Everton Independent Research Data


Belfast Telegraph - Saturday 03 July 1909
Donald Sloan, the ex-Liverpool and Everton goalkeeper, has returned to Distillery Club, Belfast, having signed for that organisation as trainer and player on Thursday evening.  Sloan, as is well-known, is a most brilliant custodian, and will be a tower of strength to Distillery in that position, as he was some years ago.  He belongs to Trabbock, in Ayrshire. 

Western Times - Saturday 17 July 1909
Crelley yesterday afternoon signed papers for Exeter City. This announcement is one that will give satisfaction to the club's supporters.

Exeter City Player's Loss .
Western Times - Wednesday 11 August 1909
Jack Crelley, the Exeter City professional footballer, hasreturned to Liverpool for a week in consequence of a family bereavement. On Monday he was advised by telegrapgh of the death of his father after a prolonged illness, and at once returned to his home.

Western Times - Saturday 20 August 1910
The Whereabouts of Exeter's Old Players
Jack Crelley has finally fixed up with St. Helen's Recreation for next season.

August 20, 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo
The Goodison ground is a perfect hive of industry. The Everton officials are not only bent on building up a first class team, but intend making their ground one of the fines in the county. It bears comparison with any league's round, and when completed will challenge the best in the land. Just now Mr. W.C.Cuff the general secretary is a very busy man, but he found time to chat on various topics concerning the club and players. The officials behave they have a good team, and with a bit of luck –they were not too well treated or fortune last season –hope to win honours. Personally I am convinced that the Evertonians will take beating. You may think that the Argentine tour has lane the players a lot of harm. I recollect Nottingham Forest visiting Argentina. The very next season they went in the Second Division. Mr. impression is that the tour was done the Everton players a lot of good, and it has promoted good feeling among players, and directors. The players who went on tour look remarkably well, and although all the players are not yet up, there is a clean bill of health. Sharp and Makepeace are, of course still playing cricket, and may not particularly of the practice match. I have seen both players frequently during the cricket season. They are both very fit. The directors intend a keep a sharp lookout for local players. Several promising juniors are already on the books, and applications for trials have been numerous. There is practically nothing to record in the way of transfers of old players and signing of now. The only now man of note is Gourlay; a centre forward from Port Glasgow Athletic. Chetwood and Strettell have been transferred to Crewe and Chesterfield respectively. For my own part, I think the directors can rely confidently on last season's players. I expect it will be a dangerous combination for the signing of R.F Turner strengthened the weak point of the team. The difference was obvious towards the close of the season. The following players are on the books: -

Goal: - W Scott, and CH Berry
Backs: - R. Balmer, JS McConnachie, W Stevenson, LC Wells.

Half-backs: - V Harris, J Taylor, H Makepeace, R Clifford, H Adamson, and J Borthwich.

Forwards: - J. Sharp, J Coleman, BC Freeman, RF Turner, J Gourley, GH Barlow, A Young, LG Woods, T Jones W Lacey, D Rafferty, JB Meunier, R Adamson, HS Buck, S Carlisle, W Michael, HT Osborne, C Pratt, W Webb, and JC Bardsley.

Visitors to Goodison for the practice match next Saturday will find many changes. The work on the new double-deck stand which extends the length of the Goodison road side of the ground is being pushed forward, but it has proved such a big undertaking that it will not be fully completed when the season commences. I can assure patrons however that their comfort will not in any way be interfered with. The structure at present is a mass of hugh steel girder. The skeleton will practically be completed early next week, and once this is done progress will be rapid. When completed it will be a majestic structure. Attention is being concentrated on the lower portion, and this it is expected will be ready for use by the glorious first. On three sides of the enclosure the terracing is of solid concrete, while the clinder banking has been terracing, in concrete lengths. Spectators will obtain a similar view as at Anfield, in the sense that the ground all round the playing space has been lowered and onlookers on the lower terraces will be nearly on a level with the players.

August 20, 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo
Carlise Everton's new forward hails from Valkyries FC, and not from Harrow as previously announced.
The mysterious McCormick whom Everton signed from Newcastle United has never played in their League team, is announced as one of Millwall's capture for the coming season.
Mr. Halliday, a former day Everton full back has secured some very able forward recruits this summer for Brentford. Also Sloan who was originally with Everton them signed for Liverpool, has gone to Belfast Distillery as players manager.

August 20, 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo
The football players of Everton and Liverpool and the first team of the Stanley CC are playing a return cricket match at Lower Arkles-lane on Monday and Tuesday next the 23 rd and 24 th inst., commencing each evening at 5-50.

August 23, 1909 The Athletic News
By Junius
Twelve months ago Everton were concerned with the reorganization of their forces, and speculation was rife as to the manner in which their new talent would blend with what was left of the old brigade. This problem was solved during the first half of the season, for Everton did not lose a match away from home until January 30 th , and they eventually gained second position in the final League chart. The least satisfactory part of the team last year was the left wing in the forward line, but this was remedied during the closing weeks by the acquisition of “Watty” White, from Bolton Wanderers, and Turner, from Leicester Fosse. Thus at the end of April Everton were ready with a capable team to fullfil their obligations in the succeeding year. It may, therefore, be taken for granted that the club will resume on the 1 st of September with practically the same eleven that won the last League match decided at Goodison Park. At the time of writing, I am aware of but one deflection from the ranks. Coleman has not severed his connection with the Players Union, and of course, he has started training with his old comrades. The club, however, possesses a most promising youngster in Lacey, who was secured from Dublin Shelbourne fifteen months ago, and who gained international honours last season. He played inside right during the recent tour of Argentina, and was the most consistent forward on the side. At a private practice match, held a few days ago, he showed sufficient ability to merit his prompt inclusion in the League eleven. He stands 5ft 8 1/2ins and weighs 11st 12lbs. Amongst the players retained are the eider Balmer, who will probably retire from football; Strettle, who has gone to Chesterfield; Coupar, who is at present at home in Scotland; and Crews, who came with Coleman from Woolwich. In the reserve ranks are several clever players, who have already had experience of League warfare, Stevenson full-back, Borthwick centre half-back, Adamson and Clifford half-backs, and “Prescott” Jones inside forward. The latter has greatly benefited by his trip to South America, and the veteran John D. Taylor, has also returned rejuvenated, and ready for a few ,more years of football. Practically only two new players have been engaged, James Gourlay, who comes of a famous football family, and who can operate at centre-forward, or in either of the inside positions, stands 5ft, 7ins, and weighs 11st 3lbs. He was secured from Port Glasgow Athletic. Louis Weller, is a tall Staffordshire recruit standing 5ft 7ins, and weighs 11st, while he is only 21 years of age. He played left half towards the end of April, and shaped in good style. J Canon Bardsley is an amateur, who has seen service with Rossendale and Southport Y.M.C.A. He stands 6ft, and is proportionately built. He has assisted Lancashire in Inter-County football, and is recognized in the amateur circles of the Palatinate. Great alternations have been made on the ground during the close season, full details of which appeared in our issue of the 9 th inst, therefore any further reference here is unnecessary. Visitors to Goodison Park will be astonished at the immensity of the new double-decker stand, and the clean, compact appearance of the enclosure, surrounded as it is on all sides by cement terracing. The directors are hoping that the whole of the lower portion, at least, will be in readiness for “the first.”

