Everton Independent Research Data


October 1 st 1905. The Liverpool Courier
The first of the season's League encounters between our two great Association teams has come and gone. Everton were the favourites of fortune, and whatever may be argued about luck of hard lines the fact, remains that the honours fell to the Blues by four goals to two. For such an absorbingly interesting game more favourable weather could not have been desired, for while there was little advantage to be gained by winning the toss, the spectators were enabled to view the proceedings in comfort considering the tremendous crowd of enthusiasts. Taking about crowds, how busy it is to indulge in excessive estimates. If the Everton enclosure will accommodate 55,000 spectators, and may well be forgiven for having assessed the crowd at 50,000. Yet this turned out to be far beyond the mark. The official figure after allowing for sharholders, and complimentary tickets give the attendance at just 40,000-not a bad crowd by any means, but still not 50,000. The gate receipts worked out at a little over £1,189, which is a record for a League match at Goodison-park. Two points and a nice contribution to the exchequer-what more could the Everton club desire. Moreover had not the directors the distinction of entertaining in their handsome new offices, the Lord Mayor of Liverpool.

As for the game, it was by no means as one-sided as the final score would appear to indicate. The enforced ensence of Dunlop proved a terrific misfortune for Liverpool for Murray who filled the vacancy shaped in a most disappointing fashion. Except in the matter of defence Liverpool were quite equal if not superior to their rivals, and it was unfortunate for them that the splendid work of the forwards and half-backs should be neutralised by unaccountable weakness in the rear division. Liverpool started in very incisive style, and but for some fin goalkeeping on the part of Scott, they must have taken the lead in the first quarter of an hour. As it was a goal scored by Goddard, which was disallowed on account of offside, was in the opinion of many a perfectly legitimate point. The first real breakaway on the part of Everton was successful, Settle taking advantage of some hesitancy by the Liverpool full backs and opening the score by a really fine shot. The lead was increased owing to a most injudicious place of work on the part of Murray, who in kicking back, forced Doig to concede a corner. This led to Abbott registering the second point. Just before the interval Hewitt cleverly placed the ball pass Scott, and although Everton were leading by two goals to one at half-time, this was more than their play merited, and did not accurately represent the general run of the game. The second half produced an almost similar state of affairs, for Everton scored twice, through Hardman and Sharp, and though the latter deserved credit for his fine effort in running half the length of the field, the opportunity again arose through the culpability of the Liverpool left full back. There was considerable doubt about the legitimacy of the second goal awarded to the Anfielders, for Hewitt, off whom the ball glanced into the net from Goddard centre, was palpably offside. Whether the ball touched an Everton player in its transit or not is best known only to the referee, who turned a deaf ear to the appeals of the Everton players.

Comparing the two lines of forwards, Liverpool were the more aggressive and dashing in their methods. The remarkable improvement demonstrated by Hewitt in the centre no doubt exercised a beneficial influence in the attack, and several well meant efforts near goal missed by the merest margin. On the left wing Raybould played a splendid game, furnishing Cox with numerous opportunities. Which were ably utilised by the extreme winger. Goddard was responsible for many fine runs, and the forward play all round left, no room for dissatisfaction. The Everton front rank also showed signs of improvement, and they made the most of the chance, which came their way. The left wing was the most prominent, Hardman especially causing the Liverpool defence much anxiety. There was not the same tendency to confine the play to the inside man though sharp, with the opportunities which Murray afforded him was not so much in evidence as he has been in these encounters, even when opposing Dunlop. Young was good and bad by turns, especially conspicuous. In the intermediate line Taylor gave a splendid exhibition, and like his vis-à-vis, Raiseback, got through a tremendous amount of work. Abbott and Makepeace shaped creditably though the former, as usual found Goddard a particularly warm handful. Bradley showed some of his best stoke form and Parry was seldom at fault despite the fact, than he had to face the most dangerous part of the Everton front line. Everton were immeasurably superior at full back, for Crelly gave one of his finest display, his tackling being wonderfully clever young Balmer did well although at times he was rather erratic. Mention has already been made of Murray, and even West seemed influenced by the weakness of his partner for his play was not so crip, as usual. Neither was Doig, seen at his best, though one save from Sharp, who had beaten the rest of the defence, was a sample of his old form. Scott once more demonstrated his worth, and when the attack of Liverpool was at its height, he came to the rescue repeatedly with some really brilliant clearances. Summing up the game Everton were fortunate to win by such a decisive margin, though they were clever enough to take full advantage of every opening. With Dunlop in the team, the probability is that Liverpool would have gained a share of the honours. As it is they have failed to record a League victory at Goodison-Park since September 1898.

