Everton Independent Research Data


Dundee Courier - Saturday 01 November 1913
The Liverpool public were astounded to learn yesterday that Tom Brow ell, the Everton centre, has been transferred to Manchester j City for a sum exceeding £1000. Browell joined Everton on January 19, 1911, and proved as successful as when he played with Hull City. Browell, who celebrated his 21et birthday a week ago, learnt his football at Walbottle, near Newcastle. .

Monday 3 November 1913 Yorkshire Post
Bradford City Reserves won comfortably the expense of Everton Reserves at Valley Parade. Bradford, had several their former first team stars in their front line, but in that department the visitors never got into effective co-operation, and they showed badly when near the Paraders' goal, shoot ing very weakly. The home side, whilst not good standard, had the better the exchanges. and Grimshaw, at outside right, was especially effective, his runs down the right wing being brilliant, and too much for opposing half back and back. In the first few minutes the game Grimshaw ran through the defence. And scored two goals. Everton retaliated by getting a goal through Beare, but there was more- than a suspicion of off side about the point. After the interval Chester put City further ahead from a penalty, and O'Rourke added a fourth, but before the end came a penalty awarded to Everton resulted in Page reducing side's deficit. Hargreaves was a clever centre for City, and Potts a capital back. Result Bradford City Reserves 4 goals, Everton Reserves 2.

November 3, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Bradford City generally prove a tough proposition at Goodison park, and they fairly made things hum on Saturday. A good deal has been said this season about the City's sound defence, and it certainly earned the highest praise against Everton. It provided a rare test for the Blues re-arranged forward line and there can be no question that Everton's attack was found wanting during the greater part of the game. It was a dour struggle all through, and the desperate efforts made by Everton to score in the closing stages, culminating in the climax of the long delayed equalising goal two minutes off time, raised the crowd to a high pitch of excitement. Bradshaw gave a well-balanced display. In the first half their forwards were speedy and resourceful, and the Everton halves and backs had all their work cut out to prevent them from scoring. Still, the honours lay with the backs on either side, and neither of the custodians had many dangerous shots to dispose of. The Everton forwards worked hard, but without making much impression on the opposing defence. Their weakness lay in the fact that their methods were cramped. There was not enough freedom in swinging the ball about, and they got in each other's way at crucial moments, and as a consequence proved-easy prey to the Bradford backs. With the exception of a brief period in the second half there was not that deadly precision in shooting as in the Derby County match, many well-meant efforts going wide of the target. The best chance for scoring in the first half fell to Storey, the Bradford centre-forward, who had the ball placed to him when right in front of goal only to allow it to slip by. The pace increased considerably in the second half and about mid-way Bradford was rewarded with a goal.

What was no doubt intended by Bookman as a centre turned out to be a deceptive shot, the ball curling inwards. Hodge saw the danger, but was just too late, the ball striking the inside of the post and bounding into the net. This disaster served to put the Everton forwards on their mettle, and a great change now came over the struggle. There was now no holding the Blues front line. They flung themselves at their opponents with great pertinacity. They were driven back, only to come again with redoubled energy. Nuttall in particular made desperate efforts to get through, and nothing save the fine goal. Keeping of Ewart now saved the visitors from disaster. But luck seemed dead against the home forwards. On one occasion Ewart only partially cleared a long drive from Johnson, and the keeper was exceedingly lucky to save the rebound shot from Nuttall. They were denied one certain goal by the referee, for, although Ewart did stop the terrific drive from Page, he clearly allowed the ball to go over the line before he cleared on a second attempt. Neither Mr. Campbell nor the linesmen he consulted were near enough to the goal to judge, but the decision of a corner kick was unquestionably a wrong one. Happily the Blues fought pluckily to the end, and two minutes from the end they were awarded, Harrison snapping up a centre from Houston and steering the ball into the net. The players were deservedly cheered when the end came, for each side had played determined and keen football. If only the Everton forwards had shown the same dash and freedom in the earlier stages as towards the end Bradford would probably have been beaten, but after all there was surely a real weak point in either team. Nuttall and Johnson were perhaps not as resourceful as in the Derby County match, and Page found Torrance a tremendous obstacle. Bond was well looked after by Makepeace and Macconnachie. Bradford were best served by their left wing, Bookman and Fox being most effective in their passing. There was nothing to choose between the teams at half-back, all three of the Everton halves being in top form, and Torrance was a tower of strength at centre half for the visitors. The back play of Boocock and Campbell, sound as it was, was not one whit better than that of Macconnachie and Thompson for the homesters. Hodge on his first appearance with the Everton League team intercepted many dangerous centres, but if he has a fault it is in being too ready to rush out of goal. On Saturday he had not as much work to do as Ewart, who undoubtedly was the saviour of his side in the closing stages . Everton: - Hodge, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Wareing, Makepeace, half-backs, Houston, Nuttall, T. Page, Johnston, and Harrison, forwards. Bradford City: - Ewart, goal, Campbell, and Boocock backs Robinson (Captain), Torrance and Gane, half-backs, Bond, Logan, Storer, Fox, and Bookman, forwards. Referee T.P. Campbell.

