September 1901

Nottingham Evening Post - Monday 15 July 1901
In addition to John Bell, the famous Scottish international, Everton have engaged another of their old players, Toman, the ex-Burnley centre-forward, who has been playing in the Southern League for the past two seasons.

Dundee Evening Post - Saturday 20 July 1901
The following transfer were passed at the English Association meeting; C. Clark, Hamilton Academicals to Everton, F. Halliday, Everton to Bolton Wanderers, J. Bell, New Brighton Tower to Everton.

Dundee Evening Post - Thursday 25 July 1901
Wolstenholmes, Everton's popular right back, and a man well qualified for captaincy cares in the opinion of many people, is in the matrimonial market, and will be married shortly in Liverpool to a Farnworth young lady. Mr Molyneux, does not return for another week. Gray, clever winger, who has been identified with Everton for a conple of seasons, during which period hat performed more than creditably, is at present of the great unsigned. In style is not unlike Meredith, of Manchester City, although he does not possess the remarkably fine speed of the City right-winger. Four years ago Gray played for Scotland versus Ireland a junior, whilst as a senior he has represented Glasgow against Sheffield.

Dundee Evening Post - Monday 05 August 1901
Smart Arridge, the once-famous Everton and Welsh internationalist, has been signed by Stockport County. This back was, at his best, a top sawyer and could satisfy the “Porters.”
Molyneux, the ex-Everton back, and last winter with Southampton, has again fixed up for the last-named organization. His name was left out of Southampton's recently published list of players in error.

Dundee Evening Post - Tuesday 13 August 1901
Footballers have been well to the fore in cricket during the past week. Lewis, the Everton full back, excelled in the game against Sussex. Next to his great effort comes that of Sharp's against Derbyshire, at Old Trafford on Saturday. This Evertonian has seldom played better. It was his policy to force the game, and he did it better than most other batsmen on the side could have done. His speed of scoring was at times terrific. During one over alone he scored three fours, and on one occasion made a five, all run.

August 21 1901. The Liverpool Mercury
The following transfer were confirmed T.Wolstenholmes, to Blackpool, and R.Taylor to Bolton Wanderers.

Derby Daily Telegraph - Wednesday 21 August 1901
The following transfer were passed at the English Association meeting; T. Wolstenholes, Everton to Blackpool; R. Taylor, Everton to Bolton Wanderers. Meeting at St Annes, reported on 13 August, R. Struthers, Everton to Bolton,

Dundee Evening Post - Wednesday 21 August 1901
William Williams hasgone to Newton Heath with a transfer from Blackburn Rovers. Williams has been attached to Blackburn, Everton, and Bristol City. He is a speedy right-winger.
T. Booth has been elected the Everton League team captain, and three other “B” take up the other cpatainships – Balmer, sub-captain League team; Boyle, captain Combination and Blythe, sub-captain of Combination. Jack Bell who is the only recognized outside left signed by Everton for next season, has been holidaying in Scotland. Jack Sharp, Everton's popular right-winger, and a man equally popular as a Lancashire county cricketer, has been granted permission by the Toffees to finish the month out in the ranks of the small ball chasers. Sharp, however, has been requested to take his place in Everton's “white” trial team for Saturday next.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 24 August 1901
The Toffies believe in quantity well and quality, and believe they have secured both for the ensuing season in a collection 25 players. Of course they have Combination well as League games play, end that number will none too many to run both. Everton's weak point baa always been centre-forward, and a new player is to be tried there in A. Young, of St. Mirron and Falkirk. If doesn't answer there are plenty of substitutes. They are equally rich in other departments: two goalkeepers, four backs, seven halves, and eleven wing men, and some of these wingers can play inside or out. Though Everton made a poor show last season, they were liberally supported by the public, and »re in funds. Goodison Park is always in good condition; is now better than ever. Everton's big battalion for the season is as follows:—Goalkeepers, W. Muir and G. W. Kitchen; backs, W. Balmer, G. Ecclea, J. Watson, and B. Sharp: halves, T. Booth, S. Wolstenholme. R. H. Boyle, W. Abbott. J. Blythe, C. Brown, and C. Clark : forwards. J. Sharp, J. D. Taylor, W. Roche, P. Paterson. W. Toman. J. Proudfoofc, A. Young. J. Settle, J. Bone, A. N. Chadwick, J. W. Bell, and J. Worthington,

August 24 1901. The Liverpool Football Echo
Willie Muir , Goal, born Glenbach 1877, height 5ft 11ins; weight 11 st 8lbs Played for Glenbach, Athletic Kilnarnock, and joined Everton at 1898-99 season, steady, cool, and fast.
George Kitchen : Muir's consistency prevent his appearance in League fights, joined from Stockport County, 1898. Weights 13st 10lbs, Born at Buxton 1876, height 6ft

George Eccles: - secured from Wolverhampton Wanderers, in 1898, after service with Middleport Alliance and Burslem Port Vale. Born at Newcastle under Tyme, 1875. Height 5ft 9 and half inches and Weights 11 st 7 lbs. did not figure regularly in last season's League eleven until the closing stages.
Walter Balmer: - the Toffees leading defender, who has taken Inter-League honours. Born Liverpool 1877, he stands 5ft 9 and a half inches and draws the scale at 12st 4lbs. His only previous club was Aintree Church. Considered on Merseyside to be England's best right back last season.
John Watson: - Everton's regular left back, until the last two months of 1900-01 season, when Eccles stepped in. Born Dundee 1876, height 5ft 8and a half inches and weights 11 st 7lb. Played for Dundee Wanderers, New Brompton, Dundee, and joined Everton in April 1900
Bertie Sharp : - an elder brother to the forward of the same name, who was secured from Hereford Thistle by Aston Villa, and last season selved Southampton. A smart all round athlete. He should make a name for himself in League football.

Richard Boyle: - now in his ninth season with Everton one of the best workers the club ever possessed. Born at Dumbarton 1871, height 5ft 6ins, and weights 10st 7lbs.
Sam Wolstenholmes : - went through last season without a miss. Born at Little Lever 1878, height 5ft 9 and a half inches, and weights 12st. Played for Farnworth Alliance and Horwich. Frequently named for internationals honours.
Tom Booth : - capped for England against Wales 1898. And was at the height of his form between 1896-1900 for Blackburn Rovers. Also figured with Hooley Hill (native place), and Aston North End, joined the Toffees in 1900-at 25 years old, height 5ft 10ins, and weights 12st.
Walter Abbott: - born Birmingham 1878, weight 13st 11lb and height 5ft 9 and a half inches. First played for Rosewood Victoria, joined Small Heath 1895, and headed the second division goal getting in 1898-99. Everton converted him into a half-back when his scoring powers failed, and in this position he is a success.
Clharlie Clark: - figured regularly at half-back last season for Hamilton Acadmicals.
J Blythe: - Born Berwick on Tweed 1887, played for New Delaval Villa, Blyth, and Jarrow and joined Everton 1899, but his League appearance were most infrequent last season. height 5ft 8 and a half inches, and weights 11 st 7lbs.

Jack Sharp: - Born at Hereford, played for Hereford Thistle and Aston Villa, as a centre forward, but found his correct position at Goodison park, as an outside right, very fast and a terrific shot, and only 21 years old, height 5ft 6 and three quarters inches, and weights 11 st 7lbs.
Jack Bell : - the famous Scottish International returns to the scene of former triumphs, to fill the outside left position. Last season he was New Brighton's second best score. Jack was capped against England in 1896, 97, 98, 99 and 1900, Wales 1899, and Ireland 1898 and 1899.
Alex Young : -A smart young pivot, who is in his first season at Goodison Park. Played for St-Mirren and Falkirk.
Brown: - Born Liverpool 1880; has figured with Staylebridge Rovers, for two seasons is fast clever with the ball and should come on in League football.
Peter Paterson: - A very promising inside right, who last season played for Lanarkshire against Ayreshire, and was attached to the Royal Albert club.
Bone: - first season with Everton, hails from Heywood Wanderers, Lanarkshire. A smart inside left.
W.Roche : - third season at Goodison Park, previously played for Scacombe Swifts. Born Seacombe 1878, heigh 5ft 8 and a half inches and weights 11 st 8ib.
Chadwick : - a young brother of the famous ex-Evertonian “Edgar” who was born at Blackburn 1881 and as played for Rising sun, St George misson; High 5ft 7 and a half inches, and weights 10st 5lbs.
Worthington: - first season with Everton, very clever on the ball and speedy.
Jack Taylor: - played regular after the opening two months last season. Seen service with Dumbarton (where he was born) and St Mirren. Joined Everton 1895. Still a good winger despite advancing years. He is 29 years of age, height 5ft 10ins; and weights 11 st 8lbs.
John Proudfoot: - A consistently played centre, small; 5ft 6ins, on the heavy side; 12st 8lbs, but a worker and takes some stopping when on the ball. Born in Glasgow 1875, and joined his present club in 1899 after a turn with Thistle and Blackburn Rovers.
Wilf Toman: - Born at Bishop Auckland was assailed with Newcastle Junior team, then in turn served Aberdeen, Stolters Victoria United, Dundee and Burnley (three seasons). Joined Everton in 1898-99 season, and now returns after spending 1900-01 with Southampton. Age 25 years old, height 5ft 10ins, and weights 11 st 11lbs. Played in the inter-League game against Scotland 1898-99.
Jimmy Settle: - seen service with Bolton Wanderers, Hollwell Rovers, and Bury. Gamed his cap against Scotland, Ireland and Wales in 1899, and also appearance for England against Scotland Inter-League match. Born at Millong 25 years ago, height 5ft 6ins, and weights 11 st . dashing, clever, and shoots well.

