Everton Independent Research Data


October 2, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
In fair weather or foul Newcastle United are welcome in Liverpool. The Novocastrian team stands for all that is stylish and scientific in football art, and it will be a sorry day for the game when the “Geordies” fall from their high estate. Luckily for other clubs, Newcastle's cleverness does not save them from being off colour just as much as their neighbours. Most clubs have some besetting sin; the Tynesiders often suffer from a superfluity of superiority, which tempts them to think less of actual scoring than indulging their taste for subtle finesse and dainty footwork. Now subtle finesse and dainty footwork. Now, Everton were out to win on Saturday, defence which was not only intrinsically clever, but in no mood for allowing their opponents to show off their polished methods with impunity. Newcastle “got there” several times, but they were much too deliberate about administering the coup de grace to Scott, for that prince of custodians should have bitten the dust twice at least/. On the first occasion the visitors treated the 25,000 spectators to an amazingly clever bout of pedal artistry which completely mystified the home defenders, and finally gave two of the forwards a perfect opening quite at close quarters to Scott, who had precious little room for averting disaster. With reckless nonchalance the invaders did everything they ought to have done, and so Scott had a kind of miraculous deliverance from certain defeat. It proved the turning point in the game, for Newcastle had thrown away the lead, which might have disheartened the Blues.

Elated by such an unexpected escape, the Blues replied with a most determined onslaught, which resulted in mixing up completely the Newcastle defence. The Blues were all over their opponents, and strongly entrenched in the goalmouth across which they swung the ball backwards and forwards until Burton turned a clever return of Beare's to account by directing the restless sphere into the net. We grumble often, and with reason, at much aimless flabby football nowadays, but the getting of the goal was bold and exhilarating, and roused the thousands of spectators to genuine enthusiasm. In the opening stages the home defenders were inclined to be a bit shaky, but as the game proceeded they got the measure of the Geordies, and so maintained their lead to the interval. Newcastle's methods of attack were more stylish than Everton's. Wilson was as usual, the most interesting unit the visitors' front line, and delighted with his dexterity, and originality; but his heart was not really in his work, and he seldom exerted himself beyond the point of easy-going manipulation. Of course, Wilson had a mastermind behind him in Hay. The Scottish international was by no means finely trained, and did the maximum of work with the minimum of effort, yet, like Wilson, he did not appear to take the game seriously; nevertheless he kept Everton's fiery right wing pretty cool.

Fleetwood is rapidly making a reputation as a general utility man, and after proving himself a trustworthy pivot he was promoted on Saturday to lead the attack. There is crudeness about Fleetwood, which enhances the value of his play, and suggest plenty of room for further development. Especially should be cultivating directness of method, because he seems inclined to go the longest way round and give his colleagues similar pilgrimages. Fleetwood should learn a little of Wilson's trickery and dexterity, and attack along the lines of least resistance, and thus concentrate his effort instead of distributing his forces in tactless fashions. Fleetwood is a diamond in the rough, and his energy originality, and enterprise could be moulded into something highly artistic, and prove most valuable assets. The executive should be well advised to allow the present combination an extended trial. A new left wing, which can beat Newcastle United, should have every chance to gain further distinction. In the second half Davidson scored Everton's second goal in most convincing style, and the Blues dual success was the direct outcome of both wings working in harmony. Burton's bold methods pleased even more than Davidson's and the inside man gave evidence of being a marksman of power and of an enterprising bent. In the matter of distribution Fleetwood is generosity itself; but he must cultivate more restraints and hold his wings together and then we shall see a much-improved line off attack. Of course Fleetwood found Low a very substantial shadow to escape from, and he was doubtless wise in anticipating the attentions of the great centre-half and parting with the ball instead of attempting uselessly to break through an impregnable defence. Bob Young played a robust game, but Low's towering figure was seen at every point of vantage and he was unquestionably the strong man of his team. Teams : - Everton: - Scott goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace half-backs, Beare Jefferis, Fleetwood, Burton, and Davidson, forwards. Newcastle United: - Lawrence, goal, McCracken, and Whitson, backs, Willis, Low, and Hay, half-backs, Duncan, Metcalfe, Kelly, Stewart, and G. Wilson, forwards.