November 3, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
After a run of success, Everton although strongly represented were beaten by four goals to two at Bradford. Grimshaw (2), O'Rourke, and Chaser were the scorers for the Yorkshire team, and Beare and Page (from a penalty kick) responded for the Blues. Everton: - Turner Page, and Stalker backs, Challinor, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Bradshaw, Brannick, and Palmer forwards.

November 5 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
As the result of the injury he sustained in the match against Bradford City at Goodison Park last Saturday, Page, the centre forward, is unable to turn out this week-end in the game between Everton and Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park. The Everton directors at their meeting yesterday, decided to play Fleetwood in the centre, this being the only change from last Saturday.

Novemeber 10 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The Everton team had their most difficult task to date at Blackburn on Saturday, and though they could not reasonably be expected to successfully challenge a team of stars, few were prepared for so pronounced a defeat as that of six clear goals. And yet there is something to offer in extenuation for such a rout, as they ran their opponents to a couple of goals up to the last quarter of an hour when regrettable injury to Thompson caused his retirement, with a consequent redisposition of the side which proved fatal. Still there could be no denying the fact that the Evertonians were not in the same class as their doughty opponents, who were experts at every move and carried their plan of campaign to so successful an issue. There was not a loose screw, so to speak in the whole of the Rovers' machinery and the clever manner in which the players flanked each other and finished their work with first-time efforts was a revelation. There were fears Blackburn way that Bell and McGhie would not be sufficiently capable to fill the positions of Smith and the great Simpson, but it may at once be stated that these notable performers were not missed, and with a wholesome blending of methods from stem to stern it would not have been at all surprising had the Rovers laid a more solid foundation in the earlier stages of the game.

The Everton forwards were by no means out of the picture in the first half. They were dashing enough, but had not the cleverness to exact quarter from the Rovers' capable defenders, who were admirable covers for the keeper. They were however, not too well supported by the halves, and as a rule the Blues had to concentrate their efforts mainly in the direction of holding their opponents, and in this they succeeded to a point. But when once the play was opened out, and the Rovers swept down in their irresistible flanking movements, one or other was always on the spot at the finish, and there were few occasions on which their final touches went astray. Nothing finer in half back play can be imagined than that served up by the Rovers trio, for they were real providers and effective spoilers, and they worked with such precision with those in front that they simply dominated the game. The Everton halves were below standard, and the lack of experience in the front line was patent. As indicated, however, the last lines of defence did remarkably well to run through the greater portion of the game, with but a couple of goals against them and the play was that the enforced reconstitution of the side at the finish should have brought such dire disaster in its train. In this period neither Fleetwood nor Harris as right half and back respectively, were able to check the onrushes of the Rovers' left; hence it came about that defeat was rubbed in thick and fast. There were times during this trying period that the visitors managed to break away, and it was a case of vain efforts against fortune when Wareing had the ill luck to see a ball rebound from the angle of the upright to the keeper standing midway in his charge.