August 26 1901. The Liverpool Courier
An crowd of people visit Goodison Park on Saturday afternoon, to watch the Everton football players played their full dress rehearsal prior to the lift of the curtain for the season, between 25,000 and 30,000 being present, which shows keenly the opening of the campaign is anticipated. The sides were distinguished by the following : - Blues: - Muir, goal, Eccles, and Watson, backs, Boyle, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Proudfoot, Paterson, Young, Bone and Chadwick, forwards. Whites: - Kitchen, goal, Jones and Sharp, backs, Blythe, Clark and Brown, half-backs, Bell, Settle, Toman, Taylor, and W.Roche forwards. ( The last name substituted J.Sharp who was engaged in Cricket at Old Trafford) from the disposition of the teams will be seen that the Blues were composition of what may be called the League defenders and the combination forwards and the Whites combination defence and the League forwards. The weather was very warm, too much so perhaps for the players to indulged to any degree in violent exercise for the space of an hour and half, consequently the exhibition was tame and slow, and scarcely worth of the trouble of the many spectators putting up a appearance, many hundreds of whom probably ropped themselves of a trip across the “Water” for the sake of being present. Neither front line tested the worth of the other, though the League left wing (Bell and Settle) gave one or two grand displays and enable Toman to score twice during the play for the Whites.

Sheffield Independent - Saturday 31 August 1901
Goal; W. Muir, and G. W Kitchen; backs, W. Balmer, G. Eccles, J. Watson, and B. Sharp; half-backs; T. Booth, S. Wolstenholmes, R.H. Bovic, W. Abbott, J. Blythe, C. brown, C. Clark; forwards, J. Sharp, J.D. Taylor, Roche, P. Paterson, W. Toman, J. Proudfoot, A. Young, J. Settle, J. Bone, A.N. Chadwick, J. W. N.W Bell, J. Worthington

It must be confessed that with the wealth of talent they had at their disposal last season the Evertonians put only a moderate figure in the football world, figuring seventh on the League list, and being knocked out in the second round of the English Cup Competition by Sheffield United. There are not likely to be many changes in the team, though several new players or repute have been engaged. The most notable absentee from the Everton ranks will be Turner, who last season took part in no fewer than 31 League matches. The new men engaged are C. brown, a right half-back, who was born at Greenock, but who last played for Stalybridge; P. Paterson, who has played regularly for Royal Albert, a young Scotch club, since the season 1897-98; A Young,, born at slamannan, who last played for Falkirk; and J. Bone, born at Glenbank, an inside right, who last played for Haywood Wanderers. Then in addition three old friends have rejoined the fold in Bert Sharp (Left full back), W. Toman (Inside right or centre), and Jack Bell, who since he left Everton in 1898, has played for Celtic and New Brighton. Muir is a certainty for goal, while Eccles and Balmer are the most likely pair for the back division. Wolstenholmes, Booth, (who will captain the team); and the only trouble the directors will be will either have to go inside right or centre, as Bell and Settle are sure to be the first choice for the left wing, and it is hardly likely Proudfoot will be shifted from the centre; whilst failing Toman, J. D. Taylor, and J. Sharp will form the right wing. Everton should do better this season than last.

T. Wolstenholme
Dundee Evening Post - Saturday 31 August 1901
T. Wolstenholm, brother to S. Wolstenholme, the popular Everton half-back, has been transferred to Blackpool. This young branch, who in appearance is a second Raisebeck, is also a half-back, and was tried in a couple of Combination fixtures by the Toffees last seasons.

Portsmouth Evening News - Saturday 31 August 1901
Southampton, the champions of the Southern League, appeared in danger of losing quite a number of the men who gained them first honours in the competition last season –and, as it is Toman, and B. Sharp have thrown in their lot with Everton –but the secessions are not likely to prove quite so numerous as was recently feared.

September 2 1901. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton are in the happy position of having nothing to lose, and everything to gain. Their performance of last season left them in this comparatively charming predicament and there by their supporters may for the nounce, build up fond hopes for the future and construct castes in the air. This is one advantage to be deprived from connection with an unsatisfactory combination for the coming season can be painted in the most lured colours, Why the Everton team did not reach a higher pinnacle of fame last year need not now be discussed the present demands attention and all well wishes of the “Blues” are hoping for better results during the present campaign. Steady persistency is necessary to ensure success, and meteoric brilliance at occasional intervals followed by desponding depths of gloom, is bound to result in ultimate failure. It is pleasing to note that Everton this winter does not intend to annex all the trophies, which the football arena offers. There is therefore more hope for them in the ensuing campaign, and there is no reason why, if judiciously managed, the eleven which will do duty to-night against Manchester City, should not achieve fame, which will justify all the anticipations of its supporters. Looking at the team individually the executives seen to have got capable materials to work upon. Strong in defence, and dangerous in attack, and with a thorough understanding between the men-which should be already present seeing that the majority of them were playing together last season-matters should develop in a satisfactory fashion. It will be interesting to see how the left wing works, for Bell, should be a source of strength on the outside, whilst the other players who have returned from wandering in foreign climes, may doubtless have derived beneficial results from the changes, Wolstenholmes has unfortunately been suffering from the effects of a heart stroke. And the halfbacks line may thus be shorn of one of the ornaments for a time. The remainder of the players are reported very fit and they will no doubt be greeted with demonstrations of delight by an expectant crowd this evening, anxious to see them score the first points in their initial League match.

Lancashire Evening Post - Tuesday 03 September 1901
At Goodison Park, before 15,000 people. Everton had the advantage of a slight breeze, and they pressed for the greater portion of the first half but the shooting was defective. Meredith did well for the City, but on both sides the defence prevailed, and the interval arrived with no score. The home side attacked vigorously in the opening stages of the second half, but Williams kept goal splendidly. After twenty minutes' play Bell scored for Everton from a centre by Sharp. Bell afterwards added another, and Toman scored a third goal within a minute. Close time Meredith scored for the City. Result: —Everton 3 goals, Manchester City 1 goal.

September 3 1901. The Liverpool Mercury
The League campaign of !901-02 was opened in a decidedly satisfactory fashion at Goodison Park yesterday evening and Everton had the felicity of annexing their first couple of points of the season at the expense of Manchester City. An eager expectant crowd numbering fully 20,000 persons welcomed the “Blues” as they bounded forth on the splendidly appointed enclosure, and as the result was in favour of the home side by 3 goals to 1, the majority of them went away fully satisfied with the form displayed. Punctually to time the visitors commenced operations, but the outcome of 45 minutes play was that no goals scored. During the first half Everton had a considerable preponderance of the actual warfare, but they met with a sturdy defence, and the City custodian, Williams effected splendid clearances, though in front of goal neither side during the initial moiety showed to particular advantage, Bell, whose form throughout the game was greatly appreciated, was responsible for the most serious attempts to lower the Manchester citadel, though Taylor from a centre by the outside left winger, headed but inches on the wrong side of the upright. The City forwards made several desperate attempts to gain some tangible rewards for their efforts, their wing rendering excellent services, but the final attempts were decidedly weak, and Muir was rarely troubled. The second half was entered upon with a clean sheet, but Everton soon became more aggressive in their movements, and Williams proved the only stumbling block to their achieving the just rewards of their praiseworthy movements. Repeatedly did the City custodian baulk the home rank, and the second half had been in progress over 20 minutes before Bell had the pleasurable experience of scoring the first goal of the season from Sharp's centre. Having broken the ice so to speak, the Everton front rank were eager to settle the game completely, and backed up by some excellent half-back play. Sharp once more beautifully rounded the backs, sent to Bell, and the latter again put on the finishing touch, thus being one of the best bits of play seen in the match. A minute later Toman had brought Williams to his knees, with a terrific drive, and the custodian conceding a corner, the Everton centre had a minute later placed his side three goals ahead from a well directed flag kick. Here the Manchester players strove hard to reduce the deficit, the result being that Meredith close on time placed the ball past Muir, and the result was in favour of Everton by a margin of two goals. That they deserved their victory is indisputable, and they were a decidedly better side than their opponents. They were more evenly balanced, backs and forwards working together in commendable unison for an opening game, and tough a goal was a long time in coming, there was never much doubt about the ultimate issue of the struggle. The splendid work achieved by Bell on the left was chief feature at the forward play, but Sharp was in rare trim also, and Toman worked in the centre with a pleasing persistency, while Taylor and Settle work keen on the ball, and nothing was lost for want of trying. The halves were in capital form, and Boyle was equal to the best of them. The backs were sound, and taken all round, Everton gave an extremely satisfactory display. There was no holding the teams when they had once tested the sweets of success, after Bell had opened the scoring, and their victory was well worked for and well served. The visitors were weak near goal, but they have a team, which should hold its own in the coming season. The right wing is a very business like combination, and the skilful Meredith had a rare trier with him in the ex-Millwall player. “Frost” The other extremity of the line was rather hesitating in its action, and the halves were not exactly up to concert punch, but the backs were a capital pair and Williams in goal was half the team. He kept a splendid goal, and without being showy he defended his charge in rare fashion. He was powerless to stop the shots that beat him and to him, he must be credited the fact that the reverse sustained by his side did not assume larger proportions. Everton have thus made a capital start in their winter campaign, and their display was sufficient to produce ardent hopes for further triumphs. Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Watson half-backs, Boyle, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, Toman Settle, and Bell, forwards. Manchester City: - Williams, goal, Read, and Slater, backs, Moffatt, Smith and Hosie, half-backs Meredith, Frost, Bevans, Scotson, and Hurst, forwards. Referee Mr.John Lewis.

Dundee Evening Post - Monday 05 August 1901
Smart Arridge, the famous Everton and Welsh international, has been signed by Stockport County.  This back was, at his best, a top sawyer, and could satisfy the Potters.  

