Everton Independent Research Data



October 1 1907. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Senior Cup, Round Two

After several years absence, the Burnley team renewed with Goodison park, were their opposed the Everton team in the Lancashire Cup competition. The weather was dull, 3,000 spectators were present. Teams: - Everton: - Sloan, goal, McConnachie, and Crelly, backs, Makepeace, Booth, and Abbott, half-backs, Donnachie, Bolton Young Settle, (Captain), and Winterhalmer, forwards. Burnley: - Dawson goal, Barron, and Barron, backs Cretney, MacFarlane, and Wolstenholmes half-backs, Valentine Whitaker, Ogden, and A. Smith, forwards, Settle, the acting captain, won the toss, and the visitors were to face the wind. R. Smith set the ball in motion for the Second Leaguers, who early pressed, Crelly clearing. When Everton retaliated, Bolton got offside and another incursion by the visitors followed, and R. Smith scored with a good shot. This unexpected success for the visitors had the effect of showing Everton that they had no easy task, and they put on pressure, to some purpose. Dawson saving from Young, and Winterhalmer. McFarlane was the means of putting his side on the attack again, and Whittaker tried his luck from long range, but the ball went wide. Young and Settle between then took the ball close to Dawson, only for the centre to get offside. Then Burnley attack, and McConnachie had to concede a corner, the visiting forwards swinging the ball about in fine style, and the home defenders always being kept on the alert. The corner was badly utilised, but Burnley came again, and Makepeace cleared after both the home backs and backs beaten. A clever bit of play by Settle led to a strong Everton attack, and following good passing Makepeace shot in, Dawson turning the ball against the crossbar. It re-bounded, and a couple of shots were charged down before Bolton missed a ridiculously easy chance. After Whittaker had sent in a little wide with a fine shot from long range, Young had a great attempt saved by Dawson, who after just managing to stop the ball effectially cleared before the Everton forwards could reach him. Winerhalmer then sent weakly outside and Burnley attacked again, Ogden sending outside from Valentine's centre. Everton at length wakened up, and from Donnachie centre, Dawson saved finely from Settle. Burnley, however, replied with a brilliant goal. The ball was taken up from the half-way line by clever passing, and Sloan saved splendidly from Valentine. He could not get the ball away, however, and, finally Whittaker gave Sloan no chance with a hard drive. Everton showed some improvement, and once Young was fouled inches outside the penalty area, Dawson clearing. The visitors, however, held an advantage, their dash upsetting Everton's attempts at science, and Sloan only saved with difficulty a grand shot from Whittaker. A free kick to Everton led to Abbott banging the ball just over the crossbar at a great rate, and Burnley retaliated, Valentine sending across goal and outside. The home forwards could do nothing right, whereas the visitors went for goal without hesitation and never lost a chance of shooting. It must be said that the visitors deserved their lead. Half-time Everton nil, Burnley two.

On resuming Everton pressed, Dawson saving timely from Settle, and Winterhalmer. Settle at last sent high over the bar, and from a goal kick, Burnley attacked. Whittaker scoring a fine goal. When Bolton put the ball past Dawson after the whistle had gone for offside there were ironical cheers from the spectators. Later R. Smith, beat opponents after opponent in a grand run, and looked all over a scorer, when McConnachie robbed him. Burnley, however, got a corner, which was cleared. From a corner to Everton, a desperate rush was made on the visitors' goal, but finally Winterhalmer sent behind. Crelly was hurt in a raid, on the home goal, but was able to resume, and Dawson saved a fine shot from Booth. Burnley followed with a corner, and only a fine save by Sloan prevented A. Smith from scoring another goal. Booth made the score 3-1 by beating Dawson from a corner, and Everton for a time showed as though they were trying. But they failed to overcome the sturdy defence of the visitors. Dawson made a few good saves, but Winterhalmer was several times at fault with his shooting. Another good run by the Burnley forwards resulted in yet another goal. A. Smith doing the trick with a fine cross shot. Afterwards Young retired and Burnley ran out easy winners. Final Everton 1, Burnley 4. The visitors well deserved their success, for in every department they were superior to the Everton men who, however, did not over exert themselves. Burnley possess a team that plays fine football and they have a set of forwards who lose no time in making for goal, and who proved themselves rare good shots. The combination that led up to the second goal was brilliant, and even such a half-back line as Everton had out was not capable of checking the Second Leaguers progress. The winners also possess a capable lot of defenders. Dawson proving himself a very safe goalkeeper, while MaCfarlane at centre-half gave Young no chance of distinguishing himself, and Wolstenholmes, who founderly had a trial with Everton looked after the home right wing. Of the Everton team, only Makepeace and McConnachie did anything worthy of comment. Sloan had no chance with the shots that were scored.


October 5, 1907. The Liverpool Echo

Bee's Notebook

What of October. September for Everton was fair to middling. The second month should show an improvement, and if Everton are opportunists they will take two points at the first time of asking from their Bristol City visitors. The personnel of the City team which will probably turn out in the following order, is interesting; Clay; Annan and Cottie; Marr, Wedlock and Hanlin; Bennett, Mazwell, Gilligan, Burton, and Hilton. Some of the names are very familiar to us and the team's manager Harry Thickett, is remembered for two pointed feature –first his experience in the English Cup final when he had some hundreds of yards of bandage round his body and secondly, his sterling work for Sheffield United at back. One is glad to see Thickett stamp of footballer succeeding after playing days are over. Tom to jump from old-time football to a later day. Hanlin is the half back who left Everton about a year ago. He lacks weight, has splendid speed and has trained on into a really good half back to the delight of his uncle, Jock Elliott. Hanlin has been described in each week a bulletin as the best of the half back line. To revert again to the old school, we find Annan the discarded Sheffield United and Sunderland back, and another sharp blade in Bennett, who has the former Stoke, Sunderland and Plymouth player, Maxwell as his partner. When one recalls the Stoke team with four amateurs included of some seven or eight years ago, the figure of Maxwell comes vividly before one's vision. How he did shoot. Half backs were told off to specially keep both eyes and feet on this slippery Scotchman. He has within the last two years cine to the fore again with the Citizens and in the Second Division matches last season he scored with machine like regularly “I believe he scored in ten successive matches. This season he netted against Stoke, Blackburn, and twice against Sunderland. Not bad business for a supposed veteran, and Wedlock the centre half is a little wonder, I am told, and his maneuvers are reminiscent of Johnny Holt. Then there is young Cottle a Bristol lad, who from the day of his first trial with the seniors has not looked back; while the left wing are clever and pemoned. The city are a heavy-built team and though the members realize that they cannot avoid defeat for every away from home they are anxious to put the gold edging on the pretty picture they have been painting since September 1, 1905, by the honour of avoiding defeat at the hands of the Cupholders. “So mote it be,” one would rejoin, but it cannot be ignored that Everton must win at home and begin to trounce the leaders. Bristol are an engaging side, and are drawing the people to the grounds which they visit and there is sure to be a big crowd at Goodison to welcome them.


October 6, 1906. The Liverpool Echo

League Division 1

(By Telephones)