•  Thanks To Kjell Hanssen for sending this to me.

August 27, 1909. The Liverpool Courier
There was conclusive evidence from last night's practice match there is a condition of fitness in the players which augure well for the campaign, which will shortly be entered upon at Goodison Park. Some 10,000 of Everton followers had an opportunity of judging prospectively the merits of the players as they entered into their preliminary exercise on the Liverpool Club at Anfield. It was at once a racious act on the part of the Liverpool directors to place their enclosure at the disposal of the Everton Club at a juncture when Goodison Park is still in the hands of the workmen, a circumstance which rendered a turn out there rather inconvenient. Meanwhile the improvements on the ground are being rapidly pushed forward, and when these are completed, Goodison will want a lot of beating as football location. Nearly all the old faces were noticed in the twenty-two who turned out, with the exception, of course of Sharp and Makepeace, who are still engaged with cricket. In the League team –the Blues –Clifford, and Adamson operated with Taylor in the half-back line, while on the stripes side, the Reserves team, the new man, Gourlay of Port Glawsgow, and Weller of Leek United, made their debut. The outcome of the game, although is represented the League team as winning by two goals to on, left the spectators with the conviction that Everton have a reliable and clever lot of men in their reserves team. On play they really impressed the crowd in a grated degree than the more tried players, and it is eminently satisfactory to know that the Everton authorities will have excellent material to fall back upon when the occasion arises. Possibly the Blues were not putting forth their best efforts –at least they did not as a whole seem to be doing. Of course there were exceptions. White playing a grand game at through. He is sure to be a tower of strength. He was responsible for both the goals for the Blues. Freeman was not seen to the best advantage. Borthwick giving him the closest attention, but Turner showed that he is an artiste with the ball. Buck in a dashing and plucky little player, whose speed stands him in good stead. Taylor had not too many opportunities, but he made the most of them. MaConnachie was as usual very cool, though occasionally he was neatly tricked by Michaels, a promising youth, who ought to be of some service. Bob Balmer's display was not free from mistakes in the first half, but in the second portion his defence was sounder. Scott, as usual, was safe in goal. Amongst the Stripes each man was a determined trier. Mountford was par excellence the stalwart of the front line, his passing being always well judged, and he was a danger to reckon with. Anderson made him a very effective partner, and it was he who paved the way for Gourlay to score. The latter did some promising work, and made openings very effectively. Borthwick was a keen and resourceful centre half. Rafferty and Weller also appearing to advantage. A clever back is possessed by Evertion in Meunier, who times the ball with rare judgement, and always seems to be in the right place. Berry's display in goal created a very favourable impression. Teams: - Blues: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, (Captain), backs, Adamson, Taylor, and Clifford, half-backs Buck, White, Freeman, Young, and Turner forwards. Stripes: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Borthwick, and Weller, backs, Michaels, Lacey, Gourley, Anderson, and Mountford, forwards. Referee D.Peers.

September 1, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton had the pleasure of inaugurating the season by a League match on their own ground. Old opponents in Sheffield Wednesday were the visitors, and they were somewhat fortunate in dividing the honours with the “Blues.” Still, in view of what might have been only for the “truce,” it was by no means an unsatisfactory start of the season's work. The playing pitch was in grand conditions, but despite the efforts of the contractors the new grand stand is far from the state of completion. When finished it will undoubtedly be one of the finest stands ever erected on a football ground, and it will not be through any fault of the directors if it is not ready for occupation and many weeks have elapsed. Although the weather was threatening the attendance for a midweek match must be regarded as satisfactory, the crowd being estimated at 14,000 people. Both sides were fully representative. For Everton Adamson appeared in place of Harris, while the choice for the inside forward position fell upon White and Young.

Wednesday kicked off, and they were the first to show any aggressive tactics, Foxall and Bradshaw showing up well on the left. The last-named passed out to Chapman, who racing up put outside. The Blues then came away in good style. White impressing the crowd with some good work in which he shot over. Young appeared to advantage, and a smart pass to Turner was especially noticeable after which Sharp tried to get at a pass, but could not take it. Chapman and Hunter were busy on the right for the visitors, and Foxall, who ran along the left in great style, took a well-judged pass. He was met by MaConnachie and Makepeace coming to the rescue, he played an excellent style. White next put over. The Sheffielders were playing the best game at this point, their forwards combining well, but they showed a weakness in front of goal. Bradshaw was a regular Trojan for work, and his play excited the admiration of the crowd. Young tried a long cross shot, which however, was wide of the mark. So far the play had been of a mediocre character, it was certainly not of the type which the spectators had looked for as an introduction to the League games at Goodison. Layton robbed Upto to this stage Freeman had not been especially prominent, but just as he appeared to be going through he of the ball. The defence on both sides was sound, and many a promising forward movement was thus nipped in the bud. A corner to Sheffield brought no advantage to their side, after which a splendid tussle between Sharp and Foxall ended in the crickter winning possession and he centred cleverly across the goalmouth. A fine piece of work by Makepeace came in for special praise hereabout. The half-back got through on is own, and he finished with a good effort which was just wide, after which Freeman just missed the mark with a shot shot. At length reward came to Everton. Young was aggressive and pass to Sharp who centred splendidly and White netted the first goal. After this Sharp was prominent, unfortunately slipped when he was making for goal. Playing now with more determination and giving their opponents trouble. Freeman had a chance, but shot straight at the goalkeeper, and than there was a hot attack on the Everton goal. Makepeace however, saved the situation by his smart and resourceful play. The Blades trier hard to equalise before the interval, and once Bradshaw had only Scott to beat, when he sent outside. Everton were were leading at the interval by one goal to nothing.

