February 1893


February 3, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

For four years past have the Everton Football Club placed their ground at the disposal of a motley array of pantomime artists, who perform antics, which include burlesque football, for the benefit of the Royal Infirmary and the Stanley Hospital, and since the inauguration of the gala it has been growing in popularity. That this is so without a doubt was testified to by the large crowds which assembled in the new and spacious ground of the club in Goodison-road yesterday, in spite of the inclemency of the weather. Nevertheless the promise of good fun, such as has been seen in former years, was sufficient to draw a crowd of about 15,000 to the enclosure. The company of nummers assembled in front of St. George's Hall, and thence proceeded to the ground, and though many were constrained to stay away from the procession by the pouring rain, there was happily a goodly array, which was headed by two camels of the highest order. Arriving at the ground, it was found that already two temporary theatres, named significantly the Westminer and the Theatre Royal, were in full swing with variety entertainments provided by the artists at present engaged by Mr. Mathew Montgomery, manager of the permanent theatres bearing the above address. Simultaneously with the opening of these sides shows began the opening of pockets and the pouring out of money for article such as cigarettes, flowers, cigars, photographs, and other catchpennies, which were sold at twice or three times their value. All sorts and conditions of grotesque costumes, from Blue Beard to modern policemen, from the Wild man of Borno to nigger minstrels, from Eastern robes to Old English dresses, were to be seen flitting about, animated by well-feeling actors and actresses who recked not what they did so long as they brought money in. One pleasant feature was missed, however, and that was that the “gentle dew from heaven” forbade the wearing of the bright dresses by the ladies who last year lent such an air of gaiety to the scene. At two o'clock a serious football match commenced between the Everton Combination team – and very fitly is the word applied –and the reserve of the Blackburn Rovers. As it interested the enthusiasts, of course, it was a great success. But a very large number of those present were not enthusiasts and, consequently, the efforts of the two capable teams were hardly appreciated. Another factor which had something to do with this was that the artistes had thoroughly settled down to the pocket-rifling pursuits of the day, and as there was ever something fresh to attract the attention of the game. However, let it be said that during the first half the Rovers had slightly the best of matters and at half-time were leading by a goal to nothing. Hargreaves being responsible for the point. In the second half the game became very interesting, and the Everton lads began to show their superiority, Gordon and Hartley each scoring for the home side, the result being that Everton retired victors to the tune of two goals to one. This somewhat serious and business like part of the afternoon's entertainment being over, the fooling began in earnest. The Preston Morris Daners gave a most delightful dance and continued it all round the field. Their pretty costumes and graceful movements in their old English dances elicited rounds of applause. They finished up with Sir Rogers de Coverley, and then fell to with money boxes collecting pence. Mother Noblett and a Rotunda fat man started a game of football on their own account, and the camels were requisitioned. The old lady disported herself in delightful style by making several vain attempts to have a cheap ride, and on more than one occasion came down with no small degree of suddenness from her lofty pedestal.

In the meantime considerable excitement was seen to be aroused in the far corner of the field. This was caused by the appearance on the scene of a “moke and shay” laden with vegetables of all kinds –carrots, turnips, cabbages, curly greens, leeks, and soon –presided over by a “coster” and his “donah” in the person of two Liverpool amateurs –Messrs, Austin Harford and E.V. MCKernan. The former gentleman, arrayed in a brilliant but nevertheless orthodox suit decorated with a mace of “pearlies,” proved a jealous husband and an inimitable entertainer; while McKernana was gloriously attired in black ringiets, large straw hat, gorgeously coloured shawl, red skirts, and red stockings. “The greatest novelty on the field” was their cry, “Won't yer buy a coster's button-hole? Only 6d, a tunne,” and when the autlers individual turned up his nimble six-pence, the button holo turned out to be a Brussels sprout decorated with maiden hair fern. Mr. Hartford also sang for 6s, for each performance the tender movements of a coster, acted with his wife to the hugh delight of the audiences. Many were the humorous incidents in their tour round the field, and so testify to their success it may be said that it took them fully three hours to accomplish the task. They were without doubts the success of the afternoon, and evidently collected more money than anyone else.

There were also races for professionals in costume, and one or two of the ladies even turned out in costume. These events caused considerable amusement, some of the participators having considerable difficulty in travelling, owing to the weight and bulk of their dresses. The inflated fat men and the Karnos were, however, the cause of most merriment. Another rouser of hilarity was a match –whether it was bosing or running or otherwise it would be presumptuous to state –between the elephant from the Shakespeare Theatre and the Karno donkey. Their antics were marvellous, and the final breaking up of the elephant into two separate parts, and the annihilation of the donkey, left the issue in doubt as to which had won. It was at a late hour that the grotesque football match started, but the appearance on the field of Ally Sloper, Esq. (Mr. F.T. Parry), who acted as referee, soon gathered together the Everton League team, who by the way, had been edifying the people for some little time by ricks with the ball, which only showed the perfection to which they have been brought. Shortly afterwards the genial face of Mr. Tom Bush was recognised, his head and body being enveloped in a Mother Noblett gown, and he was followed by Messrs, Bainbridge and Ravenscroft in policemen's costumes, ostensibly for the purpose of removing any one who should conform to the rules of the game. If this was so, it must be said that the uniforms had the desired effect. The theatrical team numbered 50 or 60, among whom were conspicuous the Preston Morris Dancers, some of whom were almost a match for the Evertonians. After some wonderful scrimmages and extraordinary evolutions the weight of numbers told, and the ball was gradually sent down by mere weight of numbers and forced through the goal. Afterwards the Evertonians had a look in, and when once two or three of them got away it took the Threaticials all their time to stop them, and on several occasions the camels, who by the way were goalkeepers, were called out to use their skill. However, in the confusion the ball by some means or another got through the Theatricals' goal, and matters were equalised. On turning round more frolic ensured, and the Theatricals twice more scored –at least so it was rumoured. By this time it was considerably after five o'clock and the five hours gala came to an end. Happily during the afternoon the rain cleared off, and, though the wind was biting and the ground damp, it must be said that yesterday's sport compares favourably with that of previous years. The proceedings of the afternoon were considerably enlivened by the presence of a capital band under the direction of Mr. Fred Wright. The following was their programme; -March, “Hook Hababurg,” Kral; Overture, “Light Cavalry,” Suppe; Waltz, “Amorettentanzs,” Gung'! medley, “Hilarity,” Williams; polks,” polks, Con Amore,” Roise; gallop, “Tonnere,” Larnothe; selection, “Pantomime,' Fred Wright; Mazurka, “La Czarine,” Ganne; waltz, “Grenadiers,” Waldteufel; selection, “babylonta,” Williams; march in C, Burns; waltz, “La Tonta,” kiefart; pola march, “Monte Carlo,” kap's. The following are brief results of the various athletic contests;- 100 yards Gentlemen's Race; 1, B. Harrison; 2, F. Karno; 3, Ted karno. 50 yards Ladies Race; 1, Miss Albert; 2, Miss Matthews; 3, Miss Cloy; 4, Miss Carlton; 5, Miss Lloyd; 6, Miss Granville; 7 Miss Clarette. Quarter-mile Race; 1, F. Karno, Donkey and Elephant Race; 1, Elephant, Shakespeare (meesrs Vaughan and Holey). Character Race (old woman); 1. W. Scott; 2, Joe Burgess. Bicycle Race (One mile); 1, R. Clay; 2. W.F. Karno; 3, H. Brammell. Go-As-You Please Race; 1; Tommy Burns, 2, Joe Burgess.


February 6, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

The negotiations for the match, under Rugby rules, to be played at Goodison Park, by kind permission of the Everton Football Company, on March 15, in aid of the Runcorn F.C., and T.H. Davies Fund, have now been completed, and the contest, as indicated in last Monday's Mercury, will be between Runcorn and Swinton.



February 6, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

The tie at Goodison Park this afternoon could scarcely have been made more acceptable, and its issue is shrouded in just sufficient doubt to give the match a piquancy of intense interest. The Notts Forest have reached the semi-final round of the annual competition twice, and have the advantage of Everton in this respect, but the “Reds” are one of the oldest clubs in the country. It is not past achievements, however, that weigh so much in adding importance to today's tussle, but up-to-day play. The Forest have met Everton twice in connection with the League and the results were that Notts draw when at Liverpool and won narrowly when at Nottingham by two goals to one. Notts Forest, in fact, have won six League matches straight away, in addition to a cup-tie and other games, and are thus a very clever team. Everton have also been going “great guns” of late, winning their last four matches, and momentous ones too. It is this fact which invests the encounter today with so much attractiveness and promise of great play, and another of those record “gates” may safely be anticipated. For those who wish to see the combat in comfort, and place cost as a secondary consideration, a number of seats (250) have been reserved, at a charge of 4s, each, the ticket for which can be had as Mawdsley's F. Sugg's the National Sporting Goods Company, or the secretary's office. There will be other local matches, and financial success of which, however, can scarcely be assured, and it will be subject for sympathy with Liverpool and Bootle that their respective contests with Stoke and Fleetwood Rangers should clash with Everton's cup-tie.