Bolton Scorers in The First Few Minutes

Sharp Followings Suit

Sharp's Grand Goal

Bristol's Record Wiped

Blues Perform Well

Bristol City, who were visitors to the Goodison Park enclosure were beaten two seasons ago by the Anfield eleven but since then they have established a somewhat remarkable record in away engagements. Everton supporters were speculating today as to the likelihood of the Blues securing two points in the face of the visitors excellent work. When in the lower circle Bristol were always well in the front rank, now they have risen to the highest class of football they are evidently inblued with the intention of demonstrating to all and sundry their right to such an elevation. The visitors received a remarkably hearty reception, and the elevens were composed as follows;- Bristol Clay, goal; Annah and Cottle, backs; Spear, Wedlock, and Harlin, half-backs; Steinoforth, Maxwell, Gilligan, Burton, and Hilton, forwards. Everton; Scott, goal; W. Balmer and Crelly, backs; Makepeace, Taylor (captain)and Abbott, half-backs; Sharp, Bolton, Young, G. Wilson, and H. Hardman, forwards. There would not be quite 20,000 spectators present when Mr. N. Whittaker set the men in motion. The test for choice of position went against the Western man, which compelled them to face a stiff wind. After Gilligan had started Everton at once took up an aggressive attitude principally y dangerous the right, the first raid being checked by Cottle. The visitors ten fed their right wing, where the ball went out. Soon after the throw-in Young passed out to his right and when Sharp had had a turn Bolton dashed in and scored the first goal ere the game was a minute old Wing-to-wing play on the part of the home players kept the game in Bristol quarters but some minutes elapsed before the Evertonians made their way to within shooting distance. This object attained Wilson at once endeavoured to emulate Bolton but without success, and the next moment Clay was busy fisting away a further shot from one of the attacking party. A free kick to the visitors led up to a very dangerous incursion and the visitors were most unlucky not to equalized. Abbott failed to check, and Steinforth took the ball to the corner flag and centred prettily. Scott rushed out and cleared insufficiently, and before he could recover the Bristol front closed in, and Scot was most lucky to escape defeat as the Bristol forwards were putting in shots at the closest range. Ultimately the ball was gradually worked away by the Blues who signalized their escape by a menacing visit to their opponents end, and they attacked with Great Spirit from both wings, but though Sharp, Young and Bolton all essayed shots. City marvelously saved his charge. The Bristol right forced a corner but this gave the home defence no trouble and sharp was soon dashing away. Clay dealing with his final effort. Wilson then shot by the side of goal and a return move by Bristol ended in Wedlock shooting wide. The Everton left wing were checked in their endeavour to pierce the Bristol defence and the ball went back to Taylor, who fed Sharp the right winger shooting over the crossbar. A free kick against the Bristol left was taken by Makepeace and the ball went to Hardman who shot wide. A nice pass from Makepeace to Bolton gave Young a chance but his centre missed his him. This was followed by penetrating work on the part of the Everton left but the line on this occasion was never dangerous and finally Cottle transferred to centre Crelly checked an advance by Hanlin, but the Bristol left was busy again very soon only, however to find Balmer an insuperable obstacle. Wilson made play for his partner but the amateur failed to pass Spear, and once again the Bristol left essayed to beat Balmer, only to find the Blues too good, Wilson next put the ball across and Bolton tried a header only to find the leather travel to Jock Taylor who an effort to find Clay, but the ball cannoned on to Cottle, who was playing a rather good defence. The home attacked was continued but there was sufficient breeze to make passes uncertain. Young had excruciating luck when he scored a beautiful goal just as the referee sounded his whistle for some informality; but soon after the kick front goal Wilson showed some tricky work and gave the ball to Hardman who raced along and put in his centre, but the Bristol defence was strong, and the Evertonians failed to penetrate it, Hardman shooting behind. Hardman again centred but this time badly, and then he and Young headed a lively attack but both fell. Young recovered and shot, but without success. Taylor then worked the ball to Sharp who rounded. Cottle in beautiful style, and wound up with a brilliant shot, which gave Clay no chance at all, the second goal being the result of half an hour's play Sharp being heartily applauded for his effort. Immediately after restarting the Blues took up the attack, and Young was favourably placed when the whistle went, it looked as if the centre was not to get a chance of scoring though he was obviously anxious to increase his record. A free kick by Crelly availed the Blues nothing and Scott ran out much too far to meet the fancied danger from the Bristol right. A pretty move came next from Hardman, Young, and Sharp, but through the cricketer had an excellent chance his centre proved faulty. Once more did the Westerners essay an advance but there combination was not subtle enough for such adopts at tackling as Makepeace, Balmer, and Crelly and so the visitors efforts were in the main abortive. Half-time; Everton 2 goals, Bristol City nil.

Makepeace enabled his rightwing to attack and Sharp succeeded in forcing a corner off Battle. The Blues did their best at heading the ball, but finally Hanlin cleared the Blues out, and his men obtained a footing in Everton territory until Makepeace and Taylor eased the pressure. But a free kick gave the Westerners another chance, but Balmer neutralized, however, with a hugh kick . Bolton next sent across to Makepeace who failed to trap the leather which went out, and from the throw in Stainforth obtained and put the leather across Scott's citadel. The wind assisted the visitors now, as it had Everton and the Bristol men had their share of attacking. Wedlock sent the to Hilton who darted away and shot, and Hanlin followed suit, but neither effort troubled Scott. Balmer covered Scott in workmanlike style and on one occasion kept out a troublesome shot from Gillighan. After further futile efforts on the part of the visitors, the Everton men made a futile attack, the ball going from Makepeace to Young and through Sharp and Bolton to Hardman whose final effort went astray. The Everton left came again and Wilson tried a long shot which was not far off the mark. Aggressive work by the Bristol forwards flurried the home defence but when Stainforth was left with a grand opening he shot wildly and missed. Hilton made a capital –sprint along his wing but when dangerous he was cleverly attacked y Makepeace who soon dispossessed him. The Bristol men struck to their ground with great tenacity and the Everton defence was fully tested to meet the demand made on it. Finally Gillingham made a rather feeable attempt to beat Scott. After this the Blues became aggressive. An attack was headed by Sharp and Bolton, and the ball coming across to Abbott he put in a characteristic shot which was a little wide but had Clay beaten all the way. The Bristol custodian was evidently unaware of Abbott's partially for making a shot at a venture. After this the City took up the attack and Gillingham was prominent until sandwiched but the effort wound up with a brilliant shot by Burton. All efforts on the part of the Bristol forwards having failed, Settle tried a shot from half way but this, like many more, went wide. Everton again broke away and gained a corner. The wind carried the ball out, but on being returned by Balmer offside was given against Bolton. A rather fine note was then made by Hilton and Bolton and a corner was forced off Makepeace the ball being put behind. Just afterwards the visitors made desperate efforts in front of the Everton goal, and had the benefit of a free kick just on the penalty line from which Hamlin placed the ball over the bar. A fine attack then came from the Evertonians during which Young, Wilson, Bolton and Sharp worked manfully but Young failed with a header. The ball then went to Wilson, who made a terrific drive and toppled the crossbar. Bristol did everything but score, and the home defence was hard pressed. Final; Everton 2 goals; Bristol City nil.


October 7, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.


Liverpool's success on Saturday was one of the sweetest, which has come they way for a long time past. Since the season 1898-99, when they triumphed both at Anfield-road and Goodison-park, they have never had the satisfaction, even though they have been champions, of boasting of a League victory over the neighbours. Thus their heart's desire has not come to them out of turn. It has been a dreary wait –even an English Cup-triumph in the interval did not make amends –but now that the long-looked for win has arrived there is naturally jubilation in the Liverpool camp. Well, Evertoninas need not begrudge them the enjoyment of honours, which have been denied them for so many seasons. They have been practically surfeited with opportunities of rejoicing over the downfall of the Reds –that is in matches with the Blues. Fortunately the feeling between the two clubs is such that each wishes the other well, except when Everton and Liverpool form the contending forces. Then it is that the true spirits of local rivalry is exhibited or rather should be. Saturday's encounter, though it upset calculations to form in rude fashion, was fought out pleasantly enough, butt still with a vigour and determination that appealed to the sporting instincts of the great crowd. Liverpool won by four goals to two, on the day's play they deserved the honours, and the gratifying feature is that the 40,000 and more people who witnessed the match recognised the merit of the victors, while they were not a whit behind in appreciation of the galliant efforts of the losers.


While Everton were in the satisfactory position on being able to place their's strongest combination in the field there were eleventh hour change in the ranks of their opponents. This was due to the uncertainty as to whether Macpherson's injured leg would staud the strain of a strenuous game. Anyhow it was decided not to run any risks, the consequence being that Chorlton was brought in at right-half. Robinson partnering Goddard, and C. Hewitt crossing over to the inside left position. Although the weather was misty, the conditions were favourable for a fine exposition of the game, and the winning of the toss was a matter of indifference to either side. J. Hewitt started operations amid subdued excitement, and the early stages placed the supporters of the Blues on good terms with themselves. Their attack soon got to work, and there was a smartness, and method about their movements which was suggestive of success. The Liverpool defenders, however, were on their best form, Saul in particular being conspicuous. By degrees the visiting forwards found their feet so to speak, and from their first real attack Cox had a chance of opening the score. It was following a free kick that Everton managed to draw first blood, Settle placing the ball against the upright and into the net while Hardy was watching Young. Everton for some time exhibited clever football than their opponents, though the dashing tactics of the latter boded danger. At last Liverpool equalised, the goal coming, as in the case of Everton, from a free kick. This time W. Balmer was penalised for fouling C. Hewitt just outside the penalty line, Raisebeck took the kick, and probably no one was more surprised –certainly no one was more gratified –than the Liverpool captain himself, when he saw the ball pass through a perfect forest of legs into the net. The interval arrived with the sides on an equality. Everton had shown the better footwork, but if anything Liverpool had more real chances of scoring.