The Battle of the Mersey.
London Daily News - Monday 02 October 1905
The meeting of Everton and Liverpool at Goodison Park aroused tremendous amount of interest. Everton, after an exciting game gained somewhat easy victory at the finish. Everton were the first to press, but Liverpool retaliated, and for about a quarter of an hour they had the better of matters. Then Settle and Abbott scored for Everton, and Hewitt for Liverpool. Hardman and Sharp obtained further points for Everton soon after the resumption, and Goddard, for Liverpool, sent in a fine shot which rebounded from Hewitt into the net.

Octoberb 6 1905. The Liverpool Courier
A meeting was held at Nottingham yesterday, Mr.J.J.Bentley presiding, Bristol City has signed Hanlin late of Everton, and the fee was fixed at £50.

London Daily News - Monday 09 October 1905
At Sheffield the United beat Everton by three goals to two. Everton were the first to press, Young scoring in a quarter of an hour, but Donnelly equalized after three minutes' play. Drake gave the United the lead before the interval. Play was very fast following the resumption. After McDermott had made the scores level again, both sides adopted the one back game. Owing to injuries the Everton goalkeeper was unable to turn out in the second half.

October 9, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
Somehow of another Sheffield seems to be a place where Everton are bound to meet with misfortune. Last season there was a tremendous game at Owlerton-park, when in consequence of football of the most brilliant description, they gained a commanding lead at half-time of 5 goals to 1. At that period of the game everything pointed to a great victory for the Goodison-road organisation. Then Scott who was in goal was injured, Abbott was called upon to fill the breach, and just on time, Wednesday team managed to share the honours of a remarkable game. On Saturday last Scott was again in goal and was again unfortunate. This time he strained the muscle of his thigh, and although he remained at his post, until the interval, he was quite unable to do himself justice. It is morally certain that if he had been fit and well he would never have allowed Sheffield United a second goal to count. It was a simple shot, but Scott leg prevented him effecting a clearance, which under ordinary conditions would have been comparatively easy. During the second half, Crelly tried his hand at goalkeeping and did not do at all badly. He had no chance with the winning goal, and on one occasion at least he saved his charge in galliant style.

It will be seen that Everton had all the worse of the luck. Up to the time of Scot's injury the Blues were unquestionably the superior team. They had more method about their plan of campaign, and inspired one with a feeling of confidence in their ability to annex a couple of points. As a matter of fact, they were a goal to the good at the end of fifteen minutes play. Young succeeding in an effort to convert one of Sharp's ideal centres, it was when the equalising goal came that Scott and Donnelly were in collision, with results disastrous to the Everton custodian. Although he kept manifully at his post he was obvious handicapped, and Drake with a header close in gave United the lead. Undoubtedly on the play Everton did not deserved to be in a minority of 2 goals to 1, for all round they were the cleverer side. In the absence of Scott they were compelled during the second portion to adopt the one-back game. With Crelly in goal young Balmer had considerable extra work thrust upon him, but he rose to the occasions in masterly fashion. The United forwards were respectably pulled up for offside, while the Evertonians whenever they had a chance made tracks for the Sheffield goal in commendable style, Quite early on in the second half a beautifully worked centre from Sharp enabled McDermott to place the sides on a level footing. For some time Everton although a man short, had quite as much of the game as their opponents, and it was unfortunate for them when ten minutes from time, Brown obtained what proved to be the winning goal.

Of course Scott's absence during the second half of the game had a deterrent effect upon the side. They started in a manner which was suggestive of victory, and the system of long passes which they adopted was disconcerting to the United defence which with the veteran Needham away was not too strong. Young Balmer gave one of his best exhibitions. Always resourceful, he was a tower of strength, and practically never made the slightest mistake. Crelly, as has been indicated rendered his side good service in both positions in which to figured. Makepeace was the most conspicuous in the half-back line, while the forwards were seen to greater advantage than has been the case this season. Young was tricky, and distributed the play with great judgement McDermott too was more like himself and with Settle always ready to seize in opening it will be understood that the Everton attack was effective, seeing that both Hardman and Sharp were in their happiest mood. The United though lucky to win, imparted any amount of determination into their play, but they are scarcely the team of old. Indeed it was quite disappointing to visit Bramell-lane, and miss the familiar figure and powerful influence of Ernest Needham.