September 5 1901. The Liverpool Courier
Chester opened their season yesterday when they had a friendly visit from Everton Combination. The new ground in Whipcort lane looked in capital condition, and the large number of spectators who lined the ropes was very encouraging, and argured well for the success of the resuscitated cestrians. Concillor Hewitt started the ball for the home side, who made play. From a capital check by Garrall, but the ball was sent wide. Everton, who were bothered with the Sun in their eyes, attacked in great style, but Moore saved twice in quick succession. Chester attacked, Gibbs, Lipsham and Griffiths each putting in good work. Gibbs and Lipsham both had good tries, but the ball went wide. Just after Prescott brought Kitchen to his knees, with a fast shot, which he was lucky in saving. Prescott and hallmark showed up on the home left, and Kitchen, again cleared with difficulty. Everton attacked again with great persistency, and Moore was applauded for clever saves from close quarters. Everton pressed on the left, and Morris kicked clear in the nick of time. The game up to this time had not a dull moment, and the Chester play was most praiseworthy. The forwards were on the light side, but the defence was very sound. The home team got down again and Lipsham made a good attempt from a awkward position. Everton change the venue, and Young shot wide. Twice again Moore had to fist away, good attempts by the visitors forwards. Lipsham made a splendid attempt at the Everton end, but Kitchen got his fist to the leather. A capital shot from the visitors, right, and Moore fisted with difficulty. Scott sent in a capital shot from the visitors right, and it just grazed the bar. At half time there was no score. On restarting, Chadwick compelled Moore to fist away, Everton kept up the attack, and Moore executed two splendid saves when on the ground. Again, Everton pressed, and Chadwick hit the upright. The visitors kept up a tremendous pressure, and Chadwick was again conspicuous for fine play, and dangerous shooting. Paterson had a shot, but the ball went over the bar. Chester removed the play, and Griffiths the home centre, defeated Kitchen with a capital shot, amid great cheering. After twenty minutes had gone in the second half, Young the Everton centre, tricked the Chester backs prettity, and scored neatly out of the reach of Moore. A sharp bully in front of the Chester goal followed, and an exciting moment ended in Scott shooting s second goal. The visitors soon after scored a third, Moore in an exciting scrimmage, kicking the ball into his own net. Everton were now wearing the Chester men down, and a capital run on the left enabled Chadwick to secure a fourth. Result Chester 1, Everton four. Chester: - Moore, goal, Morris, and Wakefield, backs, Delaney, Farrell, and Dawson, half-backs Halmark, Prescott, Griffiths, Gibbs, and Limpsham. Forwards.

Toman sustained compound fracture of his right leg after 10 minutes play.
September 9 1901. The Liverpool Courier.
The first Saturday League match of the season was played at Goodison-park. Wolverhampton Wanderers being the visitors to the famous Everton enclosure. The weather could not have been more delightful, remanding one more of summer than winter. Fully 20,000 people would be present when shortly before 3-30 the game commenced the teams were: -
Everton: - Muir goal Balmer, and Watson, backs Boyle, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, Settle, and Bell forwards, Wolverhampton Wanderers: - Baddeley, goal, Jones (j), and Walker, backs, Whithouse, Pheasant, and Annis, half-backs, Jones (jw), Hayward, Beats, Woodridge, and Miller, forwards. Referee Mr.F.Bye. Sheffield.
Everton started against the wind, but the Wolves went straight away on the left, with the result that Woolridge was left in possession. He dodged Balmer and furnished with lighting shot, which went outside the upright. Toman was dashing off nicely with the ball when unfortunately he was hurt, and had to be carried off the field. Despite this drawback the Evertonians made a brave show. As a rule they were attacking with occasional rushes by the visitors front rank, which however, Balmer and his colleagues were well able to nip in the bud. Suddenly Settle got the ball and passed out to Bell, and dashed away, and sent in a shot, which struck the goalkeeper. In the melee Settle rushed up and banged the ball into the net, scoring the first goal for Everton, 12 minutes after the start. After this reverse the Wolves appeared to greater advantage, and for some time they were conspicuous in attack. Once Wooldridge made a good attempt to beat Muir without success, and then after Pheasant had cleverly robbed Bell, he passed over the right wing, Beats cleverly dashed in and had a pop at goal, but his shot was woefully wide of the mark. Although without the services of Toman, the Evertonians were the better team, but the football for the main part were not very great, although there were some clever individual efforts. Sharp had the misfortunate to place the ball into the wrong side of the upright, but coming again, Taylor got in a timely pass to Settle, who after leaving the ball followed it up and planted it in the net, amid terrific cheering. The second goal was distinctly pleasing to the crowd, and the cheering was renewed when Jack Sharp was seen sprinting down the wing. His pass however, was not ultised by Taylor, and a change came with a visit by the Wolverhampton to the vicinity of Muir's charge, the goalkeeper being called upon to fist away. Boyle with some of his old masterly touches initiated another attack on the visitors goal. For the moment nothing tangible resulted, but the crowd had not long to wait. Settle again obliged. He dodged several opponents very trickily, and finished up by crediting himself with the third of the match. It was a brilliant effort, which deserved the applause, with which it was received. From now to the interval the ball was rapidly transferred from end to end, but nothing further was secured. Halt time Everton 3; Wolves nil.
When the game was resumed their seemed to be an attendance of fully 25,000 people. In no way discouraged by the sad accident to Toman, the Evertonians went into the game with rare spirit, and soon Bell had a pop at goal, the ball, however, lacking direction. Taylor next forced a corner, which Sharp placed behind and another fine attempt by Bell came to nothing. The visiting left wing had a look in for a few minutes, but Balmer was impassable, and the leather was once again in the Wolves half. Nothing could be made of his chance, and by cleverness on the part of Pheasant, the visitors again made progress. Boyle however, came to the rescue of his side, and for a time the game was contested in midfield. Gradually the Wolves became more aggressive in their tactics, and Muir was called upon to deal with a long dropping shot from Walker. Sharp put in a dashing run, but he lost command of the ball when near goal. However, a moment later Taylor did the trick. Receiving the ball from Settle he ran clean through his opponents, and scored a fourth goal, which gave Baddeley no chance, in a twinkling the Wolves were at the other end, and Woolridge took advantage of an opening to put a shot which beat Muir. Baddeley was next called upon to deal with a dangerous shot, which he cleared at the expanse of a fruitless corner, and the run of the game was at this stage more favourable to the Wolves, who imparted more vigour into their movements. At the same time the enthusiasm of the crowd was aroused by a splendid effort on the part of Bell, who aided by Settle, came marvellous near capturing the Wolverhampton for the fifth time. As it was, the ball bounced from Baddeley's hands to the crossbar, and out of danger. It was a brilliant effort, for which bell was deservedly applauded. A moment later Settle seemed to have a glorious opening, but he placed the ball on the wrong side of the upright. Baddeley kicked away a low shot from Taylor, and the game was stopped for a few minutes, owing to an injury to Watson. Who however, was quickly able to restore. Taylor scored a fifth and sixth goal, and Everton winning by six goals to one.

Series Injury to Toman
The injury to the Everton centre forward, Toman turned out to be more serious than was at first anticipated. He was found to have sustained a compound fracture of the right leg, and so serious was his condition considered that he was conveyed to the Stanley Hospital. General sympathy will be extended to Toman in his misfortunate, occurring as it does right at the beginning of the football season. On inquiry at the Stanley Hospital last night, it was stated that Toman was progressing as favorably as could be expected, but that the injury series one. We understand that about £27 was collected on the ground on Saturday for Toman, the representatives of the Wolverhampton Wandererers Club subscribing £5.

Everton v Wolves
Lancashire Evening Post -Monday 9, September 1901
The defeat of Wolverhampton Wanderers by 6 goals to 1. Everton was remarkable result, and that, too, in face of the fact that Toman, the Everton centre, had his leg broken. Still there was no point at, which the Wolves X1, could be compared with the Everton X1. The injury to Toman was a pure accident. The ball was sent down the field by one the home halves, and both Walker and Toman kicked at the same moment. Walker's foot went straight up and sent the ball away, and Toman's shin caught Walker's heel. A compound fracture that will keep him out of the field for months—only too probably for the rest of the season —was the result. A collection Was made on the ground for him, and the Wanderers' directors subscribed five guineas, which is just as much as they can afford in tie present financial circumstances of the club.

September 9 1901. The Liverpool Mercury
Lancashire Combination (Game 1)
The Champions of the Combination sent their strongest team to oppose the Rossendale. The home team pressed at the beginning, and Kitchen was called upon to save. Howard shot over the bar, and the Everton pressed hard, but Rossendale defended finely. Everton had a good chance but Chadwick shot wide. Heys miskick after 35 minutes play, and Young scored for Everton, score at half time Everton 1 goal Rossendale nil. Richards equalised Result Rossendale 2 goals Everton 1. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Sharp (b) and Eccles, backs, Brown Clark, and Blythe, half-back Roche, Paterson, Young, Bone, and Chadwick (j), forwards.

