October 1892


October 1, 1892. The Liverpool Football Echo


Played before a large number of spectators on the Dresden ground today. Dresden kicked off with a slight wind in their favour, but the Everton forwards showed grand combination, and passed beautifully. Both goals were in turn besieged, but the defence on either side was good. The backs played a fine game and as the forwards on both sides played a fast and furious game they had plenty of work to do. Several splendid shots were put in by both sides, but a heavy rain fell during the first half, and this made scoring almost impossible. Everton played a grand game throughout, but the homesters were in good form and at half-time nothing was scored.

Final Result; Everton Reserves 3 goals, Dresden United 1 goal.



October 1, 1892. The Liverpool Football Echo

League Match –Division 1.

The excessive rain of the week has rendered the ground somewhat floppy, though it appeared in much better condition than would have been imagined. Jardine again took up his position in goal, and Collins was substituted for Kelso at left back. There was a large crowd, numbering some 12,000 when Geary set the ball in motion punctual to time, and Everton were early on the move, Latta and Maxwell racing up the right, and then transferred across to the left, Chadwick forcing a fruitless corner, which Dunning just save in time. Aston Villa then assumed the upper hand, and Holt conceded a corner. Cowan shot well in to Jardine, who saved the shot in magnificent style, though the effort rendered him hors de combat and necessitated the stoppage of the game for a short period. On resuming Everton assumed the upset hand, and Latta gave Dunning a severe handiful which the Villa goalkeeper successfully negotiated. The visitors raced to the other end, where Jardine succumbed to informality. The Villains still held the upper hand, and Hoggetts and Campbell indulged in some pretty play the former sending across to the other wing, but Collins compelled the invaders to beat a nasty retreat. Geary took up the running, and passed grandly to Milward, who, however, shot very tamely. The rain was coming down in torrents, but this did not appear to be any detriment to the players, both sides going it in ding-dong style, and Maxwell had a splendid opening but failed to get the desired direction. Even play was the order for some time, which culminated in a Birmingham men kicking over the line. Then Everton assumed an aggressive attitude, and after pretty passing between home front rank Geary elicited the plaudits of the crowd by a grand shot, which Dunning only just fisted over the bar. Thorn and the subsequent corner Latta was within an ace of scoring, and then Chadwick had very hard lines. After a continued onslaught on Dunning's charge by Everton, in which the visitors' goal escaped capture. The Villains made a flying visit to Jardine's end, forcing a corner, which, however, was well got rid of by the home custodian. Immediately Everton were away again, and Geary once more had very hard lines. Athersmith received the admonition of the referee for kicking Collins. The visitors attacked for a while, but Howarth relieved to half way. A free kick gave Aston a chance of which, however, they failed to take advantage and Milward forced an unproductive corner. Everton then attacked vigorously, their forward play in particular being simply grand, but the defence of Stokes, Evans, and Dunning was impregnable, and shot after shot was treated in the same cool manner. At last, however, Milward lowered the Villains colours, but was ruled off-side, and from a grand shot by Chadwick a corner was conceded which proved useless. Half-time; - No goals scored by either side.

After the usual interval Devey restarted Everton at once making for Dunning's end, but Milward's shot went outside. The “Blues” were having much the best if matters, as indeed they had throughout, and the outside left was given a fine chance for a score, but failed at the critical point. Geary was the next to test the abilities of Dunning whom he found it impossible to beat and shortly afterwards Maxwell shot into the visiting custodian's hands. For a while midfield play was the order, and then the home centre and inside rushed down, the former's shot going high over the bar. A foul gave Everton an opportunity, but Holt placed the ball badly, and Cowan relieved. Everton were now having matters their own way, and play was carried on entirely in the Villians half of the field. The ball however, was so heavy that it was impossible to get the desired direction and although times without number shots were showered in they all failed to hit the mark. At last Evans gave relief, and the Villains paid a visit to Jardine's end, where a profitless corner, however, was the only result. Everton were back again in a trice and Chadwick once more unsuccessfully attempted to capture Dunning's charge. A foul to the Villa was the next feature, but the Evertonians were back again in a second, and after Latta had just missed his aim, Maxwell raced up and scored, upsetting Evans in doing so amidst tremendous enthusiasm.

Final Result; Everton 1, goal, Aston Villa nil.


October 1, 1892 The Liverpool Mercury

On the ground of the former, during the first half, of the game, both set of forwards played up grandly but at the interval no score had taken placed. Afterwards, however the defences were not so insuperable, as Everton scored 3 times and Dresden one. Everton team, Thomas, goal Coolins, and Chadwick backs McLaren, Jones, and Jamieson half-backs, Gordon, Murray Pinnell McMillan, Elliott forwards Placed 1 st played 5,, won 5, lost 0 drew 0, for 36 against 2 points 10


October 1, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Evertonians are again favoured with a match at home at Goodison Park, and one that should arouse more than usual attention, since the visitors are Aston Villa, against whom Everton have a grievance for having defeated them by 4 goals to 1 at Perry Barr on September 10.

Everton v. Aston Villa, Goodison Park. Kick-off at four pm. The following will play for Everton; Jardine, goal; Howarth and Kelso, backs; Boyle, Holt, and Robertson, half-backs; Latta, Maxwell, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.

Everton v. Dresden United, Fenton, Kick-off at 3.30 pm. The following will play for Everton; Thomas, goal; Collins and A. Chadwick, backs; McLaren, Jones, and Jamieson, half-backs; Gordon, Murray, Pinnell, McMillian, and Elliott, forwards.


Everton v Queen's Park, Goodison Park



October 3, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton are themselves again. They did not confirm their superior play of Saturday week over Newton Heath in the return with the Heathens last Monday; but they would probably have won again had time permitted and the light been better. Newton Heath had always been hard to beat on their own goal, and their rushing kind of tactics invariably prove more effective when indulged under the stimulating influence of the shouts of the Mancunians. However, it is certain that Newton Heath were the cleverer team during the first half, and that Everton could not get into a good stride, being for some considerable time in a minority by a goal. Afterwards, skill asserted itself over resolute dash, and Everton came up on level terms. With the score standing at a goal each, Mr. Fitzroy Norris promptly and properly put stop to the game, for the sufficient reason that he could not see the ball clearly, and therefore could not arbitrate with credit to himself. The match, of course, will not count as a League content, for the rules stipulate that full time must be utilised. The League Association will no doubt reprove the Newton Heath Club for deferring the kick off so long as to run the risk of being “benighted” for it is a serious matter to have to go through the ordeal of replying these hard and momentous games when the dates have been already allotted to other important fixtures. Nothing but fog or arctic weather should be permitted so interrupt the due observance of League engagements. On Saturday Everton were visited by their old rivals Aston Villa and bearing in mind the persistency with which rain fell before and during the play, the large company that assembled at Goodison Park testified to the popularity of the principals in the combat. The attendance would be about 15,000 for the “gate” receipts amounted to over £300. And the game proved ample compensation for the risks and discomfort attending a “wetting.” By-the-bye, the Everton executive are fully alive to the necessity of affording as much covering as practicable to patrons in wet and cold windy weather, and it was observed on Saturday that the work of roofing the end stands and frontage of the reserved stand was in course of progress. When these improvements are complete, spectators will be enable to enjoy their sport without much anxiety of the consequences, be the weather never so unpropitious. To return to the play, Aston Villa had beaten Everton three weeks previously by 4 goals to 1, and there was thus the impetus born of a spirit of revenge to urge Everton to bring out all the resources they could command, in order to wipe out the black spot on their escutcheon. The teams compared with the first match varied somewhat. Everton made but one change –Robertson vice-Kelso –whilst Aston Villa displaced Ramsay. Dowds and Fleming in favour of Evans (back), G. Campbell (half-back) and A. Brown (forward). The game was slightly to the advantage of Everton during the first half, but greatly to their credit in the second stage. Still, so brilliant were the defensive tactics of Evans and Dunning in particular, with grand half-backs assistance from Cowan, that though they combined almost perfectly, and shot often and generally in the desired direction, only once could Everton score, a point that was the solo product of the splendid contest, and demonstrated how hard League games are to win. The home team gave one of their best displays and there seemed no man who did not excel, even Jardine making no slip, though he was crippled at the outset. Howarth delighted everyone in striking what was feared with him a lost chord, and Collins was every bit as serviceable. Each of the half-backs played the correct game, and the forwards responded splendidly, the only note of discord perceptible being Latta's lack of precision at times. The team stayed to a man. Aston Villa started quite as well as Everton, but the forwards could do little later until close on the finish, when they were certainly dangerous.