October 9, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton had rather an unfortunate experience at Sheffield on Saturday, and one cannot blink the fact that the team is by no means so well balanced as it ought to be. It is perfectly true that the United eleven are tough customers to deal with when operating on their own soil, but this scarcely affords a sufficient excuse for Everton's failure. In the opening stages of the encounter the visitors gave promise of putting up a sterling fight against their opponents, and it is only fair to say that the game throughout was never lacking in interest. Where the Evertonians failed was in the weakness of their forward line. During the first quarter of an hour they had at least three opportunities of finding the Sheffield net but on each of these Brooks managed to intercept the leather. Later on the Everton front line endeavored to pursue activities but they were rarely able to escape the vigilance of the home half-backs, who led by Wilkinson, hung with terrier like tenacity on to them. There was never any great disparity between the teams, but United were always the steadier side, and they thoroughly deserved the two points gained.

The game had been in progress less than ten minutes when the home side paved the way to victory. Evans flying down the wing, was upset with rather scant ceremony by Stevenson, and from the free kick Simmons scored with a well-directed shot that curled into the corner of the net. Then followed a period of pretty but futile football, and there was only a goal between the teams when they crossed over. The restart gave Sheffield a somewhat sensational goal. Connor from the centre line outstripped all opposition, and forced a corner. The place kick was perfect, and Evans meeting the ball with his head, scored a really brilliant goal. Having obtained a comfortable lead, the home side were content to take matters a little easily and Everton ought certainly to have roused themselves to a greater degree than they did. As it was the game proceeded rather tamely until ten minutes from time when a curious penalty gave them a goal. Beare was about to shoot within the prescribed area, when the Sheffield custodian deliberately held him, and the referee at once ordered a penalty kick . This was entrusted to Young, who scored with a shot that might have come from a gattling gum.

The Everton defence was all that could be desired, and Scott was in no way to blame for the two shots that passed him. The manner in which he intercepted at least two ground shots from Evans, probably the best forward on the field, evoked the admiration of the spectators. Macconnachie, happily fully restored to health and vigorous, played a wonderfully good game, and Makepeace and Harris had much to do in keeping out the home forwards. The front line was frankly, disappointing. There was neither that cohesion or dash which is essential for the getting of goals, and there will have to be a distinct improvement if they mean to improve their position in the League competition. Fleetwood was so closely watched by Wilkinson that his efforts were completely neutralised and the wings were scrappy in their work. Jefferis did several good things on his own account, but they counted for nothing; and neither Davidson nor Beare did themselves full justice. On Saturday's form the Sheffeilders must be regarded as a distinctly useful side. Wilkinson as we have indicated, was the dominating factor both in offence and defence. Brooks played an excellent game at full back, and Kitchen at centre forward kept his wings together with admirable judgement. Teams: - Sheffield United: - Leivesley goal, Smith, and Brooks, backs, Brelsford, Wilkinson, and Sturgess, half-backs, Connor, Hardinge, Kitchen, Simmons, and Evans, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs Harris R. Young, and Makepeace half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Fleetwood, Burton and Davidson forwards. Referee A. Pellowe.

October 9, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton were full value for their points they earned at the expense of Crewe Alexandra. The contest throughout was keenly fought, and there was much good footwork from both sides, although the Everton forwards were inclined to overdo it, and thus render most of their preliminary work abortive. There was a remarkable evenness about the play in the initial half; and although there was no score when the interval arrived, the contest was full of interest. In the second moiety Everton was immeasurably superior to their opponents, but they did not make the most of their chances. The forwards worked out some splendid positions, but over-elaboration undid all their good work. Then the masterly custodianship of Box rendered futile many of the Everton forwards' finishing movements. Gracie eventually found the net with a fine shot, and just before the finish Smith, unfortunately for his side, put the ball through his own goal, in attempting to divert a short range shot from lacey. Bromilow had little opportunity to display his ability, being admirably covered by Meunier and Bardsley, and Allan and Weller played a capital half-back game. Gracie although he worked untiring was not a successful pivot. He bungled several excellent openings in the most aggravating fashion. Chedgzoy and Gault were clever, wingers while Lacey presence added to the effectiveness of the front line. Everton: - Bromilow, goal, Meunier and Bardsley, backs, Allan, Weller, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Lacey, Gracie, Gourlay, and Gault, forwards.