The play may be briefly summarised. It opened in spirited fashion without advantage to either side, but after nine minutes McGhie put in a fast ball, which Hodge failed to clear and Chapman applied the finishing touch. McGhie was also concerned in the second point, for Hodge had a difficult cross-shot to negotiate, and with Latheron well placed, the second goal was recorded. Meanwhile, the Everton forwards had worked strenuously to reduce the lead, but they were up against a trio of half-backs that never allowed quarter. In the second period the Rovers with few exceptions controlled the game and kept them out until fifteen minutes from the close, when Thompson who had previously been stunned in heading a ball, unfortunately came into collision with the foot of Chapman and sustained a slight concussion. Then came the debacle. Chapman converted a penalty kick against Grenyer, and Lathron scored twice within three minutes. McGhie almost on the call of time completing the tale of six goals. Apart from Everton's misfortune the Rovers were a great side. They had a redoubtable set of half backs who supplied the key to the situation, and under their initiative the capable line of forwards in fron tof them were afforded every opportunity of displaying their skill. The defence too, was impregnable and on Saturday's form it would be difficult to imagine their compeers. Everton are entitled to some commiseration, for the young forwards could not have had a most exacting task. Makepeace was sadly missed, and as indicated the trio were mainly concerned in efforts to break down the virile movements of the home forwards. Under the circumstances the rear guard did not perform at all badly. There need to be qualms Goodison way over, Saturday's very decisive reverse. The occasions will not be frequent during the season when Everton will be called upon to meet a side of such all-round skill and cleverness as the Rovers. Blackburn Roivers: - Robinson, goal, Crompton, and Cowell, backs, Walmsley, Bell, and Bradshaw, half-backs, McGhie, Shea, Chapman, Latheron, and Hodgkinson, forwards. Everton: - Hodge, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs Houston, Nuttall, Fleetwood, Johnston, and Harrison, forwards. Referee H.H. Taylor.

November 10, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
At Goodison Park, Blackburn Rovers played Everton to a draw of two goals each. From start to finish the game teemed with exciting incidents, and the issue hung in the balance until the final whistle. In the initial half the Blues were the more aggressive side, but Langtree, the Rovers' custodian, was a stumbling block to their advances and the teams crossed over with a clean sheet. After about twenty minutes' play in the second half Dominion (who was on Trail from L and Y Recs, Echo) scored for Everton, but shortly afterwards Goodwin put the Rovers on level terms. In the concluding stages each side was awarded a penalty, Bradshaw converting for Everton and Clennell doing likewise for the Rovers just on time. Teams: - Everton: - Bromilow, goal, Page, and Fulton backs, Bradshsaw, Kirby, and Simpson, half-backs Chedgzoy, Brannick Dominion, Wright, and Balmer, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Langtree, goal Johnson, and Suttie, backs, Dewhurst, Porteus, and Duckworth, half-backs, Byron, Orr, Goodwin, Clennell, and Anthony, forwards.

November 11 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
There were 6,000 spectators at Burslem yesterday, Where the Port Vale entertained Everton Reserves. The Blues were first to get in front Brannick doing the trick after eight minutes' play. Twenty-two minutes later Fleetwood added a second from Palmer's pass. Burslem rallied strongly and Billinge reduced the margin, while right on the interval Brough the scores level. The second portion was keenly contested, and with each side scoring again (Brannick for Everton), the game ended in a division of half a dozen goals and one point . Everton: - Mitchell, goal Stevenson and Fulton, backs, Bradshaw, Kirby, and Simpson half-backs, Beare, Wilson, Wright, Brannick, and Palmer, forwards.