October 3, 1892 the Liverpool Mercury

This return match,, the prevoius game having been won by Aston Villa with the score of 4 goals to 1. Was played at Goodison Park on Saturday, and excited great interst for though, the weather was not wet in the extreme, the attendance numbered 15,000.the teams were:- Everton, Jardine, goals, Howarth (captain), and Collins backs, Boyle, Holt and Robertson half-backs, Latta, Maxwell Geary, Chadwick and Milward, forwards. Aston Villa, Dunning, goal Stokes and Evans Backs, Brown (j), Cowan and Campbell (g), half-backs, Athersmith, Brown (a), Devey, Hodgett, and Campbell (l) forwards. Everton went well away from their kick off and attacked in earnest. Evans prevented a shot from Maxwell taking the intended course, but no clearance was effected, and soon Milward was almost in when close to the near post, but found Dunning just too quick for him. Aston Villa then got under weigh in a lively movement passing neatly and Devey shot correctly. This brought Jardine out, who is playing the ball wrenched his lately injured knee, and was temporaily disabled. The accident, of course dinned the prospects of Everton emerging from the contest successfully, as though Jardine held to his post, he could only limp about. On resuming. Everton moved down in capital style to the face of goal, when Milward essayed a good shot, but which Dunning saved from going through. Play was not allowed to settle in either quarter. Aston Villa next beat Jardine,, but the point was an irregular one, and mainly owing to brilliant play by the Everton half-backs the home tean again attacked Geary sprinting, but the shot from the right going the wrong side of the post. This run of the play continued to be of a most,, even and exciting character, the passing and tackling of each team being excellent. Notwithstanding the slippert state of the turf from the rain which fell. Jardine cleared an ugly one with his hands whilst Maxwell replied at the other end, but being challenged by Evans as constrained to shoot to high. The visitors vainly tried to get within range, but were hampered by the backs, both Howarth and Collins being evidently in spendid form, and it was well they were so, for Jardine in his grippled state, could not be expectedto face successfully a frequency of shots. Everton now attacked with more persistence on Robertson despoiling the play of Athersmith and A Brown. A move was initated by the home right wing, but this was neutralised by G Campbell and Evans. Geary, however, could not be held in check, and he let fly with a terrific shot, but which Dunning helped by his height, was just able to punch over the bar. During the pressure a free kick at a handy spot fell to Everton without an avail, and in a few minutes Everton were themselves thrown hard on the defence, and had to concede a corner. Aston Villa confined play for some minutes to the home quarters during which a long shot by Stokes caused Jardine to give a second corner. This the custodian parried and the ball travelled quickly down the Everton right wing, the spirt being finished off by a very low shot by Latta. Each set of defenders was requistioned, but near half-time Everton were very threatening. Dunning kept out one or two shots, but let one through from Milward,. This was of no consequence however, for Milward was rightly adjudged to have been offside. With the home team pressing, the interval arrived with nothing scored. Everton after the welcomed rest, for the pace had been cracker so far, went straight for goal, in a most menacing manner. Milward had a chance, but aside, and was again a little astray when a second opportunity quickly came his way. Geary next tried his shooting power, but found Dunning in the way, as did Maxwell, the latter putting into the custodians hand. Aston villa relieved the pressure somewhat, but could not get beyond the Everton half-backs, and were soon in trouble again, when Geary was far to shyward. A foul against the visitors when defending hard was no assitance to Everton. Cowan interpassing it was only now and then that the villians could cross the half line but though Everton attacked strongly, passing and shooting accurately the defence of Evans and Stokes, especially the former, was so clean and fearless, that Dunning was nearly always shieded.. for a considerable time, Latta was at this juncture conspicuous for strong play, but no two successive occasions he failed woefully with his sscrewing shots. When a cleanance was at length made, the Villa forced a couple of corners and these having been readly neitralized Latta had a further shot, but was once more at fault. Then came the long wished for a goal, as Maxwell receiving a pass brushed Evans aside and scooped the ball through. There was a quarter of an hour yet to run qwhen the point at length rewarded the efforts of Everton the advantage gained evoking a most enthusiastic demonstration. Everton subsequently were often adding to their score, but were repelled magnificently and in turn had an anxiuos time of it, as during the last few minutes the visitors were menacing. The defence was all right, however, and with players in Everton quarters the whistle sounded, to the relief of Evertonians to terminate a spendid contest and to heraid a victory of a goal to nil for Everton.



October 3, 1892

Everton 1, Aston Villa 0

At Everton, before 15,000 spectators. Everton were seen to great advantage for the first ten minutes, and their quick and effective passing completely upset the Villa halves and backs, but, fortunately for the Birmingham club, Dunning was in grand form, and kept his goal intact. A brief attack by the Villa caused the home supporters some anxiety, for Devey and his right were very smart in their tactics and before the attack was finished Jardine had to save a splendid shot from Cowan. Despite the rain, which fell heavily, the play was fast and accurate, and on the whole fairly even. The game was full of exciting incidents, and although Everton could claim a little advantage so far as passing went, the Villa were so true in their shots when they got down that there was nothing lost. Presently the venue of the game changed to the Everton end, but the home defence was good. Again Everton took up an aggressive attitude, but before the interval the visitors rallied, and play was even. At half-time there had been nothing scored. The play for a long time was in the Villa half, where Geary shot twice over the bar. The visitors' halves played a grand game under severe pressure, and upset the intentions of the home forwards repeatedly. The defence was so good that Dunning was only once troubled. A burst away by the Villa right gave the defence breathing time; but they were soon busy again, and from a corner the Villa goal was somewhat luckily saved. The Villa forwards made two good attempts to gain a foothold in the Everton half, but good defence of Collins and Howarth prevailed. Eventually the Villa attacked persistently, but Jardine was only once troubled. Although the play of the forwards was not so correct, the game was always exciting, and after some midfied play Maxwell scored. The game continued to be keenly fought on both sides, the home forwards attacking with great spirit, and had not Evans and Stokes been in grand form Dunning would have been in difficulty several times. No further point was, however, made, and the visitors were thus beaten by the narrow majority of 1 goal to 0. Everton; Goal, Jardine; Howarth and Collins, backs; Boyle, Holt, and Robertson, half-backs; Latta, Maxwell, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Aston Villa; Goal; Dunning; backs; Stokes and Evans; Half-backs, G. Campbell, Cowan, and J. Brown; forwards. Athersmith, A. Brown, J. Devey, Hodgetts and Campbell.

October 3, 1892 The Liverpool Mercury
On the ground of the former. During the first half of the game both sets of forwards played up grandly, but at the interval no score had taken place. Afterwards, however the defences were not so insuperable, as Everton scored three times and Dresden once.

“Behold Goodison Park. The half-dozen pictures we give of this splendid enclosure must serve instead of a long description of it. In any case to substitute pictures for words is our mission in journalistic life. At the same time no single picture could take in the entire scene the ground presents; it so magnificently large, for it rivals the greater American baseball pitches. On three sides of the field of play there are tall covered stands and on the fourth side the ground has been so banked up with thousands of loads of cinders that a complete view of the game can be had from any portion. “The spectators are divided from the playing piece by a neat, low boarding and the touch-line is far enough from it to prevent those accidents which used to be predicted at Anfield Road, but never happened. In the centre of the banked-up portion, but set against the walling of the ground is the secretary’s office where Mr. Molyneux can sit ether to write out cheques in his easy chair or keep his eye on the uttermost extent of his vast dominions. The chairman (Mr. George Mahon) when play 1s on is accommodated exactly opposite and under his seat which is in the centre of the large stand, is a door leading to a passage and this is the handy way the players and referee in when the game is over, and at all events the latter personage can bid defiance to the angriest crowd. This is superfluous however, as Goodison Park spectators never throw missiles at the referee, for there is no better disposed crowd in the kingdom.
What, No Body Servant?
Inside the room, the scene is as shown in our pictures, the bathroom are models of comfort and convenience. Each of the two-rooms (one for visitors and one for the home team) contains a large double bath, not with shallow, but with perpendicular sides. The latest patent in gas water-heaters is shown at the end by the window with the marble hand-washing bowls at the side of it. The floor is a trellis work of planed boards, arranged so as to give the maximum of comfort to the feet. The gas backets are set off with opaque globes, which add a warm and pleasing softness to the scene; and even the shades above are of latest pattern. Tubbing being over the player passes through to the adjoining dressing room which is which is large enough to give even the stoutes full back all the elbow room he needs –and more. The seats are inclined to that comfortable hollow which induces you to sit a little longer than is absolutely necessary; even the pegs for your clothes are of an attractive design and there is a kind of raised platform on which your body servant if you have one, can give you a rub-down.
As shown in our drawing, there is a room again beyond this which can best be described as the place for “finishing touches.” The referee has already been mentioned but a glance at the view of his room will show how he is provided for. It seems almost a pity there is not chance of a collar Rugby game on the ground for the room would stand a large amount of bombardment! But there are even further attractions for the august personage, for if he opens the outer door which is the middle one shown on the back of the entire stand he is face to face with the pretty girl who sells hot drinks. The stairs also shown in the same view lead exclusively to the Press stand and therefore the convenient way a busy reporter can run out with an urgent message is self-evident. “Truly we might spare pages over this modern arena but space forbids. Suffice it, however, to remark an inspection of the strong and substantial foundations alone shows how carefully the whole has been planned and if it only cost £3,000, it is £3,000 well spent and Mr. Prescott, the architect himself a worthy footballer once by the way) and Messrs Kelly Brothers the contractors may take all the credit for it they deserve. But the noble ground was not made with the simple wave of a magician’s wand. It is the outcome of much thought and study and Mr. Mahon and the many willing co-workers he had can now look upon the result of their efforts with the utmost pride.”


October 6, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

A match between these clubs will be played at Goodison Park today, commencing at 4-30 p.m. The band from the Boys Orphange will play selections of music before and during the match. The following is the Everton team; Murray, goal; Howarth, and Collins, backs; Boyle, Holt, and Robertson, half-backs; Latta, Maxwell, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.