If there was little enthuse over in the opening half, the second forty-five minutes produced sufficient excitement to satisfy the most expectant spectator. Moreover, it was worked up by progressive gradations, as they say in the political arena. When Robinson was led off the field after a mix-up between Taylor, W. Balmer and himself the outlook was not too promising for Liverpool. Fortunately Robinson's absentence was only of brief duration, and singularly enough, with his return the Reds were more aggressive than at any stage of the proceedings. They made the pace of exceedingly warm, and it was no more than their incisive attacks deserved when C. Hewitt completely blaffed Scott. But this was only the beginning of the excitement. Following a corner, Makepeace was unmarked, and he crashed the ball into the netting quite out of Hardy's reach. At this period Everton were going great guns, and it seemed as if their famous closing spurts would enable them to snatch the victory. However, Liverpool were by no means content to take it lying down, and coming again in great style, J. Hewitt put them ahead, while a chance shot by Cox, later on gilded off the post into the net and completed the Blues discomfiture.


Considering the local feelings, which naturally enters into such a contest, the game was conducted in friendly spirit and at a tremendous pace, particularly in the second half. Liverpool triumphed by reason of the invigorating dash of their forwards, and the promptitude with which they seized upon every chance of a shot at goal. The Everton vanguard gave us some pretty movements, but the opposing defenders rarely allowed them to settle down into their proper stride. There was an outstanding player on each side –Saul for Liverpool and Makepeace for Everton. The former played a grand game at back, and it was delightful a grand game at back, and it was delightful to watch the tussle3 which occurred between him and Sharp. Without attempting to race the speedy wing man. Saul yet gave him no liberty. Of course, Sharp had many a good look in, but it is long since he has met a left back so resourceful as Saul, proved on Saturday. Makepeace gave one of his most brilliant displays. Indeed, he quite over shadowed Taylor and Abbott. W. Balmer was the better of the Everton backs, though R. Balmer on one side, and West on the other did much useful work. Raisebeck had clever colleagues in Chorlton and Bradley, while there was no conspicuous player in the Everton quintette, Liverpool front line was best served by the wingers, though the centre and two inside men got through a tremendous amount of work. Scott was beaten four times, but he could not be blamed for the defeat, while Hardy was very reliable, one of his saves in the last few minutes of the game being really marvellous. By the way, the official estimate of the attendance was 40,000, the gate receipts being £1,160.

Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goals, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Bolton Young, Settle, and Hardman forwards. Liverpool: - Hardy, goal, West, and Saul, backs, Chorlton, Raisebeck (Captain), and Bradley, half-backs, Goodard, Robinson J. Hewitt, C. Hewitt, and Cox, forwards. Referee Fred Kirkham.


October 8, 1907. The Liverpool Echo

Everywhere but at Goodison Park here appeared to have been a good game presented to the football followers. At Goodison things were flat –and had it not been for a few individuals. Two splendid goals even if Clay was at fault with hat from Sharp's foot – and them the ballooning. The game at Walton had few features. First and foremost it was to the credit of the Blues, who broke down the barrier which Bristol City have for so long a period held intact when posting as the visiting team. It is a grand and glorious performance to put up and the Citizers are to be praised for it almost equally Everton deserve encomium for succeeding where twenty-one others had failed. True City did not live up to their reputation; neither did Everton, unless it was living up to their characteristic nonchalance when engaged with what they imagine to be try Clay's charge was pierced in two minutes. Four men had a hand in it, and the culminatation was a ground shot which struck the inside of the foot of the post. Hardman originated it, George Wilson swung the ball right over to Sharp, who in trying to trap it carried it forward to Bolton, and the deed was done without a moment's hesitation. It was very shortly afterwards that Jack Sharp in inimitable style, went through and scored, but I thought Clay was at fault. Goals coming apace all was well; but having formed a lead, the Blues imagined vain things and were under impression that Bristol were nonentities. Simultaneous with Everton slackness came the Bristol bursts and as the latter have an usually big set of forwards they worried the home defence till they kicked anywhere and generally weakly. Fortunately in the second “45” Scott who had early shown symptoms of injudicious play by leaving his goal unguarded. Pulled himself together and brought off two saves the equal of which would be hard to find. They came from the feet of Hanlin and Wedlock and were if the swerving head high kind. Scott caught them when with the ball of a Tyldesley on the boundary line. When the Everton centre forward lapses into weak pivot work, it is only natural that the attacking line should go astray. The left wing and right wing, particularly the latter pair were in smart form. It availed nothing because Young did not hamper the backs, did not boot with force, and showed little resource. Mind you I give Wedlock credit for being a grand half-back. He is so small of stature that his ingenuity a remarkable. More than once we saw him take the ball from the centre's foot, and he was behind Young. Bristol City gave a business like team. There is height among the forwards as well as balance. The halves are full of spirit and determination and a delightful exhibition at back nothing better could have been wished for then Cottle. I considered him the most prominent man on the field. Maxwell's bulk deters him from doing great things and Abbott saw to it that he did not get in a shot. Burton in a tricky inside left and was the best of the quintet on Saturday. There was an enormous amount of ball booting and all the defenders were at fault in turn. These punts which led to throws in are irritating to the onlookers and the incessant calling upon the halves upon the touch line was one of the potent reasons why the game was not attractive.



October 7, 1907. The Liverpool Echo

The “Bes” has been gagged and robbed of all his teeth. He has been going through the Limericks and yesterday started the accounts for the best teams in England competition. In addition there is a correspondent who is barly on the Press path in an endeavour to solve the Everton forward line problem. There also additional problems this week in the constitution of the division of the team. Sharp will be engaged in the inter-League match and his usual deputy Donanchie was injured in the Lancashire Senior Cup at Blackpool yesterday. Settle was again present at the match on Saturday and he seemed to have completely recovered from the injured finger. If he resumes on Saturday or a fortnight hence, there will be a selection puzzle for the directors. This is how Swinnerton would solve the matter:-

I have watched the fine display given by G. Wilson in a new position –viz inside leg –against Liverpool and Bristol City. I wish to suggest that when Settle is able to resume his place G Wilson to be tried at centre forward, thus making the line read; Sharp, Bolton, G. Wilson, Settle, Hardman. I am sure the experiement is worth trying and no doubt it may prove t be as fine a forward line as there is in the country.

Everton were beaten at Blackpool chiefly because they were quite handicapped by the conditions. The ground at Blackpool is very uneven and narrow. The consequence was that the visitors were unable to get into the game through being cramped. Blackpool for the other hand, played full steam ahead, and won comfortably. The Goodison men were without Sharp, Bolton, Young and Crelly who would have made all the difference in the world. The only goal of the first half was scored by Blackpool but they should not have been allowed to hold the lead when the interval arrived because Everton were awarded a penalty, which Balmer took –and missed for at any rate missed scoring, Wilcox saving in clever fashion. Everton tried to make up the leeway in fact, they started vigorously. Hardman tried several shots, but the Blackpool halves somehow always seemed to hold the forwards in check. Blackpool added two more goals, really on account of persistent tactics. Everton were without the services of Donnnachie for a part of the second half. He wrenched his knee and is now under the doctor but it is expected he will be all right for Saturday.


October 12, 1907. The Liverpool Echo

Everton at Nottingham and short of Sharp, Settle is not quite fit, and Wilson will of course, take his position as hitherto, I have received several letters with regard to the claims and probable strengthening of the forward line with G. Wilson in the centre. One or two correspondents have assumed highly indignant attitude that any one should suggest Young being dropped. As the team has already appeared in these columns. I do not think it necessary to publish it. The County lost the first match last week and there is no reason to suppose that Everton will, not bag a couple at their expense tomorrow.



October 13, 1907. The Liverpool Football Echo

By Howard Spencer

English Cup Final of 1897

Was the game which stirred the most. The occasions was a remarkable one; the crowd was a remarkable one; the teams were without doubt two of the finest that ever contested an English Cup final, and the circumstances, so far as Aston Villa were concerned were quite unique. All that I can say, here is that the game was worthy of the occasion; worthy of the teams which contested it; and this day, wherever I go; if the English Cup competition comes up for discussion I hear people say; “Ah, the Villa and Everton match was the best game I ever saw” or “We shall never have a final like that of 97.” Now, I am not a believer in finality in football matters. We may get a better final than the Aston Villa v. Everton meeting produced but it cannot easily happen that paralled set of circumstances will arise. To Aston Villa the match meant something more than an English Cup Final, is apt to mean to one of the contending sides. There is no occasion which so stirs the pulse as the day of the Cup Final. While the International, England v. Scotland is if fist importance, it scarcely inflames the imagination –at any rate, it does not in this country –as the Cup Final does. Aston Villa had been in the final on three occasions prior to 1897, but never had they turned out at either Oval, or the Crystal Palace under such abnormal circumstances.