Everton v. Notts Forest, Goodison Park. Referee Mr. C.J. Hughes, Cheshire.


February 6 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

This cup tie, which was generally voted the most intersting of the round, was played at Goodison Park on Saturday, and was in every sense a brilliant event. The weather was suitable though the actors would doubtless have preferred less wind, and the ground was in good condition,, at least at the start, and until some of the turf began to kick-up. That the ‘'gate'' was a magnificent one goes without saying, and there would probably be fully 27,000 spectators for the coigns of vantage were more densely packed than at West Bromwich Ablion match a fortnight ago. Everton wore new jerseys, and their deep blue colour made a distinct and pretty contrat with the bright red of the Forest. Both teams had a hearty reception, especially Everton, given to the latter all the more lavishly and deservesdly on account of their recent good play. The players were as follow:- Everton, Williams goal, Kelso, and Howarth (captain) backs, Boyle Holt and Stewart, half-backs, Latta Maxwell, Geary, Chadwick and Milward, forwards. Notts Forest:- Brown goal, Earp and Scott, backs, Smith (a), McPherson, and McCracken, half-backs, Shaw Smith (w) Higgins, Pike, and McInnes forwards, Mr C.J.Hughes (Cheshire Assoiation) again officiated as referee, and, Everton having won the toss, he gave the signal for Higgins to kick off against the wind, prompt to time. Higgins followed up his initial kick by shooting outside at long range, when Stewart cleared out the attackers by driving the ball in the direction of Geary, who ran as far at the back. Everton were not to be beaten off yet, and Latta ran and shot in, when Milward was forced to run the ball out and Chadwick follwed by shooting badly across the face of goal. Relief was given to the Forest by Maxwell, who tripped an opponent, and was penalised; but the visitors did not present a formidable front, and Geary was quickly seen sprinting away, becoming so dangerous, as to exact a corner, from which Holt headed over the bar. Notts again got within range, but were driven off before essaying a shot. Boyle next took a free kick, which being well placed was neutralised at the expense of a futile corner. Howarth was soon in requisition, and checked the right wing, but danger was created owing to an Everton defender slipping at a critical moment. Higgins saw his opportunity, and shot in hard, but Williams held the ball firmly, and threw clear, a like fate attending a long shot by Pike. Notts were persistent, just now, and Kelso had twice to be quick in kicking. McPherson fouled Chadwick, soo afterwards but this was scarcely any assistance to Everton,, for Higgins went down but shot at randon. Kelso and Boyle each picked the ball out of scrimmage which ensued, and a length Everton changed the scene of operations, the left wing leading the way. Chadwick had a shot repelled, but he brooked no denail, and getting well up, he drove into goal, when the ball was scrimmaged into the net. A goal was awarded, and a great cheered greeted ‘'the first blood'' by Everton as the result of 16 minutes play. Before the excitement had abated Latta centred to Milward who scored a second goal with a terrific shot, out of the reach of Brown. Play toned down somewhat for the next few minutes, but Notts Forest were gaining in strength, and slowly but surly, invading Everton quarters in an aggressive mood. It was some time before they could level a shot at goal, and when they did it scored, Pike putting through, just under the bar near the left corner-a spendid effort, which thoroughly merited the point. a free kick to Everton led to a fierce tussle in front of the visitors goal, when Holt, after the ball had been driven against the opponents' leg once or twice put just outside. Smith got hurt a little later on but contined to play after a stoppage of the game. Williams, on resuming, fisted out from Shaw's good shot, giving a corner, when Everton were hard pressed. Howarth was just in time to divert a shot by Pike whilst the goal had a marvellous escape in the tussle which arose. Notts still attacked hard, but Williams was equal to all demands, and with the arrival of half-time Everton were leading by 2 goals tp 1. Kelso was at once called upon, on resuming, and he put in a kick which enabled Chadwick and Geary to move down in a pretty run, but Milward, who took the pass, was ruled off-side, Higgins replied with a flying shot, Kelso vainly trying to get at the ball in its flight, but it was of no consequence, as the aim was not quite accurate. The next intersting incident was a screwing shot by Chadwick. Then the Forest left wing gave trouble but were repulsed, and Brown had a trying ordeal to face, which he was not equal to. He was compelled to give a corner from Milward's shot, and this being neatly placed the ball was put into goal. Brown played the shot, but the sphere struck the post and bounced into the net. On restarting, the ball was kicked over the north-end stand, which led to some delay. Notts then returned to goal two or three times ina menacing manner. Several free kicks were given on either side, and the spirited play proceeded on even lines until Kelso missing the ball went for the man in a manner that did not meet with the approval of the referee. A free kick was of course given, which proved costly to Everton, as the ball was scrimmaged into the net. With only a goal to the good, Howarth strengthened his defence by bring Milward to his assitance. Everton, though having but four forwards, had rather the best of the subsequent play, and Geary heading a goal just before time, Everton were hailed winners by a loud cheer, of 4 goals to 2.


February 6, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

Combination play at Turf Moor before 2,000 spectators the homesters played with a slight breeze in their favour in the opeing half Everton had the best of the opeing half scoring one goal and croosing over with a 1 goal to nil lead. The visitors competely out played the home team during the second portion and ran out winners by 6 goals to nil.


February 8, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

It is pleasure to be able to announce the definite settlement of the Runcorn and Swinton match. Apart from the interest in the encounter naturally arising from the peculiar circumstances which have led up to the fixture –the severe financial handicapping of Runcorn, playing in a town of small “gate” power, and subject to heavy travelling expenses –the match offers unique features that will doubtless attract a peculiarly mixed attendance at Goodison Park. To see the champions of Lancashire and the champions of Cheshire on neutral territory, and in the very stronghold of the rival game, is like the worship of Mercury in the Temple of Apollo. No doubt the novelty will attract a goodly sprinkling of the Everton devotees, curious to see a game about which most of them know very little, and willing to have it brought to their doors and exponded by adepts. Nor is the Rugby-seeing following likely to miss an opportunity of seeing what is undoubtedly the first football ground in the county. The Everton management are already notorious for their generosity in charity and benefit matches, and this can do little to add to their credit, so well it is already established. But it is no usual courtesy to grant association ground for the help of a Rugby club, free of all costs, as the Everton committee are doing, and this fact deserves to be well known. We wish this unique match every success and a heavy gate for Runcorn.

Everton emerge from a trying eek with flying colours, and are to be congratulated on their clever and consistent performance. Luck is ever a dominating influence in attaining success, and Everton just now are kindly treated by the Fates, drawn out of the hat first in each round of the English Cup Competition, and thereby secure choice of ground on both occasions; but their greatest slice of good luck is being enabled to put the same eleven players in the field for successive momentous contests. The men thus become familiar with each other, and can help one another to make effective use of their individual skill. If Everton can be so fortunate as to keep the same team intact, they will probably reach the final stage, no matter how they are drawn, an advance that will be but consistent with the repute of Liverpool as the greatest football centre, judged from the support given by the public in the country. the venue is apparently immaterial with the Everton team as at present constituted, for taking their last five consecutive wins, two were won on foreign soil, with only a Sunday intervening, even if their opponents were such powerful ones as Stoke and the Blackburn Rovers, both of whom had been showing excellent form. Everton, though the attack was about equally divided, weighting one half of the game with the other, thoroughly deserved their victory of 3 goals o 1 over the Blackburn Rovers in the Lancashire Cup tie on Monday, whichever side had the wind at their backs were for the time the aggressors, and, when assisted by the breeze, Everton scored three goals and the Rovers, on their turn coming, could score nothing, their only goal being gained with a burst ball, which would not have been allowed only the referee was not aware of the damage till after he had awarded the point. the team played up to a man, but the one player who can take credit for the quality of Everton's victory more than any other is Williams, who, at one period of the game, was kept busy for about 20 minutes repelling shots from all directions and doing it in a charmingly good and successful manner. Having accounted for the Rovers at Ewood Park, confidence increased in the ability of Everton to give as good account of themselves against Notts Forest on Saturday, and they proved that the belief was not misplaced. They again won with a margin of 2 goals; but, instead of 3 goals to 1, the score was 4 goals to 2 –figures that very fairly reflect the merits of the two teams. Still the game on Saturday was not the best seen of late. Everton worked their hardest all round, and so did Nottm Forest; but there were flaws in the time at times. The forwards gave some pretty movements in passing in open ground, but they were not so solid when they got close upon goal, and that they were not so is due in a great measure to the effective play of McPherson, who often proved a “thorn in the side” of both Geary and Maxwell, the centre half-back nipping many a sprint in the bud. However, there was no actual failure in the home vanguard, and their shooting was up to their average and better than that of their opponents, as a rule. All three of the half-backs played superbly, and so did Howarth. Kelso was not so successful. He did a lot of work in a masterly style, kicking strongly and correctly, but he was not uniformly surefooted, and missed his kick no and again. Williams sustained his good play in goal and could not be held responsible for the goals scored against him, and the other from a scrimmage. The Notts forwards were more powerful on the left wing then elsewhere, and the most successful in running and shooting was Pike, who is now only a locum tenins for H.B. Daft, the latter not being eligible on Saturday for a cup-tie, not having been registered sufficiently long with Notts Forest. The visitors, generally speaking, shot at too long range, or they might have been more effective. There was not much to choose between the Everton and Forest, half-backs, McPherson and McCracken especially tackling grandly. The back play of Scott and Earp was also high class, and Earp, with his powerful kicks, was almost as serviceable as his brilliant colleagues; but Brown added nothing to his reputation as a goalkeeper, and Nottm Forest certainly missed Allsopp, their usual custodian, but who was ineligible, having early in the season kept goal for Derby Junction, for a Cup-tie.