The second half was an improvement on the first as regards the quality of the play and the keenest, which was at times exhibited. The football was of a high standard, and both sides were on their mettle. The ball had only been in progress five minutes when Brittleson equalised for the Sheffielders. During a mix up, Brittleson, seizing a fine opportunity ran through and scored, Scott having no chance with the shot. Everton now led an attack and Freeman headed into Davidson hands. There were some exciting exchanges in which both sets of forwards showed tasteful work. Foxall and Bradshaw being repeatedly prominent. Makepeace being again to the fore in spoiling several ugly rushes. Sharp looked dangerous with one of his finishing crosses well up to the goalline, and at the other end Hunter receiving from Foxall headed over. The Evertonians maintained severe pressure and the Sheffield backs had several times to resort to kicking out. Freeman made a capital run, but Brittleson who was watching him slowly arrested his progress, but could not get in his return, and the ball went over the line. Then Young was shaping to shoot when Layton robbed him after which Freeman put in just underneath the bar, but he was ruled off-side –great disappointment for the Everton spectators. The game was now very interesting, and it was evident that neither side was giving anything away. Turner, who had sustained a slight injury in the first half, was not playing with quite the same vim, and Layton charged down, several of his shots. A brilliant run by Sharp thrilled the crowd, and when his centred across to Freeman, who had a fine opportunity, their disappointment was great when he allowed it to slip. Davidson saved successive shots from Young and Turner. The game was fought out vigorously to the end, but without any further addition to the score, which ended: - Everton 1 goal, Sheffield Wednesday 1 goal.

There was a remarkable contrast between the two stages of the encounter. In the first half there was little to cause enthusiasm; indeed one could hardly imagine that it was the opening of the new season. In the second half, however, a vast improvement was noticeable, and the spectators were treated to an exhibition of real earnest football which in oftentimes associated with the keenest of cup-ties. Once Everton scored, Wednesday seemed unable to make any headway, but after the change of ends they showed something of the true form, and were rewarded with an equalising goal, which came as the result of clever judgement on the part of Brittleson, who throughout played a sterling half-back game. Still on the chances which presented themselves. Everton ought certainly to have won. How Freeman managed to fail to convert a grand opening presented to him by Sharp was one of the surprise of the match. But as a matter of fact the Everton centre failed to reach the high standard of play expected of him. Young indulged in some wonderfully clever bits of work at times, but rather overdid the “business” Sharp was unquestionably the pick of the Everton line, and this despite the close attention paid to him by Holbem. White ably seconded his efforts, and as for Turner he was adversely affected by the injury which he sustained. The defence on both sides was of a high order. Makepeace stood out among the Everton halves with especially prominence, though John Taylor lacked nothing in the direction of resource and determination, while Adamson rendered useful assistance. Both Balmer and MaConnachie were equal to all demands and Scott, whilst not greatly troubled, kept goal in his usual happy style. The Wednesday club have once more secured a most capable defence, but apparently the great fault of their forwards lies in the weakness of their finishing efforts. Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal, R Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Adamson, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), White, Freeman, Young, and Turner, forwards. Sheffield Wednesday: - Davidson goal, Layton, and Holbein, backs, Brittleson, Spoors, and Bartlett, half-backs, Hunter, Chapman, Wilson, Bradshaw, and Foxall, forwards. Referee Mr. A.E.Farrent.

September 3, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 1)
As a rule the Combination fixtures of the Everton and Liverpool clubs are played as a last period of the football campaign, but the officials decided to make a change this season and play the first of the “Junior Derbys” early on. Last evening the Resevres teams met at Anfield, and after an interesting struggle honours were even, each side scoring a goal. It was the insigural game of the Anfield season, and enthusiasts turned up in large numbers, there being a crowd of quite 10,000. The result was a fair reflex of the play, which although not of a scientific character, was always interesting, the players putting in some real hard work. The forwards on both sides were rather erractic, and the respective defences carried off the honours of the contest. The first half produced a lot of scrappy play, there being too much strong kicking. Liverpool held the advantage at the outset. After the Everton forwards had failed to profit by their chances in front of goal. Uren was prominent with a nice run, but his final shot travelled over the bar. Liverpool were decidedly the better team hereabouts, and Parkinson gave the Reds the lead with a low cross shot. This goal livened up matters considerably, and Lacey was presented with a fine chance of equalising, but he failed to take advantage of the opening. Both keepers were conspicuous with several clearances, and the interval with the Anfielders leading by a goal to nil. The pace was much faster in the second half, and there were many exciting incidents. Liverpool had the better of the early exchanges, Berry, the visiting keeper, having to clear several ticklist shots. Everton were not to be denied, and Gourlay called upon Beeby. The Blues forwards, however, were generally slow to avail themselves of opportunities and the Liverpool backs were enabled to clear when danger threatened. At length, after Liverpool had forced four corners in quick succession, the ball came out to Anderson, who had changed places with Mountford on the left , and the winger made a run more than half the length of the field, and centred nicely to Buck. The latter shot in, and the ball striking the crossbar rebounded to Gourley, the Scottish centre making no mistake this time, and putting Everton on level terms. Afterwards there were several exciting scrimmages in front of both goals, and just before the finish Bowyer hit the foot of the post with Berry beaten.

The players showed commendable keenness but the backs, and half-backs could claim the advantage over the forward. Beeby and Berry, the respective goalkeepers effected some smart clearances and it is quite evident that in these young players the Liverpool and Everton clubs have capable understudies to the international, Hardy and Scott. Rogers was the best of the Liverpool backs, while Peake was about the smartest half-back on the field. McConnell and Dillion also acquitted themselves satisfactorily, but the forwards were only moderate. The same can be said of the Everton line, although Anderson, Gourley and Lacey were at times seen to advantage. The left wing was almost neglected in the first half, and as a consequence Mountford was mainly in the picture. The halves and backs played with vigour, but on last night's display Borthwich is hardly up to League form yet. Rafferty was the best of the line. Stevenson and Meunier defended ably. Teams: - Liverpool: - Beeby, goal, Rogers, and J. Dunlop, backs McConnell, Peake, and Dillion, half-backs, Parkinson, Goode, Morris, Bowyer and Uren, forwards. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Borthwick, and Clifford, half-backs, Lacey, Gourley, Anderson, and Mountford, forwards.

September 6, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Saturday was Tottenham Hotspur's first appearance at Goodison Park in League warfare. If memory services they have been twice on Cup-tie progress bent, and have both won and lost, but they have invariably given interesting displays of football. Though deprived of the presence of the famous amateur international, Vivian Woodward, the team which did duty for the Southerners by no means disgraced itself, notwithstanding the fact that Everton gained the victory by 4 goals to 2. There was no disputing the supremacy of the Blues though the Spurs for the greater part of the game contested every inch of the ground in rare determined spirit. Everton had the pull in the matter of defence, and they could also claim that in Young they had by far the cleverest forward in the game. It was one of Sandy's great days, and when he is in the humor, football spectators know what to expect. Young provided them with a host of good things, notably that brilliant individual effort which gave Everton the lead shortly before the interval. He also had a big share in the scoring of the opening goal, and gave Mountford –who was appearing for Turner, who was injured against Sheffield Wednesday –plenty of opportunities of showing his abilities. Despite the wet weather the game was always well worth watching, and was followed with interest by an attendance of over 20,000 people.

