Throughout the game, rain poured down with pitiless severity, the consequence being that the pitch for the most part became something like a quagmire, and the scientific football, as it is known was rendered quite out of the question. The wonder was that 3,000 spectators braved the rainstorm. The match ended in a draw of three goals each. On the run of the proceedings throughout the full ninety minutes this was perhaps a fair result. Yet the game had interesting variations, the main points being that considering the wretched conditions it was wonderfully well contested. At the outset Everton looked like overwhelming the opponents, both Sharp and Harris troubling Linacre not a little. Then the Foresters with long passing on the part of halves and forwards and big kicking by defenders forced the pace in great style. From a centre by Spouncer there was a jumble in cut of Scott, and the ball was in the net apparently from Morrison, after cannoning off an Everton defender. A second goal soon fell to the vigorous Foresters, who seemed to revel in the mud, and other chances of defeating Scott were allowed to pass, chiefly owing to the state of the ground, and in a leaser degree to the agility of the custodian. Coleman revived Everton hopes, when by a great individual effort, he got between the backs, drew Linacre out of his goal, and had the ball in the net, during which time goalkeeper and scorer had fallen together in the mud. Nottingham Forest led by two goals to one at the interval. The second half started in a manner, which suggested that Everton really meant business. Right away Linacre effected a brilliant clearance from white, and when the custodian tipped a shot of Freeman's against the crossbar it was a very narrow escape for the Forest. However, Forest were enabled to increase their lead by means of a penalty kick taken by West. It was West who, according to the referee, was unfairly brought down within the penalty area by McConnachie. The referee, of course, was on the spot, but there were not a few spectators who had another opinion as to the justice of the decision. However, it was perhaps this point which brought out Everton's best. Freeman after Linacre had saved, hooked the ball over the goalkeeper ‘s head into the net in beautiful fashion, and later Coleman from Taylor's pass equalised the score with a magnificent shot, which Linacre made a galliant attempt to save. Nothing more was scored and the final was Everton 3 goals Nottingham Forest 3 goals. Considering the conditions, the play on both sides was distinctly a tribute to the staying powers of both teams. Although Freeman unhanced his record by a brilliant goal, Coleman was probably the pick of the Everton front line, although White and Mountford formed a really capable wing. Taylor again proved what a marvel he is, and Adamson deputised for Makepeace with excellent judgement. Both MaConnachie and Balmer made mistakes at times –who could expect otherwise? But as a whole the defence was good. The Nottingham eleven were to be commended for the readiness with which they adopted themselves to circumstances, and even the drenched spectators thanked both them, and their opponents for an attractive exhibition under untoward circumstances. The teams were: - Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Adamson half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Mountford forwards. Nottingham Forest: - Linacre, goal, Dudley, and Gibson, backs, Hughes Wolfe, and Armstrong, half-backs, Hooper, Morrison, West, Morris, and Spouncer, forwards. Referee Mr. H. S. Bamlett.


Northampton Mercury-Friday 26 March 1909

The devotional part of the meeting was led by Mr. Hodge, of the London Missionary Society, and an old Liverpool and Everton player.


March 26, 1908. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 31)

This rearranged fixture was contested at Goodison –park last evening, before about 3,000 spectators. Everton scored their eight successive victory by beating the United Reserves by one goal to nil. From the commencement the home team had the major portion of the attack, but found the defence strong. Wilcox diverting a hot shot from Young over the bar, and just afterwards Woods netted from an offside position. Berry saved grandly from Whiteside and Payne respectively, and just on the interval Buck brought Wilcox to his knees with a stinging shot. On changing ends Manchester opened strongly, but could not get through Everton's defence, and upon the homesters getting well away. Young struck the crossbar. After midfield play, Buck put past Wilson. The game up to the finish was all in Everton's favour but there was no further score. The game was of a rather uninteresting character, the forwards display of both sides being poor. Jones for once being off colour. It being a defenders day, it would be inopportune to single any of the players for special mention. Wilcox no doubt ably dealt with many good shots, whilst Berry was well covered by Stevenson and Meunier. Teams: - Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Borthwick, and Clifford half-backs Buck, Lacey, Jones Young and Woods, forwards. Manchester United: - Wilcox, goal, Donnelly, and Hulme, backs, Whiteside Currie and Thomson, half-backs Payne, Bannister, McGullaway, Christie, and Ford, forwards.