February 8, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton played a match with Heywood centre last evening for the benmifit of the Heywood district fund. tHe match was played by artificial light, and there was a larfe aatendance. Play ruled even, and at the interavl neither side had scored. On the resumtion the Evertonians went away with a dash, and scored a magnifical goal. The central attacked,, and the Everton goalkeeper had the greatest difficulty in keeping out several stiff shots. An intersting gane ended Everton 1 goal, centre nil.


February 11, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

The Associationists of this district have of late enjoyed a succession o big events at Goodison Park, thanks to Everton's good fortune in connection with the English Cup competition, but popular as these contests proved, with favourable weather, that of today, when Everton meet Preston North End in their return League match, will be followed with equal, if not greater, zest. It will form Preston North End's debut at the new Everton headquarters and perhaps, mark a new departure, for Everton have never been able to beat North End in a League match at Liverpool, though they once won at Preston (in 18889-90) by two goals to one. They came very near winning at Anfield last year, as the result was a draw of a goal each; but in all other League games North End have won, including that of this season at Deepdale on Dec 3 with the emphatic score of five goals to nil. This Everton will endeavour to avenge, and as they have got into a winning groove they will not be without reasonable hope, though it is a great performance to achieve. Anyway, the Prestonians will find the team opposed to them today very different to the one which they routed in the mud in December last, and one that will fight every inch of ground.

Everton v Preston North End, at Goodison Park, Kick-off at three pm. A selection will be made from the following to play for Everton; Williams or Rennie, goal; Kelso, Howarth or Parry, backs; Stewart, Holt, Jamieson, or Boyle, half-backs; Latta, Gordon, Maxwell, Geary, Chadwick or Milward, forward.


Everton v. Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield (League).


February 13 189. The Liverpool Mercury

This return match North End having won the first game by 5 goals to nil, was played at Goodison Park on Saturday, and, the weather being fine, a vast attendance was arriving to thew scene of action. Long before the time for commencing, the enclosure was filling up nicely, and late comers had to be content with a view from roof of the stands of inside the touch line. Some failed to gain admission, and the surrounding house were utilised for gaining a distant view of play. The ground was in spendid condition, but somewhat cross winds was a unconvenience to the players. teams were :- North End:- Trainor, goal, Holmes, and Drummond backs, Grier, Sanders, and Stewart,. Half-backs, Gordon (j), Ross (jn) (captain), Russell, Beckton,, and Cowans forwards Everton:- Williams goal, Kelso, and Howarth (capatin), backs, Boyle Holt, and Stewart, half-backs, Latta, Gordon, Maxwell, Chadwick and Milward, forwards. Preston kick off, with the wind slighly against then, and with the sun in their eyes, and had the first shie at goal, Ross putting into Williams's hands. Kelso cleared out the raiders, but North End returned. When Stewart moving forward but could not get in a shot. Milward got the best of a tussle with F Cowan, and Chadwick ran on but Milward, who had stopped to attend to his leg gear, could not assit, and the effort came to nothing. Everton kept well up, However, and following a corner, Latta scored with a hard shot, the ball srikering the far post and bouncing into the net, with the game but four minutes old. This early success was of course, loyally ackowledgement, and amidst intense excitement. Everton returned to the attack in a most spirited manner, Gordon shot in beaufully, and during the severe pressure which ensuded a corners were conceded. At length Beckton was almost successfulin challenging Howarth, but the latter was just in time, and kicking up Chadwick passed out to Latta to no purpose, Everton again went for goal, but were not allowed to shoot, and J Ross and Jgordon joined in a quick movement, the former shooting wide. A foul against Everton let North End once more, but they were promptly driven off, and a chance was created for Maxwell, who made a dilatory, but fair shot. Chadwick also went a little wide, and the scene of interst changed is Cowan grew menacing on the left wing. He centred to Ross, who was smartly dispossessed by Stewart. Back went Cowan, when Kelso deemed it safer to kick out, and, from the throw in, Williams was called upon and kicked clean away. A free kick helped Everton to become aggressive, and Maxwell was not far cut in the shot. Boyle beat Cowan in a race a few minutes later, but Beckton took on to the movement, only to shoot across and out. Again North End were faulty in aiming at goal, and then Latta dashed off along the right, and shot. Trainer making a fine save. A corner was forced, and Everton attacked gradually for sometime, whilst a pretty movement by Maxwell Gordon, and Chadwick was flourished off with a spankling shot by Latta which deserved more success than it met with. A goal, however, was only momentarily delayed, as on Stewart throwing in Milward shot into the net from a terrific kick, giving Trainor no possible chance. Another hearty cheer was raised which had scarcely subsided ere a mishap before Kelso who was stunned through an accidental kick on the side of the head by Russell the right back had to retire, and Milward joined Howarth in defence. His give North End a chance of improving their positions, and they seemed likely to achieve something tangible soon after resuming, but only got a corner whilst Cowan shot outside when he had a fine opening just afterwards. Stewart,, of Preston, made better use of a shot as he reached Williams who stopped the ball. North End had yet another thrust, but Williams threw away on Grier shooting srongly and Ross might have been effective during renewed pressure had he not been too eager. Everton then cleared their lines and had much the best of the play up to the interval, which arrived without any addition to the score, and with Everton leading by 2 goals to nil. On resuming Kelso reappered and was heartily welcomed. Holt fastened on the ball at once, and Milward got well down, but to no purpose. Kelso and Howarth were then called upon to defend, and were safe the former intercepting twice. The Everton left wing now showed up strongly, returning in capital style several times, but Holmes somewhat spoilt their shooting. Holt Boyle, and Stewart continued to be very successful in the work at half-back, and kept their forwards well on the attack. On a corner being placedon the Everton left, Maxwell headed into the net North End were now hopelessy beaten, and seemed to lose heart. Holt was almost succesful with a low shot, and Everton attacked in magnificient style, whilst North End could never get beyond the home backs, except once, when Russell went astray from a long shi. The next goal came from Gordon's foot, on Milward centreing neatly, and Maxwell soon followed with a fifth whilst just before the whistle sounded for cessation of play, Chadwick obtained a sixth, and Everton thus won by the emphatid score of 6 goals to nil-the heaviest defeat North End have suffered in the League since its establishment.



February 13 1893. The Liverpool Mercury



February 13, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton scored their greatest triumph in their whole career on Saturday, and are to be congratulated on the spendid achievement of defeating Preston North End by 6 goals to nil. Intersted centred in the combat and never was such a large gathering of spectators seen at a league match as that which crowded Goodison Park, capacious it be, to overrthrowing. Hindreds could not obtain admission, whist others found accomadition inside the fence which skirts the field of play and on the roof of the stands. The adjacent housetops were also brought into requistion, and together the scene was an imposing and animating one. The spectacle quickened the pulse of all present and, the sun shinning brightly during the greater part of the time, the crowd enjoyed their sport under the most happy auspices. The ‘'gate'' realised £725 10s 9d., upwards of 28,000 spectators passing though the turnastiles. In addition to these there were the members subscibers, and ‘'compimentaries,'' and thereb would thus be quite 30,000 people present. North End were over popular, and have always drawn''big houses'' but it was not their fame alone that served as the magnet. It was the recent strong play of Everton that gave so much seat to the event, on the strength of which the match was generally conceded to be a very open one, with Preston North End slightley the most fancied as winners with the exeception of N.J.Ross on the one side and Geary on the other, the teams were at full strength,, and so they met on pretty equal terms. Everton had the good fortune of choice of ends and turned their backs to the sun and the wind during the first half. They got into a remarkably fine and firm stride from the kick off and when Latta opened the scoring account within a few minutes of the start it was the result of some clever dashing all-round play that at once gave assurance that North End had at length met their match. Everton even inproved as the game went on, assertising their superiority in every department, and at the end of the intensely intersting and spirited game a vociferous cheer signalled their emphatic victory not a showed of fluke characterising one of the six goals scored. Everton were compelled to put up with ten men though Kelso retiring hurt, for the last quarter of an hour of the first half, but even when short handed they more than held their own. The rout was complete. Still the game never took a monitonour turn of Everton maintaining a bombardment the effective shots as a rule being the result of speedy raids. Everton were conscious that Drummond was a vulnerable spot in the North End defence, and aided by the somewhat cross wind, they brough special pressure to bear on the left back during the first half. N.J.Ross was certainly missed, but his presence could not have altered the issue the scoring might have been curtailed. Holmes was not much more successful than Drummond out he had a terribly earnest pair to face in Chadwick and Milward. Neither did the half-line of Preston come out well,, Sanders particularly proving weak. The forwards never played up to their reputation, Russell being almost repeatedly outwritten by Holt, whilst the wings were literaslly clipped by Stewart and Boyle. In fact the Everton half-backs were seen at their best, good as they have been in the proceding matches and the ease with which they beat the Preston giants created immense enthiusiasm. Howarth and Kelso got though their work so effectively that Williams was never hard pushed,, and only had about four shots to attend to, none of which had much power behind them. Geary was absent though injury to a thigh received in the Notts Forest match, but his inclusion could scarcely have improved the Everton vanguard. They combined spendidly, their passing being well timed, and so selfishness was seen whilst they infused surprising dash in the work and shot with great keenest and accuracy. There was no unevenness in their play for though Latta Chadwick and Milward gave one of their most brilliant expositions Maxwell, in the centre, and Gordon as Latta partner were every bit as serviceable. The condition of the men was an important factor in their favour, their staying powers speaking eloquently of the advantage of execise at Hoylake and the Attendance-paid them by their popular and efficient training. The superiority of Everton on Saturday well invest the Lancashire cup tie between the same teams on march 11 with increased importance, and, though this will be deciced at Deepdale Everton should have no misgivings of being capable of scoring another win. To-day they play their return League match with Sheffield Wednesday at Olive grove, and this will serve somewhat as a reheasal of the English Cup tie between these clubs at Goodison Park next Saturday.


