Everton Independent Research Data


October 2, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Harry Makepeace, the Everton half-back is to be accorded a second benefit by the Goodison club. At the meeting of the management Committee of the League, yesterday at Bolton, the benefit was sanctioned.

October 2 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Further changes have been made in the Everton team. At their meeting last evening, the directors chose the side to meet Middlesbrough at Goodison Park on Saturday, and two changes were made compared with the eleven beaten at Aston Villa. Both changes are of considerable interest, for Thompson, the ex-Leicester Fosse back, who has been showing fine form with the reserves, is to make his League debut, with Everton to the exclusion of Stevenson, while Bradshaw, who was in the Reserves team at outside left last Saturday, will appear at inside right. Houston and Fleetwood retain their position.

Athletic News - Monday 06 October 1913
The weakness of Rochdale’s inside forwards was largely responsible for their defeat at home by Everton Reserve.  Right through the game they played very poorly, except for occasional flashes by Allen.  Spink was the only forward to do himself justice, his fine sprints and accurate centres being the feature of the first half.  Everton were clearly the better side, and fully deserved their victory, which accrued as the result of an early goal scored by Wright.  During the game Everton had three players injured, and at one stage both full-backs were off the field together.  Chedgzoy and Nuttall played capital football for the winners, and Barton (full-back), and Milnes (right half-back) were the pick of the home team. 

Everton 2 Middlesbrough 0
[By Junius.]
Athletic News - Monday 06 October 1913
For twelve years the merry men of Middlesbrough have been endeavouring to win a League match at Goodison Park, and they are as far removed from success as ever. They brought a reorganized eleven on their last visit which never seemed like giving them their first victory of the season or checking their sequence of reverses on the Everton enclosure. Everton were experimenting with their eleven, for they tried their Leicester recruit, Thompson, at right full back, and on the day of the match Fleetwood reported a blood-poisoned hand, the result being that he local youth—Page—obtained from Rochdale, was given the centre-forward berth. These changes proved distinctly successful, and for the second time this season Everton managed to register a couple of goals in a game. The first half provided us with all the goals, and also the most interesting football in the match. Page led the attack in dashing style, and his example was copied the extreme wing men—Houston and Harrison—each whom showed capital form. The outside right made the most of every opportunity he received, and his centres were splendidly placed, the one which led to Browell's goal being a model of accuracy. Why he was not more frequently plied with the ball after the interval I cannot imagine; certainly the Everton half-backs were not noticeable for judicious placing their forwards, but even apart from this, Houston had exhibited such dash and skill prior to the change of ends that his comparative neglect was afterwards inexplicable. Harrison also shaped creditably, and never allowed the opposing backs free kick, while in his case as well the ball was crossed inwards in a highly commendable fashion. Page must complimented upon his first appearance in the Everton League team; he kept the ball well under control, plied his wing’s very judiciously, and -best all displayed a desire to score. It was quite refreshing to see a player in the Everton front rank endeavoring to find the net with sterling shots and daring drives. If only for this trait alone Page deserves extended trial
Strange to relate it was in the half-back division where Everton were worst served, for though the trio here were often noticeable in checking the advances of their rivals, they failed to keep in touch with their own forwards. Makepeace, although none too sound, was the best of the line, but the ankle trouble which has handicapped him of late prevented him from doing himself full justice. Wareing was scarcely fit to turn out, and he had to receive the trainer’s attentions at the interval. His indisposition showed itself in his play, for whereas he often robbed a Middleborough forward he was frequently at fault in disposing of the ball when he had secured possession. Harris was zealous, and this was his saving clause.   Nothing better could be desired than the defence exhibited by Maconnachie, while Thompson ably seconded his efforts, and the pair coped so effectively with the best attempts of the visitors, that Mitchell, in goal, was rarely requisitioned.  Middleborough, however, were mightily considerate towards their hosts and occasioned them the minimum of anxiety. A poor team are the Tees-siders on their showing in this game, for there was no definite purpose evinced by their movements, and their ideas of goal scoring were conspicuous by their absence. Yet in midfield their passing was neatly and cleverly accomplished, and the wing forwards at times gave their comrades openings that ought to have been utilized. All their tricky footwork employed in getting their forward machinery revolving was rendered abortive by the wretched weakness of the front line near goal.
Middlesbrough weak forwards
Kirby, in the centre, was responsible for many creditable moves, and there were several pretty exchanges between himself and the wingers on either side, but their endeavours fizzled out to painful puerility when near goal they treated Mitchell with the utmost consideration, and gave the Everton keeper no trouble whatever. The half-backs were more capable set, but they were not consistent. Malcolm accomplished much skillful work in dispossessing an opponent and juggling for position, but he was often faulty in his placing, which nullified his previous excellence. Davidson was the most reliable player in this department, and was unfortunate in having to be carried off the field in the last minute of play. In the centre Cook showed to advantage in the second half, and further behind Hisbent and Walker defended sturdily. The latter had some rare tussles with Houston, and generally had to acknowledge the mastery of the Celt. Davies could not be blamed for either goal debited against him. He dealt capably with what came his way, but, truth to tell, the respective custodians were not overburdened with work in this game.  Both goals were scored by Everton before half time.  Fifteen minutes after the start, Houston beat the defence, and sent across a delightful centre, for Browell to head the ball into the net Seven minutes later some neat play on the Everton left wing enabled Page to gain possession, and with an excellent long range drive the youthful centre forward gained his first goal in League football. Everton.—Mitchell: Thompson, Macconnachie (captain);  Harris, Wareing,  Makepeace; Houston, Bradshaw, Page, Browell, and Harrison. Middleborough.—Davies; Malcolm, Stirling; Walker; Davidson, Cook (H.), Malcolm; Stirling, Cook (J), F. Kirby, Windridge, and Nicholl.  Referee; Mr. L.N. Fletcher, Bury. 