Aston Villa

It is not for me to sing Aston Villa's praises to the prejudice of any other great side, and I am not the man to do so, either. I will therefore make no invidious comparisons, but I will say that the Aston Villa, Eleven of 1897 challenged comparison with any side which ever played Association football. It was indeed, a magnificent team. In goal, we had Whitehouse one of the coolest and most resourceful custodians of the day, and I had as partner the sturdy resolute and able comrade and at the same time courteous opponent, Albert Evans. No team has ever been much better served at half-back than Aston Villa was at that period. Reynolds Cowan, and Crabtree stand out as one of the greatest half-back trios the game has known. For a man who was remarkable for speed –he was even lacking in that quality –John Reynolds was one of the most successful half-backs that have played. He had an old head on his shoulders, if ever a man had. A glance at his cranium gave you the impression that he was in the aged class of footballers but a willier being never kicked a ball. He was full of originality and was one of the most perfect judges of an opponent's intentions I have known. Then James Cowan was and is accepted today, as the greatest exponent of centre half back play ever seem. A perfect tackler, he was grited with a remarkable turn of speed for a man of his build, and no one ever excelled him in the arts of trying up a centre forward who might be the mainspring of the opposing forward line. Then at left-half we had a player without parelled Jones Crabtree who was equally proficient and equally at home in practically any position on the football field. We had a forward line too which alike for individual skill. Althersmith and John Devey were undoubtedly the best club right wing pair in the century. Aston Villa has been sighing for a John Campbell ever since its famous centre returned to the Celtic and Fred Wheldon was undoubtedly the greatest inside-left of his times. He was one of the deadliest goal-getters it has been my privilege to watch.

The Everton Team

Everton had also a wonderside. Menham in goal was a tremendous fellow standing nearly six feet two in height and weighting 13st. The two backs were big men, too, Meechan weighing 13st and the famous Scottish international Storrier 13st 2lb. Then they had a skilful half-back contingent, for who has not heard of the game of their trio, Boyle, Holt and Stewart? Johnny Holt was one of the most scientific halves football has produced. He had no bulk to stand by; he was simple a small man with a wonderful knack of getting his own way in the game, and his little tricks were always diverting. He played some masterly games at the time when no one else had a chance of being picked at centre half back for England. The ex-soldier Stewart who captained our opponents was also an effective and hard working half. Then forward was the old Dumbarton and Scottish international forward Taylor, who had the distinction of playing in the final last year, then Everton at last realized –the object of their ambition and took the cup back with them to the banks of the Mersey. John Bell was with him on the right wing, and of all great footballers there has scarcely been a greater one that John bell. For skill pluck strength crash and persistency, where would you find John Bell's equal? And he still goes on playing and will keeps almost at the top of the tree. A wonderful exponent of the game indeed. Hartley cool and calculating, in the centre, and the left wing pair were of course, Edgar Chadwick and Milward, great as individuals, greater still as a pair. They brought the science of wing play to the highest pitch of perfection.

In Magnificent Fettle

Yes, there were giants on the field that day it was a battle between two mighty teams and two of the best-trained teams that that ever took the field. Aston Villa had been in magnificent fettle all the season; Grieson has indeed done his work will, and so had Lewis. We had usually had every feast we met beaten the closing quarter of an hour. But it was not so with Everton. Their were if anything a shade more aggressive than we were in the closing stage; indeed many people through they ought to half drawn level during that period. Certain I recall the fact that their attacks were very persistent and the Villa owed must to the skill and perfect nerve of their goalkeeper, Whitehouse who never gave a finer display than he provided the outlookers with that afternoon. The game started at a tremendous pace. John Devey, our skipper won the toss and we had the wind in our favour and also had the sun at our back. John Campbell scored for us fifteen minutes from the start with one of those deadly shots at close quarters; the ball went into the far corner of the net and Menham had not a ghost of a chance of stopping it. John Campbell was a most artistic man at scoring goals, he always put the ball just out of reach if the goalkeeper. The people who looked on were often convinced that such simple shots should have been stopped, but those critics were not between the posts. The art of shooting is to put the ball where the goalkeeper isn't, not (as so many forwards do) when he is. The pace at which the shot goes into nothing so long as you leave the goalkeeper helpless. That was what John Campbell usually did. Ten minutes later Hartley came along, and shot; there was a collision between some of the players and John Bell whipped the ball into the net. That was level pegging but Everton was soon in front, Boyle gaining a point in resourceful style. But before the interval came the Villa were leading once more for John Cowan scored from a free kick by Crabtree and from a well placed corner by Athersmith. Fred Whedon secured our third, and were leading by 3 goals to 2. And that was the actual result. Everton played well with tremendous dash towards the close, whereas the Villa forward play did not seen quite so effective or so well thought out as it had generally been that season.



October 13, 1907. The Liverpool Echo

League Division 1.

Neither Side Score Up to the Interval

The Everton team were due at Nottingham today in order to fulfill their return engagement with the County Club. When the teams met at Goodison Park last month the game resulted in a draw but the visitors were sanguine enough –this afternoon to anticipate annexing both points. The tiresome journey into the Midlands was made in excellent time, and on arrival to the great late centre the weather was beautiful fine and mild. The visit of the cupholders excited the keenest interest locally, and there was a capital crowd on the famous Trent Bridge ground when the players appeared. The opposing elevens had both a prominent member away at Belfast, and Craythorpe doing duty for the English league against the Irish. Sharp was not the only absentee from Everton's ranks, Harold Hardman, being the victim of a cold. Under the circumstances he brothers Wilson formed the left wing, while Donnachie was drafted in to partner Bolton. If the County ranks Crays thorough place was filled by Charlotte and Pope filled the centre position in place of Green who was injured last week. This was Pope's first appearance with the senior eleven. Prompt to time the men faced each other as follow;- Everton; Scott, goal; Balmer and Crelly, backs; Makepeace, Taylor (captain) and Abbott, half-backs; Donanchie, Bolton, Young, D. Wilson, and G. Wilson, forwards. Notts;- Iremenger, goal; Jones and Montgomery, backs; Emberton, Mainman and Chalmers, half-backs; Dear, Humphreys, Pope, Tarplin, and Gee, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Heason, of Dursley. There were fully 10,000 spectators present when the rival captains tossed for choice of goals. Taylor was successful and Pope set the ball in motion against a rather stiffish cross breeze. After the opening exchanges the home forwards made stremous play on the left, but Makepeace checked Gee, and play was at once transferred to the other end. Donnachie ran down and passed to D. Wilson the latter being easily robbed by Mainman. A few moments later, however the Everton left wing worked their way cleverly down but D. Wilson the office when he shot a yard wide of the post. Give-and-take play was followed to another advance by Notts but the movement was altogether spoiled by Emberton shooting wildly outside. The game so far was very startling and a breakaway by the Everton forwards only resulted in Donnachie well-placed directing the leather very wide. Still the Evertonians maintained the pleasure d had their shooting been anything like accurate the Count goal must have fallen. As it was half a dozen fine chances went begging. Young twice dallying so long that Jones was able to clear. Nevertheless they continued to enjoy all the best of the play and G. Wilson running round the back, gave Iremonger a warm handful which he threw. A few seconds later Everton right was in evidence and Bolton had the goal at his mercy when he placed outside. There was little improvement in the character of the play, but the pace was certainty fast, and Dean looked extremely dangerous when he was pulled up for being offside. Gradually the Evertonians settle down to serious football, and the home defence was severely taxed but Montgomery and Jones were both on their best behavior. A break away by Gee promised well, but Balmer came to the rescue of Makepeace and saved the situation. At the other end the Bros Wilson were conspicuous with a pretty movement, but the inside man spoiled it by handling the ball and play was transferred to Everton territory where “hands” again barred profitable progress. Some useful work by Abbott put the Evertonians once more in possession, but Bolton was palpably offside when he trapped the ball half a dozen yards in front of Iremonger. The next item of interest was in other forward movement by the victory right wing, but Donnachie shot very feebly and without any semblance of accuracy. The game, indeed was sp tagged at this time that a section of the spectators began to jeer and there was loud laughter when Donnachie missed another golden opportunity of putting his side ahead. Young also was an offender and at length Makepeace fought to set his forwards an example by running through and shooting; but the ball was charged down. After this the front line did waken to a little and D. Wilson and Young both shot strongly the latter's effort being luckily stopped by Jones. A decision of the referee in ruling the three inside Notts forwards offside was received with some disfavor, but their play generally was wholly devoid of proper combination consequently it was not long before Everton were again on the aggressive and from a neat pass by Donnachie, Young headed the ball just wide of the net. The Notts right wing pair then broke away in splendid style and Scott was forced to run out in order to clear from Dean. Midfield work ensued and Young and Mainman came to loggerahead with the result that both were spoken to. A moment later there was another outbreak of feeling, Humphreys being the culprit this time. Mr. Mason there upon stopped the game and calling all the players to him cautioned everybody.

