December 1892


December 3, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton go forth today upon a trying journey, as they have to enter the lists once more at Deepdale with Preston North End, the present champions. Only once have Everton won a League at Preston, which was in 1889-90, by 2 goals to 1 –and indeed, this is the only time that Everton have scored a League success over Preston North End. Last year, at Anfield a draw ensued, but on all other occasions Everton were beaten. Recent form will not induce a feeling of confidence in the Evertonians today, but, as will be seen below, the team selected, if Kelso is quite fit and well, is a much more reassuring one than some that have done battle for the club of late. There will be the usual easy railway facilities for those who wish to see how their favourites acquit themselves.

Everton v. Preston North End, Preston, Kick-off at 2.15 p.m. The following will play for Everton;- Williams, goal; Kelso, and Howarth, backs; Boyle, Holt and Jamieson, half-backs; Latta, Gordon, Maxwell, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.


Everton v. Stockport County, Goodison Park. Kick-off 2.30 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Jardine, goal; Taylor or Newtown) and Campbell, backs; Chadwick, Jones, and Coyle, half-backs; McLaren, Murray, Smith, McMillan, and Elliott, forwards.


Everton Combination v Thursday League, Goodison Park


December 5, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton on Saturday were beaten more decisively by Preston North End in a League match than they had ever before –by no less than 5 goals to nil, and all scored in the first half. Last year at Deepdale he measure of defeat was 4 goals to nil, so there is here further evidence that Everton have deteriorated even from their status of last year. The easy overthrow in the more severe when it is remembered that Preston North End was a man short for the last hour's play, Drummond's leg having again been injured, so as to render him of little service, a few minutes from the start, finally compelling him to withdraw altogether. The ground was in a terrible condition, covered with water and soft mud; but this is no excuse for Everton, as the inconvenience of insecure footing affected all alike. Everton were the inferior team in every department, especially in defence –at least during the first half –and though the visitors had a few shots they were never really dangerous up to the interval. The home team, on the other hand, played with great dash, keeping well possessed of the ball, and passing and shooting with great speed and capital judgment, most of the shots being brilliant. The second half was more in favour of Everton, who were oftener at goal; and though the shooting was rather above their average, it was always repelled by the giants deputed to defend North End's goal. Impatient as Evertonians must be for their team to win a match, those who saw the brilliant tactics of Preston North End could not but foul admiration. Trainor, N.J. Ross, and Holmes were insuperable barriers, and never seemed at fault. The half-backs were not so successful, but they were a clever lot; and of the forwards, smart as they all were, Jimmy Ross was the greatest cause of terror to Williams and his colleagues. His activity is marvelous and the manner in which he ran round his opponents, then to shoot terrifically, was worthy of Ross's best days. Williams made innumerable good saves, but on the whole he is not to be congratulated on his performances, and he was sadly astray in running out to meet a shot which gave Preston their first goal. That he had so much employment does not redound to the credit of the Everton backs and half-backs, among whom Holt alone played up to reputation. The forwards were in very fair form, combining well, and if any are to be singled out as more effective than their colleagues, the qualm must be given to Maxwell, who worked unselfishly and accurately at centre, whilst Gordon was best in the shooting line.

The Everton Combination Team, who on Saturday played Stockport County, winning by 4 goals to 1, on Thursday afternoon will try conclusions with a team selected from clubs forming the Liverpool commendable one –to provide breakfasts for the waite and strays of Liverpool –the event should be liberally patronised.


December 5 1892 The Liverpool Mercury

The first League match of the season between thses clubs, took place at Preston on Saturday in the presence of about 7,000 specatators. The weather was fine at start, but rain fell fast towards the finsih and the ground was in a very muddy stae, so much so that the players in a few minutes were plastered. The teams were ‘'Thompson'' being the assumed name of a man who had already played once at Everton- North End;- Trainer, goal, Holmes, and N.J Ross (captain) backs, Grier, Saunders, and Drummond half-backs, Cowan, Ross (junior), Russell, Beckton and gordon, forwards,. Everton:- Williams goal, Howarth (captain) and Thompson (r), backs Boyle, Holt and Jamieson half-backs, Latta, Gordon, Maxwell, Chadwick and Milward forwards. Everton having kicked off opened full of promise as Gordon tested Trainer. The visitors returned on the right and on Drummond kicking out, he wrenched his left leg and was evidently injured. He limped on however, and North End went away with a burst, but Howarth checked, and J Ross was compelled to shoot outside. Holt scored of Russell, and Maxwell went near in, but before a shot was permitted, Drummond drove clear, and Russell and J Ross running jointly the latter scored. Williams failing in his effort to step out to meet the ball. Prest North End quickly returned when Saunders turned a pass from Ross to account, and in seven minutes Everton found thenselves in a minority of 2 goals. J Ross then had a hard shot, Williams this time caught the ball. ‘'Thompson'' also cleared once or twice coolly and Latta tried to shift the venue but he was foiled by N.J.Ross. Everton were not to be easily dislodged just now and twice Milward centred well, but Ross removed danger on each occasion. Cowan next shot out, followed by Jamieson and ‘'Thompson'' who caused the ball to be run out. Everton a few minutes later raised the hopes of their supporters by closing in towards goal. Holmes, however, kicked out from Latta's shot and the ball finally went over the goal line. This, unluckily, was the prelude to a further reverse for Everton, as Beckton helped Russell to beat both Howarth and Williams. In a little while Everton actually penetrated goal, but it did not count, as the whistle sounded for some informality just as the kick was being taken. Everton made a brief stay, culminating in Latta shooting hard into Trainer's hands. Drummond at this juncture left the field but Everton could profit nothing from this fact, as Russell with the game just 25 minutes old madew the record 4 goals to nil in favour of North End. They continued to have much the best of the play, and, after several near shaves Beckton took the ball amidst some amusement from Thompson whilst in the act of blocking it and spanked it between the posts. The day was hopelessly lost to Everton long before the last downfall but they never gave in, and between now and the interval were near scoring once or twice. Chadwick, Gordon and Maxwell each causing Trainer to use his hands. Milward also felt his mark on the bar from a shot that deserved better success. ‘'Thompson'' leading up to the recess robbed the right wing of Preston cleverly and staved off further disater. Everton on resuming, had the first brush near goal, as Gordon and Maxwell passed down but Chadwick shot wrenchedly. A free kick to the home team was ominous, but the ball was headed away. Back went Cowan to shoot keenly to Williams, who fisted grandly. Latta next sent across to Milward, who was off-side,, and the opportunity passed away. Everton certainly showed a vast improvement now, and keeping a firmer hard attacked very solidly, though they were not clever enough to find a foothole. Howarth put his forwards on the attack again, with a lob, when Trainer only kept his goal intact with difficulty. Again Gordon drove in spendidly at long range but Trainer though pushed gathered and cleared the ball. Attacks followed next, Chadwick Gordon and Latta the best shot, being that of the last named., which Holmes stopped with a foot. North End then besieged the Everton goal, but Howarth came to the rescue twice. It was some minutes before the siege was raised, and when this was done, Chadwick shot so well that it enforced a corner. The light now grew very imperfect, and when the end came Everton were Beaten by 5 goals to nil. No goals ensuing during the second half.



December 5, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

At Everton, before 2,000 spectators. Smith scored after ten minutes and soon added a second goal. Jardine next put the ball through his own net, and Pinnel obtained a third for Everton who at the interval lead by three goals to 1. In the second half Everton had touch the best of the play,, and finally Pinnell scored and Everton winning by 4 goals to 1.

Everton team, Jardine, goal, Taylor, (of Newton), and Campbell, backs, Chadwick, Jones, Coyle and McLaren, half-backs, Murray, Smith, Pinnell McMillan and Elliott forwards.

Placed 1 st , played 11 won 10, lost 0, drew 1, for 55, against 3, points 21


December 6, 1892 The Liverpool Mercury

A match under this title was played at Goodison Park yesterday the object being to provide funds for the purpose of giving breakfast to the waifts and stays of Liverpool. Their was a fair attendance. Everton pressed repeatedly during the first half and scored 3 goals to nil. Subsqently the scoring was even-one each and the result was Everton 4, Thursday League.

Everton Team, Rennie goal Coyle Clark backs Jones Leay and McLaren half-backs, Smith, Murray Pinnel McMillan and Elliott, forwards.


