Everton Independent Research Data




October 4 1909, the Liverpool Courier.



Games between Everton and Liverpool are always extremely interesting, and Saturday's great contest at Goodison-park wills assurdly remains green to the memory of the forty odd thousand spectators who were fortunate enough to be present. It is safe to assert that never since the two clubs have been in opposition has one witnessed a more exciting encounter in which the nicer points of the game have been more prominent than was the case on Saturday. The ground presented a very fine appearance, the only pit being that the handsome new stand was not ready, otherwise every coign of vantage was promptly seized upon long before the match commenced, and the attendance will probably stand as a record for some time to come. With regard of the game it was splendidly contested, cleanly fought, and worthy to rank as one of the best witnessed between these keen rivals. It was certainly a memorable day in the history of local football, and it is fervently to be desired that the same healthy spirit that dominated Saturday's game will be the rule rather than the exception.


Liverpool prevailed by the odd goal of five. Certainly their success did not come out of its turn, for it was only the fifth occasion upon which the “Reds” had been able to extract full points out of 27 League encounters. If only for the sheer pluck and never say die spirit which characterised their efforts right up to the end they deserved their reward. Everton in the first couple of minutes of the game had the necessary fillip to spur them on –a wonderful advantage in these naturally exciting local contests. That their early success had an important bearing upon their play in the first half was evident for they dropped into a confident strides that would have upset even the best balanced defence. But Liverpool, as at present constituted, knew nothing of the old failing which characterised their players of days gone by, and though they were seemingly hard put to it they responded in a spirit that was bound to being about beneficial results. The style of play adopted by both sides was one that appealed to all followers of the game. Individualism was generally an absent factor, and probably one of the main features of the contest was that the teams had set out with a decided plan of campaign. Any fears that might have been entertained as to the cracking up of the Liverpool defence, were dispelled after the players had warmed to their work, so that the match all through was never suggestive of being anybody's game up to within five minutes when Parkinson gave his side the lead for the first time with what proved to be the winning goal.


Twice were the ultimate victors a goal in arrear. As indicated Everton opened their account from a spirited burst that would over whelm the best defence. Freeman had forced a corner, and following a splendid effort by Young, the ball rebounded from the crossbar for Coleman to head into the net. Hardy had no possible chance of averting the downfall of his charge, and for sometime afterwards his work was onerous and exciting. One save from Coleman, who had an open goal four yards in front of the keeper, was simply marvellous, and other brilliant feats did not fail to arouse appreciation from all quarters of the ground. Meanwhile, the Anfield forwards had not been by any means idle. Among several well-directed shots at Scott, it is open to doubt if the Irish international keeper was not beaten by Parkinson. The centre was well within the penalty area, and applied the finishing touch with a fast rising shot, which came from the underpart of the bar into the filed of play. An appeal was made that the ball had been over the prescribed limit when Scott was in the act of clearing, but it was such a doubtful point that the referee gave the defenders the benefit. Liverpool's persistency brought its result just before the change of ends, when the Liverpool centre parting to Goddard, who was unmarked, enabled his side to go on level terms before the interval. As like the first, as in the second, Everton forged ahead in the early stages. This time it was Freeman who obliged with one of his characteristic individual efforts. He had the better of a bout with Harrop, when he brushed aside, and slipping between the backs raced to within a few yards of Hardy. The Keeper was helpless, but still made a gallaint effort to thwart the designs of the home centre. The equaling came in the nature of a surprise, as Stewart from long range sent in a ground shot, which after gliding off Balmer's feet passed into the corner of the net. With five minutes from the end, when Parkinson, gradually on his own, placed his side in the lead. It was a case of staying power at the finish and then Everton made several gallant attempts to share the honours, but the Anfielders were not disposed to relax their grip of the game, and though their methods did not altogether appeal to sportsmen, one could not really blame then for occasionally kicking into touch in order to preserve their lead.