October 6 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
It was not a great game at Goodison Park, but still there were several encouraging factors in Everton's display. Although the Blues have won three out of their six games played, their performances have left a lot to be desired, and the forwards have not blended together as they should have done. For the brief period of ten or fifteen minutes in the early part of the game on Saturday we saw the Blues' forwards in something like convincing form. Clever work on the wings was backed up by forceful play in front of goal, and, what was more, it bore refreshing fruit, for the two goals scored were worth rejoicing over. They were the result of the accurate precision which used to be a feature of the goals scored by Everton but, alas such thrills have been few, and far between for some time past. The pity of it was that this return to form was but short-lived, for in the second half, the forwards became disjointed, and their slackening of effort might easily have led to the visitors drawing level.

The young reserve centre-forward, Page, who the week before had scored four goals against Barnsley Reserves, fully justified his inclusion, brought about by Fleetwood being unfit. The Liverpool youth gave a most promising display. Although not as full of dash as Fleetwood, he is much more dangerous in shooting, and wastes no time in fancy work, but bangs the ball into goal whenever the opportunity offers. Houston showed up well at outside right, being speedy and resourceful, and both he and Harrison centred with unerring accuracy. Houston, however, was sadly neglected in the second half. Browell was unlucky not to score more than once, but he was faulty in the second half. The feature of the half-back play was the sound work of Makepeace who had a clever opponent in Stirling. He was the pick of the line, Wareing not showing his usual judgement in feeding the forwards. Macconnachie was sound as usual, and Thompson, who took the place of Stevenson at right full back, proved a most worthy substitute. Mitchell made one really clever save, but there were times when he was extremely shaky. Middlesbrough, who were without Elliott, Jackson, Carr, and Weir, were not seen at their best. Their forwards, of whom Stirling was the pick, at times showed pretty play in the open, but they were extremely feeble in front of goal, Davidson was the best of the halves, and at full back Walker was more reliable than Nisbent.