December 10, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

The league will contribute seven matches this afternoon and among them is that of Everton v. Wolverhampton Wanderers at Goodison Park. A stern game is assured, for each club will be eager to improve its position. Everton have selected a capital team to do battle for the club, and if they all turn out fit and well there should be no doubt about the issue being favourable to the Liverpoolians, despite the fact that the “Wolves” last week administered a defeat to Stoke, who had staved off reverse in their eight proceeding matches. It is time Everton won, and they will have to fight hard today if their flag is to be run up in triumph.

Everton v. Wolverhampton Wanderers at Goodison Park. Kick-off at 2.30 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Jardine, goal; Kelso and Howarth, backs; Boyle, Holt, and Jamieson, half-backs; Latta, Gordon, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.


December 12, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury (G 107)

The Last League match of the season between these clubs was played at Goodison Park. Snow was falling at the time of commercement and this coupled with the fact Everton last two League matches with spectatots numbering 7,000 or 8,000.. teams:- Everton Jardine goal, Kelso and Howarth (captain) backs Boyle Holt and Jamesion half-backs, Mildwild Chadwick, Geary, Gordon, and Latta forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers:-Rose goal, Baugh, and Swift, backs Davies, Allen, and Malpass half-backs Woodhall Baker Wood Devey and Butcher, forwards Kelso and Jardine stepped onto the field of play. The home team went direct from the kick off to goal on the left, but Geary shot outside. The Wanderers then moved on their left, ansd Kelso found employment and checked his opponent Swift on the ball being finally headed out. Everton returned to the goal on the left and Milward shot,, forcing the goalkeeper to handle. And Gordon score with easy with a hard shot. A long cheer signalled the good fortune of Everton on assuming the lead. Within Five minutes, but the joy was immediately modified as, on an Evertonian being penalised the free kick was taken by Allen with good judgement,, and Wood touched it through. Everton display great energy especially Milward and Geary, and the ‘'Wolves'' defence had a trying time of it, but it held out grandly the nearest shot coming from Geary. Play was opened on the visitors right, when Woodhall sprinted out of reach of Jamieson and Howarth, but shot badly. Geary was very conscpious during the next few minutes. He was in spendid form, and the ground thanks to the re-turfing that had been done, giving him a fair chance, he sprinted in towards goal several times, generally winding up woth a sharp shot. From one of these he forced a corner, and then Milward also essayed a quick run and keen shot, experoencing hard lines in banging the ball against the near post. The attack was so well conceived that just when most people expecting Everton to take the lead, the boot went on the opther foot. Wood driving into goal with a long shot, which Jardine failed to check. The visitors were not permitted to return to goal for some time, as Everton had much of the play that immediately followed, during which period Geary tested Rose, and Milward drove in obliquely so well that the latter though he had compelled the custodian top get behind the line in gathering the ball. It was evidently a near thing. The Wanderers were well kept back by the activity of Holt, Howarth, and Kelso in particular and chances were created for the left wing but both Milward and Chadwick were at fault in shooting. Geary tried an effort of his own but was baulked in time and when Latta put the ball into goal shorthly nafterwards Rose saved capitally. Otherraids were made by Everton who could find no flaw in the Wolverhampton defence. Then the scene changed again, and Jardine was successful in running out to meet a shot from Allen. The visitors were not dislodged for a few minutes, but they could not get in a likely shot. Everton relieved in a pretty movement with an ugly finish as Chadwick made a blind shot and after Devey had placed pver the goal line the interval arrived with Wolverhampton leading by 2 goals to 1. Devey, who was crippled through a wrench of the leg, he received a fortnight ago, changed places with Baker on resuming. Everton re-opened in the most promising manner. Geary dashing off and passing out to latta who promptly centred to Geary, and a hard shot by the latter beat Rose, and put Everton on an equality with their was now a tussle for a leading point. The ‘'Wolves'' were not far from obtaining this a Minutes of so after, but got nothing more valuable than a corner though they were driven off with much difficulty. Chadwick had the next shot, and then Howarth from a free kicked, lobbed into the net but it did not count as the ball had not been touched in its passage. Latta shortly following,centred and Geary shot gradually, but Rose saved equally well, and then anxiety was experienced by the Evertonians as Wood shot accurately and found Jardine in two minds how to clear. He attempted to nick up, but changed the idea, and had just time to kick clear. It was a relief to the home team when the ball rolled over the line; but in a moment fear turned into enthusiaum as Latta run and passed to Geary who could not quite reach the ball. Milward, however, did, and shot at Rose, who fisted, and Chadwick atoned for some previous error by bagging a really brilliant goal. Everton and their supporters were of course upon good terms with themselves as the issue was probably settled. The home team were again threatening, but Gordon went wide, and Milward skied the ball. The visitors rallied, and gave much trouble to the Everton defenders. Devey was wide in a long shot, Baker returned and forced a corner though Boyle had intercepted him. Baker shortly following missed a chance created by Woodfall and Butcher was similarly faulty. Play continued to be keen, and both Geary and Latta made excellent attempts. Jardine was also requistioned more than once, and, like Rose, holding out, a fast game terminated in a win for Everton by 3 goals to 2.


December13, 1892. The Yorkshire Herald

The Everton have just secured the services of Stewart, the well known left half back of Burnley club, who has been registered with the League and the Association, and will be available to play in the League engagement with Notts County next Saturday. Stewart, whose football abilities are of a very high order, has been a member of the Burnley team for several years, and his change to Everton, he said to be due to some friction with his late employers.


December 15 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

A match between these teams took place yesterday afternoon, on at the Police Athletic Soceity Ground. Everton tried a new Centre-forwarsd in Hartley who had been fulfilling a smilar position for Dumbarton. A one sided game ended in favour of Everton 11 goals to nil.

Everton team, Rennie, goal, Coyle, and Collins backs, Coolinson, Jones, Jamieson half-backs, Maxwell McLaren Hartley, McMillan, and Elliott, forwards


December 16, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

A further meeting of the committee entrusted with the arrangements of the approaching threatening football match at the ground of the Everton Football Club was held yesterday afternoon at the Bee Hotel, under the presidency of Mr. Mahon. Additional sub-committees were appointed, and the preliminary work completed in that respect. The Mayor of Liverpool (Mr. R.D. Holt) has promised his support, and will attend personally if practicable. The date of the festival was fixed for February 2.



December 17, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton pay their customary visit to Trent Bridge to play the first customary visit to Trent Bridge to play the first of their two fixtures with Notts County, and after the success last week against the Wolverhampton Wanderers, and, on the contrary Notts failure at Accrington, Evertonians ill re-visit the midlands with a sanguine feeling. They will have the assistance for the first time of Stewart who whilst with Burnley proved a half-back above the average. Everton have not been always successful at the headquarters of Notts County, but they were so last year, then winning by 3 goals to 1. Why not now? Everton v. Notts County, Nottingham will play for Everton; Jardine, goal; Howarth and Kelso, backs; Boyle, Holt, and Stewart, half-backs; Latta, Gordon, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.


Everton v. Wrexham, Goodison Park. Kick-off at 2.15 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Rennie, goal; Chadwick and Collins, backs; Coyle, Jones, and Jamieson, half-backs; Smith, McLaren, Pinnell, McMillan, and Elliott, forwards.