A Unique speculate which was loudly cheered. After this the pace became much faster and G. Wilson bobbed the ball right into the goalmouth, Iremengor fisting it out from under the bar. A sprint by the home right wing and well checked by Crelly and Taylor passing out to the right wing. Donnachie ran through and put in a swift going shot which Montogmery was fortunate enough to intercept. End to end play followed and Everton looked like scoring when D. Wilson was ruled offside. The offside rule was also brought into operation in stopping Humphreys just as the inside man was making off at top speed while a few moments later Bolton taking a pass from Donnachie was adjudged to be lying too far forward. As the interval approached Everton exerted great pressure, but their shooting was execrable and Abbott trying a pot shot put the ball outside. Good work by Bolton and Donnachie ended in Montgomery having to concede a corner, but the ball was badly placed and the Notts defenders easily cleared. Just before half-time Emberton sent in a long shot which gave Scott considerable trouble. He cleared well, however and G. Wilson racing down put in a long oblique shot which Iremonger only saved at the expense of a corner. This led to nothing but the Everton left wing came again and from a centre by D. Wilson, Bolton netted the ball but he was obviously offside, and the referee did not hesitate to rule so. Notts trade a desperate clash down in the last few seconds and Scott cleared very cleverly from Humphreys. Then came half-time, neither side having scored. Half-time; Notts County nil, Everton nil.

Weak Display of Football

Spectators Jeer at Players

A Unquie Spectacle

The Referee and Players

A Win For Everton

Young's Goal

When the game was resumed Mainman was limping badly, having wrenched his side. Notts attacked, but Balmer and Crelly drove then back, and in rapid succession Montogomery disposed of both Young and Bolton. Notts forced a corner which was not improved upon, but a little later, thanks to sturdy tackling by Jones, Pope and Humphreys work through and the last named gave Scott a magnificent shot, which was cleverly parried. The home side attacked hotly, and then Mainman was again injured in tackling Makepeace, but was able to resume. A beautiful movement by Everton enabled G. Wilson to send in a shot which Iremongor fisted away. Shots by Bolton and Donanchie rebounded off opposing players, but there was no mistaking the earnestness of the visitors at this point, and Irelonger had to run out to dispose of a fine centre by G. Wilson. A splendid run and shot by Dean only just missed its mark the ball hitting the upright. Emberton and Moutgomery managed to check Notts career, though with difficulty. E. Wilson gave Iremonger anxious moments and the goalkeeper cleared at the second attempt. Dean got away and missed the post by inches. The ball was stopped when Scott was lying on the ground. Notts now showed better form. From a corner the Everton goal had a narrow escape. Abbott and Taylor missed a good opening made for them by D. Wilson. Four minutes from the finish G. Wilson was allowed to run down with a clear course and finished with an oblique shot, which Iregomery went down on all fours to save. The ball was travelling at a terrific speed, and the goalkeeper failed to hold it, with the result that Young who was handy scrambled the rebound into the net it was a lucky goal and Everton, it was felt did not deserve their lead on the play. Final Result; Everton 1, Notts County nil.

•  Jack Sharp played for the English League against the Irish League at Belfast, Sharp scoring one of the five English goals.



October 13, 1907. The Liverpool Football Echo

Lancashire Combination –Div 1

At Goodison this afternoon. The players faced as follow;- Everton; Sloan, goal; Hill and Stevenson, backs; Black, Chadwick and Donaldson, half-backs; Dorward, Graham, Jones, Cooke, and Butler, forwards. Southport; Bullivant, goal; Spink, and Sinclair, backs; Edwards, McWhan, and Tasker, half-backs; Gate, Aston, Taylor, Gate, and Hinks, forwards. It was raining heavily when Jones set the ball in motion for the Blues who from the outset monoplosied the attack and to such good purpose that Graham was enabled to get in a shot from close range, which, however, went wide. The Blues persistent and Dorward gut in a beautiful accurate centre which Jones just missed turning to profitable use. The Seasiders next had a look in and good work by the right wing pair carried operations within striking distance of Sloan's charge when Aston sent in a fast rising shot which just missed the mark although the player was obviously offside. By the aid of clever combined forward work the Everton right sought to eclipse the efforts of their opponents and Graham tested Bullivant with a fine low shot, which the custodian neatly cleared. Then following some desultory work in midfield the defence on both sides accounting for the efforts of the forwards. At this stage a perfect hailstorm swept over the ground, but play was continued and from a long shot Graham had the satisfaction of beating the visitors custodian. The referee deemed it inadvisable to restart until the storm had subsided and the players retried more genial conditions. After an interval of five minutes the game was resumed and the Seasiders were the first to become really dangerous but, as before off, side spoiled Taylor from taking advantage of a favourable opening. Sinclair showed clever judgment in defence but the ex-Prescot youth eventually got the better of him and then Cooke completely spoiled the movement. Following that the leather was punted well from the Southport goal and Sprinks obtaining possession easily outdistanced Hill who have stern chase after his adversary. Sprinks however finely clinched the argument by sending in a fast shot, which Sloan touched but failed to clear and the game was 1 all. The cheers which greeted this Southport helped to stimated the dumber of seasiders present which must have been considerable. Jones was prominent with a beauty which Bullivant cleverly tipped over the bar. The Everton defenders were in constant danger of being beaten from long returns through their desire to lie well up the field. Thirks was always a source of danger when in possession and he again troubled Sloan with a raiping shot, which the custodian cleared rather feebly. Jones was again to the fore but he was cleverly watched and then Gate was responsible for a fine attempt to beat Sloan which however the custodian averted by racing forward while on the ground and Gara finished the movement by hitting the upright.

Half-time; Everton 1, Southport 1

Final; Everton 5, Southport 2.



October 14 190. The Liverpool Courier.



In all their experience Everton until Saturday last had never rejoiced in a League success at Middlesbrough. They had shared the honours, it's true, but this was as far as they had gone. Nav, more it was only on that broiling 1 st September last year that they succeeded in scoring a goal on Middlesbrough's enclosure. Then they put on a couple, but as similar reward attended their points were equally divided. However, they achieved their heart's desire last Saturday for whereas they again secured two goals, the Middlesbrough representatives were prevented from finding the net. The visit North was therefore all the more pleasant. It meant a new record in the history of the Everton club, and in view of the previous week's disappointment, when the Blues unexpectedly fell before their great local rivals, it was an additional source of satisfaction to their supporters that they recovered their form this early. Still on the run of play they were somewhat fortunate in irristering such a pronounced victory. The point was that they accepted what chances came their way, and they had a spirited hard-working lot of defenders with a wonderful goodkeeper in W. Scott, who was in unbeatable form.


But to the fortunes of the game itself. First let it be stated that Everton were deprived of the services of Taylor and Makepeace, the former through injury and the latter through the call of his county to do battle with the Irish League, while Middlesbrough were without their class goalkeeper Williamson. The conditions were satisfactory, except for a strong breeze, Sharp won the toss, and took a slight advantage with the breeze at their backs. After end to end football, Young placed his forwards in possession, and good combination brought the ball into the goalmouth, and the ball cannoned of a defender, and Young had no trouble in scoring the opening goal of the game. Soon after Hardman went off with a twisted knee. Middlesbrough doubled their efforts to equalise, but it was the Middlesbrough goal, which might have fallen before the interval, Hassell clearing successive shots when it seemed odds on his goal being captured. No sooner had the second half been resumed than Everton were two goals up. Barker was penalised for handling, the ball was lobbed to the foot of Bolton, and he drove in with the result that the leather glided off Wilcox past Hassell into the net. This proved all the scoring. With Sharp cribbed and Hardman unable to do himself justice the defence rose to the occasion in grand style. Scott in particular, giving a magnificent exhibition of goalkeeping. The play, however, were not so one-sided as might be imagined. Abbott on one occasions crashing the ball against the crossbar with the custodian helpless.