September 9 1901. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton have opened their League campaign in a startlingly successfully fashion, and those who were pleasing with their initial victory over Manchester City must have been doubly delighted with the manner in which they romped round the team hailing from Wolerhampton. The latter had given a capital display against Nottingham Forest five days previously, and their visit was anticipated with feelings of uncertainly a keen game being considered very probable. The result therefore, came somewhat in the nature of a surprise to supporters of the home side, and to the Midlanders it must have been a thunder both in their midst. Rarely have the Wolves been so badly beaten in this City. Though it must be forgotten that when last they disported themselves at Goodison Park they dropped five goals. Then however, they played a game apart from the matter of scoring goals, but on Saturday they were both beaten heavily and deservedly for they shaped more like “Lambs” than wolves. The rejoicing, consequently upon the excellent performance of their favourites, of the followers of the Everton club were considerably damped by a most serious and untoward accident to Toman, who in the simplest possible manner, and without the slightest evidence of undue roughness on the part of the visitors right full backs sustained a compound fracture of the right leg, below the knee, which necessitated his removal to the Stanley Hospital. Our two League teams have enjoyed a pleasing immunity from occurrences of such a nature, and the disaster came as tremendous shock to all when the full nature of the injury was ascertained. Toman had upto this juncture been showing most pleasing form, his movement being dashing and his passing judicious, and it was in following up a return from one of his backs, that he was disabled. He and his opponents reached the ball about the same time, and the Everton centre, leaping upwards to gain possession, must have been unfortunately kicked. It was hard luck for the Everton club, but immeasurably so for Toman, who will have the heartiest wishes of everyone for his speedy recovery, and if possible, his reappearance in the team. It is pleasing to add that a collection on the ground for Toman benefit released £20 6s.9d, and in addition the Wolves promised £5. The manner in which the ten Everton players went into the fray, after this was the most pleasing feature of the game. The four forwards buckled to their work grandly, and fairly played havoc with the Wanderers defence, which they broke down no fewer than six times. So vigorous did they enter in the contest that the absence of their comrade was not felt, and in apportioning out praise to the quartette of earnest triers first place must be awarded to Settle. The inside left is an enticing player to watch when seen at his best and he showed to decided advantage against the Wolves. Full of dash and trickery, he was a constant source of danger to the Wolves defence, and nothing could been more deftly executed than the movements, which enabled him to score goals, number two and three. The second was the result of pretty manoeure, but the third was the outcome of pure doggedness, and irresistibility of purpose, for he beat fully half a dozen opponents before shooting. Having shown the way, he handled over his mantle to Taylor, in the second moiety, and twice made openings for the right winger, which were promptly utilised Taylor, wastes no time in emergencies of this sort, and in each instance Baddeley had simply to look on whilst the points were registered, bell put in some sterling work, and in addition to being the primary agent in the first goal scored, had very hard luck in other cases, but Sharp was not so conspicuous as usual. The half backs went all the way, and were never satisfield with work. The most surprising feature in the two opening games has been the excellent play of Boyle, and on present form, he would be a rash individual who would dare suggest a change at right back. Utterly devoid of any shady tactics, his work was most effective, though in Boyle's case, it is almost needless to state that those two features usually go together. Let not the sterling display of Booth and Abbott be minimized for, both players were as terriers to their opponents, and never acknowledge being beaten. Further behind the full backs were rarely in difficulties, and Watson should do well with such a keen partner as Balmer, who is always at hand when assistance is needed. Muir was only beaten once, but though he saved his charge, he did not create a favourable impression, and more than once it was a relief when he succeeded in getting the ball away, for he appeared unable to hold it securely. In speaking of the performance of the visitors there is unfortunately little to be said in the way of praise. Their forwards were not the Wolves of old, and those terrible rushes, long swinging passes, followed by incisive shooting, were conspicuous by their absence. They never got going, and though the tenacity of the home halves was chiefly responsible for this they lacked combination and definite understanding. They should do better when more accustomed to each other for a must not be forgotten that the side has undergone considerable alteration from last year and this is perhaps the most charitable view to take. The left wing did well at times, and Hayward seems to have ability, which only heels nurturing. The halves were good and Walker rendered excellent service at full back, but Baddeley's arm has evidently lost its cunning, and his resource was never apparent. Everton are all similes just now, and if they can take defeat when it comes as cheerfully well and good.

Burnley Express - Wednesday 11 September 1901
Play had only been in progress ten minute Goodison Park, where the " Wolves" were the visitors, when Toman met with serious accident. A lofty return was so placed that Toman and the " Wolves' right back had equal chances of getting to the ball at about the same time, and after the meeting Toman lay prone on the ground. It transpired that he had received a compound fracture the right leg, below the knee, necessitating his removal to the Stanley Hospital. The occurrence appeared so simple, that when the extent of the mishap was made known, the news was received with almost incredulous surprise. The event cast gloom over the after proceedings. Immediately on the serious nature of Toman's injuries being known to the crowd, a collection was started en bis behalf, this realising 20 6s. 9d. The Wolverhampton club have also promised a subscription of £5 towards the fund. Tbe accident may easily end the career of Toman, who was born at Bishop Auckland. He played college football several parts of the country. He subsequently went to Aberdeen, and became associated with tbe Strollers, and in 1896 he donned the jersey of the Victoria United Club and came into prominence through assisting Dundee. Toman came to Burnley in the November of 1896. Toman was by far the best centre Burnley have had, and they could not afford to keep him, he being sold to Everton at the end season 1883-9. He left Goodison Park after one season for Southampton, but returned at the beginning of the present season.

September 13 1901. The Liverpool Courier
Last night the new St.Helens Town met Everton Combination, at the St Helens Ground. Both teams play several new men, a very promising in Bailey on the extreme left. Everton manisfied their superiority in Combination, but a stubborn and hard working eleven opposed them, and the Town were the first to score. Eccles putting through from a corner, well place by Leigh. Everton almost immediately equalized, and at half time the score was Two goals were put on by the visiting, but ten minutes Eccles scored for the Town with a capital shot, a well fought gave ended in a win for Everton by three goals to two.

Nottingham Evening Post - Saturday 14 September 1901
Poor Toman, the Everton centre forward, is now an inmate of the Liverpool Infirmary, and it is improbable that he will play football again this season.
Proudfoot, the ex-Blackburn Rover, has regained his old position as centre forward in the Everton team as a result of the unfortunate accident to Toman.
Jimmy Settle was not a great success for Everton in their opening match, but he excelled himself against wolverhampton, and scored three fine goals in the first half.
The Everton spectators showed their practical sympathy with Toman on Saturday by a collection on the ground, which realized $20 6s, 9d. The Wolverhampton Wanderers club also promised $5 towards the funds.

September 16 1901. The Liverpool Courier
Amid perfect surrounding the first match of the season between these rivals was brought off on Saturday. Although the sun was shinning it was not too warm for football, the conditions generally being quite stated to the occasion. Special preparation had been made to accommodate the crowd, seats being placed along the edge of the playing pitch. It was estimated that there were quite 30,000 spectators present before the ball was kicked off. The men lined up at 3-30 as follows: -
Liverpool: - Perkins, goals, Glover, and Dunlop, backs, Wilson, Raiseback (captain), and Goldie, half-backs, Bowen, McGuigan, Raybould, White, and Cox, forwards. Everton: - Muir, goals, Balmer and Watson, backs, Boyle, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half backs, Sharp, Taylor, Proudfoot, Settle, and Bell, forwards.
Everton won the toss, but this brought little advantage, the breeze being of the slightest. The visitors were the first to get going and Sharp were very dangerous, when Wilson fouled him. The free kick was worked away, and then the Liverpool forwards dashed off Raisebeck checked a return by Proudfoot and then Bowen dashed along the wing. He finished with a beautiful centre. The ball flashed past McGuigan and Raybould, but White received it, and slammed the leather into the net-a beautiful goal. This success was met with howls of joy by the Liverpoolians and encouraged by the cries the home side kept up a rattling attack. Muir had to throw away, from an attack by the home left, and Raybould afterwards shot a tard wide from long range. Play continued in favour of Liverpool. McGuigan on the left wing keeping the Everton defenders busy. Muir again had to handle, but at length Settle dashed off, but was foul before he had gone many yards. Raisebeck nullified the free kick, but for a time play was in the home half. Proudfoot could not get at the ball to shoot and Goldie cleared, but another foul was given against Wilson close in. Perkins threw away, but Jack Sharp with a beautiful shot at close range dragged the ball round into the net. The teams were now level. Only about ten minutes had gone, and two goals having been scored, the spectators recognized they were in for a good thing. Liverpool pressed on the left wing, White and Cox downing yeoman service, but Balmer was in good form, and he gave nothing away. From a throw in close in Raybould missed a possible chance of heading into the net, and after some midfield play, Cox shot yards wide. Despite the best efforts of the Evertonians play stopped in the visitors half, until at length Jack Sharp raced away. His partner however, spoiled the move by foul tactics, and afterwards Dunlop showed good play in allowing the ball to travel behind. At the other end, Bowen was conspicuous, but Watson charged him off the ball at the last minutes, and Muir had no difficulty in clearing the stiff shot, which he sent in a grand passing run by the Everton right gave delight to their followers, but Dunlop and Raisebeck checked Taylor prettily, and once again play ruled in the visitors territory. From a foul against Everton. McGuigan netted the ball, but the point was disallowed. Sharp again got off, and Perkins had to run out and handle, the long man from Luton, throwing the leather halfway up the field. Pretty work of White, Raybould, and McGuigan ended in the latter having a perfect chance, but his shot was ridiculously weak, and Muir easily saved, although the custodian ran far out of his goal, dribbling the ball in very brishy fashion. Another dash by the Everton right, all the play was on the Everton right and the home left wing, ended in Sharp over running the ball, and the thrown in was faulty done. Despite this check, the visiting returned and a foul against the homesters led to a close attack. finishing with Settle sending outside. Still attacking, Taylor had a pop at goal, but Perkins was not troubled. The Everton right wing, and they gained fruitless corners from a slip by Dunlop. Settle had a perfect chance, but to the disappointing of the Everton spectators, he shot high over the bar, and then Taylor, with a very fair opening, against sent the ball into the air. In a scrimmage in the Everton goal, White fell heavily, and was led off the playing pitch for a rest. Soon after this the visitors got down, and Settle getting possession from Proudfoot sent in a low hard shot, which beat Perkins, and put Everton ahead by 2 goals to 1. Bell was penalised for handling, but nothing more was done to the Interval. Half time Result: - Everton 2; Liverpool 1.