October 9, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Lancashire Senior Cup Round Two
Everton won their second round tie in the Lancashire Senior Cup pretty, at Preston against North End. The North Lancashire club in notoriously keen on doing well in this competition, but a clever all-round team handsomely beat them. Everton's forward combination was excellent and largely the reason of their success by a 4-1 margin. Moreover, the half-backs played admirably, both in defence and attack, while there was no fault to found with Meunier and Macconnachie. It is true that North End were without Thompson their centre-forward, for the greater part of the first half, but they really never looked like holding their rivals. There was a lack of understanding forward, and the defence at times left itself open to defeat. Everton made two changes Meunier took the place of Stevenson, who is suffering from a sprained ankle, and Jefferis who is at Stoke, Lacey playing in his place. Preston kicked off, and advanced on the right. J. W. Thompson shot across the goal, Kirby was nicely placed, when he shot against Macconnachie. Fleetwood foraged hard, and was provided with a glorious opening by Davidson, half a dozen yards from the goal, but he hesitated and allowed McCall to beat him. Play was evenly distributed though Scott was not troubled, while on the other hand McBride had to run out to kick clear as Fleetwood dashed in, Macconnachie performed finely, holding the Preston men in hand. Meantime the Preston team were only playing four forwards, Thompson having gone off the field through an injury to his eye. Everton were the clever side in nearly all departments. They were very keen, and after twenty-five minutes they took the lead. Beare out in a difficult long shot, which McBride handled, round the post. Direct from the flag kick Burton headed into the net. Very soon afterwards Lacey scored a second and then a third. Everton's combination and passing was far superior to that of North End. Lacey, and Fleetwood ran in past Rodway, and the former shot into the net after thirty-five minutes. Five minutes later he repeated this performance with a swift ground shot. Beare lost the ball, but Lacey raced across, secured possession from Wareing and centred beautifully. Again Burton did the trick with a header, and Everton led 4-0 at the interval. The first half resolved itself, into a duel between five clever forwards, whose passing was accurate and opportunism exceedingly smart. The North End defence went to pieces, and McBride was not free from blame. He might have saved two of the goals. Thompson turned out in the second half. Resuming Everton were soon attacking, and Davidson had a hard shot charged down, Burton had a good try from long range, which was wide of the mark. Again Davidson was in the picture with a brilliant dash which almost brought a goal, the ball cannoning off Rodway. Nothing came of the corner, and North End made one of their few attacks. R. Thompson making a wretched attempt. Val Harris had a shot from 25 yards range, the ball serving and missing the post by inches with McBride beaten. Davidson and Fleetwood were badly fouled by Rodway. Everton eased up, and Preston North End had more of the game, but their forward line lacked finish. R. Thompson scored their only goal. Result Preston North End 1, Everton 4. Teams: - Preston North End: - McBride, goal, English, and Rodway, backs, Johnson, McCall, and W. Wareing, half-backs, J.W. Thompson, Green, R. Thompson, Kirby and R.F. Turner, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Meunier, and Macconachie (Captain), backs, Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace, half-backs, Beare, Lacey, Fleetwood, Burton, and Davidson, forwards. Referee Mr. Pellow (Oldham).

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Tuesday 10 October 1911
Preston yesterday, in fine weather, before 2,000 spectators. Everton were the superior team, and led at the interval by four goals, scored by Burton (two) and Lacey (two). In the second portion of the game play mostly favoured Everton. The home men broke away on the left R. Thompson scoring from Turner's centre. McCall was injured, but soon resumed. A moderate game ended in favour of Everton. result; Everton four goals, Preston North End one goal.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 16 October 1911
At Goodison Park, Liverpool, in fine though dull weather. Everton were at full strength, and Oldham were without Cook. Play for a time was evenly distributed, both keepers being called on. The visitors were, perhaps the more dangerous side, and once forced four corners in succession. Later Everton were awarded a penalty and R. Young scored from the kick. Interval; Everton 1 goal, Oldham none. Resuming before 12,000 people, Oldham were early aggressive and Donnachie and Jones narrowly missed, whilst at the other end Davidson had a chance which he allowed to slip. The visitors played with great dash, and Moffatt equalized. Scott saved brilliantly from Donnachie. The visitors were the most dangerous side in the second half. Result; Everton 1 goal, Oldham Athletic one goal.