Coming to the players, one must congratulate every member of both sides upon having played his part in thoroughly sportsmanlike fashion. There was no suggestion of that ultra keenest of feeling, which has been displayed in days gone by. The men were out to play the game, and that they succeeded in providing a really high-class encounter was testified over and over again by a thoroughly impartial crowd. Where all did well none could fail to observe the more than ordinary cleverness of the respective custodians. Hardy was the more subjected to pressure, and it goes without saying, that rarely has it been the lot of a football gathering to have witnessed an exhibition of custodianship such as was given by England's great keeper. Scott too, gave a great display, and had no chance with any of the shots that found the net. For the first time this season the Liverpool backs –Chorlton and Crawford –approximated the standard of their colleagues, but they were not do ready in their clearances as were Balmer and MaConnachie. Freeman and Parkinson always caught the eye, inasmuch as one was prepared for any development when these clever centres got off the mark. They met with a fair measure of success, and to the inside forwards was due in no small degree the opportunities which came their way, Stewart on the one hand, and Young on the other were invariably concerned in the movements of the centre forwards, and so far as wing play was concerned none did better than Goddard, whose flashes and dainty touches were generally admired. The half-backs were kept fully extended. Harrop played one of his best games, though Robinson was always in the picture and Bradley showed improvement on recent performances. Harris, Clifford, and Makepeace were a formidable line, and the ex-Bolton man made a capable substitute for Taylor, though he fell away somewhat in the concluding stages. Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Clifford and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young and Turner forwards. Liverpool: - Hardy, goal, Chorlton, and Crawford, backs, Robinson, Harrop, and Bradley, half-backs, Goodard (Captain), Stewart, Parkinson Orr, and McDonald, forwards. Referee D. Hammond.



October 9, 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo

The English League beat the Irish League by eight goals to one, at Oldham in front of 10,000 spectators at Oldham, Freeman scoring one in the first half and three in the second portion.



October 9 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo

Able Hartley, the old Everton and Liverpool footballer, died suddenly at Southampton to-day, he was lately engaged as a labourer at Southampton docks.



October 11, 1909. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury


Everton's remarkable away record this season led one to hope that they might even maintain it against Aston Villa on Saturday. The absence of Freeman had of course, to be taken into account, and it is perhaps not too much to say that had he been available a different tale might have had to be told. These theoretical speculations, however, are idle. The actual fact remains that the Evertonians received their first check on foreign soil this season. And when on looks back upon their performances up to date, Saturday's reverse may be regarded, perhaps, as a blessing in disguise, for it will certainly stimulate them to regain the sequence of victories now temporarily snapped. Added comfort there is in the reflection that though defeated, they were by no means disgraced. Indeed in the first “forty-five” they had quite as much of the play as their opponents, and their short passing was at times even cleverer than that of the nippy Villa forwards. At the interval, although the home side held the lead, honours were easy. Few of the 40,000 spectators present could have imagined that the Evertonians were destined to crack up in their front line in the second half extent, and when the Villa had a certain extent, and when the Villa had landed a third goal they were thereafter masters of the situation. Freeman was very badly missed, but it is only just and fair to Young to explain that he was not at all well. The injury to his side, which he received in the Notts County match, still troubled him, and he explained to the writer that he would have preferred not to participate in the game.


The football in the first half was as a Birmingham enthusiast exclaimed, “a fair treat.” It was fast, vigorous, and marked by a rapidly of exchanges that positively thrilled and delighted the onlookers. The Villa, who had lost the toss, were the first to make the running, but they found both Balmer and MaCconnachie steady as the proverbial stone wall, and it was left to the visitors to make the first really dangerous advance. The forwards moved gallantly along, and Young passed out to Sharp, who might have scored with a screw shot, when he sent the leather wide of the mark. It was an admittedly difficult angle from which to score, and had the Everton skipper succeeded the whole fortunes of the game might conceivably have been changed. The Villa were not slow to take advantage of this lost opportunity, for they at once changed the venue, and Hampton, who had come into the team for the first time this season, showed his earnestness of intention by opening the scoring, after eight minute's play. He took a neat pass when in a good position, and nipping between the backs, scored with a tremendously fast shot. For some time after this Everton were almost constantly on the defensive, the ball being especially troublesome while Logan once brought out all Scott's brilliance, the Irishman saving marvellously at close range. The battle raged fiercely for half an hour, when Everton succeeded in getting upon level terms. Following upon a corner, there was a sensational bully in front of the home keeper, and in the melee the ball glanced off White into the net. It appeared to strike one of the defenders before going under the bar, but it was virtually White's goal. The Villa came away again in strong fashion, and from a corner by Wallace, Hunter scored with a hard drive three minutes from half-time.