One resuming White was with the front line, and he seemed none the worst for his expectations. The clever inside man radildly got Cox at work, but the sprinter centred with regard to the position of Raybould, who could not reach the ball. Liverpool had the best of the opening exchanges. From a long return by Dunlop, Raybould got possession and spinning round the heel, he shot in a hard one, which beat Muir all to easily, and put the teams on level term. At 2 goals all, This was within a few minutes of the resumption, and Everton retaliated with a view to reappearing the experience of the first half, Raisebeck cleared from Proudfoot and Settle, but in doing so hurt his leg. The game was stopped for a few minutes, but the centre half resumed, White was practically useless; owing to his injured shoulder, and Cox played inside. Towards the end Everton pressed, White who had been holding his shoulder all the time as if in pain, got the worst of a collision with settle, and once more the game was stopped for a few minutes. Settle was penalised for a foul, but from this Bell raced away, and Perkins had to run out to clear. Play rapidly changed ends, the teams apparently being very evenly matched. Final Resul5t Everton 2 goals, Liverpool end.

September 16 1901. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination. (Game 2)
Having opened their Lancashire Combination season with a defeat of two goals, to one at Rossendale. Everton on Saturday received a visit from Burnley Reserves. Young kicked off for Everton, and clever work by the centre and Bone gave Roche a chance, but he shot very wide. Neat work by the Everton halves put the visitors on the defensive, and Young opened the score from a free kick. A second gaol was not long in coming, for Roche got possession from close quarters and beat the custodian. Burnley made a great effort to rub off one of the points. Kitchen saving splendidly from Ridsdale and Hargreaves. A warm attack at goal followed, and as Spencer was saving from Chadwick, Paterson rushed up and put the ball i8nto the net for the third time. Towards the interval, Spencer saved splendidly from Young, the resulting corner being worked away. Half time Everton 3; Burnley nil. Final Result Everton 6; Burnley nil. Everton: - Kitchen goal, Sharp, and Eccles, backs, Wolstenholmes, Clark, and Blythe, half-backs, Roche, Paterson, Young, Bone, and Chadwick (j), forwards.

September 16 1901. The Liverpool Mercury
The League champions opened their series of home games under the most suspicious conditions, and no more enticing curtain raiser could have been desired that a meeting between them. And their keenest rivals, Everton. The Weather was delightfully fine, and in this respect compensated somewhat for the lugubrious conditions, which prevailed when the sides fought at Anfield, and the Liverpool treasurer must have chottled with glee, as the crowd rolled up in thousands to the scene of the conflict. Nothing stirs the pulse of the local followers of the dribbling code like the struggle between the seaport's premier League clubs, and to even hint of the decadence of the winger pastime under the surrounding sundar to these which, prevailed at Anfield on Saturday, could only be regarded as rank heresy. Nearly thirty thousands ardent enthusiasts congregated inside the enclosure, whilst a vast number were refused admission some time before actual operations commenced. Those who mustered on the popular parts of the ground appeared to be having an exciting time of it during the minutes of waiting and many must have carried away with them some tangible recognition of two hours pressure. It was a good humoured, well-conducted crowd, however, and the reward was forthcoming in the shape of a battle royal between the combatants. One in which, neither side could lay claim to much advantage, in point of play, but one which fairly brustled with interesting incidents, and like a hesitating balance. Fluctuated alternately to either party, until it finally terminated its motion in an equal adjustment. Rarely has a better display of football between the clubs been witnessed; the men played the game in most praiseworthy fashion, and were content to concentrate their energies on the ball rather than the player. There were occasional instances of retrogression, but Referee Lewis allowed no liberties of this nature to pass unchecked, and it is pleasing to be able to record that such keen rivals can fight their battles unbiased by any other conditions than those of pure sportsmanship. Liverpool fairly delighted their supporters by the dashing manner in which they continued their task, and in less than five minutes their jubilation ran riot. A long pass from Raisebeck placed the ball beyond Abbott, and in a twinkling Bowen was after it. Closely pursed by Watson. The Everton back, however, made little effort to tackle his opponents, who thus centred with ease, and the ball flashed across the goalmouth to White, one of the Anfielder's recruits from Queen's Park Rangers, and Everton were a goal in rarer. For some time the home forwards simply overwhelmed the Everton defence, but the visitors gradually settled down to their work, and from a foul against Wilson. Sharp equalised, the ball, after being well placed by Abbott and returned by Perkins, appearing to be driven by Dunlop against the Everton right winger. Off whom it cannoned into the net. Settle scored a pretty goal just before in the interval and three minutes after the resumption Raybould preformed a similar feat from almost the same position. At the commencement of each half did Liverpool show to advantage, whereas Everton were superior in their later stages, and the result therefore faithfully portrays the general run of the play. Much interest was evinced as to how the newly constituted forward line of the home side would act, but those who had any qualies as to its efficiently quickly had they four set at rest. A very business like Combination did it prove, well balanced, skillful, and dashing and had it been more judiciously nursed by the half backs line, would probably have been more effective. It was decidedly unfortunate for this line that White should, owing to a fall which badly bruised his shoulder, have been materially handicapped in his subsequent play, and the accident certainly upset the smoothness with which the left wing had previously worked. Sufficient was however, shown to prove the Southerners to be an intelligent player, his passing was extremely tricky, and rather nonplussed Boyle, who was frequently outmaneurved by his opponents. With this branch of the attack working under the ordinary conditions it is easy to imagine that the Everton defence would have been more sorely troubled. On the right Bowen was a very difficult customer to tackle, and it seen's rather strange that he was not more assiduously attended to. He was not worked to anything like the extent he should have been for he seemed to be complete master of Watson, and only wanted a useful halfbacks behind to make matters sultry for Everton. One could have forgiven Liverpool had they concentrated their whole efforts on this wing for some time, to the extent of leaving the other extremely of the line severely alone. Raybould was clever in the centre and as a body the Liverpool front rank performed their share creditably. The Everton quintet worked well times, but they had some slow periods, and they did not combine with that facility which marked their doings in their two previous games. At intervals, however, they were extremely incisive in their attacks and reached a high standard of ability. They were not by any means at their best, and concerted action was indulged in, but occasionally, but in these latter instance they required much stopping. In the second half, bell was seen to advantage, and after a feeble opening, improved as the game progressed. Whilst none was unduly prominent many smart movements were achieved, and Sharp sent across some capital centres, which deserved a better late than the majority gained. At half back the play on both sides was only moderate, and the Everton were the weaker side in this respect. Abbott alone upheld the dignity of the line, for Booth was extremely inaccurate in his placing, and showed little dash or judgement in attending to his forwards. Boyle was not so prominent and taken altogether the halfbacks line of Everton was distinctly disappointing. The opponents was little later, and the weakest member of the Liverpool halves was Wilson. His roaming propensities made a gap in the defence, which often let in the Everton left wing, and had he devoted his attention more to the ball and less to the man, his play would not have suffered one whit. Raisbeck too, was not up to concert pitch, in defence he was extremely useful, but many excellent bits of work were nullified by his continued placing to the feet of the Everton full backs. Goldie was the best half on the field, and the persistent manner in which he attended to his wing was only equally in efficiency by the matter in which he dogged the speedy Sharp. At full back, Liverpool were better balance, for although Balmer gave a splendid display of sound tackling and judicious kicking, his partner Watson was altogether too hesitating in his actions. He did not tackle well, and ought certainly to have shown more decision in his play all round. Dunlop as usual licked sturdy, but he was allowed plenty of room to perform in, and his returns, though vigorous were not over indurious. Glover gave a good display and the defence was satisfactory, for Perkins saved several shots coolly and effectively and one clearance from Proudfoot was a rare feat. No fault could be found with Muir, who had no chance with the balls that scored. Under the circumstances a drawn game was a most fitting termination to splendidly contested fight, and both sides fully deserved.

September 17 1901. The Liverpool mercury
Lancashire Combination (Game 3)
Played at Glossop yesterday. The first half was very much in favour of the visitors, who severely pressed the home defence. Dearnsley in goal effected some smart clearances, and the home backs were responsible for a lot of excellent work. No score at the interval. On resuming Glossop had the wind in their favour, but they were to make headway, and were repeatedly placed on the defensive, Roche tested Dearnsley with a magnificent shot, which the latter successfully cleared. Bone scored for Everton in the last few minutes and Everton won by a goal to nil.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Tuesday 17 September 1901
At Glossop last night, in showery weather. Play opened decidedly in favour of the visitors, who continued on the aggressive throughout the first half, but the defence of Glossop was impregnable, and the teams crossed over without a goal being scored. On resuming Glossop had the wind their favour, and tho opening stages showed a marked improvement, but later Everton again forced the game, and after repeated saves by Dearnley, Bone scored in the last few minutes. Result: EVERTON RESERVE 1 goal. Glossop Reserve 0 goal.

Mr. R. Molyneux Resigns
Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Wednesday 18 September 1901
According to a statement the Liverpool Echo last night, Mr. R. Molyneux the secretary of the Everton Football Club, has resigned his position. No clue is given to the reasons that have moved him to that step, but it is said that he is determined to adhere to his decision. Whatever be the cause, however, there is doubt as to what its effect will be, for he is one of the most experienced officials connected with the game, and although the success that ought have attended such a bold policy as his has not been realised, I believe that that is not to attributed to anything his part so much to outside influences. Mr. Molyneux has been associated with the club as honorary and paid official for 14 years, and, if his resignation does take effect, the Everton club will be appreciably the poorer.

Burnley Express - Wednesday 18 September 1901
After the displays by the Burnley Reserve, and the fact that Everton Reserve had come a cropper where was least expected, it is not surprising that the Turfites second string sustained reverse at Goodison Park on Saturday. Everton opened the scoring seven minutes, and following even play wrested several corners, and eventually overcame the Turfites' defence on two occasions. Thus at half-time Everton were three ahead. After the change of ends the home side continued to have the better of the pay, and adding three more goals, they ran out easy winners by six goals to nil.