October 16 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The tussle between the lusty “Babes” and the luckless Blue fulfilled anticipations. Oldham have a reputation, and they fully justified it on Saturday, as they bustled the Toffees about rustlessly by means of vigorous methods and ceaseless worrying. It was easy to see Everton were the more polished lot, but they were distinctly weak in the centre. Young and Fleetwood have defects in common, and the faster the pace the less effective these deliberate players are. The result of slow thinking and lumbersome action in a centre forward is extremely difficult to neutralise by other more desirable qualities. It was hoped Fleetwood would develop more craft, alertness, and keenness in his new position, but up to date he remains the slowest man of a pretty fast line. Fleetwood did many admirable things on Saturday, and the careful feeding of his wings gave his colleagues all the freedom they could desire. His nomadic tendencies, however, did not promote the necessary cohesion, and hence the attack was frequently finessing to regain advantage, which had been practically frittered away. A centre forward who is slow to see his chances must necessary always be late in endeavouring to profit by them. Everton certainly want more dash and initiative in the centre.

The “ Latics” are certainly a useful, well-balanced side, but they have little method, and lose quality. But they understand how to keep moving, and make others move. Donnachie is their best forward, and he was the best on the field in the midst of a crowd of mediocrities at any rate, Oldham's left winger showed more enterprise than any of the Blues, and his placing of three successive corner kicks was so cunningly accurate as to astonish the spectators. His shooting throughout was powerful, skilful, and judicious. Broad sprints well, and controls the ball neatly, but he usually finishes in a fog. Jones boasts international honours, and was transferred last winter from Chelsea. He did not shine much owing to Bob Young's attention and the fact that Donnachie was plied too well. The half-backs proved a tireless trio, and were splendidly supported by two capable backs. The Everton wings were always promptly challenged and partinaciously worried off the ball. Burton proved a most capable back. He has a neat compact frame, and carries no lumber though his weight is 11 st 10lbs. Jefferis and Beare found Burton fearless and adept opponents, who saw to it that neither of the Blues shot with comfort.

It has previously been suggested that the Blues' weakness lay in inability to keep their line of attack taut when they had manceurved themselves into a favourable position. There was usually just sufficient hesitancy and dalliance to allow either Hodson or Buxton to break in, and that meant to break up the line for all particaly purposes, for it the ball came Fleetwood's way he preferred to pass it back, or somewhere else, rather than dash through or shoot on his shoot on his own account. The centre forward invariably needs plenty of confidence as well as a strong flavour of venturesomeences. On both sides there was plenty of fast work, because the six halves were all grafters, but their tireless energy played as with the attack, and tore the combination on both sides to ribbons. About ten minutes from the interval the Blues made a sudden raid, sailing in really capital formation until the penalty area was reached when Burton fell a victim to Hodson's robustiousness. Mr. Clover promptly awarded the Blues a verdict, of a penalty kick , with the result that Bob Young scored his fifth penalty goal without a misfire.

The interval arrived without the “Latics” getting on level terms, and Everton were certainly on velvet in holding the lead. It was only nature that the game should slacken somewhat in the second moiety, for the first “forty-five “ had been more then strenuous Macconachie who had stalled off the irrepressible Broad repeatedly up to the interval, now showed signs of flagging. After several abortive ventures into Everton territory. Broad succeeded with the assistance of Jones and Morrison in stalling off the home defenders. Moffatt was well up amongst his forwards when the ball came his way, and the sharp-witted half showed splendid alertness in making his way towards Scott in double quick time, and propelling the ball past the latter into the net at a most difficult oblique angle. It served to emphasize the fact that all the “Latics” were keenly alive to possibilities. Up to this point the “Babes” were flagging a bit, but Moffatt's goal acted like a magic tonic which so revived their energies that for some time Everton were quite unable to effectually resist their fierce onslaughts, which frequently culminated in bouts of capital short passing, and threatened to overwhelm the disconcerted Blues. Scott was in great jeopardy, but his incomparable skill and dexterity carried him safely through a pretty stiff ordeal. At no period of the game had the Blues exhibited such superiority, and so a division of points was a soon not to be sneezed at. Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal Stevenson and Macconnachie (Captain) backs, Harris, R. Young, and Makepeace, half-backs Beare, Jefferis, Fleetwood, Burton, and Davidson forwards. Oldham Athletic: - Matthews goal, Hodgson, and Buxton, backs Moffatt, Walders, and Wilson, half-backs, Broad, Martson, Jones, Evans, Montgomery, and J. Donnachie, forwards. Referee W. C. Clover.

October 16, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Although Everton scored the first goal at Oldham (Pinkney), they were eventually well beaten by 5 goals to 2. The game was a keen one, and both sides indulged in some capital footwork . Everton: - Bromilow goal, Stevenson, and Bardsley, backs, Allen, Weller and Grenyer, half-backs Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Magner, Gourlay, and Gault, forwards.