Everton accomplished a great performance in winning by two clear goals. It has already been suggested that there was scarcely this difference in the play of the sides. The Middlesbrough qiuntette the exception of Roberts exerted considerable pressure, but although they got in many fine shots, there was something lacking in regard in methods, when it came to the finishing touches. Then Everton for the great part of the game had passages on each wing, so that all the more credit is due to them for seizing the two goal chances, which came their way. Moreover they exhibited at times some exceedingly pretty footwork. The injuries to Sharp and Hardman naturally had an unfortunate effort, and under the circumstances the three inside-men, with Bolton the pick, did wonderfully well. Scott of course was the outstanding figure in the defence. W. Balmer was more effective than his brother, who was inclined to take too many risks. The halves all worked splendidly, although Tom Booth outshone his partners, Abbott and Chadwick. Indeed it was quite pleasing to see Booth once again play such an eminently serviceable game for his side. He had all his old resource, and equally judicious in falling back when danger threatened as he was in adopting the right moment to one of his forwards. The Middlesbrough men did not blend as well as expected of them, but certainly their defeat was not due to any lack of ability on the part of their reserve custodian. Teams: - Hassell, goal, Watson, and Brown, backs, S. Aitkens, A. Aitkens, and Barker half-backs, Brown, Bloomer, Common, Wilson, and Roberts, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer, backs, Chadwick, Booth, and Abbott half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Bolton, Young, Settle, and Hardman forwards. Referee W. C. Glover.



October 14, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Divison One (Game 8)

Oldham Athletic came at cropper at Goodison-park on Saturday, being defeated by the heavy total of nine goals to one. Everton took the game in hand almost from the kick-off as after Sloan had dealt with a splendid attempt by Moore, the Blues forced the pace of the interval. Jones opened the score with a fine individual attempt; Mountford and Graham (two) adding the further points. Wright the visiting custodian, here retired injured. On resuming the visitors finished the game with ten men. Gregory, a full back going between the sticks but they pleased the spectators by not resorting to the one back game. Gregory dealt with many attempts in creditable style, but eventually Graham scored his third consecutive goal, and this accomplished the “Hat-trick.” Jones found the net twice, and Macconachie also beat Gregory, when the visitors found the home defence lax, and Moore gained their solitary goal. Woods finished the scoring, and Everton won as stated. The Blues all round were a strong lot, and conceding that the visitors shaped poorly, still they would have beaten most teams on Saturday's form. Sloan had an afternoon off. Strettell and Crelly were in capital trim, while the halves were unbeatable, Rouse whose first appearance it was at half-back by no means being poor. The forwards all preformed creditably, but special mention must be made of Mountford, whose display was the best he her yet given. Of the visitors' display little need be said, except that Gregory, first at full back and later in goal, did good service. Everton: - Sloan goal, Strettell, and Crelly, backs, Adamson, MaCoonachie, and Rouse half-backs Rafferty, Graham, Jones, Mountford and Woods, forwards.



October 14, 1907. The Liverpool Courier

A drizzling rain effected the attendance at Sunderland, where the inter-League match between England and Ireland was decided. England winning by six goals to three. Makepeace of Everton playing for the English Leaguers.


October 15, 1907. The Liverpool Echo

The result from Nottingham came as a surprise without a doubt, after the exhibition the County gave at Everton a few weeks ago. Anyone who saw them with them down as a team that was going far, but during the last fortnight they seem to have been falling back and hence the most that was hoped for by the majority of their supporters was a drawn game. Everton on the performance in getting one goal, although they missed many others and trying the full points home. The game was a curious one. Young was in form, if we refer so his manner in giving fouls. When Young is on form as he has been for the last fortnight it must be the hardest thing in the world on the other four to keep in anything like shape line. Of course Sandy is such a customer. However he was not alone this time in his defence for David Wilson failed to come up to form. With Sharp doing duty for the English league at Belfast and Harold Hardman laid aside through cold, there was necessary a chance. In the front ranks Donnachie was drafted into partner Bolton and the brothers Wilson formed the left wing. The rearrangement on Saturday exhibition was not a success. The first half of the game was of such a scrambling character that really the least said about it the better. It was inept ineffective and absolutely uninteresting. The second half possession a proper exhibition. Play was so exciting and each of the goalkeepers had to be on the defensive to prevent their downhill. The excitement of the home team was worked up to a boiling point when an appeal against Balmer for a penalty was made unsuccessfully. Balmer had been subject to the suggest of a penalty against him for the last two of three Saturdays. On this occasion the referee said he could not see what happened and he consulted the linesman who was parelled to Balmer. This official never hesitated to state that the ball hit Balmer's hand accidentially. Perhaps it was one of those cases where the ball is kicked by an opponent at about two yards range and into the back hand and then there is a clamour for a penalty, George Wilson was the best man on the field and shot from every point and at every chance and would have scored but for Iremenger's vigilance. In fact the winning goal was really Wilson's as he shot with high force that iremonger was unable to get the ball away and Young placed it into the net. The half backs were good and the defence was steady and sturdy. Still it was a disappointing game as a game.


October 18, 1906. The Liverpool Echo

How many footballers are popular whenever they go? There is a fair number of them and one of the foremost is John Sharp, whose decision to retire from the football arena at the close of this season is said to be irrevocable. This is most regrettable. One would not mind it so much if he would “retire after the manner of various well-known singers and actors whose farewell performance are chronicled every other month. The football world will miss Jack Sharp. He has endeared himself to the spectators by his arts of football and what is infinitely more to his credit by his appearance to all cases as a thorough gentleman. And what a pretty he presents as he enters cricketer of football field. His ruddily and slightly famed countenance, his excellent symmetry his whole bearing stamps him as a man who has led temperate life. Everybody who knows him is proud of the acquaintance. Men of his stamp are all too valuable example to other pros to lose from the tactise scene of football. We have seen the cricketer –footballer pulled up by a referee on about four occasions for a foul and when the whistle has gone the spectator has been constrained to suggestive things, of the sight of the referee. Doubtless Jack has come to the unfortunate decision to retire on account of the approach of his cricket benefit. This must surely weigh with him. He will probably take a benefit at Old Trafford within the next two seasons and it would be unwise for him to risk a football injury which might keep him from a lengthily career with the Lancashire C.C.C. Those who will fell his loss most will be the Everton directors. There's a gap to be filled that will require much thought and a big purchase. Sharp was born in 1879 and his first superior was Hereford Thistle after which he went to the Villa and from there to Everton in 1899, he became a regular member of the Everton team and since there have been breaks in service and these due only to injuries.



October 18, 1907. The Liverpool Echo

The Everton announce this afternoon, that negotiations have been successfully carried out whereby Fred Rouse well in future be a Chelsea player. Rouse, it will be remembered was transferred to Everton by Stoke, when at the top of his form, he has been with Everton club as early as the beginning of last season. It was an open secret that Chelsea were badly in need of class players through injuries to their regular members. Rouse can be expected to serve his new masters well.


October 20, 1906. The Liverpool Football Echo

(League Division 1)

(By Telephone)

Great Game at Goodison

Sensational Scoring

Young In Great Form

Sheffield United invariably play a good, sound game when they come to Liverpool. They have not been successful at Goodison Park for some-seasons, however. The weather was dull, but fine when the start was made below 15,000 spectators. It will be noticed that the home club's half-backs line was rearranged. The teams were as follows;- Everton; Scott, goal; Balmer and Crelly, backs; Booth, Taylor and Makepeace, half-backs; Sharp, Bolton, Young, Settle, and Hardman, forwards. Sheffield United; Leiversley, goal; Benson and Johnson, backs; McClure, B. Wilkinson, and Needham, half-backs; Donnelly, Payton, Brown, Drake, and Lipeham, forwards. Brown had to face a stiff breeze when he kicked off but notwithstanding the visitors' left pressed forward, and from a free kick Scott saved, but the ball was taken by Drake and sent over the crossbar. The United were soon back on the right, where a corner was forced. This was very badly placed, the ball going out to Benson who shot wide. Then Everton broke away on the right only to lose the ball over the touch line. Following the throw in Taylor passed to Hardman who gained a corner from which Leivesley saved smartly, but Makepeace put the ball in again, and once more the goalkeeper had the better of the argument. The Blues were successful in the first few minutes as the result of beautiful work. The Blades had got away in line, looked dangerous when R. Balmer affected a masterly clearance. Sharp lasened onto the leather and passed in between Johnson and Needham swinging in a fine centre which Young took on the run and headed in past Leivesley and this scoring a grand goal. Soon after restarting the Blades put on pressure and established themselves firmly in the home territory when Drake missed a good opportunity of equalizing by faulty shooting. This was followed by several incursions of the Everton left wing but nothing tangible resulted. Attacks on each goal brought nothing tangible and on one occasion Everton obtained relief through a free kick this being followed by a clever bout of passing between Wilson, Young, Bolton and Sharp, and on the latter being cornered by Johnson, Booth dashed forward and shot wide. Then Wilson had a shot which failed to find the net, after which a free kick was given against R. Balmer which let in Donnelly, who threaded his way through and looked very dangerous until R. Balmer cleared Sharp got away, but was beaten by Johnson. After capital work Hardman gave a perfect centre to Young, who sent in a brilliant shot, the ball finding a resting place by the side of the net. The equalizer came in very pretty fashion though neither of the home backs were seen to advantage. The Sheffield left wormed past Booth neatly, and then Lipeham repested his tactics of dribbling the ball along the goal-line when he shot across the goalmouth. Both of the home backs were in the goalmouth but there was a moment's hesitation on the part of the older Balmer and Drake receiving the speedily leather scored.