September 18 1901. The Liverpool Mercury
The directors of the Everton football club were at Goodison Park last evening and decided to accepted the Resignation of Mr.Molyneux, as secretary of the club.

Mr. Lewis
Lancashire Evening Post - Thursday 19 September 1901
it was reported in Liverpool yesterday that Mr. jno Lewis, of Blackburn, had been appointed secretary in succession to Mr. Molyneux, of the Everton F.C. This morning our Blackburn representative saw Mr. Lewis and inquired as to the accuracy of the statement, and was met with the assurance that "If the appointment had been made it is news to me."

September 19, 1901. Evening Telegraph
Mr. R. Molyneux, the Secretary of the Everton Football Club, has tendered his resignation to the Directors, who, after a long sitting and some discussion, ultimately decided to accept the same. Some consideration also took place as to the new secretary, but nothing definite was decided. During the past week, or at any rate since Mr. Molyneux's resignation had been tendered, the Secretarial work has been performed by Mr. W. Cuff, one of the Directors of the Club. Mr. Molyneux has been connected with the Everton Football Club for the past 14 years, and has seen it through its many vicissitudes. He did yeoman service in organization and other matters long before he became its paid officer. He first of all acted as Honorary Assistant Secretary to Mr. Barclay, and on that gentleman's retirement Mr. Molyneux took up the position without receiving any emoluments, and worked hard for some time as its unpaid official. After he reorganization, and when the club became associated with the League, Mr. Molyneux became paid Secretary. It is not necessary to state that Mr. Molyneux has always had the confidence of not only his own club but football organizations throughout the kingdom.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Thursday 19 September 1901
Molyneux, the Secretary of the Football Club, has tendered his resignation to Directors, who, after long sitting and some discussion, ultimately decided to accept the same. Some consideration also took place to the new Secretary, but nothing definite was decided. During the past week, or any rate since Mr Molyneux's resignation had been tendered, the Secretarial work has been performed Mr W. Cuff, one of the Directors of the Club. Mr Molyneux has been connected with the Everton Football Club for the past 14 years, and has seen it through its many vicissitudes. He did yeoman service in organisation and other matters long before he became its paid officer. He first of all acted as Honorary Assistant Secretary to Mr Barclay, and that gentleman's retirement Mr Molyneux took up the position without receiving any emoluments, and worked hard for some time as its unpaid official. After the reorganisation, and when the Club became associated with the League, Mr became paid Secretary. It is not necessary to Mate Mr Molyneux has always had the confidence of not only his own Club, but football organisations throughout the kingdom.

September 19, 1901 Evening Telegraph
The Resignation of the Secretary
Mr. R. Molyneux, the Secretary of the Everton Football Club, who, after a long sitting and some discussion, ultimately decided to accept the same. Some consideration also took place as to the new Secretary, but nothing definite was decided. During the past week, or at any rate since Mr. Molyneux's resignation had been tendered, the Secretarial work has been performed by Mr. W. Cuff, one of the Directors of the Club. Mr. Molyneux has been connected with the Everton Football Club for the past 14 years, and has seen it through its many vicissitudes. He did yeoman service in organization and other matters long before he became its paid officer. He first of all acted as Honorary Assistant Secretary to Mr. Barclay, and on that gentleman's retirement Mr. Molyneux took up the position without receiving any emoluments, and worked hard for some time as its unpaid official. After the reorganization, and when the club became associated with the League, Mr. Molyneux became paid Secretary. It is not necessary to state that Mr. Molyneux has always had the confidence of not only his own club but football organiastions throughout the kingdom.

Alex McDonald and Alex Stewart
Nottingham Evening Post - Saturday 21 September 1901
Alex McDonald, the Southampton forward, who came from Everton, learned all his earlier football in Belfast, playing for a junior team Woodvale, then for a while with Linfield, and afterwards for Patrick Thistle, of Glasgow. from there he migrated to Jarrow, from which Everton got his transfer.
Alec Stewart, late of Everton, Nottingham Forest, and Notts, who has just been transferred to Burnley, the club with which he first played in England, has been secured by the Turf Moor organiastion as a coach but was noticed that he turned out for them on the left wing in a Charity Cup match on Monday.

Secretary Molynuex
Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 21 September 1901
The local football sensation of the week in the resignation of Secretary Molyneux, of Everton F.C. It was the last thing that liverpoolians expected. they would as soon have looked for Everton to disappear as its secretary from his accumstomed office - a position which he held for 12 years, before which he was a committee man. i cannot recall the time, indeed, a few people can, when Mr. Molyneux was not in some way or other associated with the club. They were so completely indentified that when you thought of the one you inevitably thought of the other. and now the ties that seemed life-long are severed, and Goodison will know Secretary Molyneux no more. into the causes of his departure I cannot enter here; in fact, all that is known definetly is that he sent in his resignation, and that it was accepted. i suppose there will be no lack of candidates for the $300 a year salary and "perks."

The honours of the great game at Anfield last week were gained for Liverpool Bowen and White, and J. Sharp and Settle for Everton. Bowen, late of the Wolves,” is very swift —he had far too much pace for Watson. Everton's back—and was his fine centre that enabled White to score, in addition to which Bowen himself practically scored the second goal, for Raybould merely assisted, though it was put to his credit. White, late Queen's Park Rangers, showed great dash, even after his shoulder had been injured. These two men have put fresh life into the Liverpool front rank, and as long they play like they did last Saturday Robertson cannot expect put on again. He has only himself 'blame, for his displays against Small Heath and Stoke were quite spiritless. The other Robertson (at back) is not qualified to play for Liverpool until the September. He got into trouble in a Cup-tie Nottingham last February, was ordered off the field, and finally suspended for the first month of the present season. It hard line* for the champions and for him, for he is, or was, their best back, and they want him if they are to retain their title. In Settle and Sharp Everton have a couple of prolific goal-getters; Sharp. I should say, is the Mold of the football field, and fortunately for him, there is no Phillips object his delivery, which like rocket. He is, indeed, splendid athlete—county cricketer and League footballer —and 'hi* average for Everton should be as high his average for Lancashire. The smartness all the Everton forwards points to heavy scoring by them during the season; and if their defence is only equal to their attack, I stick to my opinion that the championship, while changing hands, will not leave the Mersey city.

September 23 1901. The Liverpool Courier
Jack Sharp carried off, early in the second half, with a sprained tendon in the upper part of his leg.
Though the weather in the early part of the day looked threatening the rain kept out for this important League match at Goodison road. The Newcastle United team have invariantly given Everton a good game, and last season they had the distinction of extracting the maximum points from Everton. Naturally the home eleven were anxious to make emends to these failure. There was no alteration in either team, and at 3-30 the players faced as follows: -
Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Watson backs, Boyle, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, and Proudfoot, Settle, and Bell, forwards. Newcastle United: - Kingsley, goals, Garner, and Bennie, backs, Ghee, Aitkens, and Carr, half-backs, Stewart, Gardner (a), Niblo, Orr, and Roberts forwards. Referee Mr.Adams.
Booth won the toss, for Everton, but there was not much advantage in this. Niblo kicked off in the presence of 20,000 spectators. At once the visiting left wing went down in fine style, but the ball was sent behind. The same player a moment later was again prominent, Roberts and Orr passing with remarkable cleverness. Again the final shot went over the line. The Evertonians then took up the running and Sharp got in a nice centre, when Bell met, the ball however, landing on the net. Clever passing between Settle and Bell followed, and the latter forced a corner in grand style, but in placing this he put it over the line. United if anything seemed rather smarter on the ball then Everton. For the main part, however, play was confined to midfield until as the result of smart dash by the right wing. Kingsley fisted from Sharp. Give and take play was the order of the day and so far there was nothing very striking. Kingsley was called upon after Sharp had put in smart work, and at the other end a corner was forced. The ball was well placed, and danger appeared imminent, but to the satisfaction of the crowd, Niblo headed over. Orr ran half the length of the field, and though hampered by Balmer had a shot at goal, the leather going right over the crossbar, at this stage the United were exerting pretty severe pressure, but the Everton defence prevailed and afterwards some rather slow play followed. The visitors did not utilize a free kick through a foul by Settle, and the next item of interest was a run and centre by Sharp. The ball hovered around the Newcastle goalmouth, but thoroughly in could not be sent, the workmanship of the Everton men being poor quality. The United forwards rushed down in threatening fashion, and Booth fouling Niblo they had a free kick close in, the ball was sent harmlessly over the line. There were dries of “ play up Everton” and they were not ill-timed, for the form of the Everton representative so far was distinctly disappointing. Kingsley was called upon to save from Proudfoot, and a few minutes later Abbott made the best attempts of the afternoon, the ball was travelling at a tremendous pace, missing the mark by inches. The United left changed the venue, and the ordinary kick they must have scored. They had themselves to Balmer, for Stewart when nicely placed shot yards of the post. For some time there was little to choose between the teams, and with the game mainly in midfield the goalkeepers had practically nothing to trouble them. Off had sent high over the bar, from long range, when the whistle blew for the interval.

On resuming after aimless attacks by both sides, Bell put in a really stinging shot, which was cleverly fasted away by Kingsley. There was a lack of anything like descent combination, and the visitors forced their way into Everton territory and to fail miserably at the final effort. A stoppage was occasioned, owing to Sharp being injured in a collision with Bennie, and the popular right winger had to be attended on the side of the ground, when play was continued. There was nothing very interesting in the game, the Everton attack though they tried desperately, being unable to trouble Kingsley. Niblo raced away, only to be pulled up for offside. Meanwhile Elliott the Everton trainer carried Sharp, whose leg appeared to be injured, off the ground. Although handicapped by the loss of the speedy outside man, Everton had quite as much as the game as their opponents. Niblo shot wide, and for some time throws ins, and free kicks, lessened the interest of the game. From a Niblo pass, Orr placed the ball into the net, but he was obviously offside, and the game finish with no goals scored.