December 17, 1892. The Nottingham Evening Post

Considering how badly, in a sense Everton have played in the League this season, Notts were justified in hoping that they would be able to obtain two more points in the competition this afternoon, when they met the Liverpool men for the first time this season. They were able to place a full team in the field, Bramley having recovered from his indisposition, to be able to take his usual place. Everton were also strongly represented, Stewart, late of Burnley, making his first appearance with the team. The afternoon was mild and fine, and there was an attendance of about 10,000 spectators. Oswald kicked off, and after Burnley had missed his kick and lost the ball by his slowness, Kelso cleared a long shot by Whitelaw. A foul in the Everton half was easily got away by Stewart, and then Geary was conspicuous for a neat dribble along the centre. He subsequently gave the ball to Chadwick, but Waitelaw robbed him before he became dangerous. Milward again got close up, but his final shot was a trifle wide of the post. Chadwick making a similar mistake a minute later. From a fine screw by Milward, Latta headed in, and Toone only just reached the ball in time and fisted out. Everton were doing all the pressing, and the Notts goal was several times in danger. Latta forced a corner off Hendry, but the first-named placed behind from the flag kick. Another corner was conceded the visitors directly afterwards, and from this McInnes relieved. Then Oswald took up the running, and a long pass was made to Daft, but Stewart interpassed when he centred. Latta got away along the right, but Whitelaw stopped him cleverly, and Bruce, who received the ball, made a pretty run the who length of the field, but he finished up with a poor shot, and Stewart cleared. Everton again assumed the aggressive, but a foul against Chadwick for “hands” relieved the pressure, and some midfield play ensued. Calderhead stopped Gordon very cleverly when he was getting dangerous, and then Oswald, Daft and Bruce broke away in splendid style. The latter finished with a fine shot, but Jardine saved. A minute later Oswald again got clear away and appeared to have a good chance of scoring, but his shot passed right across the goal and went out on the other side before Daft could reach it. Notts pressed, the Everton backs and half-backs being kept busy for several minutes, but eventually Latta changed the scene of operations and getting clear of Calderhead had a fine opening, but he sent just over the bar with a splendid shot. Bruce and Oswald broke away from the goal kick, and the last-named player cleverly trickling, Howarth, sent in an excellent shot which, however, was a trifle too high. At the other end Chadwick made a side shot, and the ball appeared to be passing outside, but Hendry headed it, and the ball falling at Latta's feet he shot beautifully, and scored the first goal for Everton after twenty minutes' play. On restarting Everton again immediately went to the front, and Toone had to pick up a long rolling shot from the right wing. McInnes broke splendidly away, and he looked very likely to score, when Holt got behind him and tried to trip him. The referee very properly cautioned him, and awarded Notts a free kick. Bramley placed the ball nicely into goal, but Kelso headed away, and Bramley accidentally fouling the ball, Everton relieved, Geary, getting possession in the centre of the field made one of his usually tricky runs close up to goal, but he spoiled it by a bad shot, sending wide. Still Everton were having all the best of matters. Their right wing put in an amount of capital work, and often got the best of Hendry. Once Latta screwed almost from the line right into goal, and it took Toone all his time to clear. A quick rush was made to the other end, and McInnes put in a good shot, which Jardine stopped. Shelton was kicked in the face of Jamieson, and the game was stopped for several seconds. On resuming, Gordon got away, and Toone had to clear a well-directed shot from him. Oswald changed the venue, and cleverly beating Stewart gave the ball to McGregor, who shot, Howarth heading out. Hendry stopped Latta and Gordon very neatly, and then after some clever work by the Notts, forwards, McInnes, who received the ball from a pass by McGregor, had a splendid opening, with no one but the goalkeeper to beat. He made a good kick, which looked certain to score, but Jardine saved magnificently by falling upon the ball. After a sharp scrimmage the ball was got away. Everton transferred the scene of operations, and Chadwick sent in a slow shot to Toone, which he had no difficulty in clearing. Then Oswald had a great chance, but his shot went high over the bar. The same player had another opening immediately afterwards, but he shot straight at Jardine, who easily cleared. Geary and Chadwick broke away, and the former sent right across the goal, Hendry missed the ball, and Gordon put in a grand shot, Toone, however, was equal to the occasion and cleared splendidly. A free kick to Everton followed, and Howarth placed only just over the Notts crossbar. Daft made a run along the left, and was passing to shoot when Kelso tripped him. The referee awarded Notts a free kick, and a sharp scrimmage ensued in goal. Oswald shot, and Bruce missed a fine opportunity, allowing Kelso to clear. Whitelaw, who had rushed forward, shot splendidly, and Jardine only just saved. The siege was then relieved, and half-time arrived with the score;- Notts 0, Everton 1

After the interval Notts started at a great pace, McGregor and McInnes forced their were along the right, but they were beaten back Gordon got off-side, and the free-kick enabled Notts to get in front. McInnes only shot slowly when tight in front, Jardine picking up and throwing away, and he dealt in a similar way with one which succeeded by Bruce. Geary again slipped through, and everybody was expecting that he would score, when he kicked the ground instead of the ball. The ball was easily cleared, and Oswald got well through. He passed to Daft, who sent in a deceptive carling shot, which jar dine fisted out. Everton again went to the front, and there was a fine open charge on the Notts goal. Shots were made from all directions, but Whitelaw and Hendry stopped them. Then Oswald was seen careering along on the right, and he sent well in. Daft charged Jardine at the moment he got possession, but although the goalkeeper fell he saved. Latta and Gordon were again prominent, and Shelton was very clever to stop the ball, but Stewart immediately sent into the Notts, goal, and Toone had to clear. Then Chadwick shot, and the ball struck the cross-bar, Hendry then kicking away. Notts gradually worked to the other end, but Bruce shot pass when he ought to have done better. Next McGregor centred well, and Kelso almost headed through his own goal, Jardine being very smart to save. Everton relieved, and Hendry twice stopped Latta. Chadwick sent in a shot from the left, and the ball glancing off Hendry's boot when he tried to kick away, the ball went sharply into goal. Toone stopped it, and at the same time withstood a charge by Milward, who went falling over him and was hurt. The game again opened out, but a free kick for a foul gave Notts, the advantage. Bramley, however, passed wide. From the goal kick Oswald and Bruce ran close in, but they were prevented from shooting, the ball being kicked out by an Everton man. The corner kick was of little avail, for the ball was got away. Daft sent well across, and McGregor headed in. Jardine again saved, but he was hurt by a kick as he did so, and the game was suspended for a minute. On resuming Notts, continued to attack, and it took Kelso and Howarth all their time to keep Oswald and McGregor from scoring, for there was some very exciting play in the Everton goal. At last the pressure was relieved, the Everton left leading the way to the other end. Toone had once to throw away a shot which stopped almost dead, but the ball was quickly returned, and in the scrimmage Geary got possession, and scored the second goal after 25 minutes play in the second half. This was very disappointing for Notts, but they still played with great energy. They kept the ball in their opponents' half, but they were not dangerous, and the kicking was rather wild. Milward broke away, and, running “all over the field” crossing as a matter of fact on to the right wing, he luckily got the ball past Hendry, Latta shot in fine style, and Toone could only just reach the ball to save. Calderhead conceded a corner, and Milward made a close shot from it. Everton remained aggressive, Milward again sending past. At last Notts, broke away and scored. Bruce getting the ball in the centre carried it cleverly along the left, and shooting on the ground, Oswald, who had rushed up to the goal, very smartly tipped it through. Everton restarted with a dash, and Hendry stopped a good shot. Then Notts again got away, and after Daft had once tried and failed, McGregor sent through. The whistle had, however, gone for Oswald having been off-side and the point was not allowed. Everton ran to the other end, and Chadwick sent close. A minute later he again put over the bar, Notts again tried to get through, but a bad pass by McInnes spoiled the run. This was the fault with Oswald after another smart burst by the Notts forwards, but he was not to blame, for he had no time. McInnes made a slow shot, and then Geary got right away. Hendry reached him, and deliberately tripped him a free kick, of course, being awarded. This was of no avail. Notts rushing away, but being immediately beaten back. Some midfield play followed, Daft at last getting away. McInnes made a shot at goal, but Kelso cleared. Latta and Geary broke away in nice style, but Chadwick got off-side, and danger was averted. Still, Everton remained aggressive, and Geary gave Toone a nice straight shot to stop. He did so with ease, and time was called, the result being; Notts 1, Everton 2. Everton, Jardine goal, Kelso, and Howarth (captain), backs, Stewart, Holt, and Jamieson, half-backs, Latta, Gordon Geary, Chadwick and Milward forwards. Notts County:- Toone, goal, Whitlaw and Hendry, backs, Bramley, Calderwood, and Shelton, half-backs, McGregor, McInnes, Oswald Bruce and Daft forwards.