October 7 1892,, The Liverpool Mercury

The weather was again on the bad behaviour yesterday,, but despital a steady drizzling rain the attendance at Goodison Park to withness one of the most popular of the home team's fixtures compared the Everton club is atttraoting to the new home, and it speaks volumes for the enthunisum of the Liverpoolians that a crowd of something like 11,000 persons can be secured on a week night to withness a friendly fixture. The home eleven were the first to put in an appearance and were followed almost immediately by the Queen's park , the celebrated ‘'spiders'' coming for quite an ovation. The teams were as follows:- Everton, Murray, goal Howarth (captain) and Collins backs, Boyle Holt, and Robertson, half-backs, Latta, Maxwell, Geary, Chadwick and Milward, forwards. Queen's Park:- Baird, goal, Sillers (d), and Freeman backs Gilliespie, Robertson and Stewart half-backs, Lambie Waddell Hamilton, , Martin, and Sellars (W), forwards. For the list it will be seem that Everton tried Murray vice-Jardine. While nthe Queens's were without Smellie and Brand, the absence of the latter causing a reararangement of the fronk rank, and making a place for Martin, a young player from the Minerra club. Everton won the toss, and the Scots, kicking off, at once bore down on Jardine understudy. The players seemed to get into their stride during the next minutes, and the play attained a pitch of perfection such as has not been withnessed on the ground previously. Spendid tackling and placing by the stropes gave the Evertonians cause for anxiety and Latta relieved and dashed away in characteristic fashion, only to meet some warm tackling on the part of Freeland, which caused him to finish badly. Once in the vicinity of the Q.P. goal however the Everton front line tooka lot of beating off and Baird received a couple of awkward handfuls. They found him all there, and after this bit of pressure W Sellars got away with a single-handed effort, which fairly made the rafters ring, the leather being just scooped past the upright, following this Murray was fairly peppered, but wittout result, and then Holt placed his men in possession. The pace slackened now, and then Milward all but got home with one of his electric shots, Everton became the aggressors, and Latta shaped bably at a chance while Geary did ditto almost immediately, only to let the Queen's front line break away to the other end. Here a corner kick was gained and well placed,, and for a minute the Everton goal was in jeopardy. Collins cleared, only to have his effort returned by the opposing halves, but by dint of hard work the other end was reached, where Sillors becamr prominent with excellent saves. Milward got nicely placed but before he could shoot, Gillespie banged him against the barricade. From a free-kick against Sillers a good opening was lost, the same fate attending a couple of wretchedly placed corners. Hamilton shot badly, and then Murray came through a most trying ordeal in covering a mistake from Dicky Boyle right in the goal mouth. This was follwed by a free-kick to the Queen's and after a most exciting period Sellar's ahot against the upright. The game still continued as brilliant as in the opening stages, and at half-time the teams crossed over without a point being scored. The opening stages of the second half ruled even, until Milward just missed the upright with a beauty. As per usual the stripes made headway after this escape, and off-side stopped Lambie as he was in a rare position. At this jucture Gillespie and Robertson collided, and a truce had to be called, and the burly Evertonians could resume. A foul against the Scots followed the toss up of the ball and again the Blues made tracks in the direction of Baird only to be pulled up short and they reached him. Sillers and his halves proving analmost impassable barrier. Tall kicking now followed on both sides, and Latta placed Maxwell in charge only to see that player shoot yards above the crossbar. The ‘'spiders'' were soon again in evidence, and this time Lambie wove his way round Robertson and Collins to some purpose, as he beat Murray with a grounder amid loud cheers. This reverse led up to the most brilliant football of the entire game, and the spectators were fairly kept on the tiptoe of ecpectancy so bold a front did the Queen's show. At last the Blues had a turn and Latta went off for all he was worth. Freeland was successfully mastered and the other Q.P. backs negotiated the pass badly with the result that a desperate scrimmage was formed in front of Baird the ecitement culminating in a mighty cheer when Geary planked the ball safely beyond the cuistodian's reach. The Everton boys were now in the best of feather with themselves, and for the next few minutes fairly made rings round the Queen's goal. Lambie relieved with a short run, but the blues came again, and Chadwick again fairly brought down the house by placing his team on the lead. The game seemed all over bar the shouting now, from an Everton point of view but a contingent of faithfully followers still cheered on the ‘'spiders'' presently some powerful tackliong by Tom Robinson let Lambie and Waddell away. Collins pulled them up, but a throw in was grained close up, followed by a swinging shot across the Everton goal to the left where Sellars came in with a rush and, brushing aside all opposition placed the ball safety in the net, amid a rousing cheer. But little time wasa now left, but eventhese few minutes were desperately fought out. Lambie was only collared by Howarth after all the others had failed, and from a lofty lounge Baird saved miraculously the whistle blowing amid great excitement, and the players being warmly cheered as they left the field the score reading Everton 2 goals, Queen's Park 2.



October 8, 1892, The Liverpool Mercury

The visit of the League champions on Saturday, at Goodison Park proved a great attraction and thought the weather was wretched a number of 18,00o to 20,000 being present, the covered stands being crowed . the spectators owing to the three great stands being now covered, did not experience much unpleasentness when oncesettled in the enclosure, but the rain had made the ground slippery and heavy going. And the names whom follows, this had unpleasant conditions to contest against. Everton, Pinnell goal, Howarth, and Collins backs, Boyle, Holt and Robertson half-backs, Latta Maxwell, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards, Sunderland team:- Doig, goals, Porteous, and Smellie, backs, Wilson, Auld, and Gibson half-backs, Gillespie, Harvey Campbell, Miller and Hannah forwards. Mr John Lewis acted as Referee. The sun broke out brightly as Geary kick the ball in motion. It was passed to the left, and taken on by Chadwick who put across, but pass to Maxwell being badly utealised. Everton returned and Chadwick shot so puntedly that Doig conceded a corner. This was easily tided over and Sunderland initrated attack on their own account but the dashing movement was of no avail. As Hannah shot across the face of goal. Everton came out satisfactorily of midfield exchanges Howard making a capital save from Hannah. Latta then scrmbled along the wing, on receiving from Geary, and becoming threantening that Smelleygamely intercepted and unceremoniously kicked out. The game was most evenly fought for some minutes. Each side eccelied in passing, but not such as would scare the defenders, until Latta was agin seen striding it quickly and firmly, his centre beening neatly turned to good acount by Geary. Back went Everton in good line and again Geary was entrusted with the final touch of the movement, drawing Doig out to neutralise an oblique shot, which he did in a manner that assured Everton he would beover masted with much difficulty. Sunderland were enabled now to change the scene of interst, going forward on the left, but Hannan was too high with his hard shot. Everton went in rare fettlo so far, and did not permitt their quarters to be held with any persistency and renewed aggression, a fine joint run by Chadwick and Milward rasin much enthusuisan, especially when Chadwick caused a corner to be conceded. Latta quickly had an opportunity opened up to him, bit it was not to be, as he went yards of the mark. There badly appreciated chances no doubt induenced the issue. Sunderland gleefully learnt that shooting was not a strong point with Everton and then went down in nice formation tom give an successfully shot from a pass when the game had been in progess about 20 minutes, he beating Pinnell rathereasily. The advantage gained by Sunderland was cheered deservedly. Everton fully realised the serious turn of affairs for it was hard lines to be in a minority after having most of the play. They went at goal in earnest on restarting and pressed greatly. Latta first banged over the bar, to be followed by a more likely attempt by Maxwell but whose clever shot Doig punched aside,. Before many minutes had passed Sunderland forged further ahead, Wilson beating Pinnell from a long range. The home team looked greatfallen at this second disater but at once shook off feeling of despondency and for the next ten minutes returned to the attack frequently, but were generally erractic in their shots. Doig and his backs however, were as sound as a bell., and withstood all the ingenuity called up by Everton. Having held out, they were releived by a rush on the right whence Gillespie cooley added a third point for Sunderland. Everton were near scoring between now a nd half-time, but could not master the last line of defence, and at the interval were three goals to the bad. Rain fell heavily ere, a resumption took place and the ground became more sloppy than ever. Geary missed two fine chances during a pressure-put on by Everton, and them Gillespie essayed a magnicent run, leading up to a troublous time for Everton, but Holt ultimately cleared, and Geary had another wide-shie. Sunderland's next movement culminated in an-off-side goal, in reply to which Maxwell shot very creditably and so the game swayed first one side having a turn and then the other. There was no relaxing of energy especially on the part of Everton, but the heavy going became evident upon the players. The home team were to have yet another rebuff, as Campbell shot against the onside of the post, and the ball rebounded through. Everton got into a better formation towards the close, and Latta scored a beauty from a pass. They were very near once or twice more, but the efforts yoelded nothing and the hard fought game soon terminated in a clever win for Sunderland by 4 goals to 1.