The game from the start was fought at a good pace, and it was early evident that both sets of forwards were on their best behaviour. After Taylor had cleared a corner which, Curtis forced of McConnachie, Young tricked Morris and banged in a surprise shot which Boreham funbled but cleared at the second attempt. There were some fine forward movements on both sides which were only neutralised by the smartness of the defenders, but a little over a quarter of an hour had passed when Tull, the Spurs' coloured forward, set Curtis on the move and the winger centring finely had the satisfaction of seeing Middlemiss bang the ball past Scott in fine style. This early success for the Londers was an eye-opener for the crowd, who, however, did not forget to cheer the fine movement. But the cheering was redoubled when a few minutes later Everton equalsed. Young out witted the opposing half, and passing to Mountford, that player centred beautifully. Freeman just missed the ball, but White lay hardy, and he gave Boreham no chance of saving a high shot. Having drawn level, Everton for a time made matters warm for the Spurs, but Darnell in particular showed capable defence and several times circumvented Sharp. On the other hand, Morris could seldom keep Young in check, but Wilkes often came to the rescue. The Spurs' forwards were not idea, however, and Scott had to repel a low shot from Curtis, who had cleverly got past McConnachie, while with Minter opened up the play well with swinging passes to either wing. Makepeace in one strong attack did fine work in defence repelling shots from Tull, Curtis, and Minter in quick success. So play went on, until Young tricked D. Steel and Coquet in turn and although tacked by Wilkes he managed to send the ball slowly into the net, just as Borham came out. It was a splendid individual effort on the part of Young, and well deserved the cheering it evoked. Coquat was hurt soon afterwards but resumed and Everton held their lead to the interval.

Play in the first half, considering the state of the ground had been wonderfully fast and well contested, but it was only natural that there should be some falling off afterwards. This was not apparent however, for a long time, during which the visitors gave the crowd another set-back. They opened the half at a fine pace and with great determination, and three shots were made in, all on the target. Scott cleared the first from R. Steel, a splendid high shot. Taylor got in the way of the second from Minter, while the third from Curtis was just under the bar, Scott doing well to turn it over. Harris cleared the corner, and Everton attacked in turn, and a hot attack it was. Several shots were luckily charged down, and finally after Young had hit the foot of the far post, Mountford sent outside. The Spurs came again, and this time Curtis sent over a good low centre for Minter to hook the ball past Scott in fine style, and thus equalise the score. There was a prospect of a fine finish with 20 minutes to go, but Harris repelled another attack by the visitors, and sending to Sharp the latter middled finely and Freeman banged the ball past Boreham at close range. Sharp was now getting the better of Darnell pretty comfortably, and after beating both halfs and full backs he sent in a fine high shot, Boreham tried to fist out but sent the ball to Freeman, who at the second attempt hooked the ball into the net in fine style. Everton outplayed the visitors afterwards but there was no further scoring.

Everton showed much better form than against Sheffield Wednesday, the improvement being marked in the forward line. As already stated, Young was great, and not one of the visiting defenders could keep him in check. He never dribbled too much, passed with precision, and shot assuredly. His was altogether a clever display. Mountford could not help but shine under such circumstances, but he is deserving of praise for his accurate centring. White also did well, and both Sharp and Freeman improved wonderfully after being only moderate in the opening forty-five. At half all did well, with Makepeace once more the pick, while no fault could be found with the defence. It was in this last department that the Spur suffered by comparison, for Boreham was shaky, and Coquet could make nothing of young. Wilkes did well under difficulties, but with seven goals against them in two matches it behaves the Spurs to strengthen the defence. Darnell for a veteran, did good service at half until Sharp began to show his paces but the forwards showed both dash and cleverness. Curtis and Middlemiss being capable wingers, and Minter showed himself to be a smart centre. In short it was capital game with Everton well-deserved winners. Everton will meet Newcastle United to-day at Goodsion and another fine game should be the outcome. Teams : - Everton: - Scott, goals, R. Balmer and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor and Makepeace half-backs, Sharp (captain), White, Freeman, Young, and Mountford, forwards. Tottenham Hotspur: - Boreham, goal, Wilkes, and Coquat, backs, Tull, Darnell, and Morris, half-backs, Bentley, Curtis, Minter, R. Steel, and Middlemiss, forwards.

September 6, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One
It is evident that Everton are bent upon retaining the championship. They have made a capital start, for in two away matches they have picked up three points, and against such powerful sides as Liverpool and Oldham Athletic. They were full value for their two goals to one win at Oldham on Saturday. Their forwards played a particularly smart game, Anderson doing especially well, and it is evidently that he will make a capable player. The halves kept the Oldham attack well in hand, while the defensive work left nothing to be desired. Anderson opened the scoring in the first half, and but for Pennington's good goalkeeper would have had another. In the second half Oldham soon drew level through Mellor, but Gourley after missing one fine opening, secured another goal and the points for the visitors. Everton: - Berry, goal Stevenson, and Meunier backs, Rafferty, Pratt, and Clifford, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Gourley, Anderson and Woods, forwards.

September 8, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
The visit of the League champions to Goodison Park proved a wonderfully attractive one, for in the second half there would be at least 25,000 person present. These witnessed a most one sided game, in which the Tynesiders exhibited splendid football, and completely overplayed the Everton eleven, who were hopelessly beaten at the finish. At no period did the latter seen likely to avert defeat; the champions took matters into their own hands from the start, and gaining a grip on the game early on by means of a good goal from Stewart, they never relaxed their hold, and finally prevailed by four goals to one. Seldom has such a complete overthrow of the Everton team been witnessed at Goodison Park; both in attack and defence were the visitors infinitely superior. Their forwards were dashing decisive and always alert, while their combined movements were carried out with rare accuracy and effectiveness. In addition, these men in front were ably supported by three sterling half-backs, who not only smashed up all preconceived notions of the home team, but provided glorious opportunities for their own attacking line which were pounced upon with avidity, and were only repelled with considerable difficulty. Quite opposite methods did the Everton players adopt those. Slow and clumsy in their attempts, and suffering through the want of capable leaders, the forwards were seldom dangerous, and little combination was forthcoming. Veitch and his comrades easily held them, though to tell there was some execuse for their display. Little assistance was grand from the half-backs, who persistently lobbed the ball into the air, and displayed a lack of harmony with the front line, which was strange to witness. As a general rule, there is little fault to find with Everton's play in this respect, but in this game blunders were often perpetrated, and cohesion was almost a minus quantity. Everton were beaten by a team superior in all departments except that of goal, and the Tynesiders once again furnished the Liverpool football public with a taste of their real quality. They were quite three goals better team; their work was sound in every respect, and Everton will need to rouse themselves if they mean to annex League points.