There is no use blinking the fact that in the second period Everton fell from grace most lamentably. With Young practically a passenger and Clifford scarcely in the vein, the forward line became entirely disjointed. This was made apparent when after five minutes' going Hampton rushed through like a racehorse and scored a third goal. Time after time the Evertonians tried to rally; but the forwards simply could not rise to the occasion, and it is highly creditable to the defence, that nothing more was scored. Having played so brilliantly in the first moiety it was bitterly disappointing to see the visitors so palpably out-manceurved. Sharp and Coleman were the most prominent of the Everton forwards, the left wing scarcely doing itself justice. Both Makepeace and Harris played with characteristic plucky, bearing upon their shoulders the bulk of the pressure in the second half, Balmer gave another magnificent display of fearless tackling and clean kicking, and he was ably partnered by Macconnachie. Scott kept out a score of shots that might easily have told, and he could not be blamed for those that beat him. The work of the Villa forwards was undeniably clever throughout. Hampton and Gerrish being especially prominent. Their halves were also in a fine fettle, and the backs generally succeeded in coping with the Everton advances. Teams : - Aston Villa: - Cartlidge, goal, Lyons, and Miles, backs, Logan, Buckley, and Hunter, half-backs, Wallace, Walter, Hampton, Gerrish, and Hall, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, R. Balmer, and McConnachie, backs, Harris, Clifford, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Young, White, and Turner, forwards, Referee J. Sykes.



October 11 1909. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.

Lancashire Combination Division One. (Game 8)

Accrington Stanley's unbeaten record has gone. By 5 goals to nil Everton vanquished the Accrington eleven. It was Everton's game from the start, and quite early in the contest the only question at issue was the number of goals the Goodison brigade would chalk up against their visitors. Lacey and Gourlay scored in the first half, and afterwards Jones put the finishing touch to a smart centre by Michaels, and subsequently Lacey's forceful tactics culminated in this player twice defeating the visiting custodian. The brilliance of the Blues quite over-shadowed the work of the Stanley players, and although at one time Everton looked like being content with a couple of goals owing to their poor finishing tactics, they subsequently improved so much in this direction that the Accrington defence proved unequal to the strain, and Everton won is the easiest possible fashion. The introduction of Jones into the Everton front rank seemed to supply the missing link, as he infused just the amount of dash into the line, that has been so badly wanted. Lacey played a great game and was always in the fighting line. The Blues' intermediate line was well balanced, and the defence was really never in trouble. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Meaner, backs, Pratt, Rafferty, and Adamson, half-backs, Michaels, Lacey, Jones Gourlay, and Mountford, forwards. Accrington Stanley: - Barber goal, Ingham, and Carter, backs, Rigby, Swift, and Brindle, half-backs, Dawson, Ingham, Warburton, Bradley, and Whifle, forwards.


Tuesday October 12, 1909 -Nottingham Evening Post

Inquest on “Abe” Hartley

The last chapter in the career of Abraham Hartley, better known as “Abe” Hartley, an old football favourite, who in his time was the idol of the crowd, first with Everton and afterwards with Southampton, was told at Southampton yesterday afternoon, when an inquest was held into the circumstances attending his death, which occurred suddenly outside the Dock Pay Office at an early hour on Saturday morning. Arthur Hawkes, who shared a room with deceased at a lodging-house, told the Court that he was working with deceased in the docks from 5 p.m. on Friday to 5 a.m. on Saturday. They went together to the Dock Pay Office to draw their money, and while standing in the queue the deceased suddenly fell to the ground. He was carried into the police office, and a doctor summoned. Dr. Foster Welsh, who called in, attributed death to synoope, arising from double pneumonis and the jury returned a verdict accordingly. Hartley, who was a native of Dumbarton, was with Everton five seasons, and played centre forward for Southampton ten years ago.


October 12, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Senior Cup Round One.




The game between Everton and Bury at Gigg-Lane could not by any stretch of imagination be considered of the first water. Possibly the conditions that prevailed had much to do with the poor quality of football; still there could be no getting beyond the fact that the players rarely extended themselves, with the result that the contest savoured rather of the type of friendly combat. Rain fell during the whole course of the game, and under the adverse circumstances a gate of £52 was quite satisfactory. The home side were severely handicapped owing to injuries to players, for there were five changes from the side that operated on Saturday, and Everton were also shorthanded.