Everton's two goals came midway in the first half, and they were certainly the Blues' best efforts this season. Davies had made a clever save from a header from Browell, when a second or two later another fine centre was flashed in from the right from Houston, and Browell taking the ball on the run, gave Davies little or no chance of saving. At this period the Everton attack was marked by rare dash and precision, and Middlesbrough were, for the most part, occupied in defending their goal. It was from a throw-in that the ball was again centred from the right, Page, without a moment's hesitancy, banging the ball into the net. Meanwhile the attempts at combination by the visiting forwards left a lot to be desired, and the Everton halves and back more than held their own. Mitchell had few if any shots to stop in the first half, but Middlesbrough missed one glorious opening from a well placed centre by Sterling, the ball going right across the goal, and not one of the inside men reaching it. In the second half Everton were inclined to take matters easy, and if only the visitors had risen to their opportunities, they might easily have drawn level. Kirby missed two good openings. In the first instance, he got possession right in front, only to volley the ball high over the bar. Just before the end he looked a certain scorer, for he got clear between the backs, and was within an ace of shooting from two yards range, when Mitchell, the Everton keeper, literally threw himself at his feet, and made a player and daring save. Teams : - Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Wareing, and Makepeace, half-backs, Houston, Bradshaw, T. Page, T. Browell, and Harrison, forwards. Middlesbrough: - Davies, goal, Hisbent, and Walker, backs, Davidson, H. Cook, and Malcolm, half-backs, Stirling, J. Cook, F. Kirby, Windridge, and Nicholl, forwards. Referee L.N. Fletcher.

October 6, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton Reserves went to Rochdale with a greatly changed team owing to the calls of the League eleven. Still they were always slightly the better side, though Hodge was called upon to stave off several dangerous attacks from the home forwards. The only goal of the match was scored by Kirby, which gave the Blues the two points. Teams: - Rochdale: - Biggar, goal, Burton, and Goodwin, backs, Milnes, Briome, and Henderson, half-backs, Spilk, Watson, Allen, Grierson, and Smith, forwards. Everton: - Hodge, goal, J. Page, and Stalker, backs, Challinor, Weller and Kirby, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Brannick, Nutall, Johnson, and Wright, forwards.

October 8 1913. The Liverpool Echo
Walter Holbem, who was transferred from Everton to St. Mirren, left Paisley on Saturday evening from Sheffield, and it is stated will not return. The former Everton back it is reported could get accustomed to Paisley, and his wife, a Southport young lady to whom he was married recently, also not caring for Scottish life, it is thought induced Holbem in seeking a change. The ex-Goodison road man will be badly missed at Love-Street, where his coolness in defence, as made a marked change in the St. Mirren team this season.

Andy Browell brother T. Browell of Everton is now disengaging. He left Everton for Heysward United, but the club, for fanatical reasons has had to dissolve partnership. The eider Browell was a centre half, but had few changes with Everton first team. Everton Record: - 1911-12 11 League apps
• 7 League apps
Total 18 League apps

October 7, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Senior Cup Round Two.
By a goal to nil, and obtained by “Prescot” Jones the ex-Evertonian, the much improved St. Helen's Town Club earned the right to contest Round 3 of the competition, at the expense of Everton. The conditions at St.Helens were not conductive to a good exposition of the game, for rain fell before the start, and continued to the end. Everton made three changes, Stevenson appearing for Thompson, Weller deputising for Wareing, while Challinor, who was given a trial at right half in place of Harris, filled the position with credit, for his placing to the forwards was good.

Early on the Blues gave signs of disposing of the Saints, first Harrison and then Browell putting centres across which the inside men failed to turn to account. The play fluctuated considerably, and resulted in a typical Cup-tie affair, the respe3ctive defences being able to cope with the desperate onslaught of the forwards. Aided by a long return from Tom Kelly, the leather went to Barton, who careered down the wing, and eluding Stevenson he centred to Jones, who from 15 yards range, put the leather out of the reach of Mitchell. After this reverse Everton made a fine rally, and they should have scored but for bad shooting. Turning round, St. Helens though Kelly, Barton, and Jones, looked like adding to their score, but they were several times whistled back for offside. The game was vigorously contested, and from a free kick, Browell looked like making a draw of it, his shot going over the heads of Talbot, Kelly, and Hall, and just topped the crossbar. The last ten minutes were vigorously contested, and despite several good drives by the Everton forwards the Town retained their lead to the finish. Every man on the St. Helen's side gave a sterling display, but Barton, Kelly, Jones and though a tremendous amount of work, Everton were well served by the backs, Thompson and Stevenson while the halves met their match in the Saints nippy forwards. Apart from the ineptitude of the Everton forwards to find the net, they were well looked after by Hall and Kelly. Teams: - St. Helens Town: - Talbot, goal, Kelly, and Hall, backs, Hunter, Hosker, and Platt, half-backs, Barton, Kenyon, Jones, Kelly, and Ryder, forwards. Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Stevenson, backs, Challinor, Weller, and Grenyer, half-backs, Houston, Bradshaw (Captain), T. Page, Browell, and Harrison, forwards.