Lincolnshire Chronicle - Monday 23 October 1911
The fixture between the reserve teams of Bolton Wanderers and Everton at Goodison Park, provided a fine game of football. Pinkney scored for the home team early on, but Bolton then replied with three within seven minutes by Hughes, and Egerton (two) -but just before the interval Gracie reduced the leeway. Afterwards Magner (two) and Pinkney scored for Everton, who prevailed by 5 goals to 3. For the winners Bardsley defended well, but Seddon was not very noticeable. Weller, Gault, and Chedgzoy were prominent in attack. On the Bolton side, Tyldesley, Slater, A. Gimblett, and Hughes were the best.

October 23, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
When victory crowns the efforts of a team, it is generally considered ungracious to mention any qualification. The province of the critic, however, is to try, so far as in himself to give a cogent and well reasoned summing up of the game. This is not always a pleasant duty, but it is one which accredited writers rarely shirk. On the present occasion there is fortunately no necessity to decry Everton's performances, but we must certainly quality it by saying that the two points were rather luckily earned. The Wanderers were almost always as good as their opponents, and in the second half particularly they played such a bustling game that the visitors' defence was more than once rudely shaken. It must further be remembered that they were without the services of Hunter for nearly the whole of the game, that player having injured his head while jumping at the ball with Stevenson. With their front rank out of gear they struck pluckily to their game, and but for a misunderstanding between Edmondson and Baverstock five minutes from time, the game would no doubt have terminated as it should have done –in a draw.

The opening stages of the game were all in favour of the Evertonians, Jefferis being early conspicuous with two delightful shots. Another from Lacey went wrong, and Bolton, getting down made matters very warm for both the visitors' backs, Smith wriggling through, missed an open goal, but a moment later he made very ample mends by scoring with a swift low shot. As the game progressed the pace increased agreeably, and Lacey, in spite of a tendency to lie too far back, sent in a couple of tremendous drives that might well have scored. However, he was destined to reap his reward, as ten minutes from the interval he took a pass from the right wing and scored a perfect goal.

On crossing over the Wanderers as we have already indicated proceeded to play aggressive football, and more than once it looked as though they might sweep both Stevenson and Macconnachie aside. Their work, however, disjointed as it was through the absence of Hunter, was ineffective in its finish, and whenever Scott was called upon, he did his duty admirably. So it was that the sides were on level terms until within a few minutes of time. Then the Evertonians who had slightly rearranged their line of attack, got down, and Burton scored. It was what is generally called in football parlance a “soft” goal, but, of course, it counted.

Naturally principal interest attached to the first appearance of Lacey in the centre forward position. Let it at once be said that his debut was all things considered, a satisfactory one. Apart from the fault to which we have already alluded, he distributed the ball well, and showed a positive appetite for shooting whenever an opportunity offered. It would be hard to judge him by one performance, but that the Irishman has football in him there cannot be the slightest doubt. Both the backs played well, and Harris and Makepeace did a rare amount of work. Jefferis was the pick of the forwards, though he seemed a little over anxious. Burton was occasionally clever, and this observation may be applied with equal truth to Davidson, but the forward line as a whole still left something to be desired.
The Boltonians are a brisk and energetic lot, and it is a question whether Barber the left half-back, was not the most brilliant player on the field. Baverstock played a typical game, and Vizard once again took everyone's eye, whilst Smith and Hilton both proved themselves serviceable inside men.

Teams: - Bolton Wanderers: - Edmonson, goal, Baverstock, and Feebury, backs, Marsh, Fay, and Barber half-backs, Hunter, Hilton, Bentley, Smith, and Vizard, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, R. Young and Makepeace, half-backs Beare, Jefferis, Lacey, Burton and Davidson forwards. Referee T. Robinson.