In the first five minutes Howie missed an open goal, but after Mountford had tested Lawrence with a terrific drive some capital passing between Stewart and the inside right bore fruit. Howie transferred to the centre, and Stewart promptly banged the ball past Scott. The Newcastle forwards continued to move in a happy vein, and all along the line deft footwork and accurate passing were noticeable. A perfect opening was provided Freeman by Sharp, but the Everton centre, who has yet to show his last season's form made a sad attempt to convert. Sharp experienced wretched luck with a storming drive that struck the crossbar, after which another reverse befel Everton. Rutherford suddenly broke clean away and whipped the ball in front for Hewie to add a second goal. For a time the Everton forwards rallied, and Coleman breaking through the defence gave Freeman a chance which was accepted. Thus at the interval the League champions led by two goals to one.
In the second half Everton enjoyed the benefits of a fairly strong breeze but they fared even worse than before. Scott kept down the score to a reasonable margin, but a persistent attack by the Newcastle forwards led to a severe onslaught on Scott's charge, and a miskick by Harris proved fatal, for Wilson gained possession and netted a third point. Another goal was debited against them, Rutherford scoring after having three shots charged down in rapid succession. Just before the whistle blew for the cessation of hostilities Freeman received the ball when quite close to Lawrenson, but he managed to steer it into the stand. This was the final disappointing item in a game, which had gone altogether in favour of the Tynesiders. Everton could not grumble at the result, for the points went to a team greatly ahead of them on the day's play, both in skill, determination and intention.

As can be readily gathered, the Everton players failed to give of their best. The only men on the side that maintained his reputation was Scott, who anticipated the final efforts of the Novcastrians with all his old cleverness. Many of his saves were excellent, and the wonder was that he was not more frequently defeated. Balmer was the better of the backs. Both he and his partner often overrun owing to the failure of the halves; their clearances were not well timed, and the pair have often shaped better under similarly trying ordeals. At half-back Taylor worked hard, and met with a fair amount of success, nut neither Makepeace nor Harris did anything above the ordinary, and were frequently responsible for passes to their opponents when their own forwards appeared to have an advantage. In the front line Sharp was an easy leader, and several of his centres merited good results. He was responsible for most of the aggressiveness that came Everton's way, but, unfortunately for his side, Freeman was quite overshadowed by the opposing centre half. Mountford after opening feebly improved as play wore on. In the second half he put plenty of dash into his methods and towards the close was the most effective of the line. The visitors to a man filled their respective positions in very able fashion. Lawrence let nothing pass him that was possible to keep out, and Whitson played a resourceful full-back game. The halves all through were a match for the best efforts of the Everton forwards, and as the pivot Veitch gave one of his finest performances. In the front line Wilson played a great game against his own clubmates, while Rutherford's display as usual bore the hallmark of class.

Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman Freeman, White, and Mountford, forwards. Newcastle United: - Lawrence, goal, McCracken, and Whitson, backs, Jobey, Veitch (Captain), and Lowe, half-backs, Rutherford, Howie, Stewart, G Wilson, and Gosnell, forwards. Referee JH Smith.

September 7, 1909. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 3)
There was a large crowd on the Ash-lane ground last evening when Everton Reserves were the visitors. Dady was replaced in goal by W.Wright. Oliver was also an absentee owing to injury, R.Wright figuring at centre forward. Everton won the toss and had the advantage of a strong breeze in the first half. They at once opened up a determined attack, which culminated in Buck placing over the bar. A corner to the visitors was also profitless. Then Central made an aggressive move, Cregan however, shot too high, while Edmonds headed over the bar. Berry had to save from Lightfoot, but it was the home defence, which was chiefly taxed, and after Gourley had shot over, Borthwick scored for Everton. give and take play ensued. Everton having the best of matters, and Lacey scored a second. At the interval Everton led by 2 goals to nil. The second half opened greatly in favour of Southport. The Everton goal had several narrow escapes, for two fouls by Buck on JH Wright, a free kick was granted after the Everton man had been cautioned by the referee. The ball was well placed, but wild shooting again spoilt the centre. The monotony was relieved somewhat when Buck, from near the corner flag, drove in a beauty which was right on the target, but which failed in the purpose owing to the alertness of the custodian. Central again became prominent, and R. Wright netted the ball, but was a yards offside at the time. An injury to JH Wright caused a temporary cessation of the game, the injury player being carried off the field. Directly afterwards Buck scored Everton's third goal, half an hour from the interval. Southport were by no means done with, and gave the visitors defence a lot of trouble subsequently. They were quite equal to the occasion, however, and the result of the game was another defeat for Central by three goals to nothing. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Meunier, backs Rafferty, Pratt, Borthwick, and Clifford, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Gourley, Anderson, and Woods, forwards.

Belfast Telegraph - Monday 13 September 1909
Information that Alex McCartney, late of Glentoran, Belfast Celtic, Everton, and West Ham United signed on for his old club, Linfield, on Saturday night last.  I have always been a great admirer of the Ballynafeigh lad, and additional support to the Blues, and has already given unbounded satisfaction up Windsor way. 

September 13, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
After having fulfilled three home fixtures with indifferent success –draw win, and loss –Everton opened their away engagement on Saturday with a victory over Preston North End by the narrowest margin-a goal to nothing. The result was satisfactory from the point of view that a team can do no more than win, but, after all a great deal depends in these days, when the levelling up process is more in evidence than ever, upon the manner in which victory is achieved. It cannot be recorded that these was much of a gratifying character about Everton's display at Deepdale beyond the all-important fact that they annexed maximum points. Preston North End, in the two matches they had played, had dropped four points, and only credited themselves with a goal. The inference that their forwards lacked scoring ability was fully borne out in the game with Everton. In the first half their busting tactics in the open kept the visiting defence extended and yet they allowed chances of scoring to pass in what must have been irritating fashion to their anxious supporters. Then later on when they had a “penalty” awarded them, the ball was directed against the upright only to be safely clear on the rebound. No wonder after this escape, which their goal had enjoyed, the Everton forwards apparently came to the conclusion that the game was being thrown at them. Freeman obliged accordingly, and Preston North End sustained their third successive defeat.