November 12, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Sunderland are one of the highest attractions on Merseyside, and there is no reason to expect any departure from this rule on Saturday, when the Wearsiders, fresh from their triumph over Tottenham Hotspurs, are at Goodison park. The directors at their meeting, last night selected the team to do duly, in the absence through injury of Thompson, Stevenson will partner Macconnachie at back, while Page having recovered from his recent injury, will lead the line.

November 17, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Football enthusiasts will long remember the personnel of the present Sunderland team. Last season theu scored eight points at the expense of the two Mersey Clubs, and this year, after winning comfortably at Anfield, the League Champions, on Saturday, on Saturday triumphed at Goodison Park to the tune of five goals to one. Last week the Everton defence was badly look exceedingly small fry at Blackburn, but it cut up even worse against the Wearsiders. Hodge could hardly be blamed for most of the shots that beat him, but at the same time he did not impress one as really reliable. The weak spot was at right full back, Stevenson, after his long rest, not coming up to expectations. He showed an entire lack of confidence, and he crumpled up sadly against the speedy, and elusive tactics of the Sunderland forwards. This throw extra work on Macconnachie, and although he made many fine clearances there were times when he, too, was left standing. But, after all, there was no holding the Sunderland forwards, and although Mordue, after his long absence, was not seen at his best, the line as a whole was marvellously effective. At times they were simply irresistible, and they might easily have won by a much bigger margin. They were cleverly individually, and as a whole worked with a clock like precision that would have overcome the best of defence, their skilful play in the open being backed up by forceful methods in front of goal.

Everton were the first to score, but their success proved but a flash in the pan. The Everton forwards worked hard, but without making much impression on the Sunderland defence. Against halves and backs who towered above them in the matter of height and weight the Blues' lightweights were constantly out-manceurvred. Even when they did gain openings –and it was not often –their shots were either erractic of gave Butler no difficulty in saving. Their solitary goal came nine minutes after the start, a centre by Harrison giving Nuttall his chance for steering the ball into the net. Most of the Sunderland attacks came from the left wing, Martin and Holley combining rare speed with their effective combination. The equalising goal was scored after twenty-five minutes play, Holley placing in front for Best to drive in with tremendous force, Hodge getting his fists to the ball but failing to keep it from entering the net. The second goal also was led up to by clever work on the left, Martin, after a clever sprints, placing in front for Buchan to flash the ball into the net with his head. The first quarter of an hour in the second half saw the Everton forwards fighting hard to gain level, but all in vain. Then Sunderland put on a spirit, and incidentally another three goals. Two of them were the result of clever solo efforts right from the midway line. But first bored his way through from the centre, and after leaving Stevenson yards behind drew out the keeper, and then shot. Harris had scrambled into the vacant goal, and although he stopped the shot, he had to scoop the ball out with his hands, and even then it had gone over the line. The referee, however, awarded a penalty kick , from which, Mordue scored. The fourth was scored by Best, direct from a centre by Martin, while Buchan's fifth goal was really the pick of the lot. In the best style, Buchan worked the ball past at least half a dozen opponents, and the shot with deadly force and accuracy, Hodge having no chance whatever.

The Sunderland players were loudly cheered when the end came, and they had certainly demonstrated to the full their great prowess. The Wearsiders may have been slow in finding their form this season, but their recent displays have proved them to be once more in big form. One of the features of the game on Saturday was the performance of Best, who had been transferred from the outside right to take the place of Richardson in centre. The experiment realised the highest expectations Best proving admirably, suited to the position. He combined with his rare speed and great energy sound judgement in distributing the attack, and he was one of the most prominent, and effective of the Sunderland forwards. Mordue on his return to the outside right position, was somewhat subdued, but the others were seen in fine trim. Thompson played a great game at centre-half, and there was not a weak spot in the team. Everton were out-classed in all departments. Reference has already been made to the defence, and of the halves, Grenyer put in a lot of useful work. The forwards were clever at times and their combination effective, but they were not skilful enough to overcome Sunderland's sterling defence, their chief failing perhaps, being lack of penetrative skill. Teams: - Everton: - Hodge, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Houston, Nuttall, T. Page, Johnston, and Harrison, forwards. Sunderland: -Butt, goal, Hudson, and Ness, backs, Cuggy, Thompson, and Cringan, half-backs, Mordue, Buchan, Best, Holley, and Martin, forwards. Referee J.H.Pouten.