October 9, 1905. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One. (Game 7)
Owing to many of the clubs being engaged in the qualifying competition for the English Cup there was only an attentunated programmes of matches in the Lancashire Combination. After the rest of the previous Saturday the Everton team appeared at home against Atherton Church House, and as they had previously beaten the Churchites it was not executed that they would have much trouble in improving their record. Such was the case, for at no time did Atherton cause their opponents defence any anxiety, and in the end Everton gained a very easy victory by five goals to nil. Birnie opened the scoring with a grand goal after half an hour's play, and it was from his centre that Oliver was able to add a second goal. This was the state of affairs at the interval, and after the change of ends Oliver, Cook, and McLoughlin put on further goals. Everton showed a decided improvement on recent displays, and after a somewhat uncertain start the forwards finished well. Birnie was always to the fore, and in this player, Everton have secured a promising winger. The halves were fully equal to the task of keeping the visitors forwards in check, and as a result the defenders had an easy task. The visitors showed plenty of vigour, but all round compared unfavourably with the home team . Everton: - Collins, goal, Hill, and Hannon backs Black, Chadwick, and Donaldson half-backs, Irving, McLoughlin Oliver, Cooke, and Dilly forwards.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 16 October 1905
This League match was played at Goodison Park before 12,000 spectators. Several changes on both sides were made. Collins and Oliver made their first appearance, and Booth resumed after his suspension. Notts were short of Reilly, Mainman, and Humphreys. Everton started, and in the first minute forced a corner, and after goals were scored by Settle, Oliver and Abbott, Gee scored for Notts. Interval score; Everton 3 goals, Notts County 1. In the first half Dean was injured, and was absent for the best part of the first 45 minutes. On resuming Everton held the advantage, Iremonger was prominent for the visitors. Dean scored for Notts through a mistake by Crelly. Oliver scored two more goals for Everton, who won easily, Hardman scoring another goal. Result; Everton 6 goals, Notts County 2.

October 16, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
It is many as long day since the Everton League team secured such an easy victory as was the case on Saturday. A score of 6 goals to 2 is formidable enough, but it by no means represents the superiority of the winners. As a matter of fact Notts County ought never to have been allowed to obtained either goals, and as for Everton, with the glorious openings which presented themselves there would have been nothing surprising if their harvest of goals had run into double figures at least. Although goals were prolific, the game was too one sided to excite the real interest of the football enthuistant. Doubtless it was exceedingly pleasant to the home supporters to find their favourites so successful in plotting the ball into the net. But the feebleness of the opposition detracted largely front the merit of the performance. On Saturday's form Notts County are a very weak team indeed. It is true that they were demoralised by the absence of three of being regular players, but except for a few minutes just after they had gained their second was they never seemed to possess the slightest heart. Certainly they never suggested in the remotest degrees the possibility of a repetition of their surprising performance at Roker-park.

As has been indicated, the game throughout resolved itself into practically a continuous onslaught from the part of the Evertonians. Just after starting the County forwards exhibited one of two pretty passing movements, but it was a mere flash in the pan. Everton's superiority was not marked, and it was only what was expected when Settle, after ten minutes play scored the first goal to be followed by a second from Everton's new centre forward Oliver, who added his name on his first appearance to the list of League scorers with a really capital shot. A little later Dean retired injuried, and the County position was worse than ever. Play was of a scrambling nature, and probably through taking matters too easily Everton allowed their opponents to credit themselves with a goal. Following a free kick against Balmer for handling the ball, went out to Gee, who found the net, while Everton were vainly appealing for offside. This had a rousing effect upon the Blues, the result being a brilliant goal from the foot of Abbott. Dean had sufficiently recovered to turn out after the interval, but there was no diminution in the bombardment of the Notts goal. Looseness on the part of Crelly was responsible for a soft goal, and then for a brief period the Lacemen looked liking making a fight of it. Once they were swept back they had a sorry experience. The Everton attack pressed home in irresistible fashion, and though splendid opportunities were thrown away, Oliver scored the fourth, and fifth goal. Hardman the sixth, and the rout of the County was complete.

Everton pronounced triumph was associated with two first appearances in the League team, Collins who deputised Scott had so little to do that it would be unfair to form an estimate of his abilities, although one was not struck with his judgement in dealing with the two shots which beat him. Oliver, however, made an exceedingly satisfactory debut. He has a lot yet to learn, especially in the direction of attending to his wings, but there is one thing that can truly be said about him. He is full of dash, and eager to seize every opening for a shot at goal. This is the kind of centre forward that Everton requires seeing that the wingmen are quite clever enough to supply him, with opportunities. Anyhow he is to be congratulated upon his performance in accomplishing what is regarded as the hat trick in football. Tom Booth reappeared after a period of enforced ideaness, and naturally was rather overshadowed by his colleagues in the half-backs line. Neither Balmer and Crelly was greatly troubled on account of the feebleness of the Notts front line. Unquestionable the feature of the game was the grand display of Sharp, who was in his most versatile mood, and the manner in which he rounded his men and centred right into the goalmouth was a treat to witness. The left wing too, was responsible for many brilliant moves, McDermott alone in the front rank falling to attain his real form. Teams: - Everton: - Collins goal, R.Balmer, and Crelly, backs, Booth (Captain), Taylor and Abbott half-backs Sharp, McDermott, Oliver, Settle and Hardman, forwards. Notts County: - Iremonger, goal, Griffiths, and Montgomery, backs, Emberton, Wainwright, and Leytham, half-backs, Athersmith, Green Dean, Tarplin and Gee, forwards. Referee M.Whittaker.