February 14, 1893. The Lancashire Evening Post

By the “Lothian Lasser

Who-o-o-o-p!! There is blood on the moon this time for sure, and we must call upon North End to average themselves the next match they have with Everton. The insult must be wiped out in goals. Let North End train jealously to that end. Although it was pretty freely announced that Everton were going to win, it was in the best of spirits that North End's supporters welcomed their team as they entered the ground. Trainer swore that he wouldn't let more than half a shot through (we've since concluded that he meant half-a-dozen). However, we were to realize that North End is a more promising team than a fulfilling one. We felt rather less assured of the result when Nick Ross did not turn out to play. We shook when North End lost the toss, and kicked off against a sun and wind –and Everton. Ross almost instantaneously tested Williams, and call forth a wild shrink of joy from their supporters, which was prolonged into a coronas of despair when Latta beat Trainer before five minutes had passed. We thought North End would soon draw level, but our faces fell when we saw carrying all before them, except Holmes and Trainer, who somehow stuck in their throats. A goal kick enabled North End to break free, but Kelso stepped in and foiled them. A free kick punished Paddy Gordon for a dirty back charge; but North End could make no progress as Everton fairly amazed every man-jack of them by their dashing play. They returned under difficulties and caused Williams to save, but Everton came away brilliantly, and for many minutes shots of all sorts rained in upon Trainer and his backs. By dint of great exertion North End shook of their tormenters, and play took a turn to midfield, where North End showed up very well. Setting their teeth North End showed up very well. Setting their teeth hard the wily Evertonians dashed back, and before the bold North Enders knew what time o' day it was Chadwick had beaten Trainer again with a greased lightening shot. North End though it time to be shaping, and were getting within range of Williams when they were pulled up by someone getting hurt. When the vast body of spectators proceeded to jell, “Chuck him off,” “Dirty Russell,” and to hoot, we knew it must be their own man, because they don't hoot when a visitor gets hurt. It turned out that Kelso had run at Russell with his knees up, and he had met his match. He retired, and Milward took his place, being very soon called upon. A goal kick removed North End, and the Everton had another try, which “Genial George” nullified by bouncing Maxwell and heading clear to his forwards. Cowan and Beckton went off prettily, and North End rushed a corner, from which they pressed, but were too slow in front of goal. Williams saved twice, when, if we'd been playing, he'd have been banged, not only through his own goal, but through the net. This state of things didn't last long, and North End being again hemmed in Drummond showed his detractors that he can still play and be the best man for his side. He was simply impassable, and half-time came with Preston in the minority by two goals. The game was in full swing again, and Kelso in his old position before we knew where we were. Midfield play ruled at first, and Moses distinguished himself by jumping at Maxwell and being penalized accordingly, North End got down, and Jack Gordon screwed in well, but Cowan missed it. Ross got tripped up in goal and never appealed, so that he couldn't be quite himself, for it was a real dirty trick, worthy of the “Penalty.” In another stirring tussle, “Mo” sat on the ball, but Everton “Mo (w) ed him down (pun, please), and rushed away triumphantly, only to be flabbergasted by the ubiquitous Moses dragging Stewart down by the neck. Trainer next fell on the former line, and when he allowed himself to be passed a third time a few seconds later he deserved to have tin back to fall on. North End started off well, but “Mo” the iniquitous, this time got himself cautioned. Cowan and then Gordon were next on the job, and Jack Gordon beated Howarth, giving North End a wonderful chance, which Judy Holt basely stole from them, and North End were got rid of. Then Gordon made Holt feel smaller than a mustard seed, and the first and second views (especially the second) of the encounter of the long and short Jacks struck the spectators comically. Before the laughter had died away cruel Trainer let Paddy Gordon, of all persons! Beat him, and only for Georgie sprinting across and stopping their little game temporarily. Maxwell soon worked number five, and maddened into a sudden spurt of forward number five, and maddened into a sudden spurt of forward activity, North End caused Williams to save. From this clearance Chadwick tried a long shot, which rolled through Trainer's hands and feet; one who upheld the honour of the tam, and Gordon and Holmes were the only others who played anything near their reputation. The North End halves were very much “opt” but Everton played well all through and it is no undeserved tribute to Mr. Love, their trainer, to say that they are the best trained team in England. There are few crumbs of comfort, indeed, for that erring team of Preston's.


February 14 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton visited Sheffield Wednesday yesterday in order to decide their return league match with the Wednesday Club, who, it will be remembered, won when at Goodison Park on November 25, by 5 goals to 3. The day was dull in the extreme, and with rain falling the ground was of course rendered soft and heavy going. The attendance was only moderate, and numbered but about 5,000. Stewart and Kelso was given a rest, both having received injuries on Saturday, but not of a seroius nature, and the teams were accordingly as followed :- Everton:- Williams goal, Howarth (captain),and Parry, backs, Boyle, Holt and Jamieson half-backs, Latta, Gordon, Maxwell, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Sheffield Wednesday- Allen goal, Brandon (t), and Darrock backs Brandon (h), Betts and Chalmers, half-backs, Davies, Brown, Rowan, Woolhouse, and Macintosh forwards Howarth was fortunate in winning the toss, and Sheffield kicked off aginst the wind, which blew somewhat obliquely. The home team had first turn at attcak and after the ball had kicked over Davies shot in. Williams catching and throwing away, Jamieson was again beaten by the right wing but Parry cleared. Jamieson than showed some imrpovement, and the Everton left made headway. They were repulsed, but returned at once and on Milward centring T.Brandon put into his own gaol, and give Everton a point fove minutes from the start. Wednesday replied strongly on their left, and had a shot, when Parry cleared beautifully. Latta next shot outside as did Macintosh at the other end. Sheffield closed in again with spirit; and attacked solidly, but Everton defended equally well. Parry stopping a hard straight shot right in the goalmouth. A nice piece of passing, initiated by Holt enabled Latta to Shoot into the net from Milward's pass but the latter was ruled offside, and the point vetoed. Everton, thanks to good work by Holt, Boyle, and Howarth, brough further pressure to tear on goal, but the mud spoiled the passes of the forwards. Gordon shot wide from long range, and then Chadwick forced a corner, which was followed by a free-kick to Everton, but nothing could be made of the opportunites. Macintosh created a diversion by sprinting off, being raced by Howarth, who was successful in causing the ball to be run out. The Everton left got well down, but Brandon beat Chadwick smartly, and Rowan ran clear and passed to Wollhouse, who shot finely; but just outside. Brown had the next chance, which he made a tame use of, and the players fitted quickly up and down, the home forwards requiring a lot of attention in the dashing efforts. Latta ran end centred to Maxwell, who passed to Milward instead of taking a shot himself. Milward promptly put into the net, but was certainly offside, and the goal was disallowed . Brown gave a great trouble by closing in and shooting when Howarth in trapping the ball, and putting it aside, was penalised nothing serious arising from the free kick. Everton once more invaded their opponents' territory, but could not present a strong line, and were easily driven off. The Wednesday were more dashing, and but for a couple of marellous saves by Parry, must have scored. As it was Chalmers went only a shade too high from a spendid kick, whilst Davies had the ill-lcuk to hit the near post from a capital shoT, Sheffield continued to be crisp in their raids, and once more Parry's foot rescued his sie. He next headed, and this threw Chadwick in the way of the ball, he shooting into Allen's hands from a long range. Jamieson was weak in his attempt to arrest progess of Davies and Brown, but luckily Parry was as sound as a bell. Nearing half-time Everton showed better combination in front, and Maxwell took a good aim, Milward being too quick in making for the goalkeeper, who used his hands with effect. Williams saved from Woolhouse, who had received from the rigth wing, and after Parry had stopped another shot, and the ball had been put over the visitors goal, the interval arrived with Everton leading by a goal to nil. On resuming Parry, Howarth and Boyle in succession had to be quick in their kicks, so well did the home team follows up, and then Milward; from Maxwell was prevented just in the nick of time from shooting. Parry gave a corner, whick Boyle neutralised. Everton retaliated by also forcing a corner, from which Jamieson put outside Rowan got quickly under weigh, and was within an ace of scoring, but Williams throwing himself on the ball, justed repelled it. The Everton backs had again to be smart to clear, and made chances for their forwards, but these could not respond. Milward tried his utmost, and got good support from Chadwick but there was a weakness in the centre. Milward was next penalised for fouling an opponent. From the free kick Wednesday attacked the right wing being dashing in their movements, and Williams's charge became the centre of interst, a shot hitting the bar. Latta next ran and shot against the far post. The play took a more even turn for a time, and Jamieson made atmends for his prior fault by heading to safe quarters on two occasions. Latta from one of these clearances found himself in command, and running near in and centreing. Milward was ready, and banged into the net. Immediately following Parry headed narrowly over the bar. Wednesday made further attempts to score, but their shooting fell off from what it had been, they often nkicking at too long a distance. Brown, however, aimed spendidly a little later, but Williams punched towards Boyle, who headed away danger. The home men were not to be repulsed, and made another strong but futile raid. Latta was badly fed from the centre but still the left wing xcontributed a grand past but Chadwick unfortunately have hands. On resuming Milward screwed right across the mouth of goal, but Maxwell was unsussessful in his efforts to reach the ball. Almost every men now looked to be tiring. If anything, Everton were the fresher of the two teams, and had most of the remaining play, winning a hard game by 2 goals to nil.