September 23 1901. The Liverpool Courier
Lancashire Combination. (Game 4)
At Padiham. Whalley made a good centre, but it was abortive. Everton now pressed, Duxbury in clearing kicked against the Everton forwards, the ball rebounding into the net. Padiham now pressed, having hard luck in not scoring. At half time, Everton were leading by a goal to nil. In the second half, the home team had the best of matters. Whitham, Finninghan, and Law having shots, at goal, Kitchen saving well. The Visitors now broke away, Broadwell giving a corner. Everton scoring a minute later through Roche. Finnigan made a good run, Sharp sending the ball out of play, and Everton eventually winning by 2 goals to nil.
Everton: - Kitchen goal, Sharp, and Eccles, backs, Wolstenholmes, Clark, and Blythe, half-backs, Roche, Paterson Worthington, Bone, and Chadwick (j), forwards .

September 23 1901. The Liverpool Mercury.
The outcome of one of the feeblest games witnessed at Goodison park for some considerable time was a goodless draw, a result which scarely demonstrates the superiority of the Newcastle players over Everton, but which in another sense, was a fitting conclusion to a somewhat depressing match. In their three previous games, the Everton had fared most satisfactory, and their play had been of a guality stifficient to produce bright hopes for the future. Their sudden falling away in form in their most recent encounter therefore was certainly surprising, particularly as the constitution of the sides was identical with that which drew at Anfield, and with one exception the same that had beaten Manchester City, and the Wolves. To account for such a complete reversal must therefore be put down to the calibre of the opposition, and indeed, when the last time the United players were at Goodison park they not only won, but the Everton team give a similarly sorry exhibition, there appears some fairly substantial ground for such a supposition. There was absolutely no comparison between the teams as regards combination and dash, for the Northerners were all over their opponents, and it was only their rank incompetency in front of goal a failing which stood in dazzling contrast to their otherwise excellent pedipulations-that prevented them from carrying away full points again. Very rarely was it that the Everton attack succeeded in over coming the sturdy halfbacks line of the Novocastrians and amidst such a mass unsatisfactory work, but one superior feature can the home side last claim to namely greater deadiness in levelling shots at goal. Reasoning on this basis, it is safe to assert that had Everton possessed the opportunities that their rivals gained, they would have achieved a more tangible reward for their efforts. The difference in the style of play adopted by the respective sides was most marked for whereas the visitors were full of energy, and worked together at a concerted manner, the home team were in comparison lethargic and dilatory, and as for combined efforts, little was witnessed. The Forwards were extremely weak, though it should not be forgotten that, owing to an injury to Sharp, who sprained a tendon in the upper part of his leg, which necessitated his being carried off the field, they had to battle throughout the second half minus the outside right. But even in the initial moiety, and with a full complement, they did not convey the impression of playing a winning game, for they did not show that harmony and incisiveness of movement that could break up and again the upperhand of the strong defence opposed to them. In the centre Proudfoot was only at rare occasions able to gain possession for Aitkens simply smothered the leader of the home attack with the pivot of the van helpless, it became doubly difficult for the wing operators to make much headway. These latter were by no means in a happy mood, and even admitting the excellence of the Newcastle half backs division they failed to display any particular smartness equal to circumventing the solidity of the defence. Lack of skill, decisive movements and determination were the prominent features of the Everton forward lines and they only approached something like their usual form in the last ten minutes of the game, when they seemed to throw themselves into the fray, with greater real and persistency. Neither did the half-backs line appear to advantage, though Abbott worked hard throughout, and was the most prominent of the trio, but whilst Booth and Boyle, did smart things occasionally, they were not a thorn in the side of the opposition, and often failed to cope effectively with the United front rank. Further behind the defence was fairly reliable and a vast amount of work devopled upon them. Watson gave an improved display and little fault could be found with this part of the team whilst Muir had thanks to the fairly of the opponents near goal. had nothing to do. The visitors as already stated were very smart in midfield, and their forwards well led by the impressible Niblo, made light work of the Everton resistance, and had opportunities galore of winning the match. Such wretched shooting, as they gave his seldom been seen continuing throughout a whole game, and it was immaterial whether the opening was favourable of otherwise, for the ball was never driven, in the direction of the goal net. Not a shot had Muir to handle that would have caused the downfall of his charge, and thus all the excellence of the United previous movements was signally foiled by their own inability to put in a decent shot. The halves were a capital trio, very tricky and attending assiduously to their forwards, whilst the full backs kicked sturdily, and Garner tackled grandly. Kingsley preformed well in goal, and he had a couple of awkward shots to fist away near the close of the game, but the match was not one in which, neither custodian was often troubled. It was a sadly disappointing game, not merely by reasons of Everton failing to gain was verdict, as by the feebly spasmodic and anemic character at their play.

Burnley Express - Wednesday 25 September 1901
Padiham on Saturday played Everton Reserve on their own ground in the presence a large number of spectators. The teams were—Padiham: Duxbury, Smalley, Boardwell, Robson, Uttley, Whitham, Whalley, Finnigan, Law, Taylor, and Dewhurst. Everton: Kitchen, Sharp, Eccles, Wolstenholme, Clark, Blyths, Roche, Patterson, Worthington, Boan, and Chadwick. Mr. Sutcfiffe was referee. Midfied play continued for some time, and then Padiham commenced to press. After several exchanges Everton got the ball and ran down the field, scoring the first goal after about ten minutes' play. They continued to assert themselves and shewed much better form than The home side, however, improved, and for about five minutes some lively play was seen in front of Everton's goal, experiencing hard lines. The home team wrested several corners, but owing to the good play the visiters' backs and custodian tbe bail was kept out of tbe net. Play became even for time, and then became dangerous, but poor shooting spoiled their efforts, Whitham, who had a good opening, shooting over the bar. The game was even until half-time. The score was then one to nil favour of Everton. The visitors notched second point, and won two goals to none. Padiham made a very creditable display, hewever, and capital attempts were made and Finnigan, Kitchen saving finely.

SEPTEMBER 25 1901. THE Liverpool Mercury
The weekly meeting of the directors of the Everton Football Club was held at the office of Goodison park, last evening, when the question appointing a successor to Mr.Molyneux was discuss. A large number of applications have been received, but it was decided to advertise for a secretary.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 28 September 1901
At Birmingham, before 22,000 spectators. Villa made several changes, Bache playing centre, and Murray, Banks, and Pearson being introduced. Playing against the wind, Villa started grandly, Bache and Murray having hard line. The Everton had a turn, George saving twice. Bell made a grand shot, which went across the goal. The Villa a grand shot, proved form, quite held their own. Half-time; Villa 0, Everton 0

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 30 September 1901
Played at Birmingham. before 23.000 spectators. Playing against the wind, the Villa started grandly, and Murray having hard luck. Then Everton had a turn, but nothing was scored to the interval. On resuming. Everton were very aggresive, and after the Villa goal had had several luekv escapes Abboott scored with a curling shot. The Villa tried hard to get on terms, and Just before the finish Bache equalised. the game ending in a draw of of 1 goal each

September 30 1901. The Liverpool Courier
Llody order off for kicking Abbott.
On Saturday Everton played practically their first away match of the season. Anfield road can scarcely been regarded as foreign territory. Two men for the first time carried the Everton colours in a League engagement. Young at centre forward and Roche at outside right. Wolstenholmes moreover occupied his old position of right half back for the first time this season. from the Villa, Johnson. Garrity, and Miller were absentees. Bache was tried in the centre forward position, and Murray had his first League engagement at the inside right. At 3-30 the teams faced each other as follows: -
Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer, and Watson, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Roche Taylor, Young, Settle, and Bell, forwards. Aston Villa: - George, goal, Noon, and Crabtree, backs, Perason, Wood, and Wilkes, half-starts, Lloyd, Murray, Bache Banks, and Templeton, forwards.

The Everton players were the first to appear, and a crowd of some 15,000 people, who cheered more heartily when the Villa bounded on the enclosure, welcome them. The wind blew pretty strongly across the ground, Everton won the toss, and immediately the ball was set going. Wilkes placed nicely across the field to Templeton, and Murray when in a capital position to testing Muir was beaten in the race for possession by Balmer. This was the signal for a spirited attack on the visitors goal, and one touch from Banks, followed by a neat centre by Lloyd, set the Everton rearguard extended to their best efforts. Booth supplemented a strong punt by Abbott, with the resulting play veered to the other end, when Wolstenholmes got his wing well in play. A free kick was given against Everton, but no tangible advantage occurred. Banks and Wilkes changed the venue and a brilliant run down and a cross by Templeton was missed, when Muir would have had little chance of saving. Lloyd recovered himself, only to find Booth's head in the way of a good shot. During the next few minutes play was in midfield without much advantage to either side, Young made headway, but was upset by Woods and on the ball coming to Taylor, a rather weak shot was sent over the line. In a twinkling the ball was at the other end, and Banks under difficulties put in a magnificent shot which but the bottom of the upright. The game continued to be heatedly and smartly contested, and the Villa forwards held more than a slight lead in the operations. Eventually a capital move by Everton looked scoring a point. The ball had been placed to Bell, who transferred to Young, and a deft side pass by Taylor results in a swift rounded of shots at George, the custodian having to throw himself full length, and to concede a corner to save his charge. It was a clever save under the circumstances, if a lucky one. At this stage the Evertonians were gradually getting the better of the opponents. The only outcome however, was a few minutes play was a corner kick by Bell, which thoroughly well placed, was successfully negotiated by Noon. Booth next had a shot, which went the way of the rest, and Everton continued to have the best of the argument. The game continued interesting, but more by reason of sheer determination to gain ground, than in shooting at goal. Muir saved from Lloyd just as the whistle blew for the interval. Half time Everton nil; Aston Villa nil.