December 19, 1892. The Nottingham Evening Post

Notts, have generally failed to do themselves justice in matches with Everton, and Saturday's game on Trent Bridge was no exception to the rule, for Notts, played nothing like the game they have against many other clubs, and on the day's play, were beaten on their merits. The result caused great disappointment among the supporters of the club, for the respective performances of the teams up to the present pointed to a victory for Notts. Everton included in their team for the first time Stewart, the ex-Burnley half-back, who played a very fine game, but they were minus the Old-Dumbarton half, Boyle, who is one of the most effect players wearing a jersey at the present time. The game was not a particularly good one. The Everton forwards, it is true, passed finely on the whole, but the Notts men could not get going until the game was almost over, and had it not been for Oswald, who never once relaxed his exertions to make up lost ground, it is doubtful whether they would have scored at all. As it was there was not a great amount of accuracy in front of goal –indeed, splendid openings were lost by both sides –and when the ball was shot in jar dine proved that he is an clever as ever he was, and, if he has the good fortune not to get injured Everton need look no further for a custodian. On the whole Everton had the best of the game, and, although they are far from being the team they were a couple of seasons ago, they are by no means to be despised, and ought to finish in the League competition in a much better position than they are at present. A noticeable feature about them is that they have cast aside the claret-coloured jerseys they were last season and have adopted the light blue jerseys which the now defunct Blackburn Olympic made so famous, when they brought the Association Cup away from the Southerners in 1883. Of all the players engaged probably the most notable were the two goalkeepers. Jardine saved many shots in capital fashion, but he had not as much to do as had Toone, who week after week beare out the great reputation he possesses of being probably the best custodian in the country. On the Notts side Hendry was very weak indeed in the first portion, and although he tackled finely in the second half he could not kick with his accustomed vigour. He was to blame for the loss of the first goal as he headed the ball when it was going out, and it went to the foot of Latta, who scored. Whitelaw was safer than his partner, but he has played many better games, and at half-back Bramley had rather more than he could manage in Chadwick and Milward. Calderhead and Shelton worked hard, and forward Oswald was the best man on the side, although Bruce made two very fine runs in the first portion, and really deserved the credit for the goal which Oswald scored, as it was the outcome of cool play and a quick shot by the Notts left wingman. The other three men were not as smart as usual, and McInnes missed one splendid chance, shooting when he might have almost dribbled the ball through. Kelso and Howarth has lost a great deal of dash which he used to posses. The half-backs were exceptionally strong, the diminutive Holt doing an immense amount of work. Forward there was good combination, all playing well, but Geary more than once, when he got through the defence, overran the ball, a fault which has always characterised his play.



December 19, 1892. The Wrexham Advertiser

Played on the Goodison road ground, Liverpool, on Saturday, before about 2,000 spectators. Hayes started for Wrexham, and after some fine passing by the visitors, Hayes shot just a little wide. Everton were dangerous, but hands stopped them for a time. Dodd gave a corner, in saving a shot from Smith, and this was sent behind. Dodd saved a fine shot from Elliott. A free kick for Everton was returned, and then McLaren shot behind. A free kick for Wrexham in midfield followed, and good passing by the Wrexham in midfield followed, and good passing by the Wrexham forwards was applauded. A good shot by Smith was saved by Dodd, and then McLaren kicked behind. A corner for Everton came to nothing, and then Wrexham paid a short visit to the other end. Smith was well placed, but Evan Williams came across and saved at the expense of a corner, which was badly placed and came to nothing. Good play by Wilding gained ground for the visitors, but the ball was shot behind. Everton were quickly at the opposite end, and after Dodd had saved from Elliott, Smith kicked over the bar. A corner for Everton was kicked behind. Davies and Pugh made a nice run, Chadwick returned and Elliott hot wide. Directly afterwards, R. Jones had a try, but sent over. Everton pressed, and from a corner, which was beautifully placed, the ball was rushed through, thus scoring the first goal for the home team. A couple of corners for Everton were not improved upon, and then a free kick for Wrexham relieved the pressure for a time. The ball was however, quickly returned, and another corner, which was sent behind, resulted. Smith got through, but as he was clearly off-side, no score was allowed. Then Wrexham had a look in, but Hayes shot wide. Play was in the home quarters for a short time, and then Dodd was again called upon. A good shot from Maxwell was saved at the expense of a corner, which was safely got away. Hayes got past the home backs, but the whistle went for off-side. Rennie had to hit out a shot from the same player directly afterwards. Two corners for Everton were not improved upon. Elliott had a splendid chance of scoring, after good play by Pinnell sent in a long shot. Dodd kicked at the ball, but it twisted off his foot and went into the net, thus scoring the second goal for Everrton. At half-time then, the home team led by two goals to nil. On changing ends, Dodd had at once to kick out, Elliott was nicely placed, but shot behind. A corner for the home team was cleared, and then Pugh made a good run. He crossed the ball, but when Turner was well placed, the whistle went for some informality. Directly afterwards from a cross by Elliott, Maxwell scored a third goal. “Hands” for Everton in midfield was followed by a corner, which was got away, and Wrexham got to the opposite end, Owen shooting wide. Elliott did the same at the Wrexham goal. A corner for Everton was well placed, and the fourth goal was rushed through. Lea did some fine work, and then Chadwick stopped the visitors left wing when dangerous. The visitors had the best of the play for some time, and bombarded the Everton goal. The defence was safe, however, and the home forwards breaking away, Elliott scored a fifth goal. From the restart Pugh had an opening, but shot a little wide. A free kick for “hands” near the home goal was well placed by Lea, and J. Turner headed through for Wrexham. Samuels was directly afterwards hurt, and had to be carried off the ground. On the restart Pinnell scored a sixth goal with a long shot. Wrexham got to the home goal, and Rennie saved a shot from Turner. A free kick for Wrexham near the home goal was followed by a similar advantage for Everton. Wrexham played up pluckily, and nearly all the forwards had shots at the home goal. They were unable to score, however, McMillan got possession, and after making a magnificent run, passed, when in front of goal, to Pinnell, who easily scored the seventh point. Dodd saved well from Smith, and then T. Owen got passed the home backs, but when shooting kicked the turf, as well as the ball, which he sent behind. Pugh headed in from a cross by Owen, Rennie saving Lea secured and shot behind. Wrexham had a splendid chance off adding to their score. Trevor Owen sent the ball across goal, but no one was up, and it rolled behind. Just before time arrived, a corner fell to Everton. The ball was sent out, but McLaren returned, and scored the eighth goal with a long shot. Final score; Everton, eight goals; Wrexham one. The following were the teams;- Everton; Rennie, goal; Chadwick and Collins, backs; McLaren, R. Jones, and Coyle, half-backs; Smith, Maxwell, Pinnell, McMillian, and Elliott, forwards. Wrexham; Dodd, goal; Williams, and Edwards, backs; Lea, Wilding and Sameuls, half-backs; Owen, Turner, Hayes, Pugh and Davies, forwards. Referee, Mr. Struthers, Gorton Villa.


December 19, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton set out on a formidable task on Saturday in encouragement Notts County at the famous Trent Bridge Ground. Yet they felt sanguine of success, and their confidence was not misplaced, as Notts were beaten by 2 goals to 1. The win over Wolverhampton Wanderers the previous week was an indication of what Everton were capable of when in the happy position –which has been infrequent this season –of placing their best men on the field. They were without Boyle, who has been in good health of late, but as his place was filled by Stewart, a man of great experience in League work, he having been a conspicuous member of the Burnley team, the eleven was strengthened rather than weakened by the change. The weather was most pleasant, with no wind to speak of, and the sport was thoroughly enjoyable. The only drawback was the sticky state of the ground, which made the going heavy for the actors. They made the pace a fast one, however, and each set of forwards worked so admirably together that there was not a dull moment during the whole game. Everton if anything, attacked the more frequently, but still Jardine had perhaps more work to do than Toone. Most surely the Everton custodian had one or two more difficult shots to meet than his vis-a-is. Generally, the shooting on both sides, though often deadly, left room for improvement; but of the combination of the forwards it could hardly have been improved. Everton had the advantage in this respect, and were voted by onlookers as about the cleverest and fastest quintette that had been seen at Nottingham this season. If this were really the cases, it must in justice be admitted that the Notts Forwards came very near the Everton standard of excellence. Here the equality of the teams ended, as Notts were inferior in skill to the Everton half-backs, backs and goalkeeper, Holt was again the most busy and effective man in the half-back department throughout the match, and was a long way better than Caldehead, Jamieson compared well with Sheldon, and Stewart with Bramby. Of Stewart it may be said he made a successful debut with Everton. He was playing on the opposite wing to that which he is most accustomed to, and will, no doubt, be seen to greater advantage when installed on the left of Holt. He fed his forward with excellent tact, but was not so successful in the tackling propensity. This made the employment heavier than it would otherwise have been for Kelso, who did good work at back, but who seemed to be tiring more than his colleagues towards the finish. Howarth made no noticeable mistakes and covered a lot of ground in a remarkable manner as also smart in the scrimmage. He also displayed good generalship when during the last ten minutes, he strengthen the defence by the inclusion of Milward. Still clever though the defence of the backs was, Jardine had perhaps more chances of showing his resource than he probably cared for; but, unfortunately for Everton, he was in his most cool and active mood, and his performance will rank as one of his best. He twice got the ball clear when full length on the ground, with opponents close upon him. Few would have dared to attempt each dangerous expedient and invariably he caught the ball securely and rid himself safely. He could hardly be blamed for the goal scored by Notts as it was put in from a quick, short pass bear the post. Everton seem to have reached the turning point, and will probably be as consistent in success now as they have been in ill-success. The executive are determined that it shall not be their fault if the team is not brought up to the level attained two seasons ago, and have done well in securing Parry once more, who have shown much improvement in connection with Ardwick and the Caledonians. He will, it is thought, partner Howarth next Saturday against Burnley, an arrangement which would allow Kelso to resume his old place as right half back, and at the same time let Stewart take up his proper position as left half back.