February 15, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

Having agreeably discovered last Saturday, that the capacious ground of the Everton Fottball Club was not equal in accomodation to be demands on ‘'blue ribands'' days the exective, we are requasited to announce having decided to at once commence banking up the space on the Goddison-road side. By the means it is calculated that at least 40,000 spectators could be admitted to the grand. With a fair prospect of all seeing the play. The English council was not overlook the fact the Liverpool is the most popular centre of Association Football, and so, perhaps be induced for allot one of the international's or English Cup semi-finals ties at Goodison Park.


February 18, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton will tackle Sheffield Wednesday at Goodison Park. With fine weather the Everton ground will be sure to be packed to overflowing, for “form” supplies striking testimony of an open game. There is no disputing the fact that the Wednesday team is one of the best in the country, and, though they will be without Brady, they will yet be found a powerful and well-balanced combination. Everton and Sheffield Wednesday have met twice this season in the League, and have divided the honours, each having won when away from home, and both having aggregated in the two matches five goals –results which lend a charm to the play in the “rubber” game to day.

Everton v. Sheffield Wednesday, Goodison Park, Referee Mr. Armitt Leek


February 18, 1893. Chester Observer

To vanquish Everton Combination team twice in one season is no mean performance, and the Chester team are to be warmly congratulated for accomplishing this feat. The match on Saturday attracted a numerous assembly of spectators, and the utmost excitement prevailed. Chester were strongly represented, Ashton again making his appearance in the centre, after a few week's seclusion. The Evertonians brought about the strongest contingent that could possibly be obtained, and included a majority of players who have figured in the League team. The encounter was only a friendly one, but it was plainly evident that the Liverpool men were determined, if possible, to astone for their first defeat in the Combination by the Cestrians about six weeks ago. Although the Chester men were playing against the wind they forced the game at the commencement, and secured three free kicks close to the Everton goal. From the last one the leather was successfully rushed through, and this early success of the homesters was received with ringing cheers by the spectators. The Liverpool men then attacked strongly, and from a free kick Pay executed a fine save, although he was surrounded by the whole of the opposing forwards. It was quite refreshing to see the Cestrians in such good form, after their miserable display against Nantwich, and anyone who witnessed the latter match could scarcely believe it was the same team. The Cestrians were having quite as much of the game as their redoubtable rivals, and they shot splendidly, Parry and Collins having to defend vigorously. The Everton forwards, when they were fairly set moving, passed in clever style, but their shooting was far from accurate, while Wilson and Powell generally managed to dispossess them when they got too close to their fortress. Heys and Lewis put in some superb play, and once the latter, from a pass by Fleming, shot through, but the point was disallowed by the referee (Mr. Clare) for off-side, a rather questionable decision. Up to the interval the match continued to be of a ding-dong nature, but neither side could score, and the Cestrians crossed over one goal to the good. Everton led off in splendid fashion on restarting, and a dangerous run by Smith looked like being turned into account by Pinnell, but Powell cleverly frustrated the attack. Chester then took up the running, and Lewis, Ashton, and Heys made good attempts to lower the Everton colours. Rennie, however, was not to be beaten again. Even play followed for a time, and on one occasion a swift puzzling shot was sent in to Pay, the latter successfully dealing with it-a really smart save. Time was fast drawing to a close, and the Everton men tried hard to get on equal terms. Some dangerous rushes were made on the Chester goal, and it appeared as if they would succeed in drawing level, but the backs and goalkeeper were equal to the occasion, and came out of the ordeal with flying colours. The home left wing showed some neat work, and Lewis, receiving the pass, worked his way down the field, and transferring the ball to Ashton, the latter banged it through. To the manifest surprise of the spectators, the referee also disallowed this point on account of off-side. This was a decidedly erroneous decision, as, in the opinion of the majority of the onlookers on the stand side, Lewis was distinctly on-side when he secured the ball. However, as events turned out, it did not matter, as the Evertonians, try as they would –and they did try desperately hard at the finish –to score, the Chester defence cleared their lines in admirable style, and the homesters retired winners by one goal to nil. The Cestrians worked in splendid style al through, and fully deserved their victory. Pay was in good trim, and Powell and Wilson were in tip-top form. They were always in the thick of the battle, and both kicked and tackled superbly. The half-backs were seen to advantage, and all worked with precision. Porter had numerous passages of arms with Pinnell, and the sturdy Cestrian invariably came off successful. Astbury and Carter were also equal to the attacks of the opposing wing men. The forwards showed some neat passing, Lewis and Heys being very tricky, and Parry was kept continually on the alert. Ashton played a dashing game in the centre, and fed his wings perfectly. Fleming and Dighton also were smart, the latter showing considerable improvement on his recent displays. The Everton men were fairly and squarely beaten, and they evidently did not relish it, for towards the finish of the tussle they used their weight a great deal when they found they could not score, penalty kicks being frequently awarded against them. The backs and goalkeepers were strong, and Coyle showed sterling form at centre half. The forwards' passing was good, but their shooting was inaccurate. Smith, Murray and Pinnell were the best.

Chester v. Everton.

These combination teams met in friendly encounter on Saturday. Ashton started the globe, and after three free kicks had been awarded the Cestrians, the ball was shot through the visitors' goal after a slight scrimmage. The Liverpool contingent then assumed the aggressive, and Pay cleared a warm shot from Pinnell. The home lot-showed good passing, and Lewis and Heys made numerous attempts to score, but Parry cleared. The Chester custodian stopped a swift shot from Murray, and then a severe bombardment of the visitors' citadel took place, the defence having an anxious time. Deighton and Fleming showed some neat work, and shot well, and afterwards Astbury smartly checked the opposing wing. The Evertonians ran finely f=down the field, but Wilson and Powell, together with the trio of half-backs were conspicuous for some brilliant tackling. From a clever piece of play Lewis shot the ball through, but the point was not allowed for off-side. A lighting shot from the Everton left was brilliantly kicked away by Wilson and the home men again pressed, but all to no purpose, and the game at half-time stood –Chester one goal, Everton none. Resuming Everton attacked at the commencement and a dangerous run by Smith was cleverly frustrated by Powell. A good-pass from Heys was just shot over by Fleming. Heys and Jamieson had a tussle, and the former came out of it successfully, but his final effort went over. Lewis made a fine spurt, and Ashton, taking the pass, shot in, Rennie kicking away. Pay just cleared a difficult shot, and Murray had hard lines several times in not scoring. Lewis obtained possession, and in conjunction with Heys, executed a smart dribble. They passed to the centre, and Ashton put the ball through, but the point was disallowed for n infringement of the off-side rule. Some fast play then ensued. Deighton showed up prominently, and beat his opponents in meritorious style, but his shots did not take the desired effect. Porter relieved a heavy bombardment and a pretty run was effected by the Chester front ran. Rennie kicking out to save. No additional points were scored, and the game ended –Chester one, Everton none. The teams were as follows: - Chester, Pay, goal; Wilson and Powell, backs; Astbury, Porter and Carter, half-backs; Deighton, Fleming, Ashton, Heys, and Lewis, forwards. Everton: - Rennie, goal; Parry and Collins, backs; Jamieson, Coyle and Chadwick, half-backs; Ellis, McMillian, Pinnell, Smith and Murray, forwards.