Both teams were at full strength, for while the Prestonians admittedly played their best available eleven, the “Blues” had their recognised left wing. Young and Turner, in place of White and Mountford. The ground was in excellent conditions, and by winning the home had what advantage there was from a crosswind. Certainly they forced the game in a manner which delighted their supporters. They swooped down upon the Everton goal in irresistible fashion, but all their good work in midfield was lost owing to lack of finish in the goalmouth. True, one or another of the Everton defenders were there about when danger threatened, and perhaps it was this happy knack of “bobbing up” at the right time which disconcerted the North End attack. It was a long time before the Everton forwards seemed to find their feet, but on the few occasions that they did make their presence felt they were more dangerous than their opponents had been, and McBride had all his work cut out to frustrate the attention of Coleman and Sharp. Still a goalless first half had been greatly in favour of the home team. After the change of ends Everton were a considerably improved side. The front line combined better, and the clever manner in which they at times manipulated the ball flurried the North End halves. The consequence was that McBride position was no sinecure. Freeman once was afforded a chance which last season would have gone straight home, but which he tamely scooped over the bar. As if to make amends for the centre's blunder, Makepeace drove in a terrific shot from long range, which McBride just succeeded in turning outside the post. At last North End had their chance of winning the game. Dawson was in possession well within the penalty area when MaConnachie brought him to the ground. It was looked upon as a forgone conclusion that Lyon would convert the penalty kick , but to the consternation of the crowd he was too careful for in trying to place the ball beyond the reach of Scott, he banged it direct against the upright. A moment later Everton's winning goal arrived, for following a throw in, Young drew the backs, and enabled Freeman to easily defeat McBride. A foul by Balmer on Dawson raised the ire of the crowd, who demanded that the Everton player should be sent off, but happily the bad feeling soon subsided, and beyond the missing of an open goal by Coleman, there was no further incident of note.

If Scott be expected, there was no outstanding player on the Everton side. The custodian preformed his duties in quite his best style. He seemed always to anticipate where danger might be, and in addition to lots of smart work one of his saves from Platt, who shot in from three or four yard's range was a masterly effort. The team as a whole failed to approximate the standard associated with Everton League Football. Not until the latter portion of the game was there anything like a thorough understanding between the halves and forwards. At the same time, there was some neat footwork, but it was too intermittent to afford complete satisfaction to those supporters who visited Proud Preston. Freeman showed an improvement upon his display against Newcastle, but although he obtained the only goal, is not yet the sharpshooter of last season. Sharp and Coleman were the more prominent wing, though Young indulged in some of his trickiest movements. Still even “Sandy” at times found Holdsworth a difficult obstacle to overcome. The half-backs without being brilliant, worked unceasingly, while Balmer and MaConnachie through uneven, defeated capably. North End posses a sound, if somewhat unduly vigorous defence, but if they are to gain League points, the shooting powers of the forward line will have to be materially strengthened. Teams: - Preston North End: - McBride, goal, McFedyon, and Rodway, backs, Holdsworth, Smith, and Lyon, half-backs, Darnell, Pratt, Mountency, Dawson, and Danson, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young, and Turner, forwards. Referee T Robinson.

September 13, 1909, The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One
Everton made their initial appearance of the season at Goodison-park on Saturday, and secured a couple of points at the expense of Preston North End. For the first few minutes of the game play ruled in the visitors' territory, but the home inside men showed poor judgement at close quarters, and their shooting was very inaccurate. Preston then got going, and Hodgson scored with a fine oblique shot, which Berry made but a feeble attempt to stop. The Blues then again adopted aggressive measures and Taylor coming out to clear a centre from Buck, missed the ball and Gourley shot into an empty goal. Just prior to the interval Everton were awarded what appeared to be a very doubtful penalty, and Mountford scored. In the second period play was of a very desultory character, and on each side defence was superior to attack. Mountford and Lacey were the pick of the home forwards, while Meunier and Rafferty were the outstanding men in the other department. On the Preston side Taylor, the custodian was coolness personified and seemed instrintively to be in the right place at the right moment. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Pratt, and Clifford, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Gourlay, Anderson, and Mountford forwards.

September 14, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One
Everton are advancing along the high road to the championship once more. They have now played five matches and have secured nine points out of a possible ten. They have quickly completed their engagement with Oldham Athletic winning at Oldham by 2 goals to 1, and again proving successful in the return engagement yesterday by 4 goals to one. Oldham gave a good account of themselves, but Everton were the better side, and well deserved their success, JC Bardsley, the amateur gave a capable display for Everton, and looks like making a fine back. The Everton forwards gave a smart display, and the defeat of the visitors would have been even more pronounced but for Pennington's clever goalkeeping. Everton pressed at the start, but Michaels sent over, and the visitors pressed, Berry clearing from Reid. After Penningham had saved from Anderson, Oldham pressed again, Bardsley, the amateur back showing clever defensive tactics. Berry kept out a good attempt from Petrie, but Doughy scored for Oldham eight minutes after the start. Everton responded strongly, but did not finish well though it must be said the Oldham backs were very safe. However, good work by the right enabled Gourlay to equalise in 13 minutes. Afterwards Pennington saved well from Anderson and Lacey. The ex-Saltney goalkeeper again saved a fine shot from lacey, and Oldham followed with a fine attack. Mitchell heading wide. Oldham played up well and there was little to choose between the teams. Everton, however, finished better, and from Anderson's pass Gourlay put the home side ahead 10 minutes from the interval. Mountford added a third goal just on the interval, and Everton crossed over leading by 3 goals to 1. On resuming Oldham pressed, and Berry saved from Millar and Petrie in the first few minutes. Butterworth got hurt and retired, leaving Oldham with only ten men. Everton then held the advantage, and Pennington had to save from Lacey and Anderton. Michaels next shot in from the corner flag. Pennington turning the ball over after the ball had hit the bar. The Oldham goalkeeper also kept out a fine drive from Lacey. Everton should have had a penalty when Cook held Mountford, but the referee ignored the appeal. Pratt, however, scored with a long shot in 20 minutes.

Teams: - Everton Reserves: - Berry, goal, Stevenson and JC Bardsley, backs, Rafferty, Pratt, and Clifford, half-backs, Michaels, Lacey, Gourlay, Anderson, and Mountford, forwards. Oldham Athletic Reserves: - Pennington, goal Cook, and Cope, backs, Butterworth, Martin, and Road, half-backs, Petrie, Mitchell, Doughty, Wolstenholme, and Miller, forwards.

September 20, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
After an interesting though by no means a great game Everton on Saturday defeated Notts County at Goodison Park by two goals to nil. The victory was doubly gratifying inasmuch as it was sweet revenge for that unexpected reverse last Christmas Day when Everton were going so strongly for the championship. Although one match only has been lost, and seven points have been accrued from five games it cannot be said that the form of the Goodison-road contingent this season has been altogether satisfying. Perhaps it is that after having been surfeited with high-class play for so many seasons followers of the club are too expectant. Saturday's exhibition showed a considerable advance, but it is not yet of the standard which one hopes to see attained before the season is much older. That they deserved their success over Notts County must be admitted, though had the visiting side been as well served by their attack as they were by their defence a different result might have been registered. As it was Everton secured the third victory, and are now only a point behind the League champions and the cupholders.