December 19,1892, The Liverpool Mercury

The first of the two League matches between these teams tool place at Nottingham on Saturday, in fine weather, but on a sticky ground about 8,000 spectators being present. The teams were Everton, Jardine goal, Kelso, and Howarth (captain), backs, Stewart, Holt, and Jamieson, half-backs, Latta, Gordon Geary, Chadwick and Milward forwards. Notts County:- Toone, goal, Whitlaw and Hendry, backs, Bramley, Calderwood, and Shelton, half-backs, McGregor, McInnes, Oswald Bruce and Daft forwards. Notts opened the attack, the right wing, though experiencing a check from both Jamieson, and Howarth, getting within range, when McInnes essayed a dangerous ourling shot, but which Kelso met and releived. A spell of midfield worked followed culminating in Milward breaking away, grassing an opponent in his rush, and shooting wide. Hendry tackling him and preventing a better aim. Stewart next passed up, and play was located near the Notts goal. Chadwick made a poor shot but on Milward sending across to the right Latta placed into goal spendidly. Toone just managing to reach the ball with his fist. Everton returned, and Geary forced a corner. Notts then grew threantening on the left Daft and Bruce commanding a fine turn of spped, and passing both Stewart and Kelso, but Howarth went to the assistance of his colleagues and removed danger. The Notts left wing were quickly back again but Bruce shot widly across the face of the goal and Jamieson fastened on the ball, and put Everton on the attack. Latta ran and centred when Tonne went out and took the ball from the left wing and put it into touch. For some minutes Everton were threatening, but were unable to break down the defence and then Notts had two good shots each of which Jardine stopped. A neat movement by Gordon, Geary and Latta was finsihed badly through the latter shooting too high, and in quick time Oswald was really dangerous experiencing hard luck in graziling the bar from a terrific shots. This smart bit of play, however served but as the prelude to a downfall to Notts, as Geary went down at a merry pace and shot. Hendry intercepted with his head but Latta easily secured the ball, and banged it into the net. Everton thus scored the initial goal the game having been then 25 minutes old. Notts renewed with vigour. They were award a free kick near in, but this was smartly repelled and Latta moved down and screwed in so accurately that Toone had difficulty in parrying the shot with his fists. This fine bid for goal was replied to by one equally good by McInnes but he found Jardine quite safe. Holt and Gordon next tested Toone, who easily negtiated, and the home team went away at thelead of the left wing, who sending across enabled McInnes to try a shot which Jardine stopped marvellously he stretching at full length on the ground and just managing tp push the ball aside. Oswald sent in a return but was a little too high. The Everton defensive resources were to be further severely tested the Notts forwards being very persistent. The best shot came from Oswald but his this accurate as it was Jardine checked brilliant. Immedately succeding this escape, Gordon drove in, with a swinging kick, which rather surprised Toone, but he was in time to meet the ball. Howarth next hit the bar from a free-kick and Notts took up a fierce attack, during which they were very near scoring, Stewart, Jardine, and Kelso in particular diverting dangerous courses of the ball. Holding out grandly, Everton had got into their opponents ground when the whistle sounded for the half-time, with the score-Everton, one goal; Notts nil. The second stage commenced with the home team pressing. McInnes and Bruce each shot straight and low, but Jardine caught the ball. He next scooped it clear from an aim by Daft who had outwitted Stewart and Kelso. Daft shortly following also brough Jardine down with the ball in his hands, but the Evertonians clung to the leather until he could throw it aside. Notts were on him again in a minute, and once more Jardine threw to the left. Play fluctuated pretty equally for some time, during which Chadwick had a good try at goal. He soon had another shot, and Milward in charging Toone got the worst of the collison, as he hurt his knee and fell. This caused him to limp afterwards. Notts seemed to be staying better than Everton, and made a terrific onslaught getting in many shots, in stopping one of which Jardine received a knock on the leg, but resumed play. Howarth extricated the ball out of an urgy scrimmage that ensued, and the spectators were worked up to a great pitch of ecitement as the Notts men evined so much dash suddenly a dead calm came over the assembly, for Stewart headed to Gordon, who centred and Geary beat Toone with a hard shot. Everton had now a lead of 2 goals with 20 minutes' play to run. They were not far off jumping further ahead on restarting, as Milward took the ball across to his right wing and gave it to Latta who made a ticklish dropping shot. Toone was safe this time, and Notts made ground on the left,, when Bruce centred, and Oswald guilded the ball just inside the post. A defeatening shout welcome this success, and whilst under its influnence, a brilliant bit of short passing looked likely to bear fruit again as Kelso fell, simultaneously the whistle sounded for off-side,, luckily for Everton, as the ball had been driven into the net. Milward new strengthed the back and stopped one or two very threatening shots. Notts had the best of the remaining play, but the score was unaltered. Everton winning by 2 goals to 1.



December 19 1892, The Liverpool Mercury.

At Goodison Park, before 2,000 spectators. It was soon evident that Everton were demdedly smarter than their opponents, who, however, played a spendid game. At the interval the home team were leading by 2 goals to none and afterwards had the best of the game, with the result Everton 8 Wrexham 1. Pinnel (2) Maxwell, and elliott scored. Everton team:- Rennie, goal, Chadwick and Collins backs, Collinson, Coyle, and Jones half-backs, Smith, McLaren Pinnell McMillan, and Elliott forwards.

Places 1 st , played 12 won 11, lost 0, drew 1 for 73 against 4, points 23


December 24, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton are home this afternoon, and play Burnley. Having been clever enough to defeat Notts County away in the midlands last week, a warm welcome probably awaits their return home at Goodison Park today. That their opponents are Burnley is an earnest that the contest will not be characterized by tameness. It is well remembered that last season, from January 13, Everton and Burnley tried conclusions four times –twice in connection with the English Cup and twice in the League – and the nearest approach to success obtained by Everton was a draw in the home League match. Burnley won the return League game, and also the cup tie. This should have been decided on January 16, but the ground was not fit, so a “friendly” was decided upon, which Burnley won by 4 goals to 2, and then confirmed their superiority by winning the proper, the following week by 3 goals to 1. There is thus a heavy old score to rub off, and no conditions could tend surely to ensure a spirited encounter. As will be seen from the names below, Everton have materially chosen the same players that did so well at Nottingham last week.

Everton v. Burnley, Goodison Park, Kick-off at 2.15 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Jardine, goal; Kelso and Howarth, backs; Stewart, Holt and Jamieson, half-backs; Latta, Gordon, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.


Everton v. Chester, Chester, Kick-off at 2.15 p.m. The following will play for Everton;- Williams, goal; Chadwick and Collins, backs; Collinson, Jones, and Boyle, half-backs; McLaren, Murray, Hartley, McMillian, and Elliott, forwards.


Everton League v. Bootle, Goodison Park, Kick-off at two o'clock. The following will play for Everton; Everton; Rennie, goal; Howarth and Parry, backs; Kelso, Holt, and Stewart, half-backs; Latta, Hartley, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.

Everton Combination v. Northwich Victoria, Northwich, kick-off at 2.30 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Williams, goal; Chadwick and Collins, back; Coyle, Jones, and Jamieson, half-backs; Gordon, Murray, Pinnell, McMillian, and Elliott, forwards.