November 20, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The recent displays of the Everton team has been anything but satisfactory, and it is occasions no surprise that the directors, at the meeting last meeting last night, at the meeting last night, decided on several alterations for the game with the Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane. The general ruling is that the Blues non-success is not debatable so much to the attack as to the back division, and this view is reelected by the decision of the directors, who have chosen Mitchell to once more fill the breach, and Page to Partner Macconnachie vice Stevenson at back. In the intermiate line Fleetwood and Makepeace come in for Wareing (who was not himself last week), and Grenyer, who was injured against Sunderland.

Burnley Express - Saturday 22 November 1913
Holt beats ex everton footballer.
At Audenshaw Liberal Club, Wednesday W, Holt, Burnley, played an exhibition game with Tom Booth, ex- Evert on footballer. Booth, who was conceded start., was ’beaten by 800 to 643. Holt's best breaks were 52, 104, 69 , 64, 118. and 138, Booth's 37 , 55, 29, 21, 68 , 23, and 39. the close Holt gave exhibition of trick and fancy shots.

November 24, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Simply the Everton organisation has hit upon troublesome times. Fifteen goals registered against them in three successive engagements is something new in the annals of the club, and points conclusively to the direction in which the house should be set in order. Saturday's game at Tottenham was not of the runaway nature that the score would suggest, but there could be no blinking the fact it was in defence where theu suffered mostly by comparison. The Spurs had an all-round well, balanced side, and the weak links in the Everton chain were early diagnosed with damaging results. It was hoped that Page would have turned out a strong partner to Macconnachie, but it was too much to expect from a fledging to stenuous league football, that he would have been able to cope with experienced players who were, as it happened, on the top of their form. Then the skipper, who rarely shines when Makepeace is out of the team, often showed signs of distress, with the result that the Everton last line of defence was but a shadow of his former self. It may be advanced that the half-backs did not reach the standard usually identified with the club. Their play certainly did not soar above the average, still many moons have pasted since the defensive department has been dwarfed onto such comparative insignificance. Probably an experienced leader in the front, rank would have levelled matters up somewhat, yet the quintet generally made the most of what came their way and were shaping well towards overshadowing their opponents' lead of two goals, when a clumsy attempt at a clearance practically settled the issue.

The Tottenham half-backs had a capital conception of the requirements of their forwards, who were plied with passes that enabled them to display their skill to full advantage. Naturally enough, their efforts were mainly concentrated towards the right wing, where the diminutive Welden displayed footwork that was simply the subdominant of artistry. He was a veritable jiggler, adroit in evading a charge and all expert in placing across for others to put on the finishing touch. Grenyer at times was helpless, and even the best that Macconnachie could produce was of no avail to forestall the way little ‘spur, whose work, in addition to receiving general recognition, frequently brought out rounds of merriment by the unique methods he employed in accomplishing his object. There was little room was adverse criticism regarding Everton's forward play. They were the first to provide a thrill, and one of the finest movements in the game led up an attack that only failed to materialise by the merest shade. Had Houston drive a couple of inches lower probably another complexion might have been placed upon the game; but the ‘Sours, having once got the lead, simply bewildered the Everton defenders, who appeared to knee their heads. With the exception of the first quarter of an hour of play, the ‘Spurs generally dominated the proceedings, and having put on four goals to one in the first half the supporters of the club were looking forward to a repetition during the second period. However, the pace toned down considerably, with no further scoring, and though the issue was decisive enough matters might easily have been more disastrous.