It was a day more suitable for cricket than football though delighted indeed for the 25,000 spectators, and Everton had some advantage in having the brilliant sun at their backs. The pace from the start was as hot as the sun, but the forwards work on both sides was faulty in the vicinity of goal. The lengthy Notts custodian had all his work cut out to dispose of a shot from Sharp, and while Scott was not so seriously troubled he had some ticklish shots to negotiate. Coleman was a thorn in the side of Iremonger and for some time it was a case of the Everton forwards trying effectually to penetrate the stubborn Notts defence. Ten minutes from the interval Morley spoiled an otherwise skilful display by an unnecessary foul on Young within the dreaded area, and the goal which Sharp kicked from the penalty kick was the only product of the opening half. Immediately after resuming Mountford cleverly worked himself into a favourable position, only to throw away a chance of distinction by shooting across the goalmouth. The Notts forwards were by no means idle, but there was not sufficient sting in their efforts to cause Scott and his co-defenders any great anxiety. Everton's second goal was a treat. Young although feeling the effects of his injury, found an excellent partner in Mountford and the outcome of their tricky movements the ball was placed in front of Freeman, who is quite his best style, sent it at terrific speed into the corner of the net. After this Notts were a beaten side. Interest, however, was maintained to the end. Taylor created a roar of laughter when after Iremonger had mistakenly placed the ball on the penalty line, the Everton centre half dashed the leather into the net, while just before the finish there was an amusing encounter between Coleman and Iremonger during which, time the custodian was making frantic efforts to get rid of the ball.

Although beaten Notts County are to be congratulated upon a plucky effort. That they still promise sterling defence was very evident for Iremonger and his backs were found plenty of work. Morley unfortunately for his side marred an otherwise fine display by giving away a penalty goal. The forwards were skillful enough in the open, but there was far to much individualism exhibited and little method in front of goal. Except for the goal he scored –and it was a rare shot-Freeman was quite out of the picture. Sharp had a splendid partner in Coleman, but the captain was not as happy as usual with his centres. Young and Mountford proved a capital wing, though “Sandy” after being brought down by Morley fell away somewhat. Mountford has all the makings of a class outside left. He has speed and a good command with the ball and is only lacking in judgement when within shooting range. This is a faulty, however, which experience should remedy. Of the halves Harris was the most conspicuous play, on his best game of the season, but Taylor and Makepeace were always aggressive especially in falling back when danger arrived. Neither Balmer nor MaConnachie were overworked and Scott was fully equal to all the demands made upon him. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young and Mountford forwards. Notts County: - Iremonger, goals, Morley, and Montomery (Captain), backs, Emberton, Clamp, and Craqythorne, half-backs, Waterall, Matthews, Cantwell, Jones and Dodds, forwards. Referee JT Howcroft.

September 20, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One
Everton sustained a rude shock at Burnley, the Turf Moor club defeated the Champs by four goals to nil. It was a big margin between the clubs, but Burnely deserved their success, which was gained by smart football in every department. Ogden opened the scoring which Lomas put on a second from a penalty. In the second half, Dollins and Moffatt doubled the score, and the Turf Moor men run out easy winners. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Pratt, and Crawford, half-backs, Buck Lacey, Gourlay, Anderson, and Michael, forwards.

September 21, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Although yesterday saw Everton's sixth League engagement of the season, it was only their second away from home. It was very successful, however, for they visited Sheffield –or rather, Owlerton Park –and gained all the honours by a three goals to one victory over Sheffield Wednesday. On paper it was a great performance and despite the excellent fight, which their opponents made the Evertonians, were entitled to the laurels. From the records Everton proved inferior to both Middlesbrough and Bury. The Teesiders had triumphed at Owlerton by 5-1, and Bury by 4-1, and yet Everton fell away from grace until the verdict became 3-1. Still that was in no way a discredit to Everton. If Sheffield Wednesday's own supporters are to be relied upon, the Blades played by far their best game of the season yesterday –at least at home. All the greater honour, therefore to the Goodison road side for emerging victorious from a thoroughly interesting and well-contested match. It should be borne in mind that on the opening day of the season Sheffield Wednesday visited Goodison park, and worthily shared the honours of a drawn game.

Witnessing a game, which from first to last, was full of thrills, rewarded those loyal supporters of the Everton Club who journeyed to the cutlery town. Happily, the exciting incidents were favourable to Everton. In the opening half the “Blues” had the sun at their backs- no small advantage –but they played with a certainly and aggressiveness which had to find its reward, sooner or later. Twenty-five minutes however, elapsed before anything was done in the way of a score, but when it did come the change was most agreeable to Everton. Freeman being credited with a couple of goals in as many minutes. The visiting centre was a treat to watch. Helped by Coleman, he worked his way beautifully towards the left until having his opponents in trouble, he placed Everton ahead with a beautiful a shot, which went into the net just underneath the crossbar. Scarcely had the sides settled down before Everton were again aggressive. This time Taylor and Harris led up to the successful work, aided by Coleman the Everton sharpshooter of last season claimed his second goal. Apparently the game should have been given up for lost by Sheffield Wednesday, but to their credit, be it said they displayed magnificent pluck, and they had only Chapman and Wilson to blame for missing chances of equalising. Before the interval Rollinson from a corner scored what proved to be Sheffield Wednesday only goal. The second half was much more favourable to the Wednesday side. Apart from the give-and-take there was a period of at least twenty minutes during which the Everton goal was simply swarmed. Happily Scott was in his best form, while Balmer displayed magnificent defensive tactics, and the result was that ominous attacks were somewhat providentially frustrated. Then sudden change came over the proceeding. Mountford speeded away, his centre brought Davidson to his knees, and Freeman with the greatest of ease diverted the ball into the net. It was an eye opener to the Blades was fought every inch of the ground right to the end without being able to improve their position. Thus Everton won by 3 goals to 1.