The quality of play during the first portion of the game failed to reach even the ordinary standard. Rarely indeed was there a finishing touch of special merit, and for the most part play hovered about midfield. The respective backs were invariably equal to all demands made upon them, and when they were at all in difficulties the finishing touches of both the Everton and Bury forwards were of a most elementary character. At times Freeman looked like brushing aside all opposition, but scoring was not forthcoming, though close upon the interval it looked odds on the home side taking the lead from a penalty kick against White. Scott came gallantly to the rescue, and the second half opened with the sides on level terms. The second half opened with Everton the more aggressive. Still, scoring seemed as far off as ever, and it was not until 17 minutes had elapsed that Freeman, after one of his characteristic sprints, opened the scoring, and play had no sooner been resumed than he placed a second to his credit. Then Currie, the Bury centre put in a magnificent drive at Scott, and on a further return to the some end the Everton centre missed the easiest of chances. From a corner off Macconachie, Scott had a narrow escape as from this concession Currie sent in one of his best shots of the game, which fully extended the keeper. Ten minutes from the finish the home centre retired injured, and during his absence McIntosh scored from a fine pass by Birnie. The remaining five minutes of the play generally favoured Everton, and the scoring was completed by Freeman, whose shot rebounded from the upright into the net, the Evertonians this accomplishing, the hat-trick. This was the last point scored, and Everton entered the second round of the competition by 3 goals to 1. Teams : - Bury: - Raeside, goal, Parkin, and Millington, backs, Humphries, Stewart, and Ray, half-backs, Birnie, McIntosh, Currie, Kay, and Whittaker, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, R. Balmer, and Macconachie, backs, Rafferty, Harris, and Makepeace, half-backs, Micheals, Coleman, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards.



October 16, 1909. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.


In these highly-scientific days it seems almost absurd to talk of “luck.” But we are not all Darwins, Huxleys, or Harbert Spencers, and with all due deference to these mightly intellects, “which we wish to remark and our language is plan” that Everton's luck on Saturday was decidely peculiar. Probably' many spectators though the best team lost, which is perhaps an extreme view, for no Sheffielder would go further than admitt that a division of points would have been a happier termination to a fast and well-fought game, in which Simmons, Evans, and Kitchen were foremost in attack. Such changes as the introduction of Rafferty at right half, Harris in the centre, and Michaels on the right wing, instead of Sharp, were not calculated to promote the homogeneity of the Everton side' even though the men individually acquitted themselves well. If United and the Blues could be compared on one special point, it would be the almost marvellous coherency, and ductility of the Sheffield defence. The Greeks were greater warriors than the Trojans, but it took them some years to make a breach in the walls of Troy. The Blues on Saturday could not beat down the walls of Sheffield, for the trifarious halves backs, and custodian presented one solid phalanx-like front against which the Everton forwards hurled themselves ceaselessly in a vain effort to disorganise it.


The Sheffielders got to business straight away, displaying great resolution and confidence. Rafferty and Balmer were none too reliable during early operations, and the visitors were able to make some dangerous breaches. In the half-back lines, Wilkinson took the eye directly. He is a sturdy little parcel, and very keen and wide-awake, with a rare instinct for appearing on the right spot. Always cool and collected, his passes were models of precision and sound judgement, being distributed so cleverly and wisely that he was distinctly a pivot when the game revolved. Harry Makepeace was the one real live half on the home side, and he offered the most effective opposition to the early onslaught of the visitors. Harris was in difficulties for there was a pretty under standing between Hardinge, Kitchen and Simmons, which wanted some fathoming. The sharp, decisive work of the visitors was rewarded with a goal at the end of eight minutes, and it must be freely admitted that during the preliminaries and finishing touches the home defence seemed thoroughly out-maneuvered, for Kitchen finally outwitted Scott with a very pretty but dexterous shot.

The first ten minutes were not encouraging to the Blues, for Brelsford's attentions to Turner were so tenacious that the Evertonian was more or less under a cloud until late in the game. The close frontal attack of the Blues were masterpieces in their way; but Wilkinson was always on Freeman's heels, and both Brooks and Benson played on to the champion scorer with such persistent aggressiveness that he was never in possession of the ball long enough to get up full steam, Coleman and Young were both clever. In manipulation, but they were harassed so mercilessly by the Sheffield halves that their plans seldom matured. The solitary success of the Blues was the outcome of bold open play in which Michaels contributed largely to Young's success and on the whole the Kirkdale lad made a most favourable debut.