October 8, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

The great event in the Association camp is the meeting of Sunderland and Everton this afternoon at Goodison Park, and the result will be looked for with national as well as local curiosity, for the sufficient reason that Sunderland, who were last year's champions, have not yet been defeated in a League match, the only check meted out being a draw imposed by Notts County. Everton have been seen in splendid form during their last few League matches, and again on Thursday, in making a draw with Queen's Park, and they will thus enter upon their present contest with enthusiasm and confidence, despite the formidable record of their undoubtedly clever opponents. They have too, a double reverse of last season to avenge, particularly that contretemps of Christmas Day, when, at Anfield Everton had the merriment of that festive time considerably toned down with a galling defeat of 4 goals to nil. Now is the time for erasing the black mark; and if the home team sustain the skill and staying powers seen in their recent play, they should just about win.

Everton v Sunderland, Goodison Park, Kick-off at four pm. The following will play for Everton; Pinell, goal; Howarth and Collins, backs; Boyle, Holt, and Robertson, half-backs; Latta, Maxwell, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.

Chirk v Everton, Chirk, combination.



October 10, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

In our own district Associastionists have been enjoying a real good time of it of late – a sport of football baguette, in fact, at which all the choicest tit-bits of the great winter game have been served up in rare-style, Goodison Park being the venue, and the catering divided between Everton, Aston Villa, Queen's Park, and last, but no least, Sunderland. Liverpoolians have shown their appreciation of the bill of fare by rolling up in their thousands – hail, rain, fair, or shine –until the Everton money-bags must have reached bulkiness never before witnessed. Thursday evening's match, despite the adverse conditions under which it was fought out, was perhaps as brilliant an exposition as will be seen here this season, and terminated in a fitting manner. It also served to show that the famous Queen's Park club are stronger this season than they have been for some time –that they are going as well as in their most palmy days. Baird played up to the great reputation he has attained across the border, while Donald Sillers performed well, as one would expect the skipper of such a team to play. Once or twice, when Everton looked particularly dangerous, there seemed to be an-entire eleven of him dashing about in front. Freeland hung on to Latta like a “buir.” The Halves came out in great form. All are three powerfully-built men, who know every inch of the game, and can play it. The re-arrangement of the forward line did not seem to affect the combination one whit. But if W. Sellars and Lambie can put in any more work when together than they did when separated, then that wing will want more stopping than most defences can give them. Martin might have been a veteran to judge by his play, while Hamilton and Waddell were always busy. Evertonians must have been delighted with the display of their team, and there can be no mistake about the fine condition the home players are in at present. Every man was working as if success depended upon his efforts and all combined to give one of those exhibitions of football art which have helped to fill all opponents with a wholesome respect for the name of Everton.

Sunderland, League champions of last year – who, since they have not been beaten so far, are qualifying for retention of the cup, and who came flushed with a significant victory at Glasgow on Thursday over Celtic –were welcomed as men of great parts should be at Goodison Park on Saturday. It was an uninviting day as regards weather, as most days have been of late, but this did not deter spectators from paying their respects to the champions, with the reasonable expectation of a grand contest, and thus it came about that one of the largest – probably the largest – concourses of the public at a Liverpool football match, assembled at the Everton Club's new and commodious headquarters. With such repellent, perhaps no other town in England could have furnished so large a company at a club match; but Liverpoolians are more fortunate than other people, for thanks to the enterprise and consideration of the Everton executive, three sides of the ground are undercover, and patrons can now indulge in their fascinating afternoon's recreation in comfort, be the weather what it may. The ground of course, was saturated almost to flooding, owing to the heavy rains, and the footing of the players rendered heavy and laborious, an impediment which militated against the continuity of skilful and speedy play. Everton opened full of promise, and seemed from the start to have taken the measure of their doughty opponents; but, if they attacked more frequently, they were not so emphatic in the moment of opportunity, and whereas Sunderland rarely missed the target they were aiming at. Everton seldom put within the four corners of it. The attacks were equally taken up, but, owing to greater precision and sounder defence, Sunderland fully merited the three goals by which they led at the interval. The position then held by the Wearsiders was practically unassailable, but Everton never gave in, and trying pluckily to improve their position they had perhaps rather more of the play afterwards than Sunderland, the producer of the stern and exacting work of the second half being a goal each, which gave Sunderland a victory of 4 goals to 1. This is only a slight improvement, from an Evertonian point of view, to that of Christmas Day last, when the men from Wearside won by 4 goals to nil. It will be generally admitted that the better team won on Saturday. They proved to be a sturdy, hardy, speedy set of men, and, presenting no dominating department, worked with charming cohesion, with every man in position, and each seeming to riddle the intentions of a colleague. They tackled well, they ran well, they passed well, and they shot well – in short, had a shade the pull over Everton in each department; and so it is not fair to blame anyone in particular of the home team. Pinnell, hardly came up to expectations, he relying upon his kicking too much; the backs succumbed to heavier duties than they had in the Aston Villa match, the halves encountered slightly their superiors in Wilson, Auld and Gibson, and the forwards compared unfavourably with their opposing van in passing and shooting. But still Everton were smart enough to bring into play all the resources of the winners.



October 10, 1892. The Yorkshire Herald

These clubs met at Newton Heath yesterday before a fairly good attendance. The home team, aided by a strong wind, had the best of the opening play, and after some hard lines they rushed the ball through. Newton Heath had much the best of the game and when half-time arrived the score was; Newton Heath, 1 goal; Everton nil. On resuming, after Newton had almost scored, Geary put in a low shot which equalised. About ten minutes off time the game was stopped owing to darkness, the score being; Everton, 1 goal; Newton Heath, 1 goal.


October 10 1892 The Liverpool Mercury.

At chir. In ten minutes Gordon scored from a corner, for Everton. The play was most intersting. Everton having a shade the best of the game half-time Chirk onil, Everton 1 goal. Everton added 2 goals immediately after thr restart from Murray (2). Everton, Thomas goal, Chadwick and Coyle, backs, Jamieson, Jones, and McLaren half-backs, Smith Murray McMillan, Elliott and Gordon forwards. Chirk team, Morris goal, Postle, and Taylor, backs, Williams Evans, and Lloyd half-backs Owen (w), Merdith,, Owen (g), James, and Butler forwards. Place, 1 st played 6, won 6 lost 0, drew 0, for 39, for 5, points 12


October 10, 1892. The Liverpool Courier

The match at Goodison-park on Saturday was generally regarded as the most dangerous in which the Evertonians have to take part on their own ground. Although rain was falling lightly, the sun shone brilliantly when the game commenced at four o'clock in the presence of fourteen thousands spectators. Sunderland were fully represented but Everton were handicapped by the absence of Jardine. Everton having lost the toss, Geary kicked off, and a raid was immediately made upon the Sunderland quarters, the defence at the very outset being severely taxed. Early in the game Missed a chance of scoring from a fine pass by Chadwick, and the visitors soon afterwards began to make tracks to the other end, Howarth in particular distinguishing himself by his fine defensive tactics. Play continued for some time in midfield. Then the Sunderland forwards darted away at rare speed to the other end, and after harassing the Everton defenders for a time, Gillespie as the result of a fine bit of play on the part of Campbell, scored the first goal for the visitors, Pinnell having no chance of saving his charge. Everton were evidently undaunted by this reverse and they assailed the Sunderland goal with great vigour, Geary sending in a splendid shot which Doig cleverly stopped. Latta gained possession, and had a capital chance of scoring, but shot wide. Immediately afterwards Pinnell saved a shot from Hannah in fine style. After a further period of play round Pinnell, the Everton forwards broke away and Doig was called upon to fist out a shot from Maxwell. The visitors soon returned to the other end, and a second goal was at last scored from a long shot by Wilson, Pinnell fumbling the ball as it went into the net, Campbell next gave Pinnell a difficult handful to negotiate, and for some minutes there was a complete bombardment of the Everton goal, the visitors distinguished themselves by some grand forward tactics. A temporary break away to the other end only tested a few moments, and then the Sunderland forwards returned irresistibly to the charge, Campbell sending in a splendid shot, which Pinnell just managed to throw out a few yards, and Gillespie rushing up easily put it through, thus scoring the third goal for the visitors. Half-time result-Sunderland 3 goals; Everton, nil. During the interval a terrific shower of rain fell, the players temporarily retiring to the shelter of the pavilion. Here the rain had creased the players had resumed their positions on the field, and Everton were soon in their opponents' quarters. Milward furnished Geary with a good chance of shooting, but he sent the ball over. Still Everton pressed, and Geary had another rare opening, but again his shot went altogether wide of the mark. The pace had now become much slower, Sunderland taking things much easier than in the first half, while the Everton men were playing more erratically than before. Wilson was cheered for some splendid half-back play, repeatedly robbing Milward, and Chadwick when they seemed at all dangerous. Collns caused some merriment and draw down upon himself a reprimand from the referee for making the ball when it had gone out of play and throwing it at Harvey's head. A quarter of an hour from the end Sunderland scored their fourth point through Miller, Pinnell handling the ball in its progress. Just before the finish Milward and Chadwick initiated a grand run, and as the result of it Latta scored for Everton amidst tremendous cheering. From this point right up to the finish Everton pressed, but were unable to add further to their score. Final; result;- Sunderland 4, goals; Everton, 1 goal. From a statement to hand the full attendance is given as 26,000 persons, and the gate money £550.