February 20, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton are in the semi-final. They have just reached a higher post of honour than ever before, and even if they should make no further advance in the Cup competition –there are no grounds for believing they will not go further ahead –the present season will be a memorable and pleasurable one in the history of the club. That Everton have been lucky in securing choice of ground on three successive occasions in the cup ties has been a distinct advantage, but they have in turn had powerful opponents to contend with, and, after, making every allowance for the help they received in playing on their own ground and in the presence of sympathetic crowds, it must be conceded to be a brilliant performance to have defeated West Bromwich, Notts Forest, and Sheffield Wednesday in consecutive rounds, and scoring in the aggregate 11 goals to 3. As the next stage will be decided on neutral ground the chances are at least equal, and the partisans of Everton are quite justified in feeling sanguine that Liverpool will be represented in the final tie, even if the cup is not secured and brought to the “good old town,” Everton did well during the last week in beating Sheffield Wednesday twice –in a League match at Sheffield on Monday, and on Saturday at home in a cup tie-and that they prevented their opponents scoring on each occasion was a fitting sequel to their great victory over Preston North End. They have thus scored 11 goals to nil in their last three matches. What better testimony of the sound defence of Everton could be furnished of the resource of the attacking division? The League match on Monday was a very hard game, the ground being ankle deep in mud. This impedimenta interfered with the passing of Everton, and it was stamina rather than skill which made for victory. Luck also had an influence, and what there was of this useful agency fell to Everton, especially when T. Brandon put into his own goal. The Sheffielders had more attempts at scoring, and were very good in their shots during the first hour, Davies being prominent and far too smart for Jamieson who was playing left half-back. The feature of Everton's play was that of defence, and Parry got through an enormous lot of heavy work in a masterly manner, some of his clearances, particularly in the early stages of the game, being almost miraculous. Howarth was also in fine feather, whilst Williams never made a mistake, though he had some ugly thrusts at goal to parry. Holt, Boyle, Latta, Chadwick and Milward were all in good form, but Jamieson, Maxwell and Gordon seemed hampered with the wind. Having beaten Sheffield at Olive Grove, Everton entered upon their cup tie contest of Saturday full of confidence, especially as they had their full team, which had been braced up during the four proceeding days in the exhilarating atmosphere of Hoylake. Wednesday were not quite so fortunate, as they were compelled to do without the assistance of Darrock, their usual left back, who had been seized with illness. Spikesley, however, reappeared, and this fact influenced hopefulness on the part of Sheffield. There was soon to be experienced a crushing blow to their faith, as Chadwick within three minutes found an entrance to the net, and from this early stage it was uphill work for the visitors. They plodded on, but always looked a beaten team, as Everton had about four fifths of the subsequent play, and won with great ease considering the calibre of their opponents. That the scoring was not greater was due in some measure to the unevenness of the ground, the turf having been disturbed in patches, thus rendering footing uncertain, and accurate passing and shooting difficult. There was some splendid passing, however, by Everton at times, but they could not, from reasons above mentioned, sustain the fine play of the Preston match. The half-backs, backs, and goalkeeper all gave a magnificent display and almost paralyzed the Wednesday vanguard. The amount of work that fell upon T. Brandon, Mumford, and Allen was thus formidable, and on the whole they achieved such distinction, especially Brandon and Allan, H. Brandon also played gamely, but the others were only moderate in their lacking or kicking and the weakness of the half-backs will explain much of the ineffectiveness of the visiting forwards. The game unfortunately took a rough tendency in the second half. The number of free kicks given to Everton proved who were the aggressors, and both Holt and Milward received nasty knocks on the head.


February 20, 1893. The Sheffield Independent.

Everton v Sheffield Wednesday.

(By One of the Crowd).

The matches in the competition for the English Association Challenge Cup have a charm for the Football devotee. Peculiarly their own, and more enthusiasm is shown in the various contests through the succeeding rounds than is experienced in any League or even international game, although to play in the latter is generally admitted to be the footballer's highest ambition. If evidence of this was required it is only necessary to look at the “gates” recorded for the four matches on Saturday – 30,000, 25,000, 20,000 and 14,000 being given as attending. Everton and Sheffield Wednesday was a peculiarly attractive draw, as in their league games each team had won away from home and each side had scored five goals. Everton, it may be stated have been extremely lucky in their draws having been the first out of the bag on each occasion, and have on each occasion been able to dispose of their opponents at the first time of asking, while, on the other hand, Wednesday, as everybody knows have been so bumbugged by protests that they were never sure when they had won, and were not certain even of the team that would represent them in the third round until later on Friday night. Although Wednesday had done so badly in their two last matches, there was no lack of enthusiasm on the part of their supporters, and the M.S. & L Railway Company carried the large number of people to the scene of operations. The weather was anything but inviting on arriving at Liverpool heavy ran overnight being followed by frequent showers during the morning. This, however, was not sufficient to damp the ardour of the spectators, and from the time of the opening of the doors until after three o'clock a steady stream of spectators filled into the ground. It would be hard to find a ground with better accommodation then Goodison Park, and it is no exaggeration to say that 15,000 people can be placed under cover, and see the game. The citizens of Sheffield were early on the scene, and formed no small part of the hugh company assembled the colours of the Wednesday club being conspicuous in all parts of the ground. As time drew near for the commencement of hostilities the utmost excitement prevailed, but the crowd was very well behaved, and inclined to be humorous. Much amusement was caused by the frantic efforts two or three spectators to get on the top row of the already heavily packed stands at the Liverpool end of the ground, and their unsuccessful efforts were greeted with roars of laughter. The sweet music of the fog horn, the tinkling of bells, and the irritating sound of rattles could be heard all over the ground, and it was a relief to not a few when a tremendous shout heralded the advert of the Everton team in the arena at five minutes to three. This was repeated almost immediately when Tom Brandon was seen leading his men on the field, and great satisfaction was expressed when it was seen that the Wednesday captain was able to take his place in the team, although it was painfully evident he was suffering severely, and would not be able to do himself full justice. The game itself will be fully described by our own able football reporter, but still there are several incidents, which occurred during the afternoon, which may well be recorded here. When the game commenced it was quickly seen that the Evertonians were in thorough earnest, and the first goal, scored by Chadwick, was received with a yell of delight which would not have disgraced Oliver Grove. Both teams were loudly cheered by the spectators, and although the home contingent were certainly having the best of the play the followers of the Blues and white never gave up hope, when Everton scored their second goal the delight of the Liverpoolians knew no bounds, and it was confidently asserted that Everton would win by more goals than they defeated Preston by the previous Saturday. Just before half-time the Sheffield spectators made their present known in uncertain manner, but instead of a yell of delight it was a yell of execration levelled at one or two of the home team. The first was caused by one of the Everton backs fouling Spilkesley in a very dirty manner. One young gentleman sitting just at the back of “one of the Crowd” at once proceeded to yell himself boarse, and his voice was heard very little more during the game, except in a very subdued and modified style. The second was caused by an Everton man throwing out his leg and tripping Rowan deliberately barely outside the penalty kick line, the Wednesday centre having just tricked two or three opponents, and having no one in front of him except the goalkeeper. The free kick for this did not improve Wednesday's position, and at half-time Everton were still leading by two goals to none. While the teams were off a gentleman stepped on the playing pitch, armed with a shovel, and proceeded to knock down the lumps of turf that had been kicked up in front of the goal which Sheffield had to defended in the second half. One was suggested that he was leveling this part so that the Everton forwards, would not fall down, but, be this as it may, the other end of the ground was left severely alone, a fact that did not escape the attention of many of the Sheffielders, one or two of whom humorously offered their services in this direction. After a few minutes rest the teams returned to resume the contest, and Allen, the Wednesday goalkeeper, received a right royal reception on making his way to his position, and right well did the lengthy custodian deserve this mark of recognition, his goal-keeping being the best exposition that has been seen for some time, he got a reception of a different character later on in the game, it happened in this wise. Allan caught a good shot from one of the home forwards and quickly threw away, and then jumped up and caught Milward with his foot as the later was rushing up to charge him through. A few minutes previous to this, it may be added one of the Everton forwards (presumably Milward) had made a flying leap at Allen and hurt his arm with a nasty kick. No foul was given for this, although in addition to having his arm hurt, the Wednesday custodian was knocked heavily against the goalpost. Now, when Allen was guilty of a very similar thing, the referee took the extreme view of awarding a penalty kick, a decision which evoked no little surprise on the part of both players and spectators. It was heardedly argued that he could not do such a thing, but – he did. This was sufficient tom knock the heart of the Wednesday team, but they struggled manfully on to the end, when the official verdict was Everton three, Wednesday none. There is no disguising the fact that the better team won, and Everton are to be heartily congratulated on their greatly improved form, although it would be no work for them if they could induce one or two members of the team to show a little more gentlemanly spirit even when playing in an English Cup-tie. Feb 20 1893