October 16, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
The English League beat the Irish League by four goals to nil at Manchester on Saturday Makepeace Everton's right half, played a useful and consistent game in his first inter-League match.

Bournemouth Daily Echo - Tuesday 17 October 1905
I hear that Frank Brettell, until recently manager of Plymouth Argyle team has become converted to Rugby, and is an enthusiastic follower of the local Rugby team
Frank Oliver
Oliver, the young Southamptonian, who went from Brentford to Everton made an auspicious debut for the Merseysiders League eleven on Saturday. He scored three goals and kept his wings together excellently.
Thomas McDermott
McDermott, the Everton forward, has been transferred to Chelsea.  "Mac" played a brilliant game against the Saints, when the latter met Everton in the cup ties last season. 

October 18, 1905. The Liverpool Courier.
Thomas McDermott, the well known and clever inside right of Everton, has been transfer to the Chelsea club. Mr.Jack Robertson, the manager of the club, and one of the directors, came down to Liverpool on Monday evening, and made all the necessary arrangement, with the Everton officials, and McDermott will now sport the colours of Chelsea. He ought to prove a great capture for his new masters. McDermott first team was Cambuslang Hibs, from which team he was from transfer to Dundee, he has played many fine games for Everton, and at his best is undoubtedly one of the finest exponents of the dribbling code.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Friday 20 October 1905
Toman, the ex-Stockport County, Everton and Burnley centre forward, who broke a leg while assisting the Goodison park club a few seasons ago, has signed for Oldham Athletic.