October 11, 1892. The Liverpool Courier

To the Editor of the Liverpool Courier

Sir –Whilst the Everton Football Club are improving their new ground, would it not be advisable for them to have some regard to the safety of the thousands who occupy the stands while watching the matches? I had what might have been a very serious experience on Saturday last. Whenever a struggle occurred in front of the Mere Lane goal the spectators at the back of the stand invariably pressed forward, with the result that those on the lower steps had to give way. Several ugly rushes were brought about in this way, during one of which the writer was knocked down, and but for timely assistances and the alarm a “man underneath” disaster would certainly have resulted. Is it not possible to put a rail of scantling in front of each tier so that the people at the back will not press on those in front? Perhaps there is not a better ground than that of the Everton Football Club in the Country, and it is a pity that it should not be made perfection itself by means of a little further outlay. –Yours, &c, R.J.W. October 10, 1892.


October 12, 1892. The Liverpool Courier

We are informed that the exact account taken at Goodison Park last Saturday on the occasion of the League match between Everton and Sunderland was £547, the attendance numbering 23,000 persons. One remarkable feature of the match was that no fewer than 2,000 boys, admitted at 2d a head, were present, while there were about 1,500 free admissions, including season tickets holders and others.


October 15, 1892. The Liverpool Football Club

Remarkable Increase Gate

When the Everton Football Club part company with the ground at Anfield and threw off shackles forged by the old committee, it was said by the supports of the latter that the club was doomed but the new management of the Everton F.C. knew much about football as football knows about them, that the Liverpool public were not founding at large and therefore not patronise the new ground at Goodison road but struck to the old love at Anfield road and the Sandon that consequently that this meant bankruptcy and ruin for those who had oppose the old club and so on. That this black prognostication has not befallen the present Everton Committee and the Club up to now will be gathered from a few figures and facts we are able to quote, and which will be thoroughly appreciated by those who have followed the old club in the ups and downs. The directors through their gross ignoring and good management have created a waste land into one of the finest athletic grounds in the country, and this since the close of last season, and have thus considerably enhanced the value of much of the adjacent property; by their businesslike mode of procedure they have also provided comfortable accommodation for those who visit the ground –good stands and shelter from bad weather, and so forth. True, the ground has not yet been roofed over the rainbow-coloured glass, nor carpeted with velvet pale; neither have spring-seated lounges with Edison's Latest patents, smoking saloons (with Cope's best cut and church wardens ad lib, thrown in), free-and-easy (with Patti and Santley for songsters) billiard and card tables (with the latest rules for plucking pigeons and beer-engines to supply “Beacon” refreshers, yet been created; but these necessary accessories to future football at Goodison-Park will be carefully provided and looked after when the present executive have learnt sense and have no further need to provide football for their patrons. At present, however, Goodison Park is going “great guns,” as will be gathered from the subjoined figures (which are also facts). Compared with what was done at the old ground, when the takings at the “gate” were the envy of the whole of the League, the good for nothing who removed from Anfield road to Goodison-road are to be congratulated. In this case comparison is not odious. Facts are facts. Read and compare, and then say whether the present directors of the Everton club are failures. The visit of Preston North End to the old Everton enclosure in 1890 will not yet be forgotten, though we forbear to mention the goal struggle here. The gate then yielded £489, the best on record in the history of the Everton Club up to last Saturday, when these figures were beaten by £60. The following are authentic returns for the Everton ground, and, as taking at the gate, compare with last season and this;-

1891 1892

Sunderland *£378 00 £347

Aston Villa £162 00 £ 305

Notts Forest £436 00 £325

Newton Heath £418 00 £211

£591 £1,386

Played at Christmas Day *Not then in the League. The actual number who payed for admission last week was 23,000. The gross amount of gate up to Oct 8 (Last Saturday) reached £1,968 11s 2d, or about two-fifths of last season's receipts.


October 15, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park, Everton combination, still unbeaten, have clever opponents in Dresden United, a Potteries club, which Everton defeated on the 1 st instant by 3 goals to 1. The band from the Boys Orphanage will play the following selection of music on the Everton ground;- March, “Killaloe,” Mellur, Fantasia “I11 Trovatore,” ; Verdi; Valse; “Little Huntsman,” Otto Roeder; Polka; March, “Trafalgar,” Clucas.

Everton v West Bromwich Albion, West Bromwich, kick-off at three p.m. The Following will play for Everton; Thomas; goal; Howarth, and Collins, backs; Boyle, Holt, and Robertson, half-backs; Latta, Geary, Maxwell, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.

Everton v Dresden United, Goodison Park, Kick-off at 3-30 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Murray, goal; Dewar and Taylor, backs; McLaren, Jones, and Stewart, half-backs; Gordon, J. Murray, Pinnell, McMillian, and Elliott, forwards.



October 17, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Another disaster has to be recorded of the Everton team, which, though not altogether unforeseen, will cause much disappointment among their host of supporters. In attacking West Bromwich Albion they had a most formidable task under any circumstances, but the difficulties of the situation were aggravated on Saturday by the necessity of again having to experiment in the matter of goalkeeping, added to which the ground of the Albion club, where the match was fought out, is of a sloping character, which must give the home team, to whom its irregularities are familiar a district advantage. These are palliations, but not justifying excuses, for Everton's latest failure. West Bromwich Albion possess a good team – perhaps as clever now as ever in the past –and it is a club with a noble history, as their position of English cup holders for the second time demonstrates. They have also done well in the League this year, having lost but one match (Bolton Wanderers, at Pike Lane), drawn with Newton Heath and Derby County, and beaten Wolverhampton Wanderers, Aston Villa, and Newton Heath (the latter away at Manchester), whilst lastly they have defeated Everton pointless. The aspect of the game presented the now familiar feature of Everton attacking the more frequently, and in this manner marking time whilst their opponents made successful if more infrequent raids on goal. The play during the first half was most interesting, and so good account of themselves had the several departments given that defeat to Everton at the interval seemed very improbable. But there was one phrase of the tactics of the Albionites evident during the initial period that should have prepared spectators for the denouement. This was the unmistakeable proof that Bassett on the outside right was in magnificent form, and had a responsive colleague in McLeod. The runs on this wing were always strong and generally menacing, but Robertson, Collins, and Howarth were severally in turn, or collectively, capable of neutralising the sturdy efforts during the first half. But it was when assisted by the slope that Bassett became master of the situation. He would know no denial in his powerful sprints, and, not attempting to score himself, invariably parted with the ball at a fixed certain spot, then to drive across in a slanting direction to the left, and leave the issue to one or other of his four colleagues who should first get at the sphere to divert it into goal. This was practically the one string on which West Bromwich played, and it proved sufficient. The three goals were all scored from the same kind of movement, and it was thus somewhat an individual success for Bassett, though there were many other bright, particular stars in the team, more especially Nicholson (back) Groves and Reynolds (outside half-backs) and McLeod, Pearson, and Wood, the latter, through an emergency man in place of Geddes, showing good promise on the outside left. Everton were all right at back, and also with Holt and Boyle, but Robertson could shine but little in opposition to Bassett. The left wing were in the way of the bulk of the attack, and did it very well, though they had often to strike their flag to Nicholson. Maxwell made a moderate centre, and Geary, who was not in good health, was only capable of mastering Groves occasionally, despite the yeoman work of Latta, who, however, was still at fault in his screwing shots. Thomas shaped as something of a novice, being naturally a little nervous, but he was not a complete failure, and bring of a firm build, should turn out a good custodian with experience. But whilst the grass is growing the steed is starving. Further, the forwards are not scoring goals. This is not the result of the ill-luck of Everton in having no less than three goalkeepers disabled. It is a serious fact that Everton have lost their charm in goal-getting. They have now more goals scored against them than they have made themselves in the League; and it would see that some drastic change must be effected in the vanguard and that without much further delay. On Wednesday, Newton heath are visited for the purpose of replaying their League match –a task not to be lightly undertaken in the full view of Newton Heath 10 goals to 1 victory Saturday over the “Wolves.”



October 17, 1892. The Yorkshire Herald

These clubs met on the ground of the latter. The commencement of the match showed that each club was in earnest, and the play became very fast, and continued till half-time, when no score had been affected. But the deciding portion quickly showed the merits of the visitors, as Wood scored and Pearson had two placed to his credit, the homesters having to acknowledge defeat. Score:- West Bromwich Albion, three goals, Everton nil.