Blues recorded the first point with a fast rising ball after play had been in progress fifteen minutes. Shortly afterwards Walden wormed his way through the defence, and bringing out Mitchell, shot, hard in. Page dropped back to the line, and handed the ball out, with the result that Middlemiss converted the penalty kick . Then Johnston finished up some capital work by Harrison, and reduced the lead, and for some time the Everton forwards were shaping well for an equalising point. Then came but a faulty clearance by Mitchell, and from this Bliss forged further ahead, while Bauchop put on a fourth goal.

Their were no reputation made so far as the Everton players were concerned, Mitchell had no chance with the shots that beat him; still he was not strong in his clearance, and a weak effort in the direction led up to the third goal. The halves were more concerned in endeavouing to arrest the speedy home forwards, and rarely linked up with their confreres in front. As a consequence, the van could not do themselves justice, still they made the most of what came their way. The home forwards were as capable a trio, home halves were capable a trio in defence and attack, and small wonder was it that the Blues were so frequently over-run. At full back the Londoners were well represented, and the team all round played a smart dashing game. Teams: - Tottenham Hotspur: -King, goal, Webster, and Cartwright, backs, Weir, Stell, and Grimstell, half-backs, Walden, Fleming, Bauchop, Bliss, and Middlemiss, forwards. Everton: - Mitchell, goal, J. Page, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs, Houston, Nuttall, T. Page, Johnston, and Harrison, forwards. Referee E.H.Spier.

November 24, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Burslem Port Vale, the conquerors of South Liverpool, scored a rather fluky win over Everton by three goals to two. With two clear goals up and a missed penalty kick by Bradshaw, when the score was two all. Everton appeared to have the game well in hand, and played rather carelessly with the result that the visitors came with a rush in the last half hour and scored three times. The Blues had the best of the exchanges in the initial half, Wilson converting a fine centre from Beare. Shortly after the interval Beare crowned a fine individual effort with an equally fine goal, but after this the homesters took things ease, while Burslem tried harder than ever, and Young scored three successive goals. Teams: - Everton: - Bromilow, goal, Stevenson, and Fulton, backs, Bradshaw, Kirby, and Simpson, half-backs, Beare, Wilson, Wright, Brannick, and Balmer, forwards. Port Vale: - Batcup, goal, Jones, and Cameron, backs, Suart, Pearson, and Shelton, half-backs, Yule, Weir, Young, Billing and Smith forwards.

November 24 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The visit of Mr. Cuff, the Everton secretary, to Ibrox Park on Saturday has been associated with the name of Robert Parker, the reserve centre-forward of Glasgow Rangers, for, whom, it is stated Mr. Cuff made an offer. The Rangers directors met late on Saturday, it is understood, to consider the matter, and there is every likelihood that Parker will come to Goodison Park. Should this be so Everton will have succeeded where more than one club has failed, for several previous offers for Parker have met with refusals from the Rangers directorate.

November 26 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Although Everton have not succeeded in the quest of Parker, the smart reserve centre forward of Glasgow Rangers, there is reason to believe that negotiations are not yet at end. However, there can be no doubt that the recent poor displays of the Blues in prously under the consideration of the directors, who are reported to be lasting their eyes in directions other than across the border. For instance it is stated that negiations are being made on Tyneside, regarding a most promising junior half-back, of Brannan, the clever outside, left of Widnes County. Brennan who was generally believed one of the best wings in the county combination, is well built for the job, and it is understood that Everton, have signed on amateur form.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Thursday 27 November 1913
Do "A Deal" in Noted Player.
J. Parker Goes Liverpool.
Fulton Comas to Ibrox. "
“Have attained my object," is the context of wire received from Mr Cuff, manager of Everton F.C., who has been in Glasgow this week endeavouring come to terms with the Rangers, and more particularly with Parker, the reserve centre forward that club. Rangers had given Everton permission to approach Parker, and although the player was not inclined to be a party to the negotiations, these objections have been overcome, and he now goes to Goodison Park, Liverpool. In Parker Everton have made great capture. Indeed, to many has for some lime been regarded as a superior centre to| Reid, but the latter's goal-scoring consistency has been such that the understudy got few opportunities of displaying his real worth in first class football. When, did appear he was invariably a success. The transfer price has not transpired, but is understood to be particularly high. Rangers would not part with a player of such ability without getting some high recompense. They are getting a player return—one who only recently went to England. Foulton, the clever back of Greenock Morton. He returns to Ibrox immediately, and will very likely play on Saturday. It may "be mentioned that Parker has been five seasons with Rangers, the Light Blues being his first and only senior club since he quitted Ashfield.