October 21, 1905. The Liverpool Football Club

The Everton team journeyed to Stoke today in order to meet the Potters on their native. Two games between these keen rivals are always fast and exciting, and the present meeting was invested with exceptional interest by reason of the fact that last season's Everton goalkeeper L.R.Rouse, was once again appearing with the Staffordshire club. The journey to Stoke was made in excellent style, and a tremendous crowd put in an appearance to witness this match. Everton evidently being prime favourites in this part of the county. The weather was beautifully line, and there was every promise of an exciting tussle, when the teams turned out. There were two changes in the Everton ranks from last week. Scott going back in goal, and Taylor partnered Jack Sharp, in place of McDerrmott, who is well known gone to Chelsea. Under these circumstances Booth took centre half. There was only one change in the home ranks. Holcroft being replaced by Hall. There were 12,000 spectators present when Stoke having lost the toss, kicked off with their backs to the sun, and against a slight breeze. The teams line up in the following order . Everton: - Scott, goal, R.Balmer, and Crelly, backs, Makepeace, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, Oliver, Settle, Hardman, forwards. Stoke: - L.R.Roose, goal, Sturgess, and Benson, backs, Baddeley, Holford, and Burgess, half-backs, Fielding, Rouse, Gallimore, Hall, and Miller forwards. Referee J.H.Smith . After the opening exchanges, the Evertonians ran-down magnificent on the left, and a corner was forced off Sturgess. Hardman lobbed the ball right into the goalmouth, and an exciting bully ended in another terrific bombardment, and after the goalkeeper had cleared two capital shots a third corner accured to the Evertonians. The could not however, succeed in piercing the home defence, and at length Holford gave relief with a timely punt that but his forwards in possession. They raced away in fine style, on the right and from a pass by Fielding, Gallimore had an open goal in front of him, but he shot over the bar. So far the play had been very even and exciting, and though Everton opened strongly, they were now being pressed by there opponents. Both young Balmer and Crelly, however, behaved excellently and a spell of midfield play was succeeded by the three Everton inside men getting away and Settle making his way through, was just about to shoot, when Sturgess cleared his line with a magnificent kick. Open by followed for a time, and both sides were visited in turn without anything-material happening. In the course of one advance on the part of Stoke, the referee was struck full in the face by the ball, but the crowd only laughed at his discomfiture. Even play ensued, but gradually Everton by superior tactics got down into the Stoke territory, only to see the movement spoil by Abbott shooting high over the bar. On another occasion Jack Sharp got away in excellent fashion, but Taylor was just too late to meet the pass, and Benson, who a moment before had been badly hurt, was able to clear. After this some exceptionally fine footwork on the part of the visitors' halves and forwards was witnessed and Oliver had an open goal, before him, when he shot yards wide of the mark. The pace at this time was not quite as fast as at the commencement, but it was exceedingly bright and entertaining. Sturgess making a miskick gave Taylor a fine opportunity, but “the old war horse failed” to take advantage of it. The game at this period was going altogether in favour of the visitors, but the Stoke defence though a trifle shaky at times was not to be beaten, and at length the long spell of pressure was relieved by Baddeley who gave the right possession, but Crelly pulled him up, Sharp then go away in splendid style, and centred well, but Oliver was too late to finish the movement. Another breakaway on the part of the left wing ended in Hardman sending in a swift ground shot, which Rouse got down to very cleverly. After this the Stoke took up the running on a most determined fashion, and on one occasion Taylor broke up a particularly dangerous combination. Still they pressed, and from a centre by Millar, Rouse headed into the goalmouth, Scott partially cleared, but the Stoke man got the return and shot again. The Everton custodian was completely beaten, when Crelly stepping in very luckily, and kicking the ball away. Still the danger was not over for Gallimore rushed up and shot strongly but the ball travelled over the crossbar. Midfield work followed and Sharp got down in his most characteristic fashion, but he was pulled up at the last moment by Benson and the movement ended in the ball eventually going over the line. Play at this time was rather on the slow side, but some excellent work by Makepeace put the Evertonians once more in possession. A series of throws in spoiled their advance, however, and Hardman was distinctly at fault in allowing Burgess to rob him when he was in a good position More play near the centre line ensued and then the home lot progressed on the left, but they were spoiled by Miller coming into collision with Balmer, the result being that he was rather badly winded, and as a consequence the game was delayed for some time. On resuming there was almost immediately. Another delay caused through Rouse and Abbott coming in contact, and the Stoke players received such a injury to his mouth that he was compelled to leave the field, for a time. At this period of the game the home lot were enjoyed rather the better of the argument, but their combination was very crude, and as a consequence many excellent chances went a begging. Still they kept desperately near Scott's charge looked like scoring when Baddeley shot high over the bar. Everton attacked in turn, and Oliver put in a shot, which Rouse fisted clear. The Evertonians returned to the attack, and Settle when close in was badly tripped but nothing came of the free kick, which was granted. A brilliant run down the wing on the part of Sharp, who had completely beaten, when Burgess rushed across and cleared magnificently, succeeded even play. Give and take play followed, but Everton were always smarter than their opponents, and at times some superb football was seen on the part of the three inside men, and one smart movement ended Settle dropping the ball right into Roose's arms. The little international shortly afterwards came into antagonism with Holford, and the crowd showed district hostility to Settle, but after all it was only a storm in a teacup. Even half back and forward play gave Everton the upperhand, and Hardman, after beating Burgess shot strongly, but Roose was not to be caught napping, and he cleared in his usual masterly style. Just before the interval, the Evertonians put on pressure, and a fine movement of the home forward line looked like ending in something tangible, when Oliver was pulled up for offside. Settle was prominent with a brilliant individual run but Holford intercepted his final shot at the expense of a fruitless corner. Still the visitors kept pegging away, and Booth tried to give Everton the lead with a long shot, which passed only an inch on the wrong side of the crossbar. Just before half-time Balmer in making a return, struck Makepeace violently, in the face with the ball, but the plucky little half back was soon all right. Sharp was then prominent with a magnificent sprint along the wing, and Sturgess was beaten, when Benson nipped in and cleared. Half-time Stoke nil; Everton nil.

On crossing over the game was continued at the same ding-dong pace, and though it was rather loose in character it was always fast. The next moment of importance was a breakaway on the part of Sharp, who passed to Oliver, but the Everton centre was far too slow to take advantage of it, the result being that Roose was able to clear. Again the Lancashire captain ran down the field at top speed, and this being his initiatory movements led to success, he swinging the ball right across to the left, where Settle very cleverly screwed it back again to Oliver, who beat Roose, with a short swift shot, the famous amateur custodian being apparently taken by surprise. After this reverse the home team played with great streniouness, but they found themselves opposed to a splendid trio of halves, always watchful and alert. The home side consequently began to try pot shots, and Sturgess once sent one from long range skimming the crossbar. An attempt on the part of the Everton left ended in Hardman being left in a capital position, but he dallied too long, and Burgess was able to clear. In the subsequent stages of the game the Potters had rather more of the play than before, but there was the same lack of cohesion and after Baddeley had put the ball high up in front of Scott, Rouse rushed in and ought to have scored, when he shot wide. Play after this was rather of a desultory character, but at length Stoke attacked strongly on the left and Fielding headed in a warm shot, which Scott dealt with very cleverly. There was more play in the open, and then an advance movement on the part of Everton ended in Abbott putting in a magnificent long shot which literally scraped the top side of the crossbar. End to end play was again the order and a neat movement on the part of the Stoke left wing terminated in Miller putting in a splendid shot which seemed to bother Scott, but the Irish international succeeded in throwing clear. Everton were next in evidence on the right and a free kick close in looked ominous for Stoke. The Everton captain saving at the expense of a corner. This however, was safely disposed of. The breakaway on the part of Everton left ought certainly to have ended in a second goal for Taylor had the net absolutely at his mercy when he shot ridiculously wide. Then Stoke took up the attack in the same dogged and persistent fashion, and one movement was exceedingly dangerous, but Makepeace finely saved the situation at the expense of a corner. This led to a tremendous bombardment of the Everton goal. Half a dozen were put in quick succession, but at length the pressure was relieved. This, however, was only temporary, for the home forwards returned again in fine fashion. The ball was cleverly put back to Halford, who put in a long shot that scored a really magnificent goal. The excitement was now increase and the enthusiasm of the crowd grow when the Potters again advanced against their opponents. They were quicker and more deadly in their shooting now than ever, an onslaught ended in hall notching a second goal a few minutes from the end. Immediately before the finish the Evertonians made super efforts to make equalising goal, and so determined were they that twenty seconds before the final sounding of the whistle, Hardman succeeded in notching the ball, and a most exciting game concluded in a draw of two goals each.