October 17, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton paid their annual League visit to West Bromwich Albion on Saturday, where the weather was fair, though dull and threatening. A good attendance as things go at Stoney Lane was assoicated with the match numbering about 5,000, who withnessed a well contested game. Neither club was represented in the fullest strength. The Albion being with out Geddes (Hurt at Newton Heath last week), whose place was fill by H wood, , local youth whilst Everton gave Thomas a trial in goal. Jardine still unfig for duty the teams thus were composed of the Following :- Everton, Thomas (debut), goal, Howarth (captain) and Collins backs, Boyle Holt and Robertson half-backs, Latta Geary Maxwell, Chadwick and Milward forwards. West Bromwich Ablion:- Reader goals, Nicholson and McCulloch, backs Reynolds, Perry and Groves, half-backs, Barrett, McLeod, Bostock Pearson and Wood (h), forwards. After some minutes delay, owing to the tardy appearance of the referee, the home team kicked off up the slight hill but Everton went away with a bound and Geary had a chance. He slipped in the act of shooting, the ground being soft in front of the lower goal, and chance the first passed unprofited. The home defenders could not clear, howver, and Milward also did in eassying a shot of inaccuracy. Basset now got the ball at his toe and ran up grandly, finishing with a spendid centre which proved nearly fatal, and would have done had not Howarth rushed in at a moment of indesion by Thomas and taken the sphere virtually out of the mouth of goal. Everton surviving this bit of anxienty moved down in compact formation and to Latta fell the finishing touch, which was to bang among the people behind the goal line. The Albion came out strongly on the right wing Bassett served by Nicholson and Reynolds, and supported by McLeod, running close up two or three times and always getting in a shot being combated. This caused the Everton defenders to be on the rescue, and both Collins and Howarth were safe the latter especially neutralising dangerous thrusts. The home team continued aggressive the Everton half-backs being unable at this period to break up the Albion's combination, and the ball was returned from the mid-line to the direction of Thomas charge readily but the only ominous shot, so smart were Howarth and Collins, was one from Pearson who put narrowly over the bar with an oblique aim. Holding out thus manfully Everton assumed the attack on the left, but Milward, when about to shoot from a hardy position was tripped by Nicholson who was penalised. The free kick gave little trouble to the home defenders but in a few minutes Milward took spendid aim, the custodain being just in time to fist aside. Everton continued to shape well in front of goal, working nicely together and shooting fairly: but the Albion were more slow in packing their goal, and by no means made many clever clearances and shielded Reader rather effectively whilst Chadwick and Latta went over with too high shooting. Holt got slightly hurt in a collison with Pearson, but was all right again by the time play reopened, by the ball being thrown up at about midfield, and soon cleverly nibbled Pearson, who had got the better of Howarth. The cup-holders were now well on the ball passing sharply and truly before the halves could tackle then but Howarth and Collins made no mistakes fortuanately and having cleared with some excellement kikcing were afforded a respite by their forwards, who bought much pressure on the home goal, but got only a couple of corners for the energy. A fine overhead kick by Reynolds put Bassett and McLeod in evidence, but Collins upset their reckoning, and Chadwick and Milward going onward compelled Nicholson to concede a further corner. In quick time Wood got in a likely shot at the other end, but Thomas was quite reliable, and put well away to the left. This was about the second time the Everton goalkeeper had been called upon which is supplementary testimony of the success of the backs. During a renewed attack Holt, taclked gamely and following a free-kick, Chadwick went wide at a long range. Holt again put his forwards in command, and Geary had three shies at goal, all good ones, the third hitting the bar and gilding over. Woods next had a fine chance from a free-kick as a penalty to Robertson for fouling Bassett. But missed the ball worthy., and just before the interavl which arrived with nothing scored. Latta was hit on the hands with the bouncing ball just when about to shoot at a conventent spot. The game had been capiltailoy contested so far, but on resuming the Abionites gave prompt and telling proof that they knew how to take full advantage of the slope. Bassett was simply irresisitible in hos grand turn of speed and quick long centring and the second half had been in existence but a minute and Bostock tested Thomas who put tamely to the left wher Wood was ready to drive in again and effectively. The home team were serve in a renewed onslaught but this time held the raiders in check until Geary strode off to find Groves to wily and another spell of defence fell upon Everton, which was well executed. Some good half-back work by the visitors, especially Boyle, enabled the visitors to scale the hill for the first time, when Milward experienced hard lines in being adudged off-side at a favourable montment a decision that was generally through to be erroneous. Everton however, were not to be easily dislodged from the attack though they were not very not very threatening. Latta shot to high-in this defence he is destined, unluckily, to be consitent-and then Bassett rounded off again, and centring at his custodian spot, the left wing put through, but were ruled off-side. This disappointing was speedily atoned for, as Bassett shot in once more and Pearson headed out of the reach of Thomas between the posts. This second goal was a fitting reward for maguficent play by Bassett, who again drove in from the wing in a sloping direction but three of his colleagues in turn missed the ball. Everton scampered away as far as the backs, and then had to accept a third reverse, as Wood beat Thomas. The outlook was now gloomy one for Everton. They had nearly half-hour in which to retrieve their position, and were almost continually in their oppionents quarters,, but they lacked vitality at the opportune moments, and shot with aggainting tameness. West Bromwich Albion accordingly won by 3 goals to nil.



October 17 1892 The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison road in wet weather Gordon scored for the home team, after 10 minutes play. The game then ruled pretty even. A protest was lodged against the state of the ground during the interval, Everton had all the best of the game, in the second half goals being scored by McMillan (2), Gordon, and smith, result Everton 5 goals dresden United nil

Everton team, Murray goal, Dewar (j), and taylor backs McLaren, Jones and Stewart half-backs, Gordon Murray (j), Pinnell, McMillan and Elliott forwards .


October 20, 1892. The Yorkshire Herald

This replayed match was decided at Newton Heath yesterday before 3,000 spectators. The ground was in bad condition, but the game was very fast. Latta scored for the visitors in the first five minutes, and he put on another soon after. Everton again scored, Latta being instrumental. Donaldson and Hood each scored for the home team. Half-time; Everton, 3 goals; Newton Heath, 2 goals. On resuming the home team made strenuous efforts to equalise, and from a shot by Perrins Farman banged it through. Just on time Latta scored a fourth goal, and though he was palpably off-side the point was allowed. Final score; Everton 4 goals, Newton Heath 3.



October 20 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

This replayed League fixture was brought off on the ground off the former club yesterday, afternoon in presence of between 3,000 and 4,000 spectators. The weather was not by any means favourable, while the ground presented a very unprepossessing aspect. The home team were with one exception –Mathieson vice Hendry-composed of the same players as rubbed it into the ‘'Wolves'' so unmercifully on Saturday, while Everton made rooms for three of the combination team. Prompt to time the folloing elevens lined up:- Everton, Robinson, goal, Howarth, (captain), and Collins, backs, Jameison, Elliott, and Boyle full backs, half-backs Latta, Gordon, Maxwell, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Newton Heath, Warmers goal, Mitchell and Clements, backs, Perrin Stewart, and Erants, half-backs, Farman, Hood, Donaldson Carson, and Mathieson, forwards., referee f norris soon set then going, and Everton at once made toward Warmer, and are many minutes, Chadwick had placed a couple of excellent judged corner-kicks without result. Donaldon broke away, but met with summary treatment from Elliott and howarth and a grand drive by Boyle gave Milward an opening which was left. The Heathens were by no means out of the wood yet, howver, and a clever sequence by the Everton front rank enable Latta to screw his first goal of the season, and put his team on the lead. This advantage the Blues seemed bent on retaining, as they set about the home defenders in rear style. Steady play by Stewart and Mitchell at length drove the attackers off and the Heathers got uncomfortably near Robertson when ‘'Hands'' pulled them up. A short break by Latta and Gordon was followed by a dash at Robertson. Who saved by falling on the ball and conceding a corner kick. From this the custodain had again to punt clear. The heavy ground in front of the goal upset the Everton front not a little, but they kept pegging away, and after a short cession of hostilities occassionwed by an injury to Maxwell-Chadwick presnted Warmer with a warm handful. The old ‘'Brum'' saved while on his knees, but only to see Latta fasten onto the leather and bang it past him, into the net. Rough and exciting play followed the second score for Everton, and after the railway men had made a good effect to get through, Latta shook himself clear and beat Warmer for the third time. Everything now pointed to a runaway victory for Everton, when one of those sudden onlooked for changes came overr the game. The rushing tactics of the Heathens at length bore friut, and from a desperate struggle in the goal, mouth Donaldson on at least got one safty home. This success was greeted with loud cheers, which were renewed a couple of minutes later when the Red ansd White came up with a headlong rush, and Hood beat Robinson, rather easily, thus altering the entire aspect of the play. Everton, in nowise disheartened were soon busy at the other end, and after Warmer had cleared with a swinging right-hander the half-time whistle sounded with the score Newton Heath 2 goals, Everton 3. Play in the second half, soon assumed a hammer-and-tongs description, and though Everton were the aggressors at first the Heathers were not long in getting up steam, and, once in front of Robertson, Donaldson let fly. The custodian fisted up in front of goal, and Farman coming with a rush from the right made the score 3 all. There could be no mistaking the determination of the home lot, to get on the lead at all hazards, and a minute later Hood hit the crossbar. The steady defence of Howarth and Collins did a lot to steady the Everton front rank, and they once more raised the siege round Warmer. Here a faulty kick by Clements caused the Newton heath custodian to throw out. Milward gained possession and experienced extremely hard lines with a raging shot which seemed to strike inside the crossbar and rebound. Fast play followed, and once Chadwick but got though. Then followed some exciting scenes round Robertson. The Heathens seemed to taily revel in the mud, and cheers on by their supporters, they swooped down past the Everton defenders, Robertson picked up and threw the leather up the field. Stewart returned, but the Evertonians again repeated the perforance while the attacking forces were swarning round him, and almost immdiately he had to punch a third shot away, this seemed to settle the changes of the Heatens and a clever concerted movement was made to the other end, only to find Warmer on the alert. So the game proceeded end to end rushes and long kicking being the order of the day until the last few minutes when from a scrimmage latta put his team on the lead wirth a smart heel shot. Off side was clamed unsuccessfully for the score, and the home team again attack in resolute style. The last minute or so was marred by some very unpleasnat incidents, but the Everton defence kept playing the ball, and when the whistle sounded. Newton Heath had to retire the losers of a must stubborn game, the final score reading- Newton Heath 3 goals Everton 4.