October 9, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton who make the journey to Bramell Lane on Saturday will apparently have no harder talk, in their encounter with Sheffield United, judging by the latter's feat against Blackburn Rovers and Sunderland. The Blues directors at their meeting yesterday, decided to have one change from the side, which beat Middlesbrough this being the Substitute of Fleetwood for Bradshaw at inside right.

October 11 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Through Everton have, Jefferis, Bradshaw and Fleetwood down with injuries, the forwards line chosen for the match at Sheffield United promises to be not lacking in dash. Fleetwood was originally chosen to partner, but with the inability's turn out, the directors transferred Browell to the inside right. A. Johnson coming in to the side as partner with Harrison on the left wing.

Athletic News - Monday 13 October 1913
The Everton reserves followed up their fine victory at Rochdale the previous week by defeating Crewe Alexandra at Goodison Park by 3-1.  Nuttall and Chedgzoy were the pick of their forwards, the latter giving a good exhibition at outside right.  One goal in each half was scored by Nuttall, and Brannick was responsible for the other.  The Everton half-backs were sound and the defence acted reliably.  For the visitors Whalley and Millward formed a smart left wing, the former being responsible for Crewe’s solitary goal, while Millwards centres were always productive of danger. 

October 13, 1913. The Liverpool Courier
Truly the lot of the Everton directors is not a happy one, for no sooner has one defect been remedied than up comes another. This bewildering topsy turveydom of form is most inexplicable. At the outset the executive were beset with difficulties consequent upon the indifferent displays served up by the forwards, and drastic changes were made for Saturday's game against Sheffield United. There was little fault to find with the work of the front line at Brammell-lane, for as a rule they displayed better footwork accompanied by more grit and persistency, than had been witnessed in any of the club's games to date. It has been apparent all along this season that half back play has not approximated the standard set up in previous seasons. This was evidenced again on Saturday, and as if to add to their discomfiture there was a weakness in goal that led to the complete undoing of the side. It must be admitted that on the whole the United were the more efficient team; that, of course, was only to be expected; yet at one particular period of the game, when the Evertonians were challenging their opponents for an equalising point, and, moreover, looked like getting it, they were let down, with the result that there was practically no hope of recovery left.

As indicated, the forwards, under the circumstances, gave a good account of themselves, and are worthy of further trial. There was not a great finish to their otherwise capable movements, yet one could not but admire the whole-hearted efforts put forth in the direction of shooting when anywhere within range of goal. Saturday's experience would serve the line in good stead, and though they failed to do all that was asked of them, they certainly performed their part with greater all-round proficiency than any quintet that has as yet worm the club's colours this season. Makepeace alone maintained the standard of half-back play that is usually associated with the Everton club, and while there was little room for adverse criticism of the backs, Mitchell's performance in goal was not at all convincing. At the interval the United, though Fazackerley led by a goal to nil, and shortly after the resumption Bagnall increased the lead. Then Johnson crowned some splendid work by Houston by reducing the lead, and it was hereabouts that Everton looked like getting on terms. However from a free kick against Harris fully ten yards outside the penalty area, Mitchell was at fault with Kitchen's drive, and on a further return, Fazackerley again scored, Everton thus being defeat by four goals to one. The United forwards were a dashing one during the second portion, and the inside men, with Bagnall on the extreme right, had much to do with the success of their side. The rearguard put up a solid defence, and Gough's work in goal was always' reliable. Teams: - Sheffield United: - Gough, goal, Cook, and English, backs, Brelsford, Hawley, and Sturgers, half-backs, Bagnell, Simmons, Kitchen,. Fazackerley, and Revill, forwards. Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Wareing, and Makepeace, half-backs, Houston, Browell, T. Page, Johnson, and Harrison, forwards. Referee C.R. Hall.