October 23 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton gave a highly satisfactory exhibition and gained a clever victory at the expense of Bolton Wanderers. The game opened in very brisk and exciting fashion, for four goals were scored within the first ten minutes, and the remarkable ease with which the Wanderers scored their three goals, after Everton had opened the scoring though Pinkney suggested that the Wanderers could put the ball into the net as and when they liked. However, Everton quickly recovered from their fright and before the interval Gracie notched Everton's second point. In the second period the Wanderers were completely outplayed and although their defence got through a tremendous amount of work, creditably they were forced to yield to superior tactics. Then Everton scored through Pinkney and Magner (twice) and eventually won a comfortable margin. J. Seddon, who lately did duty with Tranmerer Rovers occupied the left full back position in the Blues eleven and gave a very creditable performance. Although he lacks inches, he possesses pace, and displays good judgement. Weller did splendid service in the intermediate line, and Chedgzoy and Gault best represented the forwards. The inside trio Pinkney, Magner, and Gracie –mulled several fine openings in the initial half, but afterwards they made ample amends for their shortcomings . Everton: - Berry goal, J. Seddon, and Bardsley, backs, Allan, Weller and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Magner, Gracie, and Gault, forwards.

Lincolnshire Chronicle - Monday 23 October 1911
The fixture between the reserve teams of Bolton Wanderers and Everton at Goodison Park, provided a fine game of football. Pinkney scored for the home team early on, but Bolton then replied with three within seven minutes by Hughes, and Egerton (two) -but just before the interval Gracie reduced the leeway. Afterwards Magner (two) and Pinkney scored for Everton, who prevailed by 5 goals to 3. For the winners Bardsley defended well, but Seddon was not very noticeable. Weller, Gault, and Chedgzoy were prominent in attack. On the Bolton side, Tyldesley, Slater, A. Gimblett, and Hughes were the best.

October 24 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Lancashire Senior Cup Round Three.
By the narrow margin of two goals to one, Everton made their exit from the Lancashire Senior Cup against Manchester United, at Old Trafford, yesterday. In some respect the Blues were unfortunate not to secure a draw at the lowest estimate for throughout the second half they were without the services of Robert Young, who badly twisted his knee. As a matter of fact, the accident occurred in the first fifteen minutes, and greatly handicapped the player, though he pluckily stayed on the field, but was quite unfit to resume after the interval. Manchester United were minus the services of Turnbull for a short time. At full strength throughout the second portion, they failed to improve upon their goal lead. The Everton forwards made few attacks, and indeed, all their efforts seemed to be concentrated on preventing a big margin of goals being recorded against them. It would perhaps have been wise to take some risks in defence with a view to pleasing home attacks for the equalising. For a Lancashire Cup-tie the football was of a very high standard, both sets of forwards showing cleverness in opening out attacks. Still there was a fatal inability near goal. United in particular had a number of glorious chances in the closing stages, but their shooting was weak and pretty footwork was overdone. The Everton defence came through a gruelling second half with credit. Scott gave particularly fine exhibitions. Occasionally Stevenson and Macconnachie were prone' to dally with the ball in front of their own goal, but both acquitted themselves well. Allan and Grenyer filled places vacated by Harris and Makepeace respectively, with credit, Grenyer doing well against the redoubtable Meredith. Beare was easily the best forward. In the first half he simply left Donnelly standing and was unlucky to have his perfect centres ill-used. On the United side, Holden and Duckworth were prominent in defence. Meredith was brilliant, and West did a lot of foraging work, and was always dangerous near goal. For the first ten minutes of the first half little was done, Everton had the wind, but United worked the more likely opening. Some beautiful passing by the Everton left wing placed Fleetwood in a glorious position. He shot wretchedly over the bar, but as a matter of fact this near approach to a goal encouraged Everton to redouble their efforts. Beare kept beating Donnelly and middling the ball perfectly. Unfortunately; Lacey and Burton frittered away openings. Two remarkably fine saves by Scott prevented United from taking the lead from the first really dangerous advance. Wall forced a corner off Stevenson, and the ball was headed to Meredith, whose shot Scott scooped out to West. The centre smartly returned to the other side of the goal, but Scott was equal to the occasion, and jumping across handled the ball out for Macconnachie to kick clear. This was a fortunate escape in more than one sense, because Grenyer switched the ball out to Beare, who veered into the centre and scored with a lovely screw shot. Lacey might easily have put on another, but missed the ball as it rolled across the goalmouth. Everton were quite the superior team at this stage of the game. As soon as the Everton defence began to take things easily. Manchester forced matters, and Halse scored with a rare drive into the far corner. West was an earnest worker, Scott saving a fast drive and a surprise header. Both the reserve half-backs Allan, and Grenyer, performed well, the latter holding grimsy to Meredith. There was a sensational incident just before the interval. With Scott out of his goal, every Manchester forwards attempted to score, with the exception of Turnbull. Macconnachie made an almost superhuman save, but West atoned for these blunders by giving United the lead from Wall's centre just on the interval. Everton soon felt their handicap in the second half. Fleetwood dropped into Young's position, and for some time the Blues were wholly on the defensive. Tremendous shots by Meredith and West were charged down. West also struck the bar, and Scott saved a header from Turnbull. Everton had lucky escapes, and could not get past the half-way line. West missed an open goal, and United at this time with holding their opponents pretty cheaply. Their attempts to score were exceedingly tame, however, as instance a bad miss by Bell with the goal untenanted. Allan saved a certain goal, and Halse shot wildly over. Everton continued to occupy the role of defenders, what time United pressed in front of goal and generally wasted openings. The visiting forwards were indifferently fed, Beare, who had done so well in the first half being neglected. The only incidents in a game that sadly deteriorated were injuries to Grenyer and Macconnachie. A corner to Everton was useless, but the referee spoiled one opening in the same attack that might have brought the equaliser. Teams: - Manchester United: - Edmonds goal, Holden and Donnelly, backs Duckworth, Whalley and Bell, half-backs, Meredith, Halse West, Turnbull, and West, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Allan R. Young, and Grenyer, half-backs Beare, Fleetwood, Lacey, Burton and Davidson. Forwards. Referee Mr. Hargreaves. (Blackpool).