Sensational Scoring at Stoke.
London Daily News - Monday 23 October 1905
Everton opened strongly at Stoke, obtaining three corners in succession. Stoke retaliated, and Rouse nearly scored, that player just afterwards retiring hurt. Everton then took up the attack, Roose saving from Hardman. After the interval a brief attack by Stoke was followed a goal for Everton by Oliver. Stoke then dashed to the other end, but House missed. Holford equalized with a fine low shot about nine minutes before the finish, and Holford gave Stoke the load. However. Hardman from a corner kick, got a second goal for Everton.

October 23, 1905. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination Division One. (Game 8)
The match between Everton and Stockport County had been set apart by the Everton directors for the benefit of the widow, and eight children of the late George Farmer who, as one of the members of the team in the old days, did much towards bringing Everton to the front. It was gratifying to see a larger attendance than usual, and it is to be hoped that the funds will benefit considerably. Those who did not attend the game may still send their contribution to the fund. The game was a keenly contested one, but Everton always had a bit in hand, and finally won by three goals to two. During the first half Everton showed a marked superiority forward, and McLoughlin and Dilly each scored a fine goal. Collins effected brilliant save, but he had little to do in comparison with Worsley. The home side crossed over with a lead of two goals, and McLoughlin augumented the total with a magnificent goal. The visitors however, finished better this half, and succeeded in scoring twice, with the result that Everton gained the points by a narrow margin. McLoughlin gave a fine display for Everton, and was always dangerous. Dilly also led many raids, and his goal was a beauty. Black was the best of the halves, while Wildman was a sound defender. The visitors proved a capable side all round. Everton: - Collins, goal, Wildman, and Hannan, backs, Black, Chadwick, and Donaldson half-backs, Bernie, McLoughlin, Oliver, Cooke, and Dilly forwards.



October 24, 1905. The Liverpool Courier

No less than seven directors cross the channel to visited Belfast on Saturday, to witness the performance of Donaghy, Derry Celtic forward from Edinburgh, Hibernians, and Young of Linfield club's. The club were represented were, Everton, Fulham. Everton immediately offered Linfield £300 for his service. The latter declined negotiations. Tom Robertson confirm Young as a greatest player he has ever seen.