October 13, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton scored their third consecutive success at the expense of Crewe Alexandra whom they defeated by 3 goals to 1. The Blue's forwards were in excellent trim, and especially Chedgzoy and Nuttall. The latter player scored two very fine goals, whilst Chedgzoy's wing play was brilliant and effective. The half back were smart tacklers, and were well supported by a pair of sturdy backs in Page and Stalker. While in goal Hodge accomplished in cool and ensuing manner. While not as clever as Everton, the Railwaymen are a determined set of players, and triers as a team. Box's work between the posts was duty recognised by the spectators. In the first half, Nuttall and Brannick scored for Everton, and Whalley for Crewe, whilst after the interval Nuttal registered the Blue's third point . Everton: - Hodge, goal, Page, and Stalker, backs, Challinor, Kirby, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Brannick, Nuttall, Wright, and Palmer forwards. Crewe Alexandre: - Box, goal, Chorlton, and Spittle backs, Peters, Brown, and J. Roberts, Ralph, F. Roberts, Makin, Whalley and Milward, forwards.

October 16, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton directors experienced considerable difficulty in the selection of their teams, for the list of injured players is an extending one. In addition to Browell, both Bradshaw and Jefferis are unfit to play, while Fleetwood Weller, and Fulton are in the doctors hands. Indeed Fleetwood is doubtful starter on Saturday, it will thus be that the Everton officials have no light yet to choosing their eleven's, as no fewer than seven of their players are receiving attention from the club's medical adviser.

October 20, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Five goals and each of them twenty-four carats. What a refreshing change from the ones and twos that have for so long satisfied the Everton team when they have won. Curiously enough, the front line was quite of an experimental character. It included not one of the bright particular stars that opened the season, but was made up entirely from the Reserves forces. No wonder there was some long faces amongst the old brigade when they heard the result. What was more, there was no fluke about any of the five goals. They were the result of a masterly display of young forwards, who recognised the importance of being earnest. Derby County were certainly not a great side, and they were considerably handicapped through Barbour receiving an injury, which prevented him from taking his usual big slice of the work. But for all that, there was no denying the excellence of the Blues' forwards. There was no dawdling, but commendable dash was backed up by skilful footwork. The line worked with complete harmony, and the halves took a greater share in the concerted attacks than they have done in many previous games. What cheered the hearts of the crowd most, however, was the ready manner in which the forwards without exception, banged away at goal whenever an opportunity was afforded. Many shots went just wide, and others were stopped, but Scattergood could not be blamed for any of the five goals scored against him. Macconnachie could even afford to fail with a penalty kick –not that he wanted to.

The Derby men were not blessed with luck. They were entirely out of harmony, and although they worked hard, nothing appeared to run right for them. They never seemed to get into their proper stride. Their forwards were disjoined, and some idea of their impotency can be gathered from the fact that Bloomer did not get in a single shot. Mitchell had very little difficulty with the few shots he had to stop, and their forwards were always command by the Everton halves and backs. Page, the Everton centre forward, must have felt his lack of inches a big handicap against such big and bustling opponents as Buckley and Atkins, who were not very particular in their methods. Still, Page was a capable pivot while Nuttall on his first appearance at inside right in place of Browell was a big success for apart from the two goals he scored, he played fearless, and skilful football. He and Houston worked well together, the latter being seen to big advantage in the second half. Harrison and Johnson also proved a most capable left wing. The first goal came twenty minutes, after the start, and prior to this the play had been evenly distributed. A pass by Houston enabled Nuttall to drive into the net, and shortly afterwards Barbour met with the injury, which caused him to retire for a time, and to give what assistance he could at inside left in the later stages. Page put through the second goal after Scattergood had only partially cleared a swift drive from Harrison from the long range, and it was from a well-placed corner kick by Harrison that led to Wareing recording the third. In the second half, Derby were completely outplayed, and the Blues forwards kept up a severe bombardment, goals being added by Houston and Nuttall. Page looked a certain scorer soon after the re-start, when Atkins deliberately tripped him, and from the penalty kick Macconnachie stuck the upright. Teams: - Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Wareing, and Makepeace, Half-backs, Houston, Nuttall, T. Page, Johnson, and Harrison, forwards. Derby County: - Scattergood, goal, Atkin, and Barbour, backs, Basby, Buckley, and Richards, half-backs, Grimes, Bloomer, Leonard, Walker, and Neve, forwards. Referee P. Satit.