March 27, 1909. Nottingham Evening Post

In obedience to a summons, R.F. Turner and several Leicester Fosse officials attended a special meeting of the F.A. at Sheffield today prior to the semi-final tie between United of Newcastle and Manchester, in regard to a complaint laid against Turner by Everton. It will be remembered that Everton entered into negotiations with the Fosse for the transfer of Turner, and all prelinaries had been satisfactorily completed when, it is alleged Turner demanded more than the £10 allowed for signing a professional form. Everton thereupon laid the facts before the F.A. Evidence was taken, and Turner, accompanied by the officials of his club, was able to return to Leicester in time to take his place in the Fosse team against Aston Villa. No official statement was forthcoming at the end of the meeting, and the only information vouch-safed to the Leicester club was that the decision of the F.A. would be forwarded to them in due course.



March 29, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.


In their return League fixture at Ewood Park on Saturday neither Everton nor Blackburn Rovers were able to score. This was in marked contrast to their game earlier in the season at Goodison road. On that occasion, when Everton had credited themselves with four goals they looked like winning easily, but the Rovers stuck to their work in gallant style and actually shared the points. Then there was any amount of dash on the part of the forwards on Saturday the front line of both teams did not deserve a goal, so weak for the most part were they as regarded finishing efforts. Under these circumstances, with the defence prevailing over the attack, one can understand that the game was uninteresting suggestive, in fact, of end of the season football.


The character of the contest was such as to call for nothing in the nature of detailed description. There was pretty football at times, but there was an almost entire absence of the earnestness, which one expects to be associated with a game in which League points are at stake. The Rovers certainly enjoyed the bulk of the pressure during the first half, though, as already suggested their forwards only occasionally caused Scott any anxiety. The shooting was feeble indeed and Balmer and MaCoonachie without being brilliant, were equal to all the calls upon them. Perhaps their best effort came from White, who following a free kick against Chapman for his too close attention to Freeman, put in a grand oblique shoot which Ashcroft as grandly saved. In the second half there was little if any improvement, and few were disappointed when a tame game ended with honours easy.


Everton had Sharp and Barlow away injured, and it cannot be said that their deputies, Jones and Mountford distinguished themselves. They were earnest enough, but somehow or other they seemed unable to reproduce their form with the reserves. White was the must prominent of the line Freeman being too closely shadowed by Chapman to have much chance of adding to his record. The defence was sound, without being exceptionally clever, and not one of the players gave a finer exhibition than Jack Taylor, who is a veritable marvel. The Rovers like Everton, were best represented by their defence, the forwards failing time after time to turn openings to account. Cowell was the better back, and Chapman was to be commended from the Rovers point of view for the watchful eye he kept on Freeman's movements. Teams: - Blackburn Rovers: - Ashcroft goal, Cowell, and Swife, backs, Ferguson, Chapman, and Bradshaw, half-backs, Garbutt, Latheron, B Crompton, Aitkenhead, and Anthony, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor (Captain), and Adamson, half-backs Jones Coleman, Freeman, White, and Moutford, forwards. Referee H. Politt.



March 29, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 32)

After scoring eight consective wins Everton only managed to draw with Blackburn Rovers Reserves at Goodison Park. No doubt the homesters felt the loss of Jones and Mountford for the deputies were not so trustful or clever. The first half proved pointless, and although the Blues were attacking almost continually they could not penetrate the Rovers rearguard. Murray the custodian being the great stumbling block, for he saved shots from all sorts of angles in a very smart fashion. Resuming after the interval Everton took the lead within a minute's play, for Young hooked the ball into the net from a corner. The equaliser came from the foot of Woodward, who completely deceived Berry with a long dropping shot, and this finished the scoring. The homesters were best represented by Borthwick. Meunier and Stevenson, while of the visitors Wombwell, Murray and Pearson most filled the eye. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Borthwick, and Clifford half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Young, Crews, and Woods, forwards.



March 29, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

On Saturday, at Sheffield R.F. Turner and several Leicester Fosse officials attended a meeting of the Football Association commission in regard to the complaint of Everton Football Club against Turner, had negotiated with Leicester Fose for the transfer of Turner, and preliminaries had been completed when Turner, it was alleged demanded more than the legal £10, for signing. Everton laid their case before the Football Association evidence but Turner was able to return to Leicester in time to play against Aston Villa. No official announcement of the decision was given out at the end of the meeting.





March 1909