December 25 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Fred Geary penalty miss again

These teams met in the first league match this season on Saturday, Goodison Park being the venue. The weather was of an ideal kind for the christmas season, bright and bracing; but the attendance was somewhat less then might have been expected in the light of the recent success of Everton, and the strong play of Burnley when at Anfield last year. The teams were- Burnley, Hillman goal, Nicol, and Lang backs, King, Espie, and Mullineaux half-backs Crabtree Buchanan, McNab, Bowes, and Hill forwards. Everton; Jardine, goals Howarth (captain) and Kelso backs, Jamieson, Holt, and Stewart, half-back, Milward Chadwick Geary Gordon, Latta forwards. Burnley opened well on the left where Hill made a good but futile effort to get through, and a free kick falling to Everton, the scene was changed. Latta went off at a telling pace but was confronted by lang, who forced the ball into touch. Everton were not to be easily thrown back, and the left wing moving along aggressively, Nicol closed with them and made a brilliant clearance. Burnley escaped on the right, where Crabtree had just time to centre, but only to see Espie putout. Milward and Chadwick went away nicely together and initiated a stiff brush with the burnley defenders, the ball going over the line, to be followed by Nicol conceding the first corner. Hillman was called upon to clear, and did so, Jamieson centred well a few minutes later when Chadwick was at fault in a shot taken at a good position. Espie next gave a corner when hard pressed, and this was followed by a foul from the consequentials free-kick the ball going into the net untouched. The next conspicuous incident was a dashing run by Milward, and Geary almost turning the pass to account. Another run was effected by Milward. This time Gordon took the ball, but the shot was not quite accurate enough. Following a diversion by Burnley as far as the home backs, Geary broke away in one of his well known runs, and was getting formidable until he was badly charged by Lang who was loudly hooted,. Nothing came of the free-kick, and then Chadwick in taking a pass by Geary was rule off-side. Burnley got the advantage in play arising from a free-kick given against them, and Jardine scored grandly with players close upon him. Despite good work by Espie at centre half, the visitors had to defend. Both Gordon and Latta grew threatening but Lang interposed. Stewart put his forwards again on the attack, but Chadwick finished with a wretched attempt at goal from a captal centre by Latta. Play was not very brilliant, during which the ball was put into the net twice from free-kicks untouvhed and the spectators showed their impatience by urging the actors on to move spirited exertions. Everton then forced their way on the right, and Latta, following up a centre was charged heavily. Mt Lewis considered a Penalty kick, a due punishment to Burnley, and this was taken by Geary, who in a well conceived attempt, had the ill-fortune to hit the post, the idea evidently being to drive through at the right hand end of goa. The ball returned into play almost to the same spot from where the free kick was taken. Burnley pucked up at their escape and a few moments before the interval themselves experienced ill-luck. As Espie shooting hard the ball cannoned off a defender and passed outside. There was a marked improvement in the Everton play on resuming, as they closed in time after time. The burnley defence proved solid, howver, though Nicol driven to foul Milward once. The free kick came to nothing. Everton could not be driven off, but whenever, the backs were eluded and a shot essayed, it either went wide or Hillman negotiated. Chadwick sent in a ticklish low one., which the custodian grappled with. Milward played with great determination, centreing or shooting after a smart race with preuision, but it was all in vain. The Everton half-backs kept the vanguard almost continuously in work, and it seemed that they must find some loophole to enter the net by. They coulod not however, and though free kicks were freely given against Burnley, interspersed with corners, these could never be utilised to the home team's advantage. It was only occasionally that the visitors got within shooting distance and one of these incursions secured them victory. Crabtree led the way, but was challenged by Howarth. The ball, howver, went in the direction of goal and McNab put it though with a low shot, to the surprise of Kelso. Everton had ten minutes in which to recovery the lostb ground but try they never so hard they found not do it, and Burnley won luckily by a goal to nil.



December 25, 1892 The Liverpool Mercury

The home team kick off against the wind and spirited play ensued. Chester had the best of the play for some time Morris and Fleming each scoring a goal. The teams played spendid football, and the display of the home side was remarkable. Williams for Everton, having to negotiase several shots. Result Chester 3 goals Everton 2.

Everton team:- Willimas, goal, Chadwick and Collins backs Collinson, Jones and Boyle, half-backs McLean, Murray, Hartley, McMillan and Elliott forwards.


December 26, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton, if they were slightly lucky when at Nottingham a week ago, were decidedly ill-favoured by fickle fortune on Saturday. The improved form which gave Everton victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers and Notts County raised a feeling of confidence that they would avenge last year's defeat by Burnley, particularly as they were playing at Goodison Park. The team which had worked so well together the week previously was, so well together the week previously was, on the principle of leaving well alone, chosen to meet Burnley, but the latter had a different representation than that which fell at Ewood in their preceding League match. Espie displaced Matthews at centre half. Mullineeaus was left half, vice Boes, McNab superseded Lambie at centre forward, whilst Crabtree and Hill were partnered by Buchanan and Bowes respectively, instead of Chambers and Place. The weather was seasonable, well suited for Association football, and the ground if hard, in capital condition, the liberal amount of fresh turfing that had been affected having brought the surface up to a high state of excellence that seemed impracticable a few weeks ago. The opening exchanges demonstrated that the ball would be two lively on the frost-knit ground, and the difficulty to keep it low was often insurmountable, the consequence being that play was spoilt more or less all through. Many good bits of combination were rendered nugatory from too sudden bounce of the ball, and this condition seemed to hamper Everton more than Burnley. Still the home side gauged by the amount of attack, had about three-parts of the play, and that they did not make better use of the opportunities was due to three causes –fearless defence of the visitors, much erratic shooting by Everton, and a spice of ill luck by the home attackers. If Burnley were not so often at goal, they were better on the whole in directing the ball towards the net when they had a chance; and though they scored the only goal of the match “sortly” through misunderstanding or misjudgment on the part of the opposing backs they must be given credit for taking full advantage of the only time the Everton defenders made a bad mistake. The game was not a pleasant one. It lacked good points all through, and the number of fouls, especially by the visitors, proved how roughness dominated in its ugliness. The men of Burnley have plenty of weight, and are not slow to use it. Their plucky charges –doubtful ones at times certainly –will explain the deterioration of the Everton forwards tactics to a great extent, for though their passing was well done at times, it was not uniformly so, and the minus at goal will compare adversely even with some of the worst demonstrations that have been given this season. The half-back department was again the strong feature of Everton, and Holt was once more in his most businesslike mood. Stewart possessed and dispossessed himself of the ball with splendid judgment. Jamieson had a speedy man in Crabtree to look after, and he helped materially in rendering this fast outside right wing man a disappointment to the Burnleyites. Howarth, Kelso, and Jardine erred once, which seriously detracted from their otherwise good play. Despite the vigour shown too frequently, Long and his associates gave a splendid exhibition of sturdy defence; the half-backs were the reverse of timid; and Hill and McNab the smarter of the Burnley forwards. Everton were sooned to a still further slice of misfortune, as their combination team were beaten by Chester –the first reverse this season.

As customary on Boxin Day, the exponents of the Association code will be in full cry, through the invasion of Scotch tourning teams is less general than it used to be a few years ago. There are no less than five first division League matches, but these do not incorporate Everton. They and Boootle join issue, an event that was a feature of Christmas holidays some three or four seasons back, in those merry days when Everton and Bootle were in turn sure to give a Roland for an Oliver. The revival of the local combat is a right movement, for it must be more genial to the taste of the players than would be a match of such vital importance at that associated with the League. Following closely upon the tussle with Burnley, the neighborly bout will act as a sedative, though this would not have been the case a few years back. Bootle are not quite up to the standard of Everton now a days, but they have shown signs of improvement in their recent matches, and as Everton intend their team to be somewhat of an experimental one, the prospect are that a game will be supplied of just sufficient spirit and equality as would make it interesting.