October 20, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton's 2-0 victory at Blackpool is particularly meritorious in view of the number of recognised “reserves” men being called upon to assist the league eleven. The Blues did capitally. Wright opening the scoring in the first half and Brannick putting in a second towards the clear. Everton: - Hodge, goal, Stevenson, and Stalker, backs, Challinor, Kirby, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy (Captain), Brannick, Fleetwood, Wright, and Palmer, forwards.

Sheffield Evening Telegraph-Tuesday 21 October 1913
Famous Old Wednesday Player's Death
Alick Brady, the old Wednesday forward and who, in his day, was one of the best forwards in the country, died yesterday at his home at Renton. The deceased, who was in his forty-third year, was a native of Renton. He leaves a widow and three children. He began his football career with Renton Thistle, but soon migrated to Newcastle West End, and from there he joined Everton, where he helped the Goodison Park team which won the English League Championship. Returning to Glasgow, he next figured in the ranks of Celtic, and in the season Brady was associated with them Celtic won the Scottish Cup the Charity cup, and the Glasgow Cup. Brady's next move was to Wednesday, here for several seasons he was associated with Fred Spikesley on the left wing, but when Wednesday won the Cup in 1896 he was Brash's colleague on the opposite wing. Brady was one of the few players who had the honour of winning the English and Scottish badges.

October 21, 1913 Western Times
The death was announced yesterday at Renton of Alick Brady, the famous Glasgow Celtic,
Everton and Sheffield Wednesday footballer.

October 21, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Those who followed the fortunes of the Everton Club in the old Anfield-road day's will learn with regret of the dealt of Alec Brady, a one time a famous player with the Everton club. Brady was one of the members of the team that won the championship of the First Division for Everton on the only occasion the club has secured the honours. This was in the third year in which, the League was in existence, and the forward line which generally did duty on that occasion was, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, one of the most success set of forwards the game ever know. The play of Latta and Brady, backed up at half-back by Danny Kirkwood, now a director of the Everton of the Everton club, will be remembered as a feature of the football of those days. Everton secured Brady in competition with Burnley for whom he had also signed. Brady also played for Glasgow Celtic and Sheffield Wednesday and while with the former club played a Scottish Cup badge. His dealt is place at Renton yesterday.

Dundee Courier - Tuesday 21 October 1913
The death was annouced at Renton yesterday of Alick Brady the famous Celtic, Everton, and Sheffield Wednesday football. Deceased was one of the few players who won an English and Scottish Cup badge, and was one of the Everton team which won the English League championship.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 22 October 1913
Alick Brady, who in his day was one of the best forwards in the country, has died at his residence, Hall Street, Renton. The deceased, who was in his forty-third Year, was a native of Renton, and leaves a widow and three of a family. He played as a junior with Renton Thistle, but was soon picked up by Newcastle West End. Leaving Newcastle, he joined Everton, and while Goodison Park was one the team which won the English League Championship. Returning to Glasgow, he played for Celtic, and while with the Parkhead team partnered _ Neil M'Callum the right wing. The Celtic won the Scottish Cup, the Charity Cup, and the Glasgow Cup in the season that Brady was with them. He next joined Sheffield Wednesday, partnering Spikesley for several seasons, and while at Sheffield the club won the Football Cup. Brady was one of the few players who had the honour of winning the English and Scottish badges.

October 24, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
After the great victory over Derby County at Goodison Park, on Saturday, the Everton directors naturally made no changes in the team to oppose Manchester City at Hyde-road tomorrow.

October 27, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
As Hyde-road on Saturday the Everton team bounded into brilliant form, and none that closely followed the game would have been surprised had the forwards netted quite a crop of goals. But fortune did not come their way, and two minutes from time Everton were compelled to share the points. They were the faster, cleverer, and better team all round, and yet it could not be advanced that they had made poor use of their superiority, for the City custodian alone stood between them and success. The short, crisp passing of the Everton forwards quite unhinged the City defence, and probably had the same tactics been pursued in the second portion, when their more confined methods gave place to long swinging passes, which on this occasion did not pay, they would probably have rubbed in defeat thick and fast. There was an almost perfect understanding between the halves and forwards, and while the latter mostly caught the eye, there could be no mistaking the adroit footwork, the accurate passing, and intelligent, anticipation of opponents' movements shown by the Everton trio, whose all-round play was one of the outstanding feature of the game.