Dundee Courier - Friday 27 October 1911
Forfar Athletic did a good stroke of business yesterday in fixing up Dorward, the ex- Everton and Montrose player. Dorward has just returned from the States, where has been residing during the past year. It will be remembered that he was the player who was transferred to Everton from Montrose, and for whom the Gable-Endies received the tidy sum of £100. Dorward a robust forward player and a fine shot. Forfar will play him jn one of the inside positions, and his inclusion should greatly strengthen the " Loons'" forward division.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 30 October 1911
Bradford City's experience at Everton was somewhat novel, although there was a memorable occasion five years ago when they were beaten at Goodison Park by a last minute goal in a Cup-tie. With that exception the Valley Paraders had always obtained one or more League points from their meetings with Everton. They have only themselves to blame that they did not share the points on Saturday. It was a flucky goal which decided this issue in Everton's favour, and from the writer's view of the occurence it certainly appeared that there was justification in the City's claim that the scorer was off-side. But even that questionable goal would have given Everton the verdict of Bradford City had taken advantage of their earlier op[portunities. The visitors played well enough to have had the game in hand at half-time, and would have had but for Bond's hessstitancy in shooting on one occasion when he had the goal at his mercy. Both sides played football of a genuinely fine quality, but it was Everton's game in the second half and the honours at the finish were deservedly theirs. Everton were making experiments in their forward line, and Gourlay who was the fifth centre forward whom they have tried this season, after havinbg his confidence shaken early on by the buferings he received from Torrance, recovered himself as the game advanced, and finished the hardest worker on the field. In point of merit and valuable service, however, no man won the home side equalled Davidson, the winger, who showed pace and a facility for quick turning that often had the defence of Robinson in difficulties. Bradford City did not shine much individually but up to half-time their methods were so effective, and there was such earnestness about the work of the whole side that they looked all over a winning team. The subsequent failure of their forwards to swing the ball about as they had done previously was due to the rally of the home half backs. makepeace fairly had the measures of Bond all through the game, and in the long run Logan who had been the most dangerous of the inside forwards, was rendered ineffective by the stubbornness of Fleetwood.

Lincolnshire Chronicle - Monday 30 October 1911
Burslem Port Vale just managed to overcom the Reserves of Everton by the odd goal in three, after a moderate game at Cobridge. The striking feature of the play was the feeble and ill-directed efforts of both sets of forwards, open goals being missed by Everton and the home nteam alike. Shelton failed to score from a penalty for Burslem in the first half, and the opening score, two minutes after the change of ends, was due to Weller, the Everton centre half, kicking the ball through his own goal. It was a clever effort by Cannon which scored Burslem's second point, and Everton's only goal was obatined by Gracie, who did very little else during the afternoon.


October 30, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.