December 27 1892 The Liverpool Mercury

The Bank Hoilday attraction at Goodison Park was one of the customary matches between Everton and Bootle, a popular local fixture well appreciated by the Liverpool public. The company numbering about 14,000. Teams Everton:- Rennie goal, Howarth (captain) and Parry backs, Kelso, Holt, and Stewart half-backs, Latta, Smith, Hartley, Chadwick and Milward,forwards. Bootle :- McLoughlin, goal, Hutinson and Arridge backs, Robertson, Hughes, and McEwan Half-backs, Clarkin Gallagher, Grierson, McLafferty, and Montgomery,, forwards. Play opened evenly, and when just inside the Everton quarter Holt got winded. The home right made tracks on goal, when Smith sent behind. More pressure was brought to bear on the Bootle lines, but the defence was good. Play ruled fast and exciting Bootle for a few minutes having quite as much of it as the home team. Clarkin moved along on the right and, being beaten of by dint of energy. Everton attacked strong particularly on the right wing. But Arridge made one or two clever clearances especially on Kelso shooting in. a free kick was conceded Bootle, which was neatly placed by Arridge to the face of goal, when Parry kick out. Bootle soon returned, and were menacing, but again Parry effected two smart clearances. Everton now had a turn, without becoming very threatening, and a free kick falling to Bootle Hutchinson drove to Clarkin, who shot at long range, and very near through, the ball passing across the face of goal. Rennie cleared a ticklish shot, but the visitors made another excellent atttempt. Everton were still further pressed and spendid passing and shooting caused, during which trying time Rennie saved well on two or three occasions. Everton made an effort to get the vicinity of goal, but was repulesed. Hughes then passing up to his left wing, but Hartley was given the ball, and running along, passed to Latta, who was in close attendance, and he got a goal with a straight shot. Everton thus assumed the lead after half-an-hour play which on the whole, had been pretty even, with Bootle having most shots at goal. The Bootle right wing next gave trouble tp Parry, but could not get down to goal, and more excitement ensued when McLoughlin prevented two grand shots taking effect, one out of a close scrimmage, and the other from a lengthy range. Parry shortly, following headed up, and Chadwick essayed a long low shot, which Latta tried to steer into goal, but which was just put just outside, and the interval arrived with Everton leading by a goal to nil. On restarting, Holt was penalised, and from the free kick Bootle got close in, but were repelled by the home defenders. The visitors came back again, and some fine shooting was in dulged in by the left wing. Parry headed out twice in capital style. The Everton left wing made an attempt to remove the scene of operations, but Hutchinson got on the ball, and put the forwards on the attack, when montgomery shot hard but abortively. Hughes shortly afterwards passed to Clarkin, who centred, and Grierson banged in out of the scrimmage, but Rennie met the ball with his foo. It was some time before Everton got anything like a telling swing, and this Rose when Latta was tripped and the ball driven goalwards from the free-kick. Everton now were really dangerous, but this only served to bring the good defensive readiness of Hutchinson and Hughes who cleared in smart style. Booten then attacked quickly and Grierson beat Rennie. Everton immediately attack the other end, and Latta banged in, and McLafferty defensive play rrepelled this. Bootle went away in good line McEwan tested Rennie with a long sharp shot, Rennie cleaned to safely the patten of play was in favour of Bootle. Everton the eproved on their attacks, and were sereral times within shooting distance, but the attaempt at goal, was poor, the shooting being too high or wide. Then Bootle attack the other end and Montgomery shot, but Rennie saved and cleared. Howarth giving to his assistance, and keeping the opponents men from charging him. From a free kick to Everton they got near in, where still another free kick was conceded, but this could not be turned to account. The sunqueent play was made by more weak kicking by the Everton forwards. Milward now went centre with the view of forcing play. Robertson, however, tackled well, and enabled Grierson to lead a sharp raid which gave some anxienty to the Evertonians. Stewart removed danger, and soon end came, with the result of a draw of a goal each.



December 27, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Palyed at Nortwich before 3,000 specatators. Upto half-time no goals had been scored. Although both goalkeepers were serveral tested. Northwich having most of the chances. In resuming Everton scored neatly for a corner kic afterwards Northwich had the best of matters William being very busily empolyed but hargreaves mutled at glorous chance, Ramsley and Bradshaw howver scored and Northwich won by 2 goals to 1.



December 28, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

The holiday fixture was played yesterday afternoon at Goodison-road, before 6,000 specatators. Everton started the play and had the best of the opening stages. The visiting backs were early tested, but had plenty of resource, and the front line getting into a good stride the centre sent in a fone low shot, but Jardine was in readiness, and the home tight working well down Pinnel was given a chance, but shot wide. Play proceeded on fairly even lines until the visiting left wing pair got down by good combination, and Jardine again had a warm shot to deal with, but he cleared nicely, and his forwards for the next few minutes fairly raised the siege. Jamieson tried a shot which missed the mark, and after stubborn scrimmaging round the goal, the ball travelled to Gordon whoi scored from a fine centre by Elliott. The Everton forwards continued to have all the play to themselves, and after severe pressure thevisitors colours were again lowered by Jamieson, who sent in a magnificent shot. No other points were scored upto half-time, the score then being 2 goals to nil in favour of Everton. On resuming the home front line got well down, and Pinnell was given a couple of chances but was slow to take advantage. At length Steel and Ross took the ball nicely down, but the final effort of the latter was weak, and from the goalkick the home van broke clean away, and Pinnel sent in a beauty, which compelely beat Denholme. Gordon outwitted Niven and McMillan had the goal at his mercy, but landed high over the bar. Keeping up the pressure the home fairly made the play, but shooting inaccurate until Pinnell scored through. Blythe took the ball along, and Fraser tried his luck, but Parry was in the way. Not to be denied, Steel and Ross resumed the attack but failed to round Millett. A corner off Jardine was nicely worked away, and some smart play on the part of Murray and Gordon resulted in Denholmes again being called upon. The ball was all but through when Nevin came to the rescue. Nothing further was scored, Everton winning a fair game by 4 goals to nil.

Everton team, Jardine goal, Millett (trailist from great marlow), and Parry backs, Boyle Jones and Jamieson,, half-backs, Gordon Smith, Pinnel, McMillan and Elliott, forwards.


December 28, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

To the Editor Of the Liverpool Mercury

Gentleman,- I had the misfortune to be a spectator on the Goodison Park ground on Saturday last, and I should like to inquire if it is not within the province of the Football League or the Football Association to compel some respect to the ordinary rules of sport and fairplay? From start to finish of the game the Burnley team were guilty of disreputable and foul play in every conceivable form – tripping, hacking, collaring, and general desire at all hazards to injure their opponents. On one occasion the Everton centre forward when running at full speed, was deliberately tripped up and seriously injured by the fall on the hard ground; Latta was similarly served; Gordon was deliberately kicked in the thigh; Milward was jumped upon by a player, who took a flying leap at him; Chadwick was served in the same fashion; and almost every member of the Everton team received similar treatment, the animating idea of the Burnley team being evidently to injure and knock out as many as possible of their opponents. A more disgraceful exhibition of brutal ruffiannism I venture to say has never been witnessed on a football ground; and in the interests of common decency, if not of the sport itself, should be severely dealt with, otherwise the game will be one to be avoided and discouraged by every right-minded persons; and in my humble opinion the Everton Executive will be wanting in their duty if they do not place the whole circumstances before the Football Association and the governing body of the Football League. P.H.S Liverpool, Dec 26, 1892.



December 29, 1892. The Liverpool Echo

To the Editor of the Liverpool Mercury

Gentleman –Being a partisan of neither of the above clubs I would like to say a few words against the unjust attack made by “P.H.S.”In your issue of today (Wednesday) against the Burnley team. Burnley beat Everton last Saturday by 1 goal to nil. They deserved to win because they played the most scientific game of football –not of roughness, as “P.H.S” would lead your readers to believe. If Everton had won, would “P.H.S.” have taken the trouble to level such unfair charges against Burnley? I think not. Because Everton did not win he rushes frantically into print and accuse the Burnley players of “tripping, backing, collaring, and a general desire at all hazards to injuce their opponents. This is untrue, and shows the animus and spleen which characterise the whole of your correspondent's letter. Mr. Lewis is a gentleman well known in the football world as a referee of the highest honour, and for the conscientious discharge of his duty there are few to equal him. I am sure your readers will agree with me when I say that no referee, putting aside Mr. Lewis, would countenance such unfair play as “P.H.S” has so vindictively brought against the Burnley players.

Dec 28, 1892. John Soley.


December 30, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

To the Editor of the Liverpool Mercury

Gentleman –I should imagine your correspondent Mr. Soley writes from ignorance of what scientific football is, or else for love of contradiction. I saw the game on Saturday, and, with thousands more, left the field with the firm conviction that as an exhibition of foul football Burnley had excelled themselves, and that if justice and fairness were dealth out of them they would be expelled from the League. We all know that Mr. Lewis, as a referee, is not to be beaten, and nobody questions him in the conscientious discharge of his duty, and what he thought of Burnley was evident by the penalty kick he gave against them, besides no end of fouls. If Burnley go on improving on such “scientific” play as theirs of Saturday last, why the next time they come to Everton we shall have to engage ambulances to take away the damaged Everton men, who in their effort to show what proper football is, were beaten by a team every way their inferior. Liverpool Dec 29, 182. Spectator.