And in presence of a vast throng of ardent admirers, the task the “Blades” had to face was indeed a great one. The Everton captain beat Tom Brandon in the spin of the coin, and selected what I called the Mear lane end, having by this choice a slight wind in his ends, having by this choice a slight wind in his faour. Rowland kick-off at three o'clock, and Brown did some tricky work, but Holt drove back the advancing Sheffielders. Then Everton attacked, and Milward sent in a grand centre, and gave Latta a good opening, but the outside right shot wide. The Evertonians kept the ball at the Sheffielders' end, and Chadwick put in a capitally scored first goal for Everton within a minute of the start. Wednesday then had a turn, Rowan leading the way and passing to the right, Davis, however, dallied instead of shooting, and good play by Holt soon transferred play, the Evertonians, midst loud cheers from their supporters, having the best of the play, and Geary putting in a clinking shot which grazed the crossbar. The Wednesday defence was severely taxed at the time, and Geary put in a splendid how fast shot, which, however, Allan saved very smartly on the line. At length good play by Woodhouse and Spikesley gave Rowan a chance, but he shot feebly, and Williams easily saved. Soon the Evertonians were busy attacking again, and once Chalmers cleared a dangerous attacks in the nick of time. The Evertonians shooting was not good at this time, but they narrowly missed scoring again from a rush following a free kick for hands, but the ball was headed just over the bar. The Wednesday right wing got alway, but a foul against Davis drove them back. Play was in favour of Everton very decidedly at this time, and a couple of corners to the Liverpoolian greatly endangered the Wednesday goal. A little later Tom Brandon kicked away just in time out of the mouth of goal, indeed, inspite of his injury, the Wednesday captain defended well, but could not kick strongly. Several times Wednesday tried to get away, but the home halves were very strong. The Wednesday goal had several very narrow escapes, but Allan saved marvellously, he kicked away a terrific shot from Chadwick, and then, from a clear opening just under the bar when a touch would have scored, he put the ball over amidst loud laughter from the crowds. There was a terrific bombardment of the Sheffielders goal, and shot after hot was fired into the goalmouth. For some time the visitors citadel escaped, H. Brandon and Betts working very hard, but after half an hour's play a long shot into goal was headed through in a rush, and Everton led by two to none. Play was very vigorous. The Sheffielders now made several breaks away. Spikesley put in one of his fast runs, and shot just across the goal. Brown also tried a long shot, but it went wide. A rush into the Blades' quarters saw Allen make another grand save. Wednesday, for once, made a nice passing advance, but were foiled by Holt. The Sheffielders, were playing better. They worked tremendously hard, especially Spikesley, Rowan, and Davis, but there was no combination in their attacks, and Woodhouse and Brown proved very inadequate partners to the fast outside men. Once Rowan got right through the Everton defence and seemed certain to score, when he was tripped, as far as could be judged, within the 12 yards limit. The Sheffielders present loudly shouted “penalty” and Wednesday claimed a penalty kick, but the referee awarded a free kick only, and after a struggle, the ball was put out. Everton attacked again just before half-time, and had several corners, but the defence prevailed, and the interval arrived with Everton leading by two goals. Allan, the Wednesday goalkeeper, was applauded as he left the ground. Score: - Everton 2 goals, Sheffield Wednesday 0 goals. When ends were changed Wednesday had the wind, and they were the first to attack, getting a throw in the home quarters, but without breaking down the defence of the Evertonians. Another advance by the Sheffielders ended in Brown shooting wide. Play at first was slower than it had been, but the Wednesday players at this point made several dangerous attack, Brown did some very pretty and tricky work, which finished in him giving Williams a capital shot to stop. This the Everton custodian just managed to do, and Brown was cheered for his effort. Then the Liverpool men darted off again, and Latta just missed. H. Brandon several times cleared by good play at critical moments, and Tom Brandon headed out a hot shot. Wednesday attacked with vigour, and from “hands” against the home side the Sheffielders all but scored, Brown heading in from the free kick, and Kelso only just clearing on the line, giving a corner. This failed to break the Everton defence, and a rush to the other end saw Milward put in a grand shot, which Allan cleverly saved. Then Wednesday came again, but Woolhouse shot over. Fifteen minutes from the change of ends some pressure on the Wednesday goal resulted in Chadwick shooting through again, but the referee disallowed Everton's point. For a case of off-side. Play grew vigorous, and some hot attacks were made on the Blades goal which, however, Allan repeatedly saved by some brilliant goalkeeping. The way he stopped several lighting shots, and avoided hurricane rushes of the Evertonians front ranks was loudly applauded. Maxwell had a grand chance of adding to Everton score, but shot badly. Play then grew for a time fairly even, and was vigorous enough for anything. A bit of clever play by Spikesley let in the other Wednesday forwards, and they did a bit of pretty passing, but were soon fouled and did not get much nearer goal, and it a rush Kelso cleared. Everton the best of some exciting play, but the game at this period was more even than in the first half, Holt did splendid work for Everton in foiling the Wednesday forwards, and at length Everton made several dashing attacks on the visitors' citadel, one shot striking the upright, Milward was hurt, but soon resumed. Everton now pressed, and a hot shot being put in Allan saved it. The Wednesday goalkeeper had been the recipient of some heavy charges, and as Milward was dashing at him he this time, unfortunately, lost his temper, and after throwing away the ball he kicked the Everton forwards. Upon this the referee came to the rather extraordinary decision that a penalty kick had been incurred, and Kelso, taking it, Everton added another point in spite of a great effort by Allan, who just managed to touch the ball. The home team thus led by three goals to none. Twelve minutes from the finish, Wednesday dashed away on restarting, but Williams saved a long shot easily. The Shefielders tried again, and Davis gave Williams a shot to stop, which the home custodian did by beating out. Everton were soon busy, attacking again, and were clearly not only on the score, but on the play the strongest ad clever team. In the last few minutes Everton pressed hotly, and the Wednesday goal had several narrow escapes. The home team did, indeed, got the ball through, but a clear case of offside nullified, the point. The ball would probably have gone through and scored a legitimate goal had not Milward, who was offside, justed touched it on the line. The Sheffielders made one or two spurts, but without getting really dangerous, and Everton had the best of the play to the end, which came with the score;- Everton 3 goals, Sheffield Wednesday 0. Teams:- Sheffield Wednesday:- W. Allan, goal; T. Brandon and A.C. Mumford, backs; H. Davis, R.N. Brown, A. Rowan, and H. Woodhouse, half-backs; F. Spikesley, Everton:- Williams, goal; Kelso and Howarth, backs; Boyle, Holt and Stewart, half-backs; Latta, Maxwell, Geary, Chadwick and Milward, forwards. Referee Mr. T. Armitt. The better team won, and but for Allens brilliant goalkeeping the score would have been greater. The victors played a strong and clever game all round. Holt was in fine form at a centre-half, and Chadwick and Milward were a brilliant wing. Though often passed by the speedy left wing of his opponents, H. Brandon played a capital game for Wednesday, and often saved the goal. Betts also played well and never tried. There was scarcely any combination among the Wednesday forwards, and this was due mainly to the poor display of the two inside men, Woodhouse and Brown, the other three working hard, but without good support. In spite of his lameness, Tom Brandon played excellently at back, but Mumford was weak. Allan's goalkeeping was superb, and on his day's form he was probably on superiors. Everton played the better game from start to finish, and fully deserved to win, but the game was not a runaway affair.