Under such conditions it was not at all surprising that the Everton forwards dominated the proceedings ouring the whole of the first half, and the opening quarter of the second. With the ball placed accurately to them there was no time lost, and the play of the home half backs was consequently reduced to a very ordinary level. Only in one position, and that in goal, did the City excel, and though they divided the points as the result of getting the ball more frequently in the last 20 minutes, it could not by any stretch of imagination be argued that the final result was a fitting reflex upon the general run of the game. Everton's goal was recorded by Nuttall after 20 minutes play. He and Houston had fitted in splendidly, and his success came as the result of a sharp pass from the winger and a dash between the backs, finally leaving Smith helpless. Nuttall narrowly missed another point immediately afterwards, as also did Johnson, who drove against the upright. The ineptitude of the City forwards can be gauged from the fact that Mitchell had not once been called upon during the first half. Indeed a quarter of an hour had gone by in the second portion before the Everton keeper was called upon top make his first appearance –a faulty one at the –and Houston had no luck with a deceptive dropping ball which struck the face of the bar, and then City forwards roused themselves to a great effort. Two minutes from the close Howard put in a swift ground shot, which the keeper partially arrested and might have diverted over the line for a corner. However, he did not get the ball away, and Taylor levelled up matters.

Coming to the players, high tribute must be paid to Macconnachie who was quite on the top of his form, and all who follow Everton football know what that means. His returns were cleverly executed, his interceptions were judiciously anticipated, and altogether his performance was stamped with the ball mark of class. Thompson too played a sound defensive game, and no finer work than that accomplished by Harris, Wareing, and Makepeace has been witnessed in Everton football for many moons. Great praise, too, must be accorded the forwards, who throughout gave of their best. They probably took too much out of themselves early on. Still they played like a line with a set plan of campaign, and when fortune comes their way they are bound to pile on goals. Houston and Nuttall were veritable gluttons for work and formed a capital wing, and the left in Harrison and Johnson suffered little by comparison, while Page kept the line going with good judgement. Mitchell had not a great deal to do, and though he twice cleared in masterly style there were other instances in which his work was not at all convincing. The City were not well served at half-back, with the result that forward play rarely soared above the average. Cartwright the recruit from Northwich, made a satisfactory first appearance in League football, though he was not too well supported. McGuire, brought in at the last moment for Flecther, was the more reliable back, and in goal Smith towered head and shoulders above his comrades in point of ability. Teams: - Manchester City: - Smith, goal, Henry, and Maguire, backs, Hughes, Bottomley, and Holford, half-backs, Wallace, Taylor, Howard, R. Jones, and Cartwright, forwards. Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Wareing, and Makepeace, half-backs, Houston, Nuttall, T. Page, Johnson, and Harrison, forwards. Referee R. Celes.

October 27 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Both Everton and Manchester City had good sides out for their encounter at Goodison Park, and a hard-fought game, in which some clever footwork was displayed, ended in a draw of one goal each. In the first half the Blues were the more aggressive, but all their efforts to locate the net proved abortive, though once Bradshaw struck the upright with a terrific drive fifteen minutes from the resumption. Fleetwood busted through the defence and scored, but soon afterwards Abbott got away and put his side on level terms again. In the concluding stages the Manchester men quite over-played the home team, and it was only Turner's alertness between the sticks that prevented the visitors from carrying off the spoils. Teams: - Everton: - Turner goal, Stevenson, and Stalker, backs, Challinor, Kirby, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Fleetwood, Bradshaw, and Palmer, forwards. Manchester City: - Goodchild, goal, Hall, and McGuire, backs, Garner, Scott, and Hindmans, half-backs, Cunningham, Abbott, A. Fairclough, P. Fairclough, and Spottiswood, forwards.

October 30, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Liverpool Senior Cup Semi-Final.
Everton scored a goal to nil yesterday at Anfield thereby qualifying to play South Liverpool in the Liverpool Senior Cup final. It was a hard fought game, and considering the weather, the exchanges were interesting. At the start the ground was bad owing to a heavy rainfall, but the sun shone brightly and handicapped Everton somewhat. However, it was not long before the elements changed again, and the lot of the players was then not enviable. Always hard to control, the ball because terribly heavy and slippery, and the footing of the player was always uncertain. Everton's goal, scored five minutes before the interval was a happy effort, started by the left wing, and carried on by the three inside men. Jefferis passed to Beare, and cut across to the outside right, Beare turning the ball back to Jefferis with a neatly judged pass. A centre and the goal was made for Browell, whose work was pretty easy. Liverpool on the run of play were by far the superior side in this half, and were a shade better than their rivals later on; yet Everton always seemed dangerous when they broke away.