On the strength of Everton's equalising goal it might be safe to assume that a more open method of attack would have proved more effective in piercing the United defence. The inside trio relied, however, on strictly orthodox methods leaving enterprise severely alone. One solo effort of Young's, a kick at rather long range, had the lynx-eyed Leivesley well beaten, but the ball's line of fight was six inches out. Had Young scored it might have turned the tide of victory. Everton's close combined plan of attack suited Brooks, and Benson, who launched themselves at the forwards without fear of favour. They did not rely so much on securing the ball as barring the progress of the forwards at all forwards at all haxards, and consequently Freeman in particular, Young, and Coleman were continually bustled of the ball, which was promptly amazed by the watchful Sheffield halves. They were tough, rough, customers those two grim, burly backs compared with whom Balmer and Macconachie were gentle and cavalier. It is questionable whether Freeman has ever had such a shaking up, for he usually treats backs with scant ceremony. The United attack was nothing like so subtle and atylish as that of the Blues, but it was much more effective in shaking the opposing defence. It was particularly noticeable when the Blades regained the lead, as the culmination of a sudden swift, decisive raid, in which all the opposing Blues were more or less weak, and vacillating, even Scott, being cleverly outwitted by the nimble sparkling Kitchen. This was the state of affairs at the interval. There was no further scoring in the latter half, and the game was fought out fast and furiously on the same lines, the Blades' defence always offering an impregnable front to the Everton attacks, which were splendidly conceived and gallantly executed, but all to no purpose for Leivesley kept watch and ward in irreproachable fashion, emerging and robbing Freeman with remarkable cleverness when he seemed certain to equalise. Sturgess, also on the point of equalising, tripped Coleman, without any intervention from Mr. Green, whose arbitrament generally did not merit approval. The Blues finished up brilliantly in the last twenty minutes, without, however, quite deserving to be on terms. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and Macconnachie, backs, Rafferty, Harris, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs, Michaels, Coleman, Freeman, Young, and Turner forwards. Sheffield United: - Leivesley, goal, Benson, and Ranoka, backs, Brelsford, Wilkinson, and Sturgess, half-backs, Walton, Simmons, Kitchen, Hardinge, and Evans, forwards. Referee A. Green.



October 18, 1909. The Liverpool Daily Post.

Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 9)

Everton met a chapter of accidents at Colne, where they suffered defeat by two goals to nil. In the first place Stevenson was unfortunate enough to place the ball through his own goal. Then a more serious accident follows which Pratt and Stevenson to retire before the interval, and in the second half the Blues played with nine men. Not withstanding the severe handicap, Everton played good football, but Leiws settled the issue by getting a second goal for Colne. Under the circumstances, Everton were fortunate to escape so lightly, although at times were quite as good as their opponents. Everton: - Berry goal, Stevenson and Meauier, backs, Pratt, Borthwick, and Adamson half-backs Jones Lacey, Gourlay, Anderson, and Mountford, forwards.


October 21, 1909. Evening telegraph

Jack Bell, the famous Dumbarton player, who in turn assisted Everton, Celtic, and Preston North End has finally retired from the arena he has so much adorned. In his day Bell played six times for Scotland against England, and it is somewhat remarkable that he has played in these matches on the right and left wings as well as in the centre.


October 23, 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo.

At Goodison Park. Teams: - Everton: - Bolsover, goal, Clifford, and Godhard, backs, Rafferty, Webster, and Davies, half-backs, Michaels, Kay, Jones Anderson, and Mountford, forwards. Northern Nomads: - J.W.Swann, goal, C. Armstrong, and J.C.Bardsley, backs, F.W. Littlejohn, R. Hayden, and F.V. Hall, half-backs, J. McKenna, E. Mansfield, H. Latham, H. Henton, and C.O. Salt, forwards. Referee Mr. H. T. Halliday. In the first minute McKenna got nicely away and centred beautifully, Bolsover failed to fist away and Heaton missed a glorious chance of scoring. Then Michaels was busy at the other end with a brilliant shot from the line, which Swann rather misjudged, and before play could be removed from the Nomads goal, Kay placed the first goal to Everton's credit. Then Clifford miskicked, and Latham promptly pounced on the sphere and easily made the score level. McKenna frequently led promising movements, and Davies and Godhard found him a worthy opponent. Mountford broke away and with a long kick transferred to Jones, who took the ball on the run, and with an oblique shot placed Everton ahead. Michaels had the Nomads defence in a fix with a fine centre, but play was removed before Swann's services were needed. Long passing was the order of the Everton forwards. Under the conditions it was more likely to prove profitable than the close order. A perfect deluge now swept over the ground, and the game was suspended, the players retiring until the storm abated. Anything like a reliable criticism of the new Everton players was under the conditions almost impossible. Webster exhibited some soft touches, and his passes to the forwards were nicely placed. Godhard and Davies were not too sure against the Nomads' right wing. Kay served some accurate passes to Michaels and Bolsover got rid of several awkward shots cleverly. When play resumed Latham hit the upright after Godhard had miskicked. Kay scored a third goal for Everton from a past by Michaels, and Mountford with a terrific shot, which Swann failed to hold, got a fourth point. From close range Latham scored for Nomads. Jones scored again for Everton. Half-time Everton Reserves 5 goals, Northern Nomads 2.