A Very Smart Goal

The Blades thoroughly deserved their success as they played with great determination and there was excellent methods in their attack. More excitement was soon provided for the spectators in the shape of another goal. Everton going down prettily, and Hardman getting in his usual clever centre, Young fastened on the ball and passed to Wilson who shot a beautiful goal from beyond the penalty line. The visitors played up with refreshing vigour, and were making a strong attack when Booth found Lipsham within the penalty area and the referee at once allowed the dreaded kick, Brown having no difficulty in defeating Scott. For a few minutes play was rather tame but some rare forcing attacks by Everton brightened up the game, and at the end of these moves Young placed his side in front by means of a cleverly scored goal the game so far had been of a sensational character, very fast and of excellent class, but the good things were by no means exhausted. A brilliant dash by the Sheffielders resulted in Scott just managing to hand the leather over the bar. After a meritorious effort by Donelly , Taylor extricated his side, and the Blues sailed along in full force, and a stiff attack followed the Blues gradually nearing the Sheffield defence until Young found an opening and dashed the ball into the net, while Leivesley was full stretch along the goal in a futile effort to save. Thus five goals had been scored in half an hour and all good honest goals at that. After being beaten back the Everton forwards appeared to have the United defence tied up, but the only result was a wide shot from Bolton. On the visitors running down into Everton ground R. Balmer smartly robbed Donnelly and the next moment Brown took possession of a long possession of a long return from Benson and was passing between the backs when young Balmer headed away. Everton once more took up the attacking utmost irresistible style, and within a minute the goal keeper was tested thrice. Sharp hanged one shot in which was got away, and then Hardman passed back to Young who troubled the goalkeeper after which Sharp again out the ball in smartly, Leivesley responding finely. Then Taylor gained a corner, which proved barren after which he retried a shot, which failed to score. Five minutes from time the Blues were attacking so cleverly that the Sheffield defence was non-paused. The Blues passed one to the other at will and finally the ball sent back to Booth, who tried his luck and gave Leiveley a very warm handful to whistle sounded.

Half-time Everton 3, goals, Sheffield United 2 goals.

Restarting, Young made off and Makepeace fed Young neatly, but the Evertonian failed to pass Johnson. He was soon in possession again only to foul Benson this time. From this the Blades invaded the home territory where Lipsham led up to a corner, which was cleared by Taylor. Lipsham would not be denied and soon came goals, Scott having to run out to clear the left-winger's shot. Next the younger Balmer cleverly recovered a weak clearance by his brother. The attitude of the Blades continued to be threatening and the home defence was under pressure for some little time. At last Hardman got away and he was closely attended by McGuire, who came very near to fouling the Evertonian in the penalty area. Hardman had travelled too fast, and Young was not up to negotiate his past. A foul against the visitors rid Everton of a lot of pressure and on the ball going out to Hardman he sped along the wing, Wilson coming in at the finish and forcing a corner. A second corner was given by one if he defenders in his efforts to get the ball away and at this second attempt Hardman put the ball behind. Play was for some moment in the centre. Everton having he first to get away again, but Sharp and Bolton failed on finish well, the ball being returned by Johnson to the centres. A big effort was made by Taylor and Bolton to piece the “Blades” armour but a stiff attack was thwarted by Johnson and Needham. A goal kick ultimately brought relief to the visitors and they came along smartly on the left only to be held up smartly by Booth. But this took up the attack smartly on the right wing, Scott having to respond to Foyer. This was followed by a foul against Makepeace. Soon after G. Wilson was fouled when travelling well. The advantage was however, lost though both Young and Sharp had ineffectiveness shies at goal. Booth next sent to Young who transferred to Bolton but the inside man was cleverly offside as he shot over the bar. Everton seemed loth to leave the Sheffield quarters and Bolton almost scored from a pass from the home left. Payton, Drake and Brown tried a pretty passing move, but this was eventually broken up by W. Balmer, who enabled Hardman to get down his wing. Wilson gaining a corner, as likewise did Sharp but neither were fruitful to the homesters. Young at this point raced away beating Johnson and gave the ball to Bolton whose final effort was within a foot of the mark. Time after time the United's right tried to break through the Everton defence, but they failed to accomplish this. On the Everton right Bolton passed to Sharp and Johnson failed to him the right winger having hard lines, with his shot the wind apparently carrying the ball a trifle wide. A free kick against Needham gave opportunities to Young and Bolton the latter making a faulty miss. Bolton had hard lines several times when chances came his way but at last he succeeded at the result of an opening provided by Young. The left wing was, however really instrumental in menacoveing the leather, making ground and drawing of the defence. Bolton had an open goal for Livesley ran out and fell, misjudging altogether the direction of the ball. Final Everton 4, goals; Sheffield United 2.

Last season Everton 3, Sheffield United 2


October 21, 1907. The Liverpool Courier



On Saturday Sheffield United had their . Usual fate at Goodison-park. That is to say, they were beaten in a League-match by Everton. They have as yet failed since the century commenced to gain maximum points on the Everton enclosure. This they have sustained eight consecutive reverses. In their earlier days in First League football their experience was somewhat more pleasurable. Indeed, their initiation into the premier division was at Goodison-park, where they made a good start, winning by three goals to two. Their latest visit found them on the wrong side by two goals to one, by no means a bad performance on an opponents's ground. Moreover, they did not go under without a rare struggle. Although two goals in arrears early on in the proceedings they never gave up hope. They were distinctly unfortunate with not a few creditable attempts, and when at length they received some reward for their efforts there was a likelihood of their pertinacity yielding them a least one-point. The Everton players however, had a say in this. They roused the enthusiasm of the spectators in marked degree –and, well when the whistle finally blew no one could begrudge them the honours of a hard fought battle.


Everton had to take the field with Sharp, in addition to Taylor, an absentee, while Sheffield United were short of Bluff, but even such noted players as those named were not greatly missed, so successful were the deputies. This game after the first few minutes, went all in Everton's favour. Hardman had lost all trace of the knee trouble, which he sustained at Middlesbrough, for he fastened on to the ball and dashed it across the goal, much in quite his best style. It was after rounding Benson beautifully that he put in a centre, which enabled Young to draw first blood with a shot, which left Lievesley helpless. This was a capital start, but the Blades forwards were exceedingly nippy, and the Everton defenders had not much leisure. Then came the Blues' second goal. Young again being the scorer. This time he got his head to a perfect centre, and the ball was in the net before Leivesley knew where it was. Thus with a two goals' lead, Everton's position was practically secure. The Sheffield forwards, however, had terribly bad luck in having rasping shots charged down in the goalmouth, and Everton were rather fortunate in holding such a pronounced lead at the interval. In the second half, which commenced in a terrific downpour of rain, the only goal fell to the visiting side. It was due to W. Balmer taking things too easily, with the result that he let in Thompson, who ran though and netted with ease. After this period United shaped as if an equaliser were soon to arrive, but once they realized the seriousness of the situation, the Blues peppered Leivesley's charge and kept the excitement at a high pitch. Everton eventually running out winners by two goals to one.