November 27, 1913. Evening Telegraph
Do A Deal” In Noted Player
Parker Goes To Liverpool
Fulton Comes To Ibrox
“Have attained my object,” is the context of a wire received from Mr. Cuff, manager of Everton F.C,. who has been in Glasgow this week endeavoring to come to terms with the Rangers, and more particularly with Parker, the reserve centre forward of that Club Rangers had given Everton permission to approach Parker, and although the player was not inclined to be a party to the negotiations, these objections have been overcome, and he now goes to Goodison Park, Liverpool. In Parker Everton have made a great capture. Indeed, to many he has for some time been regarded as a superior centre to Reid, but the latter's goal-scoring consistency has been such that the understudy got few opportunities of displaying his real worth in first class football. When he did appear he was invariably a success. The transfer price has not transpired, but it is understood to be particularly high. Rangers would not part with a player of such ability without getting some high recompense. They are getting a player in return –one who only recently went to England –Fulton, the clever back of Greennock Morton. He returns to Ibrox immediately, and will very likely play on Saturday. It may be mentioned that parker has been five seasons with Rangers, the Light Blues being his first and only senior club since he quitted Ashfield.

November 28, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
At last Everton have succeeded have succeeded in their quest for Parker, the clever centre-forward of Glasgow Rangers. It was stated from various quarters in the early part of the week that negotiation were practically at an end; but the hint which appeared in this column on Wednesday to the contrary was yesterday confirmed by the news that the much-sought player had signed for the Blues. The transfer fee is not stated, but the probability is that the sum may not be a great one, for the Rangers have secured in part exchange Fulton, the Everton Reserves full back. There will be many regrets at the decision of the latter player to recross the border, for since coming to Goodison Park, from Greenock Morton at the back end of last season, he has had the reputation of being one of the best of the reserve backs on the books of the club. Through Parker, was only a reserve player for Glasgow Rangers he had few superiors in Scotland, and the brilliance of Reid alone kept him out of the first team. He as a splendid shot, and his record certainly appears to confirm this, seeing that already this season he has three “hat-tricks” to his credit. Last season Parker played in 14 League matches for the Rangers, and found the net in almost every one of them. He is 22 years of age, 5ft 8in heights, and weights 11 and half-stone.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Saturday 29 November 1913
J. Brennan. an amateur, who Ffor two seasons has played outside left for Widnes County, has been signed on by Everton and will play against Stockport County. he is regarded as the cleverest winger in ther Liverpool County Combination.

Dundee Courier - Saturday 29 November 1913
MOUNTFORD, OF BURNLEY, is transferred,
Negotiations have been completed for the transfer to Third Lanark of Mountford, a left-wing forward of Burnley. This player joined the Turf Moor club with Freeman, from Everton at a high figure, and though he has not been nearly so successful as his old colleague, he has, on the comparatively few occasions he has appeared in the League team, proved a useful man on the left wing. Last season he appeared in the first team fourteen times, though he had only one goal to his credit. A native of Hanley, he stands 5ft 7 ins, in height, and weighs 11st 9lbs. Mountford will most certainly be included in the Third Lanark team against Queen's Park at Hampden. A unique incident will be the fact that two Englishmen will be in this game make their first appearance in Scottish football, Gordon Hoare, for Queen's Park, being of course, the other debutant.


November 1913