Jones scored sixth and seventh goals for Everton. Anderson scored the eighth. Mansfield and McKenna scored for the Northern Nomads.



October 25, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.



Woolwich Arsenal surprised even their own followers on Saturday in defeating Everton by the only goal scored during the game. There was a time –not so long ago, either –when such a result might have been regarded as quite a commcuplate, but so far this season the Arsenal players have done nothing to merit confidence in the minds of their supporters, for they had practically gone all to pieces. Prior to the game under notice they could only boast of one success as the result of nine engagements, with by far the worst goal record in the League. It could not by any stretch of the imagination be urged that they deserved to carry off the honours on Saturday; rather was their success due to an apparent indifference on the part of their opponents at a time when a solid foundation to success lay within their grasp. There was absolutely no finish worthy the mention on either side; at the same time the Evertonians were the greater delinquents by reason of the fact that they had more opportunities. Practically the same players have represented the Everton club in the last four engagements, and not a point had been forthcoming. This is quite an unusual experience, calling for careful consideration, as there can be no getting beyond the fact that the forwards after their extended trial have been found sadly wanting. It is all very well to provide spectators with delightful footwork, but in these days of keen competition goals are required in addition –and plenty of them.


The first and second periods of the game stood out in marked contrast. In the former but little exception could be taken to the general character of the play, which in all respects, save one, reached a fairly high standard. In the second portion the fare provided would not have done credit to second rate organisations, and the inability of reputed players to rise to an occasion came as a big surprise. Open goals and favourable chances alike went a-begging, and the interval under ordinary circumstances should have found the Evertonians in an unassailable position. They, however, had frittered away their opportunities by indulging in too much finesse, and sufficient of this was done in Saturday's game to last at any rate for the remainder of the year. The adoption of more dashing methods continued with greater danger, when in front goal, would be a welcome departure from what in recent contest have become recognised principes. The goal, which decided the issue came after the second half, had been in progress some twenty minutes, and was the outcome of an unfortunate mistake by Borthwick. The heavy ground had told its tale upon several of the players, still this it self could surely not account for such an indifferent exhibitions. The Evertonians had a chance of retrieving twice in the closing stages of the game, but they failed in the same remarkable fashion that characterised their attempts throughout.


As can readily be gathered, the players generally did little to enhance their reputations. Dealing with the forwards, all hopes were centred upon Freeman, but there was not that assistance forthcoming from the inside men to warrant his success. All who follow Everton football are acquainted with the crack marksman's methods, yet only on two or three occasions during the game did he get the ball in a favourable position, and had the worst of ill-luck in not scoring. When the backs were under pressure neither Coleman nor Young rendered assistance to the halves, and their shooting generally was execrable. The wingmen were not kept well employed; still, when they were in possession there was not that grit and determination that are usually identified with their movements. The half-backs contributed some very useful work during the first portion of the game where they opened out innumerable chances for the forwards. Borthwick did very well during this period, but the heavy ground eventually told upon him and in the closing stages he was frequently in difficulties. Balmer was the more reliable of the backs, for the work of Macconnachie was brilliant and moderate in turn, while Scott kept a good goal, and was evidently beaten by the heavy ground and greasy ball, which he reached but could not stay its course to the net. The Arsenal played a hard robust game, and none more so than Gray, the beneficiary. Still, like Everton, they displayed very little judgement in a game in which there were many possibilities. Teams : - Arsenal: - McDonald goal, Shaw, and Gray, backs, Ducat, Sands, and McEnchrane, half-backs, Greenaway, Beney, Thompson, Lawrence, and Neave, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris Borthwick, and Makepeace half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young, and Turner, forwards.