October 28, 1905. The Liverpool Football Echo

The pilgrims from Bolton are not looked upon by Liverpool supporters of League fixtures as a recherché district the same way that several other clubs are in fact, their want of success so far in discharge engagements would at first glance lead their student of form to conclude that Everton had “an easy thing” on this afternoon in entertaining Bolton Wanderers. As a rule the partisans' of the Blues do not support by their presence foregone conclusion. As a matter of fact the Trotters have one match lost four and divided points three. Last Saturday they lost to Birmingham after playing a resolute game, though their shooting was mediocre. The Wanderers are one of the original clubs, which constituted the League, but they have had their experiences of second Division Company from which they emerged at the termination of last season. Their defence now is however, but a faint reflection of the palmy days of Sutcliffe, Somerville and Jones. Past form pointed distinctly to the Goodison-park improving their goal average this afternoon, as the teams have met in Liverpool on fourteen occasions. Everton winning ten, losing three and drawing one. The weather was fine, but somewhat gloomy, and about 10,000 spectators were present. The Lord Mayor Mr. John Lea, was also an interested spectator. The following were the teams : - Everton: - Scott, goal, W.Balmer, and R.Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, Oliver, Settle, and Hardman, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Davies, goals, Taverstock, and Struther, backs, Robertson, Freebairn, and Boyd, half-backs, Stokes, Marsh, Sheppard, White, and McEwan, forwards. R.G.Young, referee. The Everton skipper was unfortunate in endeavouring to guess the spin of the coin, and Oliver had to kick against the wind. An attack soon came from the homesters, Sharp getting away and centring, but White got the ball way at the second attempt. Then the Wanderers set to work with extraordinary determination, and after a passage down the left and centre the ball went to the right wing from whence Stoke called upon Scott to clear. A corner was gained by Bolton, but this having been disposed of the Blues made a passage up the field, and as long pass went to Sharp who dashed along the touch line, but was at the last moment shouldered off the ball, and a corner which for towed was safely negotiated by the visitors. After Abbott and Hardman had tried in effectually to break through the Trotters guard. Stokes received from Fairbairn, and the insider, initiated a hot attack, which very nearly proved successful as Sheppard and Marsh joined in the fray, and both the Balmers were within an ace of being beaten several times. The Trotters resumed the attack with great persistency, and W. Balmer only just cleared. After this the Blues made a feeble effort to break through and a corner resulted, but Oliver could not convert. Away went the Bolton right in grand style, and Scott saved a stringer from Marsh. But the Trotters were not driven out, and their energy was so unabated that reward came at last, when White beat Scott with a glorious shot. After the restart Abbott put in a tremendous shot, which missed by a trifle. Long kicking by the brothers Balmer put Sharp on the run, but he was pronounced offside, and a further free kick against the Evertonians gave the Trotters no particular advantage. From the kick out the Everton forwards broke away a line, and went sweeping up the field in grand style, and when close in Settle received the last pass, and judging the situation beautifully placed the ball in the corner of the goal' giving no chance whatever. Restarting Oliver received a pass from Sharp, and being tackled by Freebairn passed back to Abbott, who tried another of the expresses, but found Baverstock in the way. Play was suspended for a few minutes while White was undergoing repairs Baverstock took the free kick for Bolton, but Makepeace prevented any further intrusion. The visiting got the best of the throw in, and were making progress when Abbott checked them. Then followed a foul against Makepeace but Bolton did not gain any advantage, and an ineffective advance followed by the Blues. Resolute tacking by Bolton had led up to the home attack, but Struthers cleared and thus opened up another was from the Wanderers front. The home defence was distinctly shaky and had all a long offered poor opposition on the Bolton rushes. Both Balmers were now well beaten by the Bolton right and centre, but were a clear course Stokes shot with terrific force only to put the leather outside. A nice clearance by R.Balmer and a pretty serve by Booth and then Settle, and Hardman were engaged in an attempt to work their way through the opposing line, but Hardman was too age, and ran the ball out. Another forward move by Settle and Oliver was spoiled just outside the penalty line owing to a foul against Bavenstock, and from this Abbott endeavoured to drive the ball through a crowd of opponents, but failed. Just afterwards Oliver broke away grandly, and was sailing onwards for goal in beautiful fashion when he was tackled by Struther, which was passed out to the left, but there was no comrade up in time to receive his pass. The spectators were much surprise to see the Blues so frequently held up by the despised, Trotters, but there was no gainsaying the determination and energy infused into their attack, and unfortunately, the Everton backs always seemed in difficulties under pressure. At last Sharp looked like improving the Everton account put in a well judged centre, but Oliver got too far down in receiving. However, immediately after the cricketer forced a corner, very cleverly of Struther and although the goal was packed, Davies cleared smartly, but after a little finessing the leather come to Bootle and the gallant skipper sent the leather towards the Bolton citadel with uninistalable power Davies never saw which way the leather went until it was netted, but Booth was afterwards given offside, when the ball was set in motion again play came from the home left, which point the ball went to Oliver, was missed a chance in front of goal. Their a lovely spell of passing was given by Settle and Hardman, but so strong was Baverstock's defence that they failed to pierce their way through. The ball went back to Abbott who plied the left wingers again and on this occasion Oliver join in, but neither of the trio could get in a shot at goal. Eventually Baverstock got the ball away, and Stokes made a dash down his wing, overcoming at opposition with the exception at the goalkeeper, Scott responding gallantly when called upon. The home