December 31, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton lie low as regards the League, and will meet Burton Swifts in an ordinary return match at Goodison Park, the first match played as far back as September 7, having been won by Everton with the score 3 goals to 2. The Swifts also played Bootle in September but then won 2 goals to 1 and at present stand fifth in the second division of the League. They are thus almost certain to give Everton a close game.


Everton League v Newcastle East End, Newcastle

Everton Combination v Stoke Swifts, Goodison Park


Everton v. Sunderland, Sunderland (League)

Everton v. Glasgow Thistle, Goodison Park


Everton League v. Middslbrough, Middlesbrough



December 31, 1892. The Cheshire Observer

There were great rejoicing in the Chester camp on Saturday, at the victory of the Cestrians over their formable rivals Everton. To be the first to lower the colours of the redoubtable Evertonians two seasons running has given the utmost satisfaction too the Cestrians. The Evertonians figured in the Combination which, up to a week ago was, won all, lost none, drawn one, after Saturday stood; Played 13, Won 11, Lost 1, Drawn 1, Points 23; while their opponents basked under the score of played 10, won 4, lost 4, drawn 2, points 10. Thompson, who was absentee in the home ranks, was supplanted by little Rimmer, while Heyes (late of Northwich Victoria) partnered Lewis on the left. There was a large crowd, and the greatest excitement prevailed. Ashton started, and Hartley securing was within an ace of scoring. Pay was kept busy for a time, and then Carter transferred to Heyes, who dashed up, but Chadwick sent them back. Lewis and Heyes came again, and working it near, scored amid a loud burst of cheering. Both teams resorted to long punting, and after dallying about Pay's charge the visitors equalised. Excitement now ran high, and Morris with a neat dashed away, and on being hampered, by Collins he lifted the sphere with force straight through the “toffy” boys' goal, nearly from the half-way line, it was a splendid shot, and Williams was fairly bewildered by it. Chester continued to press, and the two “C's” were kept alert, but as last Lewis got the better of Chadwick, and shot in a little wide, but Fleming, who was on the alert, headed through, the cheers at this renewed success of the homesters being both loud and long. Urged on by the frantic shouts from all parts of the field, the Cestrians shone conspicuous, and Fleming and Morris were prominent for some good work, and they are to be complimented on the matter they obtained the mastery over Collins. Porter was censured by the referee for rough play, and the game was interrupted for a short time through Collins coming into contact rather heavily with mother earth. Continuing the encounter, was both fast and furious, but nothing further resulted, and Chester in the envisable position of being in front by three goals to one. Upon the resumption, the Evertonians, whose staying powers were probably more sound than the homesters, were soon in evidence, and it was not long before the Chester defence were called upon to save dangerous shots, Elliott, over-running Powell, scored, and then the struggle for supremacy commenced. Ashton, who was always well up, missed a nice chance when Collins nulled his kick, and immediately afterwards Heyes struck the upright. An exciting scrimmage in front of Pay's charge caused considerable uneasiness to the home partisans, but, to their delight, the goalkeeper proved equal to the occasion, and the ball was got safely away. From that point Everton were penned in their own territory , and when the whistle sounded time, which was anxiously awaited for, the Cestrians retired victorious by three goals to two, and the spectators were simply wild with delight. It was a smart performance on the part of Chester to again turn the tables, and they were highly congratulated on all hands. The homesters seem to rise to the occasion with the Liverpool men visit Chester, and I never remember to have seen them play so combined together and with such excellent judgement as on Saturday. Pay played an admirable game, and he dealt with all kinds of shots in a masterly manner. His confrere's Powell and Wilson, never played better, the former's superb tackling and the latter's fine kicking being worthy of special notice. Carter affected many neat saves when the Evertonians were making their well-known deadly shots, while Porters weight served him capitally. His kicking was clean, long and Heyes were a capital pair, and the latter is a great acquisition to the home eleven. His quickness on the ball-being everywhere and in every position for readiness and tackling –helped the Cestrian vastly, and, no, doubt greatly assisted them to gain so brilliant a victory. Heyes does not dally with the ball, and passes with accuracy. Lewis exhibited some of his old form, and he was loudly applauded for his clever dodges rounded the visiting backs. He was always to the fore. Ashton fed his forwards splendidly, and brilliant runs and dash were excellent. The right wing-Fleming and Morris –were both speedy and tricky. Williams, in the Everton goal, acquitted himself very well, although he might have stopped the second goal. The other two points were rather difficult ones. Chadwick and Collins were always on the alert. The halves were good, and the forwards –especially Elliott and McMillian –were a trifle superior to the other pair on the opposite wing. The Everton men, when they found they were having the worse of the argument, played an exceedingly rough game, and their tactics were very unfair and ungentlmanly. It is about time they learned to take a beating without resorting to such reprehensive methods.

Combination –Chester v Everton.

The champions of the combination –Everton make their first appearance this season at the Faulkner-street enclosure on Saturday, to try conclusions with the City team, when they met at the commencement of the present campaign, the Evertonians were victorious by ten goals to one. Since that time the Cestrians have shown improved form, and they were determined, if possible, to avenge that crushing defeat. The Liverpool men had not up till Saturday been defeated. The teams were: - Chester: - Pay, goal; Powell and Wilson, backs; Rimmer, Porter, and Carter, half-backs; Morris, Fleming, Ashton, Lewis, and heyes, forwards. Everton: - Williams, goal; Chadwick and Collins, backs; Coyle, Jones, Collinson, half-backs; McLaren, Murray, Hartley, McMillan, and Elliott, forwards. The weather was beautifully fine, and the attendance was very large, Chester kick-off, and Pay's goal was immediately in danger, but he cleared. Heyes dashed finely up the field, but Lewis put it outside. Chadwick kicked out, and then heyes troubled Collins and Chadwick, Lewis intervened, Heyes scoring with a beauty. Wilson was next forced to save, Elliott beleaguered Pay, who was badly “shinned,” and the ball went through. Fleming had a near chance. Morris from the centre line punted splendidly in, and Williams missing, the sphere went flying through. Ashton and Morris passed beautifully, but Williams cleared easily, Wilson saved at the other end, and several visitations to one goal and then the other were made, nothing resulting. Lewis was intercepted by Chadwick in the nick of time, and Pay was defeated by Hartley, but the whistle had sounded for “off-side.” Murray bustled Wilson, but Carter saved. Porter treated the spectators to two of his immense throw-in, and Ashton, Lewis, and Heyes frequently troubled the Evertonians defence. Lewis next received the ball from Carter and ran splendidly up, passing Chadwick, but he shot rather wide. Fleming secured, and headed the sphere through, defeating Williams for the third time. Porter fouled one of the Evertonian forwards, and was cautioned by the referee, play being stopped for some time. Restarting the visitors dashed off, and looked extremely dangerous, Pay saving repeatedly. Pay was again stopped, Collins being “Winded” Everton ratted down, but to no avail, and Heyes, who played a capital game, raced nicely along and then Fleming tried his hand, but failed to convert. Hartley struck the cross-bar, and the whistle sounded for a rest. Half-time score Chester 3, Everton 1. Recommencing Everton forced Pay to give a corner, but Morris got away and shot wide. Fleming repeated the offence, and Porter saved a beautifully straight shot from Jones. Wilson cleared when Hartley was about to shot. Ashton and Lewis each got crippled, but the matter was unnoticed by the referee. Everton played a rough game, and Heyes were injured on the leg. Lewis waltzed nicely round Chadwick, but his final shot was weak. He came sailing along again, but fell –tripped –when on the point of banging it in, and immediately afterwards, Ashton shot outside. Heyes placed the sphere in Williams hands ad Elliott and Mclaren, who frequently troubled the home back division, passed Seth Powell once, and Pay ran out, the consequence being that Elliott pooped it through. Powell cleared again from the same player and then Pay saved a shot. Ashton went away, but Collins got the best of the tussle. Carter saved, and then Murray Everton scored a goal, which the referee deemed “off-side” much to the delight of the spectators. Ashton failed at the last moment, and afterwards Heyes struck the upright. Pay saved a warm one, and next conceded a corner. A most exciting scrimmage in front of the Chester goal followed, but Pay negotiated splendidly, Lewis looked dangerous, but was “off-side.” Everton pressed now, and Porter kick-out. Chester grandly and the visiting halves and backs played a rough game, resorting to all sorts of questionable tactics. The whistle sounded time with the score –Chester 3 goals, Everton 2 goals.