Hodge kept goal splendidly, and was clean in the catch and clearance. Before him were two young, and lusty backs, and Stalker added to defence by driving a long ball that crashed against the crossbar. The Everton half-backs were bustlers, and Fleetwood crowded a lot of work into the game, once by the way, nearing turning the ball through his own goal. Forward, Everton played in and out football. Jefferis did many clever things, but Browell was handicapped by an injury to his right leg. Wright was not too successful, and Palmer, after a moderate opening, outpaced Grayer, and put life into his runs and his centres, the consequence being that he was dangerous. Liverpool were served well in goal, and at half Longsworth was a breaker-up whose finishing touch was generally a booting of the ball. Forward, Banks deserved a goal for his pertinacity, and Dawson's dribbling close and connected up with passed to either side, was a very fine feature of the game. Riddle did not shape as well as usual, but Staniforth and McKinlay were clever and active. On one occasion the left winger beat four men by pure skill, and his centered were always of sound length; a remark that can be applied to Staniforth's efforts. In fact, Staniforth has not played better football since Liverpool signed him. Teams: - Everton: - Hodge, goal, J. Page, and Stalker, backs, Challinor, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Wright, and Palmer, forwards. Liverpool: - E. Scott, goal, Grayer, and Pursell, backs, J. Scott, Longsworth, and Wadsworth, half-backs, Satniforth, Banks, Riddle, Dawson, and McKinlay, forwards.

October 30 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The Everton directors yesterday decided to substitute Hodge for Mitchell as goolkeeper in the team to meet Bradford City at Goodison Park on Saturday. Hodge did well towards the end of last season, and has justified his promotion from the reserve team. This is the only change from last week.

October 31 1913. The Liverpool Echo.
Tom Browell, the Everton centre-forward, has this day been transferred to Manchester City, at a big fee. The case of Tom Browell has been a remarkable one. He has only recently celebrated his twenty first birthday, yet his short career in football has included two big moves. He learnt his football with Walbottle, which is North Shield way, and like his brothers started in semi-senior football with Hull City. Everton were wanting a centre forward about the beginning of the year of 1911, and Browell after much angling was signed at a big fee. His form for Everton smartly pleased. In fact he started his carreer by scoring two goals in his first match, which was verus Manchester United. Within a month of his appearance in Liverpool, he was selected to play at Blackburn in a representative game, when it was found that another centre forward was unable to play. Thus early did he get along the honours. However, his stay at Everton has been comparatively peaking short, and he has gone to Manchester City, Browell's elder brother Andrew was signed by Everton some months after Tom signing, but last season Andrew was not re-booked by Everton. Tom Browell cost over a thousand pounds, but was believe that the sum Manchester City have paid is over the thousand, it is most probable. Last season he was Everton leading scorer, with twelve goals out of forth-eight; and in the half season's work that he did on coming to Goodison Park he found the target a number of times, eleven in League and seven in cup matches. Tom Browell style of play is modelled on the old fashioned style. He passes are most accurate, and he can hook a ball over his head with rare success. His shooting has been another strong point, but latterly he has not scored a lot of goals.

Everton Record: - 1911-12, 17 League apps, 12 goals, Fa Cup apps 5 apps, 7 goals.

1912-13, 26 League apps, 12 goals, Fa Cup apps 5 apps, 4 goals.

1913-14, 7 League apps, 2 goals.

Total:- 50 League apps, 26 goals, 10 Fa Cup apps, 11 goals.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Friday 31 October 1913
Is To-Day Transferred Manchester City.
One of the most surprising transfer was completed this afternoon in Liverpool, when Tom Browell of Everton, the young centre forward who went to Goodison Park with great credentials from Hull City, was fixed up by Manchester City at a fee which is understood to be a record for the Hyde Park club. When everybody had been satisfied there would not be much change out of $1500




October 1913