October 26 1909. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.

Lancashire Senior Cup Round Two

The second round of the Lancashire Cup competition was reached yesterday, when Blackpool visited Goodison Park. The weather was fine, and there were about 2,000 people present when the teams appeared as follows: - Everton: - Scott goal, Macconnachie, and Meunier backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Lacey, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards. Blackpool: - Fiske, goal, Crewsdson, and Whittingham, backs, Connor, Drain, and Clarke, half-backs, Dawson, Morley, Miller, Elmore, and Cox, forwards . Everton led off, and the Blues' left wing at once threatened danger, but the ball went outside. Then Blackpool advanced, and Miller hesitated a little too long when favourably placed but his final shot went behind. Everton next took up he attack, and from the centre Lacey obtained possession, and with a beautiful ground shot, he placed the ball into the far corner of the net. Play hovered near the centre for some time, and the next diversion came from a fine run and centre by Turner. White captured the sphere and sent in a beautiful shot, which Fiske cleverly saved by falling full length on the ground. Some pretty effective passing between Turner, White, and Freeman resulted in Harris, after some tricky footwork, putting in a fast shot, which Fiske neatly handled. Following this, the Blackpool forwards found an opening on the left wing, and after Cox's centre had been temporarily cleared, Clarke returned the ball, which went for a corner. Dawson took the corner kick, and dropped the ball nicely in the corner of the goal. Scott missed fielding the ball, which went into the net off his face. With the sides level, Everton pressed hard to regain the lead, and twice Freeman was within a hair's breath of doing the trick. Sharp eventually provided Freeman with his opportunity, and, with the Blackpool custodian out of his goal, Freeman rather easily placed the ball into the net. A flashing oblique shot from Dawson went just out of Scott's reach, but was a trifle wide. Sharp was responsible for providing his colleagues with several fine openings, but they dallied about instead of firing at Fiske. A smart run and centre by Cox found the Everton defence unprepared, and Morley pouncing upon the leather, equalised for Blackpool. A few minutes later, however, the Blues were again operating in front of Fiske, and Lacey parting with the ball to Freeman, who was unmarked, the home pivot again again Everton the lead. For some time after this the Everton forwards quite monopolised the attack, and displayed some clever footwork, without, however, troubling Fiske. Lacey was just prevented from getting through by Fiske running out and blocking the Evertonian's final effort. An excellent passing sequence by the Blackpool forwards eventually relieved the pressure, and Miller was decidedly unlucky with a shot, which struck the foot of the upright. Then Freeman drove a terrific shot inches over the bar. So far the game had been conducted in capital spirit, and although the footwork of Everton was undoubtedly well executed, and often tied the Blackpool defence in a knot, the visitors displayed some excellent points. A brilliant drive from Sharp was well saved by Fiske. Half-time Everton 3 goals, Blackpool 2.

Right from the restart the Blues bore down on the Blackpool defence, and Freeman getting well ahead sent in a shot, which Fiske saved and pushed behind, while on the ground. From the resultant corner kick, Sharp missed an open goal. Crewson's ankle was damaged through a collision with Freeman, and he retired for the trainer's attention. Drain handled within the penalty area in attempting to stop a Freeman advance, and Sharp easily scored from the penalty kick . Crewsdon resumed, but he limped about, and after clearing an Everton raid he again retired. Miller was well through the Everton lines, but he made poor use of a fine opening. Fiske was deservedly applauded for two fine saves from Turner, and Sharp. A smart run and accurate centre by Turner enabled Freeman to score the fifth goal for Everton. fiske was responsible for several clear saves. He took exceptional risks in dealing with Freeman's rushes, and often got the ball from seemingly impossible positions. Freeman again got through the Blackpool defence in his best style, and scored a sixth goal. Crewsdon ankle was badly twisted in his collision with Freeman. Everton were easily the better side, although in the initial half, the difference between the combatants was not so marked. After the change of ends, however, the Blues quickly and unmistakably displayed their superiority, so that their success was decisive and complete. Result Everton 6 goals, Blackpool 2.



October 1909