forwards broke away, put this was of short duration, and Bolton pressed forwards again. The Wanderers were making strenuous efforts to equalise before the interval, and Sheppard, Marsh, and Stoker combined in line style, so that again was the Everton defence severely tested. On the occasion they came, out of the ordeal with credit though they could not prevent pressure being brought to bear on Scott, who had to leave his charge to cope successfully with the energetic Marsh. A free kick against Bolton for tripping Scott, led to a dash away, but it did not lead to anything of a tangible nature, and the same was being contested in the centre when the whistle announced the interval. Half-time score Everton 1, goal, Bolton Wanderers 1. Sheppard commenced the second half, and Bolton's right soon got to work. After one repulse they went down strongly, and Marsh shot for goal, R.Balmer clearing. A couple of free kick in favour of Everton caused the Bolton territory to be invaded, and Oliver received the ball in a good position. but fell. However, he quickly received himself and passed to Taylor, who tested the goalkeeper, but not very strongly. Scrummaging play followed a throw in by Abbott, but Hardman, getting the best of matters, shot across to Sharp, but the Bolton centres paid the cricketer too much attention, and he did not improve matters. Scott after W.Balmer saved a smart' advance of the “Trotters” left with a punt, and a minute after Davies fell full length in dealing with a grand drive from Booth. The Wanderers then turned on full steam, and for some time the pressure with difficult to deal with; but Makepeace played a great game, and his tackling was most effective. Stokes came with a rush, and beating Makepeace and Balmer, passed smartly to Marsh, who did not take the pass properly, and made a mull of it. The Bolton rights wingers were making a bold bid for goal when a foul was given against Marsh, and then for a short time each end was visited, in turn, owing to free kicks to either side. Sharp was making his way for possession in Bolton quarters when he was pronounced offside, but a corner soon came from the same wing, although this produced nothing better than a scrambled in front of goal, however, better matters prevailed in the course of further attacks on the Bolton goal, the forwards working grandly together and being kept well at work by the half-backs, one pass from Booth to Settle enabling the latter to shake the crossbar with a grand shot. A grand piece of work between Booth, Settle, Oliver, and Taylor led to the Trotters custodian rushing out to save, but he was rather severely handled, and temporarily knocked out. A shot from Settle forced a corner from Davies, which was cleared, and Sharp afterwards kicked over the bar. Oliver them missed a fine chance of gaining the lead by allowing Davies to nip out, and take the leather from his toe as he was entering the goalmouth. This palpable miss did not lessen the grim determination of the Blues, and they kept up a dogged attack, which ultimately resulted in Taylor giving his side the much deserved lead. Stakes broke away and beat W.Balmer, but Booth fell back and cleared. This led the way to a shot, from Oliver, which was saved by Davies, after very fine work in the centre, Hardman crashed the ball in, and Davies only saved at the expense of a corner, from which Sharp dropped the ball over the bar. Their Settle passed to Oliver who failed to score after which Booth, had a free kick, and Taylor passed to Settle, who missed by a foot. Better things however, were in store for the home side, and Settle received the ball from the right, and being practically uncovered had no difficulty in finding the net, registering Everton third goal with a beautiful shot, with a quarter of an hour to play and a lead of two goals the Evertonians did not relax their efforts for a moment, and took every opportunity of harassing their opponents defence, one centre of Hardman's causing consternation in the Bolton camp as Oliver dashed up to try to score, but the backs closed in and smithers got the ball away. Following this a strong attack, by the visitors who had rather hard lines at this time. The homesters were soon back at the other end where Davies had to save several times from Sharp, who shot grandly. The closing stages witnessed several rushes by the Bolton men, but were resolved by the Everrton defence although the home goal had a narrow escape after Stokes, following a free kick had centred the ball. final Result Everton 3, goals, Bolton Wanderers 1.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 30 October 1905
Played at Goodison Park, before 15,000 spectators. Bolton opened well, and after ten minutes White scored for them. The visitors were, however, not in possession of their lead long, as Settle equalized for Everton a few minutes later. Crelly was absent from the home team, the Brother’s Balmer playing backs. Interval; Everton 1 goal, Bolton 1. Everton had the best of matters in the second half, but it was not until nearing the finish that Taylor put them ahead after a fine dribble. Settle shortly afterwards put on a third goal for the home team, who had the best of matters to the finish. Result; Everton 3 goals, Bolton Wanderers 1 goal.

October 30 1905. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 9)
The match between Bolton Wanderers and Everton proved a tame affair for the greater part of the game, and to give a record of the match we should have to enumerate a long list of missed opportunities. In the first half the visitors could claim an advantage so far as midfield play went, but when near goal they failed badly. Much of this was due to Cook who frequently failed to keep on side, with the result that several good movements were thus spoiled. He managed to hit the upright, and the crossbar, but was offside on each occasion. In the second half the Trotters had rather the better of the exchanges, but they finished as badly as Everton, and in the end neither side could secure a legitimate point and the game was drawn. Both goalkeepers had very little to do. Hannan played well at back for Everton, while Black was always conspicuous among the halves. Dilly and McLoughlin were the better of the forwards, who were however, good and bad in turn. Bolton like the visitors, were weak on front of goal. The halves were good, and the back sound and sturdy defenders. Everton are now making progress in the competition, and their record has improved considerably of late. Everton: - Collins, goal, Wildman, and Hannan, backs, Black, Chadwick, and Donaldson, half-backs, Bernie, McLoughlin, Dilly, Cook, and Grundy, forwards.

October 1905