February 20, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

Kelso first evertonian to score from penalty spot

This tie was decided at Goodison Park on Saturday, and though the weather was threatening there was another of the large crowds for which the Everton enclosure has became fanous about 26,000 spectators patronising the important even't. the ground was on the heavy side of course, but until some of the turf became dislodged was in as good going condition as it possibly could be, considering the amount of rain that had fallen during the prevoius 24 hours. The teams were, Darroch being ill to play:- Everton Williams, goal, Kelso and Howarth (captain), backs, Boyle Holt, and Stewart, half-backs, Latta Maxwell, Geary Chadwick and Milward, forwards, Sheefield Wednesday:- Allen goal, Brandon (t), and Munford backs, Brandon (h), Betts, and Chalmers, half-backs, Davies, Brown, Rowan, Woolhouse, and Spikelsey forwards . Mr. Arnitt, give the signal for Rowan to commence operations prompt to time, and he kicked off against the wind. A few touches were indulged in neutral quarters, and then latta had the first shot which was not at all a bad one. Before the Wednesday men had time to breathe freely on their escape. Milward passed to his partner, and Chadwick shot in and scored grandly with the game only two minutes old. Everton thus took an early start, and a great burst of cheering welcomed this success. A free kick next fell to Wednesday, when T Brandon lobbed up to near the gaol but Stewart returned the visitors again tried to get at goal when Holt and Stewart neutralised their efforts and enabled the whole of the Everton forwards to join in a grand passing movement. This Mumford rendered abortsive by crushing the ball to be ran out on the right. The home van had another try, Latta screwing in beautifully and Geary just failing in his efforts to get the ball and drive into goal. Spikesley caused a momentary diversion, but was robbed by Boyle, and after some neat passing Geary hit the bar with a long hard shot. A corner followed, and then Geary shot well along the ground Allan just getting down to the ball in time. Holt who had received a kick on the head, which was bleeding freely. Kept on playing, and did some spendid work keeping the Sheffield from becoming too aggressive but they yet got in a shot, though a tame one, and one which Williams easily played. Holt once more disconcerted the opposing forwards, and Everton attacked strongly Chadwick shooting nicely and Latta heading narrowly over the bar. Wednesday made some progess on the right, but Allan soon made a good save from a spanking aim by Chadwick. Geary put outside from a scrimmage, whilst a corner was forced on the right. The Everton forwards were given no respite, so successful were their half-backs in supplying them with employment, but their final touches just now were a little too hard. Coming up again, Latta screwed a shade wide, and this was supplemented by Chadwick driving cross to Latta, but who could not quite reach the ball. Sheffield essayed a movement on the left, which Boyle promptly spoil, and Milward finding himself within range, shot hard, when Allan used his foot with effect. The ball returned to goal, and Maxwell well had a clear opening, but lifted onto the net. Allan made another save. Brown proving too weak for Stewart, lost possession, and the latter passing up, some quick close following up was flourished of by Geary heading neatly into the net, and cementing Everton's lead. The enthusaisum was again arosed to a high pitch, for Everton had nearly all the play. The Wednesday now woke up, Spikesley running and shooting capitally but he got no one take his passes. He also had hard luckwith a screwing shot. After Allan had attended to a good shot by Chadwick, a spell of even play enaged, culminating in Rowan sprinting off when he was fouled close in, but nothing came from the free kick. Then Everton swared around goal, shooting well and forcing corners without alterong the score, which at the interval, Everton were leading by 2 goals to nil. On resuming Geary and Maxwell for a time changed places. Sheffield attack on the left, without becoming dangerous, to which the Everton left promptly replied, also without the desired effort. The Wednesday undoublty displayed much improvement just at this period and at least caused play to be pretty evenfor ten minutes. Each goalkeeper being tested and shaping well. the play was thus rendered most intersting, but Everton by progess surely bore down their opponents, and settled down to a pretracted onslaught, shots flying in from all quarters. Receveing from the left wing Latta once put into the net, and on another Maxwell hit the far post. Latta shot was off-side. Latta next shot out from Chadwick, and on Milward rushing in to take the ball from the right wing, he received a kick from Allan, which was so unprovoked, that a penalty kick was given to Everton. This was entrusted to Kelso, who scored spendidly. Everton continued to have all the best of the game right up to the finish but could not again score, and hearty cheers signalled the whistle sounding. Thus everton winning play 3 goals to nil.



February 27 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

This return match between these clubs was played at Accrington on Saturday, in the presence of 4,000 spectators, which included about 300 execursionists from Liverpool. The ground was hard through frost and had a thin coating of snow, whilst the weather was very cold. Both sides were different than usual in one or two respects, and wer as follow:- Accrington, Hay, goal, Hodge, and Ditchfield, backs, Stewart,, Boyle and Shuttleworth half-backs, Lea (t), and Whitehead right wing. Lea (h), Centre, Kirham and Cookson left wings. Everton:- Williams goal, Kelso and Parry, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart, half-backs, Geary, and Gordon, right wing, Maxwell, centre, Chadwick and Milward left wing, referee Mr Fitzroy Norris (Bolton) Maxwell set the ball in motion but there was noadvantage in winning the toss as there was no wind to speak of. Everton opened full of promise, as Chadwick promptly had a shot which Ditchfield diverted, but before a clearance could be effected Chadwick dribbled cleverly and then shot into the net just under the bar, Hay being apparently unprpared for such a fine aim, though he shove his utmost to reach the ball. Gordon next screwed a little wide of the goal and hands against Holt offered a chance to Accrington of escaping. Which they did on the right, but Stewart caused the ball to be run out. Everton were quickly back at goal, when Milward centred beautifully, but both Gordon and Geary failed to reach the ball. Holt and Chadwick next dribbled close in, when the latter shot over the bar, as did Geary a minute later. Accurington found relief on their left wing, and Cookson moved near in at a spendid stride, Passing Boyle; but he had Kelso yet to reckon with, and got no further. He returned in a little while and was again foiled completely by Kelso. Geary then raced along the wing and sent a cross to Chadwick, whose kick for goal was met by one of the opposite backs. A free kick was given to Everton, but this was smartly neutralised and opened up the play somewhat, culmuaing in Kirkham driving hard and Williams cleanly catching the ball. An undesable incident now obtruded. During a Accrington free kick was given, against Holt,but nothing came from this. Them Kelso headed clear from Whitehead, then Everton had a free kick followed by Chadwick forcing a corner of Hay who punched over the bar. A corner was also given by Parry and Stevenson placed well, but Parry came to the rescue. Kelso and Boyle each kicked cudiciously when thwe home left wing grew threantening, and the play livened considerably, during which spirited moment several players received slight knocks, the play took at6 turn in favour of Everton, and after Everton forced a corner, Chadwick dribbled and passed to Maxwell who in return the ball back to Chadwick who scored a grand , with ten minutes stilo to go, before the interval. Cookson was tried at centre by Accrington on resuming. Everton reopened with a thrust to the left wing, when the ball cenrtre ,but Accrington were ready to prevent Maxwell putting into the net. The home team by means of hard kicking and smart play following up attack with great likehoodof success of hitberto but Kelso and Parry each intercepted completely every time it became necessary. Bowie had to withdraw, though an injurie, but the home though short handed were seen pressing and Williams had to use his hands. A sprint followed on the Accrington left when T Lea took a crossover, and had hard lines in hitting the end of the net. This proved to serve another reverse, for the home team, as Maxwell passed to Gordon who close in,, the latter beat Hay, put the whistle sounded for a foul against Ditchfield, the referee considering it inside the the 12 yards, making it a penalty kick ,, which was enthrusted to Kelso, who scored in grandly. Accrington could have no hope now of saving the game and a grand game finsided in favour to Everton by 3 goals to nil.


February 25, 1893, The Liverpool Mercury

There will be less excitement in Liverpool this afternoon than for some weeks past, as Everton League are away at Accrington, whither many will wend their way, a cheap excursion being announced. At Goodison Park, Everton will decide their first combination match with Buxton.

Everton v Accrington, Accrington, Kick-off at 3-30 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Williams goal; Kelso and Howarth, backs; Boyle, Holt, and Stewart, half-backs; Latta, Maxwell, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.

Everton v. Buxton, Goodison Park, Kick-off at 3.30 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Rennie, goal; Chadwick, and Parry, backs; Coyle, Jones, and Jamieson, half-backs; Smith, Murray, Hartley, McMillian, and Elliott, forwards.


February 27, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton judged through the later achievements of the respective teams, had a comparatively light task set them to emerge successfully from their return bout with Accrington, notwithstanding that the same clubs were pitted against each other at Goodison Park on Oct, 22 last the issue was an indecisive one, each side obtaining a goal. Accrington, however, took a downward turn with the commencement of the New Year, since when they have not won a League match, and failing to score in their three preceding matches to Saturday. Everton on the other hand, had never looked back from the 14 th of January, and defeating on that day the West Bromwich Albion, initiated a remarkable sequence of successes, winning on every occasion, though their opponents were all League teams. Everton then, were expected to win on Saturday, and they did so in a very easy manner by 3 goals to nil. The scoring was almost identical singularly with that of the previous week –a goal in five minutes, a second one half an hour later, and a “penalty “ kick goal by Kelso in the second half. The game was not a brilliant one by any means, but the state of the ground, which was hard through frost and slippery, will explain the lack of sustained combination. There was plenty of animation, however, displayed, but it was more in the direction of a kick and a rush, though now and again some neat passing, especially on the Everton left wing, rejoined the play from being passed mediocre. MJilward and Chadwick, evidently determined to show their selection to play for England against Wales was thoroughly merited, were certainly the cleverer of the whole of the forwards engaged in the match, and were splendidly served by Maxwell, who passed most unselfishly and with capital taste, Geary and Gordon –Latta took a rest –were not familiar with each other, though both worked hard. The Everton half-backs were not at their best, but did all much so that the Accrington forwards nearly always seemed disjoined. Parry filled Howarth's place fairly well, but he was not so sure footed as usual. Kelso, however, played strongly all through, tackling and kicking with rare judgement, and mainly through his smartness Williams had very few decent shots to neutralize, but if the opportunities were rare, the clearance of Everton's goalkeeper were always brilliant. The Accrington men were dashing, but very ragged, the one man who played consistently well –and he was kept busy –being Hodge the right back.



February 27, 1893. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park, before 3,000 spectattors. Everton at once made a strong attack upon Chappale charge then Smith and Hartley scoring. Fletcher scored for Buxton, thus Everton leading by 2 goals to 1 at the interval Everton had the best of play during the second half, Hartley Elliott McMillan scored for Everton, thus Everton winning by 5 goals to 1.

Everton Team. Rennie goal, Chadwick and Parry backs, Coyle, Jones, and Jamieson half-backs, Smith Murray Hartley, McMillan and Elliott forwards.

Place 1 ST played 17, won 14, lost 2, drew 1, for 80, against 10, points 29