In the ordinary course of events, Bradford City should have proved a big draw on Saturday to lovers of football in Liverpool. Truth to tell, however, the equality of football which has been served up this season at Goodison Park and Anfield has been such as is calculated to destroy the popularity of the game. We hear complaints that the standard of the football has deteriorated and that players nowadays are not zealous in their profession; yet on the other hand clubs have visited us who have played good, honest football, so the charge of indifference does not apply all round. At patient analysis of the case of our two premier organisations would probably disclose the fact that the main cause of weak and unsatisfactory play is due to one or two positions being badly filled. There is no doubt that Erverton's bete noire is the centre forward position. Sandy Young and Freeman proved themselves exceptionally gritted players, and hence the sudden descent to mediocrity has held the position somewhat up to ridicule. On Saturday Fleetwood retired in favour of Gourlay, who was thus afforded an opportunity of making a reputation –bubble of otherwise. The only favourable comment, which can be honestly made about Everton's latest “trial centre”, is that the blues secured a very lucky victory. The Blues' wing work and midfield finesse was of good quality; but Gourlay could not keeps his line in hand when it came to finishing, and so the inside trio were frequently rousted by Taylor and Campbell, a couple of stout hearted, cool headed reliable backs. A little adroit, confident manipulation of the ball and a strong finishing shot would have made a world of difference when good position had been successfully battled for.


Although the pivot of attack was seldom there at the “psychological moment” the forward line did quite well enough to merit commendation. Their methods were dainty and artistic, but without being convincing. Beare was even more prominent than usual with graceful, effective manipulation. There was much to please the eye generally, but good hard shooting was seldom indulged in on either side, though both custodians were in jeopardy at times. Bradford's combination was many superiors to Everton's and there seemed a nice understanding throughout their ranks, but, like Everton the Tykes were poor finishers and seemed unable to recognise the true strength of their position. O'Rourke played a dashing game, but with only Scott to beat three shot erratically. Bond was in good form, and there were some grand triangular duels between him, Makepeace and Macconnachie. The little man accomplished some charming centres, but his shooting was somewhat feeble. Davidson gave one of best exhibitions and scored the solitary goal, which gave victory to the Blues. Many are the admires of Everton's graceful left-winger, who is the poetry of motion itself and although artist well with the ball, and one who seldom resorts to aggressive tactics. His long strides and dexterity with the ball often perplexed Robinson and Campbell, and enabled him to centre the ball from the corner flag with unerring accuracy.


The first half was resolutely contested, both teams finessing energetically in the outfield, even if they proved impotent in the goal area. The pace was fast, but sad to say, it was a case of much ado about nothing. To do the Tykes justice, they were more effective and enterprising than their host, yet flattered but to deceive when it was necessary to exert themselves in real earnest. The interval arrivals without profit to either side, and with little prospect of either custodian being pestered. Bradford had practically shot their bolt when they returned, for they had not spared themselves in trying to run the home halves off their feet. Makepeace and Harris were in fine form and fairly reveled in their work even though they were occasionally well trounced by the lively boys from Manningham. Fleetwood had a heavy task in the centre, and after starting some what erratically he settled down to steady, judicious work and acquitted himself admirably. Although the forward work on both sides was not nearly incisive enough, there were numerous sterling bouts of play marked by capital combination and sharp decisive evolution, but seldom did such culminate in a slashing attack on the respective citadels. So many obvious chances had quite failed to eventuate that a draw seemed the only conclusion possible with the forwards in such a tickle frame of mind. But once again the unexpected happened. A quarter of an hour from the end a volley of Macconnachie's put the home left in action, whose judicious cross brought the whole Everton line into action, with the City defence holding out signals of distress. Beare, and Jefferis could not find a clear opening through the Bradford defenders being driven back almost to the goalmouth. Luckily Beare decided to cross the leather to the left and the ball happened to drop smugly for Davidson to pilot past Mellors. It was a well contested goal, ever though Davidson ran some risk of being ruled offside. Thus did Everton win cleverly at the finish, and by the victory as well as their improved play reinstate themselves in the good graces of their supporters. Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Gourlay, Burton Davidson forwards. Bradford City: - Mellors, goal, Campbell, and Taylor backs, Robinson, Torrance and MacDonald, half-backs, Bond Logan, O'Rourke, Blair, and Thompson forwards.



October 30, 1911. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.


Everton were soundly beaten at Burslem. There was a clean sheet at the interval, but afterwards the home side had matters all their own way, and won in decisive fashion. Berry saved a penalty kick; given for a foul on Murray, and Gracie scored Everton's orphan point. Everton now occupy the lowest position in the table. Everton: - Berry goal, Patterson, and R. Balmer backs, Allan, Weller, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Pinkney Gracie, Doran and Gault forwards.


October 1911