October 22 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Evertonians will be more reconciled to the outcome of the match at Stoney-lane, last Saturday. This afternoon Everton are at home at Goodison Park, and there meet Accrington, who, with the exception of last year, when they were beaten by 3 goals to nil, and had always run Everton closely at Anfield, and, though they never there won, they once made draw, and on the two other occasions were but a goal to the bad. They have lost three League matches this season, but last defeat was at Sunderland, where they scored 2 goals against 4; but they have beaten Sheffield Wednesday, and drawn with Blackburn Rovers Bolton Wanderers and Stoke. A close contest may be anticipated.

Everton v Accrington, Goodison Park, Kick-off at 3 p.m. The following will play for Everton; Murray; Howarth, and Collins, backs; Boyle, Holt, and Jamieson, half-backs; Gordon, Maxwell, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.



October 24, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton and Newton Heath settled their League differences, so far as this season is concerned, on Wednesday afternoon; last. As is well known the Newton heath ground and appurtenances can by no means considered. These defects however, will no doubt be rectified to the near future, and pluck and enterprise which, have enabled the Mancunians to attain a foothold in the League being surely equal to the task of providing an enclosure more suited to the requirements o the game, and more in keeping with the up-to-date appearance of other grounds. As to the game itself, the 3000 odd who attended had ample value for their money – if not an science, at least in excitement. At first it looked as though Everton would canter home anyhow, latta “piling on the agony” to the extent of 3 goals, but Donaldson brought his men along in grand style, and getting one from a rough and tumble in front of Robinson, and Hood obtaining a second. Everton had only a goal in hand when ends were changed. The heathens soon got down to business on resuming and Farman caused it to be anybody's game when he made the score equal. The concluding portion of the play was desperately fought one, but Everton finished up with the balance on the right side, Latta again doing the needful, and thus capturing whole four goals to himself. The kick and rush method of the Heathens is admirably adapted to their ground; and in Mitchell, Stewart, Hood and Donaldson they have four splendid players. The latter is sure to make a great name for himself yet –if he will only control his temper as well as he can the ball. The changes in the Everton team might almost be looked upon in the light of an improvement rather than an alteration, and the combination trio –Elliott, Jamieson, and Gordon –displayed excellent judgement in eschewing all ornamental and fancy work. They set then older hands a good example, with the result that Everton were more deadly in their attack and more vigorous in there outplay than has been generally the case previously.

Everton following immediately upon their significant success at Newton heath, would doubtless tackle Accrington on Saturday full of confidence in victory, a sentiment in which the majority of their supporters shared, but they were only capable of realising half their hopes, and had to accept a draw of a goal each. This is a disappointment, which is intensited when it is remembered that for half the time the match was in progress Accrington had but ten men. H. Lea the centre half-back, having had to retire through injury. The visitors depended upon the same team which did very well against Sunderland the week previously; but for all that Everton always, even during the first half when the sides were numerically equal, played the better and stronger game. they attacked much more frequently than their opponents prior to the interval, and afterwards almost monopolised the pressure; but, withal the “thousands and one” chances that came their way, only the odd one was turned to account, and that occurred within the first three minutes of play. The Everton forwards are aggravatingly consistent in their failure at goal getting. What can be the cause, and how is it to be remedied? For it must be amended if Everton are to obtain the position they ought to. The executive have experimented with only about six forwards so far, and, as the ideal is far from being realised, more changes will be necessary. Wing and open work in generally well done but when it comes to the pinch of levelling at goal there is great deficiently in the attacking tactics, the shooting being too frequently weak or erratic. The other departments of the team are all right now. Murray had little to do on Saturday, but shaped better than any of the other emergency hands had done so far as he was tested, for probably no one would have stopped the shot that beat him, and he will no doubt give satisfaction until Jardine is well again, or until perhaps the Dumbarton recruit who is rumoured to have been secured arrives. The backs were in good form, and so were the half-backs, especially Boyle, while Jamieson did much capital work, and is certainly worthy of his promotions. Geary was in his element at outside right and completely overshadowed his colleagues, among whom Milward was the most serviceable, though his shooting proved alternately good and bad. The three inside men were moderate, and the centre man weakest of the lot, his failure at shots provoking the crowd to shout for his supersession in favour of Geary. The need of a strong, fearless centre is felt; and as Geary shaped so well at outside right perhaps it may work the desired charm if Latta should be tried once more in the middle. Accrington as a rule, could do little in opposition to the Everton half-backs, but when once these were mastered some smart, accurate passing was shown during the first half. Afterwards with a men short they were never troublesome. They had splendid backs, however, in Ditchfield and McLellan, and a trusty, resourceful custodian in Hay, who made brilliant saves whenever straight shots chanced to be essayed.


October 24, 1892, The Liverpool Mercury

These teams played first of their two league matches on Saturday, at Goodison Park, the fixture attracting about 15,000. The teams were as follows:- Everton, Murray, goal, Howarth (captain), and Collins backs, Boyle, Holt and jamieson, half-backs, Geary, Gordon, Maxwell, Chadwick,, and Milward, forwards. Accrington :- Hay, goal, Ditchfield, and McCellan, backs, Shuuterworth, Lea (h), and Tattersall half-backs, Lea (t), Whitehead, Alexander, Cookson, and Kirkham ,

Joining the essemble of the public, the band of the seamens's orphanage unarched sound and tried playing poplar tunes, and received an great cheer. Play was delayed for 10 minutes, owing to the none appearance of the visitors. Everton at once moved down on the left, and after receiviung a check, each side taking a free-kick. Milward shooting into goal, near the corner, Hay caught the ball and seemed to carry it under the bar, and the referee, claimed the ball had cross the line thuis Everton took the lead after 3 minutes, Alexander next tried his prownes, going strongly down the centre but had to give in to Howarth who cleared, well and Everton became the aggressor once more. And Chadwick put his collegues on the ball at a threatening spot, but Milward put it over the goal lineyards wide of the mark. In a few moments Geary took a good aim without the desire result. The Accrington made a visit in a combination movement of much neatness but which was thrown away. Geary again shown a good turn off speed and outpacing his opponents and placed Maxwell who headed over the bar. The right wing continued to benefit and Geary and Gordon certainly made excellent chances, and in one movement Geary gordon Milward and Maxwell in turn touched the ball, in a spendid bit of play that was fittindly finished off with a good shot from Maxwell, but which Hay neatly brushed aside with his fist. The game lended greatly in favour of the home team, who attacked most determinedly but found the defender hard as a rock. Having been always on the alert to neutalise any of the shots that threatened his charge. It seemed that Everton must and a valnerable spot, and just when spectators were being used to one way traffic, suddenly the scene and imagination underwent a change as Alexander went off with the ball at his toe, and defying all opponents, would no be content until he had a shot at goal, which proved to be a good quality and thorougly deseved the success it met with. The comfortable win protural up for the home team now faded in heavy doubt, but Everton were alive to the seriuos turn in the situration and drove Accrington hard, on their defence, during which exciting period Hay stopped one from Geary on his knee and threw away. A claim that the ball had been pulled into goal did not meet the support of the refereee. The onslaught by Everton continued except on occassional breakaway by the visitors up to the interval. But with no tangible result, and so ends were changed, with the sides on equality-a one goal each. Everton on resuming made two ineffective raids, and then disater occuried to Accrington as H Lea got injured, and retired from the game. They had thus but four forwards and were not often enabled to take up the attack, and when they did they could not get beyond the backs. Everton were ever moving from the half-line to goal always to find themselves gamely repulsed or else to be unaffective in their shooting. Corners fell to them, but there were of no service. Milward too, when in good position, was pulled up by the sound of the whistle. Ditchfield fouled Milward shortly afterwards and was spoken to by the referee whist on Whitehead attempting to break away he was held by Bole who also was reproved. Geary was the hero of the day the monotony of the Everton futile attack being agreeable broken by some magnificent efforts of his on the right. Once Maxwell had an easy chance but mulled it badly by sending over, and the so exasperated the onloolers that the urged by their about that Geary should go centre. This he shortly did amidst cheers but it did not secure a further downfall to Accrington. Immediately following the change, the paly became briefy more open, and then Everton settled down to a persistent bombardment. It was wonderful how the defences stood the siege but they could not raise it. Just when the whistle was about to sound, and Gordon banged against the end net, and a draw of a goal each was rendered ineivtable.



October 24, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

At Flint, Everton started off and pressed and scored. Two more goals within the space of ten minutes were gained by Everton., and play settle down for a little while, when rain falling rendered the ground slippery. A fourth goal was added by Pinnell followed by two more goals previous to half time making the score six goals to nil. In the second half, Flint were seen to be a little better advantage, but failed to score, while three more goals were added for the visitors. Result Everton 9 goals, Flint nil.