Though not a great game, it was a thoroughly interesting and hard fought encounter, with the winners value for their victory. Sheffield United have a really fine team this season, and one that will have to be reckoned with by the strongest combinations in the country. Needham is still a force on the football field, and the way he served his forwards, apart from his judgement in checking opponents, was an object lesson to young players. The halves on both sides were to be commended. Booth and Wilkinson in their respective positions being notable for sound, and profitable work. Neither pair of backs was entirely satisfactory. The brothers Balmer were good, and bad by turns, while Benson, the United right back was frequently in difficulties, with Hardman, who was about the best forwards on the field. Donnachie and Bolton formed a clever wing, the former especially in the second half, bring prominent, while Sandy Young, in addition to obtaining Everton's goals, was responsible for several splendid attempts at scoring. Lipsham and Drake made a capital left wing for Sheffield, but Brown failed to gain his customary goal; and moreover was too forcible in his encounter with Booth. As the goalkeepers, no fault could be found with either of them. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, W. Balmer, and R. Balmer, backs, Makepeace, Booth, and Abbott half-backs, Donnachie, Bolton, Young, Settle (Captain), and Hardman forwards. Sheffield United: - Leivesley, goal, Benson, and C. Johnson, backs McGuire, Williamson, and Needham, half-backs, Thompson Levick, Brown, Drake, and Lipsham, forwards. Referee W. Gilgryst.



October 19 1907.

No Details . Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettell, and Crelly, backs Chadwick, MaConnachie, and Rouse, half-backs, Rafferty, Chetwood, Jones, Mountford, and Woods, forwards.


October 20, 1906. The Liverpool Football Echo

At Aston, before 3,000 spectators. The Villa won the toss, but Jones, passing out to Butler, enabled the speedily left winger to make a good opening, Johnson however, saved and at the other end Cantrell caused Sloan some anxiety. Millington opened the Villa's account and near half time Cantrell and Chappell added further goals; half-time; Aston Villa Reserves 3, Everton Reserves nil. Full Time; Aston Villa Reserves 3, Everton reserves 1.


October 22, 1906. The Liverpool Echo

We expected Everton to win and granted the concession that Sheffield United would give them a run for the points but it is safe to proclaim that so end of the 18,000 spectators present ever imagined when wending Goodison way, that the exhibition to be given would be of the exhilarant character it was. It was a remarkably attractive game –all too short –and as an exhibition of forward work I should say nothing has been seen to equal it. We will say unique exhibition of attacking power between each set of forwards overpowered the defenders by sharp passes, quick movements on the wing, strong and accurate centres and combination that was well nigh perfect. Now one often sees a quintet by its combined efforts wavering pass a defence say seventy out of the ninety minutes' play. It is a fairly common occurrence. Here, however, both quintets were in capital trim, and there was little to choose between the two lines. Up to the penalty area there certainly was no difference between the pair. Both were excellent. It was when it came to the vital points the final efforts that Everton were seen to more advantage than their rivals.

CHELSEA 2 EVERTON 1 (Game 596)

October 28, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.



It has taken Chelsea some time to find their feet in the First Division of the League, and they must have astonished even themselves when they beat Everton on Saturday by two goals to one. But the most rabid partisan could hardly begrudge them their victory before a crowd of close upon 40,000 people. Everton are a team that the London public delight to see, and almost every follower of the game has a sneaking regard for their picturesque style of play. In this particular match there was hardly a pin's point to choose between the teams in point of cleverness, and a most delightful exhibition of the game was the result. Chelsea won because they made the most of their opportunities, while on the other hand Everton although enjoying practually as much of the game as their opponents, threw their chances away through hesitation in front of goal.


The story of the game can soon be told, for the first half all the exciting football was witnessed. From the beginning play was contested at a fast pace, and the Chelsea goal was early in danger with Millar miskicking. Fortunately for the Pensioners Cameron dropped back just in time to prevent Bolton getting in his intended shot. Only five minutes had gone when Chelsea registered their first goal. Cameron had cleared an ugly rush by Settle, and Hardman and from his long kick Hilsdon fastened on the ball and passed it prettily to Windridge, who taking a quick shot, beat Scott at close range. There was a very exciting incident, after this for Bolton trapped a beautiful centre from Hardman, and flashed in a lovely shot which Whiting negotiated by literally throwing himself at the ball and conceding a corner. The most noticeable part of the game up to this period had been the beautiful work of the Everton half-backs. Their steady tackling and accurate passing to their forwards was much admired by the great crowd, but somehow they seemed to fall, which they got within shooting distance. Chelsea went in for more dashing tactics, and most of their movements were engineered by Rouse, the old Everton man, who was playing his first home match for his new club. Windridge and Fairgray instituted many thrilling movements, but it was left to Everton to provide the excitement of scoring an equalising goal. The forwards had indulged in a regular bout of passing, and finally Bolton took a shot at goal. His efforts, however, cannoned off Millar and went out to Sharp, and the Lancashire cricketer cantering along, dropped in a backward centre. The ball dropped at the feet of Booth, who, from a distance of quite 20 yards, sent in a low, swife shot which completely beat Whiting, whose sight was obstructed by his backs, Young almost got another in the next minute, but Cameron just managed to charge it down. Before the interval Chelsea, again took the lead. Rouse got a pass from Stark, and hooked the ball out to Morgan, and racing down the field he was successfully lackled by R. Balmer, but before the Everton back had time to clear, the little Chelseas winger had registered possession. He immediately patched across a curling centre, which Scott came out to meet, but the ball swerving out of the custodian's reach went to Windridge, and in a twinkling it was breasted into the net. As it happened this proved the winning goal, for the second half was devoid of scoring, though Everton came very near on several occasions. They pressed almost continuously during the last ten minutes, and Whiting, magnificently turned one great shot from Sharp, round the post. It was a wonderful piece of goalkeeping, and the crowd fairly rose at Whiting after he had seen Abbott head over the crossbar from the corner kick.


Coming to the individual merits of the teams in the first place the men on both sides should be congratulated on a really delightful display of clean football. There was hardly a foul in the game, and nothing in the shape of any unnecessary vigour was noticed during the whole ninety minutes. The forward play was skillfully executed while the defence all round was convincing and resourceful. Scott had rather more shots fired at him then Whiting, but little fault could be found with either man under the crossbar. The Everton backs were a shade cleverer than the home pair both the Balmers being sure with their kicking, Cameron the old Blackburn Rover, is settling down and on his display, on Saturday will prove a valuable member of the London team before the season closes. Reference has already been made to the play of the Everton half-backs, and it only remains to be said that Booth was a long way the best man in that position on the field. Abbott and Makepeace were both good, especially the former, who has a perfect understanding with Settle and Hardman. The Chelsea halves were not so clever as the opposing trio, but they were full of energy, with Stark and Birnie prominent. The Everton forwards were masters in the art of combination, but their shooting was not at all deadly. They wanted to make too sure of a position before letting fly. Sharp was a disappointment to the spectators, who had expected a great display from the international, but somehow, the ball seemed too lively for him. Bolton did good work while Young was a real pivot and worked the line cleverly, but as a pair Settle and Hardman were the most effective, their work always being convincing. The best of the Chelsea forwards were Windridge and Fairgrey, who took a lot of stopping when on the move. Teams: - Chelsea: - Whiting, goal, Cameron and Miller, backs, Henderson Birnie, and Key, half-backs, Moran, Rouse, Hilsdon, Windridge and Fairgrey, forwards. Everton: - Scott goals, W. Balmer and R. Balmer backs, Makepeace, Booth, and Abbott half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Bolton, Young, Settle, and Hardman, forwards. Referee T.P. Campbell.



October 28, 1907. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 9)

Everton maintained their high scoring propensities on Saturday, when they defeated Chorley by eight goals to one, the visitors solitary point being obtained from a penalty kick. The game all through was a one-sided affair, though in justice to Chorley it should be mentioned they were short-handed for the greater part of the game, besides which they arrived late and the start was delayed twenty minutes. Play commenced with an attack on the visitors goal, but it was some time and Everton found the net –Donnachie doing the trick –the custodian and his backs putting up a splendid defence. Once this was pierced, however, goals came quickly, and when half-time was reached the Blues were leading 4-0 –Mountford (two) and Jones putting on the additional points. On resuming Everton looked putting on a record score, as three goals were put on in 15 minutes, the executants being Woods (two) and Mountford. Chorley were then awarded a penalty kick, and Pollard scored. Mountford recorded his fourth goal, and the eight for Everton, who pressed hard right up to the finish. Taken all round the match was very uneven. Sloan had an afternoon off, only fielding one or two shots. The backs were safe, while MaConnachie was the most noticeable of the halves, his shooting being a feature of the play. All the forwards were in splendid fettle, and got through some telling work. Little need be said of the visitors. The custodian could not be blamed for the severe defeat, but the remainder of the team hardly came up to the Everton standard. It is evident the Blues' forwards are in fine trim when operating at Goodison, as in their last two home matches, they have scored 17 goals. Everton: - Sloan, goal, Strettell, and Crelly backs, Adamson, Macconachie, and Chadwick, half-backs, Rafferty, Graham, Jones Mountford and Woods, forwards.








October 1907