It must be conceded that on the play Everton did not deserved to have succeeded by such a substantial margin. They were the better team, though a goal difference would have been a true reflex of the play. The game was full of incident, and if Sheffield Wednesday failed to take advantage of their chances that was their own fault. In view of Everton's success it seems strange to single out Scott and Balmer or special mention. Still it is true that Scott kept a marvellous goal, and that “Bobbie” Balmer played one of the games of his life. At least on two occasions he saved almost certain goals, and he can take to himself the flattering unction that he was the main factor in giving his side the victory by such a pronounced margin. MaConnachie though not too well in health was always resourceful, and the half-backs were a level lot-to even that one would not care to single one out for special praise. As for the front line, the great feature was Freeman's return to form. Not only was he responsible for the hat-trick, but his play throughout was a marked advance upon anything he has given this season. He distributed the play better, and his trapping of the ball combined with his marvellous dexterity in seizing openings was reminiscent of his best days. The forward play as a whole was not too satisfactory, but after a 3-1 victory, why grumble. On yesterday's form Sheffield Wednesday cannot be deprived of victory for long. Unfortunately for them, they met a defence, which absolutely would not be beaten. Teams: - Sheffield Wednesday: - Davidson, goal, Layton, and Slavin backs, Brittleson, Spoors, and Taylor, half-backs, Kirkman, Chapman, Wilson, Rollinson, and Tummon, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain) Coleman, Freeman, White, and Mountford, forwards. Referee AE Farrant.

September 27 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton on Saturday accomplished that for which they had been striving a dozen seasons. They defeated Newcastle United at St.Jame's Park by two goals to one. It was the bright particular event is the twenty-four League encounters in which the two famous teams had participated. Prior to Saturday Newcastle United were in the proud position of having won 14, lost 6, and drawn 3 of their League contest with Everton. Moreover, Everton's victories had all been gained at Goodison Park. All the more gratifying was it that at last Everton should have recorded their initial success on the ground of the Novocastrians. The long journey to the banks of the Tyne amply repaid the Evertonians, for they returned home with a couple of points –and, metaphorically speaking, £300. The money was acceptable, but even then not so keenly relished as the points. In any event Mr. W.C.Cuff and his directors are to be congratulated upon having made a financial arrangement with the United management which has proved satisfactory to both organisations. One club or the other had to have a mid-week fixture in order to keep open dates in an early round of the English Cup ties, and as the outcome of the pooling of the “gates” –roughly £600 at Goodison-Park, and £1,200 at Newcastle –Everton have to draw £300 from the coffers of the League champions. Everything considered it will be readily understood what a pleasing visit it was to Newcastle.

The win, too, was absolutely merited. It was not such a one-sided affair as at Goodison Park on the first Monday of the season, but there was no doubt that the honours went to the better side. Singularly enough the game opened all in favour of the Newcastle men, and when they were a goal to the good inside two minutes there were visions of another decisive reverse for the “Blues” so bewildering were the movements of the home eleven. But Everton displayed real grit and rose to the occasion in a manner, which entitles them to infinite praise. They realised that a change of tactics was required to neutralise the machine like work of their opponents. Their scheme of offensive and defensive work turned the game round completely. It is a pity that it is not more generally practiced. The inside forwards whenever danger threatened fell back so that the Newcastle forwards had really to contend with five halves. Generally this was too much for them, but more important than all there were fast man like Sharp, Freeman, and Mountford waiting and willing to receive a pass in their own half, and dash away for goal. With such an artist as Freeman at his best little wonder was it that the opposing defence were at times flurried to such an extent as to lose their heads. At half-time Everton enjoyed a lead of two goals to one, and retaining their grip of the game they never looked like being beaten in fact, some time before the close Newcastle United had given up hope, so demoralised did they become.

Although many fine shots were sent in on both sides the story of the all-important goals may be briefly told. Newcastle started in most businesslike fashion. Makepeace cleverly intervened Scott gathering the ball from Rutherford at the foot of the upright, but before one had really settled down Stewart sent across to Wilson, who dribbled past Harris, placed the ball in front of Shepherd end it was in the net with Scott helpless. As already indicated some minutes elapsed before Everton found the net. Their improvement was gradual, but when they did start in earnest they made matters lively for the Newcastle defenders. Young was a second too late to convert a centre from Mountford, and Freeman showed that he had brought his shooting boots with him. At any rate Lawrence would doubtless pay him that tribute. Everton's first goal was the outcome of Freeman's dash, for Lawrence coming out to a fast shot could only push the ball away by throwing himself fell length to the ground. Mountford was well up and despite the attentions of McCracken he equalised with a fast low drive into the corner of the net before the custodian could recover from his previous save. A few minutes later Everton should have taken the lead. Freeman worked his way along the left wing and from near the line sent across the goalmouth. It was a glorious chance for either Sharp and Coleman, but unluckily as it happened Young appeared on the scene, and the ball striking him on the leg it travelled outside the post. However, before the interval the impressible Freeman delighted friend and foe alike with a superb individual effort. Gathering the ball just inside his own half, he speeded along the closely cropped grass had nothing to say to either MCCracken or Whitson and crashed the ball into the net far beyond the reach of Lawrence. It was one of those goals, which thrill even a presuinably hostile crowd. As events turned out it was the goal, which gave Everton a couple of points.

Not a member of the winning team failed to do his duty. Freeman was the man who caught the eye, but the victory was the outcome of concerted action and good generalship. With impartial feeding of the centre and the outside men on the part of Coleman and Young the attack was improved, while under pressure the defence was strengthened. Not that the defenders were in any way lacking. Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace formed the line, which did so much towards putting the United forwards off their usual game. The “veteran” was indeed great until in the closing stages he received a nasty tap on the ankle in a bout with McCracken. Balmer and MaConnachie were both goo, indeed the latter afforded the speedy Rutherford little scope for displaying his ability. While Scott was great Lawrence was equally brilliant and was the outstanding figure on the losing side. Veitch also played a splendid game, but was feebly supported by Jobey and Low. McCracken and Whitson were not too safe, and as for the front line they fell away badly after Everton had asserted their superiority.

Teams: - Newcastle United: - Lawrence goal, Whitson, and McCracken, backs Jobey, Veitch (Captain), and Lowe, half-backs, Rutherford, Scott, Shepherd, Stuart, and Wilson, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young, and Mountford, forwards.

September 27, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One
At Goodison Park on Saturday. Everton drew with Manchester City, 1-1, in a game, which was of a very mediocre characteristic. On the run of the play the Blues were decidedly fortunate in capturing a point, for the work of their forwards were wretched. The initial half was uneventful, and on both sides the defence was superior to the attack. After the resumption the City scored a clever goal through Wynn, and from a breakaway Michaels equalised with a shot which struck the crossbar before entering the net. The visitors made determined efforts to secure the lead again, but try as they would they could not beat down the defence set up by Berry, Stevenson, and Bardsley. If Everton are going to retain the championship their forwards will have to show a decided improvement. Perhaps the reintroduction of “prescot” Jones will have the desired effort, for he is the type of forward to trouble the stoutest defence. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Bardsley, backs, Rafferty, Borthwick, and Adamson, half-backs, Micheals, Lacey, Gourlay, Anderson, and Woods .




September 1909