October 29, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton pay their annual visit to Pike-lane, the headquarters of the Bolton Wanderers, who are going very strongly just now, and who will be hard to overcome today. Everton, as will be seen from the names of the team given below, have amended their representation, which will include an new full back Foyer, and mat also embrace a fresh forward, with, it is hoped, better results than have hitherto ensued. For those who can spare the time to go to Bolton, there will be the customary cheap train.
Everton v Bolton Wanderers, Bolton, kick-off at three p.m. The following will play for Everton; Murray; Howarth, Foyer; Boyle, Holt, Jamieson; Geary, Gordon, Latta, Chadwick, Milward.
Everton Combination v Gorton Villa, Goodison Park, Kick-off at three p.m. The following will play for Everton; Thomas, goal; Chadwick and Collins, backs; McLaren, Jones and Robinson, half-backs; Smith, Murray, Coyle, McMillan, and Elliott, forwards.

October 29, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury
The unfavourable weather on Thursday decreased the total receipts in connection with the foundation-stone laying demonstration, but the football match, Southport Central v Everton Combination, proved a great success. The gate was the largest recorded on the Scarisbrick New-ground enclosure, £40 14s, 8d, of which £21 goes to the new infirmary fund. The spectators were pleased with a rapid and even game – 2 goals each. On the grand stand at the stone-laying and among the other spectators the infirmary nurses collected £36 9s, 4d. The lurry in the procession received about £7, and the cyclists’ parade a similar amount.



October 31, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Fred Geary missed a penalty kick

This League match was played at Bolton in wet dull weather on Saturday and the presence of 7,000 spectators, the following being the teams. Bolton Wanderers:- Sutcliffe goal, Somerville and Jones, backs, Paton, Matthews, and Turner half-backs, Wilson, Wilcox, Cassidy, McNee, and Dickenson, forwards, Everton;- Murray, goal, Howarth (captain), and Collins, backs Boyle Holt and Jamieson half-backs, Latta, Gordon, Geary, Maxwell, and Milward forwards. Mr John Lewis was Referee

Chadwick was absent with an injured leg whilst Foyer the expected new back, failed to turn up giving as an excuse the illness of his wife, Everton had the advantage of the wind at the outset, and opened full of their promise attacking sharpy all across the line and culminating in Geary shooting into Sutcliffe hands. A free kick fell to Everton on the left, following which Gordon drove in so well that Sutcliffe was forced to concede a corner and a determined were the visitors just now that the corners were enforced. These were of no services, but Everton kept pegging away, particularly on the left, which only served to bring out the good defence of Somerville. The Boltonians tried to breakaway, but were held in check by the Everton half-backs, and returning to the face of goal once more, both Milward and Geary shot wide, whilst a third shot, also from Geary , was accidentally intercepted by Matthews who caused the ball to shoot of his foot at right angles. Sommerville then cleared, and for the first time the Wanderers got down, when Jones lobbed into the goalmouth Murray being just in time to clear. Milward followed by screwing a beautifuly but Sutcliffe picked up smartly and threw to a great length to the right wing then went down in a smart run, widing up with a spendid screw shot but which Howarth neutralised. Cassidy shot, and then Everton made a sereve raid, when in reach of goal Milward put outside but the return was taken up on the right, when on Sutcliffe using his hands to a shot by Gordon, Latta came in with a screw and scored with a swift obilque shot, which competely beat Sutcliffe , as it would have done probably with any goalkeeper. This was a good start for Everton, who had worked gamely for the reward, but the advantage was immediately equalised from the restart a corner was forced by Paton which was so well placed by Wilson that Wilcox had no difficulty in scoring from the scrimmage. Bolton attacck again, but could not get behind the backs and the next shot came from Latta, who got down from a free kick against Matthews and shot at Sutcliffe, but, he clear. Geary having tried a winning shot received a nasty knock in his head, which caused suspension in play for a few minutes, when play resumed. A free kick was conceded, Everton from which they attacked weakly. At the other end,, Bolton were more dangerous but the shot had no effect and in a minute also, Maxwell shot along the ground, and seemed to have put over the goal line, ere Sutcliffe handed the ball. No goal was awarded, however, and then came a further downfall to the Everton goal, Paton want away strongly, and Wilcox f=driving in, the ball was scrimmaged through. Everton were again thrown hard on the defence and the Wanderers returned several times to goal in brilliant style the applause of their suopporters was a mostdeafying. The visitors, however, defended stiutly, and when the siege was raised , it became conspicious, first for a good shot, and then, for fouling Matthews. Everton were threatening from now to the interval, but not clever enough to break down the spendid defence presented by the Boltonians, who changed ends with a lead of 2 goals to 1. The home team now had the wind at their backs, and were confident of success. They opened the attack, but were promptly driven back, Milward running down at a rear speed. Shot a striking the near post. Sutcliffe used his fist to a return shot, and Murray had a spell of anxiety but he was quick enough to meet a ticklish one from McNee. Everton left again dashed off forcing a corner, and during the tussle Matthews foul Geary inside the 12 yards mark in such away as to justify a Penalty-kick . This was entrusted to Geary, who made a mull of it, missing the kick, but in his behalf it must be said that he seemed somewhat hampered by Jones. Geary was, of course, chagrined at his ill success, but darted away on resuming, onlt to be pulled up before becoming dangerous. The Wanderers than had a turn, and raided frequently during which troublous moment Holt got the ball smartly once or twice out of a melee; but no effectual relief was afforded and on Dickenson passing to Cassidy, the latter screw in, the bvall passing through Murray's hands. Geary was penalised soon after restarting, when near in, and thus lost a chance. The following a long shot by Cassidy, to which Murray used his fist, but had to run the gaunlet of severe tussle in his goal. By way of relief to the monotony of Bolton pressure. Milward scampered off and shot narrowly behind, and then tried his luck again, but this time Somerville gave hands from which the ball was worked harmlessly over the line. Shortly afterwards a scrimmage arose from a long kick by Jones, during which Bolton scored their fourth goal. The subsequent play was even, without any alteration in the score, Bolton Wanderers thus winning by 4 goals to 1.


October 31, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton have again been pegged back, and in a very emphatic manner too, as they were beaten at Pike's lane by the Bolton Wanderers by 4 goals to 1, which score corresponds exactly with those of the Aston Villa and Sunderland disaster. The team that did duty for Everton on Saturday was not the one originally selected, as Chadwick was absent nursing an injury he had suffered in the North v. Midlands League match on Monday last, and Foyer, the new back, excused putting in an appearance through illness of his wife. This led to some derangement of the forwards Maxwell partnering Milward, and Geary returning from outside right to the centre. The formation worked all right at the commencement, as, playing with a strong wind at their backs, Everton during the initial period played the better game; but the ground was heavy going, and Geary afterwards showed signs of fatigue, and got knocked about a good deal, so much so that he once or twice evinced an inclination to be so injudicious as to retaliate. Still Everton attacked more frequently throughout, as usual, than their opponents, but that scincisively, and thus the winners must be voted the cleverer team. They were solid all along the line. In Sutcliffe they have one of the most powerful, cool, and resourceful goalkeepers in the country, and upon whom Everton look with pardonably envious eyes. Both Jones and Somerville were giants in defence. The half-backs were also in keeping with the men behind them, and the forwards keen and progressive in their movements rather than fanciful and inoperative. They have a capital pair on the right wing in Wilson and Wilcox, and it was from these that the destruction to Everton's hopes was wrought primarily, whilst Dickenson, on the outside left, was also clever in centring, and all five joined in compact play when at close quarters, Everton, on the other hand, were weakly represented in goal, and probably the disparity between the skill of Murray and Sutcliffe in the key to the result, for while the latter always threw the ball to a great distance, the former used chiefly his fist, checking but not grappling effectively with the shots. Howarth played splendidly, and so did Collins as a rule, but his lack of speed severely handicaps him when it is necessary to get back quickly. Holt was strong all through, Boyle sustained his reputation, and Jamieson was good and bad by turns, which made it harden still for Collins, but they were certainly face to face with two clever and speedy forwards. Latta and Gordon were seen to such advantage on the right and Milward on the left, but then came a gap, at least in the second half. Both Maxwell and Geary shot feebly. The latter made a sad mess of a penalty kick, and it is to be regretted that the team did not line up as originally selected, with Latta centre and Geary outside right, where the latter did so well in the Accrington match. The change was made in deference to the captain, and results have not proved the soundness of his judgment.

Everton take on Caledonians at Woodgate Park today.

London Caledonian v. Everton League

The following team will represent the Caledonians in this match, to be played today (Monday) at Woodgate Park, commencing at 3.30 p.m. Whitehead, goal; Lyon and Parry, backs; Graham, Kirkwood, (capt), AND Farmer, half-backs; Deighton, Brothers, McCabe, Bryce, and Hastings, forwards.


October 31, 1892. The Liverpool Mercury

This was the only combination match played on Saturday and took place at Goodison Park before a good number of spectators. Everton had the help of the wind during the first half, and kept up a strong pressure during which time they scored five goals. The game contined in favour of Everton, who added a 7 goal to nil victory to their remarkable list of successs. Smith (3) Roberts, Pinnell (2)

Everton team, Thomas goal, Chadwick and Collinson, backs McLearen Jones and Roberts half-backs, Smith, Murray, Pinnell, McMillan and Elliott forwards

Place 1 st played 8 won 8, lost 0 drew 0 for 51, against 2 points 16