When the second half was commencement there were fully 20,000 persons. Everton were at the Villa end, when Bell shot wide of the mark. Immediately afterwards Muir had twice to save, the second time from a corner kick. The ball travelled from end to end with a great rapidity, and on several occasions, Balmer and Banks had assages at arms. Twenty minutes from the restart Noon got penalised. The free kick was taken by Booth, and after Crabtree had headed out of goal. Abbott met the ball in the air and scored a brilliant goal. The Villa rearranges their fist line and just before the finish. Bache shot in Muir saved,. But was evidently over the line, at the time, for the point was given against Everton, the referee consulting with the linesmen, Lloyd was ordered off the field for kicking. Abbott just before time. Final result Aston Villa 1 goal Everton 1.

September 30 1901. THE Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination. (Game 5)
At Goodison Park. After the opening exchanges Paterson defeated Topping, the visitors tried hard to equalise, but met with a stern defence. Clark then shot into the net, but the point was disallowed. Sykes defeated the visiting custodian with a good shot. From this Everton were in the ascendant, and O'Brien added another goal. Everton: - Kitchen goal, Sharp, and Eccles, backs, Boyle (captain), Clarke, and Blythe, half-backs, Daly, Paterson, Stykes, Bone, and O'Brien, forwards.

September 31 1901. The Liverpool Mercury
Games between Everton and Villa no matter how the teams had previously fared, have always been productive of capital sport, but the contest on Saturday could scarcely come under such category, though the issue was of the closest possible character. Changes in the respective teams would undoubtedly exercise a district and deterrent influence, but though on other occasions they availed nothing, there was the exception on Saturday, as the player rarely brought out the nicer points of the game. It was more by reasons of sheer determination and persistent go-aheadedness than by claim and incisive method that interest was sustained, and the lack of steadying influence in the team was never more forcibly demonstrated. The remark more aptly applies to the display of the respective forwards and halfbacks, who expended an amount of energy, unfortunately misdirected, sufficient to carry then through a couple of stern contests. Racing after the ball consequently upon ill judged and ill-timed passing was frequently noticeable during the game, and individual elements was once again in the ascendencing. The Villa supporters viewed the contest with many misgiving, owing to the poor form displayed by their favourites. In addition to the repeated changes on the side, but early on in the game, their doubts gave place to bright hopes as the van set a terrific pace, and gave the visitors defenders many anxious moments. High class back play, in which Balmer was always prominent, frustrated all attempts at scoring, and following a period off midfield work, in which, neither side could claim much advantage, the Everton players cut out the pace, and by better finishing touches, were the more a dangerous side. Still there was not a plethors of these, but what came to George required his best efforts, and his demonstrated that he was a custodian of more than ordinary merit. As in the opening portion of the first half. Villa maintained a heavy pressure immediately after the resumption, when the Everton forwards followed with a magnificent bombardment, which fully merited a tangible point. After twenty minutes play Abbott met the ball, following upon a free kick against noon, and with effort rarely equalised on the football field, scored a magnificent goal. Despite all attempts by the Villa, the visiting defence kept their charge intact until the closing minutes of play, when the referee, after apparently passing unheeded a claim for a goal, consulted the linesmen, and pointed to the centre. Rache put in the ball, and it was contended that Muir was over the line on clearing. The Referee was at a good position for judging the appeal, and one could not come not come to any other conclusion than that clamoring of the crowd had more than an ordinary bearing upon his decision for certainly the linesmen were not sufficiently well up to be thoroughly satisfield upon the point. The decision was received with very bad grace, and it was some minutes or so, before the players took up their places when followed a most untoward incident, that fortunately rarely occurs even in these days of high pressure football. Watson charged Lloyd in a manner more forcibly than gentlemanly, when the latter retaliated by kicking his opponent, and of course aid the extreme penalty. It was an impleasant hard fought game. Coming to the teams, and dealing with the Everton forwards, much interest was of course, centred in the new recruits, Young and Roche, it is setting a big task to young players, to face the trails of a stern League battle before a most critical crowd away from home, and under such conditions they can claim some consideration. The post of centre forward is one, which is filled often badly, occasionally well. Young struck a medium vein, in many respects is satisfactory, for frequent association alone will enable him to overcome that nervousness, which was so noticeable during the game. He was a trifle slow at recovery, and occasionally weak in passing, but he did not do at all badly, for first attempts, and coming trials will be awaited with interest. Roche display a penchant for lying too far up the field, and often the smooth working of the line as a whole was discounted in conjunction with Taylor the play on this wing was not up to its usual effective standard and it was unfortunate that the inside must have bestowed so much attention to his opponents as to necessitate free kick being given against his side for the outcome of one of these was the equalizing goal to the Villa. Bell was unquestionably the most resourceful stylish and efficient forwards on the field, and it goes without saying that had proper support been extended to him, his side must have returned victory by a comfortable margin. His command of the ball was excellent, and when it is remembered that he often received it under difficulties, and turned almost impossible chances of good account, the value of his services cannot be over estimated. Settle took matters somewhat leisurely, so that the general play of the line took more of a spasmodic turn than the steady concerted action. Changes in the Villa front line also gave anxiety to the home supporters, but whatever then, other shortcomings were overcome obstacles by sheer hardwork. The activity, which they displayed often, gave than an advantage, which unfortunately they did not understand how to use by the second half, four out of the quintet were if various time officiating as centre forward, so that one can readily imagine the fitful nature of the play. During the early stages, the ex-Evertonian Banks together with Templeton gave the Everton backs considerable trouble, and occasionally Bache was prominent, but as a rule they were kept well in check, and much improved methods is necessary to emulate the old prestige of the Villa attack. Half-backs play under the circumstances recounted above was no light task, and it was gratifying to find that Wolstenholmes who has now fully recovered, played a sound game throughout. Booth was often prominent when his side was hard pressed, but the value of his efforts would be materially increased it, he directed his attention more to correct placing of the ball than as was often the case, wild passing. Abbott got through his share with great share of the work with great credit, and his efforts that brought about the downfall of the Villa goal was nothing short of brilliant. On the Villa side, Wood and Wilkes put on much good work, and at full back the speed of Noon, and the capable play of Crabtree often saved George from disaster. Balmer was never in difficulties, his tackling and strong kicking, combined on the occasion with more than ordinary stamped him as the best back on the field. Watson did fairly well, and the respective custodians under pressure got through their task with great credit. To-day the first round of the Lancashire Senior Cup competition. Everton are drawn against white Star Wanderers.

September 31 1901. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Senior Cup Round One.
The Wanderers had choice of grounds for this match, but preferred to visit Goodison Park, where the kick off place at a quarter to five in a very bad light. Everton included Muir, Roche, Young, and Bell of the side that opposed the Villa teams: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Eccles, and Sharp (b), backs, Boyle (captain), Clarke, and Blythe, half-backs, Roche, Paterson, Young, Bone, and Bell, forwards. White Star Wanderers: - Foote, goal, Williams, and Ogilvie, backs, Howarth, Mason and Peate, half-backs, Cunningham, Turner, McGill, McCullough, and Kelly forwards.

The attendance was very meagre. Young started for the home side, and Everton at once pressed, Bell shooting weakly outside McGill was making tracks for Muir, when he was fouled and the Star got down by means of the free kick. Sharp easily cleared, however, and Everton again pressed, Bone heading over the line. Roche looked like racing through the visitor's defence, when he was howled over the free kick being clear by Mason. Boyle dropped the ball into goal, Foote saving and clearing well. Everton were not allowed to monopolise all the game, however, for twice the Star left wing ran down in good style, Eccles at the finish, proving too much for them. Foote saved on his knees as the whistle sounded for a free kick against his side, but the ball was sent into the net without a second player touching it. A moment later the Wanderers custodian saved a good shot from Paterson, but Boyle beat him with a hot low shot from close range. The Star were palpably no match for the home side, but they struck to their work well. Mason and the backs being prominent. A second goal fell to Everton, Boyle being again the scorer with a capital long shot. After Muir had handled for the first time-Boyle passing back from about 30 yards distance-Everton pressed again, Ogilvie heading out a good shot from Clark. McGill the Star centre made many attempts to get away, but Clark held him in check, and the other forwards did little. Once however, Cunningham got away and centred Blythe clearing, and Bell sent the ball right across goal at great speed. Foote distinguished himself by a trio of clever saves from Clark and Bell, and the Wanderers rushed off, Muir running and kicking clear. A hot attack on the visitor's goal followed. Once Peate headed out splendidly, while Foote saved a hot shot from Boyle. McGill led a raid to the other end, and the home goal escaped narrowly. Muir saving from Kelly, while at full length. The Star defenders were quickly called upon Howarth distinguishing himself against bell. Warm shot from Young cannoned off Ogilvie over the line, and from the corner the centre forward headed past Foote. At the interval Everton lead by 3 goals to nil. Everton kept up a strong attack on resuming, and the Star defenders had a very busy time. Foote, Mason, Ogilvie, and Peate all put in good work, but Young beat them all in a clever dribble, and put his side four goals ahead. The inside men missed a fine centre by Bell, and Roche securing, sent the ball a couple of feet on the wrong side of the post. In further attacks by Everton, the ball was banged into the Star goal, time after time, but the visitors defended pluckily. At last Ogilvie concerned a corner, and after the ball had hovered round the visitors goal for some time, Bone gave Foote no chance from close quarters. Mason rescues his side after the backs had been beaten, and the Star right wing dashed off. Cunningham running the ball over the line. Everton quickly asserted then superiority again, and Foote saved from Young right under the bar. McGill took the ball close to the home goal, but Eccles and Sharp between them pulled him up. The Blues did not take matters seriously, but continued to have considerably the best of the game. Young put on his third and Everton sixth. Nothing further was scored, and the game ended Everton 6 goals White Star nil.